Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E08: Uncut Hems

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

The wonky cone boobs took away from Laurence’s dress, but it looked beautiful from the back.

Yeah, on the runway walk-through I hated that look, especially the boobs. But when they showed it in more detail, the back was quite nice, with the belt loops encircling the back. She did a nice job. I still hated it. 

• Like 16
9 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Julia Fox generally shows up on gossip/trash sites looking like she just crawled naked through a pile of laundry, so I was surprised by her lack of enthusiasm for Anna's look. 

Am I misremembering? It seemed she and Elaine were the ones gushing over Anna's thing.

• Like 8
49 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

Am I misremembering? It seemed she and Elaine were the ones gushing over Anna's thing.

She was.  Guest judge actually said she would wear Anna's piece of crap creation.  But looking back at her taste (or lack thereof) in clothes I'm not surprised. 

• Like 15
  • LOL 2

I think Anna's look would have been more interesting if she had used different colors of denim to create "stripes" instead of a monocolor outfit. (Also if it were better made, but given the time constraints it was what it was.)

The only thing I remember from the previous denim challenge unprompted was that Victorya made a long jacket/dress because her long jacket/dress was praised by the judges in the previous challenge with her avant garde collaboration with Jillian. But that time it didn't come off well. Also, people did stuff with little red "Levi's" tags as a design element.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

So why didn't Anna just rinse her fabric like everyone else?  It was already white.

So I have a theory that Anna didn't believe Korto when she told her that she needed to rinse the whole garment.  I think she planned to ignore that advice and just dress her model in the bleachy garments until the other designers (and maybe production) stepped in and set her straight.   

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
11 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

The wonky cone boobs took away from Laurence’s dress, but it looked beautiful from the back. I was surprised to have loved Korto’s design, because I haven’t enjoyed many of her looks this season. I thought it looked very chic and I loved the double sleeve. I, too, loved Bishme’s jacket and Brittany’s outfit. Prajje was very lucky this week- his look was too much.

so i guess laurence wanted the boob area to be distracting? otherwise, she could easily have lined that area with more denim layers, no?

(edited)

I thought Anna's dress idea had real potential, if she'd had another 3 days to work on it. I just don't get the Anna hate. It reminded me a lopsided tiered cake. It could have been really cool. At least she had an idea with interest and merit, unlike Prajje. Ugh. Seriously, UGH. I like Anna's ideas and vision, so her personality doesn't grate on me. 

I love me some Rami and I want him to dress Rania, Queen of Jordan every single day, but his aesthetic has become stale. He's in his wheelhouse dressing women in their 40s, when the show wants him to dress 20 year olds. His attempts at fresh and young just fail. And I love him. It hurts me every single time I see him putting together something as dowdy as that outfit. Not even Mimi could have sold that. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 8
15 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

Oh, I was gonna be out, out, out if they actually sent Rami home.

These guest judges should not have this much input. 'Going viral just going to the grocery store' is a qualification? I'll bet I could go viral in that outfit, and not for good reasons.

This season is pissing me off. Why is it such an ill fitting dress on a couture show?

Right there with you.  I am soooooooooooooooo over Korto and all her talking heads.  Rami is one of the few left that I actually enjoy watching.  

• Like 20
  • Applause 1
23 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I thought Anna's dress idea had real potential, if she'd had another 3 days to work on it. I just don't get the Anna hate. It reminded me a lopsided tiered cake. It could have been really cool. At least she had an idea with interest and merit, unlike Prajje. Ugh. Seriously, UGH. I like Anna's ideas and vision, so her personality doesn't grate on me. 

I love me some Rami and I want him to dress Rania, Queen of Jordan every single day, but his aesthetic has become stale. He's in his wheelhouse dressing women in their 40s, when the show wants him to dress 20 year olds. His attempts at fresh and young just fail. And I love him. It hurts me every single time I see him putting together something as dowdy as that outfit. Not even Mimi could have sold that. 

