Type keyword(s) to search

Pool and Open Water Swimming: Do Not Swallow the Water

8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I checked the temperature during the Walsh-Jennings/Ross vs. Swiss match, which was around 9-10 Rio time. It was only in the low/mid 60's (I got two temperatures, 64 and 66). It's only going to be in the low 70's for the next three or so days. 

But the pool is indoor. I have no idea why some delegations pass out those huge coats and others (notably the Aussies and GB) do not. They're absolutely ridiculous and hilarious. I love how Adrian rocked his when he strutted out to the pooldeck tonight. Even the Live Feed commentators had a good laugh. 

I know, right?  I get that they are trying to stay warm.  But those winter coats, scarves and knit hats look crazy. But I'm also really hot natured-it takes a lot for me to get cold. Plus I have a wee more body fat. Lol

• Love 2
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

But the pool is indoor. I have no idea why some delegations pass out those huge coats and others (notably the Aussies and GB) do not. They're absolutely ridiculous and hilarious. I love how Adrian rocked his when he strutted out to the pooldeck tonight. Even the Live Feed commentators had a good laugh. 

The ideal water temperature for competition is around 76F-78F, so that's what both competition and warm up pool are set to. Thing is, a 76-78F water temperature is darn cold unless you're moving briskly through it. Get out of the warm-up pool towel off decently, and you've still got a cold and damp bathing suit and, depending on personal grooming standards, lots of cold wet hair. Joining the divers' hot tub party is right out because the warm water bath would cause muscle fatigue and stuff and impede your performance so you dress in at least sweats after you get out of the warm up pool in order to try not to feel hypothermic from the cold water even though the air temperature on pool deck can be 80-85F+.

Edited by selkie
  • Love 8

But as a former swimmer/diver, they are a godsend. You get in the warm up pool, swim, get out and then you are blasted by air conditioning or really anything and you are freezing. Something that is comfortable for people watching is not necessarily pleasant when you are getting in and out of the water. Plus the pool water drops your core temperature very fast, so you always freezing. This is also why you see the divers hop into a hot tub. 

• Love 7

You think it might be a way of blocking off competitors during the warmup? I notice many of the swimmers are perpetually decked in goggles, huge headphones, arms crossed. I imagine a big-ass coat draped over their shoulders might be another way to signal "Don't bother me. I'm trying to get in the zone." 

Loving how smart some of these US swimmers are. Prenot is at Cal as a physics major and Simone Manuel is at Stanford? Plus now they have silver medals to add to their kick ass degree. #nerdsrule

Edited by twoods
  • Love 14

What has happened to James Magnussen?  I remember his boasting in 2012 for the 100m free, and then settling for silver.  I thought he was only 21 or so back then.   I know he swam the 4x100 relay where Australia won the bronze.  But I didn't see him in the 100 tonight.  

Did he have a bad trials and an off day?  Or has he missyfranklinned himself into irrelevance?

5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

What has happened to James Magnussen?  I remember his boasting in 2012 for the 100m free, and then settling for silver.  I thought he was only 21 or so back then.   I know he swam the 4x100 relay where Australia won the bronze.  But I didn't see him in the 100 tonight.  

Shoulder injuries (he had surgery last year) and reported indifference in training. He's been passed by others from Team Australia since he looked like the next sprint great.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

But as a former swimmer/diver, they are a godsend. You get in the warm up pool, swim, get out and then you are blasted by air conditioning or really anything and you are freezing. Something that is comfortable for people watching is not necessarily pleasant when you are getting in and out of the water. Plus the pool water drops your core temperature very fast, so you always freezing. This is also why you see the divers hop into a hot tub. 

I understand the need to stay warm. It just seems a little bit extreme, is all. :)

But Phelps lurking under his giant hood has been a godsend to these Games. The look that launched a million memes. 

• Love 1

Pretty much every swim/dive team I have ever been on gave/sold these jackets. They are very common. Maybe because the inner lining which can vary but are usually similar to the lining of uggs, dried quickly so they worked better than towels. I guess I am so use to seeing them, it does not faze me

• Love 2

I was trying to figure out who it is that Ryan Lochte and his new hair color remind me of, and I finally thought of it. 

