Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: The Distance

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Rick adjusted just fine to being Farmer Rick who wouldn't even take his gun out on runs and was not a member of the Council. That's when half the group started begging him to lead again.

That's a good point. But it seemed to me that the begging him to lead again was because they want and need him to lead, And I have no idea how the whole group will react when someone else becomes the supposd leader, someone they don't know and don't trust. I just think it could be interesting to explore how the group dynamics shift in that situation. And maybe Rick is tired of being in charge and would welcome giving up the role.

I thought this episode did a good job showing that while the group is understandably really cautious, there is also a shred of hope still in them. I think that's somewhat realistic. I mean, if they had no hope of anything ever getting better, why fight so hard to stay alive? They've encountered horrible things and had some really terrible experiences, and being on the road has proven extremely dangerous; they have no idea what to expect in Alexandria, and the last two communities they encountered sucked. So no matter what they do, they're in danger - do they take the chance that Alexandria is possibly being even anywhere close to what Aaron says it is, or do they stay on the road where they know things are going to remain crappy, at least for a while. Super tough choice.

• Love 3

I don't think that is it at all.  I would be just as annoyed (and actually HAVE been) if say Maggie and Glenn, in such a tense situation with people of unknown intent, paused to have an inappropriate for the moment romantic interlude.  The scene would have worked just fine if dude (can't remember his name) ran to his partner and hugged and kissed him and the partner assured him that he was fine and then they turned to deal with the problem at hand.  No hiding their sexuality or running from it.  Also didn't we get an actual sex scene of Tara and her girlfriend?

I don't believe so, but I will readily admit that having to watch the Governor have sex AGAIN may have made me forget things from that arc. They did kiss in the episode where they attacked the prison.

I would hardly call that scene a romantic interlude. I liked this interpretation of the scene also:

Oh man - I didn't see it like that during the conversation between Aaron and the boyfriend (forget his name). I took it as a way the show decided to show Rick (and the audience) that Aaron was not trying to deceive them and really wanted to help them. If he was setting up CDB, the conversation would have indicated something shady, like mentioning others that are around, or something that indicates to Rick that he should be wary of them. So by having the conversation be sweet and fluffy, it showed Rick and the audience that Aaron could be trusted. That's how I saw it.

In a show where I can remember seven different hetero pairings having on-screen sex, I see zero issue with this scene, or with any continued scenes of them displaying that they're a couple.

I see what others are saying about the writers possibly screwing up Richonne if they do go there, but I was still chomping at the bit for a hug while they were talking by the car. Episode before last, Rick touched Michonne's arm when they were in Noah's town, and in this episode she touched his hand in the car. I'm trying to think of instances when I see people touching Rick other than his children, or emotional reunion scenes, and I'm not coming up with too many. I think the writers must want us to be shipping this, haha.

Edited by aliceinwonderbra
  • Love 4

Just dropping in to note that Eugene was right. Yeah, he lied, but his instinct that DC would be the place to find organized survivors  has been borne out - Alexandria's right across the river. I'll bet a number of the survivors are people who were associated with the military/DOD what with NoVa being the heartland of the military industrial complex.

So by having the conversation be sweet and fluffy, it showed Rick and the audience that Aaron could be trusted. That's how I saw it.

That's how I saw it, too. The show's getting better at show, don't tell - you can tell they seem to be on the up and up by what they say to each other. They re relieved to both be alive and aren't plotting to eat anyone (It's a low bar, in the apocalypse).

Speaking of show, don't tell - the moment when there's movement in the woods, and everyone panics and pulls their weapons, but then relaxes when they discover it's just a reanimated corpse trying to eat them and not an actual person? Might be the most devastating scene in the whole history of the show. How bad have things gotten when you're like, "oh thank God it's just a flesh eating corpse?"

Michonne should be leader. She's smart, sane, and has turned decapitation into an exciting new art form. But I don't want her to get together with Rick. Rick is not boyfriend material right now. I believe Rick already had PTSD from getting shot when this whole thing started. That was before Joe and Terminus. Now? The man needs a vacation, at the very least.

• Love 9

I loved the episode, although Rick hitting him bugged me, this time. It was just a little much, and I think that is what has some giving him worrying glances - Glenn put a hand on Aaron's arm to stop him from passing Rick, then turned to talk to Rick and help him. 

