Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

What SA said about "bad decisions make for good television" was about Oliver not killing MM, not about the lie..he talked about the lie at the other con in NJ and he looked pretty disappointed..he said he thought Oliver was past (pulling stuff like that) and he tried to make it a lie for omission, while the original scene was an outright lie but he said it was important for the writers that Oliver lied. Basically he blamed it all on MG, lol

• Love 3

You're right it was about Malcolm.  However, check out minute 10:30 in the video as he addresses people being upset about the lie to Felicity.  He thought it was "fascinating if not a lot of fun".  I guess you can interpret that as being about the internet response.  I just don't get the impression he hates it.  He mentioned it coming back to bite Oliver in the ass.  I am aware of what he said at HVFF NJ.

He might not be against it as much because he knows what the fallout is now. It might be appropriate but it doesn't mean it's enjoyable for the fans to watch.  As an actor what he likes might very well differ from what the viewer enjoys.  I am going to stop now because I'm getting off topic.

Edited by Sunshine

But did they not say that we'd have time to mourn. I don't need a whole hiatus. Also I don't want to have only Oliver/Felicity unhappy scenes until October. Oh boy. I am already over the grave scenes.

Unless it's Diggle, I don't need the hiatus to get over whoever is in the grave.

Regarding THE LIE, he said bad decisions make for good TV.  If he was against the lie he's changed his tune (at least for publicity purposes.) 

I'd like to think that SA personally disagrees with the writing of this plot but he's a team player in public.

We've always assumed that Felicity leaves Oliver because he's kept the knowledge of William from her but I'm still hoping for a twist. What if she's mad because keeping William a secret has meant that they couldn't protect him because they didn't know of his existence?

I'm also re-thinking as to how much Oliver has been visiting William in Central City, if at all. We assumed that that's how DD found him but it's no longer necessary since Malcolm spilled the beans.

There's still a slight chance for Oliver to come out of this without me hating him.

eta;  I just was the last set of promos. For an episode entitled "Code of Silence", there's really nothing there but action and noise.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

I'm also re-thinking as to how much Oliver has been visiting William in Central City, if at all. We assumed that that's how DD found him but it's no longer necessary since Malcolm spilled the beans.

He has been visiting him in Central City, MG said as much. And until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume that's how Malcolm found out about him, haha.

You're right it was about Malcolm.  However, check out minute 10:30 in the video as he addresses people being upset about the lie to Felicity.  He thought it was "fascinating if not a lot of fun".  I guess you can interpret that as being about the internet response.  I just don't get the impression he hates it.  He mentioned it coming back to bite Oliver in the ass.  I am aware of what he said at HVFF NJ.

He might not be against it as much because he knows what the fallout is now. It might be appropriate but it doesn't mean it's enjoyable for the fans to watch.  As an actor what he likes might very well differ from what the viewer enjoys.  I am going to stop now because I'm getting off topic.

Yeah, I saw that too. I thought he was being ironic more than serious, while at the other con I got the feeling he gave a less flippant and more genuine answer. His face drooped when he got the question. I also think since the other time he basically said the writers prioritized a plot point instead of Oliver's growth they could have asked him to give less damaging answers, lol. As an actor he enjoys different things, that's absolutely true, but I have my doubts he finds his character looking like an idiot enjoyable.

Or like you said now he might know more about the fallout.

• Love 6

I don't trust that MG was being truthful about OQs purpose for visiting CC. So I'm in wait and see mode on that aspect of the story.