Does anyone here watch Gigolos (the Showtime series)?  If you do, then you will know who Brace is.    Ryan reminds me of Brace.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Do I remember that the Australian (male) swimmers were expected to clean up in the 2012 Olympics, and then didn't? They're certainly representing pretty well this time around.

I think they were too busy bonding over Stillnox and partying to bother enough about swimming. They paid the price and none more so than James Magnusson. He was supposed to be our next big thing, lost the gold medal by 0.01 and came home with a very tarnished reputation. He has seemed pretty lost ever since so I am glad he at least got a bronze in the 4 x 100m freestyle relay.

I also read in Leisel Jones' book that she had to tear strips off some of our men's freestyle team in London because apparently they could not be bothered going to the pool to support their team-mates when they themselves didn't have a race on. This current men's team has done so much to repair that bad image. It's great to see.

Meanwhile, beyond thrilled for Kyle but gutted for Cam McEvoy because I think the huge weight of public expectation got to him. Nothing much was expected from Kyle except to possibly, maybe get a minor medal. He swam like he had nothing to lose and it worked like a charm!

9 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Meanwhile, beyond thrilled for Kyle but gutted for Cam McEvoy because I think the huge weight of public expectation got to him. Nothing much was expected from Kyle except to possibly, maybe get a minor medal. He swam like he had nothing to lose and it worked like a charm!

Same, katisha, although I had a feeling Chalmers might win after his great split in the 4x100 relay and his heat swim. The Australian media is all over Chalmers now like they were all over Magnussen four years ago. I get pissed off when I see them giving less attention to McEvoy - especially because I suspect the reason is that he's a geeky smart kid with a smaller physique rather than a big meaty jock (which is what Maggie and Chalmers are), and the media think that's how Australians want their sporting heroes to be. I don't think I'm imagining it - what do you reckon?

16 hours ago, Kromm said:

Is it really all that unthinkable that Phelps could change his mind AGAIN and show up again in 4 years? He'd be 35. Ancient by most sporting standards, but if he's a freak of nature it wouldn't be impossible.

Oh please no. I don't know if I could stand another round of Phelpsapalooza.

9 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

A Dutch swimmer in an individual final?

Do you mean the Belgian who got silver in the men's 100m freestyle? His name is Pieter Timmers. I couldn't remember the last time I saw a Belgian win a swimming medal, but apparently it was Frédérik Deburghgraeve in Atlanta (1996), who won gold in the 100m breaststroke and set a world record as well. Apart from that they've only ever won two medals in swimming.

9 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Anybody anchoring a relay opposite Katie Ledecky must just have developed a fatalistic attitude about it.

The Australian poolside interviewer asked the final Aussie swimmer (17-year-old Tamsin Cook) how she felt about being asked to swim the last leg of the relay against Ledecky, and she said, 'To be honest, at first I was petrified, but then I just stuck to my race plan' or words to that effect. She did a great job against Katie, I thought. And Emma McKeon's second leg for the Australians was blistering.

I'm loving the sharing-around of the gold medals at this Olympics. So far, nine different countries have won gold.

I can't wait to see the Campbell sisters in the women's 100m freestyle final. Cate has been on fire so far.

Edited by purist
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Our "fourth stroke" was side stroke, which I doubt was ever a competitive element; it was mainly a laid-back way of surviving in the water.

The side stroke was our fourth as well.  Pick and apple and put it in the basket...

A little late to the party but I loved seeing Balandin win gold out of lane eight.  I have no beef with Rowdy Gaines but the fact that such a feat left him almost completely dumfounded kinda made me happy.

