Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Just now, Sakura12 said:

Okay, I'll check it out mostly because I'm interested in the mermaid lore. Do they talk about it at all? 

Yes, but they're parsing it out very slowly. I do like that the two marine biologists act like how actual scientists would and want to learn more about the species in a learning way and not in an evil way. (There are other people for that.)

4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Wait....what? 

I fell behind on iZombie for the past five episodes. So, I guess Peyton's out? 

Not that I'm horribly disappointed, because Peyton hasn't been used well at all. The only time I've liked Peyton is when she's been a friend to Liv, Ravi, or Major. 

Oh man I don't want them to kill Peyton but they either kill her or they just have break up with Ravi and stay in DC cause Peyton said last night to Ravi and Liv she would be back 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Oh man I don't want them to kill Peyton but they either kill her or they just have break up with Ravi and stay in DC cause Peyton said last night to Ravi and Liv she would be back 

She said it but in a really ominous way. The person I was watching with and I both immediately said "well, she's not coming back." It was like every cop on a cop show/movie who announces his impending retirement, 99% time he won't live to see it.

3 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

She said it but in a really ominous way. The person I was watching with and I both immediately said "well, she's not coming back." It was like every cop on a cop show/movie who announces his impending retirement, 99% time he won't live to see it.

Yes she did! When she said it oh god I don't like this. I hope they don't kill her cause Liv and Ravi lost someone they cared about last night, losing Peyton like that would just be worse 

• Love 3

Which do you hear?  This is the new "Is the dress blue and black or yellow and gold" debate only with sound.  And for extra pain, look at the options to hear and weep. 

Whelp.  I got Laurel but my friend SWEARS all she hears is Yanny. So lucky!

IDK how this is up for debate because Laurel and Yanny don't even sound the same. LOL.

I hear Laurel, BTW.

16 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

I hear Laurel so clearly on both speakers and headphones that I'm somewhat confused as to how this is a thing. I know it is but how can hearing be so different? 

9 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I think it just depends on the frequency you're most tuned to - I hear Laurel the most - it's a deeper tone and the most obvious to me, but I can also hear the faint, high-pitched "Yanny" too - just not as well.

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing as the explanation.  Also that age and gender can make a difference in what tones we hear best as we age.

I hear Yanny, but maybe my brain rejects the word Laurel out of spite ;) 

7 hours ago, Kymmi said:

I assume you are talking about "Sirens" - so it's good?  I didn't make it through the first episode, but I liked the concept for the show.  I'm gunshy on new shows, so tend to wait to see if they will stick around.

I really like it as well. The actress playing the mermaid is great, and the rest of the cast are quite likable as well. The lore they're establishing is interesting, and, as @calliope1975 said, I like that they come at it from a scientific angle, as the main human characters are marine biologists, while also keeping things mystical enough to have some mystery. Really, I think Freeform gets a bad rep. Not that its HBO or anything, but I would say that none of their shows I've watched have sucked as much as a lot of shows I've tried on the big networks. At least most of their shows seem to be actually trying to do something interesting, and not just appealing to the lowest common denominator. 

What is everyone watching this summer, especially as far as new shows go? 

That Yanny thing is giving me flashbacks to when one of my masters classes was interrupted by everyone arguing about that dress being two different colors. It took us an hour to get back on track!

• Love 2

I'm an old, and I hear Yanny. But I didn't play with the bass or anything to see if I might hear something different.

A few years ago at work we tried that test where after a certain age you no longer hear specific frequencies. Us olds were hating on the younger people in my department for a bit.

• Love 1

In the article I posted, there’s links to some pitch-shifted versions.  When I listen to the ones pitched lower, I hear Yanny.  When I listen to the ones pitched higher, I hear Laurel.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

In the article I posted, there’s links to some pitch-shifted versions.  When I listen to the ones pitched lower, I hear Yanny.  When I listen to the ones pitched higher, I hear Laurel.

I can't hear anything but Laurel.  :(

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

So, all of the network's fall schedules are coming out now and I am pleased that my Wednesday nights will finally not be empty or less of a priority to tune in live!

Seriously, the last couple of years, I've struggled to find stuff to watch on Wednesdays. This year had been a turnaround with The Amazing Race being on Wednesdays, and I even tuned into 9-1-1. But other than that? I've wanted a good Wednesday schedule for me, and it seems like this upcoming season is it, with ABC's Single Parents and A Million Little Things, as well as Chicago Med (maybe). 

So, I'm just waiting for The CW's new schedule to come out and then I can accurately plan what to watch live and what to watch later. 

This news about The CW upfronts and one of their new shows made me chuckle

The CW traditionally brings the stars of its new shows to the network’s upfront presentation, and I hear that also was the plan for Levi. (In the Dark is about a blind woman, Murphy, played by Perry Mattfield, and her dog, Pretzel, played by Levi) However, the CW did not make its new series pickups until last Friday. That is when calls to talent are made to arrange their travel to the network’s upfront the next Thursday.

The problem is, Levi is Canadian as In the Darkfilms in Toronto. There are special procedures for animals, and it turned out that a visa could not be secured in time for Levi to make it to the CW presentation, leaving Mattfield to represent the show by herself. Kudos to the CW for keeping things authentic — instead of just getting another Golden Retriever to walk with Mattfield onstage today, the network made a decision that it would either be the real four-legged star of the series or no dog at all.