But if they make the lie about the MM part of the lying (which I think they are going to) I can see how SA may have lightened his feelings to the scenario. It's still dumb and for plot, however it links back to the big bad turning point at least it serves a purpose. It's not OQ withholding that makes FS walk away, its OQ being less than insightful on MM which SA has had to watch his character endure for 4 years. He probably recognizes like the audience until they get rid of JB there is going to be pretzeling of plot. So he can take it more in stride. If they use OQ withholding info as her sole reason for walking away than it really messes with his ship & character because that is a behavior that is probably also not going to change and is harder for people to forgive the character for. The audience and FS have forgiven him for MM related offenses multiple times. Most likely we'll forgive him again. MM is his blindspot afterall.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

We've always assumed that Felicity leaves Oliver because he's kept the knowledge of William from her but I'm still hoping for a twist. What if she's mad because keeping William a secret has meant that they couldn't protect him because they didn't know of his existence?

I think this is very likely to be an issue for Felicity, but also, that it's all connected, because Felicity doesn't separate their personal lives from the mission. It's all the same to her. It's a betrayal of her trust as the significant other, AND it keeps Felicity from being able to protect the kid -- which is her job as Oliver's partner in superheroing. And there's the extra layer of the election too, because if Felicity knew about BM and spawn, she could also work with Alex to avoid the potential scandal.

In short, lying to Felicity fucks up Oliver's life in every arena.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 9

I think the only reason for the break up will be Oliver lying about the kid for months and imo its reason enough especially considering what happened with her her dad in 4.13 and all that people don't really change stuff she seems to on some level believe right now.

I just hope they don't focus the issue on Oliver forced to lie just because BM said so or make it seem like if he lied to BM its the same thing as lying to Felicity because its not.I know MG said some dumb stuff about that but I'm hoping it plays out better on the show.I think its easier to at least understand the lie if a big part of the reason was Oliver's fear of losing Felicity like Barry implied he does if he tells her.Its still contrived but at least I have an emotional investment in Oliver and Felicity's relationship while I have zero in his relationship with the kid and don't consider them on the same level because one was almost 4 seasons of build up and the other one scene that wasn't worth all the drama at all.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 5

This BMD is hard to take seriously after 413. It's the Malcolm blindspot and stupid E13-18 Oliver working in tandem. He doesn't tell his team of superheroes about his secret kid after he "dethrones" and delimbs (that should be a word) a supervillian who knows about said kid? Ok...

• Love 2

This BMD is hard to take seriously after 413. It's the Malcolm blindspot and stupid E13-18 Oliver working in tandem. He doesn't tell his team of superheroes about his secret kid after he "dethrones" and delimbs (that should be a word) a supervillian who knows about said kid? Ok...

He could have at least called Barry who knows about him already to keep an eye of him. This SL is making Oliver look like he has a multiple personality disorder: the kid exists when he is in CC, then when he is in SC he doesn't seem to remember.

• Love 5

I'm really hoping the EPs took note of the audience outrage after 4x08 and WM persuaded MG to rework the why and how for when we finally get the reveal to make it less horrible.

.I think its easier to at least understand the lie if a big part of the reason was Oliver's fear of losing Felicity like Barry implied he does if he tells her.Its still contrived but at least I have an emotional investment in Oliver and Felicity's relationship while I have zero in his relationship with the kid and don't consider them on the same level because one was almost 4 seasons of build up and the other one scene that wasn't worth all the drama at all.

The only excuse would be for Oliver to be protecting his relationship with Felicity but even that makes no sense since he should know her well enough by now that she would accept the sudden existence of a kid he knew nothing about before.

I have zero connection with the kid and even less with Baby Mama which makes this whole storyline there only for the plot of separating Oliver from Felicity. Maybe if I'd seen something of what BM went through I would have had a chance to connect with her and had some sympathy for her and William, as well as understand why she didn't want Oliver to tell anyone. As it is, I only want DD to take them both far away from my screen.

• Love 4

If Oliver indeed loses everything because he lied -- Felicity, kid, election -- then I'll take the dumbass writing at face value. I'm never gonna like this kind of shitty storytelling, but at least the fallout will be there to justify the plot-driven mess.

But if it ends up that they need more than the lie for Felicity to dump him, I'm gonna resent the lie even more than I already do. Because then it's not only stupid, but also not that vital [in their pov] to the narrative.

