Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Well finally some actual football is played, albeit preseason, so something else can be discussed about the NFL. But what happens?

Tim Tebow plays again. Mediocre against 3rd stringers. But he runs for a TD, and now we are stuck I think hearing 12 hours of TIm Tebow talk tomorrow.

I would rather here more about Deflategate than day after day after day again about Tim Tebow.

I hate to even go there, but since its inevitable.......his throwing motion doesn't look much better. Still a big wind up and slow throw. Its a little better, but not much

• Love 5

According to several media reports Geno Smith wasn't actually sucker punched. He was involved in some sort of verbal altercation over $600.00 so it's not like homeboy just ran up out of the blue and broke his jaw. Of course now, the spotlight is being put on other QB's around the league and "my" very own Cam Newton was involved in an altercation with teammate Norman at camp this week over a interception at training camp.

And in "late to the game" news http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/13314040/colin-cowherd-no-longer-espn-air-comments-dominican-republic-players

I actually grew to like Colin and hadn't tuned into ESPN radio most of the summer until recently wanting to listen to some coverage following the hall of fame game and was taken aback to hear two other sports casters on the radio instead of Colin. I really didn't care for the new team they have on in his place.

Also, Halycon, are you heading up the football pool again this year?!

I am not a huge Cowherd fan, but ESPN is gutting its on air talent pool and it sucks now.

He was leaving ESPN anyway. DIsney, ESPN parent company, is looking to cut costs and they are doing it partly by dropping guys with big contracts.

Outside Mike and Mike in the moring, I don't care much for the ESPN guys anymore. Lebatard and Stugotz are awful, in particular.

• Love 2

According to several media reports Geno Smith wasn't actually sucker punched. He was involved in some sort of verbal altercation over $600.00 so it's not like homeboy just ran up out of the blue and broke his jaw. Of course now, the spotlight is being put on other QB's around the league and "my" very own Cam Newton was involved in an altercation with teammate Norman at camp this week over a interception at training camp.

Yes, apparently Geno Smith owed the guy $600 for a plane ticket that was purchased to fly Smith out to the player's youth football camp. Geno didn't show up for "family reasons," so I don't blame the guy for being pissed off--and hurt. Geno's appearance was probably one of the big selling points for the camp, and his teammate stood him up, which I'm sure disappointed a lot of kids. But did that warrant a punch that broke the man's jaw? Great example for the at-risk kids you're trying to mentor!!

Outside Mike and Mike in the moring, I don't care much for the ESPN guys anymore. Lebatard and Stugotz are awful, in particular.

I still like Wilbon and Kornheiser. In fact, PTI is the only ESPN show I still watch on a regular basis. That, and the baseball highlights on SportsCenter.

I don't know what to make of the Geno Smith thing because, apparently, the reason he backed out was due to the death of a friend.  If true, then I think that's reason enough not to appear.  And I would think that the other player would understand that and $600 isn't much money for a pro player to be out of.  However, I would be curious to know what the conversation was in the locker room that would prompt the other player to punch Smith. 

Well as long as no one tampered with any equipment, we don't have to worry about it. Grown men should be able to physically assault one another in the workplace. It's not like literally killing someone with your vehicle amounts to much.

• Love 5
Any post which infers the league office is doing a good job can be assumed to be sarcastic.

But my comments had nothing to do with the league office.  I was just wondering about cause of the fight.  

Ganesh was comparing the amount of attention paid to a manufactured issue like Deflategate to an actual physical assault.

Weirdly, every teammate who would go on record has said something to the effect that "Geno had it coming" and taking the puncher's side.  The politics of the lockerroom probably dictate that the presumed starting QB should have spotted the $600 to the borderline roster guy regardless of whether he had a legitimate excuse or not.

Ganesh was comparing the amount of attention paid to a manufactured issue like Deflategate to an actual physical assault.

Weirdly, every teammate who would go on record has said something to the effect that "Geno had it coming" and taking the puncher's side.  The politics of the lockerroom probably dictate that the presumed starting QB should have spotted the $600 to the borderline roster guy regardless of whether he had a legitimate excuse or not.

I don't get lockerroom logic. I also think Geno should have paid his teammate for the ticket, but these are grown men. Why does a disagreement end up in a punch being grown. Especially because these are men who rely on the health of their bodies to do their jobs.