12 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Wow, I'm gonna get to hear the Kazakhstan national anthem

Did the play the real national anthem? There was a controversy a few years ago where the winner of a competition was from Kazakhstan and they played the parody anthem from the Borat movie by mistake. Not cool. This is actually Kazakhstan's second gold medal in Rio. A weightlifter won gold earlier in the day. He was really excited and seeing the bonus he will get, I understand why!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, purist said:

Same, katisha, although I had a feeling Chalmers might win after his great split in the 4x100 relay and his heat swim. The Australian media is all over Chalmers now like they were all over Magnussen four years ago. I get pissed off when I see them giving less attention to McEvoy - especially because I suspect the reason is that he's a geeky smart kid with a smaller physique rather than a big meaty jock (which is what Maggie and Chalmers are), and the media think that's how Australians want their sporting heroes to be. I don't think I'm imagining it - what do you reckon?

I think you're right on the money, purist.  The "big meaty jock" types sell more cereal/vitamins/sportswear, I guess.  Personally, I prefer the geeks.  Poor McEvoy is now going to be the guy who let Australia down because he was expected to win and couldn't even medal.  Sad, especially considering he was such a great sport about it all.

1 hour ago, purist said:
18 hours ago, Kromm said:

Is it really all that unthinkable that Phelps could change his mind AGAIN and show up again in 4 years? He'd be 35. Ancient by most sporting standards, but if he's a freak of nature it wouldn't be impossible.

Oh please no. I don't know if I could stand another round of Phelpsapalooza.

Gah! Please, no!  Even on our Australian coverage I keep seeing shots of Phelps scowling in the warm-up room.  As has been said upthread, I am half expecting to see footage of his picking his nose, scratching his butt or flossing his teeth because let's face it - we're all SO excited and mesmerised by him that we'll watch him doing, well, anything.

Edited by katisha
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Did the play the real national anthem? There was a controversy a few years ago where the winner of a competition was from Kazakhstan and they played the parody anthem from the Borat movie by mistake. Not cool. This is actually Kazakhstan's second gold medal in Rio. A weightlifter won gold earlier in the day. He was really excited and seeing the bonus he will get, I understand why!

From all indications, yes, this was the real anthem. We could see the swimmer silently singing along.

Yes, this is not the country's first gold by a long shot, or even its first in Rio. All I was saying was that it's their first (of any color) in swimming.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, purist said:

Do you mean the Belgian who got silver in the men's 100m freestyle? His name is Pieter Timmers. I couldn't remember the last time I saw a Belgian win a swimming medal, but apparently it was Frédérik Deburghgraeve in Atlanta (1996), who won gold in the 100m breaststroke and set a world record as well. Apart from that they've only ever won two medals in swimming.

No, I meant Dutch. Kromowidjojo made the 100m final, the first individual one of this Olympics. I miss the VDH and Inge de Bruijn years.

katisha, I can't find your original post about the Phelpsapalooza (LOL) but I agree. This is ridiculous. I know Le Clos was acting like a jerk the other day, parading around in front of him while Michael scowled, but after the 200m butterfly performance, we could have hoped Michael would be a gracious winner and give us some smiles, but instead, he was shaking his fist at Le Clos, still scowling, and worst of all, waving for the crowd to show their adoration. UGH! Really makes him go down in my estimation. Le Clos was almost funny with his antics, but Michael is becoming unlikeable in my eyes. Needs an ego check!

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Breaststroke as I learned it eons ago (YMCA lessons c. 1960) was much different, and less strenuous, with none of the thrashing up and down -- you spread your arms sideways to propel yourself, but your head didn't move around that much. I don't know when it was redefined; maybe it was a gradual development.

Butterfly was just coming in around that time as a new invention. Our "fourth stroke" was side stroke, which I doubt was ever a competitive element; it was mainly a laid-back way of surviving in the water.

I know I'm late to the party - again! I remember breaststroke in the 60's, too, not necessarily for racing, but we were definitely taught to keep our chins in the water, and it was a violation of form to  have your entire head out of the water. Butterfly wasn't taught to girls/women at our pool or the Y or my summer camp. Didn't keep me from trying, but I could not do it. I didn't race, though, I always went for the form competitions.

