Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Suspicious Minds

• Start Topic

Cisco lays himself on the line for a friend. After pushing Andrea to show her cards in the courtroom, Mickey risks overplaying his hand.

Original airdate 7/6/23

Midseason finale

As a cliff hanger we know Haller would be back so "who beat Mickey?" is supposed to be the hook for the second half I guess. My guess it has nothing to do with the main case or the Armenian mob in the background so far. With enough about the ex husband not being in the picture I will hang my speculation there. As opposed to the case or the Road Saints hitting Cisco's friends.

That the DA will cheat on discovery went nowhere and so what if they heard when they heard it about the bloody glove?  I guess recovering from his injuries along with a speedy trial to put that pressure on Mickey want from Lisa is why a beating is added to the show.

I am liking it so far, except for the biker/Cisco stuff which I started ffing. Hope this is the last of those fools. Leave Cisco alone so he can be happy with Lorna.

I would be really annoyed if Lisa killed the millionaire, after all the crew did for her. I don’t get how she would reach the top of his head with a hammer since he’s much taller than her.

• Like 3

I will be surprised if she's innocent, she keeps lying to him. I thought the ex-husband was dead, and that she had someone else call as him, to say he wouldn't get involved. She went from saying they just grew apart, but ended on good terms (I thought), to saying she wouldn't revisit that horrible time of her life. So, which is it? 

I like Lorna and Cisco. I like Maggie and their daughter, too. If she is innocent, I wonder if the podcast guy had anything to do with it. 

I'm annoyed by their splitting seasons into two parts. Just stop it, Netflix. This is a good show to binge. I don't want to wait a month, for the rest of it.

• Like 9

I don't think Lisa killed millionaire, only because I don't think both seasons of the series would have Mickey getting a killer off (assuming he gets Lisa off, which I would imagine he will). I do think she is shady though, so hopefully the end of the season is also the end of her on my screen.

I am bored with the Cisco stuff, don't care. I also would love it if they get rid of wife number one if the series continues for another season. I find the back and forth between her and Mickey also boring, I'd rather have more of Lorna and Izzy. 

• Like 5

It seems clear that wife 1 and Mickey are endgame, with the way the writers keep pushing them both together. I don’t blame her for being frustrated with him because it seems that she always ends up getting crapped on while Mickey comes out as the golden lawyer. 

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, twoods said:

It seems clear that wife 1 and Mickey are endgame, with the way the writers keep pushing them both together. I don’t blame her for being frustrated with him because it seems that she always ends up getting crapped on while Mickey comes out as the golden lawyer. 

Yes, unfortunately it does seem to be the writers' endgame, which makes me wonder how long they can drag out the back-and-forth. I am not sure if it is because I am not crazy about Neve Campbell, or because of the way wife #1 is written, but I really dislike the character. I would much rather see Mickey with Lorna if he is going to reunite with an ex. While I do like Cisco,  I don't see a lot of chemistry between Cisco and Lorna. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Like 3

I like Maggie, I don't mind if they're end-game. 

I forgot to mention that I loved Lorna standing up to the professor, for what he did in the past. 

• Like 4
(edited)

I really liked the DA actress from her Chicago Med days. I like how more vibrant she is here than she was on the medical drama. I always root for the underdog so will keep rooting for her. Those photos were so lame. The older lady could say that Maggie was walking closer to the road and not the building as it seemed like a really wide sidewalk. Or she was just getting out of her car so on the road. Or she was trying to cross the road because people jaywalk in downtown districts all of the time.

I am assuming there will be a season where Neve is the DA? I barely know she is a lawyer.

So, is Lorna still a law student or an articled student (or whatever equivalent it is in California), has she passed the bar? I have completely confused. Or this a summer gig? 

I am so confused by the Maggie character. Did she use a step stool to murder the developer with a hammer? Why is an owner of a hipster restaurant so against gentrification? People moving into those condos would be her customer base.

I HATE Cisco’s storyline.

Edited by memememe76
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I really liked the DA actress from her Chicago Med days. I like how more vibrant she is here than she was on the medical drama. I always root for the underdog so will keep rooting for her. Those photos were so lame. The older lady could say that Maggie was walking closer to the road and not the building as it seemed like a really wide sidewalk. Or she was just getting out of her car so on the road. Or she was trying to cross the road because people jaywalk in downtown districts all of the time.

I am assuming there will be a season where Neve is the DA? I barely know she is a lawyer.

So, is Lorna still a law student or an articled student (or whatever equivalent it is in California), has she passed the bar? I have completely confused. Or this a summer gig? 