None of the judges are 20 year olds so I don’t think that is what they are looking for or want. They do like things that are different and not seen before but they also want it well made which is difficult given the time limits. They also could have brought back PR juniors if they are more interested in teen/college age fashion. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

So I have a theory that Anna didn't believe Korto when she told her that she needed to rinse the whole garment.  I think she planned to ignore that advice and just dress her model in the bleachy garments until the other designers (and maybe production) stepped in and set her straight. 

Anna is an f'ing liar who lies. I'm sure she was going to just pretend she rinsed her bleached denim, because Korto told her when no one else was there. When it was brought up at their ice cream social, Anna knew the jig was up. Waaah, poor me, I did this in only five hours. Gah. I really want to swear right now.

Elaine is looking like mutton dressed as lamb. She's not all that old, but she looks like she's trying to be younger and cooler than she is. 

I don't follow much gossip, so I think I may have heard Julie Fox's name, but I had no idea who she was. The first thing on google was that she was a Kanye ex. I said 'yep, that tracks."

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

wanted to add that it really disappointed me when Korto said that she told someone she was ready to go all 'Rosa Parks … and Martin Luther King

Oh yeah. Sorry, Korto, not their style. Unless you meant you were going to sit down and not move, wth? I’d wear her outfit, though, and bless her for telling Anna not to be burning her model. Obviously, Anna didn’t care.

Cant wait until CS grows up and doesn’t gloat over his shop, er, atelier to other, less famous designers. Dude.

I believe Christian’s save of Rami will be my favorite moment of this entire season. Unless, you know, Rami wins. 🎁

• Like 12
1 minute ago, buttersister said:

Cant wait until CS grows up and doesn’t gloat over his shop, er, atelier to other, less famous designers. Dude.

Yeah, and he's also getting really full of himself in his workroom critiques. And his swanning about is getting old. Maybe he can't help himself, but he seems to think that is his "signature." It doesn't have to be. He has plenty of good ideas which can be his "signature."

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
20 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Yeah, and he's also getting really full of himself in his workroom critiques. And his swanning about is getting old. Maybe he can't help himself, but he seems to think that is his "signature." It doesn't have to be. He has plenty of good ideas which can be his "signature."

Going to Christian's store was probably production's idea. Why go all the way to Connecticut to load up on jeans? They could have done that in Brooklyn. 

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
15 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Going to Christian's store was probably production's idea. Why go all the way to Connecticut to load up on jeans? They could have done that in Brooklyn. 

That location opened in 2022, so I'm sure this was seen as a good way to promote the place. What I'm wondering is what is up with his gorgeous spot in Manhattan, which has been 'temporarily closed' for a while now.

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
3 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

What I'm wondering is what is up with his gorgeous spot in Manhattan, which has been 'temporarily closed' for a while now.

Are they doing massive remodeling or something? I remember it being gorgeous, but seriously small. Maybe's he outgrown it and is looking for a new place.

• Like 3
(edited)

The NYC store, The Curated NYC,  is 'temporarily closed', it was a multibrand boutique, and included a lot of different clothing and houseware lines.  Last year Christian opened a store in Connecticut, called The Collective West.  New store is in Westport, CT.   I suspect they went to Connecticut because that's where Christian's store is.   

I had tears in my eyes last night when Christian saved Rami.   I still wonder how anyone could like Laurance's dress with the empty chest pointy cups.    Anna's creation was just as awful. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, carrps said:

Are they doing massive remodeling or something? I remember it being gorgeous, but seriously small. Maybe's he outgrown it and is looking for a new place.

I want to say that it might have been an asset he and Brad Walsh were fighting over in their divorce but I may be Mandela Effect-ing that memory.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
17 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Bishme's coat was amazing. On the subject of coats, I am sick of the oversized puffer coats that seem to make a regular appearance on the runway.

The best talking head of the episode was Laurence talking about exactly how many puffer coats are they going to make this season of the show.

