Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

There are people saying things like "Well then he should do a live interview to prove it."    Oh honey, the Q people won't believe that.   They will just call him a lizard person then.

Or a hologram.  There is a crazy woman that is FB friends with someone I know and I sometimes look at her FB.  A couple years ago she was 100% believing certain people were locked up in a prison and what we were seeing on TV was holograms of them. 

30 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Yes, I know that's why they are saying he died, why there is now a body double for him. (Apparently the NFL has these people on standby for every game for every player who has been vaccinated, just in case.  Perhaps in the basement of local pizza joints?)  I just didn't want to give them a name!  Well, other than complete fucking morons.  

This is why they have teams constantly raising ticket prices.  They gotta pay for these doubles somehow.  I am kidding of course but there are people that would read that and be like well yeah now it all makes sense. 

And they deal with constantly changing rosters, with players going on IR, players being released, practice squad guys moving up to the active roster, street FAs signed, etc.  No wonder the national unemployment rate is falling - the NFL must be hiring thousands to run this program for them. 

I think the Bengals and Eagles will win this weekend.  However, at this point, I usually root for former Wisconsin Badgers and there are 2 on the Chiefs' roster, LB Leo Chenal plus RB Melvin Gordon on the practice squad.  Therefore, if my pick is wrong and the Chiefs win, I'll be happy for Leo and Melvin.  The Eagles have LB T.J. Edwards and there are no Badgers on the 49ers roster, so no issues for me with that pick.  I'm hoping for competitive games. 

28 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I'm hoping for competitive games. 

Me too.  I don't even like watching my team play in a game that is a blow out.  Well maybe if we are winning.

I think the Bengals Chiefs game will be close.  Maybe even go into OT with Cincy winning.  Philly SF game I think will be low scoring.  I think Philly might pull it out but I'm rooting for SF.  

11 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Me too.  I don't even like watching my team play in a game that is a blow out.  Well maybe if we are winning.

I think the Bengals Chiefs game will be close.  Maybe even go into OT with Cincy winning.  Philly SF game I think will be low scoring.  I think Philly might pull it out but I'm rooting for SF.  

I'm pretty much with you and Calvada on the Bengals winning (but not on the Eagles winning).  Of course, I sorta picked them on Sunday with a full week to go prior to the actual game.  I could've waited (I did a similar thing post Bills/Chiefs picking so damn early for a game 3 months in advance that ended up not being played at all); there wasn't really a need to based on who I'd pick to win.  However, the eventual AFC champion could go either way.  It might not be a slam dunk for Cincinnati as I previously thought.

I'd go for San Francisco outright.  I'm definitely picking the Niners & the points.  The reason why is basically similar to how the Giants big win over Minnesota was a tad bit overrated.  The Vikings lack a defense.  New York was totally outmatched & outclassed by Philadelphia, so I don't know for sure if the NFC East Champion is any good.  Save for the QB, the 49ers are deep.  So are the Eagles, but Shanahan does have that experience, and can adjust / take care of an error when a second chance comes up

Edited by Carey

IMO, it's a four way version of rock-paper-scissors with whatever the Super Bowl ends up being.  I think the Chiefs would beat the Niners, who I think would beat the Bengals, who I think would beat the Eagles, who I think would beat the Chiefs.

In terms of my matchup of San Francisco & Cincinnati, IMO, Cincy does not want to see the 49ers.  Well, the team probably doesn't care, but there are several Cincy fans that would rather not face the NFC West champs.  Not completely due to history, but Philly is a more favorable matchup

5 minutes ago, Mean Machine said:

Why are the Eagles not at least a three-point favorite against San Francisco? What is with that half point that the Niners are getting?  Keep disrespecting Philadelphia.

I think it has less to do with a lack of respect toward Philly and more to do with Vegas wanting a winner for the game in terms of a bet

3 hours ago, Carey said:

I think it has less to do with a lack of respect toward Philly and more to do with Vegas wanting a winner for the game in terms of a bet

There are a lot of reasons to like the Niners. Their 173 point differential 450-277 was best in the NFL. (Eagles were +133, 477-344.) They're on a 10 game winning streak. They were 13-4, only a game behind the the Eagles 14-3. They have an excellent defense and playmakers at all levels on offense. If you're betting, those are all good things.

On the other hand, the Eagles were easily the best team in the NFC before their QB got hurt. Had he not been injured, they probably would have been 15-2 or 16-1.  And that 16-1 team is the one taking the field on Sunday. They have excellent offensive and defensive lines, which allows them to dominate games in the trenches. The Niners were only 5-3 on the road this season, and this is not an easy trip to make.

It wouldn't surprise me if Philadelphia takes care of business in this game with a comfortable victory. It would surprise me if the opposite happened.

Blech with what the Panthers did to Steve Wilks. Guy led the team to a 6-6 record while trading away their best player, and he got passed over for the HC position. The players even vouched for him. So disappointing, but not surprising.

