Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

Ratings have been in a gradual decline since S7's second half. CM used to be steady at around 13-14M viewers, with the occasional drop-off or spike, but S7's second half was the first time it tailed to averaging 11-12M an episode. Season 8 held at 11-12M per, but S9 declined to 10M per episode, where it held in S10.

In fact, this season is the one that's had the most decline- following CM's rate of viewership losses (a reality for any show as it gets older), we should probably be averaging 9-10M viewers, but, instead, CM is regularly pulling 7's and 8's with the occasional 10 or 9.

So I don't think it's fair to blame Jennifer Love Hewitt for the ratings decline- in fact, she probably stopped it. Furthermore, you could even say that Tara Lewis is to blame for the decline, since she had been featured quite prominently this season with little positive effect.

Personally, I think that's unfair- I think the ratings decline has more to do with the absence of continuity with regards to the second female agent in general than any kind of opinions about the actresses. The show was slammed, and slammed hard, for mistreating its female actresses after S5 and by going through a merry go-round of actresses since S6 underscores the point that CM hasn't really learned from their mistakes. Right after Paget Brewster left should have been the time to find a permanent replacement and do everything they can to keep her, because the only way Prentiss' fans will stop clamouring for her back is if we get an adequate, long-term replacement. Not these one-and-done characters we seem to get.

• Love 4

I sometimes feel like the slot filled by the second female character is similar to the Defense Against Dark Arts teaching spot at Hogwarts. It seems to be cursed. LOL.

That made my day, Zaneej---perfect analogy!

I was actually surprised to see that article about Joe Mantegna addressing opinions expressed on social media.  Maybe his doing so was meant to be supportive, but all it really did was show those expressing the negative opinions that they had their desired audience. Not a good idea.  The way to effectively get rid of that kind of expressed negativity is to extinguish it by letting it die a slow death, not reward it by feeding the frenzy.Psych 101, and still good advice.

In the era of instantaneous social media, I think it behooves anyone who puts themselves into the public eye to do so with a predetermined strategy for how they will handle the crazies.  To my mind, the most effective strategy is----don't read what they write.  

• Love 5

In the era of instantaneous social media, I think it behooves anyone who puts themselves into the public eye to do so with a predetermined strategy for how they will handle the crazies.  To my mind, the most effective strategy is----don't read what they write.  

"In one ear and out the other".

On a better written CM, the backlash against Brewster's replacement is a textbook case of psychology worthy of exploration. It's called "the backfire effect", where the greater one holds on to their views, the less willing they are to accept a challenge to those views. It's pretty much why you can never "win" an Internet argument, or even an argument in general- the more aggressive you get the more defensive your opponent will get, and the less likely they are to listen to you. Pretty sure this is what is happening with the pro-Prentiss crowd.

• Love 4
The Paget Brewster fanpeople have to realise that SHE left. SHE wanted out. It wasn't Jeanne Tripplehorn's fault she left. And it wasn't JLH's fault that Jeanne left. 

Or did I miss something?

Well, to be fair, initially she didn't leave of her own volition, she was fired, and I think that played a significant role (though it may not have been the only reason) in her ultimately deciding not to continue on CM after she was re-hired.

The way PB and AJC were treated by CBS was horrible and imo deserves the outrage being expressed online. Unfortunately, CBS's bad decision led to the situation we have now with no Prentiss and JJ 2.0.

If not for that whole debacle, we'd likely still have Prentiss and JJ the media liaison.

Having said that, I totally agree that people are being ridiculous blaming JT for PB leaving, and blaming JLH for JT *and* PB leaving. At the end of the day, all of these actresses decided to leave on their own, as far as we know - there may or may not have been behind-the-scenes negotiating in that respect, but I doubt we'd ever know if that is the case. I fail to understand what it is about this that people on Twitter/FB cannot comprehend. The characters are not real. The actors are real people who have jobs that they have the luxury of quitting if they so desire.