• Love 4

Come on, I need paps to get pics of Felicity so I can if she's out of that damn wheelchair.

Is a pap pic going to tell us much? It can alwayss just be Emily standing between takes. Like the photos from filming 4x14. And we know she's not walking this Wednesday.

• Love 1

Is a pap pic going to tell us much? It can alwayss just be Emily standing between takes. Like the photos from filming 4x14. And we know she's not walking this Wednesday.

Well it can tell us as much as the pics from 4x14 did. If she doesn't need the wheelchair anymore and they are also filming outside it won't be there. Even if she is walking between takes the wheelchair will still be on the set..

But if they are filming flashbacks we won't find out anything anyway! Ugh.

Pretty much what @Midnight Lullaby said, the wheelchair was confirmed by a Pap catching shots of her in the wheelchair, the wheelchair on standby, etc. If she's walking or standing while filming an outside scene they'd catch it. They'd also most likely catch her in the wheelchair

I don't get it. Does the "Queen for Mayor 2016" tag at the end of the tweet imply it's related to the shoot? Or is that just how that person tags the Arrow related posts?

I think the "Queen for Mayor" implies they're shooting something to do with the campaign - usually that account just uses the #arrow tag.

• Love 1

I'm watching SA's panel right now. After mentioning Cupid, he says there will be villains (plural) from the previous seasons coming up. Have we heard anything about this before? I don't really remember it.

Tiny hope that my Slade theory has some legs.

• Love 1

I'm watching SA's panel right now. After mentioning Cupid, he says there will be villains (plural) from the previous seasons coming up. Have we heard anything about this before? I don't really remember it.

Tiny hope that my Slade theory has some legs.

Could this be "the other Wilson" mentioned by Stephen Amell at the beginning of the season?  Maybe not Slade, but someone in his family?

• Love 2

I think the "Queen for Mayor" implies they're shooting something to do with the campaign - usually that account just uses the #arrow tag.

Ah, thanks. I prefer to think that the location shoot is for the campaign rather than the speculated Laurel flashback. 

Edited by lemotomato

It's definitely villains from past seasons, not thei family members. The Huntress is also out, so who do we have, Count the Second, the Dollmaker, China White?

He does mention a villain in his LoT episodes that has familial connections to an undisclosed person(s).

Edited by bijoux

It's definitely villains from past seasons, not thei family members. The Huntress is also ou, so who do we have, Count the Second, teh Dollmaker, China White?

He does mention a villain in his LoT episodes that has familial connections to an undisclosed person(s).

Didn't Sara/Canary put down Dollmaker?  Did Brick go to Iron Heights? I think BAM's picture of Iron Heights is from 4.17.  I wonder if that's when they come back into play.  Brie Larvan is in that episode but she was from Flash S1. For all the VOTW  week episodes we had I can't remember how many survived to go to prison. 

Didn't Sara/Canary put down Dollmaker?  Did Brick go to Iron Heights? I think BAM's picture of Iron Heights is from 4.17.  I wonder if that's when they come back into play.  Brie Larvan is in that episode but she was from Flash S1. For all the VOTW  week episodes we had I can't remember how many survived to go to prison. 

Yes, Sara killed Dollmaker. The Arrow villains that are still alive include William Tockman, Simon LaCroix (302), Cooper (305), Cupid (who we know is coming back in 416) Digger Harkness, Brick, Count Vertigo 2.0, Murmur (316), and the meta in 319. I'm ruling out Slade and Helena Bertinelli as possibilities.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

SUMMARY OF 414 SPOILERS:

S4, Episode 14: Code of Silence
-- Production code: 414.  Director: James Bamford.  Writers: WM and Oscar Balderrama.  Airdate: Feb. 17, 2016. (MG tweet, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- 414 synopsis: "SECRETS AND LIES — Oliver (Stephen Amell) and team uncover HIVE’s plan to take out Team Arrow once and for all. With HIVE’s next attack imminent, Lance (Paul Blackthorne) wonders if Donna (guest star Charlotte Ross) is safer without him in her life. Meanwhile, with the wedding fast approaching, Oliver begins to feel guilty that he hasn’t told Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) about his son. James Bamford directed the episode written by Wendy Mericle & Oscar Balderrama (#414). Original airdate 2/17/16." (SpoilerTV article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- See 414 promotional pics posted. (TVLine article, page 31 of Spoilers thread)

-- See pic of Donna at Oliver & Felicity's engagement party posted. (CR instagram post, page 31 of Spoilers thread)

-- See 414 behind-the-scenes pics posted. (Canadagraphs article, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- Pic of Oliver Queen for Mayor/Live Mayoral Debate posted. (JBam tweet, page 31 of Spoilers thread)

-- See 414 producer's preview posted. (414 producer's preview video, page 31 of Spoilers thread)

-- See 414 "Code of Silence" trailer posted. (414 trailer video, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- See 414 "Code of Silence" extended trailer posted. (414 extended trailer video, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- See 414 Canadian promos posted. (414 Canadian promo vidoes, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- See 414 Asian promo posted. (414 Asian promo video, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- See 414 sneak peek scene posted. (SpoilerTV article, page 31 of Spoilers thread)

-- In response to fan asking for one word descriptions of the next couple of upcoming episodes (after 412), SA: "Duel. Fallout. Ring." (SA facebook Q&A post, page 856 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- Donna Smoak will appear in 414.  (CR tweet, page 28 of Spoilers thread)

-- Donna will be busy planning an engagement party for Oliver & Felicity in 414. (Seat42F article, page 31 of Spoilers thread, and page 129 of Starling City Times thread)

-- Per JBam, there's a scene in O&F's loft.  CR may also be in this episode. (JBam instagram, page 780 of Spoiler Discussion thread, and 414 promotional pics, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- JBam: "Just broke for lunch and we are about to shoot the largest scene in the episode....and it doesn't even involve action." (JBam tweet on 12/15/15, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per JBam, he was "etting up an intensely emotional scene between" two unnamed characters. (JBam instagram post, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- In response to fan asking whether there will be some sexy scenes (as well as emotional scenes) in 414, JBam replied: "Get your Kleenex ready." (JBam tweet, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- In response to fan asking whether we'll need kleenex for his biggest non-action sequence in 414, JBam replied: "Yup." (JBam tweet, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- In response to fan asking at what point of 414 will we need the kleenex, JBam replied: "A few. And maybe not for the reasons you think." (JBam tweet, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- Curtis Holt (EK) will appear in 414, and EK filmed scene that he described as "life-changing."  (EK tweet, page 782 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- EK and Enid-Raye Adams (plays Laura Hoffman, Ivy Town neighbor in 401) will appear in 414.  (ERA tweet, page 283 of Social Media thread)
-- Per JBam, this episode has "2 very amazing actors from 2 different very amazing fandoms joining us=EPIC".  JBam: "HINT: SCI-FI and COMIC franchises outside the CW/DC Universe are their origin.....too wide open for ya! That's really too bad. Guess again." (JBam tweets, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- Rachel Luttrell will guest star in 414 as Rosie, part of a demolition team that is set against Oliver and his team.  (GateWorld article, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per JBam, the woman demolitioner will be "wielding a modified, high pressured nailgun designed specifically for speed, and delivery of pain in close quarters." (JBam tweet, page 876 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- Per MG, we'll find out in 414 whether or not Darhk knows that Quentin is playing for Oliver's side. (MG tweet, page 31 of Spoilers thread)
-- Quentin has a scene with Oliver in this episode.  (PB Facebook post, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per PB, 414 will have an action sequence involving Quentin and Laurel. PB: "That's the best action sequence I've experienced on #Arrow @JamesBamford Putting myself & @MzKatieCassidy thru our paces! #TopDirector." (PB tweet, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- Arrow filmed scenes at the Vogue Theater, 918 Granville St., in Vancouver, showing emergency evacuation of the theater and showing limo driving away northbound to Smithe.  (Arrow Notification Letter, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- SA was filming inside a theater for 414. (SA's facebook video, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- The theatre was used as the location for the Star City Mayoral Debate. (Pic of theatre marquee in BethEveson tweet, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- The mayoral debate is between Oliver and a woman named Ruve  Adams, who's reported to be DD's wife. (Pic of debate poster in YVRShoots tweet, and YVRShoots article, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- Pics of Felicity, including ones of her in a wheelchair, in the theater posted.  (YVRShoots article, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- On whether Felicity will continue to struggle with being in a wheelchair: “We will definitely feel the weight of it” in episodes to come, WM told Matt Mitovich. “There’s a big decision she and Oliver are going to make at the end of [Episode 413, airing Feb. 10], and it will inform a journey in 414 and 415 that she goes on with respect to how she’s going to handle being in a relationship, from the point of view of somebody who’s in a wheelchair. It’s a very small thing, but it is powerful and it is very emotional.” (TVLine article, page 31 of Spoilers thread)

