Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I think she's just an actress, I think? Just enjoying her return to Broadway glory? Oh, and managing her teaching school, I would imagine. Maybe she teaches sometimes?

She got a big Broadway gig late last season. I think she was getting ready for her audition in Dead From New York? 

She was getting ready for the premiere in Dead From New York, and at the end they all had champagne to celebrate her getting a good review.  Or something.

I doubt she can still be teaching while on Broadway, but maybe she hired people to run her school.

Still waiting to read something about S8 that REALLY grabs my attention without giving me agita -- only around 5 weeks to go and I'm dreading it more than I am anticipating with excitement. I doubt things will turn around either....

Oh, I think my post was poorly worded.

I think Castle and Beckett are endgame for sure. But with the uncertainty of TV (will the ratings get you cancelled?) plus the idea that the show is in S8 and the leads will have to go through contract negotiations again this year for more ... people get a little uneasy when tptb bring in this new storyline and no one knows how long it's going to last and how it's going to work and if they're prepared to have a proper end to the show if all the stars don't align. I'll take all the angst in the world if I know I'll get to see it get resolved.

Just acknowledging the elephant in the room (re: Castle and Beckett's relationship) would set a lot of people at ease, even if they don't give or know details yet. Especially on the heels of TVLine's blind item that's got everyone in a frenzy.

Just acknowledging the elephant in the room (re: Castle and Beckett's relationship) would set a lot of people at ease, even if they don't give or know details yet. Especially on the heels of TVLine's blind item that's got everyone in a frenzy.

I actually think a lot of people aren't worried about the relationship because they didn't see the blind item or don't think it's about Castle.  So maybe reporters are just saving everything that Winter/Hawley said about Caskett to run after the episode airs?  Because I don't think these are new interviews, I think they are just now printing stuff that was said at the TCA.  They must have talked about Caskett then, right?

If Beckett is Captain and in the field less, I'd rather see Castle just investigating with Ryan and Esposito than Hayley and Alexis.  At least we know those two characters.  And since Ryan and Esposito are still on the show, will we be seeing them investigate a different case than Castle's PI firm is doing?  Or are they going to try and tie together different aspects of the same case? That seems like it would be pretty tough to maintain all season.

Regarding Alexis:

Didn't they talk about how Alexis was "all grown up" in season 6? That's what the Pi arc was supposed to be showing us.  But maybe our new showrunners have a different definition of grown up than Marlowe did.  I'd really rather they write her off by sending her to a semester abroad or getting a job out of town or something. Molly seems like a decent young woman and all, but the truth is the character has lost her purpose on the show.  It happens, just look at Gates.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

I actually think a lot of people aren't worried about the relationship because they didn't see the blind item or don't think it's about Castle. So maybe reporters are just saving everything that Winter/Hawley said about Caskett to run after the episode airs? Because I don't think these are new interviews, I think they are just now printing stuff that was said at the TCA. They must have talked about Caskett then, right?

If Beckett is Captain and in the field less, I'd rather see Castle just investigating with Ryan and Esposito than Hayley and Alexis. At least we know those two characters. And since Ryan and Esposito are still on the show, will we be seeing them investigate a different case than Castle's PI firm is doing? Or are they going to try and tie together different aspects of the same case? That seems like it would be pretty tough to maintain all season.

Regarding Alexis:

Didn't they talk about how Alexis was "all grown up" in season 6? That's what the Pi arc was supposed to be showing us. But maybe our new showrunners have a different definition of grown up than Marlowe did. I'd really rather they write her off by sending her to a semester abroad or getting a job out of town or something. Molly seems like a decent young woman and all, but the truth is the character has lost her purpose on the show. It happens, just look at Gates.

It does seem like Molly is some sort of protected species -- I mean, honestly, if they gauged fan reaction to that character for the last few seasons she should have been "retired" like Gates but now we have to endure episodes of her working with her Dad?!? I've pretty much fast forwarded my way through most of her scenes since S4 and I didn't even bother watching Snakes on a Plane last season -- am I alone in this?? Perhaps the feedback the studio/network/writers get from the advisory panels is really different to the general feeling amongst internet fans??

