Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I think Stana should be written off the show, because I don't think Stana actually wants to be there. That's my opinion.

I think Stana signed because there was nothing better out there offered to her and if there had been she would have dumped Castle like a shot. After seven years grind the thrill has faded, there really isn't that much more left for a woman to do on a show like this aside from one thing - motherhood.

Does Katic really want to be spending most of the season waddling around with a fake baby bump whilst chasing down criminals, perfecting her agonised screams ready for the birth all the while getting hate from some fans criticising Kate's lousy mothering instincts? Hell no the woman isn't dumb. Instead a season of Obsessive Justice Disorder, more time off and a bigger pay cheque is just the ticket. She's probably content at the moment with her decision.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I enjoyed that sneak, I liked Espo being made fun of and his reaction, laughed at you must be wearing lifts line which could apply to both as they're shorties (although it doesn't help standing next to Fillion) and if the separation silliness keeps casting a pall over proceedings, I may well end up transferring my attentions to watching Castle and the boys having fun and games whilst they track down the killer, there could be quite a bit of them together in this one based on the promo and this latest clip.

Although didn't Captain Beckett tell them not to get involved with Castle last week? Naughty boys ignoring the boss like that.

Question: The guy in this photo is someone related to the case and not to Beckett and Locksat?

I presumed it was a guy turning up because Castle has been poking his nose into case which of course the NYPD are involved in, I assume any further visible threats from the big bad will not be revisited until November sweeps.

Castle Vital Scenes

Castle Vital Scenes – ‏@BecklebeeCastle

FYI: I heard last night from Kimmel that next week #Castle's @NathanFillion will be a guest on @JimmyKimmelLive . No specific date yet

It was funnier seeing the boys all get mocked in turn rather than something like Espo mocking Castle.  Nice that they didn't let Espo get the last laugh here.  And I'm not sure, but Jon Huertas' age seems to be a bit of a mystery so maybe he's successfully hidden it heh.  Anyway, nice bit of comedy there by the boys with their reactions.

As for Castle's writing being mocked, well, that's nothing new for the show.  Although they did give him a Career Achievement Award last season, so there's that.  Patterson's kind of held up to be the gold standard in their genre on the show, but Patterson wannabe, really?  Sure, Patterson churns out loads of books every year (with the help of his team of ghostwriters) making him "Patterson rich" as Castle said, but in terms of artistic merit... well, I sure hope Castle aspires to be more!  Even within the mystery genre, there are many better writers.  I will be interested to find out whose Castle's writer idol is in the episode and what kind of books he writes.  Maybe there will be hints as to where Castle sees his writing career in a few years, whether he's contemplated any forays into serious literature.  I wish there were more literary references in the show, and I would love to see Caskett dicusss Castle's books or books in general.  If you're going to make your protagonist a writer, you might as well explore that world.

I agree with Hal when he said a couple days ago that SK is onboard with the direction of the show. She wanted it-- as the more dramatic the character then the role has more meat and she has said in the past that she likes that.

SK has several things going on from her indie films to her production co.  While I may see her in a different way than others as far as her acting abilities she is smart.

The show has taken her from unknown to well known and given her financial freedom to pursue her other endeavors.  By Hollywood's fickle standards she is past her prime so I really think she is right where she wants to be for now. 

One more point---I watched that promo and really am glad I am not watching because I really hate it when they put Castle down--what's the point of it? It is not funny.

Edited by Bubbi63

I presumed it was a guy turning up because Castle has been poking his nose into case which of course the NYPD are involved in, I assume any further visible threats from the big bad will not be revisited until November sweeps.

By November sweeps, something must happen in 8x7 (Christine Roum withstanding) which causes Beckett to realize that keeping the case and the relationship separate puts both of them in danger. The audience needs something besides ongoing episodes that rewind to past Caskett banter in order to keep them watching past November. The Nov-Feb sweep periods are back-to-back this season. The producers told us no two-parter in rest of season. During Feb sweeps, I would guess the reunion happens which allows them to attack the case together moving forward. Otherwise, a separation lasting any longer just makes no sense for a hurried resolution to everything during May sweeps because many fans will have already stopped watching long before that time. IMHO.

