Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The NFL already has close to 500k followers on Sina Weibo, the Chinese version of Twitter. (For comparison, the Cowboys have 1.6 million followers here.) A small percentage of a billion people is still a lot of people.

It's not just China. Steelers' ownership is volunteering to play in Mexico City, where they have a large following.

I caught some discussion of this on Sirius NFL Channel this afternoon - one of the guys (I have no idea who any of them were) made the snarky comment "They make all the merchandise in China, might as well sell some of it there too..."

They also mentioned Germany as another place they want to hold games, given the large number of US military, the NFL is very popular there, and they are also looking at how many return customers they have had for London games - if a significant percentage of those attending have gone to multiple games, rather than one-offs, it would help the case for a team based in London.  They felt the key to more international games would be adding a 17th regular season game, so no one would have to give up one home game to play overseas.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of The Plain Dealer, the Browns are thinking about possibly moving forward and signing RGIII to a contract. RGIII met with them twice this past weekend. I hope he does NOT sign with the Browns. I don't think that is a good landing spot for him. I think that he needs to go to a team that is more stable (like Broncos) or go somewhere like the Cowboys, where he might eventually get a shot a starter and will have a good O-line to help protect him.

He's nuts if he goes to Cleveland. Cleveland is where QB careers go to DIE, not to be revitalized.

I'm sure a lot of potentially going to Cleveland is RGIII's desire to start right away again, but I hope someone steps in and tells him that he's better off being a back-up for a bit. Hell, go to Dallas, start off as QB2, and chances are you'll be starting by the end of the season anyway. On a MUCH BETTER TEAM.

• Love 2

As for RGIII, half the problem in DC was the lack of consistency in coaches, systems.  Going to Cleveland he will have the same problem.   He needs a stable program to let him develop.    Cowboys may have their issues but coaching changes for the sake of change isn't one of them.   I'd take him and his battered knees over Romo and his glass clavicle any day.

He's nuts if he goes to Cleveland. Cleveland is where QB careers go to DIE, not to be revitalized.

I'm sure a lot of potentially going to Cleveland is RGIII's desire to start right away again, but I hope someone steps in and tells him that he's better off being a back-up for a bit. Hell, go to Dallas, start off as QB2, and chances are you'll be starting by the end of the season anyway. On a MUCH BETTER TEAM.

I had felt before that Jerry Jones should consider taking RGIII. I remember last season he mentioned how he liked him. He would get support in Dallas and would have on O-line that would help protect him. Jerry needs a backup and RGIII could be a solid backup for him and maybe potential starter later on.

I just read an article from the Washington Post that actually said that Cleveland is the best place for RGIII and basically insinuated that no one else really wants him. I think the author of that article is mad that things didn't work out for RGIII in Washington. I strongly disagree that Cleveland is the best place for him, I think it is one of the worst (if not the worst) places for him to go to.

I do wonder if RGIII may think like the author of the Post article that no one wants him, and that his best option is Cleveland. If that is the case, I hope he gets out of that mindset quickly. I do think he could end up in a better situation, even if he has to wait a bit until that situation arises. Maybe the Cowboys will reach out to him, and there is still the Rams. The 49ers could be an option as well if Kaep is traded. And the Broncos aren't completely out of the picture yet. I think that RGIII will make a mistake if he goes to Cleveland.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Poor, poor, RGIII.   

I think he got lured by the money and the chance to start.   His advisors really should have told him the situation there is worse than the one in DC.   And the press is just as brutal.

• Love 2

Poor, poor, RGIII.   

I think he got lured by the money and the chance to start.   His advisors really should have told him the situation there is worse than the one in DC.   And the press is just as brutal.

I think that he may have been lured by these things as well. But even with that, I still think he should have held out for a better team. The other day Jeff Fisher said that he was someone that the Rams would have to consider. Maybe if he had met with them, they would have taken him. They are a better situation than Cleveland and he could possibly start for them right away.  Nick Foles was benched last season and RGIII is a better option for them than Case Keenum.  He possibly could have been a starter for the Rams this season, had he waited.

I wonder what the Browns will do with their draft picks now and if they will still take a QB in the draft. They currently have four QB’s on their team, (RGIII, Josh McCown, Austin Davis and Connor Shaw). I could see them getting rid of Connor Shaw and maybe Austin Davis as well, (like maybe if they draft a QB). I wonder if they will keep Josh McCown. He signed a three-year contract with them last season, but Hue has said “he is getting up there”.

