Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

(edited)

Mojoween: A move would wreck one's ego (the player being traded) if that was never the player's main intention.

Anyway, until proven otherwise, Houston is the clear winner here.  They were already decent before the move, whereas Buffalo has a ton of issues.  Possibly good news for the AFC East, and really, whoever plays them on the road in the postseason.  Or not; since 2011, the AFC winner won its first game every season but one.

Pretty certain that Houston's HC isn't going to tolerate nonsense from Diggs whereas Sean did.

Edited after seeing a post from Salacious Kitty coming out of nowhere despite refreshing before my reply where there wasn't one.  Modifying my commentary

Edited by Carey
Rephrasing my response to Bills/Texans Trade

I’m hoping CJ can keep Stefan calm when he doesn’t get 90% of passes tossed to him.  Seems like that’s an ongoing issue w/Diggs.  At the end of his tenure w/Cousins and now w/Allen.

But the Texans are looking scary right now.

• Like 2

Still a stacked AFC, and the NFC is getting better.  In fact, they face the entire NFC North.  Fortunately, they'll get the entire AFC East.  They should be able to win their division.  Not going to say they'll get to New Orleans, but they might actually reach the conference title game for the first time.  They haven't even hosted a divisional game. 

They'll still have to worry about Kansas City & Baltimore.  Even Los Angeles & Cincinnati will be better, but Houston is getting better & better, prior to a season where CJ can only grow from what took place in 2023

I imagine they'll dump him in a hurry if that's the case.  Maybe trade him to Kansas City or something.  That, IMO, would actually work.  Diggs is still talented, but there would be zero chance an unpopular attitude from him would survive within KC

• Like 1
On 4/4/2024 at 7:18 AM, Carey said:

Even Los Angeles & Cincinnati will be better, but Houston is getting better & better,

The Chargers?  They don't even have a #2 receiver,  much less a #1.  They haven't done much to improve so far this off season.

I'm not a Harbaugh fan (Kahki Pants, not John).  I can't wait for him to fail.

I like Joe Burrow, but he's injury/illness prone.  The start every season in the hole, and while they have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps, last year they fell behind early in the division and w/Joe's injuries it finally caught up with them.  They also lost Mixon (to the Texans) and have a disgruntled Tee Higgins in the locker room.

I think the Jets are more of a challenge if they can stay healthy.  Tho I'm also hoping for an Aaron Rodgers fail there, too.

7 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I'm not a Harbaugh fan (Kahki Pants, not John).  I can't wait for him to fail.

Me too.  And not just because I hate Michigan.  I've come to tolerate John if only because my team has been playing his twice (at least) a year for well over a decade.  Better the devil you know than the one you don't.

10 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I like Joe Burrow, but he's injury/illness prone.

I do like him but yeah he gets hurt a lot. And that will most likely shorten his career. But when he is healthy he is fun to watch.  Especially when he is beating teams I don't like.

11 minutes ago, roamyn said:

The Chargers?  They don't even have a #2 receiver,  much less a #1.  They haven't done much to improve so far this off season.

I feel like I have been hearing the Chargers are on the cusp of greatness for years.  I haven't watched them play a lot so I have to ask is Justin Herbert a good QB on a bad team or is the rest of the team just a scapegoat for Herbert not being as good as he is thought to be?

16 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I think the Jets are more of a challenge if they can stay healthy.  Tho I'm also hoping for an Aaron Rodgers fail there, too.

I never had a problem with the Jets until they got Aaron Rodgers.  Sorry Jets but with him behind center I am going to actively root for you to lose. 

• Like 3
On 4/5/2024 at 8:45 AM, bluegirl147 said:

Me too.  And not just because I hate Michigan.  I've come to tolerate John if only because my team has been playing his twice (at least) a year for well over a decade.  Better the devil you know than the one you don't.

And the recent slathering over JJ makes me actively root for his failing, too.

I don’t feel he’s comparable to Jayden, Drake or Caleb.  He lucked out with a great defense and a great running back in Blake.  He’s more a Will Levis, IMO.  

I think John is a better HC than Jim not just because of ‘TTUN’, but because the latter has a history of irascibility with his superiors (every owners & GMs, & ADs he’s ever played for).  And his nonsensical press conferences where he tries to be funny and wise, and just comes off as awkward & stupid.  John is more even keeled personality wise.