Edited by VinceW

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/09/spoiler-room-walking-dead-flash-castle-spoilers

Spoiler from EW on the episode with Slaughter.

Anything on Adam Baldwin’s return to Castle? — Steve

Castle was just shooting Adam Baldwin’s return episode when my cohort Samantha Highfill got the scoop from the showrunners. “Given everything that happened in season 4 between [slaughter and Castle], obviously Castle’s very hesitant,” Alexi Hawley says. “But we want to do something unexpected with it, to turn the story a little bit on its head, so it’s not going to be just a carbon copy of the episode we had before. We have some really great twists and turns.” Terence Paul Winter adds: “We’re going to see a new side of Slaughter that we weren’t privy to in the first episode that we saw him in.”

I have to say I couldn't care less about seeing a new side to him, unless it involves him being less of a jerk towards Castle.

Edited by verdana
VinceW I would expect something to happen Feb sweeps too, dragging out a separation any longer than that is trying fans patience beyond the limit. As for Beckett coming to a realisation, I'd like her to realise way before that, it's doing damage having her keep this from him but they definitely need to throw the audience a huge bone prior to Christmas in terms of some sign of positive movement.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/09/spoiler-room-walking-dead-flash-castle-spoilers

Spoiler from EW on the episode with Slaughter.

I have to say I couldn't care less about seeing a new side to him, unless it involves him being less of a jerk towards Castle.

I expect that the Slaughter character will take on the same persona that Baldwin's character(Mike Slattery)  played in the TNT summer series 'The Last Ship'. He was less the "Last Action Hero" type serving as the ExecO on the ship and he was supportive of the ship commander and the crew, but he would go rogue at times if his men were in danger. Until TSATQ, "Headhunters" was considered one of the worse Castle episodes besides "Heartbreak Hotel". The Slaughter character behavior was so extreme that his portrayal as an actual homicide detective was unreal. The episode itself was dark and the premise made no sense for Castle and Becket at that point in their relationship. You would hope that script was all Marlowe driven at the time.

Edited by VinceW

On the speculation side: How many of you trust Vikram? It just seems like he's doing that passive-aggressive manipulation. "I'll step away, if you don't want to continue to pursue this." And things like that. Also, I hate thay scraggly bush on his chin.

I know they said Gates got a promotion, but did they ever mention what happened to Tory? (I haven't seen XX-XY, and have no desire to.)

Edited by roamyn

Since LOCKSAT knew about Vikram it should be a huge red flag that he quit the AG & went to work for Beckett (you know the one that started the search that Vikram got the hit on) at the NYPD in like 2 days. Just another unexplained Grand Canyon sized plot hole to add to the list I guess.

On the speculation side: How many of you trust Vikram? It just seems like he's doing that passive-aggressive manipulation. "I'll step away, if you don't want to continue to pursue this." And things like that. Also, I hate thay scraggly bush on his chin.

I know they said Gates got a promotion, but did they ever mention what happened to Tory? (I haven't seen XX-XY, and have no desire to.)

Tory has not been mentioned and I doubt they will.

As for Vikram manipulating her, I didn't see it that way, it came over as the writers unsubtle way of showing the audience that Kate is determined to go after LOCKSAT no matter what, highlighting her becoming obsessed because and developing tunnel vision because "it's all in her DNA" crap that the showrunners have been peddling.

That said it doesn't feel right that Beckett was so easily trusting of Vikram or Rita but her characterisation has been so bent out of shape with this story nothing much makes sense.

Edited by verdana

I don't trust Vikram.  In the scenes he has with Kate, he seems to be evaluating and manipulating her when he initially meets her.  And in the scene in the aircraft hangar, he gets this "dead-eye" look when he and Kate have a standoff with another guy.

Second sneak

http://www.zimbio.com/Stana+Katic/articles/tzwXMtW5IzR/Exclusive+Castle+Sneak+Peek+Rick+Kate+Still

I loved Midnight Run. Makes me want to go watch it again heh.

Kind of surprised that it took Castle and Ryan to point out to Kate that in her position she can't be involved.