• Like 11
8 minutes ago, BloggerAloud said:

The best talking head of the episode was Laurence talking about exactly how many puffer coats are they going to make this season of the show

It does seem rather lazy. You get a lot of "drama" (if you're into that sort of thing) without a lot of technical difficulty. Fit? Shmit!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The NYC store, The Curated NYC,  is 'temporarily closed', it was a multibrand boutique, and included a lot of different clothing and houseware lines.  Last year Christian opened a store in Connecticut, called The Collective West.  New store is in Westport, CT.

Get Out! I did not know that! I'm a hop. skip and a jump away!

Now,  if I only had the budget 🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Like many others I'm very happy that Rami was saved, though he shouldn't have been the one to be aufed. I rarely understand the judging on this show.

To wit, the bullseye boobs on Laurance's dress. Fucking hideous.

Bishme's coat was amazing and I actually liked the dress underneath. Korto's look should have been the winner. It was innovative and the way she dyed the fabric was beautiful. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think it was also a way to promote Christian's partnership with Gloria Vanderbilt on a line of jeans, etc., and also a good way to get rid of all those old GV jeans that were probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere (and, as someone said - clean out that one room in Christian's store).

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • I was exited for this challenge, since I spent a long time trying to find a similar pair of jeans Christian made where denim jacket sleeves were the leg openings. (it was 2006 and I was like 20 years old, okay)
  • I hate one day challenges (I repeat again and again)
  • I liked Prajje's look just fine. Similar to all black outfits, denim can have a hard time reading the details on a television screen, so I think his look would come off better in real life. Bishme's was kinda boring, to be honest. The jacket saved him.
  • Kara Saun and Anna had the two worst looks for me. I actually appreciated what Anna was going for more so, even though I'm a Kara fanboy.
  • Korto had a strong showing, but her skirt looked like bike shorts to me for some reason. 
  • Rami's top was good, but I agreed with the judges that his bottom was awful in this fabrication. Oh well, he'll be back back back again.
  • Like 6
(edited)
20 minutes ago, candall said:

I'm just keenly frustrated because I think it's an unfair disadvantage.  People come in all different shapes and sizes--the one that best showcases clothing designs on the runway is the coatrack model.  There aren't any 5'2" models in the mix just to even out the statuesque numbers, even though most women aren't up around six feet tall.

Pfaaa.

It's bothered me for awhile, but I'm hesitant to speak out as I'm afraid I'll misspeak (misstype) and it will come out wrong. Thank you for stating in a coherent, yet kind way. 

Edited by BAForever
Clarity
  • Like 13
  • Love 1

Unlike a lot of people here, I like Nina.  I hope she's okay, because it seems odd that she'd be out on a "planned absence" for two consecutive weeks on a relatively short series.  In the past there has sometimes been at least a quick explanation - "X is in LA", or even those weird Sheldon-esque (How I Met your Mother) Heidi on a screen episodes.

Does anyone have any news as to where she is?

• Like 7
11 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

until the other designers (and maybe production) stepped in and set her straight.   

I absolutely think production said something to Anna. Because she was pouting in her ice cream which is what caused Pradje to ask what was bothering her. I suspect production pulled her aside and said "you cannot burn your model tomorrow."

Overall this was one of the better runways I've seen on the show. Even the losing looks had merit. 

That "celebrity" judge was awful.

Poor Rami, I think his client base is not what the judges are looking for and he knows that. I knew Christian was going to save him but it may have been kinder to let him leave. He's trying to be something he's not when there's really nothing wrong with what he does irl. 

I may be in the minority but I love Christian. I think his critiques are very spot on and he makes me laugh.

• Like 23
(edited)

The Siriano Save would've been more of a surprise if we hadn't already seen Christian asking Rami if he really wants to be there on the "coming up" bits in at least two episodes already, which we haven't seen actually happen yet.

