Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

(edited)
7 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Thanks. Incompetence in how something legal is handled is not the same as intentionally breaking the law (violating privacy).

Incompetence is essentially negligence and you can violate someone's privacy due to your negligence.  Tort law does not require the violation to be intentional. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
clarity
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Incompetence is essentially negligence and you can violate someone's privacy due to your negligence.  It doesn't have to be intentional. 

Marry me?

• Love 4
(edited)
21 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

You can see minors parents or older siblings named in police reports in the local paper everyday. Anyone who knows them can even extrapolate the minor involved. I've figured out my children's classmates that were involved thisway. Yes, it seems ridiculous in terms of actually keeping a minors identity secret, but it's the letter of the law. They were not required to redact James Robert and Michelles names, just the names of the minors. 

Yes, exactly, isn't there something in... logic and rhetoric?  I'm not smart enough to know beyond a hindbrain-niggle - but something which says that "once you know something, you can't un-know it?"  To be more to the point here, to say that it's useless to extrapolate based upon what the general "we" might or might not have thought about, once we know the individuals involved.  I believe few (if any) readers here can say they read the redacted police reports without already knowing who the family is.  It's information one can't un-know, thus you're going to be biased and can't say what kind of recognition powers you'd have, were you reading said report without knowing the end result/parties involved.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, queenanne said:

Yes, exactly, isn't there something in... logic and rhetoric?  I'm not smart enough to know beyond a hindbrain-niggle - but something which says that "once you know something, you can't un-know it?"  To be more to the point here, to say that it's useless to extrapolate based upon what the general "we" might or might not have thought about, once we know the individuals involved.  I believe few (if any) readers here can say they read the redacted police reports without already knowing who the family is.  It's information one can't un-know, thus you're going to be biased and can't say what kind of recognition powers you'd have, were you reading said report without knowing the end result.

But you can ask a person who only knows the Duggars as the baby making family and ask them to read it and name the victims and you'll get a big fat goose egg. There's not knowing, unknowing and ignorance because you don't know the players.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Incompetence is essentially negligence and you can violate someone's privacy due to your negligence.  Tort law does not require the violation to be intentional. 

IANAL.

Added: Jim Bob and Michelle might not want to kick over the negligence rock.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, Marigold said:

So, what happens to John David and his job with the PD or the volunteer ambulance "work" that the Duggars do/did?   The Duggars love that publicity for being good members of the community. This is gonna take the shine of the apple, if it isn't completely off already. 

I'm sure Springdale people are talking about this case with the same thoughts that we are.  No one is impressed with Jim Bob and Michelle and there is varying degrees of sympathy for the Duggar 4.  

Michelle and Jim Bob might get egged on their next trip to Walmart!!! 

Police departments get sued all the time (big ones do, at any rate)...I think the only way individual officers would care and therefore affect JD's job is if the suit were about officer misbehavior instead of the administrative end. But then again they live in a small town so the dynamics could be totally different from what I'm familiar with. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Marry me?

Who gets to be the headship and who is stuck being the helpmeet?

Ah, the heck with it!  I accept!  We will rotate being oppressor and oppressed.  The entire board is invited! Tater tot casserole and melted ice cream will served in the parking lot! No need to RSVP, just park your stink bus at the nearest Walmart and head over. 

Please look for our gift registry at Bed, Bath and Beyond. 

• Love 17
Just now, Celia Rubenstein said:

Who gets to be the headship and who is stuck being the helpmeet?

Ah, the heck with it!  I accept!  We will rotate being oppressor and oppressed.  The entire board is invited! Tater tot casserole and melted ice cream will served in the parking lot! No need to RSVP, just park your stink bus at the nearest Walmart and head over. 

Or just DONATE.

• Love 13
Just now, Celia Rubenstein said:

That's a bit high brow for a tatertot wedding isn't it?  Shouldn't the registry be at Walmart or Good will?  Buy used and save.

• Love 7

Just to be clear, is the issue that the reports weren't redacted enough so that it was obvious that Josh's victims were his sisters, period; or is it that, given their fame, people could identify which sisters specifically were the ones molested? I know I'm splitting hairs but now I'm not sure what exactly everyone is talking about and it's bugging me.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

What I really want is a big stack of gift cards to Cracker Barrel! 

Hash brown Casserole for everyone!!!! I like this wedding already. 

The sad thing is that I moved up North and I actually crave Cracker Barrel.  I'm so ashamed.

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

So you're taking the Jessa headship role fist?

I would think she'd take the gift cards and then have to whine about what a small stack it is.  And perhaps that a bigger donation would be a better gift.