Heard one of the commentators saying that the butterfly is actually not that strenuous once you get the rhythm down. Still looks exhausting to me.

21 hours ago, blackwing said:

When I was growing up and the family went to the pool, my mom swam breaststroke.  Or as we called it, "the frog".  Because it looks like how a frog swims.  She never put her head in the water.  My wife swims the same way.  Come to think of it, I see a number of middle-aged/mature women at my gym swimming "the frog".

So whenever I see breaststroke at the Olympics, I always call it the "fast frog".

I would agree that sidestroke isn't really a stroke... it's a way to keep afloat and propel yourself in the water. I was taught it as a kid and always found it funny.  "Reach out, pick some fruit, bring it into your basket, pick some more..."

I used to always keep my head out of the water whenever possible during the breaststroke, but it's not the way it's properly done. I have this thing where I either want my face in or out of the water totally. I don't like water splashing up into my face. So I only put my chin in the water when I had to because of instructors or competition.

I love your memory of being taught the sidestroke - that's exactly what my instructors taught me. It was always my favorite stroke.

• Love 1

I love your memory of being taught the sidestroke - that's exactly what my instructors taught me. It was always my favorite stroke.

Me too, Red Cross in the mid-1970s.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, renatae said:

I know I'm late to the party - again! I remember breaststroke in the 60's, too, not necessarily for racing, but we were definitely taught to keep our chins in the water, and it was a violation of form to  have your entire head out of the water. Butterfly wasn't taught to girls/women at our pool or the Y or my summer camp. Didn't keep me from trying, but I could not do it. I didn't race, though, I always went for the form competitions.

Heard one of the commentators saying that the butterfly is actually not that strenuous once you get the rhythm down. Still looks exhausting to me.

Having been competitive way back in the day, the style of breaststroke has changed considerably.  During my time, we could be disqualified for putting our heads under water.  We did typically try to stay low.  We had flip turns back then.  I was forced to compete in the IM and I can say the butterfly almost killed me.  Women were swimming butterfly competitively.  Because of the flip turns, we started with backstroke and ended with freestyle.  I am not sure if we did breaststroke second or third.  I would do well in back and free, see breast as a bit of a rest and flail like a penguin being attacked by a seal during butterfly.  I am always impressed when people swim it well. 

We were also taught sidestroke but only to rest or warm up. It was also considered a safety stroke if you had a cramp and couldn't continue during training.  You could side stroke your way out of the pool. 

On topic, Phelps is in a no win situation.  Like many of you, I am tired of the all Phelps, all the time coverage.  If he gets hemorrhoids,  we're going to get close ups.  He seems liked by his teammates.  But he also seems like someone who doesn't come to the spotlight naturally.  He has been prepped for media.  There is so damn much of it he is never given a chance to be off screen.  With that kind of coverage, it is easy to seem like a jerk.   All it takes is some time with you being tired or looking annoyed or . . . He has looked for the spotlight because that brings endorsements so he is a monster of his own (and his mom's) creation to some extent.  At least he does have the skill to back it up.  However, I do look forward to the days after his career when we can focus on some other swimmers. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, renatae said:

katisha, I can't find your original post about the Phelpsapalooza (LOL) but I agree. This is ridiculous. I know Le Clos was acting like a jerk the other day, parading around in front of him while Michael scowled, but after the 200m butterfly performance, we could have hoped Michael would be a gracious winner and give us some smiles, but instead, he was shaking his fist at Le Clos, still scowling, and worst of all, waving for the crowd to show their adoration. UGH! Really makes him go down in my estimation. Le Clos was almost funny with his antics, but Michael is becoming unlikeable in my eyes. Needs an ego check!

Becoming?  In my eyes, he is.  There is nothing to like about that guy.

• Love 3

Awesome for Anthony Ervin (go Bears!). I think he's the only one who is actually sort of age-appropriate for me. And Old Man Irvin outswam my other Cal Bear, and Olympic Boyfriend, Adrian. Roll on you Bears! They won't medal, but this is fun anyway. 