It does seem like Molly is some sort of protected species -- I mean, honestly, if they gauged fan reaction to that character for the last few seasons she should have been "retired" like Gates but now we have to endure episodes of her working with her Dad?!? I've pretty much fast forwarded my way through most of her scenes since S4 and I didn't even bother watching Snakes on a Plane last season -- am I alone in this?? Perhaps the feedback the studio/network/writers get from the advisory panels is really different to the general feeling amongst internet fans??

You are definitely not alone with your reaction to her, but I don't know what the majority of feedback ABC gets is.  From this board most people hate her, but we're not necessarily the majority of fans.

I do know that Nathan and Molly are close, if he has any sway he probably would push to keep her.  I don't mean that as a criticism, just an observation. He's always talking about how much he likes doing scenes with her and Susan.  And maybe the producers feel protective of her because she was young when she started?

The writers/producers definitely seem to have a massive blind spot where she's concerned and the ratings (7.21 hit the lowest for the season a 1.3) don't support the idea that Alexis is some huge draw to general viewers either. I find it perplexing that they seem to want to promote her so much.

If Alexis is supposed to grow up, the first step is moving out and into her own place... Preferably in another country.

I chuckled at this comment from a lady called Susan on the EW article, she's not alone in this desire.

Edited by verdana

I don't think TPTB are saying much on the Caskett front because they don't want to spoil the big break up, and also shit's going to hit the fan afterwards, and they may be saving all their reassuring for then.  I don't recall Marlowe spilling anything about the wedding that would never happen or the shocking ex husband right up to the finale either.  The writers want their surprises.  Even if some of them are really quite predictable to TV trope connoisseurs.  They should be wary of how much goodwill they may lose with viewers though, and not just the vocal ones online.  I still think they lost a chunk of goodwill and viewers that was never recovered after the stunt they pulled with the aborted wedding and disappearing fiance.

I do think Alexis still has a role to play on the show as part of Castle's family.  I like seeing the personal, family life side of things so that it's not just 99% COTW/whatever mythology they have going on all the time.  But I don't understand why they can't write storylines for Alexis that are about her growing as a young woman, like they did in the early seasons.  Glimpses of life as a college student, finding her way in life and career and love.  Glimpses of her bonding with Beckett, navigating the new contours of their relationship together.  Glimpses of her getting used to sharing her Dad with Beckett and possibly siblings in the future, while Castle/Alexis still make time to keep their relationship special.  Glimpses of her with Martha as they treasure their time together especially as they don't live together anymore, as she offers unsolicited advice to her granddaughter.  But seeing that we've never gotten those storylines over the past seasons, it's quite apparent that the writers just weren't really interested in exploring that side of things.  They were interested in exploring Castle/Alexis and injecting some conflict in that relationship, and also exploring Alexis & boys, which they wrote poorly for the most part.  

I don't mind seeing Alexis be kind of like Veronica Mars on occasions because she's an intelligent young woman with initiative, but that should be a very occasional occurrence when crime happens to cross her path.  Rarely, I would hope.  Something like a murder on a college campus.  Or the innocence project episode.  The plane episode was fine too, but I like Alexis being involved in Castle's investigations in small doses.  It shouldn't be a big part of her character's life.  She should have other stuff going on.  Isn't there anything to explore for her as a character other than getting involved in investigations?

The Alexis/Beckett relationship is one that has definitely regressed for me over the seasons.  Along with Lanie/Beckett.  It's really a shame that the writers haven't been able to do justice to these female relationships.  Even though it's happy happy between Alexis/Beckett on the show, it all feels quite superficial despite the familial relationship now.  Because they never bothered with the scenes to address the harder parts about their relationship and inject some depth, so the easiness doesn't feel earned.  No one ever said it had to be easy, and it shouldn't be, given Alexis' past reservations about Beckett especially since she was shot.  But they skipped right over it.  And that ship has probably sailed by now.  If there's turmoil coming up again for Caskett with something as big as a break up, maybe they can revisit old wounds between Alexis and Beckett, but I doubt it.

