Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: To the Manner Born

http://cepuk.org/members/

A picture and info on Luke Montagu.  Note that Lord Sandwich is also on CEP's board.  Family members and I have been helped by carefully supervised antidepressants and stimulants, so I won't comment on CEP's mission. Whatever one thinks of Luke's looks, he seems to have made his own way, judging by the brief resume.  Both of his parents are impressive in their own rights.

He has a slight serial killer look to him, like he might want to make a suit out of my skin or something.  But he does appear to be a success in his own right.  But I can see how he might have hooked up with Julie.  He isn't ugly, he just has that serial killer look that would make me scared.

• Love 1

He has a slight serial killer look to him, like he might want to make a suit out of my skin or something.  But he does appear to be a success in his own right.  But I can see how he might have hooked up with Julie.  He isn't ugly, he just has that serial killer look that would make me scared.

OMG, YES.  That explains why someone with that background and money might end up with Julie.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Watching the formal dinner I'm struck by the fact that Caprice actually can move and seem somewhat dignified in these settings.  Sure, she's a poseur but she can pull it off.   Noelle thinks, with her phoney every now and then I'll sound Brit accent and her "Scott's estate was like this...full time staff of 20", that she's practically an aristocrat.  She is so ridiculous.  And that tacky dress!  How much alcohol did she pound down?  She's not nearly as attractive as she thinks she is.  She's the poor man's Portia di Rossi.

Juliet just is awkward in any social setting  I don't see any redeeming social graces about her.  I would find her obnoxious in America so I can't even imagine dealing with her in the UK.  Her dress too. How can this woman dress other people?  I do think that Caroline and Juliet actually like each other and are friends outside of this.

Carolina is a snob but she has grown on me.  Caprice with her "one false move and her vagina will fall out" made me giggle.

Annabelle was much more likable this episode.

Edited by sasha206

So when the current Earl dies, will Julie's husband become Luke Sandwich?  I don't know why that name makes me giggle more than John Sandwich, but it does.  Ok, they both make me giggle.  But I'm just an ugly American - GASP a TEXAN even - so I don't know any better.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Seeing as everyone on this programme is so bothered by manners and etiquette, when inviting people to a meal surely it is up to the host to find out if anyone invited has any allergies or specific dietary needs such as vegetarian, vegan etc. You would think that Julie would especially be conscious of this is she herself is a vegan?

Caprice should just go home, can't stand her. She herself is as much a wannabe as she thinks everyone else is. She'll never be part of the high society she thinks she's part of. She talks as if she's some top worldwide successful model but I just remember her for posing in her underwear (or even naked on occasions) on the cover of magazines, not exactly something known for being classy and 'proper'. She's such a bitch and needs to stop looking down on everyone. She is so jealous of Caroline and it shows!

Juliet and the cellist; many would have asked him if he was going to play. It's not a big deal.

Edited by British-nonsnob
  • Love 6

So when the current Earl dies, will Julie's husband become Luke Sandwich?  I don't know why that name makes me giggle more than John Sandwich, but it does.  Ok, they both make me giggle.  But I'm just an ugly American - GASP a TEXAN even - so I don't know any better.

Oh, you know us Americans. If part of the family moved here, they'd probably name their kid Reuben or something so he could be called Reuben, Lord Sandwich (a la North West). Or maybe something classy like Bartholomew Lucas Templeton. ;)

• Love 2
(edited)

Speaking of the Sandwiches, this is a real road sign in England (apparently the villages of Ham and Sandwich are pretty close to each other):

58vtKDu.jpg

Edited by MMLEsq
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I really think that Caprice comes off as the most desperate and definitely reeks of jealousy for Caroline.  She seemed to be begging for crumbs from Julie and Annabelle when she stayed 20 minutes longer after not being invited to stay at the manor.  I don't see her pulling anything off and she seems quite ridiculous with her own faux accent and attempts at British slang.  She's not very famous in the US (this is the first I've heard of her and I'm not exactly checked out of reality tv/pop culture) so I'm surprised at her fame in the UK.  

• Love 1
(edited)

That's the thing, she's really not at all that famous here in the UK. Sure, we recognise her name and remember her glory days of posing nude or in underwear for lads mags but that's all she's known for here. I can't for the life of me understand why she thinks she's now upper class British :/ ask anyone here and they'd say she's a D lister if that. I can't understand how she's so big on being proper if all she's famous for is posing nude or in very little clothing...

• Love 3

I wonder just how big gaping hole Mapperton is on the Montagus.  Clearly they were frantically whoring themselves out for the production money and a free travel promotional video.  Typical British aristocracy entitled pragmatism.  Filming ahead and make sure the camera men do everything possible to hide the fact it looked like at least two other dinners were taking place in rooms off the dining room the cast was awkwardly sitting around their table.