Maybe they will get rid of Josh now that RGIII is on board and draft another QB. Josh was a great mentor last year to Johnny Manziel and Austin Davis, and he played hard. Unfortunately, he got beat up a lot in games and suffered injuries.  Maybe the Browns might still take a QB but it will be in a later round instead of the #2 spot.

Edited by Jx223

Robert Griffin III is an idiot. He's going to fail in Cleveland, just like all QBs do, because that organisation is a disaster. He should have accepted that he needs to be rehabilitated with a team that knows how to coach QBs, and rebuild his career, not throw himself into the lion's den and hope he manages to fight his way out.

So the Browns will probably pass on a QB in the 1st round this year, but I'd put money on them being back in the mix for drafting one in the top five in 2017.

• Love 2

I'm curious to see how RGIII works out in Cleveland.  They have a new regime and a new head coach in Hue Jackson, who I think is a good one.  RG only signed a two year contract.  I'm not personally convinced he made a bad decision here to be the primary guy who will get a lot of coaching attention for two years, as opposed to being the backup guy for another team.  I know Cleveland has been awful, but I'm inclined to think that maybe RG made a good short decision here.  Time will tell. 

• Love 1
I think that he may have been lured by these things as well. But even with that, I still think he should have held out for a better team. The other day Jeff Fisher said that he was someone that the Rams would have to consider. Maybe if he had met with them, they would have taken him. They are a better situation than Cleveland and he could possibly start for them right away.  Nick Foles was benched last season and RGIII is a better option for them than Case Keenum.  He possibly could have been a starter for the Rams this season, had he waited.

This. I am crossing my fingers for RGIII and hoping I'm wrong, but I don't think this is a good decision. The only good news, I guess, is that if he sucks in Cleveland, it's less of a national spotlight than LA and people will blame the Browns mostly instead of him?

I want Cleveland to pick a QB second because otherwise the experts think they are going to take the guy the Giants want and I want that kid on Big Blue.

I'm already completely dejected about this draft because, for the first time since I started watching the NFL, the Ravens have a top 10 pick, but it's in a year where there is almost no one exciting or supremely promising to pick from. The only guys in the top echelon that I like are Bosa, Ramsey and Jack, and they'll all be gone by the time the Ravens pick at #6. I'm already steeling myself for the inevitable Ronnie Stanley bust, and the need to reinvest in Left Tackle yet again in three years time.

The Browns not picking a QB just makes it even more likely that this scenario will play out.

They have a new regime and a new head coach in Hue Jackson

As opposed to every other year in Cleveland?   This is the problem.   They change so often no one can build a good team and get them used to a system.   Sure RGIII only signed a 2 year contract.   So year 1 is learning the new system, and year 2 is being thrown under the bus, signed for year 3, but pushed out for the new guy's guy.    Sound familiar?   Also, the Cleveland press is BRUTAL.   Maybe not as big a market as DC, but people care more about sports in Cleveland.   

Griffin needs to go somewhere with stability.  

• Love 2

While I'm disgusted that the bill got as far as it did, and am very glad that it was vetoed by the Governor, I have to consider the NFL's stand here somewhat empty, as Governor Deal had already said he would veto the bill before the NFL got involved.

IMO the NFL saw a chance to get some PR brownie points and jumped in, knowing that Deal had already made up his mind on the subject, and it would come out looking like they'd had something to do with it without much risk of actually having to follow through and cost one of their owners money. Even if Deal had changed his mind for some reason, the Falcons already got their new tax payer funded stadium by dangling the Super Bowl carrot in front of the city.

Meanwhile, at the same time, North Carolina was pushing through a law barring transgender people from public restrooms that don't match the sex listed on their birth certificates (and preventing local ordinances extending protections to LGBT people), note that his is a law that will directly impact transgender football fans who attend Panthers games in Charlotte, but I have noticed no comment from the NFL or promises to keep future Super Bowls out of Charlotte. But then the Panthers haven't cashed in on a new tax payer funded stadium in the last 10 years, so they have to keep that carrot on the table and won't risk making waves that could actually hurt one of their owners bid for a free stadium in the future.

