Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I thought delaying the premiere to the last week of September (when all the other shows started the week before) meant that they were going to go straight through to the winter hiatus. I guess not? That sucks. I mean, I like Robin Roberts, but I don't care about the CMAs, country music, or songs that changed the genre. :/

• Love 1

Blacklist is moving to Thursdays next month but I don't know specifically what day.

It has its mid-season finale on November 10 and then will move to Thursdays in February - but will return on Superbowl Sunday since it has the post-Superbowl slot.

Vine snippet for Clear & Present Danger from the Castle twitter.

Thanks. I hope there's going to be some reasonably rational explanation for all this invisible killer story, I don't like it when they go too far into fantasy like they did with Time Will Tell. 

Looks like we'll have to wait until at least Nov. 10 for 706 aka the long-awaited AU/presumed wedding episode. 

“COUNTDOWN TO THE CMA AWARDS: 15 SONGS THAT CHANGED COUNTRY MUSIC WITH ROBIN ROBERTS” AIRS MONDAY, NOVEMBER 3

Any thoughts on ABC bumping Castle during the first Monday of November sweeps? Or is it really not that significant...? 

Oh maybe CTV will stick to the schedule and airs the episode or iTunes screws up again and it will be online. I want another Still-gate with that one !

Edited by cappuccino

Sneaks look fun for this episode.  The new sneak reminded me of that haunted house episode.  Beckett's exasperated face at Castle does crack me up (in small doses from both).  Ass grabbing reminded me of grabbing of not legs heh.  Nice switch with the credit card by Castle.  I was waiting for some quip about his credit card being "stolen" by his redheads all the time.  His kung fu stance did crack me up too.  

I do kind of wish they would show more care and concern in a physical way right in the aftermath of being injured in the line of duty but they almost always opt for the comedic or it's straight back to the case and all we get is a businesslike "are you OK?".  

Hope invisible man doesn't get too far from the realm of reality (oh geez, look at what I just typed ;)), but SLTS by the Creaseys also went a bit in that direction.

If we're going to indulge in an invisible force, can we have that invisible force pushing Caskett together to get it on? ;)  Too kinky a threesome? Heh.

Hope invisible man doesn't get too far from the realm of reality (oh geez, look at what I just typed ;)), but SLTS by the Creaseys also went a bit in that direction.

If we're going to indulge in an invisible force, can we have that invisible force pushing Caskett together to get it on? ;)  Too kinky a threesome? Heh.

That sneak was fun and the credit card switch was cool I wasn't expecting that from Castle, usually they prefer making him out to be a bit of doofus now so that made a nice change. I'm glad by the looks of it they'll probably push to one side the mythology for now - two episodes on the bounce was more than enough for me. 

Watching that clip I do hope they don't go too far off the deep end with this, I really want the show to stay grounded in reality....well some semblance of reality. 

Uh ass grabbing.....

Grabbing Beckett's arse.  Nice one. 

The invisible man gets more action with Beckett now than Castle? Lets hope not. Oh please prove me wrong Creaseys!

Yeah the grab ass was Castle not the alleged invisible man...

Obviously I need glasses, oh wait I've already got them. Damn.

Watching it again, I'm still trying to figure out how on earth they're going to explain what went on there.....

• Love 1

I think the only case that they actually let sort of hang in the air was the time travel guy. He was certifiable but in the last scene they let him disappear down the hall.

Yeah that was the episode I was thinking about where they seemed to leave it up to the audience at the end to believe whatever they wanted. I figured it was because they couldn't explain it so they shrugged and let it go.  Time travel or an invisible man (or woman) is great on a show that regularly deals with sci fi/fantasy elements but I'm not that keen on events like this happening on Castle. I hope they make a decent attempt at explaining it. 

Edited by verdana

Oopsies! Nielsen ratings had a glitch since March, discovered during the fall premiere week since watching is up (so adjustment irregularities were more noticeable). Adjusted fall ratings to be released on Monday.

