Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

That sucks (re: Kosar).  All the best going forward.

Pretty amazing that the first game is 7 weeks from Thursday, and the first game that only counts toward one's health & safety is less than a month away.  Probably not much movement toward who's likely going to emerge from the pack and hoist something.

Looks like Vegas still trends toward the chalk.  So until proven otherwise, it's the Kansas City show featuring San Francisco.

KC and the Niners are about 6/1 to be the 59th Super Bowl winners, tied for best odds.  That's followed by Baltimore, Detroit, Cincinnati, and Philadelphia.

San Francisco is the current clear favorite to repeat as NFC champions.  The Lions are next, followed by Philly, Green Bay, Dallas, and Atlanta.  By the way, the 49ers, like KC, are slated for a week off after Week 18.  I don't know; the NFC West, including Arizona, might be much better.  Good enough to knock off the champs or in a failed attempt, allow Detroit or someone else to host throughout.

I do hope that the Lions can do so.  They were so close to end city, and who knows what could've been.  For what it's worth, they would have put a bow on their conference as it relates to representing it in the Big Game.  However, if I had to bet, that stat on Goff > Mahomes sort of would've gone by the wayside.

So it's Niners, Detroit, Philly, and Atlanta for their division.  The Falcons sort of flew by Tampa with that Cousins signing.  We'll see how that works out.  Chiefs, Baltimore, Houston, and Buffalo for the AFC.  Same teams as the past year (similar to 2011-2012).  Speaking of which, I would love to see Houston as a top 2 seed.  If they hold at home, that gets them to the AFC title game for the first time.

I guess I would be fine seeing Kansas City win each of the next 2-3 Super Bowls, but if not, I'd love to see someone knock them off this coming season.  That would be great news for Kyle Shanahan, unless the Ravens are the beneficiary

Why is Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, California?  Why are we talking about Dak’s contract; didn’t we JUST do this?  Why do we have to hear from not one, but TWO Jones’s?

• Like 1
(edited)

Why is Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, California?

I have no idea. 

Why are we talking about Dak’s contract; didn’t we JUST do this? 

Mainly because Dak Prescott is an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of this season & Dak want to be paid like a Top 5 NFL Quarterback. BTW, the Cowboys have other players (Micah Parsons, Cee Dee Lamb, etc) that want BIG money from them. I'm sure that Jerry Jones & Stephen Jones will find a way to mess that up.

Why do we have to hear from not one, but TWO Jones’s?

Because they both suck, are absolute pure scummy, & are absolute idiots. Despite their $9 Billion worth (I wish that ESPN, FS1, & others of their ilk would stop talking about that like its newsworthy because it is not), their "Brand" isn't worth a damn these days.

Frankly, the Cowboys suck, their "brand" suck, & the entire Jones family suck. It will be very joyful to see how much more they all can suck in the upcoming season

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Why is Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, California?

Would you want to train outdoors in Texas during the height of the summer?

That, and it helps grow the fanbase.  You know what's worse than being hated?  Being ignored. 

• Like 2

I live in the Pittsburgh Steeler market so there is always tons of Steeler merchandise.  There will be some Cleveland Browns as well.  But there is always a ton of Dallas Cowboys merch too.  Just from my own observation there is far fewer Cowboys fans here than the media seems to want people to think. They are not "America's Team".  Interesting side note: There are quite a few Raiders fans in my area.

When my local KMart was open (suburbs of Syracuse), they seemed to think we lived in Pittslas because the amount of Steelers and Cowboys merchandise they sold was wholly unreasonable.

5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

When my local KMart was open (suburbs of Syracuse), they seemed to think we lived in Pittslas because the amount of Steelers and Cowboys merchandise they sold was wholly unreasonable.

Yes it was KMart who had a ton of Dallas stuff.  Maybe Jerry Jones owned stock in KMart.

14 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Would you want to train outdoors in Texas during the height of the summer?

The Texans are training in NE Ohio in Aug.  Then directly to Canton for the HoF game.  Nick Caserio is from Lyndhurst, Oh, a suburb of Cleveland.