Will this teammate be suspended? if not, then the NFL truly is a joke.

• Love 2

The guy that threw the punch was immediately cut from the Jets and then picked up by the Bills. 

Not only did Geno refuse to pay, but he also told him to his face '....there is nothing you can do about it' (in reference to him not paying).  I think Geno had it coming.  $600 is not a lot of money when you make $1 million plus a year, which is about what Geno's salary is right now. 

Maybe he figures the way he plays though he better save every penny for his shortly coming non-NFL future.

I don't get lockerroom logic. I also think Geno should have paid his teammate for the ticket, but these are grown men. Why does a disagreement end up in a punch being grown. Especially because these are men who rely on the health of their bodies to do their jobs.

Will this teammate be suspended? if not, then the NFL truly is a joke.

I thought I heard that he was kicked off the team right on the spot. The amount of violence in the NFL is absurd. It is just a game after all. I dislike it even more when I hear about it happening within my own "home" team during camp against their own team mates (re: Cam Newton). The fact that the Geno Smith thing escalated so far as to cause potential career ending results..... Well, I hope that $600.00 was worth it.

I thought I heard that he was kicked off the team right on the spot.

Yes, the Jets cut him even before the press conference announcing the incident.  Days later, former Jets head coach Rex Ryan picked him up for the Buffalo Bills.

I don't get lockerroom logic. I also think Geno should have paid his teammate for the ticket, but these are grown men. Why does a disagreement end up in a punch being grown.

Exactly.  Not paying, and being an ass about it (with the "nothing you can do about it" taunting) is a jerk move, but it doesn't warrant physical violence. 

• Love 2
Not only did Geno refuse to pay, but he also told him to his face '....there is nothing you can do about it' (in reference to him not paying).

Thanks, that's all I was wondering about, what prompted the punch.   I don't know if Geno Smith is an ass or not, but even if he said that, I still don't think it warranted a punch. 

Oh.

Edited by Ohwell

The fact that everyone in the locker room is supporting the puncher says more about the team dynamics than anything else.    One of the Giants players was asked what he would say if it were Eli Manning who got punched, he said "It would never happen."    The fact that the puncher felt it was okay to punch the starting QB -- and no one stopped the fight from escalating -- says exactly how the rest of the team feels about Geno.     

Well, as long as he got picked up by another team.

Yeah if you're not nice to everyone all the time you can be threatened with a taser by a cop and dragged out of your car for having a bad day any not wanting to put out your cigarette either, but it wouldn't have happened if they just shut their mouth and did what they were told right?

I don't have a dog in the fight, but maybe Geno felt like he had to "man up" in front of everyone. Maybe he was just really angry because *his friend died*. Maybe talking privately about it outside of the locker room might have led to a better outcome. But he was being a jerk so it's ok to break his face. Oh well. He sure learned his lesson what with still having a job. 

It's just insane that there are 4 decent QBs for the Eagles. Barkley looked good, Sanchez is decent on a good day, Tebow is.... Well Tebow, and then there is Bradford once he gets healthy. My Bills can't find a decent starter, yet pick up someone who punched someone in the face. I will see what Ryan does to this team before I pass judgement.

...at a league sanctioned rookie seminar. Wearing his Hall of Fame jacket. Alongside Warren Sapp. Counseling obstruction of justice to new players. Hell of a job, guys. Hell of a job.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 2

CC apologized on his Twitter but I don't see how ESPN keeps him. I cannot wait for Mike and Mike tomorrow, I hope they are both back from vacay, they just can't ignore this.

I cannot believe CC actually said that. Out loud! To impressionable kids! And he believed every word he said!

CC apologized on his Twitter but I don't see how ESPN keeps him. I cannot wait for Mike and Mike tomorrow, I hope they are both back from vacay, they just can't ignore this.

I cannot believe CC actually said that. Out loud! To impressionable kids! And he believed every word he said!

And that the NFL had the full talk on their web site for a year as a "feelgood, ain't we so caring about our new players" gesture.  The only reason this came out was that retired after 1 year LB from the Niners Chris Borland alluded to it in an interview. He didn't name Carter, but someone found the video.

In the same article, Borland said he doesn't trust the NFL to not lie about a drug test to make him look bad.