• Love 3

A couple of days ago, The New York Times posted an article examining the NFL's shoddy concussion research and their use of firms connected to the tobacco industry. The NFL's lawyers requested a retraction and the Times responded with an awesome passive aggressive burn. My favorite part?

While your earlier letter to The Times called the tobacco industry “perhaps the most odious industry in America history,” you somehow fail to mention in either letter that it was your firm that represented Phillip Morris in that RICO case.

How is it that the mighty NFL's lawyers get owned so often?

• Love 5

What am I missing about the Twitter announcement? I'm not sure why it is such a big deal they are going to stream Thursday night games. Maybe because I have Verizon for phone and TV.

What am I missing about the Twitter announcement? I'm not sure why it is such a big deal they are going to stream Thursday night games. Maybe because I have Verizon for phone and TV.

All you are missing is that is further evidence the NFL Thursday night games are just a money grab that the league is whoring out any way they can, no matter if the fans, players, coaches or anyone else involved wants them, likes them, needs them or cares about them.

• Love 2
(edited)

What the Twitter deal tells me is that Goodell is an awful CEO. Because he is the only one who doesn't have an internet strategy. 

The league treats the internet like it's just an extension of TV, putting it out for bid like they do the networks. But every other media company is working on platforms that go straight from the content producer to the consumer. Baseball's MLBAM is the most prominent example, but networks like HBO (powered by MLBAM) ESPN and CBS are doing it and movie studios are proposing a plan to stream movies the same day they are released in theaters.

So not only is the Twitter deal a money grab, it represents a business strategy that was probably pretty forward looking. . . about a decade ago.

It's lazy.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

Some interesting things are continuing to happen with the Denver Broncos and their search for a QB. They are kind of at stalemate with the 49ers over Kaepernick's contract. I had read that they wanted the 49ers to pay a portion of his salary or Kaep to take a large paycut, and that is why things are kind of at a standstill between the two teams over Kaep right now. I also read that their was some type of deal loosely in place for him.

it's been reported today from ESPN a couple of Broncos sources said that Gary Kubriak reached out to Johnny  Manziel about a month ago to talk about him possibly having a roster spot on the team down the line, if his legal issues are resolved and depending on what disclipline the NFL possibly dishes out to him. Gary cares about Johnny and much of that conversation could have been about him being concerned about Johnny's well-being in general.

Adam Schefter is saying that if Johnny ever did join the Broncos there would be stipulations placed on him like he would have to go to mandatory counseling and possibly do some clinical things as well. He has some connections with the Broncos that are related to A&M, Kubriak, Von Miller who played for A&M. Plus Wade Phillips wanted the Texans to draft Johnny back in 2014. So he has some supporters in that organization. Plus there is veteran leadership there and the front office is more stable than the Browns are.

A couple of other Denver sources are saying there is no plans to sign Johnny in place and it hasn't been discussed.

Also, it was reported a little while ago that the Broncos were interested in signing Josh McCown. I really like Josh McCown and hope if he exits Cleveland he lands in a good spot. He's seems like a really good guy and he played very hard for the Browns last year and was a really good mentor for Johnny.  I don't know what might happen if him and Sanchez end up being the Broncos QB's. I feel like the Broncos might be better off going younger, when they make their next choice for QB. 

I am interested in seeing how things work out for the Broncos and see who they end up choosing to fill their other QB position.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15155074/gary-kubiak-johnny-manziel-talk-fit-denver-broncos

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25544366/heres-the-date-the-49ers-will-want-colin-kaepernick-out-of-san-francisco

Adam Schefter is saying that if Johnny ever did join the Broncos there would be stipulations placed on him like he would have to go to mandatory counseling and possibly do some clinical things as well.

So, why didn't the Browns do something similar initially? It's not like his issues with booze came out of nowhere.

(edited)

So, why didn't the Browns do something similar initially? It's not like his issues with booze came out of nowhere.  

Johnny has his issues, but I don't think that the Browns was the best fit for him. The Browns have been dysfunctional for a long time (I hope they eventually get things together) and have had a really hard time helping their QB's including their young ones succeed.  Plus, some of the most important people on that team including Coach Pettine never wanted Johnny. And I think he knew/felt that and I think that is one of the reasons why he behaved the way he did during his time in Cleveland.