Are you kidding me? Now they are going to skype their scenes together? Can this get any worse? I have zero desire to watch this. What a shame.

Oh goodie, we are back to using technology so they don't have to be in the same scenes together. It really is like Castle P.I. of old.

As for Vikram, he seems harmless to me. The fact Beckett has so much faith in him and that he can leave his job and work for the NYPD without LOCKSAT knowing what's going on.....is more an indication of bad writing than anything nefarious in my eyes.

Nathan gave TVLine some soundbites about Season 8. 

“First of all, I asked them if they were high,” Nathan Fillion quipped to TVLine on Saturday night, at The Paley Center for Media‘s Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog reunion event. “Second, they reassured me that what was going was they wanted to get back to a time when people were rooting for the couple, rooting for them to get together, to do something.”

“People had a desire, a wont, for them to fight for something,” Fillion observes. And in finding this way to restore that dynamic, “I think [the showrunners] did a really good job.”

“One of the things that Terence and Alexi are really big on, and I agree, is they don’t consider Castle to be a drama,” Fillion said. “It’s never been much of a drama; it’s far more a comedy with dramatic and heartfelt moments. And they wanted to bring it back to a time when it was funny, when it was great, when it was the lighthearted show that everybody fell in love with.”

I don't really know about that last part. I liked PhDead well enough, but I don't think an emotional break-up and an ongoing investigation into a Bigger Bad were key to getting Castle back to being a lighthearted show. I was watching S2 eps earlier today, and a lot of the funny came from more interesting COTWs and sharper character interactions revolving around investigating them. Ideally, they could have gotten back to that formula without breaking up the central pairing. I think they're bent on bringing the comedy from ep to ep despite the overarching separation/Loksat storyline, but there's definitely the risk of emotional discontinuity/whiplash there.

Edited by metaphor

I agree. You cant have this heavy breakup that looms over the viewer and have this comedy going on. Doesnt work.

I think they were high, i think they still are. I think this will go on all season..8 x 07 be damned. Not going to make much difference in the relationship.

As people have said, you can't have the show be lighthearted when Beckett has left her marriage. It just doesn't work that way. What a load of BS.

This show is more drama now than it has ever been.

• Love 2

I guess the one good thing is that TPW/AH remembered that Castle's a writer so they have referenced it a whole lot more in 4 eps than the last 2 seasons. Unfortunately it's a lot of insults but at least this 2nd sneak peak was about his research and connections. Now if they could've done away with this dumb separation storyline...

I guess the one good thing is that TPW/AH remembered that Castle's a writer so they have referenced it a whole lot more in 4 eps than the last 2 seasons. Unfortunately it's a lot of insults but at least this 2nd sneak peak was about his research and connections. Now if they could've done away with this dumb separation storyline...

Yeah but pity the insults keep flowing though and that's been consistent this season, with quite a few references made to his books but they've all been insulting. I don't like it when they take pot shots at his career, it's done for comedic effect but I don't find it funny. This would be a perfect time to find out more about his writing so lets hope that's the last insult I hear.

As for the separation storyline, what's frustrating is that they don't need it to make the episodes perfectly enjoyable and ineresting. I don't find the angst (to date) adds anything to either the characters or my viewing experience in fact it's casting a pall over proceedings and spoiling things, that's the incredibly stupid thing about it.

Nothing I can do about it I know, they're determined to play it out for as long as it takes but it's a shame.

Edited by verdana

After reading that article, makes me wonder what kind of relationships these people have experienced lol. I can't fathom how they can possibly maintain the overall lightness and fun tone when something this serious has happened between Castle and Beckett. In real life it doesn't work that way. Splitting them up is surely counterproductive if you want more fun and frolicks yes? Sigh.

It explains what I'm seeing though, in the constant underplaying of the characters reactions to what's happening so they can try and maintain that lightness they crave unfortunately it creates this strange disconnect.

I also find the violence has become more in your face too since Hawley took over which I don't care for and I wish they'd tone that down. Doesn't impress me.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 4

As for the separation storyline, what's frustrating is that they don't need it to make the episodes perfectly enjoyable and ineresting. I don't find the angst (to date) adds anything to either the characters or my viewing experience in fact it's casting a pall over proceedings and spoiling things, that's the incredibly stupid thing about it.