• Love 3

Okay. I sort of feel sorry for Efimova. She was busted for  the same thing that Maria Sharapova and the whole under 18 hockey team got busted. Melodium or whatever the spelling is. But it's so controversial even within WADA. I thought she was caught for HGH or something. 

• Love 2

So there was a feature on one of the cameramen on Olympic Zone. He is a three time swimming gold medalist from 1968. Two relays and the 100 free. He says he tears up during the US national Anthem and gets really excited about the 100 free. It was kind of cool to think that the cameraman knows what the atheletes are going through. 

Ervin is HOT. 

I dont feel forEfimova, that was her second violation. She is a proven cheat without the melodium

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 1
Just now, MyAimIsTrue said:

It's a miracle, NBC showed the women's 200m breaststroke final even though there were no US athletes competing!

Hello. Efimova was there to provide all the drama.  No way they were not going to show it. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

It's a miracle, NBC showed the women's 200m breaststroke final even though there were no US athletes competing!

I wonder how that mistake happened!

• Love 2

Anthony Ervin amazes me. To go through everything he's been through (depression, drug addiction, a suicide attempt) and right his ship is so incredible. And he's swimming like his 20 year-old self. Maybe better. I'm hoping he and Nathan can medal in the 50m.

And cute pic from Ryan. Last night on the late night NBC coverage, they showed an interview he did with David Feherty. Our Ryan has grown up, y'all! They showed footage from his reality show, with all the partying and foolishness, and the contrast was striking. He seemed like an entirely different person.

Speaking of pictures, during prelims for the 100m fly today, they showed a 2008 picture Michael took with a young Singaporean swimmer, Joseph Schooling. And then they swam right next to each other in their heat (and Schooling came in first). They had a really nice moment after the race, and I can't imagine how cool it is to idolize someone as a young swimmer and end up competing right next to them 8 years later. I love these kind of Olympic stories.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 8

I'm thrilled for Kaneto. The Japanese have such talent, but have long had issues replicating excellent swims outside of Japan, especially on the women's side. The depth they've got in women's breaststroke is amazing if you look at world rankings in recent years, and it's fitting one of theirs takes gold here.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Okay. I sort of feel sorry for Efimova. She was busted for  the same thing that Maria Sharapova and the whole under 18 hockey team got busted. Melodium or whatever the spelling is. But it's so controversial even within WADA. I thought she was caught for HGH or something. 

It's "meldonium." It aids in quicker recovery/turnover, so it seems like it would be a great drug for a swimmer. What the Russians learned the hard way is that the substance didn't clear the system in two days, as they'd thought. The half-life is apparently months. Of course, the inventor of the stuff, from a former Eastern European bloc country, is appalled that his stuff is under scrutiny. He's really just pissed that he's not making money from Russia any longer. 

Yay! Two Cal Olympic BFs in this final. But they're too young to bring it home for Murica. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's "meldonium." It aids in quicker recovery/turnover, so it seems like it would be a great drug for a swimmer. What the Russians learned the hard way is that the substance didn't clear the system in two days, as they'd thought. The half-life is apparently months. Of course, the inventor of the stuff, from a former Eastern European bloc country, is appalled that his stuff is under scrutiny. He's really just pissed that he's not making money from Russia any longer. 

oho wow. talk about a More You Know moment. Thanks, I was just really defending people who were taking it because it just sounded like it was something most people in that part of the world could take over the counter. I didn't know it had that aspect to it. then no sympathy then for Yulia. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Man, what a year for Ryan Murphy, sweeping the Backstroke races in Rio and producing the mini-series of the year!

LOL. I heard the other Ryan Murphy made a joke about winning a gold medal during the FX presentation at the Television Critics' Association press tour the other day.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

oho wow. talk about a More You Know moment. Thanks, I was just really defending people who were taking it because it just sounded like it was something most people in that part of the world could take over the counter. I didn't know it had that aspect to it. then no sympathy then for Yulia. 

I learned more than I needed to about this because a figure skated got caught using it.