• Love 3
(edited)
51 minutes ago, duggarfan said:

I think if I were a Duggar daughter, it would make me more, not less, angry that they so thoroughly protected the non-famous party's privacy but not mine.

Do the math. Anyone with any sort of interest in the Duggars could nal it down to everyone except Jana/Jill, but as the elder, Jana could be pretty easily be ruled out. However, MOST OF THE COUNTRY doesn't give a shit and maybe paid attenton during the Megyn Kelly interview when two of the girls outed themselves and defended their perpetrator, lied, and outed a third victim. Cheers. 

eta: Never even seen a Cracker Barrel. And I think I'm better for it. Yes, I'm a food snob. :D

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

They changed their minds. Women are so weak and fickle, you know. 

If Jim Bob and co had their way the jury would be stacked with people who think this way. "This is why we need male headships. Weak willed women. Can't make up their minds, clouded by emotions." Ironic. It probably wouldn't affect the outcome one way or another but you know fundies would be silently thinking it to themselves.

• Love 2

I've never been deposed. I assume you can't have your headship in the room holding your hand. 

The older two know how to lie and cry. We also know Jinger is a cryer, and Joy can barely complete sentences. Good luck. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

I've never been deposed. I assume you can't have your headship in the room holding your hand. 

The older two know how to lie and cry. We also know Jinger is a cryer, and Joy can barely complete sentences. Good luck. 

I agree it's going to be a difficult deposition.  Lawyers feed off tears.  And if they try to read from scripts, it will be noted that they are reading from a prepared script.  I really feel bad for them because they have no idea what is coming.  I just hope Jim Bob and Meeechelle have to give one as well.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

I agree it's going to be a difficult deposition.  Lawyers feed off tears.  And if they try to read from scripts, it will be noted that they are reading from a prepared script.  I really feel bad for them because they have no idea what is coming.  I just hope Jim Bob and Meeechelle have to give one as well.

If I were the defense, I would certianly suboena BoobChelle. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

So you're taking the Jessa headship role fist?

You better have been staring adoringly at my avatar when you typed that, Missy!   Keep sassin' me like that and I won't take you for a drippy Sundae at Market Place Grill on on your birthday!  

• Love 12
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

If I were the defense, I would certianly suboena BoobChelle. 

Oh, I'd so love to see them deposed. It would be awesome to see them answering the defense's questions and explain how badly they handled everything. Now that would be fun to watch. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 8
(edited)
29 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Just to be clear, is the issue that the reports weren't redacted enough so that it was obvious that Josh's victims were his sisters, period; or is it that, given their fame, people could identify which sisters specifically were the ones molested? I know I'm splitting hairs but now I'm not sure what exactly everyone is talking about and it's bugging me.

For me the issue is that information of 4 minor children who were molested, was released to the public with a poorly redacted report that allowed a reader to know what family they belonged to. It doesn't matter to me that we might have to guess that it was 4 of 5 or 4 of 8.

Anyway the report was released with a story about Josh and the Duggars, on the internet. That really only left any interested reader with a guess of which one of the 5 girls escaped Josh's inappropriate touches. So I guess what I'm saying is - his sisters.

Edited by GeeGolly
To remove my sassy reply to my headship that merged with this post.
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I can only speak for how I would view their case if I were on the jury .... I think being molested molested is painful and causes great harm but not so much that what happens to you later is of no consequence since you were already so damaged because of how your parents mishandled it.  And just because you say you weren't really damaged or hurt or upset doesn't mean you weren't, especially when you have TV cameras pointed in your face demanding a reaction in an attempt to save the family TV show.  

I'm no lawyer so I have nothing worth while to add to the legal end of this.  My tablet sucks at bolding.  But if it did, I would bold the last sentence..  

We all know this is a boob cash grab.  But those WOMEN signed that document and we all know why.

Just as culpable in  this mess IMHO, are their freeloading toady husbands.  I don't know about Jeremy, but according to their faith, the husband is the headship.  Jeesa and Jill live on Boob's dime.  There is no way they receive TLC or any other money that boob doesn't control.  They live rent free on the compound, except for the few weeks that Jill lives in da.  But that's another thread.  If their husband/ headship had said no, we aren't getting involved in this, that duggar wouldn't have disobeyed the headship.  

I can easily see the girls caving.  Joy isn't married yet so she doesn't count.  Technically.  But not one of these husbands had the balls to say no, my wife has been through enough.  It would cost them their slice of the TLC pie.  And I'm sure they were all guilted to the max in to signing.  Some helpmates these bozos are.  These fools were not brought up in this faith.  They should know better.