Yep, but it's kinda depressing that the holidays are likely gonna be avoided since we usually get something every season. 1st anniversary is coming up and you probably still got Castle trying to win Beckett back and clueless to the reason she left. Possible that they're still separated by the time Valentine's rolls around when they really should've fix the character development of him being a more creative gift giver than plot point jewelry. It's the little things that would be more interesting to learn about the characters than all this angst. I do hope Jim makes an appearance and it's a shame that the last time we saw him, he was a glorified extra.

• Love 1

After reading that article, makes me wonder what kind of relationships these people have experienced lol. I can't fathom how they can possbily maintain the overall lightness and fun tone when something this serious has happened between Castle and Beckett. In real life it doesn't work that way. Splitting them up is surely counterproductive if you want more fun and frolicks yes? Sigh.

Yes. Yes to all of this. What kind of insane relationships have the cast and writers of Castle been part of??lol

My head hurts after reading that interview. Do they actually believe this stuff? Is this a case of the writers, actors etc. being too "smart" for their viewing audience? Completely unbelievable that life would carry on in the manner that they are proposing during a break up and fight with an evil cabal.

Light hearted crime procedural/love story = ridiculous conspiracies, break ups, possible mental illness and lying? To quote Castle back when the show made some sense, "Don't ruin my story with your logic!"

It's sad to watch Castle sink into tired conspiracies with nonsense plot lines. There are many shows that do dark, conspiracy related stories with more skill than Castle. Over seven seasons I have watched in spite of messes like Linchpin/Pandora and the wedding disaster/disappearance. At long last they are offering up a storyline with actual follow through. A pity that it is being spent on a multi-episode(season long?) break up and a conspiracy that does not make sense.

I've never given much thought to the speculation about BTS issues with the cast. However, the article(and many of the articles "explaining" S8) and the goofiness of this storyline make me wonder if there is some truth to it all.

ETA: when I mention BTS issues, I think there are more possibilities than the typical two leads hate each other scenario. As has been mentioned in earlier posts, SK likely wanted a more interesting storyline for her character. Also, they both wanted regular time off which limits their availability to film. Whatever the reasons I'm not convinced this storyline was caused by a backstage tantrum. I've never been big on the SK vs NF or Castle vs Beckett stuff. I'm interested in the characters together, solving crimes and as a couple.

Just not loving any explanation I can come up with for the turn the show has taken.

Edited by GoGiants
  • Love 1

Don't know if this is another reporter paraphrasing the same soundbites slightly differently, or Nathan just gave the same replies down the media line at Paley. And were these reporters solely there to get Castle scoop than to report on the Dr. Horrible panel? ;)

"Castle" threw fans for a loop at the end of its two-part season premiere when Kate walked out on her marriage to Rick. The decision even had star Nathan Fillion scratching his head.

"I looked at our showrunners [Alexi Hawley and Terence Paul Winter] and I said, 'How are you going to sell that?'" Fillion told Headlines & Global News exclusively at The Paley Center for Media's Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog Reunion on Saturday. "They reassured me that it was going to be fine, that they were looking to do a couple things. One is bring the fun back to 'Castle.'"

“First of all, I asked them if they were high,” Nathan Fillion quipped to TVLine on Saturday night, at The Paley Center for Media‘s Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog reunion event.

Heh.  They were high on their new showrunner job.

I hope this can put to rest the idea that Nathan somehow orchestrated the break up storyline for his own nefarious reasons, but I'm sure the conspiracy will live on somewhere. ;) *cues X Files music*

I liked PhDead well enough, but I don't think an emotional break-up and an ongoing investigation into a Bigger Bad were key to getting Castle back to being a lighthearted show.

I agree with both sentiments, but will add that more than getting Castle back to a light hearted show from the writers' pov, what they really wanted to do was to re-insert the WT/WT, some kind of tension in the Caskett dynamic, which in their mind, had gotten too stale, stable and boring.  Maybe they thought that was the way the Caskett dynamic was most alive and sparky, maybe they didn't know or didn't want to write Caskett in a happy, unturbulent marriage.  Maybe they struggled with what the Caskett arc would be all season if they were happily married, maybe they'd already struggled with coming up stories since they got together and wanted a change.  We can debate or dispute all that, but I believe that's the thinking behind the contentious storyline.