The opening anecdote tells of the NFL’s bizarre request to drug test Borland long after he made it abundantly clear he had left he game behind. The league’s rationalization, the story goes onto explain, is that Borland could have faked his retirement so as to avoid a test that would turn up positive, then have a change of heart and return once he was clean.

Borland felt his reputation was on the line, so he submitted to the drug test. Then, he hired his own firm to do a separate test.

I don’t trust the NFL,” he said.

Seeing as the NFL outright lied about every aspect of Deflategate to gin up outrage, Borland is pretty smart about the pack of sleazy morons who run the league. I'm glad that their acting like an asshole to him has now backfired spectacularly.  The whole league office deserves to be marched out in handcuffs, ASAP.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 1

Greeny is off today but Golic is there and I could not be more disappointed in him. Instead of saying anything negative about what CC said, Golic's take was that someone else should have been giving advice at the symposium. If that's what he was going to offer, he should have just not said anything at all.

Greeny is off today but Golic is there and I could not be more disappointed in him. Instead of saying anything negative about what CC said, Golic's take was that someone else should have been giving advice at the symposium. If that's what he was going to offer, he should have just not said anything at all.

Golic did also say that people should do the right thing and not get into trouble in the first place, but nice sidestepping there. I didn't agree with his contention that rookies would listen to a guy who had it all but threw everything away...IMO, they can just as easily look at some top draft pick who blew it and think, "It can't happen to me."

I think all rookies should be required to watch the "Broke" episode of 30 for 30. There are some amazing truths in that documentary about making and losing money, hangers-on, gold-diggers, child support, and the brevity of the average NFL career. Many former and current players were very honest about mistakes they've made in the past and are still paying for.

• Love 5

I see most of it as whining, but this I totally agree with.

"And then it's like, you're sitting at home and there's breaking news and it says that Brian Hoyer is the quarterback of the Texans. I'm like, who cares? That's not breaking news. It's really not breaking news."

ETA, the Lion's Glover Quin apparently believes that God put out a contract on Jordy Nelson's knee.

"I hate that Jordy got hurt, but in my beliefs and the way that I believe, it was God had meant for Jordy to get hurt," Quin said. "So if he wouldn't have got hurt today, if he wouldn't have played in that game, if he wouldn't have practiced anymore and the next time he walked on the field would have been opening day, I feel like he would have got hurt opening day."

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

I think all rookies should be required to watch the "Broke" episode of 30 for 30. There are some amazing truths in that documentary about making and losing money, hangers-on, gold-diggers, child support, and the brevity of the average NFL career. Many former and current players were very honest about mistakes they've made in the past and are still paying for.

The NFL does extensive counseling to rookies about managing their money, and many other topics, at the rookie symposium.  If you know who Dave Ramsay is, personal finance counselor who preaches on living within your means, not living in debt, common sense things, he has talked before about how he has spoken to NFL rookies in the past.  Some just don't listen. 

As for Chris Borland, I don't believe any one of the players about their drug use denials or what they claim.  And I wouldn't put it past someone to retire and then unretire to get by a drug test. 

I would never defend everything Goodell does, he has made some stupid decisions, but I don't trust the league any more or less than some player trying potentially to get out of a failed drug test.  or the NFLPA whining about an ufair process that they never bothered to get changed in the last CBA because they are just as consumed with getting all they money they can and nothing else in the CBA process.  The NFLPA does little about any of these problems except act outraged at the NFL with every suspension and move they make that they don't like. 

And God doesn't care about the outcome of NFL games or any sporting event. 

• Love 1

And God doesn't care about the outcome of NFL games or any sporting event.

God is in the bathtub on Sundays.

If there is a God who cares about football games, how does he "choose" which players get torn ACLs, which ones win the Super Bowl, which ones get into a car accident and later die from a pulmonary embolism, which ones get cancer, which ones have children with cancer, and which ones have record-breaking seasons?

Sorry to bring the room down, and I know this is off-topic. But trying to figure it out makes me scratch my head.

Im shocked they and other shows on ESPN (First Take, His&Hers) even addressed this to begin with. I guess since CC was an athlete he's different, but normally when employees at ESPN get into hot water its like a big elephant in the room and everyone is mum about it.