I look at the courage the Scientology people had to say enough is enough.  I know these girls were stuck between a rock and a hard place.  And maybe they were threatened with losing their family. I know the reasons the girls won't go against boob. But you can bet the husbands will be on the free interview trips while their wives will have cameras shoved in their faces again to talk about this for the umpteenth time.

But once again they yes daddy Almighty Headship Boob.  All for the sake of king cash. I'm rambling, so sorry.  But every one of these husbands have done a piss poor job. YMMV.

• Love 9

I guess the sticky point here is if it was legal AT THE TIME to name the parents. The law changed, but it now sounds as if the inquest was in before that change. We know it took two weeks to redact, and that the Duggars were visibably nervous when taping the Digging In show, taped 5/4. The law was changed 5/2  (a Saturday). 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Donate-Button.png

Will my donation go to save heathen souls at Cracker Barrel? I mean, I have to know it's going to save souls not for plane tickets from North to South America.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Weak women, yet it's the men who can't control their impulses . . . .

Quite the paradox isn't it? The cognitive dissonance is strong, but we have established that already.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Donate-Button.png

They should really take this one down. They're going to get SOME money. Problem for Jerick is that they wanted a settlement for life for "inappropriate touching" that she doesn't remember, but has now been elevated to sexual assault.

No wonder Smuggar has become a fatted calf. He knew this shit was coming. 

• Love 7

Those husbands were chosen specifically by JimBob for their spinelessness and quite possibly for their lack of any employable skills. Nothing turns a guy into a yes-man like a couple of kids to feed and a spoiled wife to maintain while being essentially unemployable.

• Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Those husbands were chosen specifically by JimBob for their spinelessness and quite possibly for their lack of any employable skills. Nothing turns a guy into a yes-man like a couple of kids to feed and a spoiled wife to maintain while being essentially unemployable.

It's right there on page 21 of the questionnaire.

"Do you currently have paid employment? Circle one"

Yes   No  Unsure

"Describe you feel about paid employment in 100 words or less"

"Are you available at a moment's notice for filming? Circle one"

Yes  No  Unsure

"How many Instagram followers do you currently have?"

_______

"How many do you think they would donate?"

______

Edited by PikaScrewChu
words matter
  • Love 7

I think they had better maintain their stance on the 'incident'. If they now claim it was something dreadful and they had finally healed, how could they have told Fox 2 years ago that it was nothing, and common among their acquaintances? If they were saying it was no big deal because they were persuaded by other family members, how will the jury know if they are still under that influence? 

That interview was the worst decision. 

They may have to sacrifice one of their own. They will be sworn in this time if they testify. 

• Love 6

I think it's very possible that none of the husbands even knew about the lawsuit until after it had been filed. For that matter, the four girls may not have understood what they were doing. They've been brought up to think that Daddy's word is law and if Daddy shoved a bunch of papers at them and told them to sign their names, they'd probably do it without any questions.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

I think it's very possible that none of the husbands even knew about the lawsuit until after it had been filed. For that matter, the four girls may not have understood what they were doing. They've been brought up to think that Daddy's word is law and if Daddy shoved a bunch of papers at them and told them to sign their names, they'd probably do it without any questions.

I think they knew

thought bubbles

Bin: It's up to you Mr Duggar

Derelict: $

Babe: People Cover, Interviews

Whatshisface: _______________________

• Love 10
1 hour ago, sometimesy said:

I think they knew

thought bubbles

Jinger and Jeremy got a tiny piece of the People cover. Joy and Austin will be lucky to be on the cover at all. I doubt Joe and Kendra will even get a spread. The days of the guaranteed People cover are over. It's off to US Weekly for the Duggars, if that. The rest of the magazines are run by the Bauer group so they're running out of magazines that will pay them for "exclusives". Maybe they'll have to go the Courtney Stodden route and find some obscure magazine to sell their pictures to.

I do wonder how Ben and Derrick believed the show would go on forever and they could get away with living off the TLC money. They had the most worldly experience out of all the Duggar husbands and saw how fickle pop culture is. Ben I could excuse a bit for his immaturity but Derrick should know better. They may be able to sustain some sort of lifestyle with JB and Michelle's income but it's not realistic.

Reality is going to bite.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Jinger and Jeremy got a tiny piece of the People cover. Joy and Austin will be lucky to be on the cover at all. I doubt Joe and Kendra will even get a spread. The days of the guaranteed People cover are over. It's off to US Weekly for the Duggars, if that. The rest of the magazines are run by the Bauer group so they're running out of magazines that will pay them for "exclusives". Maybe they'll have to go the Courtney Stodden route and find some obscure magazine to sell their pictures to.