“Second, they reassured me that what was going was they wanted to get back to a time when people were rooting for the couple, rooting for them to get together, to do something.”

Maybe they thought there was no movement in the relationship if they were happily married and no impetus for the viewers to keep watching if there wasn't a goal to reach (other than kids? which they didn't want to do.), conflict to resolve.  Again, we can disagree with that but I don't think it's uncommon thinking amongst TV writers.

On a less contentious note, why does his all black look here look better than on Castle?  The suit looks sharper than his Castle jackets.  Why can't Luke buy designer? Argh.  Now this guy I would believe was a millionaire, metrosexual writer with some mojo.

It explains what I'm seeing though, in the constant underplaying of the characters reactions to what's happening so they can try and maintain that lightness they crave unfortunately it creates this strange disconnect.

Strange disconnect, that describes it perfectly. I see it the other way around though. They use the comedic side to soften the impact of the drama they crave. An element that has always been there, but has been used disproportionally these last years to overcome the shock value they created. Castle’s disappearance would be an example.

Now it’s even worse because due to the split, they have to somehow uphold Beckett’s drama arc and dilemma. Additionally the story makes zero sense – as pointed out from various posters.

Unless you treat it all as a mental illness, like narcissistic personality disorder. Beckett really thinks she is the only one who is capable and willing to get justice for Rachel and co. and bring down LOCKSAT (forgetting about Rita and god knows who else). And in her mind, she keeps Castle save by moving out and restricting conversations to a minimum. But this scenario would be even worse, because it makes any humoristic attempt rather tasteless. At least in the Castleuniverse and with a character that should be somehow respected (what happened to extraordinary and various other attributes?)

• Love 3

Are you kidding me? Now they are going to skype their scenes together? Can this get any worse? I have zero desire to watch this. What a shame.

I'm surprised it’s taken this long to pull this old trick out the bag, technically they are getting a Caskett scene without the leads having to work together. I’m sure some will be fooled but we all know different and I’m sure we’ve got more to look forward to! Other versions they can use are phone calls, a Captain’s conference (Beckett’s non appearance in 8x08?) and maybe an undercover mission where they are forbidden contact.

Now it’s even worse because due to the split, they have to somehow uphold Beckett’s drama arc and dilemma. Additionally the story makes zero sense – as pointed out from various posters.

Unless you treat it all as a mental illness, like narcissistic personality disorder. Beckett really thinks she is the only one who is capable and willing to get justice for Rachel and co. and bring down LOCKSAT (forgetting about Rita and god knows who else). And in her mind, she keeps Castle save by moving out and restricting conversations to a minimum. But this scenario would be even worse, because it makes any humoristic attempt rather tasteless. At least in the Castleuniverse and with a character that should be somehow respected (what happened to extraordinary and various other attributes?)

You're spot on with the tasteless remark. I understand why they have to go back to 'normal' (show would bomb quickly otherwise) but there's a clear lack of respect to both the audience and characters (Castle particularly) in trying to sell the idea that Beckett feels like she has to leave and yet we see them together at the 12th.

If Beckett walks away from the marriage, she has to walk away entirely. Disappear, off the grid. And that clearly doesn't work unless it happens off-screen as a end of season cliffhanger or something. It cannot work as the launching pad for a season long plot point.

I don't even see when this improves either....

Strange disconnect, that describes it perfectly. I see it the other way around though. They use the comedic side to soften the impact of the drama they crave. An element that has always been there, but has been used disproportionally these last years to overcome the shock value they created. Castle’s disappearance would be an example.

But at least she's mentally unbalanced in a totally bad ass way. Sort of like Batman. Castle will use his innate gift of goofiness to break down her walls (or is it open or close her internal doors now?) all the while keeping his own secrets. How can a cluster **** of a season like this not be funny & romantic.