9 hours ago, roamyn said:

The Texans are training in NE Ohio in Aug.  Then directly to Canton for the HoF game.  Nick Caserio is from Lyndhurst, Oh, a suburb of Cleveland.

Meanwhile. the Browns are down in West Virginia at the Greenbriar.

2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Jordan Love gets his bag.

Tell me you saw this coming midway through last season.

He's only proven himself the last half of the season.

Like Trevor Lawrence, is he REALLY worth committing that kind of money w/little to go on?

4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Like Trevor Lawrence, is he REALLY worth committing that kind of money w/little to go on?

Yes, only a half season of good play, plus a big playoff win. But he's been in the Packers system for several years and they trust and believe in him. Plus they've got a pretty good team around him. What were the Packers supposed to do in this situation? What every other team would do - pay him.  Packer fans are hoping he doesn't turn into a loon like the last guy!

Any NFL contract is a huge gamble. If Love has a significant injury in Week 1, it could be devastating for the Packers. But if he's their starter for the next decade and takes them to a couple Super Bowls? Gutekunst is a hero in Green Bay, mentioned along with Ron Wolf and Jack Vainisi.  

• Like 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, roamyn said:

They don't really have much of a choice.  They hedged last season on picking up the fifth-year option on him.  Had they not done that, or traded Rodgers earlier, they could have negotiated his contract in the fall before all the record-setting monster contracts started happening and re-set the market. 

They elected to do an extension in May of 2023, which committed less to him in the short term, but it meant they couldn't renegotiate until May 2024 (a year from when he signed his first extension) once they realized he was their long-term solution.

I don't know enough about Trevor Lawrence to compare but once things clicked for Love,  his play pretty much followed an upward trajectory. And from what I've heard about NFL contracts, you're paying for what you think you will get and not what entirely what you've gotten.*

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1

Yeah, the Packers had to pay him.  As mentioned, I'd like to see more, and doing so would give TPTB more info along with comfort on how to proceed with Love financially.

Had Jordan played for Pittsburgh or New York, that would be a bad call IMO.  FYI, in "New York" I'm referring to the Jets, not the Giants; TBH the latter would be in a better spot too.   Both the Jets & Steelers are run by defensive minded guys.  Whereas you have a very good offensive minded guy for the Packers.  Similar to Detroit, they are a young & promising team that nearly knocked off the NFC champ in a hostile environment.  So I expect them to be better in 2024.

As far as a week one injury, that would've changed nothing since 2023 still took place.  Well, for the most part.  If Green Bay managed to do well or if the injury affected 2025 then here comes the franchise tag.  Jordan Love is a first round pick.  While that payday would've been a surprise without the second half of 2023, it would not have been a shocker.  The issue wasn't that he was a bust; the issue was that nobody saw much of anything since the beginning of the decade

• Like 1

Patriots Defensive linemen Christian Barmore was diagnosed with blood clots. He receiving treatment at Mass General Hospital. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2

The Hall of Fame Game is tomorrow (already? WTF) and the Bears are not playing any starters and NBC will be showing the re-air of the Women’s All-Around gymnastics finals at the same time.  Good luck, NFL!

I meant to post this yesterday (about how things are getting started on Thursday).  Crazy to think that next year, the NFL will get going in July!

To be honest, I would not be shocked if the NFL still found a way to beat the Olympics.  Though I though Williams was playing.  Probably smart not to.

(edited)

In my honest opinion, all I can say about kids in Atlanta & other places down south is that their school year should better come to an end on or around May 9, 2025.

Sticking to the theme of things starting early, I still don't think I'd tune into the game if it were taking place a couple weeks later and/or if Caleb Williams were playing.  Nothing to gain for the preseason.  Though I do wonder what would happen to the HOF game if the NFL ever actually made it to 20 games.

I'd say punt it.  Otherwise you'd risk someone getting hurt faster than Rodgers did a year ago.  Speaking of Aaron, what outstanding dialogue the 4X MVP winner and future immediate HOF player had with Robert Saleh during the offseason!

Edited by Carey
Forgot the link to the webpage!