I'd love for the character of Prentiss to return, but the only people I really blame for her not returning is TPTB at CBS. I can't even begin to grasp why people are mad at JT and JLH for that, or why people seem to think that if their characters didn't exist, Emily Prentiss would return.

I sometimes feel like the slot filled by the second female character is similar to the Defense Against Dark Arts teaching spot at Hogwarts. It seems to be cursed. LOL.

Haha yes, it definitely seems like that!

• Love 2

Love it, absolutely agree!

• Love 2

In fairness, there are crazies on Twitter who are "balls-out hideous" towards pretty much everyone. 

Exacly. AJ left twitter and fb thanks to the lovely "CM fans" who feel the need to harass her with the most awful things ever seen.

Aisha used to tweet about CM all the time, now she tweets about anything but CM -thanks to the trolls that made her feel like she doesn't belong because she's 'worthless'.

A sick troll harasses Shemar, Kirsten and AJ all the time - and she recently started harassing Joe as well.

Btw this all started (i mean got worse) when jlh put herself on the show... maybe the sick, bitter psycho is from jlh's"fandom"? ever think about that? I just wish she never joined the cast... She's done so much damage, it's unreal.

More seriously, I think its worth noting that Tripplehorn stuck it out for two seasons of people bitching about her character's existence. Considering that MESSer actually wanted to work with Hewitt, it seems peculiar that she only hung around for one season. Blah-blah-pregnancy-cakes, fine, but AJ was pregnant as well, and yet Cook is still here and Hewitt isn't. Unless JLH is just so evil that she got knocked up on purpose so she could leave EM scrambling to find a replacement in Aisha Tyler, I should think they could have worked out a solution to keep her on the show.

"Unless JLH is just so evil that she got knocked up on purpose so she could leave EM scrambling to find a replacement in Aisha Tyler"

No, she got knocked up on purpose so she could take the pregnancy storyline away from AJ... while she probably knew that it meant the world to AJ to be pregnant again.

You're right. Jennifer was diabolical enough to plan her second child at the exact time AJ was going to get pregnant with her second child. Never mind that Jennifer was pregnant at least two months before AJ. Jennifer was clairvoyant enough to know AJ was going to be pregnant soon, so she ensured she got pregnant first, all to take away from AJ's special moment. That is some clever planning on Jennifer's part. I have to hand it to her. :) :) :)

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 5

You're right. Jennifer was diabolical enough to plan her second child at the exact time AJ was going to get pregnant with her second child. Never mind that Jennifer was pregnant at least two months before AJ. Jennifer was clairvoyant enough to know AJ was going to be pregnant soon, so she ensured she got pregnant first, all to take away from AJ's special moment. That is some clever planning on Jennifer's part. I have to hand it to her. :) :) :)

JLH was extremely lucky to be on CM. She can't just put herself on a show and get pregnant only a few weeks after getting a job.

AJ's second child is a part of the CM family (as well as AJ..). She should've had a pregnancy storyline, not JLH. It would've been heartbreakingly beautiful to see JJ being pregnant, makes me so sad the storyline was wasted on Kate.

We already saw one pregnancy storyline for JJ, and AJ's real timeline didn't match with an extended pregnancy storyline. By the end of filming season 10, AJ was not even showing that much, which was made obvious by the running scene in Protection.

• Love 1

Please.

Lets not start all over again this thing about 'Kate evil pregnancy' and 'Saint JJ'.

That horse was beaten to dead once, and that's more than enough.

People get pregnant.

Some decide to take a break, some decide to come back to work as soon as possible.

Personal choices that are not linked with the show.

• Love 8

A ghost probably told her.

• Love 4

http://twitter.com/caroline_JMfans/status/669551183128760321

I am not at all sure where this person has gotten the idea that Kirsten was going to be taking time off to go to Paris.I have not heard the actress herself mention anything about it. But then again I don't follow K.V. as diligently as I do MGG. Plus this person totally seemed to have misunderstood what MGG/Reid fans were upset about. The objection was what appeared to be the bullying of Reid not MGG when he wasn't there to defend himself

• Love 1

KV is (or was) in Paris at a film festival with her Kill Me Deadly, but I don't know if she'll miss any screen time while doing so.