I think it will eventually get to a point when Jim Boob will have to sell the Duggar family exclusives to High Times. No one else will be interested.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Reality is going to bite

With all the weddings they'll soon be on target to add 5 pregnancies per year. 5 new mouths to feed. In four years that's more kids than The parents ever had. They're out of interesting weddings (even Jana's wouldn't be all that - she'd be watercress when compared to unflavored gelatin and thickened water's nuptials) and grandkids arent that interesting. No one, male or female, knows how to be domestic or useful. Everyone is a marginally employable idiot with no life experience. They're all varying levels of addicted to eating out, trips, iPhones/social media/new things, lazing around, and fawning adoration. Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

But this lawsuit will fix everything.

• Love 13
(edited)

So is the issue that inTouch received a legally obtained report via a FOIA and should have taken it upon themselves to voluntarily redact additional facts?

What would have been the difference to the victims?  Honestly if the report had just said Josh had 5 victims, speculation would have run rampant that the 5 victims were his 5 sisters.  The vagueness would have extended the story longer.  Jessa and Jill still would have done the interview since the motivation for the interview was to get their show back.

Edited by TaxNerd
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Oh, I'd so love to see them deposed. It would be awesome to see them answering the defense's questions and explain how badly they handled everything. Now that would be fun to watch. 

Except they'd keep saying that they handled it perfectly and many professionals have told them so. 

Professional whats is unspecified, I think. Professional wallpaper hangers maybe? 

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, sometimesy said:

I think they had better maintain their stance on the 'incident'. If they now claim it was something dreadful and they had finally healed, how could they have told Fox 2 years ago that it was nothing, and common among their acquaintances? If they were saying it was no big deal because they were persuaded by other family members, how will the jury know if they are still under that influence? 

That interview was the worst decision. 

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive because we're not only deceptive but deeply deeply confused about literally everything and we're also Duggars, which is just another word for lazy, grifty and stupid. 

Maybe the most interesting thing about all this to me is that, given the demographic realities, this is not going to be the last Hail Mary pass Jim Bob has to attempt. Interested to see what's coming next. I might suggest sending the kids to school and starting a family business that depends on some kind of actual 8 to 5 work, not preening for cameras or land speculation. Or leading souls to Christ when it's only too obvious that you're not any kind of a pastor, just a self-absorbed greedy idiot. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

In my state, if the Duggars had contacted the police about Josh, they most likely would have taken a report and turned the case over to DCF. DCF would most likely have had Josh removed and placed into treatment. The biggest unknown for me is if DCF would have allowed Josh to return home. Probably not.

So the info would still have been there - a non-arrest report - which some have argued is why it was released. The likelihood in my area of Josh being arrested for this, is between slim and none.

The info would NOT have been there.  It would've been turned over to Children's Services and been sealed.  DCF would've had jurisdiction and, presuming they function like DCF everywhere else, they would've made sure the police statements were removed from the files.  It was the fact that the Duggars refused to cooperate after promising to do so, that made it impossible for any intervention to take place, kept the kids out of the system and meant that the police report was out there to be found.

For example, take a look at the Brangelina situation.  We all heard about it and there was plenty of speculation as to what happened and what child(ren) were involved, but, because both parents cooperated fully and dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's; I guarantee you that everything, including the initial report; are not obtainable.  There is surely far more public interest and media scrutiny on them than on the Duggars, but, yet, no legal documents are out there for public consumption.

The Honey Boo Boo thing is also comparable.  It wasn't until the victim herself went public with the facts that anyone knew about the mother's boyfriend and what he had done.  And, I as far as I can tell, not a single court document has been made public.

Jim Boob and Michelle set the stage for this situation to occur due to their own stupidity and hubris.  Hell, had they gotten decent legal advice; an experienced attorney would've looked at the police report and gotten it destroyed years ago.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 19
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Except they'd keep saying that they handled it perfectly and many professionals have told them so. 

Professional whats is unspecified, I think. Professional wallpaper hangers maybe? 

Remember, in the duggar world, if you watch someone for an hour or so that makes you a professional too.  No need for a pesky education.  I'm sure the wisdom books told them everything they needed to know about famewhoring your sexual abuse on TV.  From their perspective, they did handle it perfectly.  They got their show back.  Problem solved!

• Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

For me the issue is that information of 4 minor children who were molested, was released to the public with a poorly redacted report that allowed a reader to know what family they belonged to. It doesn't matter to me that we might have to guess that it was 4 of 5 or 4 of 8.

