Type keyword(s) to search

Difficult People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm on season 1 episode 3. I know, I'm late. It's a good show to binge watch. It's like 30 Rock but meaner which works for me because I thought Alec Baldwin had a lot of the best lines on that show. Also, Kevin Spacey... Charlie Rose... Either this show is prescient or they had dirt on people and weren't afraid to drop some hints. I'm also loving all the guests, Bridget Everett, Marc Shaiman, etc. Like Smash, these cameos are probably not a big deal to the majority of people but I'm guessing if you're watching this show, you know who these people are. I really like James Urbaniak too. I never watched Venture Bros but I listened to some of his weird podcast.

The Children's Menu sounds like a real NYC restaurant except it would be fancy takes on meatloaf and not just the kind of food you make at home. I almost wish it had taken off instead of being overrun by children. And... by the way... why would so many kids be eating dinner late at night? I'd get it if the kids had taken over the restaurant during lunch.

I love that Maya from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend played Cissy. Though 19 is old for a youtuber who hasn't been around for years or who doesn't have a boyfriend or a baby or something else pulling in the views. A lot of the beauty gurus have abandoned their channels.

I enjoyed Amy Sedaris.

Ana Gasteyer and the eyebrow story XD

Debbie Harry!?!

Really, though. I appreciated the whole thing on procrastination and the debate on whether to say yes to something that felt wrong. Of course, you could also argue that they were bailing once they finally had a legitimate opportunity but it was for Chris Hardwick so... God, I wish they would have gone in on him. I've never liked that guy and I tried so hard to be into the Nerdist. 

Lol. Seth Meyers as a "prostitute with more steps" and Kathie Lee Gifford as a mean internet commenter were very strange guest cameos. I think hers worked better than this but his was funnier in that it was so random.

"Everyone who does a cappella is a sick pervert." 

This was a little filler-y. I feel like this show isn't really plot-motivated but as much as it's about Billy and Julie trying to succeed it's a little frustrating to see them think of something and then fail by the end of the episode. What happened to Richard their Australian agent? 

Oh my God, Arthur's parents are Debra Monk and Byron Jennings. And their names are Ace/Reginald and Bunny. I love it.

Peak surge pricing!

I do find Julie's character funny but I think they definitely write Billy more sympathetically. They both do bad things but Billy feels worse about it. Julie only seems to feel bad when she gets her comeuppance. I can't imagine Julie having the same conflict between going to her show or making sure Tal got to do the dance recital.

Oh my God, is there a comedian's show that doesn't have a John Mulaney cameo? Cecil. "Much different with clothes." Dying. This 100% feels like a joke persona Mulaney made up. Why has no one cast this ridiculous man in a period piece yet?

I want a robot with James Urbaniak's voice except instead of checking twitter, I want it to go over my emails.

LOL at the Grace and Frankie/Fonda 5000 joke. And the tub of Vaseline.

So Tina Fey exists in this universe. Interesting...

Dying at the Pretty Woman montage.

OK, the end of the episode was annoying. They do this thing where they could actually talk themselves out of some of the situations they get into but don't bother to explain it and the show just moves on. 

2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I do find Julie's character funny but I think they definitely write Billy more sympathetically. They both do bad things but Billy feels worse about it. Julie only seems to feel bad when she gets her comeuppance. I can't imagine Julie having the same conflict between going to her show or making sure Tal got to do the dance recital.

Billy has a soul. Or at least, a healthy sense of guilt.

I'm sorry, but the new blonde trans character they added is the worst. I can't even tell but I think the actress is fine. The character is just so terrible. Why TV shows always think that they need to add a horrible person like there aren't enough horrible people so I need them in my escapist entertainment? 

I loved that the Italian thing ended up being a Rachel Dolezal joke. How did I not see that?

I feel Marilyn went from an OK therapist to a horrible therapist sometime around the price surging episode. Maybe they thought it would be funnier if she was more incompetent but it makes you wonder how she established a successful practice if she's always been like this.

I liked that Billy learned how to say "ee-nez" but Julie continued to refer to her as "eye-nes."

The article headings on Arthur's magazines were amazing. "3 Hot Redheads to Satisfy Your Fire Crotch Fantasy. Girls Wearing Nothing But 01 Concealer. All Grown Up and Practically Translucent."

The excuse-me off was priceless. 

Casting Jackie Hoffman really paid off this episode. She and Andrea Martin know how to do so much with so little.

1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

I'm sorry, but the new blonde trans character they added is the worst. I can't even tell but I think the actress is fine. The character is just so terrible.

I think that's the point. You don't have to walk on eggshells because someone is trans if they're an asshole. She'll grow on you.

RE: Patches

This feels like... not a real problem. I don't get why Julie is so against owning her relationship with Arthur. I know everyone doesn't want to get married but for the sake of putting something on a form? It's even lamer than her argument against moving uptown in that other episode. Her idea of who she is... is not who she is.

I love that they have recurring characters. The throwaway Rachel Dratch character who had cancer is back. This casting director's life is so sad.

I feel like Australians do an American accent pretty well but I love the idea of an Australian trying to do an American accent badly. I think Julie nailed it.

This was a solid episode because it wasn't just about Julie or Billy doing something bad but about how patronizing everyone was when they thought she was special needs. I mean Patches... balloons? 

LOL. OK, the new waitress character got me with the "12 cases of olive oil." I hope they stuck with giving her good lines instead of just weird 9/11 truther stuff. Maybe they figured out it wasn't funny.

I feel like Derrick Baskin is supremely underutilized on this show. He has such a cute smile. 

Wow. I really expected them to just talk around "celebs" like they usually do but they got Countess Luann and Sonja. Also, Rebecca Naomi Jones! And Lin-Manuel Miranda! Cause you know... priorities.

I really liked the Carter musical for what it was in the context of the show. They did a pretty good job with capturing the worst of Fringe shows while having something solid beneath the joke.

Derrick Baskin has been nominated for a Tony!

Best Leading Actor in a Musical
Brooks Ashmanskas, The Prom
Derrick Baskin, Ain't Too Proud
Alex Brightman, Beetlejuice
Damon Daunno, Oklahoma!
Santino Fontana, Tootsie