Yes, it seems the person missed entirely what we were talking about with regard to Reid, not MGG.

Edited by normasm
  • Love 1

KV is (or was) in Paris at a film festival with her Kill Me Deadly, but I don't know if she'll miss any screen time while doing so.

Yes, it seems the person missed entirely what we were talking about with regard to Reid, not MGG.

Really I did not know that. I agree that this doesn't necessarily mean KV is going to be missing any screen time.Although this person appears to have assumed that was going to be the case. Oh how I would dearly love for that to be the case. Let us see them try to write an episode without Garcia magical computer abilities.

• Love 2

Tomorrow night ION is airing that detestable bag of visual vomit-The Forever People. Yet, ION (and CBS) have yet to rerun Mr. Scratch.

It's official. God hates me.

It's unbelievable how they refuse to air the only good episode from last season. 

• Love 1

It's unbelievable how they refuse to air the only good episode from last season.

Although I agree that Mr. Scratch is the best episode of last season (and that it's crazy that ION/CBS is apparently just never going to air it), did you not like Nelson's Sparrow, SSAHotchner?

And wow at the pics above. That is legit some bad drawing of Reid.

• Love 2

Not that I speak for SSAH, but Nelson's Sparrow, IMO, was half of a good episode. The unsub story was appalling. The flashback Gideon was so-so. The mostly non-speaking Reid portions were stellar. OK, maybe NS was one-third of a good episode. IMO.

• Love 3

I did love young Gideon, whoever did the casting for young Gideon did a fantastic choice, Ben Savage was amazing, but everything else... time is not doing favors to this episode in my opinion.

I didn't like the unsub, it was creepy in the new CM age fashion. The story about the unsub who stops killing after a profiler crosses their path was used with Rossi in a episode better than this. I don't remember the title, but he was played by the great Daniel J. Travanti aka Capt. Furillo and the detective in charge was David Rees Snell aka Gardocki in The Shield (even if he did nothing but welcoming the team).

Young Rossi didn't look like Rossi, he felt fake in every sense of the word. As if Rossi's mithology never had been written before and the result was a mixture of personalities.

And I didn't like Hotch and Rossi little chat at the end, it was well performed but the second time, paying attention to what they were saying, it didn't make sense.

I did like Reid though and that's it

Edited by smoker
  • Love 2

As a graphic artist, I would not be proud of this kind of awfulness from photos. No excuse, except maybe that bosses whittle it down to what they want, and eventually you have to release it. Sometimes, it's not the artist's fault. I have had to revise images of real people until people in charge were happy with them, even though they ended up terrible.

Just saying don't shoot the piano player for the tune called.

• Love 4

I agree with young Rossi not looking like young Rossi, only because they already had flashbacks with Rossi and he looked completely different. 

At the time the ep aired, I looked it up, and they actually used the same actor to play Flashback!Rossi, Robert Dunne.

• Love 1

Not that I speak for SSAH, but Nelson's Sparrow, IMO, was half of a good episode. The unsub story was appalling. The flashback Gideon was so-so. The mostly non-speaking Reid portions were stellar. OK, maybe NS was one-third of a good episode. IMO.

Actually, you do speak for me Normasm. I thought the plot was horrible and the unsub was ridiculous. I was okay with them killing off Gideon, but I refuse to believe he could be bested by someone like that unsub, unless he was suffering from dementia. I liked Reid's reactions, but overall, I didn't love the episode. It was another of their contrived family relationship moments. Never in the earlier seasons had Rossi expressed any admiration for Gideon or any sign of them having been friends. In fact, he was critical of Gideon. So the whole idea that they named their kids after each other was unbelievable to me. Just another ploy for warm fuzzies from the audience. I wanted to like it but it was just another bizarre and unrealistic unsub and another episode that felt like it was trying too hard, in this case to be sentimental. For me, one of the best things about Gideon was that he was a caring mentor to Reid. I also enjoy Hotch's relationship with Reid. It could have been a great episode, but they needed a far more intelligent and devious unsub to be able to take down someone as intelligent, intuitive and experienced as Gideon, in my opinion. 