They told him from the get go to "act like a backup" and didn't seem that supportive of him. I do believe that owner Jimmy Haslam and several of his teammates cared about him. I also believe that Flip O'Connell former Browns OC's (now with Philly) and Kevin O'Connell (former QB coach) cared about him. And when Flip/Kevin and Josh McCown worked with Johnny he improved a lot on the field from his first year. But overall, I don't think that Browns was the best environment for him.

I'm not sure that he will actually end up with the Broncos.I could see them eventually working things out and acquiring Kaepernick. But if Johnny did, maybe it could work largely depending on what he's willing and (actually does) to be apart of that team. They have a much more stable front office than the Browns and they have good veteran leadership, that could maybe help him. He's supposed to work out with Von Miller this spring, we'll see if that actually happens.

Edited by Jx223
Johnny has his issues, but I don't think that the Browns was the best fit for him.

Adam Schefter is saying that if Johnny ever did join the Broncos there would be stipulations placed on him like he would have to go to mandatory counseling and possibly do some clinical things as well.

I was kind of being sarcastic, since I've been saying that all along in response to the comments that JM needs to "grow up, stuck it up, be a man, etc." The Browns knew they had someone on their hands with legit substance abuse problems and just didn't do anything about it, when, in fact, they could have come up with a plan like the Broncos might. 

But you go ahead and hire a baseball sabermetrics person. That will turn all your personnel problems right around. Anyone seriously considering to play for that organization needs to be 5150-ed. 

Yeah, I figured when I first heard his name that that's where he got it from.  I was a huge Thorn Birds fan, too, and all the women in my office (including myself) were in love with Father Ralph.   (My guess was that his mom couldn't spell it correctly and just said the hell with it, and spelled it the way she heard it.)

• Love 1

Former Saints Player Will Smith shot dead over a stupid traffic accident that he didn't even cause.   Some guy who was CLEARLY compensating for something rear-ended Smith's vehicle, while driving a Hummer.   They exchanged words, the guy shot Smith dead and wounded his wife.   No word on how badly, but she was shot in the leg.    So, guy causes accident then he shoots the guy whose car he hits?    Seriously.   

Also, the video of the scene with the first responders is out.   I will not watch it.   That's not journalism, that's voyereurism.    The family doesn't need to see those moments right now.  Or it should be their choice if they do.   Not have it shoved it their faces because it's fucking everywhere.

• Love 5

http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/04/10/will-smiths-killer-cardell-hayes-did-security-for-saints-shooting-may-not-have-been-random/

Edit: Sorry, on cell phone, can't remember how to make a title within a link.

Basically, it's looking less like a random road rage shooting. The murderer worked security for the Saints. He also had a wrongful death suit (for his father) pending against the Officer that Will Smith had just dined with.

RIP, Will. We needed more men like you in the world.

Edited by punkypower

Allegedly, Josh Gordon failed a drug test a month ago. That kid needs help.

Also I saw a story that Johnny Manziel is living with Gordon, not with Von Miller as had been previously reported.

Also I saw a story that Johnny Manziel is living with Gordon, not with Von Miller as had been previously reported.

I actually got an ESPN alert about this on my phone today. "Manziel rooming with Josh Gordon, not Von Miller." WTF? I mean seriously, what the fuck? That's worthy of a news alert?

• Love 2

I think it's unfortunate that Josh failed another drug test. He really has been working hard this past year. He has been training in LA and he is in great shape. This failed test doesn't necessarily mean he won't get reinstated, so maybe there is a small chance that he will. He needs to stop smoking weed. I think he can do this. I believe that Josh has passed several drug tests this past year, he's had to take a lot more because of the stage he of the substance abuse program he's in. This last go around he slipped up though. I hope he realizes that his career is more important than drugs and that he tries to save it.

I actually got an ESPN alert about this on my phone today. "Manziel rooming with Josh Gordon, not Von Miller." WTF? I mean seriously, what the fuck? That's worthy of a news alert?

Lol! ESPN and many of the other news outlets are ridiculous in a lot of the coverage that they do of Johnny. I can understand there being concern with Josh/Johnny living together giving issue they have/have dealt with in the past, and how those concerns could grow given today's news about Josh. But in the grand scheme of things they are adults and ESPN/other outlets can't dictate who they can live with.