Well its not the trial and a witness doesn't need to be perfect for the plot.

As far as first ex wife being a Deputy DA in Mickey's case  the show is realistic enough for her to be the prosecutor to never happen 

7 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I am so confused by the Maggie character. Did she use a step stool to murder the developer with a hammer? Why is an owner of a hipster restaurant so against gentrification? People moving into those condos would be her customer base.

I HATE Cisco’s storyline.

You mean Lisa?  I don’t think Maggie is a suspect. 😉

I had to binge this through the weekend.

I hope that Lisa isn't actually guilty as that would make Mickey 2 for 2 in defending a guilty person. I am hoping that it's the podcaster who also has another motive (ties to the mob) for actually killing the  developer and framing Lisa for it.

I like the Lorna and Cisco aspects but the part with the biker gang was way too much and I had to ff a bit.

Izzy is a great addition.  

• Like 3

I get that both prosecution and the defense try underhanded tactics, but I really like that the judge put Mickey in his place when the prosecution revealed their ace - “you engineered all of this to force her hand, and you just can’t unring the bell now that you don’t like your hand.”

Much as Mickey called her bluff, the DA called his bluff too. I like it. Especially since Mickey is slowly finding out that Lisa isn’t as honest as she seems and as innocent as she insists.

I also like it that Lorna called out Mickey on his assholery. It’s so unfair of him to question Lorna’s commitment to the case and the job when she has been pulling all-nighters to write motions he knows are only for show, and to go through boxes for discovery. I’m glad she told him to fuck off.

• Like 4

I've read ALL the Lincoln Lawyer (and Bosch) books, but upon reading a synopsis of The Fifth Witness (basis for this season of LL), I realized I had no memory of any of it.  (No apology.  I'm 76.  What did I have for breakfast???)

So while hubby and I were waiting for our lunch order today, I got on my phone and checked The Fifth Witness out of our local library onto CloudLibrary.  I may be old, but I do love technology.

• Like 6

I never liked Lisa, and I thought for a couple of eps now that she really was guilty. But now I think her ex-husband has set her up. His real last name appears to be Armenian. I can't remember if that's the same last name as whoever was in financial conflict with the dead developer, but I'm convinced that the developer was killed by someone associated with the Armenian family.

I didn't realize the whole second season hadn't dropped, so I was kinda mad and disappointed that we have to wait until August to continue.

• Like 1

I don't like just how over the top shady Lisa is. I think it'd be more compelling if she seemed innocent before she turns out to be guilty (since we all know she's going to turn out to be guilty, which, as @greekmom correctly points out, is kind of annoying to have Mickey defend and get acquittals for back-to-back guilty clients). 

• Like 2
(edited)

Oh, Lisa is guilty of plenty of things.  I just don't think she actually, physically murdered Bondurant.   

No matter, she's not right for Mickey.  I don't like her character & I've never cared for the actress playing Lisa (really hated her in 24), so that prejudices me.  

And I really hate the way Mickey treated Lorna, the stress he's under is no excuse for the misogynistic "You're distracted by your wedding" crap.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
On 7/10/2023 at 4:51 AM, greekmom said:

Izzy is a great addition.  

I was trying to figure where Izzy was going as the dancer in 12 steps/driver suddenly doing work with Lorna to prepare cases? It was like find something for her to do since Mickey spent so much time in his convertible.

On 7/8/2023 at 1:48 AM, UsernameFatigue said:

I am bored with the Cisco stuff, don't care. I also would love it if they get rid of wife number one if the series continues for another season. I find the back and forth between her and Mickey also boring, I'd rather have more of Lorna and Izzy. 

I don't either. Just my opinion but I don't see any chemistry between Cisco and Lorna. Not great casting for the actor playing Cisco, and his whisper voice irks me. Sometimes he'll say something and I'll hear his normal voice, and then he goes back to the whisper. It's like Jack Bauer 2.0. I like Lorna but find her more interesting in the scenes without Cisco. 

Lisa is playing Mickey. I'm surprised he's falling for it. 

• Like 3
On 7/9/2023 at 1:32 PM, memememe76 said:

I really liked the DA actress from her Chicago Med days. I like how more vibrant she is here than she was on the medical drama.

I couldn't figure out where I knew her from and googled and realized she was a contestant on America's Next Top Model back in the day. 

I didn't realize only half the season was posted until I got to the end of the episode last night. I only watched the first season about a week and a half ago and was planning on binging this one too. Oops.

I think Lisa is innocent because they're working to make her look guilty and I don't think they'd have him get off a guilty person twice in a row.