• Love 6

Likely, given all that, Saving Grace was getting the best TV numbers it could get- there just wasn't much of a chance for further growth, because cable just doesn't provide that opportunity. So Saving Grace needs auxiliary revenue streams just to turn a decent profit, so it's reasonable for the show to be cancelled if it doesn't produce those numbers.

On broadcast TV, none of that matters- the only thing that matters is the show's numbers. That's it. Since audience reach is essentially limitless for CBS, it can hold shows accountable for not producing the numbers it needs, since CBS has a much larger market available to it. TNT, on the other hand, is limited.

Prefacing this by saying that I really enjoyed Saving Grace and thought it was a mistake for it to be cancelled, I'm not sure if TNT is really a 'limited' channel or not. It's a basic cable channel, not a network like HBO or Showtime, which you have to pay an extra fee for, outside of your regular bill. According to Wiki, TNT is available to 93.5 million cable, satellite and telco households in the US, and that statistic comes from back in February of this year. Yes, Wiki is not always the most reliable source, but that number has to come from somewhere. If nothing else, I don't think the channel could show old episodes of Law & Order that first aired years ago and are out on DVD now if they were that focused on money.

As for CM, if the ratings have gone from good to respectable, that's a writing issue, IMO. When did MESSer take over as showrunner? I want to say she was around for the Paget hired/fired/leaving again fiasco from start to finish, but I'm not sure of myself on that one.

• Love 1

"Happy Wednesday, my nerds!"

It's probably not a good idea to have an unsub play Santa Claus at your holiday festivities.

larry-drake-as-killer-santa-claus.jpg

Fluffy was not happy when the unsub known as "The Horror of Hanukkah" placed this on his head.

scary-chanukah-cat-2.jpg

• Love 3

Prefacing this by saying that I really enjoyed Saving Grace and thought it was a mistake for it to be cancelled, I'm not sure if TNT is really a 'limited' channel or not. It's a basic cable channel, not a network like HBO or Showtime, which you have to pay an extra fee for, outside of your regular bill. According to Wiki, TNT is available to 93.5 million cable, satellite and telco households in the US, and that statistic comes from back in February of this year. Yes, Wiki is not always the most reliable source, but that number has to come from somewhere. If nothing else, I don't think the channel could show old episodes of Law & Order that first aired years ago and are out on DVD now if they were that focused on money.

As for CM, if the ratings have gone from good to respectable, that's a writing issue, IMO. When did MESSer take over as showrunner? I want to say she was around for the Paget hired/fired/leaving again fiasco from start to finish, but I'm not sure of myself on that one.

I think the more telling number is that, over the course of the week, broadcast networks were watched 40% of the time, whereas the highest rated cable network, USA, clocked in at 16.5% while the best other networks can do is 10%. Clearly, the advertising money- or at least the most potential advertising money for a show- is in broadcast TV.

Granted, a network like TNT can still provide hitmakers with a decent profit because a lot of people subscribe to the network so they must watch it occasionally. However, when you compare potential between CBS and TNT, it's not even close, which is why CBS can “expect” more from CM whereas TNT couldn't with Saving Grace.

As for when Messer took over- that was before Season 7, so the year Paget Brewster was required to act out the last year of her contract against her will.

• Love 1

"Happy Wednesday, my nerds!"