• Like 8

The reason I picked the Eagles is because I'm wary of a rookie QB going against the Philly defense, especially on the road.  This game will feature 2 excellent defenses; I have more confidence about the Eagles offense. 

On 1/26/2023 at 10:45 PM, Calvada said:

Never underestimate the ability for some people to be complete fucking morons. 

Thank you, Calvada, for my new email signature. (I work at a vet clinic. I see complete fucking morons Every. Single. Day.)

• LOL 3

It wasn’t until I did jury duty did I realize how many idiots are around us. I’ve been in my own bubble prior so most of the people around me have had some sort of intelligence, but that experience definitely opened to my eyes to how looney some people are. 

• Like 1
On 1/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, twoods said:

Blech with what the Panthers did to Steve Wilks. Guy led the team to a 6-6 record while trading away their best player, and he got passed over for the HC position. The players even vouched for him. So disappointing, but not surprising.

I like Wilks, but the owner was pretty clear about wanting a coach from the offensive side of the ball. All you have to do is look at who interviewed.

It's a bad look, but it's not surprising.

• Like 2

Furthermore, he had enough time to win an awful division.  Does he get the job with an NFC South title (and a playoff win).  I can't say yes since he's a defensive guy; while it would've been great if Steve got the job, he didn't do enough to earn it

When it comes to sports betting, many people are under the misconception that the oddsmakers are trying to predict the result of a game.  They are not.  The spread they post is a number that is intended to get equal betting action on both sides. With equal action they ensure a tidy profit no matter who wins.  As for Phil-SF, they are not disrespecting Philadelphia with a spread that low, they are enticing the fickle betting public in an attempt to balance the action.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
14 hours ago, Carey said:

Furthermore, he had enough time to win an awful division.  Does he get the job with an NFC South title (and a playoff win).  I can't say yes since he's a defensive guy; while it would've been great if Steve got the job, he didn't do enough to earn it

So did Jeff Saturday.   Jeff Saturday took a sucky team and kept them at suck.   Yet he is still being considered seriously for the HC job.   

Wilks didn't lead the Panthers to the Super Bowl, so clearly he is not cut out to be HC.   Even if the owner wanted an offensive side coach he could have looked at what happened and said "hmm, maybe, this is what we need, a coach the team can get behind and work hard for."   

What COULD be the difference here?    Black interims are held to a higher standard to be considered for permanent roles.   

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

So did Jeff Saturday.   Jeff Saturday took a sucky team and kept them at suck.   Yet he is still being considered seriously for the HC job.   

Wilks didn't lead the Panthers to the Super Bowl, so clearly he is not cut out to be HC.   Even if the owner wanted an offensive side coach he could have looked at what happened and said "hmm, maybe, this is what we need, a coach the team can get behind and work hard for."   

What COULD be the difference here?    Black interims are held to a higher standard to be considered for permanent roles.   

Different franchises = different standards.

To be fair, it is an issue when it comes to African-American folks as it relates to HC spots.  Not just for obtaining them; but for keeping the spots.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, Kansas City, IMO, made an in the moment hire when they booted Todd Haley with about 3 games to go for a defensive guy in Romeo.  They game Green Bay their only loss at the beginning of the past decade (before New York gave them an even bigger one after the regular season).  That led to 2-14, and then the current Andy Reid Era.

To be fair to Indianapolis, they had Dungy and Caldwell for some time, though the latter got hosed for sure in favor of...a defensive guy.  So the "going with the offensive guy" is a rather hollow reason.  Jeff Saturday getting consideration despite different teams (Carolina) is dumb.

Wilks didn't lead Carolina to a Super Bowl, but the argument isn't that great either.  I think a better run and the postseason would've been better.  On t he other hand, David Tepper should've stuck with Rhule until the end before booting him or promoted an offensive guy.  Finally, Vegas had a guy do well enough to get the job, but despite the playoffs, they too went with offense, giving McDaniels a second chance

And gee the "offensive" guy the Panthers went with is the guy who was fired mid=season by the Colts for failing.   Oh that was JUST THIS SEASON, not a couple years ago so maybe he's grown and changed.  Yet somehow he is considered BETTER than Wilks?

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

And gee the "offensive" guy the Panthers went with is the guy who was fired mid=season by the Colts for failing.   Oh that was JUST THIS SEASON, not a couple years ago so maybe he's grown and changed.  Yet somehow he is considered BETTER than Wilks?

I don't know if he's better than Wilks, but I'd bet that he is.  Yes he hasn't been given a chance, a decent chance.  Especially in Arizona.  Still, the guy won only 3 games with Rosen.  In the same season, Reich did well; he got the the playoffs & won a playoff game on the road.  In fact, Frank managed to reach the postseason in 2 of his first 3 years.

While I may not be on board with Wilks being better than Frank Reich, I think that there are better options than Reich (offensively).  The Colts organization is more than a joke right now, but Frank had a chance to clinch another playoff spot against a garbage program like the 2021 Jaguars, but they blew it.