• Like 2

I wouldn't wish for Washington to fail.  Especially since it's a new era that follows a forgettable one. 

However, I'll be okay with them failing since that helps New York.  That's what will happen if JJ gets picked second.  I don't hate the kid, but as mentioned, everybody else around him made that team.  Given the personnel, they might be back to drafting in the top 2 again, finding out the hard way that they should've done better at the position.

Doesn't help that they face the AFC North.  They wouldn't go undefeated since Pittsburgh is coming to DC.  However, the NFC is actually better this season, so maybe stay away from JJ.  Harbaugh pimping McCarthy is him being loyal to a fault, combined with the love of wanting to hear oneself speak.  However, JJ probably fits better in Minnesota.

Meanwhile, John is actually okay.  However, he does boast a lot.  So that can be a turn-off.  What's fair is that it seems natural, and his team wins, with ease

• Like 2
(edited)

I would hope a team doesn't draft a player and a QB no less because of hype. But we have seem quite a few busts so yeah it does happen.

Regarding JJ I will ask what I always ask.  Would JJ have won games on a lesser team? I don't see him starting at the beginning of the season and probably not during the season either.

John Harbaugh has mellowed.  He used to be obnoxious.  Maybe the mellowness comes with age or experience.   I think Jim Harbaugh will always be obnoxious.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 1

I wonder why some birthdays hit differently than others?

For instance, Tiki Barber (huh.  I just realized that the newspaper mentioned Tiki, and not Hall of Famer Ronde.  Stands to reason they share a birthday) turns 49 today and I was like “huh.  That seems right.”

But also celebrating a birthday today is Tony Dorsett, who turns 70, and I was like “70? 70?!? No way I feel like I *just* saw him play.”  Very odd dichotomy.

• Like 3

New England Patriots Safety Kyle Duggar, who was tagged earlier in this calendar year, is getting paid.  According to Ian Rappaport, it a four-year deal around $58 to $66 Million, $32,500,000 guaranteed.

I'm not sure it's changing their 5.5 win total in a positive direction, but with common sense, it looks like the guy will not have to worry about money & bills for the rest of his life

(edited)

I guess it is going to be the Packers & Eagles Wk 1 in Brazil.  People jumped the gun at Cleveland. 

My brother will be bummed, his wife is Brazilian and they probably would've gone there for the game, as he's a Brownie, too.

Edited by roamyn
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

I guess it is going to be the Packers & Eagles Wk 1 in Brazil.  People jumped the gun at Cleveland.

I think a Browns player said it was them but probably misunderstood the situation.   I think it was between GB and Cleveland.   Cleveland was probably more willing to go so they thought it'd be them but the league wanted GB because of how popular they are there. And the league gets what the league wants.

• Useful 1

While it's sorta not fair, it made sense for Green Bay, and it's not a surprise that they were less interested than the Brown Paper Bags.  In other words they may not have been interested, but thinking it through the Packers are losing a true road game.  That mean that they have 9 homes game to their 7 road games.

Meanwhile the Eagles have 8 home games to their 8 road games.  So much for a competitive advantage!

16 hours ago, Carey said:

While it's sorta not fair, it made sense for Green Bay, and it's not a surprise that they were less interested than the Brown Paper Bags.  In other words they may not have been interested, but thinking it through the Packers are losing a true road game.  That mean that they have 9 homes game to their 7 road games.

Meanwhile the Eagles have 8 home games to their 8 road games.  So much for a competitive advantage!

I hate it - as I mentioned above, where I live in Wisconsin is not considered "home" territory for the Packers, so I won't get the game on commercial TV and I don't subscribe to Peacock.  

The Packers have played in only one international game, in London in 2022.  Knowing the economic impact home games have on the Green Bay area, the NFL has never taken a home game from the Packers (although that could change in future years with the additional home game) and a lot of teams fought having their home game against the Packers being an international game, since it was often a game with a higher attendance.  Several years ago, there was talk of the Packers playing a game against the Jaguars in London and it was reported that the Jags protested vociferously about losing this particular game, since they could count on selling thousands more tickets than usual for their home game against the Packers.  A lot of snowbirds in Florida, and it's often easier for Packer fans to get a ticket for a road game than for a game at Lambeau.   