I did wonder why the sounds of children suddenly stopped. Were they rushed inside somewhere, or was that a con? I hope they're for real, because I like Aaron and Eric (?). I do wonder how they got that far with no weapons. 

The driving through walkers was creepy - I was watching in the dark, and it spooked me, as did Rick finding that thing in the front, and Michonne's suddenly becoming suspicious. 

• Love 2

ETA - Father Pee Pants should have stepped out the shadows and said "dude, DO NOT open with a joke; this crowd does not do well with ZA humor"

I liked him not talking at all.There was one moment where Maggie and Michonne were arguing with Rick and I thought he was going to chime in too. As if anybody cared what his opinion was. But he stayed quiet all week! That probably means we're in for at least half an hour of him next time.

• Love 3

I don't think that is it at all.  I would be just as annoyed (and actually HAVE been) if say Maggie and Glenn, in such a tense situation with people of unknown intent, paused to have an inappropriate for the moment romantic interlude.  The scene would have worked just fine if dude (can't remember his name) ran to his partner and hugged and kissed him and the partner assured him that he was fine and then they turned to deal with the problem at hand.  No hiding their sexuality or running from it.  Also didn't we get an actual sex scene of Tara and her girlfriend? 

Except didn't we sit through almost an entire season of Maggie and Glenn trying to find their way back to each other? Didn't we see those two nearly get themselves and numerous others killed just because they couldn't think of anyone else? 

I thought the introduction of Aaron and Eric was nice because it reminded me of how many times someone in the group put everything on the line for the person they love be it Carol/Daryl (or Sophia or Lizzy and Mika), Rick/Lori/Carl or Maggie and Glenn. That reunion scene was a call back to every reunion scene we've had on this show except in this case we saw it from the outside. JMHO.

• Love 9

Loved the episode. Over the weekend I decided to rewatch the first couple of seasons and two things stuck out.  One, the walkers were extremely aggresive.  They actually ran and climbed over things.  One even moved Ricks gun out of its face when Rick was trying to shoot it.  Very strange to see that.  The second thing I noticed happended inside a bar where Rick and Glen found Hershel drinking.  There were 2 guys who walked in and told them that DC had been overun and taken over by walkers.  I wonder if that was true and the writers forgot???

• Love 6

That's a good point. But it seemed to me that the begging him to lead again was because they want and need him to lead, And I have no idea how the whole group will react when someone else becomes the supposd leader, someone they don't know and don't trust. I just think it could be interesting to explore how the group dynamics shift in that situation. And maybe Rick is tired of being in charge and would welcome giving up the role.

I thought this episode did a good job showing that while the group is understandably really cautious, there is also a shred of hope still in them. I think that's somewhat realistic. I mean, if they had no hope of anything ever getting better, why fight so hard to stay alive? They've encountered horrible things and had some really terrible experiences, and being on the road has proven extremely dangerous; they have no idea what to expect in Alexandria, and the last two communities they encountered sucked. So no matter what they do, they're in danger - do they take the chance that Alexandria is possibly being even anywhere close to what Aaron says it is, or do they stay on the road where they know things are going to remain crappy, at least for a while. Super tough choice.

FWIW I think Alexandria is worth checking out.  My problem is that there was this undercurrent of resentment against Rick as the shot-caller.  However calling the shots is only half the job, living with the consequences is the other WORSE half.  How would Glenn or Maggie or Daryl fare knowing that something they decided got somebody killed?  How would they feel taking on the full brunt of responsibility for Carl or Judith's welfare and that something could happen to those kids. Rick's mood is understandable and, IMO, unquestionable.  Not just Woodbury and Terminus, but Lori's death because he let Andrew go and Jo and the gang.  This is a man who literally ripped the juggular out another man with his teeth because Rick fights with all he's got left.  Michonne and Daryl witnessed this and should have DISCUSSED how they felt with Rick, not just turn on him.  This was a pivotal episode because I honestly do not trust these people anymore. 

In a show where I can remember seven different hetero pairings having on-screen sex, I see zero issue with this scene, or with any continued scenes of them displaying that they're a couple.

For the record, I don't have a problem with them displaying anything (hell I'm the one person who didn't complain about Abe and Rosita).  My problem was that the display didn't fit the moment and seemed wedged in simply to announce that they would now have a gay couple on cast.  Not WHAT they showed, WHEN they showed it.

Except didn't we sit through almost an entire season of Maggie and Glenn trying to find their way back to each other? Didn't we see those two nearly get themselves and numerous others killed just because they couldn't think of anyone else?