Anyway the report was released with a story about Josh and the Duggars, on the internet. That really only left any interested reader with a guess of which one of the 5 girls escaped Josh's inappropriate touches. So I guess what I'm saying is - his sisters.

Gotcha, and that makes much more sense to me. If the issue is that we shouldn't have know that the victims were his sisters, then I can agree with that. I still want them to lose the lawsuit because of the context of EVERYTHING about this family, but I get it (and my personal biases shouldn't be the law...I guess). It's the argument that the redacted reports allowed us to guess the individuals involved that I vehemently disagree with, because THAT is entirely the family's fault for seeking out fame and releasing personal information for years, and it's he onus is not on the redactors to predict that people could guess because of fame.

37 minutes ago, TaxNerd said:

So is the issue that inTouch received a legally obtained report via a FOIA and should have taken it upon themselves to voluntarily redact additional facts?

What would have been the difference to the victims?  Honestly if the report had just said Josh had 5 victims, speculation would have run rampant that the 5 victims were his 5 sisters.  The vagueness would have extended the story longer.  Jessa and Jill still would have done the interview since the motivation for the interview was to get their show back.

And THAT is an excellent point. Everyone would have assumed the victims were his sisters, because in light of how isolated they were as a family, who else would teen Josh have had the opportunity to abuse? And with Alice's post having been around for years, everyone was already primed to believe it. Not only Jessa and Jill but all the older children would have done the interview, because the main issue was that the JB and Michelle did such a poor job of handling Josh's behavior.

Edited by lascuba
  • Love 9

Maybe TLC should consider launching a new reality show with all the Duggars. They can call it "Piss Poor Parenting." That way they really could serve as a useful example. Wonder when Jim Bob will be desperate enough for money to go along with that. 

• Love 19
11 hours ago, toodles said:

Just as culpable in  this mess IMHO, are their freeloading toady husbands.  I don't know about Jeremy, but according to their faith, the husband is the headship.  Jeesa and Jill live on Boob's dime.  There is no way they receive TLC or any other money that boob doesn't control.  They live rent free on the compound, except for the few weeks that Jill lives in da.  But that's another thread.  If their husband/ headship had said no, we aren't getting involved in this, that duggar wouldn't have disobeyed the headship.  

I can easily see the girls caving.  Joy isn't married yet so she doesn't count.  Technically.  But not one of these husbands had the balls to say no, my wife has been through enough.  It would cost them their slice of the TLC pie.  

None of the Duggar girls married a MAN.  They all married children and therefore have no real "headship", so by default Boob retains his position.    Makes me shudder to type that.   None of the "husbands" has balls enough to stand up for their wives.  Makes me sick.

11 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

And this is the problem with the questionnaire - it is obviously set up to ensure that Boob remains the girls' headship.   The girls' only options for marriage were weaklings. 

10 hours ago, sometimesy said:

I think they knew

thought bubbles

Awesome @sometimesy!  Sounds exactly right.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, lascuba said:

Police departments get sued all the time (big ones do, at any rate)...I think the only way individual officers would care and therefore affect JD's job is if the suit were about officer misbehavior instead of the administrative end. But then again they live in a small town so the dynamics could be totally different from what I'm familiar with. 

JD is a volunteer constable who was elected into the position. This can and possibly will bite him in the behind. His sisters and parents are suing a law enforcement department. The actions of officers' families reflects on them 24/7/365. I find it hypocritical JB does not mind one of his sons being in the law enforcement field, but he is quick to sue over a family secret brought on because of his famewhoring and calling out other people because they do not share his beliefs. As long as they give him what he wants, he is fine and dandy with them, but God help you if he thinks you have double crossed him. Plus the fact he and JD made a mockery of police departments in the one episode where they were trying to prove what a great catch JD is. I cannot to this day understand why the local law enforcement agency JD is a part of would okay this stupidity. It made him look bad, and the rest of the department look bad also. I guess they really must be hard up for constables if the people where the Duggars live vote him in. I also wonder if JB wanted one of his sons in the department so he can find out what is going on in the local community via the two Josh scandals.

And I hope people will start calling out the Duggars on their hypocritical beliefs of gays, lesbians and certain other groups are child molesters when their oldest son was molested four of his sisters, and they did a crappy job dealing with the whole incident. I would love for these terrible heathens to sue them for calling them child molesters because they are not the outstanding, blessed, special season of life Duggars. In fact, I have a cousin who is gay. Maybe I should sue the Duggars for him. Where is my DONATE button to start collecting funds for the law suit.