It's quite funny to think the writers are interested in writing a mentor relationship for Alexis with Hayley, when they weren't interested in doing the same for Alexis with Beckett, not since something like S2 anyway when they actually did that well.  The kind of advice Hayley is going to offer Alexis as another strong, female character (Beckett lite?) is probably going to be very similar to what Beckett would offer her, so why the need to go to a new character for that?  I don't mind Hayley taking on some plot related investigative role, but I don't really see the point to her getting involved with Alexis or Castle's personal life.  Even if Caskett are at odds, it doesn't mean that role has to be filled by Hayley.  But we'll see what this all means in reality.  Could be as superficial as Hayley throwing out a one liner telling Alexis to put herself on the line. ;)

[Toks] plays a really dynamic, fun character,” executive producer Alexi Hawley tells EW. “It’s a voice that the show doesn’t have

Really?  "Free spirited and quick witted".  Dynamic, fun.  Shouldn't that be Castle? ;)  Hayley is really sounding like the new Castle, while Castle becomes her Beckett.  Which just leaves me wanting the good, old Caskett dynamic.  But we'll see.

“This season is really about growing Molly up. She’s been playing the child for seven seasons and now she’s 21 years old. She’s a grown up. This year, she’s going to be more sophisticated. That relationship with her father will change because she’s not a little girl anymore.”

They've been saying that since, when S4? ;)    When Alexis started snipping at her concerned father when she said she'd graduate early to be with her boyfriend and study his major?  Still major eye roll at that.  Coincidentally also when my empathy for the character started decreasing because their idea of Alexis not being Daddy's little girl anymore seemed to involve her mostly snipping at him and disrespecting him, and not valuing his gently offered advice at all.  If that came from some idea of her being the "parent" in the relationship, they totally misjudged that.  Castle has always been self-deprecating about his role as a father, but give the guy some credit, and for his past record of laying down boundaries when need be.  Perhaps the change in Alexis was more jarring because she had been previously characterised as someone mature beyond her years, but when they started writing her as a bratty self-centred youth, the evolution left us confused even when you factor in growing pains and boys.   Let's just hope that the new showrunners' ideas about Alexis growing up prove to be more interesting and better judged than Marlowe's.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 6
Jon Huertas ‏@Jon_Huertas  

‘Member ep707? Espo/Ryan’s song 4 the wedding? On 9/1/15 U not only get 2 hear it but also C it! #officialvideo S7DVD

The wedding song was called #DefinitionOfLove and u’ll also be able to download it 9/18/15 !!!

Nathan Fillion ‏@NathanFillion  

I have seen this. Warning: there is no way to unsee so much awesome.

Too bad I don't suppose Caskett will be making a cameo in the music video.

I would call Ryan a Caskett shipper, but really not sure about Esposito anymore since he's always so snippy with Castle and doesn't seem to have a lot of trust in him like when he was a murder suspect or disappeared at his wedding.  It's a shame because Espo being really direct with Beckett about Castle in the S2 finale was a really good moment.

Going for the gansta vibe? ;)  Will be interesting to see if it's rap or a ballad.

The writers/producers definitely seem to have a massive blind spot where she's concerned and the ratings (7.21 hit the lowest for the season a 1.3) don't support the idea that Alexis is some huge draw to general viewers either. I find it perplexing that they seem to want to promote her so much.

I think the other lowest rated episodes have been the Bracken ones, so I guess ratings don't mean much to the writers.

And honestly, I am not sure how much they do mean.  If people didn't watch the episode, they didn't see how big a role Alexis played.  So, it's not necessarily a reflection of what they think of the plot.  It seems like it would be a reflection of how good/bad the previous episode was.  Unless it is people not watching because they saw the promo for the episode? Turned it off two minutes in? I'm not really sure.

Shallow moment here - don't care much for the facial hair on either of them in that pic.  Luke Danes was the last guy I know who could rock a soul patch and even he moved on from that. 

I chuckled at this comment from a lady called Susan on the EW article, she's not alone in this desire.

Susan nailed it!! Alexis should have been sent to Oxford in S5 and returned as a "fractional" regular (that's a term we're rolling with now, right??)

Based on everything we've read so far, I'm afraid the writers are going for the cliche "newly minted Captain Beckett sticks to the book while Castle and Hayley (Casley? Hastle?) step over the line to solve crimes." Wouldn't it be more fun to see Beckett giving them crap for bending the rules, only to find out it was her all along who sent Hayley to work with Castle, knowing that while she had to be even more careful to watch her step with 1PP, Castle's more unorthodox approach often got them the clues they needed. 

Edited by MaryM47
  • Love 2

The writers/producers definitely seem to have a massive blind spot where she's concerned and the ratings (7.21 hit the lowest for the season a 1.3) don't support the idea that Alexis is some huge draw to general viewers either.