• Love 1

So, so cute.

Also, I watched the trailer for CBS' God Friended Me yesterday and I think I'm genuinely going to tune in. Not live, now that Supergirl has the Sunday at 8pm timeslot, but it looks like an actually good show. Think Jane the Virgin or Crazy Ex, in the sense that the title will turn people away but the show is really not that bad. But I fear it'll turn into another Kevin (Probably) Saves the World and Deception for me.

And then shows like FBI or The Neighborhood will get renewed. Nothing against FBI, but it looks like a generic law enforcement show; the only difference is that it has a female lead. 

7 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

The trailers for the two new fall CW shows are out.

The Charmed one looks....well....not good. 

It looks like they made some good changes, like the origin story and setting up a mystery, and some very bad ones, like the writing and the acting. 

The trailer reads very young and like it doesn't know if it's a drama or a shit comedy. They should have stuck with one. 

• Love 2

The middle sister's acting is pretty terrible, I'm not gonna lie. Particularly, the scene in that trailer when she freezes the cafe (without her hands, which deviates from the original, so another point off) and her line delivery and angry face is pretty terrible. Also, yeah, it's hard to tell the two sisters apart at times, and Mel's girlfriend looks exactly like them as well, so at first watch, I thought she froze her sister.

Yeah, I'm torn. Charmed was my favourite show and it's still a very big part of my life, but the reboot, I know, is going to be incomparable to the original. And the original show had a lot of flaws as well! 

The sisterly dynamic better make up for the atrocious writing. Also, I hope at least the other two sisters can act. I know Madeleine can act, as she was awesome on The Tomorrow People.

• Love 2

Am I the only one that is feeling relieved that this TV season is almost over?  I can’t even figure out why I’m even feeling that way though, since I’m only even watching a couple of shows (semi) live anymore.  

Just me? *crickets*

• Love 3

Yeah, that Charmed trailer didnt exactly blow me away, but I will still give it a shot. Plenty of shows I ended up really liking had crappy pilots, so maybe it just needs to grow into itself? Charmed was really probably not a very good show, but it has a special place in my heart, so I do hope this one lives up to its potential. 

Still trying to figure out what to try this Summer. Nothing is really standing out yet, but there have been a few new shows with potential. 

4 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Am I the only one that is feeling relieved that this TV season is almost over?  I can’t even figure out why I’m even feeling that way though, since I’m only even watching a couple of shows (semi) live anymore.  

Just me? *crickets*

Not just you.  This was a tough season for me - I didn't find new shows that I love, only lost a few, and struggled with Arrow.

• Love 2
(edited)

Warning: Rant coming. I've been dealing with this for over a week so I'm beyond fed up.  Amazon.com sucks! After years of being a loyal customer, they deleted all my reviews and took away my community privileges and won't tell me why. I've probably posted less than 20 reviews in 16 years and have never violated the rules but they won't listen. Do not trust them, they will turn on you without reason and treat you like garbage and/or a criminal.

ETA: Not 100% sure what triggered it  but my reviews and reviewing privileges have been restored.

Edited by JamieLynn832002
  • Love 1

For those following the Allison Mack story, this article does a nice job of tracking her involvement from initiate to senior leader.  It's both sad and scary:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/how-smallvilles-allison-mack-went-actress-sex-cult-slaver-1112107

I think about how they targeted the Vancouver tv and film industry, and wonder if it was 10 years later whether any of the Arrowverse actresses would have been caught up in it.

I grew up in the Albany area and my mom still lives there.  The headquarters are deep in the suburbs, close to the airport--I had no idea what they were and they look like an office park.  

• Love 2

Well I can report that Once Upon A Time ended as it began:

Spoiler

Regina winning and never paying for her many crimes.

On the plus side Arrow’s finale looks like a cheerful and fun filled adventure in comparison. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Well I can report that Once Upon A Time ended as it began:

Spoiler

Regina winning and never paying for her many crimes.

On the plus side Arrow’s finale looks like a cheerful and fun filled adventure in comparison. 

....... oh dear.    

I don't regret quitting when I did.

• Love 3
(edited)

I tuned in to OUaT to see Emma and Hook, and

Spoiler

they got a few seconds and everyone applauded Regina. 

It was truly awful.  Even worse because of the BTS stuff that was rumoured.

And then there was Agents of Shield

Spoiler

Fitz presumably dead and Coulson dying

Yeah,  Arrow is looking pretty good right now.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Janina Gavankar looked perfect, classy and gorgeous.  It was fun trying to pick out people in the audience that I could recognise, Gina Torres and the guy who plays Louis Litt, Elton John, the Beckhams, Amal Clooney also looking amazing.

I really liked Meghan's dress, thought it hit a good note between modern and traditional. And of course, Queen Mary's tiara.

Re OUaT: The rumor is that one of the reasons Jennifer Morrison didn't re-sign for this season is because of LP's behaviour.

I thought the ending was ridiculous, everyone praising Regina to the skies and 20 seconds of Emma, also telling Regina how amazing she had become, as Regina graciously excuses her lateness. If that's a reflection of what went on behind the scenes, yikes.  I stuck through to the end but it's a merciful death at this point.

• Love 3