4 hours ago, roamyn said:

May he burn in Hell.  

Wonder if Belcher greeted him there.

On 4/10/2024 at 1:18 PM, Irlandesa said:

Cleveland was probably more willing to go so they thought it'd be them but the league wanted GB because of how popular they are there

I do feel for Calvada & the situation of not getting the Packers game on that Friday despite being pretty close.  While I subscribe to Peacock & Paramount, it is still vexatious that the trend of people having to sign up for every since app for NFL viewing is the side.  When it ends up on an app I don't have, that would be unfortunate.  However, am at peace toward the decision to purchase it or not watch it.

Furthermore, if my team is featured, then my network will air it.  So that's good.  A boycott of the NFL does me no good.  If I skip a game, it's due to the long term need for a streaming service coupled with the endgame of a decision of whether it's worth it.  I'm one fan; for every fan that's "done with the NFL" the league will find (at least) 5 more to replace it.  Nonetheless, and IMO, it's not a shocker that Green Bay gets that benefit.  The league is going to do that for them as well as with the Cowboys & the Steelers.  Those are the top notch programs, something that might not change in a while, if ever

In other NFL criminal news, Rasheed Rice has been charged with eight felonies.  Interestingly, none of them are leaving the scene of an accident with injuries, which is also a felony.  My guess is that will be added later.

At this rate, Kansas City could end up breaking New England's records, and yet the total will still trail the total number of criminals the Chiefs have employed dating back to 2012

• Like 1
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

I wonder if he saw the love and publicity Flacco got this season, and figured he could prove himself at 46?  He probably also misses the attention.

Re the sentence I bolded - ding! ding! ding!  We may have a winner.  

• Like 3
23 hours ago, roamyn said:

May he burn in Hell.  

Roamyn: I have to admit that when I read this, I was saddened.  Yeah, I was upset to see your reaction.

The site of encountering Norm Macdonald would have been worth the price of admission.  OJ stating his case would have been interesting, complete with Norm's take of, "I'm sorry; I didn't know you were sick!"

On 4/11/2024 at 10:45 AM, Calvada said:

The Packers have played in only one international game, in London in 2022.  Knowing the economic impact home games have on the Green Bay area, the NFL has never taken a home game from the Packers (although that could change in future years with the additional home game) and a lot of teams fought having their home game against the Packers being an international game, since it was often a game with a higher attendance. 

The London game was a Packers home game that they lost.  This will be the first season since the expansion that GB will have 9 home games.

On 4/12/2024 at 11:29 AM, Carey said:

Roamyn: I have to admit that when I read this, I was saddened.  Yeah, I was upset to see your reaction.

The site of encountering Norm Macdonald would have been worth the price of admission.  OJ stating his case would have been interesting, complete with Norm's take of, "I'm sorry; I didn't know you were sick!"

LOL. I'll give you that.  Nicole & Ron turning him away from the gates of Heaven, while Norm cacklea behind them would absolutely give a smile.

But then  he can go straight to Hell, do not pass Go.

• Like 2

It occurred to me, which watching Travis Kelce slam a beer at his graduation, that I never put him into the Gronk Meathead genre.  But he actually should have been there the whole time, huh.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
On 4/12/2024 at 10:20 PM, Irlandesa said:

The London game was a Packers home game that they lost.  This will be the first season since the expansion that GB will have 9 home games.

I knew I should have checked that before I posted - I was thinking that the extra game was added for the first time last year and I knew that the Packers had 8 homes games in 2022.  I was right about the NFL not taking a home game from the Packers until there was the extra home game, I just didn't realize it had already happened! 

I never trusted those assurances from the league that they wouldn't take a home game from the Pack until I saw each season's schedule.  I don't trust anything the league says, especially when they say they have a team's or players' best interests in mind.  

I had a friend ask me this week what position I thought the Packers would target in the first round.  I told him it didn't matter because for every James Lofton or Aaron Rodgers in my lifetime, there have been about 15 Terrell Buckleys or Jamal Reynolds.  I always assume the Packers' first round pick will be a bust.  I still have PTSD from when they picked Mandarich instead of Barry Sanders and that was 35 years ago!   