Yes I and I complained and gagged through the entirety of it.  I still side eye them because of it.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 6

nside a bar where Rick and Glen found Hershel drinking.  There were 2 guys who walked in and told them that DC had been overun and taken over by walkers.  I wonder if that was true and the writers forgot???

Rick killed the shit out of those two guys, if he or Glenn remember them at all it would be in relation to everything else that happened after that (the guy with the leg impaled on a post, Shane, the farm being over run)

• Love 1

I didn't mind the reunion of LL Bean and J Crew. The scene where he told Rick he would rather be shot than spend the night in the corner away from J Crew was finally when I stopped being suspicious. If they were not a couple, I would have thought "yep, once again HOT DANGEROUS Rick is right and the too live crew is about to walk into another ambush" The only time I liked Lori is when she told that bunch of ingrates (paraphrasing) "you look to him for all the answers then get mad when things go south" 

At this point in the story, the living is way more dangerous than the dead

• Love 6

Re: children playing in Woodbury.  I remember people milling about Main Street but I don't remember any children playing, and I feel like it wasn't that kind of place.  If I had kids and there was Martinez and his gang of  thugs at the end of the street, on top of the wall with rifles, my kids aren't frolicking in the front yard fifty feet from there.  While the place was secure there was a vibe there, this sort of atmosphere of martial law where you knew you didn't cross the governor or his enforcers.  I just feel like people would have kept their kids inside, and probably did.  That, to me, is the big difference between Woodbury and what Alexandria is being represented as.

Also, it's still really fascinating to me about shipping (and I've been the person shipping this couple or that on on other shows, so no commentary on anybody's views and not saying anything is wrong with anyone's shipping anyone here), that if you ship a couple even their arguments are charged with sexual tension, and if you don't you just see them disagreeing.  I didn't see anything in this episode that made me feel like Rick and Michonne are more hot for each other than ever, just the opposite.  It felt to me like even if there had at one time been those feelings, Michonne's starting to think Rick's a little too far gone, and he's realizing she really wants something different than he thought.  It's surprising to me that people got out of this episode, moreso than other episodes, how close they are. 

(Edited to remove about a dozen extraneous commas.)

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 9
Also, an organized community is scouting for other survivors and they send two people to spy on and collect a whole group?

Which makes me think that there aren't that many people in that so-called community.  I would think they would have sent scouts that looked strong and tough. Instead these guys look like they couldn't handle a weapon, let alone kill a walker.  

As to the sound of children playing, that could have been a set-up with a loudspeaker playing a tape.  I just don't see a huge group of people living in Alexandria.  Aaron and Erik were scouting for people to make a community, and Rick and family were the protection they need.

The reason I am suspect about the new community is that Aaron freaked out in the car, I think when he saw the flare go off.

He freaked out because he knew Erik was in trouble.

• Love 3

Which makes me think that there aren't that many people in that so-called community.  I would think they would have sent scouts that looked strong and tough. Instead these guys look like they couldn't handle a weapon, let alone kill a walker.  

I think it's a very friendly and peaceful community. But I think they need the muscle because they have a governor type situation. Nothing I know for sure just by "Rick-stinct" kicking in

• Love 1

Also, an organized community is scouting for other survivors and they send two people to spy on and collect a whole group?

Which makes me think that there aren't that many people in that so-called community.  I would think they would have sent scouts that looked strong and tough. Instead these guys look like they couldn't handle a weapon, let alone kill a walker.

Aaron clearly could handle a weapon, and did, saving Rick's and Michonne's lives with Glen. If you want to recruit people to join your community, which you want them to believe is peaceful and on the up and up, would you send someone that looks like Rick? Or Daryl? If I saw either of those two, I'd run for the hills. I think it's smart to send someone who looks less threatening but is actually able to take care of themselves. If it were our group recruiting people to join, I'd want to send Carol. She looks non threatening but she will seriously take you down if you mess with her. Also helps to not look like a giant bad ass, because if the scout is wrong, and this group would take advantage of weaker people, better the community find that out by losing one scout than by letting in a group of people who take them all out. It could very well be that they are a small group/don't have any real muscle as you speculated, I just think there might be an advantage to sending people that don't look super strong.

This has probably been mentioned by why did he even has applesauce if he doesn't like it?

He said he wanted people to know they had apple trees/could make applesauce. It was to show Rick's group.