It wasn't hard for the BAU to find the unsub once they got a look at his Christmas wreath.
scary-skeleton-halloween-wreath.jpg

Though it was a bit subdued, Garcia thought this festive frock would go over well at the BAU holiday jamboree.

cd83060f8d7863528edd4492347ab9ba.jpg

"Dear Santa,

This Christmas I want a pony, an Easy Bake Oven, and to one day join the BAU so I can kick some unsub butt!

Yours truly,
JJ"

girl-santa-hat-writes-letter-to-santa-li

• Love 4

Did you guys see where CBS is using CM to promote the up and coming Superbowl. So far they've used Thomas Gibson And Shemar Moore.Now not that I have a problem with it,but I do find myself asking why now,instead of back when the show had better ratings. Could this be the network's way of saying they still have confidence in this show as well as give a nod to CM fans who may also be Superbowl fans.

CBS is probably going to use many different CBS stars to promote the upcoming Superbowl, since the hashtag is #50Daysto50.  Criminal Minds still does well enough in the ratings, so it is not surprising they would use some of their actors in the promotions. I mean, they often mention CM actors in many of their social media posts. 

CBS is probably going to use many different CBS stars to promote the upcoming Superbowl, since the hashtag is #50Daysto50.  Criminal Minds still does well enough in the ratings, so it is not surprising they would use some of their actors in the promotions. I mean, they often mention CM actors in many of their social media posts. 

I agree that the show still does reasonably well in the ratings. But are you talking about the official social media pages for CBS? Because whenever I've either been on the official Facebook page or the official twitter account for CBS I have seen little to nothing at all in regards to CM.

CBS frequently has many slide shows about its characters, and most of the slide shows will feature at least one CM character. 

Some recent examples include:

21 Characters You'd Want to be With under the Mistletoe

Which CBS Characters were Naughty or Nice This Year?

12 Pickup Lines for Criminal Minds Fans

17 CBS Stars Who Could Hold their Own in the 2015 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

13 Reasons Why Dr. Reid is the Only Man You'll Ever Need

9 Characters Who Embraced their True Identities

17 Characters You Can Always Trust to Keep It Real

CBS frequently has many slide shows about its characters, and most of the slide shows will feature at least one CM character. 

Some recent examples include:

21 Characters You'd Want to be With under the Mistletoe

Which CBS Characters were Naughty or Nice This Year?

12 Pickup Lines for Criminal Minds Fans

17 CBS Stars Who Could Hold their Own in the 2015 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

13 Reasons Why Dr. Reid is the Only Man You'll Ever Need

9 Characters Who Embraced their True Identities

17 Characters You Can Always Trust to Keep It Real

Okay now I know what you are talking about. Those post of course I have seen before on CM's official social media pages.CBS' latest is "Warm up with Dr. Reid Moments". However for the moment it only appears on the network's website.And has yet to be posted on either CM's official Facebook page or Twitter account.

Edited by missmycat

I am sure the slide show will show up on the official Twitter and Facebook in the next few days. They are pretty consistent about that.

Yeah you are probably right. And it's about damn time they post something dedicated to him. I couldn't believe that despite the fact so many fans over on CM's FB page continued to ask about Reid the powers to be didn't feel it was necessary did give a shout out to him.But instead we kept getting post after post of Garcia.

To be honest, at the moment I am actually finding that infantile clown even more annoying then JJ.

• Love 3

I know that there are those who disagree, but 'Lo-Fi' and 'Mayhem' are two of my favorite episodes of the entire series.  The whole team was involved, they worked with NYPD. and not just at odds with them, the BAU brought something new to the investigation, the case was interesting and complex, the tension was real, and based on relatively realistic circumstances.  Even Garcia and Morgan were more touching than annoying.  She was panicked, but she did her job.  And his 'You are my God-given solace' line stayed with me for a long time.  The guest stars were all good, and they were mostly the good guys!  And I loved the ending, where Hotch analyzes Morgan's heroism in a way that is complex, and right on point.  

If these were the episodes being put up on Wednesday nights this season, I'll bet CM would have a host of new fans.  

• Love 6