I'd like to see how those ratings adjust and compare to older ratings. Is that a thing? Like adjusting ratings for inflation (or in this case, deflation, I guess). 15 years ago demo ratings were in the 8s and 9s. There was a lot less competition, for sure, but it's not like the quality of TV has really tanked like ratings would suggest.

My point is a downward trend is the norm. An older show, the general decrease in ratings across the board ... it would be a stretch to say that Alexis or Bracken is the sole reason 7x21 was a series low. I'd like to see more numbers to see how Castle compares to itself that just don't reveal how many 18-34 males are watching.

I realize that doesn't have any bearing on renewal, but I think it would make for a more accurate picture of the quality of the series.

Hahaha ... their name is Shay-Jean? Is Jean pronounced with a French accent so it's a portmanteau of Seamus and Jon?

I'll admit, I'm curious to see the song. Ryan's sassy "no song for you" line after Castle and Beckett announce they got married always makes me laugh.

Edited by McManda

Why are people more concerned about Hayley and Castle instead of Beckett and the new tech guy? Things have been wayyyyy too quiet on the other side in my opinion. I've always been more concerned about that. So many informative people have been quick to calm fans down when it comes to Hayley and Castle, heard nothing about Beckett's new BFF.

Why are people more concerned about Hayley and Castle instead of Beckett and the new tech guy? Things have been wayyyyy too quiet on the other side in my opinion. I've always been more concerned about that. So many informative people have been quick to calm fans down when it comes to Hayley and Castle, heard nothing about Beckett's new BFF.

Especially as he has been described as Beckett's 'confidant'

Double standards....??

Edited by BellyLaughter

Why are people more concerned about Hayley and Castle instead of Beckett and the new tech guy? 

Because we aren't getting tons of articles talking about the new tech guy, or seeing pictures of him? I think the bit about him being a confident for Beckett is the only information they've released. Once people start talking about him more, I'm sure people will worry.

However, I think the new tech guy isn't actually a tech guy and perhaps is involved in whatever it is that makes Beckett think she has to leave Castle to protect him. Like she has to do something undercover and he's her handler, just pretending to be a random techie at the precinct.  Not that that makes any scenes of Beckett interacting with him any more appealing.  But it may be why we haven't heard a lot about him, they are trying to surprise us with something.

Edited by KaveDweller

As for what's happening on the advisory panel, I can tell you for sure people are not happy. Only a handful of people care for the PI storyline and less care about Alexis.

I to am confused when Beckett was actively shown as a mentor to Alexis, maybe it's all happening offscreen like the "it'sprivate" moments?

I imagine Alexis will be on the show a very long time, even after Beckett is gone. It's called Castle after all not Beckett. So we'll transition into the "Castles" solving crime while enjoying a little "foreplay" & KB will be just a memory in Richard's bedroom, since her picture isn't even on the piano with the "family", not even their wedding picture.

As for Hayley being an older sister, I remember Stana saying that that's the type of relationship Alexis & Kate have. Weird how now they don't even have that.

And last but not least, I find it truly insulting & sexist how ABC is promoting PI stupid Castle but ignoring how Beckett is now Captain. Isn't it 2015?

And the new tech guy isn't in some way replacing Castle in the Beckett equation becoming a confidant to her?? Seems like a double standard to me...

No. Because Castle gave up the PI gig (after lying & keeping it secret for months) and now not only is he going back to it, he seems to be bringing Alexis & a criminal along with him. Also I bet Ryan will be working extra time for Castle.

But sure if we find out that Tech guy is a regular, and is a mentor to Alexis I'll be equally upset with his position. As of right now, he seems to be replacing Tori who is gone.

Edited by Castle89

Per the writer of the episode, 8.03 is called "What Lies Beneath..."

I thought Sunkrish was originally announced as a fractional regular, just like Toks? 

I really hope the writers know what they're doing. I've mostly reconciled myself to the break-up, to new characters and evolving relationships, but the rumblings of hardly any shared scenes between Stana and Nathan for the first three episodes has me somewhat perturbed. A drastic reduction in quality Caskett time really won't sit well with this viewer. 

Edited by metaphor
  • Love 1

Per the writer of the episode, 8.03 is called "What Lies Beneath..."

I thought Sunkrish was originally announced as a fractional regular, just like Toks?