Edited by aliceinwonderbra
  • Love 9

I'm willing to give the characters the benefit of a doubt and hope that, now that the showrunners have established "Gay Couple," they'll just be Aaron and Eric, just as Tara is just Tara.

We agree then, more gay folks, yay! Seriously, some people saw that scene as treacley, others didn't but overall it really seems like it's a positive development. In no way do I dislike those characters so far and I hope they get to be full-fledged characters but for all we know, they could be the new black guys of the series...

What bothered me was that the writers went yet again to the ankle for a "dangerous in the moment, yet not really serious" injury: Tara, Noah, now Eric. Which made me wonder for a second if Noah is queer. But then, hey presto, there's Noah bringing Aaron some painkillers, and expositing that his limp isn't from falling down the elevator shaft. Apparently he's been limping the entire time, from when the hospital cops ran him down & left his dad to die. (And I agree with the poster upthread who said just say no to elective surgery in the zombie apocalypse—especially when the surgeon's name is "just Pete.")

• Love 2

As Devil's advocate, though, if you have a limp that's making you the slowest gazelle in every herd, and it's putting you at constant risk of getting picked off, does it make sense to take the risk so that you have 6 weeks of being super vulnerable, then wind up strong enough to run away when needed after that?  I'll admit, those six weeks would be terrifying--what if this super safe community you're recuperating in gets overrun?  But it's about the reward, and what you  might be willing to risk for it.  Being able to run in this world is a pretty big reward.

• Love 4

As Devil's advocate, though, if you have a limp that's making you the slowest gazelle in every herd, and it's putting you at constant risk of getting picked off, does it make sense to take the risk so that you have 6 weeks of being super vulnerable, then wind up strong enough to run away when needed after that?  I'll admit, those six weeks would be terrifying--what if this super safe community you're recuperating in gets overrun?  But it's about the reward, and what you  might be willing to risk for it.  Being able to run in this world is a pretty big reward.

Noah outran Tyreese, so he's not the slowest gazelle in our herd. That'd be Eugene.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
here were 2 guys who walked in and told them that DC had been overun and taken over by walkers.  I wonder if that was true and the writers forgot???

IIRC, Dave and Tony were from Philly. So it's possible they went through DC itself to get to ATL. But I do remember them passing on a lot of rumors that they heard, so it might not necessarily have been true. I'm not an expert on the geography of the area, but how far out of DC is Alexandria? Is it possible that an overrun DC wouldn't affect them as badly? Just as the more rural parts outside of ATL weren't nearly as bad as the city itself?

Which makes me think that there aren't that many people in that so-called community.  I would think they would have sent scouts that looked strong and tough. Instead these guys look like they couldn't handle a weapon, let alone kill a walker. 

As to the sound of children playing, that could have been a set-up with a loudspeaker playing a tape.  I just don't see a huge group of people living in Alexandria.  Aaron and Erik were scouting for people to make a community, and Rick and family were the protection they need.

So glad I'm not the only one who had the tape recorder thought! I'm not as paranoid as I come across! LOL! No, seriously, while Alexandria may not be "bad", I am largely suspicious that it's not as big as he's making it out to be. The picture thing, for one. And yea - THOSE are the two you send out into the scary world to bring back a passel of people? And, it would make sense to be recruiting if you are a small group and just really don't have the manpower. 

But then I have to wonder, how did this community get built in the first place if there aren't a lot of them? You'd not only have to have the strength for building, but the numbers to be able to mutli-task construction with fending off walkers. So I'm wondering if maybe there wasn't a larger group and something happened to them....and now they need to re-build? 

And WHEN are we going to find out more about the Unfair Wolves???

• Love 4

I don't think I ever giggled as much during an episode of this show as I have while watching this. I don't know why, I just found myself giggling like a loon at almost everything; from Maggie casually strolling in with a "hey, guys, this is Aaron", like she was just introducing him to a bunch of friends goofing off together, to Carol rolling her eyes and looking completely done with everything, to everyone's non-reaction when Rick punched his lights out.

Even funnier: Rick crushing acorns to feed Judith, like she's a fucking baby squirrel, his sounding almost exactly like a five year old with his "this is ours now", and flare-walker. Flare-walker was awesome.