So, Castle, along with most other shows, may see changes either way, or maybe not. (But I guess this was brought to light partially because ABC seemed to have final adjustments every day since the new fall season began. So we'll see.)

So I don't know how they're going to explain this invisible man. That's what's not sitting well with me. But I like the credit-card switch (except if I were Castle I'd call to close that card ASAP ... and also hope that the dude doesn't take my name off of it and stalk me/my family) and the ass-grabbing fakeout.

But the idea that there is really an invisible man -- I'll take hints of a time traveller or telekenesis, but I don't know how I'll feel if the invisible man is really a wizard or something.

It's really doubtful that it will impact anything that matters, especially if it was a programming error that just inflated/deflated ratings. The raw numbers might change, but wouldn't proportionally things stay the same?

That said, I think if anything it just proves that Nielsen ratings are inaccurate, antiquated, and not really worth the data they take up anymore. Maybe this glitch will inspire a push to something more accurate and indicative of current viewing habits (DVR/online-streaming/on demand).

• Love 1

From the TVLine article:

So keep the faith in those 25,000 Nielsen households!

25,000 households is what is determining what 3 million Americans watch. And that's exactly what's wrong with the Nielsen system.

• Love 1

http://tvline.com/2014/10/10/nielsen-ratings-glitch-affects-fall-tv-numbers/

I think Nielsen is down playing it. I had heard rumblings that this started when someone at a network figured it out.

I can't remember exactly what the story was now but I will ask my friend later if anyone is interested.

I'm interested. I'm fascinated by this development and am curious to see how ratings shake out now that they've found this error. I also wonder if they'll ever go back and look at the real ratings dating back to March.  

From what I can tell with all the media outlets reporting it, the total numbers haven't been affected it's the demos which have been affected. So my guess is not only the network executives picked up on it but maybe the advertisers who were investing and were wondering why some of their bought slots weren't rating as high as they should. But that is just my quick analysis from what I read today about it.

Yeah, bottom line is money. Either the advertisers thought they spent too much money on the slots (ie: ratings are too low for what the price they paid) or network execs thought they didn't get enough money (ie: ratings were higher than what the slots sold for) and someone looked into it.

I still don't think it'll affected anything renew/cancel wise, though. It's definitely not going to bring back anything that's already been cancelled. It just might adjust the cost for which the commercials were selling.

Take the time to get a close up of the ring in dark light but forgot to give the ring back to Stana for the rest of the scene. Lol way to go prop people. At least we got clever Castle, ass grabbing and his excitement so maybe the fun is brought back.

• Love 2

He borrowed Harry Potter's cloak.

Who wouldn't want an invisibility cloak?  I would love a Harry Potter reference.  It would be cool if Castle knows JK Rowling in passing or something.  Especially as she's writing murder mysteries now too.

Invisible man took care of the ring too. ;)

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 2

Take the time to get a close up of the ring in dark light but forgot to give the ring back to Stana for the rest of the scene. Lol way to go prop people. At least we got clever Castle, ass grabbing and his excitement so maybe the fun is brought back.

How on earth can you see if she is wearing the ring in the rest of that scene? You have amazing eyesight!

Thanks. I hope there's going to be some reasonably rational explanation for all this invisible killer story, I don't like it when they go too far into fantasy like they did with Time Will Tell.

In contrast, because some of their storylines are so far-fetched anyway, I wish they'd gone farther into fantasy all along. We all have our druthers.

I still don't think it'll affected anything renew/cancel wise, though. It's definitely not going to bring back anything that's already been cancelled. It just might adjust the cost for which the commercials were selling.

If it's a magnitude change, the relative differences between shows will remain the same. But who knows! It'll be fun to see.