I really hope the writers know what they're doing. I've mostly reconciled myself to the break-up, to new characters and evolving relationships, but the rumblings of hardly any shared scenes between Stana and Nathan for the first three episodes has me somewhat perturbed. A drastic reduction in quality Caskett time really won't sit well with this viewer.

I feel the same way....I really, really want to like it, I hope I do but honestly I'm yet to read any spoiler that has me anything but bummed about the future direction of this show.

And if the advisory panel feedback truely is negative about choices they are making this season but they are forging ahead regardless that only inflates my concern.

Edited by BellyLaughter

And last but not least, I find it truly insulting & sexist how ABC is promoting PI stupid Castle but ignoring how Beckett is now Captain. Isn't it 2015?

No. Because Castle gave up the PI gig (after lying & keeping it secret for months) and now not only is he going back to it, he seems to be bringing Alexis & a criminal along with him. Also I bet Ryan will be working extra time for Castle.

But sure if we find out that Tech guy is a regular, and is a mentor to Alexis I'll be equally upset with his position. As of right now, he seems to be replacing Tori who is gone.

Castle didn't lie about anything, he kept quiet about getting his PI license until he had it. That's a surprise, not a lie. You make it sound way worse than the reality.

From my understanding the tech guy was described in the same way Hayley has been. A 'fractional regular', no?

It will be Castle and Hayley, Sunkrish and Beckett this season. Except people only seem to be panicking about Castle and Hayley, and I was curious why.

You may be upset about Hayley being a mentor to Alexis, but the reason they responded to fan outcry over Hayley was because people were concerned she would break up Castle and Beckett. Seems bizarre people don't share that same concern with the tech dude.

Edited by Chado

I feel the same. My actual biggest criticism of season 7 was the reduced Caskett on-screen time together. I thought the quality was mostly great last season (which saved it), but I had noticed early on how they had consciously reduced their time together on-screen. Not sure if people noticed, but most episodes only had 5-10 minutes of Caskett together out of a 42 minute episode. It's a big change from how it used to be.

Given the break up of their relationship, it's really hard to get excited about this season currently.

From my understanding the tech guy was described in the same way Hayley has been. A 'fractional regular', no?

No.  A quote from Alexi Hawley, "At the end of the day, we came into this season wanting to shake things up,” new co-showrunner Alexi Hawley told TVLine at ABC’s Television Critics Association press tour party. “The show has been doing a great job with what’s its been doing, but now we’ve been given an opportunity to really sort of add some energy into it” — in part by putting Beckett (played by Stana Katic) in the captain’s office, but also by introducing both a new series regular (The Neighbors‘ Toks Olagundoye, as security specialist Hayley Shipton) and a recurring player (The Walking Dead’s Sunkrish Bala, as tech analyst Vikram Singh)."  This is from an article at TvLine dated August 4.

Castle didn't lie about anything, he kept quiet about getting his PI license until he had it. That's a surprise, not a lie. You make it sound way worse than the reality.

It will be Castle and Hayley, Sunkrish and Beckett this season. Except people only seem to be panicking about Castle and Hayley, and I was curious why.

You may be upset about Hayley being a mentor to Alexis, but the reason they responded to fan outcry over Hayley was because people were concerned she would break up Castle and Beckett. Seems bizarre people don't share that same concern with the tech dude.

Yes he did lie about what he was doing everyday. Not to mention spending time & money furnishing an office.

He's a confidant & not her new partner as Hayley is to Castle, or so it seems. Also not a series regular. As just posted by other member. And no it won't be Beckett & Sunkrish, & why I wonder isn't Beckett or him mentioned? Because they want all focus on Castle again this season. Oh also Alexis.

Edited by Castle89

Starting to get a wee bit tense in here with overtones of Castle versus Beckett. So in the interest of peace and harmony, let's nip this in the bud right now.

Castle has done questionable stuff; Beckett has done questionable stuff. And a round of Kumbaya was sang by all!

Any questions, PM me.

Can I just say what a disappointment it is that you guys don't have a separate Spoiler discussion thread from a Spoiler's Only thread that would list only the spoilers or links to spoilery articles.  

I saw the weird promo about Castle going back to the PI business and caved and decided I needed to know what the bleep was going on, you know to prepare myself so I don't get ambushed but there is no way to catch up on any of the spoilers without basically going back and rereading months of conversation.  Sigh.  It's like there's no joining in on the conversation this late in the game now. 