More seriously, I get why Rick was so paranoid; so far, the people who he's ecountered who HAVEN'T tried to kill them right away have only waited because they had even more sinister plans for them; even if Aaron and his people happened to be good people, at this point the best they can hope for is a group on the same level of good as CDB, and just because they're good people doesn't mean they won't kill you. But I also get why Michonne wanted to give it a try, and I'm eternally grateful and happy that, as fucking unhinged as Rick looks and acts like, Michonne isn't remotely cowed by him.

I think the loving reunion between Aaron and Eric served the purpose of letting us know that these are characters who love, and their camp is made of people who can, and do, love each other. The Governor's ability to love died with his daughter, the merry band of rapists clearly couldn't care less about each other, Gareth and Mary didn't seem to give a shit about their brother/son being just killed, the people at the hospital hated, resented and raped each other.

Up until now, CDB was the only group that we saw sticking together out of something more than convenience, or self-preservation, or just proximity. Aaron and Eric love each other; that doesn't necessarily make them good people, but it does mean something, in a world where indifference or outright hate and fear have become the easiest way to interact with people.

I think Woodbury is kinda getting a bad rap, though; I get that it's shorthand for "the Governor and the whole bag of crazy that ensued", but most of the people in Woodbury were normal, decent people, no better nor worse than our "heroes". They had parties! And porches! And nice little soirées where people watched people beating walkers up...ok, maybe not wholly, completely normal, but who's Rick to judge.

Lastly (wow, I'm verbose...) kudos to Danai Gurira, who in my opinion is in the same category as Melissa McBride of people who I never find anything less than really good, more often than not great, who carried the episode with grace, elegance and warmth, and kudos to Andrew Lincoln, who has these moments of absolute greatness that can make me forget the moments in which I find him too squinty-growly. That last scene in the car was one of such moments. Brilliant.

Edited by Caelicola
  • Love 16

The tactics may change, but the reasons why a community would welcome more people is quite suspect. Extra people require water, food, clothing, shelter. Respecting humanity is one thing, but survival is another. Fact is, extra people are a burden and people are assholes/selfish/brutal. Again, trust no one. The reasons as to why Rick's group are so welcoming to Alexandria were never made clear....therefore...Rick and company should be quite wary.

But if you want to build up a community you need people too. And it seems  they have enough food to share. I think it makes perfect sense. You need guards, farmers, builders, hunters...

Oh man - I didn't see it like that during the conversation between Aaron and the boyfriend (forget his name). I took it as a way the show decided to show Rick (and the audience) that Aaron was not trying to deceive them and really wanted to help them. If he was setting up CDB, the conversation would have indicated something shady, like mentioning others that are around, or something that indicates to Rick that he should be wary of them. So by having the conversation be sweet and fluffy, it showed Rick and the audience that Aaron could be trusted. That's how I saw it.

Same with the previous scene when Glenn couldn't get the Cadillac to start up again. They see the flare gun, and Aaron's like "forget this, I gotta get out of here." I took it as he knew that his partner was in danger, and wanted to leave to help his boyfriend. When that part first went on, I took it as Aaron being shady, but once he was reunited with his boyfriend, that's when I thought back to the flare gun scene and realized he just wanted to help boyfriend.

Also, the White Caddy plowing through the Walkers, and being entirely red at the end of it, and Michonne pulling body parts from the grille and Glenn wiping off guts from the caddy- Damn, that was gross. Also, The flare gun in a walkers head? Awesome! (but again, gross)

I took  it that way too. The moment I saw Aaron and  Eric together I knew they weren't  evil or setting a trap for Rick and company.

I can't wait to know what's going on in Alexandria. I think  it's a real safe place, although that won't last now that Rick and the others are there. 

I'm so glad Michonne could talk some sense into Rick... Of course I get why he's so paranoid, but  the fact is they need a purpose or a place to stay. Wander around isn't a plan, it's just death waiting to happen, way worse than being a nomad back in  the Paleolithic. I think Michonne had the better approach. She didn't trust Aaron but she didn't reject his words either. She went to see with her own eyes if he was saying the truth. 

Loved when Carol said "even if you're wrong, you were right" to Rick.

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 7

And WHEN are we going to find out more about the Unfair Wolves?

Probably once Rick & Co. have acclimated to life in Alexandria and started to enjoy it, the Wolves will come in and trash the compound, maybe even kill off a few B or C list characters (Aaron's BF, or Tara, or Eugene, or Rosita, or whoever), then Rick & Co. can angst about how they never should have come, their paradise was ruined. Then they can plan their revenge with the episode ending with Rick looking at the camera all badass (or trying to) while saying something like "They messed with the wrong people".