Plus Christian kind of owed him, after telling Rami "you have to make this skirt" when Rami was wavering about it during the walk through.

Edited by Fake Jan Brady
  • Like 4
(edited)

I have no fashion sense or knowledge, so my references are pop culture:

Laurence's design: The wedding dress fitting scene in The Proposal where Sandra Bullock doesn't have boobs to fill out Betty White's gown. 

Anna's design: Flashback to General Larry Platt's American Idol classic, "Pants on the Ground."

Korto's design: Kimmy Gibler called & wants her outfit back; please add a hair scrunchie. 

Edited by GeorgiaRai
  • LOL 9
14 hours ago, dleighg said:

As a teen of the seventies, and a child of the sixties, I raised an eyebrow at the extended description of "what tie dye is" with the rubber bands, etc. 

Yea, I was so confused by everyone acting like they'd never heard of tie dye before.

10 hours ago, Leeds said:

Unlike a lot of people here, I like Nina.  I hope she's okay, because it seems odd that she'd be out on a "planned absence" for two consecutive weeks on a relatively short series.  In the past there has sometimes been at least a quick explanation - "X is in LA", or even those weird Sheldon-esque (How I Met your Mother) Heidi on a screen episodes.

Does anyone have any news as to where she is?

I just assume she had covid.

• Like 10
9 hours ago, Blueboxes said:

I absolutely think production said something to Anna. Because she was pouting in her ice cream which is what caused Pradje to ask what was bothering her. I suspect production pulled her aside and said "you cannot burn your model tomorrow."

Overall this was one of the better runways I've seen on the show. Even the losing looks had merit. 

That "celebrity" judge was awful. 

I may be in the minority but I love Christian. I think his critiques are very spot on and he makes me laugh.

I love him too and his schtick makes me laugh.

• Like 4
On 7/28/2023 at 5:55 AM, BAForever said:

Agree with all comments- what a shitshow judging was. Prajje should have been gone. I'm all for model inclusion, but to keep a level field how about a challenge where all models are "curvy"?

I agree, but my caveat is that they all actually can walk instead of lumbering along like some of them have been doing.  Remember when a model's ability to walk well was one of the reasons they were chosen for runway work, when. a model could really sell a look? Like Mimi.  Even Laurence's model this week played a part in her getting the win. Imagine that gown on the same model if she wasn't able to glide and present it in the best way possible. The models in this season and several of the recent past have put a lot of designers at a disadvantage.  

• Like 10
  • Useful 3

Anna giving Christian that "I didn't knowwww" routine about the bleach was so manipulative.  Korto and then Laurenc later both told her about rinsing it.  Seriously think she's working the "everyone feel sorry for me" routine and it's annoying af.

As to the judging, what else is new--it's always been insane.  I'm just glad Elaine has toned down the "my man Praije" comments she made continuously during his other season.  Like, maybe make it less obvious you've got a pet/favorite.

So happy Rami was saved and love his and Christian's dynamic.  A save well used.

• Like 12

I was catching up on episodes because I missed a few.  These judges have been unduly harsh to Rami throughout the season.  He is so skillful but they do not appreciate those skills. I do think they see him as old fashioned or outdated rather than classic.  I think his outfit this time would have been more successful if he got rid of the caging at the top and only left it at the bottom.  The top was interesting and flattering. 

Elaine is just a useless, highly biased judge.  Then add in the guest judge for the week and we have two people with no taste desperate to prove how cool and edgy they are.  Also the guest judge seemed to be unable to sit up.  It was very distracting.  I would have loved to have seen Nina's reaction to her.  Nina can give a look. 

I liked everything about Laurence's dress except the cone boobs.  The funny moment was when the voiceover was of one of the judges saying it looked couture and the camera focused in on the cones.  That's what makes it couture?  😁

I generally like Christian, but I am finding him too intrusive in his critiques.  He goes beyond pointing out his concerns by telling people how he thinks he should fix them.  If it was sewing advice, fine.  But it is often a major design change. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
43 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Elaine is just a useless, highly biased judge. 