I think the show has created a massive problem for itself by withholding all passion by the leads the past two seasons. What they've done is make it so many people only watch to get a scrap of Caskett (cause the fans have been such good doggies) that every minute of the COTW is just a distraction. It doesn't matter how unique or well-written the case is, because the audience is just waiting for its broken (interrupted) cookie. That's a major problem for a procedural.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame
  • Love 3

Remember when Molly said Alexis would have PTSD? So when is that supposed to kick in? Alexis has the worse case of delayed reactions. Still waiting for her to have some form of ... something! ... regarding her Paris abduction.  Ha! And we all wonder why Marlowe & Co. couldn't tell Beckett and Castle backstories at the same time! 

FlickerToAFlame. By their pattern of obvious avoidance and hesitancy when it comes to that side of things, yeah that can create unnecessary problems. I can't see them changing how they play the game though, why should they? Ratings are solid.

Although I will say that I find the COTW has gone steeply downhill in terms of the writing so it's not as if fans are missing out on anything there, it's rare to have decent case these days that really holds my attention. If the case was genuinely involving and entertaining it might take my mind off the lack of meaningful Castle and Beckett interaction, at least for a little while. Pity all the time spent developing the COTW in that writers room isn't reflected in the quality of what I'm seeing on screen. What I wouldn't give for a good solid S1/S2 murder case right now.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

I think the show has created a massive problem for itself by withholding all passion by the leads the past two seasons. What they've done is make it so many people only watch to get a scrap of Caskett (cause the fans have been such good doggies) that every minute of the COTW is just a distraction. It doesn't matter how unique or well-written the case is, because the audience is just waiting for its broken (interrupted) cookie. That's a major problem for a procedural.

Agreed.  Except the show writers don't see it as a problem; they see rationing scraps and withholding as a good strategy to keep loyal viewers coming back for more. ;)  Also, I wonder if their mindset of teasing out the WT/WT for as long as they could in the first 4 seasons is so ingrained that the same mindset continued even after Caskett became a couple and there wasn't really a need to hold back anymore.  The relationship should have moved to a new stage (honeymoon ha! ;)) of passion, excitement, discovery, fun ;) etc. but the writers seemed to prefer to put a lid on that.  At least I saw very little of it in the writing.  And/or there is a fundamental insecurity about running out of story for a couple that's gotten together, hence the constant pulling back and interruptions and insertions of inorganic conflict.

Of all the shows I watch, Castle feels like the one that withholds the most.  I find this to be quite an outdated approach.  Well written television dramas these days have stuff happening in episode 2 that would have been saved for a cliffhanger or a finale in the past.

For all the withholding of Caskett and focus on the COTW, it's not like the case ends up better written a lot of the time.  So it feels like the viewer can't be satisfied at either end.

• Love 2

I thought Molly only said she wanted Alexis to have PTSD, not that it would happen for sure? Could be, I misunderstood, though... I'm actually waiting for that Alexis/Kate tension I read about quite a few times. I don't like petulant Alexis, but at least it would show that she was affected by everything that's happened.

The Alexis in Montreal felt more like the Alexis of old (a good thing imo).  Definite improvement on the Alexis from the beginning of last season.  I'm fine with Alexis being affected by what's happened (as indeed all the characters should be) but they should handle her emotional reactions with care and be careful it doesn't descend into petulance and disrespect for her father.

Although I have no desire to see any Caskett babies, I must admit that Castle/Nathan has a good chemistry with kids.  Alexis, Cosmo, and now this girl.  They look sweet together in those promo pics for 704 with Castle in fairy wings and a tiara hehe.  I would love for Beckett to witness that.

• Love 1

Basically, it's created a dysfunctional relationship between the show and its viewers. For some, it means they come back in almost a codependent way (....ith the false hope of "maybe this time they won't do the kissus interruptus". But it never ends). Others get angry. Still others (me for instance) become apathetic. Apathy is definitely the last thing they want. IMHO, what they've done is a mistake if they want a huge hit. If they want a show that hobbles along like a car on fumes but doesn't die, they've designed it well.