Or something like that.

Or maybe Aaron's people are the Wolves and this is all one big hoodwink.

• Love 6

Upon re-watch I cannot stop laughing when Aaron said "the only way to stop me is to shoot me" and Glen held Rick back and looked at him like "you are daring the wrong motherf'cker son. he ain't the one"

• Love 11

I just thought it was a clumsy way to let us know Aaron was gay.

I agree.  It didn't seem natural to me.  I think the kiss went on too long, it all seemed too awkward and forced to me. I felt the same way about Maggie and Glenn (and at times I still do) when they hooked up. 

**BTW, I'm new...been a lurker for a long time and another poster finally convinced me to post  :)**

• Love 5
I'm not an expert on the geography of the area, but how far out of DC is Alexandria? Is it possible that an overrun DC wouldn't affect them as badly? Just as the more rural parts outside of ATL weren't nearly as bad as the city itself?

It's right across the bridge.  Think Brooklyn looking at Manhattan.  Alexandria and the immediate DMV suburbs are not at all rural and are cities unto themselves (mass transit, airports, culture).  DC sits in the middle of a larger metro area.

I want to defend Rick on the nut crushing.  Judith was on formula for as long as they had it.  Now, since she's probably getting teeth, he is giving her what food he can find.  My guess is that he's prechewing and then giving to her.  For me personally, there is no way I'd feed my baby food that some random stranger (who I had tied up) is offering.  Too many people in the ZA see a baby as a liability not to mention a bribe - like Rick said, the baby gets sick, the Father goes to the gates of hell to allow the sole doctor in ZA help her.   And finally, long before there were car seats and baby formula and sunscreen and all kinds of conveniences we have now (and even now in third world societies) babies got what they got and they survived.  Guess what, if she had a three course meal of dog tail, earthworm and acorn, she'd still survive and grow.  Babies are much stronger than they look.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 13

I want to defend Rick on the nut crushing.  Judith was on formula for as long as they had it.  Now, since she's probably getting teeth, he is giving her what food he can find.  My guess is that he's prechewing and then giving to her.  For me personally, there is no way I'd feed my baby food that some random stranger (who I had tied up) is offering.  Too many people in the ZA see a baby as a liability not to mention a bribe - like Rick said, the baby gets sick, the Father goes to the gates of hell to allow the sole doctor in ZA help her.   And finally, long before there were car seats and baby formula and sunscreen and all kinds of conveniences we have now (and even now in third world societies) babies got what they got and they survived.  Guess what, if she had a three course meal of dog tail, earthworm and acorn, she'd still survive and grow.  Babies are much stronger than they look.

Hallelujah, amen and PREACH. You can't miss what you have never known. Judith probably has the best immune system of the lot

Edited by Boofish
  • Love 8
 And yea - THOSE are the two you send out into the scary world to bring back a passel of people? And, it would make sense to be recruiting if you are a small group and just really don't have the manpower.

Would have made more sense if they'd sent someone like Rick (clean, of course) and an older man, such as Hershel.

But then I have to wonder, how did this community get built in the first place if there aren't a lot of them? You'd not only have to have the strength for building, but the numbers to be able to mutli-task construction with fending off walkers. So I'm wondering if maybe there wasn't a larger group and something happened to them....and now they need to re-build?

Had to be a lot of people at first, but I doubt that there's a large community now.  

I don't like the sound of auditioning.  If they don't take all of Rick's group, there will be a problem.

Judith would not be able to eat the acorn meat, chewed or not.  Acorns are edible, but they are very stringent and boiled water has to be poured over the ground acorns before they can be eaten.  

Edited by Diane M
  • Love 1
I want to defend Rick on the nut crushing.  Judith was on formula for as long as they had it.  Now, since she's probably getting teeth, he is giving her what food he can find.  My guess is that he's prechewing and then giving to her.  For me personally, there is no way I'd feed my baby food that some random stranger (who I had tied up) is offering.  Too many people in the ZA see a baby as a liability not to mention a bribe - like Rick said, the baby gets sick, the Father goes to the gates of hell to allow the sole doctor in ZA help her.   And finally, long before there were car seats and baby formula and sunscreen and all kinds of conveniences we have now (and even now in third world societies) babies got what they got and they survived.  Guess what, if she had a three course meal of dog tail, earthworm and acorn, she'd still survive and grow.  Babies are much stronger than they look.