I'm gong to add that her bias seems to not be based on fashion either.  

But as has been pointed to repeatedly in this forum, the judging overall has become ridiculous.  This week one of them praised the outstanding fit of one of the skirts (Bishme's??) while the camera clearly showed that was the worst part of the design.  It did not fit properly at all.  It was hiked up and bunched in the back at the waist. 

6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:
21 hours ago, dleighg said:

As a teen of the seventies, and a child of the sixties, I raised an eyebrow at the extended description of "what tie dye is" with the rubber bands, etc. 

Yea, I was so confused by everyone acting like they'd never heard of tie dye before.

Don't even have to go back that far.  Even my kids both did tie-dye projects during summer activities at camps and even the library and there's a decade between them.  It's not exactly a forgotten art. This show has become an exercise in gaslighting.

• Like 14
(edited)

I did not like Laurance’s look at all. From the cone boobs to the spikes to the crotch, nope. But what do I know? Based on the decision — not much, apparently.

The passive-aggressiveness was just oozing from Kara Saun toward Anna, and I didn’t care. The fact that Anna wanted her model to wear a garment with unwashed bleach? Really? That shit BURNS. Her “new” garment was a mess, and I was kind of pissed that the judges felt the need to bring her into Kara Saun’s critique, and give her a bit of praise to boot. It looked like she just pinned a bunch of denim shorts together and called it a day. I can’t stand her fragile flower act, and I cannot wait until she’s gone.

Korto brings her African aesthetic almost every week, in quiet ways that make a statement without hitting us over the head with it, like was discussed last week as per other designers. I respect that. 

I have to say Mimi is about the most stunning model PR has ever had. She takes my breath away. 

No problem with the Siriano Save used for Rami.

Who is this Julia Fox person?

Oh, goody…Cap’n Sandy infests the runway next week. My deepest and heartfelt sympathies to whoever gets her. Get ready to be micromanaged into oblivion.

2 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I was catching up on episodes because I missed a few.  These judges have been unduly harsh to Rami throughout the season.  He is so skillful but they do not appreciate those skills. I do think they see him as old fashioned or outdated rather than classic.  I think his outfit this time would have been more successful if he got rid of the caging at the top and only left it at the bottom.  The top was interesting and flattering. 

Elaine is just a useless, highly biased judge.  Then add in the guest judge for the week and we have two people with no taste desperate to prove how cool and edgy they are.  Also the guest judge seemed to be unable to sit up.  It was very distracting.  I would have loved to have seen Nina's reaction to her.  Nina can give a look. 

I liked everything about Laurence's dress except the cone boobs.  The funny moment was when the voiceover was of one of the judges saying it looked couture and the camera focused in on the cones.  That's what makes it couture?  😁

I generally like Christian, but I am finding him too intrusive in his critiques.  He goes beyond pointing out his concerns by telling people how he thinks he should fix them.  If it was sewing advice, fine.  But it is often a major design change. 

He’s got a way of making them doubt themselves, which leads to the last-minute massive overhauls in design, and it’s something I don’t particularly care for in him. It’s not helpful. He’s supposed to be offering constructive criticism, not messing with their heads. These are the times I miss Tim Gunn.

Edited by RoseAllDay
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
45 minutes ago, RoseAllDay said:

I did not like Laurance’s look at all. From the cone boobs to the spikes to the crotch, nope. But what do I know? Based on the decision — not much, apparently.

I was taking notes about each pairing with who I thought should win each (I was two for four). For Laurance I wrote "hate it, but the judges will probably love it"

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

i thiank the guest judge was bending over hoping her boobs would accidently be exposed. that fits with what i have read about her.

agreed on christian's influence.  he needs to just let them go with whatever they dream up without having them change to what he feels.

and who was that other guest judge?