I feel the same. My actual biggest criticism of season 7 was the reduced Caskett on-screen time together. I thought the quality was mostly great last season (which saved it), but I had noticed early on how they had consciously reduced their time together on-screen. Not sure if people noticed, but most episodes only had 5-10 minutes of Caskett together out of a 42 minute episode. It's a big change from how it used to be.

Yeah I noticed quite a few fans did, it was as if they were having a test run of exactly this kind of scenario where the writers want to keep them working separately, the PI arc and the Castle mythology were prime examples of them trying to achieve that aim.

I want Castle and Beckett on-screen together investigating more often than they aren't and having them on screen for under 20 minutes doesn't cut it.

It's a big change I agree but something I fear fans are going to have to get used to quickly I wouldn't be that shocked if we get quite a few episodes where their joint time barely makes 15 minutes. 

Why are people more concerned about Hayley and Castle instead of Beckett and the new tech guy?

Because although TV has become much more diverse in the past couple of decades, a white guy can be with a PoC woman but a PoC man can't be with a white woman.

I'm willing to be corrected. But your examples should be within the past two years and the show must be American.

• Love 1

Yeah I noticed quite a few fans did, it was as if they were having a test run of exactly this kind of scenario where the writers want to keep them working separately, the PI arc and the Castle mythology were prime examples of them trying to achieve that aim.

I want Castle and Beckett on-screen together investigating more often than they aren't and having them on screen for under 20 minutes doesn't cut it.

And this is the problem, the show is based around them, a couple of mins per ep does not cut it. I get there are reasons but it doesn't mean I have to like and it doesn't mean it will be popular.

I don't think a " happy ending" is in jeopardy. I think it's pretty much confirmed. It's all the stuff in the middle that's in question.

I don't think that is in dispute, however spending 21 episodes getting to that point is stupid. And when that time comes will anyone be left to be interested?

Edited by Brit Babe
  • Love 2

And this is the problem, the show is based around them, a couple of mins per ep does not cut it. I get there are reasons but it doesn't mean I have to like and it doesn't mean it will be popular.

I don't think that is in dispute, however spending 21 episodes getting to that point is stupid. And when that time comes will anyone be left to be interested?

Or still believe in the story they wanted the happy ending too?? I'm guessing ABC won't care too much if they don't.... Edited by BellyLaughter

Thanks Thak for the excerpt clarifying the recurring/fractional confusion.

However, I think the new tech guy isn't actually a tech guy and perhaps is involved in whatever it is that makes Beckett think she has to leave Castle to protect him. Like she has to do something undercover and he's her handler, just pretending to be a random techie at the precinct.  Not that that makes any scenes of Beckett interacting with him any more appealing.  But it may be why we haven't heard a lot about him, they are trying to surprise us with something.

The only person I want Beckett confiding in (as I presume this is a serious matter) is Castle so that doesn't thrill me either but my guess about Vikram's role hasn't changed, I believe Kate starts to panic about Bracken she decides to confide in him because she doesn't want to get Castle in danger or get the boys in trouble and so the new tech guy is the solution.  They agree to form a secret partnership to investigate for the events of the two parter and then the shit hits the fan and she ends up having to tell Castle (and everyone) in any case. If I'm correct then it would explain why we've not heard much about what the guy is doing because they want to keep those details of the case and his precise involvement a surprise. 

Edited by verdana
And honestly, I am not sure how much they do mean.  If people didn't watch the episode, they didn't see how big a role Alexis played.  So, it's not necessarily a reflection of what they think of the plot.  It seems like it would be a reflection of how good/bad the previous episode was.  Unless it is people not watching because they saw the promo for the episode? Turned it off two minutes in? I'm not really sure.

I've just realised that Sleeper was prior to that so I couldn't blame fans being put off watching the following week after that awful episode lol. The demo had been hovering around 1.5/1.4 since March but 1.3 was the lowest along with 7.11 Castle PI but like you I'm not sure how much you can read into all this. 

Because although TV has become much more diverse in the past couple of decades, a white guy can be with a PoC woman but a PoC man can't be with a white woman.

I'm willing to be corrected. But your examples should be within the past two years and the show must be American.

I don't think that's it at all. People are having problems with Castle and Hayley, no? The exact scenario you claim TV fans are fine with.