Either 414 or 415
-- SA: "Obviously, at some point this year, the chickens are going to come home to roost for Oliver, and Felicity will likely find out I have, like, a 10-year-old kid.  (sighs) Oliver... (shakes head in exasperation) ... and I'm sure - but I will tell you, if that happens, I promise, they will handle it like adults." (SA at Dallas ComicCon on 2/13/16, page 317 of Social Media thread)
-- Conklin (RR) will appear in 414 or 415 in scene(s) directed by JBam. (RR tweet, page 811 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I really am curious about the "handle it like adults". He's getting ready to lose her unconditional love and yes trust that Felicity was giving him, and the woman he found a sense of peace with and who he wanted a future with. Felicity is ready to have her trust destroyed, maybe have bouts of insecurities and lose some of her optimistic light, and lose the man she loves and wanted to build a future with. And the hope is they handle it like adults? I really hope somewhere before Oliver's possible 3.5 minute reflection montage (if that's what it is) they devote some time to Felicity's feeling. The show really doesn't do too well with that. Even if Arrow is about Oliver's journey they should at least every once in awhile show how his decisions while he makes his journey effect the ones around him who are sometimes collateral damage from his choices.

• Love 3

I have to admit I am actually upset that they are destroying that Oliver/Felicity relationship in such a cheap manner. Because maybe they will reconcile but sometimes I as the viewer cannot get over certain things that I care about. For example I watched Gilmore Girls and I enjoyed Luke and Lorelai's relationship at first but after the dragged them through the mud one time too much, I couldn't even care at the end. 

• Love 10

I honestly don't know how they will have Oliver fix this.  They've always had Felicity see through his lies before and now she didn't even know that he was lying to her face.  If they ever got back together, how would she know if he would ever do it again and if she would know next time if he was lying.  It just seems like it would take a lot of time for Felicity just to get over it since their entire relationship is built on trust, but Arrow goes through plots like crazy fast, not to mention people would lose interest if it took them forever to get back together.  Do you guys have any ideas about how they will fix it?  It just doesn't seem like there is some easy fix to me.  He seemed like the perfect boyfriend and then BAM! stupid lies - it seemed out of nowhere. 

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 3

The plotline is contrived enough that I can ignore most of it and I've watched enough angst to expect things not to make sense. That helps a lot. I may not watch some of the episodes, but I don't think I'm going to have too much trouble believing they would get back together.

I do want to see him still be there for her, fight for her, something along those lines.

I really want to see her walk again during the break up.

• Love 3

I think you explained how they're going to fix it:

He seemed like the perfect boyfriend .....