Edited by TVWithPity
  • Love 2

Although I have no desire to see any Caskett babies, I must admit that Castle/Nathan has a good chemistry with kids.  Alexis, Cosmo, and now this girl.  They look sweet together in those promo pics for 704 with Castle in fairy wings and a tiara hehe.  I would love for Beckett to witness that.

I've no desperate wish to see Kate with child and then a baby messing up the works on this show although I know it must be coming at some point. I don't believe the show can deal with a baby on the scene unless of course it disappears off screen into magical all round day and night care whilst they carry on detecting.  But Nathan with a kid is a no brainer for generating positive vibes. Those pictures of him in fairy wings warmed my cold, dead heart.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Just my take and I could be wrong, but I see no babies on the show unless Stana Katic gets pregnant before the show ends. (It's the only reason, IMO, why Brennan/Booth had Christine on Bones. And she has only been seen a handful of times since, so a kid is workable, even if unneeded, on Castle if the same formula is used. But kids dilute everything. Don't believe me? See Olivia Benson and her new foster/adopted kid on SVU.)

I'd actually love for them to have a pregnancy scare. Just because it would be really interesting to see how they'd handle everything; their differences in experience with babies, Alexis, her (their) job at the Precinct... Wouldn't want them to have one, though, simply because I can't imagine their dynamic/the dynamic of the show would remain the same. I don't know how Castle could still go to the Precinct with Beckett, and without that, where's the fun of the show?

• Love 2
I wonder how long it will be after Castle and Beckett get hitched that fans will start asking about Caskett babies?

Some fans are already asking about Caskett babies.

I have no desire to see a pregnant Kate or a baby on the show.  I can see them having Kate get pregnant right before the show ends.  I honestly can't see Marlowe writing a baby storyline, he resists all the personal stuff, so why would a baby be different.

I also have a cold dead heart.

I think that a show can have all the best "baby moments" without an actual baby.

Talking about having one (they did that)

Deciding to try for one

Kate getting pregnant (right before the show ends)

Or maybe adopting one. I would really like that. Way more modern in something an audience can relate to.

Heh, I'm all for "right before the show ends" kind of scenario, suits everyone.

I sense Marlowe isn't keen on the idea of babies at all if he can help it but this is a very traditional show and it seems inevitable that there will be a steady drip, drip, drip of baby talk as soon as they get married (that happens in real life too). There was this building pressure as soon as they hooked up about when they were going to get married, they couldn't just live together (which would have suited me fine it makes no difference to me) but I understood why it had to happen. It's the same with them having kids, but I can't see Marlowe able to stall that inevitable push to see Castle and Beckett struggling with parenthood, especially if the show continues past S7. 

A pregnancy scare as Lucynda suggested I could see them doing at some point if they want to create a bit of drama. 

• Love 1

Or maybe adopting one. I would really like that. Way more modern in something an audience can relate to.

If TPTB feel the need to introduce a kid for C/B, I'd prefer this way too. I know we go on and on about the realism of the show, but it slightly annoyed me when Ryan & Jenny were trying to have a baby that magically after all the testing they both went through, Jenny was pregnant anyway (having a few friends who went through all that with no success like the Ryans had kinda stuck with me during that episode). Not being interested in having kids myself, I agree I'd much rather see a more realistic, different approach to C/B's kids than the typical one. Even the infertility angle I see a lot, while common in the real world (especially when you're dealing with people 30+ like they both are on the show), isn't the preferred path I'd like to see taken. 

That being said, I firmly believe babies are bad for TV shows and seem to be a desperate effort in the life of a TV show (as they tend to pop up after 5+ years of a show's run). I've seen it happen time and time and time again (going all the way back to the days of Growing Pains and Murphy Brown IMO) because they don't know what to do with them. They don't provide good story in the long run (again, IMO). So, for me, I'd really prefer no baby at all. Ever. lol 

Edited by S55

As someone has had open-heart surgery as a wee child (so can do a mini-comparison to Beckett being shot in the chest), I'd prefer they go down the adoption route. That being said if they do have her become pregnant (even though I'd prefer them not to introduce children) I'd hope for them to address the problems that could occur due to the injury/trauma she suffered. Because that is something you have to address years to come after it happens (in my case 30 years on and it's still brought up anytime I go to my specialist).