I guess it's wait & see, but David Tepper is on track of becoming a bad head of a franchise

It's Championship Sunday!  Alright!  Here's the final spread (still subject to change for whatever reason & during the game of course):

San Francisco/Philadelphia
Eagles by 2.5
Over/Under 45.5
Niners and the Under

Cincinnati/Kansas City
Chiefs by 1.5
Over/Under 48.5
Bengals and the Under

Unlike the second game, the NFC Title Game can go either way.  I can see either team winning.  I'm loving how so many people are picking Philly for the win.  I totally love how most people go one way at the very least.  Keep it up!

The spread stayed the same throughout the week from the opening line until gametime (Eagles -2.5).  On one hand, the 49ers haven't faced this type of elite competition. On the other hand, neither has Philly.  Well, they have in Dallas.  However, they split with the Cowboys (including a win against a backup QB).  Feels like it'll be a battle where Purdy might be irrelevant but to a point where it doesn't matter.  If Hurts is a non-factor, that's a problem, and a bigger issue is how Lane Johnson holds up.  I agree with JTMacc99 in terms of the nature of one outcome.  I don't see a Niners blowout win (though I would've believed in one had the game taken place at Levi's Stadium)

Well, the petty version of yours truly picked this game so fast that I really can't change it.  IOW, I picked the Bengals for the win outright (in a harsh way) one week before the actual game.  I don't think I do that had Mahomes not gotten hurt, but to be honest, I probably would've picked Cincy anyway.  I just would've done it closer to gametime.  The spread moved a ton; Cincinnati ended up being favored by 1.5 early to mid week, and now it's back to the late Sunday mark.  KC probably needs to go deep into whatever (like New England did against Baltimore 8 years ago) especially in the second half.  If there a bluff, then KC should be okay, but as mentioned before, I'm not going to pick against Cincinnati until the 2019 Champs beat them.  It does help that they're one of 2 teams without a conference title loss with at least one appearance.  By the way, I'm going with the under in this game as well.  Championship points are not easy to obtain unless your (road) opponent is unworthy of being there.

Feels like a 24-20 Niners winning score and a 23-21 winning score for Cincinnati.

I'm getting 2012-2013 vibes here.  Even though the Bengals made it to the Super Bowl, it feels like a decade ago where Baltimore and San Francisco feel short, but they both improved a year later.  The Niners, like in 2012, are on the road again, so I can see them escaping with a victory.  Even though I feel like SF is a bad matchup for Cincy, they can probably win out.  They should be able to do enough to win the Super Bowl.  I think they definitely will if they beat KC again after Philadelphia wins their 4th NFC title

7 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Do you suppose this will quiet the conspiracy theorists, or do morons just need to moron?

One a moron, always a moron.  It should quiet it down, but I can't say I'd be shocked if there was a double down here

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, Carey said:

Especially in Arizona.  Still, the guy won only 3 games with Rosen.

Management realized that they screwed up drafting Rosen and decided to replace Wilks with  a guy who not only had a losing record at his alma mater, but wans't even head a college head coach at the time he was hired.

Finding a coach is hard, and at the time, a solid case can be made for most candidates. (Except Urban Meyer, great coach, but who didn't know that was going to be a clown show.? And Klingler. And Saturday. . .       )

But the numbers clearly show that Black coaches get screwed by management and ownership.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:
7 minutes ago, Popples said:

So whoever wins the AFC is winning the Super Bowl because the Eagles are looking a bit fraudulent. 

SF scored so at least now it's a game.  

It's anything but a slam dunk for the AFC winner.  Cincinnati does not want to have anything to do with San Francisco.  Especially a team that would've beaten Philly in Philly.  And if Mahomes survives not 100%, Philly would have a field day a la 2020 Bucs

Edited by Carey
Edited for tags
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Reich has a winning record as HC, and took the Colts to the playoffs twice. So yeah, he's considered better than Wilks. By pretty much everyone.

• Like 1

I've now seen the play that injured Purdy and it doesn't look that bad and he should be able to play should the Niners advance. However, as of this writing, Josh Johnson starting the Super Bowl is within the realm of possibility.

• Mind Blown 1
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Management realized that they screwed up drafting Rosen and decided to replace Wilks with  a guy who not only had a losing record at his alma mater, but wans't even head a college head coach at the time he was hired.

Finding a coach is hard, and at the time, a solid case can be made for most candidates. (Except Urban Meyer, great coach, but who didn't know that was going to be a clown show.? And Klingler. And Saturday. . .       )

But the numbers clearly show that Black coaches get screwed by management and ownership.

How many Black coaches were hired after Brian Flores filed his lawsuit? I don't many coaches who win after the owner trades their best player.

Niners defense is as advertised, and yet the Eagles can move the ball on them. If San Francisco can figure out a new plan to get the ball to their playmakers with their 5th string QB, this should stay close to the end. 

We'll see.  I disagree with that 3 and out stuff.  The Eagles must take advantage on this drive.  Otherwise, they may become victim to an awful beat since QB isn't San Francisco's strength