Several outlets were commenting on Johnny's living arrangements and judging him and also Josh and even Von Miller. People are saying he shouldn't be living with Josh, he doesn't deserve to live with Von, etc.... ESPN spent several segments today talking about this and trying to figure out where Johnny was living and it came across as them being invasive towards him. His living arrangements don't have anything to do with sports and it's not sports news. ESPN and others sports sites need to stop reporting on stuff like this.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

I looked at the photos (medical stuff never grosses me out), and it's remarkable what they were able to do. 

He's got a good attitude, and I can't wait to see him on the field again this fall.

• Love 1

According to a newspaper article I read today, allegedly Will Smith, in a Mercedes, rear-ended the shooter who was driving a Hummer and then Smith drove around to drive away.

The shooter's lawyer actually had the nerve to say that the video of this incident "would vindicate" his client.

Are you fucking kidding me? Smith was shot EIGHT TIMES, seven in the back. If your fucking Hummer can't take getting hit by a Mercedes and also it so enraged you that you need to slaughter a family, well, fuck you. You'll never be vindicated. Asshole.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

The shooter's attorney also said Smith mentioned a gun first.   I have a friend who a criminal defense attorney.   For self-defense you don't have to wait for them to pull their weapon, you can act to protect yourself if you have a reasonable belief that you are in danger of imminent bodily harm.   Waiting for the other person to pull their gun may be too late to act.    A gun was found in Smith's car.

There are a LOT of twists and turns to this story.   It is not as clear cut as it first appeared on Sunday morning.   A lot more facts have come out and a lot more still will.   As I remarked to said friend, this is soooo reminding me of the OJ case.   He agreed.

• Love 2

ESPN is going to have a TWO HOUR special tonight to reveal next season's NFL schedule.

And what do you want to bet it gets good ratings.

Why do we need 2 hours to discuss yet another Patriots - Broncos game, Patriots - Colts game, Patriots - Steelers game, Broncos - Panthers rematch (I know they face each other in the upcoming season) or the Cowboys schedule? This is so pointless on so many levels. Are they going to hype up the Cowboys again & think that 2016 could finally be their year?  I don't get interested in the NFL schedule till Labor Day. I could careless about it in April.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

Rams land Titans' No. 1 overall pick in blockbuster, so which QB?

Yawn. How many want to bet this will go the way of the RGIII/Sam Bradford trade deal. Adam Schefter tweeted that Jeff Fisher is finally helping the Titans win. *Rimshot*

Resetting the boards for this draft, the Titans now have:

1st round — No. 15 overall
2nd round — No. 33
2nd round — No. 43 (from Rams)
2nd round — No. 45 (from Rams)
3rd round — No. 64
3rd round — No. 76 (from Rams)
5th round — No. 140
6th round — No. 193 (from Falcons)
7th round — No. 222

The Rams now have:

1st round — No. 1 overall (from Titans)
4th round — No. 110
4th round — No. 113
6th round — No. 177 (from Titans)
6th round — No. 190

Edited by yourpointis

The shooter's attorney also said Smith mentioned a gun first.   I have a friend who a criminal defense attorney.   For self-defense you don't have to wait for them to pull their weapon, you can act to protect yourself if you have a reasonable belief that you are in danger of imminent bodily harm.   Waiting for the other person to pull their gun may be too late to act. 

Yeah, this story has twisted seven ways from Sunday since first reported.  I do understand that they found a gun in Smith's car.  That makes nothing here right or wrong, it just says to me to 'pump my brakes', if you will, about how this will all play out.

My thoughts remain with Smith and his family regardless.

• Love 1

Yeah, this story has twisted seven ways from Sunday since first reported.  I do understand that they found a gun in Smith's car.  That makes nothing here right or wrong, it just says to me to 'pump my brakes', if you will, about how this will all play out.

My thoughts remain with Smith and his family regardless.

Ah, America. The country where a fender bender ends up with a guy dead because both drivers were carrying guns. It surely is the land of opportunity! Crazy.

Anyway, back to football. The Rams did the inevitable and traded up to 1st spot in the draft, giving up way too much to do it. They're feeling that L.A. pressure to succeed now, and I feel bad for whichever QB they take, because he instantly becomes the most scrutinised rookie in the country. It makes sense for it to be Goff, being a local boy and the more developed player, but I bet they go for the Wentz project, and end up crashing and burning with him.

• Love 2