I do get your point, but I don't think it has anything to do with this situation.

Edited by Chado

I thought there was only one promo so far? Several seconds long of Castle as P.I. We had spoiler interviews about both Castle's and Beckett's storylines (Bracken). If there were 2-3 promos and all about Castle, then I'd see the point. But with one blink and you miss it promo it's hardly sexist or skewed. The only thing I could notice and conclude from it is that it's not Caskett. But it would have been the same conclusion if these several seconds were only about Beckett's captaincy.

Edited by catsrpeopletoo
  • Love 1

As well as the first promo that highlights Castle P.I. and not much else (it is short after all) I think the poster might be thinking of the ABC home page for the show which has taken its main pic from the Hollander's Woods award dinner, but only highlights Castle and Alexis,  and most of the screen shots for the episodes listed have Castle on his own, and Beckett is in only one, and then just with the boyz, so you could be mistaken into thinking they weren't actually a couple, and yet the new showrunners have repeated Marlowe's claim that Caskett is the core of the show.

Conspiracy theorists could begin to believe some of the rumours that we are being prepared for a S9 without Beckett. Apart from Hawley's BTS pic showing Castle and Beckett together on the last day of filming for "XY" all the other BTS pics, filming info, and tweets from guests do not show or mention them together, although the brief synopsis we have had for the two-parter does indicate that they will be apart for the sake of the story, but then there was Castle and Alexis at a crime scene during 8x03 "What lies Beneath" so not a lot of evidence yet of Captain "hands-on" Beckett working cases with her husband. And now we learn that instead of building on Beckett's relationship with Alexis, now that she is her step mom, the new showrunners have decided that Hayley will supplant Beckett as a mentor for Alexis, as well as supplanting her as Castle's work partner.

I agree that the Caskett point is worryingly missing from spoilers etc. I mentioned that. But the poster made a specific claim that "ABC is promoting PI stupid Castle but ignoring how Beckett is now Captain", and I don't think it's valid. What would have changed with the Caskett angle if the promo was about Beckett as the captain? And wouldn't then people ask why the promo was about Beckett? So I don't see the point. They could have avoided all that by making the promo about Caskett, but obviously they prefer hiding this part from being spoiled, so they're left with one or another option. ABC always prefers the lighthearted angle when promoting the show, and well, it's Castle after all, so they go with what they have about Castle, and it's the P.I. storyline.

I have no clue about what screencaps ABC chooses for the site, I never go there. So can't weigh in on the conspiracy over there.

Edited by catsrpeopletoo

If they are preparing for a S9 without Beckett I think they are gonna have to come up with something a hell of a lot more imaginative than Castle solving crimes with his daughter!

They need to attempt to survive a season of splitting up Castle and Beckett first before they think about a season 9

@westwingfan Beckett is hardly 'step mom' to Alexis once she breaks up with Castle in the season premiere.

Edited by Chado
  • Love 1

Thanks Thak for the excerpt clarifying the recurring/fractional confusion.

The only person I want Beckett confiding in (as I presume this is a serious matter) is Castle so that doesn't thrill me either but my guess about Vikram's role hasn't changed, I believe Kate starts to panic about Bracken she decides to confide in him because she doesn't want to get Castle in danger or get the boys in trouble and so the new tech guy is the solution.  They agree to form a secret partnership to investigate for the events of the two parter and then the shit hits the fan and she ends up having to tell Castle (and everyone) in any case. If I'm correct then it would explain why we've not heard much about what the guy is doing because they want to keep those details of the case and his precise involvement a surprise.

I just hope they don't start off Beckett's job as captain by having her get involved in something that is perhaps unethical or not the most legal way to investigate.

I said "promoting" but didn't mean just one of the TV promo spots. I meant the Twitter, Facebook, and yes the official ABC Castle page. Everything is about Castle & doesn't even mention Captain Beckett (unless I missed it). It's as if her being captain is no big deal, yet Castle being a PI is. As for the Castle page on ABC it's been lacking Beckett since the end of S7, and the emphasis has been heavy on Castle, and barely on Caskett. But that's understandable because it seems the poster above was right & they've been "slowly" weaning us off Caskett so that when they spit it wouldn't be so sudden to make people change channels.

This isn't a criticism of one character or another, but of ABC as a whole when it comes to the game plan for S8, & how they'll be promoting it.