I have no issue with Joe Buck normally, and outside of announcing he’s actually really funny, but for some reason tonight his voice is super grating.  I think it’s the monotone after listening to excited Olympics commentators for the last five days.

On 8/1/2024 at 9:25 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

It's the Rowdy Gaines effect. 😀

Just turned on the game. WTF are they doing on kickoffs? Why is there a big green box in the end zone? 

Make it make sense! 🤪

No one understands the new kickoff.   They were trying to explain the zones where different things happened.   Its gonna be a mess.   

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

No one understands the new kickoff.   They were trying to explain the zones where different things happened.   Its gonna be a mess.   

In the short-run? It sure is.  However in the long-run?  It's going to be fine.  It's similar to several of the other rule chances over the years.  It'll feel rusty in the early stages of the season, but eventually everybody will settle in, get used to it, and be okay with it going forward.

I'm not a big fan of it.  As mentioned by Cowherd and whomever else, it takes away an automatic play & adds excitement to the game.  It's safer, will produce more returns, and could increase the number of kickoff TD returns.

The double-standard here is that the league sort of created the automatic touch back outcome themselves when they moved things from the 30 to the 35.

Here's an update on the in-game interviews, speaking of things I'm not a big fan of.  I do think there may be some good to come out from those

20 hours ago, Carey said:

Here's an update on the in-game interviews, speaking of things I'm not a big fan of.  I do think there may be some good to come out from those

Now those are gonna be terrible.   They are already doing them in the NBA and the coach is very distracted because they are trying to, you know, coach the game.    The NFL can literally see how it is going in the NBA but decided to do it anyway.   Its gonna add nothing to watching a game.   I don't know any fans going "You know what this game really needs, hearing from the coach right in the middle of a play."

• Like 5

Sticking to the theme of things starting early, I still don't think I'd tune into the game if it were taking place a couple weeks later and/or if Caleb Williams were playing.  Nothing to gain for the preseason.  Though I do wonder what would happen to the HOF game if the NFL ever actually made it to 20 games.

20 games?! (😒) Can we please not give those scumbags Roger Goodell, Jerry Jones, & Stephen Jones any more ideas? Gee, what's next? Having the Super Bowl in March?

Speaking of the HOF Game, the only thing good about that game is that it makes a 3 hour nap go faster.

On 7/26/2024 at 2:40 AM, mojoween said:

Why is Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, California?  Why are we talking about Dak’s contract; didn’t we JUST do this?  Why do we have to hear from not one, but TWO Jones’s?

I was working a long-term contract for the hospital in Oxnard in 2013, had been staying at the Residence Inn for months, when I was abruptly forced to vacate and find another hotel so that Dall-ass could take my room.  As if I didn’t have enough reasons to hate them…

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
(edited)
On 8/4/2024 at 11:56 AM, merylinkid said:

Now those are gonna be terrible.   They are already doing them in the NBA and the coach is very distracted because they are trying to, you know, coach the game.    The NFL can literally see how it is going in the NBA but decided to do it anyway.   Its gonna add nothing to watching a game.   I don't know any fans going "You know what this game really needs, hearing from the coach right in the middle of a play."

According to NFL VP Cathy Yancy, Fans want to be closer to the game, and they want to get to know the players & coaches.  Having that kind of relationship is important.  They want to hear them, and that's great.

You know what?  No I don't.  I guess I can't speak for other fans, but I do not want to hear from the coaches & the players, especially the former in-game.  They have a post-game press-conference, and I believe a mid-week one too.  That is enough.  As for the players, I'd only want to "get to know them" for a proper, successful prediction in terms of Fantasy Football and sports betting.

So, I'll completely disagree with Cathy Yancy here.  I do not need to hear from the coaches.  I just want to watch the game.  You know, the thing that determines a winner, a champion.