Edited by Nadine

As someone has had open-heart surgery as a wee child (so can do a mini-comparison to Beckett being shot in the chest), I'd prefer they go down the adoption route. That being said if they do have her become pregnant (even though I'd prefer them not to introduce children) I'd hope for them to address the problems that could occur due to the injury/trauma she suffered. Because that is something you have to address years to come after it happens (in my case 30 years on and it's still brought up anytime I go to my specialist).

Due to the very frothy nature of Castle, I personally don't see TPTB tackling difficult pregnancies or whatever. I'm pretty confident that would be under rug swept entirely.

Due to the very frothy nature of Castle, I personally don't see TPTB tackling difficult pregnancies or whatever. I'm pretty confident that would be under rug swept entirely.

I totally agree with you on that one. When it comes to continuity regarding that and the scar in particular (that it's there one minute, disappeared the next), I don't think they'd go there at all. Just raised it because it's one of those things that bugs me when it comes to inconsistency on the matter (and it'll never change when it comes to the show). So yeah I'd prefer they'd not even go the children route at all at this stage or if they did in the final episode of the show.

My personal feeling about this is that Marlowe won't be able to resist the lure of paint by numbers storytelling paved by Moonlighting and Bones (the first handled it horribly the latter much, much better). I think a lot will depend on if season 7 is the last one. If they go for an eighth, I can see the season seven finale being a pregnancy reveal/cliffhanger with season 8 as Baby!Caskett. It would be great if they did an infertility storyline of something - but let's face it - that kind of nuanced narrative is unlikely given the source.

I'm fine with Alexis being in the dorm busy studying for the incredibly expensive private school that she never seems to attend. Maybe it would be "cool" if she, like, got a job or did another internship instead of playing detective with someone who's already playing detective. There are so many versions of Alexis I don't like, and Sherlock!Alexis is up there.

• Love 2

There are so many versions of Alexis I don't like, and Sherlock!Alexis is up there.

Sherlock!Alexis (heh) is the worst, looks as if they're still at a loss as to how to incorporate her into the show in a realistic way despite bringing her back to the loft. Although she hasn't annoyed me so far this season I still don't buy her trip up to Montreal with her father into the unknown and possible danger or that Beckett would have let them go so easily. It was okay when in the old days she was offering insight into cases when Castle came home but I don't like it when they have her taking off and actively investigating. It could be dangerous as they're often walking into the unknown and if worst case scenario happens she could end up under threat and I have to pretend that Castle would be okay with that when I doubt any parent would in a million years. 

Edited by verdana

I guess at some point television/movies still believe people are very traditional.

I for one don't care about marriage. Although I guess a proposal is more dramatic and makes for better TV.

Will you move in with me doesn't have the same cliff hanger affect as will you marry me…ha!

Jonathan Frakes who directed an episode of Castle described the show as "old fashioned" and he's right it is. That's why I knew that Castle had to propose on bended knee, that living together (or Kate proposing!) was not an option and that a pregnancy in a year or so must happen. Because that's tradition and what the audience expect for the most part and yeah you're right it all adds to the drama. I would have liked it if Marlowe had defied convention and had Beckett and Castle decide they didn't want kids just because they didn't want them - no other reason given. But that's obviously not going to happen given events last season, to have seen the reaction though if he had gone there it would have been interesting.

As for dealing with serious matters like infertility, miscarriage etc I hope they never tackle these subjects because I fear it would be badly handled, you need continuity to be respectful to the subject matter and the show's format doesn't allow that.  Even if they did try, like Elysium I don't think they have the writing chops to pull it off.