I wondered the other day if Eminem was going to be part of the draft, and cue a relatively cute and harmless commercial with Roger and Marshall.

Marshall, besides not having the college requirement to enter the NFL, there is also the small matter of your age.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Snerk

Reminds me of Aaron Rodgers talking about how BS that has nothing to do with winning needs to get out of the building.  Yup, it sure does.  I'm sure Jets fans are thrilled that he'll be concentrating on nothing but football and definitely not spouting off bizarre conspiracy theories.

• LOL 5
On 4/16/2024 at 1:13 PM, mojoween said:

watching Travis Kelce slam a beer at his graduation

*sigh*

I know my guy is disliked here, but that video isn’t a real graduation ceremony.

per Jason Kelce, in his response on X to the controversy:

“I know it looks like a graduation from the video, but this was actually at the end of a New Heights Live podcast that we put on to raise money for the University’s NIL…The university did this to poke fun at my brother and I for never really picking up our diplomas.”

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
54 minutes ago, voiceover said:

*sigh*

I know my guy is disliked here, but that video isn’t a real graduation ceremony.

“I know it looks like a graduation from the video, but this was actually at the end of a New Heights Live podcast that we put on to raise money for the University’s NIL…The university did this to poke fun at my brother and I for never really picking up our diplomas.”

That would make sense.  In addition to the reasoning here, even though the school years are starting much, much earlier than in the past, that would've been a rather early commencement date

• Like 1
9 hours ago, voiceover said:

*sigh*

I like Travis!  But I also think he’s a meathead.

Travis is the best "heel" the in the NFL.  Sort of a villain, the bad guy on television, but (AFAIK) is a decent human being in real life.  No nonsense about him.  The problem is people are not good in terms of their opinions about their professional players.  They focus too much on what they see and that's enough for them to rate them according to them.

For instance, thinking Kelce is not as good of a person as Hines Ward.

I can take it or leave it.  I get the "hate" while loving the "work ethic.  If he's a great guy off the field, his on field actions can be vexatious, while those can enjoy the passion.  I tend to ignore what I don't know that's not public and non-related to the sport.  If he's a good guy that is perfectly fine for me

• Like 2
On 4/13/2024 at 9:59 PM, roamyn said:
On 4/12/2024 at 11:29 AM, Carey said:

LOL. I'll give you that.  Nicole & Ron turning him away from the gates of Heaven, while Norm cacklea behind them would absolutely give a smile.

But then  he can go straight to Hell, do not pass Go.

To be fair with that scenario, I'd prefer a bluff here.  Where Nicole & Ron say forgive & forget, but only for Norm to say, not so fast.  Then after OJ begs for mercy & forgiveness, Norm states that he is showing mercy & forgiveness.  "You get to hang out & drink with Ohlmeyer!"  Then Norm releases a trap door, causing OJ to fall through it as Nicole & Ron stand there and laugh.

Despite the climate from a couple weeks ago, as mentioned, OJ's career still happened.  Great player in both college & the NFL, from start to finish.  Then he parlayed that with a decent broadcasting career & acting career.  Imagine if he'd gone next level with that as opposed to whatever happened 30 years ago.  Anyway, that was on him.  BTW, I don't think I could've rolled my eyes at ESPN anymore, mainly due to that slow fade to black for Simpson.  Spare me from the, "We're a sports network.  It's our job to focus on the on field stuff, before the other stuff."  Which is true, but that hasn't stopped them from the opposite over the past decade.

Two weeks later...OJ Simpson. STILL DEAD at 76.

Anyway, rather than talk about dead Heisman winning first picks from USC, I'd rather discuss living, active Heisman winning first picks from USC.  Caleb Williams is going to be a Chicago Bear.  The latter made no secret of it, and before any Elway/Eli situations could take place, Caleb squashed those.  I don't know what to expect from Chicago, but good on Williams for telling the Bears to come get me.  I'm ready.  Not that he had a choice but good on him for that.  At least try to do your best.  Plus, Chicago wasn't even the worst team in the league last year.  That can be forgotten, but thanks to a franchise down South, that was actually the worst of the worst, good things may be coming for the NFC North franchise.