That being said, I did mention how there was some good to come from the new interview nonsense.  I thought I actually posted what that was.  Really, to echo Florio and others, I think it'll be a way for assistants to showcase themselves for a better shot at a better job.  OTOH, if their HC's aren't a fan of that, they can do the interviews themselves, to best emulate Pop

Edited by Carey
"Two" & "too" sound alike, but aren't exactly the same thing
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1

I'm confused about just what Baltimore Raven Marlon Humphrey objected to in how Simone Biles and Jordan Chiles honored a competitor at the Olympics.  In what way was it "disgusting?"  I thought it was a terrific gesture of sportsmanship, demonstrating the spirit of the Olympics.  Apparently he's issued an apology after a tremendous and very much deserved backlash. 

Harrison Butker must have appreciated someone else stepping up to be the biggest idiot in the NFL.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Two of the greatest quotes, including a quote one of my mentors has voiced every-so-often apply here.

"Mum's the word."

"I think that guy might have been better off 'sitting this one out'."

Okay, so that first quote doesn't really apply.  However, if there is anything that is unknown about a competitor or whomever, that's negative but not on a level that wrecks a global economy/everyone's livelihood, I'd prefer someone taking the "saying less" route.

The latter quote is the better call.  Now, always, and forever.  At least he apologized.

Speaking of Harrison, I actually thought about him the other day.  Not a fan of his.  Plus, I'll take my own advice here.  Helps that there are an infinite amount of (positive) stories to discuss throughout the league

Edited by Carey

Phil Simms is back in the booth woot woot!  Caveat - the Giants game is on the iPad on mute so I haven’t listened yet, but I will at 9 and fangirl all over then.

To be honest, it's time to do away with the preseason, period.  Something I've said every season before the dawn of time, I think.

Just make August NFL meaningful, and then after 4 games, cut the rosters from 90 people to 55.

As someone who despises the hated, cheating Wolverines, and knowing McCarthy is not a great QB, I can't help but laugh at the karma. Now let Ol'Khaki Pants get what's coming to him.

Tho I do feel for Vikings fans.

• Like 1

Did you guys know that the Cowboys are now worth $10 Billion Dollars? Yay. 😒

Its going to be very enjoyable to see how much absolute suckage that $10 Billion is going to bring to Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, & the Cowboys this season. 😂 🤣

• Mind Blown 1

Well Caleb's still up in the air.  Remember Bryce was very good last pre-season and Stroud wasn't.   But I do give him a good chance considering his weapons.

• Like 1

The good news is that Williams will get a free pass if things don't work out this year.  Imagine if/when they give him an offensive HC by Year 2.  Decent things to come for Chicago.  Unlike Pittsburgh, whose football team is now secure in the same category as its baseball team (and maybe even its hockey team).  That would be an ownership change.

Carolina despite the owner is still closer to a title than Pittsburgh, coincidentally speaking.  It'll take another year or two, and too bad their HC will not survive it, but I do think they'll get a first round pick for 2025.  It's just not going to be as special as Caleb

(edited)

Why is Tua being made out to be the villain?  If Flores really said those things that Tua said, that IS terrible.  Tua has the right to feel how he feels and of course Flores can defend himself, but Tua is not the bad guy here.

The hysterical reaction is why athletes never say anything real or honest, and it’s also rather gross victim blaming.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
On 8/21/2024 at 2:13 AM, mojoween said:

Why is Tua being made out to be the villain?  If Flores really said those things that Tua said, that IS terrible.  Tua has the right to feel how he feels and of course Flores can defend himself, but Tua is not the bad guy here.

The hysterical reaction is why athletes never say anything real or honest, and it’s also rather gross victim blaming.

As Flores was being fired by Miami, I thought it was an unjust firing and that Tua was a Nathan Peterman level incompetent based on how scared Flores was to give him any rope whatsoever. Now it's clear that Tua was at least competent, and Flores seems to be serially unable to manage an offense. His firing the OC's over and over is another piece of evidence. Flores may just be a great coordinator who can never lead a whole team.

I still think that Tua isn't that good and paying him like an elite QB is a mistake that will limit their ceiling, but its undeniable that he can execute in a well constructed offense.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Did anyone watch the Raiders/49ers game last night (this morning)?  Was it as fun as the alerts made it seem?

It was pretty amusing. Niners almost pulled off a fumblerooski for the win as time expired.

• Like 1