I havent seen the video, and really dont care to. Was it inappropriate for CC to tell a room full of rookies that they should have a "fall guy" in their crew. Sure it was, but I find the NFL's clutched pearls stance more than just a bit hypocritical. For one, they are the ones who had this video posted for like over a year and it wasnt until someone else mentioned what CC said did they take it down. So it seems to me like they really didnt have THAT much of an issue with what he said. Not to mention, I think it was Mike or Jemele who said teams themselves have people in place (often law enforcement personnel) who's only job is to make certain situations go away. Of all the stories we hear about with these players im sure there's twice as much that we DON't hear about.

Im shocked they and other shows on ESPN (First Take, His&Hers) even addressed this to begin with. I guess since CC was an athlete he's different, but normally when employees at ESPN get into hot water its like a big elephant in the room and everyone is mum about it.

I havent seen the video, and really dont care to. Was it inappropriate for CC to tell a room full of rookies that they should have a "fall guy" in their crew. Sure it was, but I find the NFL's clutched pearls stance more than just a bit hypocritical. For one, they are the ones who had this video posted for like over a year and it wasnt until someone else mentioned what CC said did they take it down. So it seems to me like they really didnt have THAT much of an issue with what he said. Not to mention, I think it was Mike or Jemele who said teams themselves have people in place (often law enforcement personnel) who's only job is to make certain situations go away. Of all the stories we hear about with these players im sure there's twice as much that we DON't hear about.

I doubt the NFL knew what CC said in the video or ever reviewed it.  They should have, but I doubt they even knew it was on there. 

I just can't put more of the blame on the NFL for having a video of it up than on CC for saying it.  Thats just deflecting from the real story.  And I tire of that pattern from reporters basically defending players or fellow reporters/commentators. 

I find what Chris Carter such MUCH worse than what Schilling said about Muslims and Nazis. 

Edited by DrSpaceman

I doubt the NFL knew what CC said in the video or ever reviewed it.

There was an NFL PR person right there when he said it.   She immediately looked at Robert Klemko who was writing a piece for SI about the Rookie Symposium and said "that's off the record."   The NFL was more likely than not generally aware such a thing had been said.    Yet did nothing for a year until faced with a blow up over it.    Just like the Ray Rice 2 game suspension, until the video came out.   No comprehension of how things really look until it blows up in their faces.  Too insidery and so they lack perception.

• Love 1

If there is a God who cares about football games, how does he "choose" which players get torn ACLs, which ones win the Super Bowl, which ones get into a car accident and later die from a pulmonary embolism, which ones get cancer, which ones have children with cancer, and which ones have record-breaking seasons?

Sorry to bring the room down, and I know this is off-topic. But trying to figure it out makes me scratch my head.

*Shrug* You'll have to ask God. If you believe in God, that is. And that's kind of my point. We cannot definitively say what God cares about or doesn't, because well, we're not God. UNLESS YOU ARE. 

ETA--yeah, this is getting really off topic, so. uh. Goodell sucks. 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 3

Green Bay better hope Cobb is healthy for week one and not out long.  Rodgers is great, but even the best QBs can't survive losing one WR after another. 

And after the chaos of the offseason, Philly looks pretty good so far in the preseason.  I had my doubts about Bradford but he is playing like a top QB

And Eli is still bad.  That huge contract he wants is not happening if he can't play like even a mediocre QB. 

RGIII appears to be done in Washington.  Will be interesting to see what happens with him

As a 'Skins fan who likes RGIII, I really do think it would be best if he goes to another team.  We're tired of the drama.  His biggest off-field problem is that he loves to hear himself talk.  Hopefully, he's learned his lesson and will STFU unless absolutely necessary to give interviews.   

The NFL network showed a replay of the Colts Rams game yesterday.  Only way I could see the Colts game

What do they cut to make the game fit into the 3 hour time frame?  The two minute scoring drive at the end of the half by the Colts. 

WTF?  Out of ALL the drives from a preseason game you could possible cut, you choose that one?  The one with the first string offense doing the two minute drill, the only chance that ever happens in preseason, the 3rd preseason game

• Love 1

You know what is sad? While I personally am disgusted by what the GM's wife said and can't believe that anyone would still want to be a Redskins fan after this, which is the topper on the cake of their dysfunction, there are people out there IRL who actually still think that women get stories this way and have no problem with what she said.