“First of all, I asked them if they were high,” Nathan Fillion quipped to TVLine on Saturday night, at The Paley Center for Media‘s Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog reunion event. “Second, they reassured me that what was going was they wanted to get back to a time when people were rooting for the couple, rooting for them to get together, to do something.”

“People had a desire, a wont, for them to fight for something,” Fillion observes. And in finding this way to restore that dynamic, “I think [the showrunners] did a really good job.”

This sounds like someone distancing themselves from the storyline without coming right out & saying it. He is making it clear who's idea it was. He's basically saying I get paid to do what they tell me even if I don't like it.

Edited by oberon55
  • Love 1

This sounds like someone distancing themselves from the story line without coming right out & saying it. He is making it clear who's idea it was. He's basically saying I get paid to do what they tell me even if I don't like it.

His comments are such BS and he knows it. The perfect ‘Don’t blame me for the upcoming big drop in ratings’ defense. Recall that NF told folks that 6x23 would be a light episode and fun as well. Everything done is always explained away in terms of light and comedic terms.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 2

Recall that NF told folks that 6x23 would be a light episode and fun as well.

YMMV but I thought it was comedic in intention, although many would disagree whether a forgotten ex was funny, until the cliffhanger.

Everything done is explained in terms of light and comedic terms. Since there is no two-parter planned after the extended hiatus, that suggests the ‘big bad’ story is just a ruse and the real intent is to avoid home life situations as much as possible.

I think it's a reach to interpret things that way based on what was said.  But time will tell.

Edited by madmaverick

His comments are such BS and he knows it. The perfect ‘Don’t blame me for the upcoming big drop in ratings’ defense. Recall that NF told folks that 6x23 would be a light episode and fun as well. Everything done is explained in terms of light and comedic terms. Since there is no two-parter planned after the extended hiatus, that suggests the ‘big bad’ story is just a ruse and the real intent is to avoid home life situations as much as possible. It is amazing that the network thinks that even regular viewers will hang on and not recognize the contrived plan to keep them apart on screen as much as possible. 

Any interview is bullshit & we all know it. I don't for one second believe he was in there saying "We can't do this it will ruin the show!"  I took it more as rats abandoning a sinking ship kind of thing rather than him being up & honest.

I think it's a reach to interpret things that way based on what was said.  But time will tell.

Another 'Sleeper' type episode is all that would fit into one episode and still keep the comedic tone going for entire season. IMO. Caskett living apart for an entire season and the producers expecting viewers to keep watching is a reach.

the ‘big bad’ story is just a ruse and the real intent is to avoid home life situations as much as possible.

I meant that I found the assumption of this as the real motivation behind the break up storyline to be a reach based on the limited facts at hand.  But some fans are obviously determined to believe bts rather than the writers are to blame no matter what we end up seeing on screen.  Just because we don't see any home life doesn't mean we won't be seeing any passionate scenes outside of the home in time.  Time will tell.

This sounds like someone distancing themselves from the storyline without coming right out & saying it. He is making it clear who's idea it was. He's basically saying I get paid to do what they tell me even if I don't like it.

It kind of sounds like what he was saying in seasons 1-3 to explain why he didn't want them to get together and thought the show would end if they did. And given that the show was renewed before she came back on board, I think her role was just retrofitted into the season they'd already sold the network.

Edited by Julia
I meant that I found the assumption of this as the real motivation behind the break up storyline to be a reach based on the limited facts at hand.

Limited facts have obviously never stopped anyone from believing they *know* what's really going on.  The fewer facts the better :)

Seems like this is a storyline that exists because the current showrunners didn't know what to do with the characters and the actors are along for the ride because of money and opportunity to still be employed.  From Katic's earlier interview from the beginning of the season, she spoke about the first two episodes and sounded she was on board for whatever changes would be made.  She sounded like she wanted her character to do more than she did last season, and she's getting another storyline that at least gives her more chances for drama. Was Fillion proven right by the recent changes in the show?  They're right back to the Will They? Won't They? storyline.  So many shows struggle with keeping couples fresh that, call me gullible, I believe that is enough of a motivation for this "shake up," no matter how stale their changes might be.

• Love 1