Felicity has forgiven Oliver for failing to tell her things like, hey, I wasn't actually brainwashed by the League of Assassins, and, oh, yes, I haven't exactly been open and honest about my past five years on the island because the script won't let me give away details about season five yet, even assuming the writers have any clue about what will be happening on the flashbacks in season five, and he's forgiven her for failing to mention that Ray was building a supersuit and that she was secretly helping out Team Arrow behind his back. And she's forgiven him for killing quite a lot of people, and yelling at her, and marrying Nyssa, and making her have brunch with the boring neighbors, because otherwise, she adores him. So yeah, I'll buy that she'll forgive him for this.

Especially since in this case the script specifically noted that Oliver wanted to tell Felicity, and gave Oliver two reasons to lie - 1, in the original timeline, when Felicity did find out, everyone in Central City died, which is a pretty big incentive, strengthened when Oliver told Laurel that he believes that Felicity got shot because he and Barry changed the timeline.  2, Oliver thinks that this is the only way he can see his son. I think the second reason is questionable at best, but, well, it's in the script.

• Love 10

Yet, from what Stephen said, it looks like they won't share many scenes after the break-up. Still, it can't be worse than last year where they were separated from 310 to 315 (aside from group scenes and that final scene in 312). At least I hope so, haha.

Since SA doesn't have any significant upcoming scenes with EBR post breakup, it doesn't seem like he is trying to patch things up with her which is surprising to me.  I would have expected to hear that there would be heart-to-heart talks, groveling, or some major effort put into it on his part.  I mean, I think it is weird now that "Guilt Arrow" isn't showing any indication of outward guilt except for that timeline mention to Laurel - his compartmentalizing abilities are kinda scary and a bit disturbing on the mental health side of things.  

Is it just Oliver hanging with Diggle and Laurel for the rest of the season and then suddenly they decide to get back together as suddenly as Oliver decided to be a liar?

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 3

Knowing these writers, I figure after whoever dies, Oliver will be faced with another ~dilemma in which he might have to lie to Felicity, except he will tell the truth this time around, and presto: trust rebuilt.

And then I'll pretend none of it ever happened, because that's the only way to watch this show.

• Love 12

The fear that I have is that most of the rest of season 4 will be filled with guest stars, recycled storylines and the masks taking up screen time until episode 3x21. May problem with the masks is that most of the time they don't have that much chemistry together and their fight sequences this year aren't as awesome after you have seen them 14 times.

But then SA said 'recently'  he hasn't been filming much with her and they are now filming 3x18. So this is 3 episodes and I guess, it isn't that much time. 3x15 is the break up, much time with BM drama and Vixen, 3x16 deals with them, 3x17 is the court episode and Momma Smoak, I think.  So I guess it is back to business episodes without the loft stuff. 

Is it just Oliver hanging with Diggle and Laurel for the rest of the season and then suddenly they decide to get back together as suddenly as Oliver decided to be a liar?

• Love 1
3x16 deals with them, 3x17 is the court episode and Momma Smoak, I think.  So I guess it is back to business episodes without the loft stuff.

416 - Is the Court Episode, Cupid and "Wedding"

417 - Is Bree Larkin and Mama Smoak

418 - I don't think we know anything about it yet.

Oh my goodness how I dislike this story line and Marc and his direction. I know life goes on but seriously are these writers truly going to gloss over Oliver and Felicity's break-up? I'm sure they are a major draw for many and with Stephen saying they're not filming much together some might have NO incentive to watch it live. Oh Arrow literally shooting itself every season (except S2) in the back half with a stupidity bow. SMDH!

Oh my goodness how I dislike this story line and Marc and his direction. I know life goes on but seriously are these writers truly going to gloss over Oliver and Felicity's break-up? I'm sure they are a major draw for many and with Stephen saying they're not filming much together some might have NO incentive to watch it live. Oh Arrow literally shooting itself every season (except S2) in the back half with a stupidity bow. SMDH!

Edited by Ann Mack