I completely agree with you about Judith. I was actually happy to see the nut crushing, because it would be really hard to fanwank that they've had formula this entire time. I liked seeing Rick being creative and able to adapt to the situation with a baby in tow. 

• Love 4

Oh, I don't doubt that at all, I just found the image absolutely hilarious. He's crushing them with the butt of his shotgun! In a tiny teeny little bowl! With their cupules still attached! I giggled.

But then again, I giggled also at the weird tongue thing he did when he tasted the applesauce, he looked like my dog when he somehow gets into the peanut butter.

Edited by Caelicola
  • Love 2

I agree.  It didn't seem natural to me.  I think the kiss went on too long, it all seemed too awkward and forced to me. I felt the same way about Maggie and Glenn (and at times I still do) when they hooked up. 

**BTW, I'm new...been a lurker for a long time and another poster finally convinced me to post  :)**

Hi, widespreadpanic!  Love your clever screen name and am so happy you finally decided to de-lurk!  WELCOME.

• Love 4
Sadly, these people are still to stupid to live.  Making the journey at night was dumb.

Yep, my big complaint against a group that tries to be careful.  Rick's reasoning didn't make sense..."If we need to, we can make a quick escape."   If there were no walkers, yep, but there are.  And just the scenario that could happen, did.  Getting caught after dark with walkers in the woods is a recipe for death.  One would barely be able to see five feet in front of you, if even that.

Loved, loved, loved the look on Rick's face when they pulled up outside of Alexandria and heard the children playing.

But I'm still not sold on this being a true "safe" place. Watch that really be a tape recording or something. 

I was thinking it might be a tape recording too.  It's so hard to trust in this world.

Why did he (Aaron) travel so far from his community to find Rich's group? What for?

A question they never asked him.  Seems kind of dangerous.

Alexandria is just outside of the D.C. metro area, about 20 minutes away with no traffic or walkers. They are essentially in Washington D.C. However, D.C. is densely populated. There would be walkers everywhere. I don't see how it would be safe to actually go into the D.C. Besides, if there is anyone left of the government, they would have been evacuated first.

I don't think we can accurately conclude this.  While I'm sure the big cities would have more walkers, there is no way to know how many walkers the police or military were able to take out before they died or left.  Plus, it's been a number of years since it began, so we don't how many may have left in hordes to go somewhere else.

But then again, I giggled also at the weird tongue thing he did when he tasted the applesauce, he looked like my dog when he somehow gets into the peanut butter.

Yeah, I watched that a couple times with a strange look on my face (I'm sure). It was awkward!

You're drooling again walnutqueen ;D

In a tiny teeny little bowl! With their cupules still attached! <-- I learned cupules today. I call them "lil acorn hats"

You're just jelly 'cause you didn't jump on the newbie first!  My cupules stopped drooling for others many years ago - my intentions are PURE!!!!

• Love 1

I learned cupules today. I call them "lil acorn hats"

Full disclosure, I had to google it. Fuller disclosure, english is not my first language, and even in my first language I had no idea of their name. Fullest disclosure, I wasn't even sure they had an actual name, and not just "the little bit on top", with a hand gesture to show their shape.

• Love 9

I kept noticing that cut on Abraham's arm, as well. Didn't Sasha's knife have walker blood on it? How is that not infected? 

We're all infected. Maybe the cut will turn Abraham very, very slowly. Perhaps he's already experiencing symptoms, thus his attempt to make amends with Rosita?

• Love 3

We're all infected. Maybe the cut will turn Abraham very, very slowly. Perhaps he's already experiencing symptoms, thus his attempt to make amends with Rosita?

I know, but a bite is a death sentence, or are walkers still producing saliva? Of course, they get covered in the blood and it has no effect. 

There's a reason we don't buy acorns in the store, like with other nuts.  Those things are chock full of tannins and cannot be eaten until they've been leeched of those tannins.  Way too tart and acidic.  You have to run water over the crushed nuts about 20 times and then boil them to make the edible to humans.

Aaron thought Judy was crying before?  Just wait until she has a tummy of unleeched acorns, poor thing.

• Love 5

It really bothered me that they left the vehicles outside the gates and walked in with only their personal weapons. I'd think the car and rv would now feel like extra security to them and they'd want them available until they figured out if Aaron's Alexandria compound was safe. Also that quiet inside the gate should have really unnerved them because I know it made me twitchy.

• Love 2