If it doesn't work out but Caleb can stay healthy, then maybe he'll shine somewhere else.  If trends continue, he'll do that in Pittsburgh, except not if the Steelers opt to stay lazy and have the same HC & philosophy they've had since 2007.

It isn't great that Caleb Williams pretty much is included in an Internet page with OJ Simpson and Carson Palmer but it's up to him to change the narrative

2 hours ago, Carey said:

I'd rather discuss living, active Heisman winning first picks from USC.  

Speaking of, Reggie Bush is getting his Heisman back!  👏👏  can't wait to see him in the Heisman House commercials.

2 hours ago, Carey said:

Caleb Williams is going to be a Chicago Bear. 

It ticks me off though, that he's getting the support never given to Justin Fields.  Honestly I hope Caleb is just Trevor 2.0 and Justin does well in Pissburgh.  

• Like 1

Sorry for the Carolina Panthers Kip.  However, it doesn't change the fact (at least IMO) that the once respected NFC South franchise is an NFL section, or the NFL section of Hell on Earth

2 hours ago, Carey said:

Sorry for the Carolina Panthers Kip.  However, it doesn't change the fact (at least IMO) that the once respected NFC South franchise is an NFL section, or the NFL section of Hell on Earth

Since when has the Carolina Panthers ever been a respected franchise, especially since Cam Newton was gone from there? And there is nothing respectable about the NFC South. At least, its not overhyped all the time like that wretched NFC East. 

As for the Draft tonight, (yay 😒) it doesn't matter who the Chicago Bears draft (1 & 9 in the 1st round) tonight. They're going to find a way to mess it up like they usually do & those 2 players have absolutely no chance to turn around that piss poor NFL Franchise. 

Speaking of piss poor NFL Franchise, sadly Jerry Jones had to open his big mouth this week about why his sucky team hasn't done anything in the offseason. Of course ESPN has to talk about it. 😒

JERRY JONES IS THE PROBLEM! 🗣️ First Take calls out his role in the Cowboys' decline

• Like 1

The Washington Commanders are retiring Darrell Green's #28.  I cannot believe this didn't happen already.  Great on and off the field during TWO DECADES with the team & beloved by the fans.  I know this is a franchise that only recently had more than one retired jersey number, there are only so many numbers, and thus only the greatest of the great should get this honor.  But c'mon, Darrell Green?  It would be like the Packers not retiring Bart Starr's #15.  

• Like 4

Well, the Draft is in less than an hour.  Ditto for the schedule release I think.  After adding 336 Hours to present time.

USC Heisman winner Caleb Williams is expected to be selected before anybody else.  After that, it's not super-certain, including the QB spot.  However, several people, including Lance Zierlein and Peter Schrager are tabbing the other Heisman winner over these past two years (LSU Jayden Daniels) to go to Washington as the second person (and second QB) selected.  

Should the possibility of Chicago actually turning into a 2024 Super Bowl contender play out, just a reminder that they had the rights for what would've been Carolina's pick if no move was made in the past.  Chicago wasn't great in 2023, but they were much better than Carolina, who they beat.

Not that I'm calling JJ from Michigan a bust, but I do not want to see him picked in the Top 5, especially not in the Top 3.  He does have a chance to prove the doubters wrong, but I think, as mentioned, a Minnesota landing spot is great.  Maye, Nix, and maybe Penix selected in advance would be great for the league.

FWIW, people saying tonight's NHL, NBA, and MBL action is more meaningful than the Draft is fair enough.  I respect the opinion, but no matter the cheat code level to agree with facts, I have no control over the ratings numbers for the NFL Draft being higher than whatever else is on television

I'm trying to find the comp toward tonight's first overall selection.  I'll do my best.

Caleb was selected Number One.  Roses are red, violets are blue, most grapes are purple, the sky is blue, the grass is green, corn is yellow, oranges are orange, coal is black, snow is white, my hair is gray, Christmas is December 25, Valentines Day is February 14, if Super Bowl 61 is delayed, St Patty's Day is March 17, Halloween is October 31st, July 4th is easy, Memorial Day is the last Monday in May, Labor Day is the first Monday in September, Turkey Day isn't always the last Thursday in November, but it is always a day everyone outside of Dallas can root against one team, and cookies are...just that damn good!