So, so bored by the Cisco stuff that it is ruining the character for me.

The DA played April on Chicago Med and was a mediocre character.  Very monotone and dull. She’s better on this show. She has matured as an actress.

I don’t like Lisa or trust her. When Lorna asked Mickey if she did it, I wondered the same thing.  I would not be at all surprised if her ex is part of the Grant family and involved in setting her up, though. It was his hammer and the gloves were in the same shed as the toolkit. It’s too convenient.

I also don’t care for Maggie.  Lorna is more interesting.

• Like 2

I don't like Lisa and think she's up to no good, but I don't think she's a killer. I thought it was telling was when Micky told Lisa "he could spot a liar a mile away," he then essentially said "gotta run." I think he doesn't trust her one bit. (and then he immediately went and slept with Maggie right after)

Speaking of Maggie, can someone who has better understanding of SoCal geography than me explain how Haley can go to school in "South Bay" (wherever that is) and Maggie can "commute" to SD? Where is this "house near the beach" she's planning to buy? Aren't SD and LA a fair ways apart?

3 hours ago, dleighg said:

so she's going to commute? To a high-powered DA job? 

She likely already had hours of commute as a L.A. County Deputy DA to downtown from the valleys where many actually live.

4 hours ago, dleighg said:

I don't like Lisa and think she's up to no good, but I don't think she's a killer. I thought it was telling was when Micky told Lisa "he could spot a liar a mile away," he then essentially said "gotta run." I think he doesn't trust her one bit. (and then he immediately went and slept with Maggie right after)

Speaking of Maggie, can someone who has better understanding of SoCal geography than me explain how Haley can go to school in "South Bay" (wherever that is) and Maggie can "commute" to SD? Where is this "house near the beach" she's planning to buy? Aren't SD and LA a fair ways apart?

About 2 hours, but South Bay (of Los Angeles County) borders Orange County where you pick up extra freeway lanes and have an easier drive  to San Diego than to central or western Los Angeles.

With a child in the South Bay you might already live in Orange County 

Downtown LA to the Valley is nowhere near as bad as South Bay to San Diego. With traffic it’s up to a 3-4 hour commute, while LA to the valley can be 30 min without traffic to an hour and a half with traffic.  Unless they are talking about the South Bay of San Diego, which isn’t far from downtown SD.

Edited by twoods
7 hours ago, twoods said:

Unless they are talking about the South Bay of San Diego, which isn’t far from downtown SD.

But Maggie was saying that Micky could see Haley as often as he wanted/as often as now, or something to that effect. So the implication was South Bay of LA.

• Thanks 1

I'm glad I waited until the second part of the season dropped to watch this because this is a perfect comfort binge. I don't have to pay too close attention.  The episodes are easy to watch. 

Maggie doesn't do much for me, either.  I loved her in the movie when Marisa Tomei played her, but the character feels like they work to get her into the episodes, yet they do it because of the actress. 

On 7/8/2023 at 12:17 AM, Anela said:

I will be surprised if she's innocent, she keeps lying to him.

She might not be the one who physically killed the developer, but I think she is a part of it somehow.  She's playing this too much like a femme fatale in noir movies.  She's manipulating Mickey through sex, food, and playing the victim.

And it might be way out there, but she is reminding me of Kathleen Turner's character in Body Heat who played the lawyer she seduced.  In fact, the rule against perpetuities plays a major part in the plot of that movie.  Lorna mentioned it in the first episode of this season when she was studying.

And a general spoiler about the Lincoln Lawyer Books (not this one specifically, but a trend from the few I've read):

Spoiler

I could believe he's two for two with a guilty client.  From the few books I've read in this series, his clients usually are guilty.  It's what separates this series from other lawyer series.

• Like 6
On 7/20/2023 at 10:25 AM, SnapHappy said:

No matter, she's not right for Mickey.  I don't like her character & I've never cared for the actress playing Lisa (really hated her in 24), so that prejudices me.  

Completely concur.  And the actress reminds me of a less-SUPERWOW Lauren Sanchez, Jeff Bezos' fiancee.  That is not a compliment!  

• Like 2
On 8/3/2023 at 11:17 AM, Attatude said:

I looked it up. South Bay is made up of the cities near the ocean in Los Angeles County.  SD is San Diego. It’s a few hours away?

I lived in Gardena, a city in the north part of the South Bay when I lived in Southern California.  It was about a 2-hour drive to San Diego (on the 405 and 5 Freeways).  This was on a weekend (drove down for a few Padres games).  Weekday commute would probably be longer, especially in parts of Orange County (south of Los Angeles County)

• Like 1