So much fake contrived and over edited shenanigans.  To the point I really don't know how long I can watch with full attention.  Sure Juliet is an insecure person who thinks aggressive "truth telling it like it is so I remain myself" bullshit is being socially assertive.  It is not.  And she damn well knows it.  Of the rest of the women, only Marissa is free of the same such trifling childish crap.

In fact I would love if the show was focused on Marissa and Caroline and the others were just in the background as part of the wider set the two interacted with.  It would be fun if the show was just the two in main showing each other the sides of their cultures they both admire, find funny and odd.

The dinner itself was a put on.  This is between the 4th and Prince George's birth unless the visit is out of whack.  No one in this set with "class" would serve venison in July.  What with deer season not starting until August.  And no true "manor driven" aristo would serve deer from the freezer for guests right before the season started.  Anyone (I'm looking at you Annabelle and Caprice) born into this class would know that the deer meat had 1. been shot out of season -- tacky to the extreme among the gun set 2.was the Montagus cleaning out the freezer of last year's meat.  That's 'gyspy' behavior. 3. came from the meat shop or from off estate where Scottish meat would be in season.  None of these is "acceptable" or true to what the doddering befuddled 'Gu's were trying to sell to the cameras.  And again there are two women who try to pretend they know shit and are only pretenders.  Annabelle is more successful because she has been at it longer and managed to glom onto a set thanks to middle class money and a continental title that no one knows or cares about but gets you past the doorman enough until you can get in with someone else you met and cultivated.  In any case even if it was early August, it would be shooting season and the estate wouldn't waste deer on a tv show meant only to send more tourists Mapperton's way.

By the way at Chatsworth if you are staying, you get a request to list any dietary preferences and if you are just dining you still get a menu enclosed with the invitation and can choose what ends up on your plate -- I suspect close friends they know what kind of menu they can serve.  And venison is a complete producer driven element simply because game is more common but also more controversial (plus there is an unconscious back the mind awareness in terms of red meat that the US doesn't have what with not having to massacre almost the entire population of cattle due to mad cow disease).  I doubt anyone offering true hospitality would offer up game to guests who might have dietary issues or just not want to eat red meat or game.  Caprice is so full of shit that the reason her nose looks so horrible isn't due to plastic surgery but the fact that it is a huge mushroom growing out her nasal cavity.  It is not proper to send dietary preferences.  Rather she should have discussed it with Julie as hostess when the invite was made and let Julie do the rest.

Julie by the way sucks as a hostess.  As rude as Juliet was determined to be, Julie played little production driven games that wouldn't have passed at Martha Stewart's farm let alone the great country houses of England. 

I suspect the producers encouraged the smoking break and Noelle's vapid wander into the kitchen.  In general or even specific.  The bemused and bewildered wide eyed shots of the old 'Gu's were so edited in for the most part.

Loved the fact the kids in the room next door wandering through to the loo.  Wonder if they were in-laws the show didn't want or part of the two other groups that seemed to be renting out Mapperton for the day or an event of some sorts.  Though even "private" houses supplement by renting out to friends or corporations on a case by case basis.

Julie really doesn't feel very secure.  I wonder if she kisses up to Annabelle because Annabelle has her own lips firmly but gently pressed against the Countess' ass?  She really is nothing but a yes girl to Annabelle.

I did love the fact that Annabelle who shows no charm or even a great wit was so confused as to whether she was suppose to be outraged or so burdened with ennui at the classless Juliet.  Bitch you wrote this script you keep it straight.  As dumb as Noelle is, watching the three bobble heads Julie, Annabelle and Caprice confused whether their heads should collectively shoved up their ass or busy in another orifice was almost amusing.

I wonder how many weeks it will take before Caprice completely rewrites the silly 4th incident to where she witnessed everything and it was all about her.

• Love 8

I wonder just how big gaping hole Mapperton is on the Montagus.  Clearly they were frantically whoring themselves out for the production money and a free travel promotional video.  Typical British aristocracy entitled pragmatism.  Filming ahead and make sure the camera men do everything possible to hide the fact it looked like at least two other dinners were taking place in rooms off the dining room the cast was awkwardly sitting around their table.

So much fake contrived and over edited shenanigans.  To the point I really don't know how long I can watch with full attention.  Sure Juliet is an insecure person who thinks aggressive "truth telling it like it is so I remain myself" bullshit is being socially assertive.  It is not.  And she damn well knows it.  Of the rest of the women, only Marissa is free of the same such trifling childish crap.

In fact I would love if the show was focused on Marissa and Caroline and the others were just in the background as part of the wider set the two interacted with.  It would be fun if the show was just the two in main showing each other the sides of their cultures they both admire, find funny and odd.

The dinner itself was a put on.  This is between the 4th and Prince George's birth unless the visit is out of whack.  No one in this set with "class" would serve venison in July.  What with deer season not starting until August.  And no true "manor driven" aristo would serve deer from the freezer for guests right before the season started.  Anyone (I'm looking at you Annabelle and Caprice) born into this class would know that the deer meat had 1. been shot out of season -- tacky to the extreme among the gun set 2.was the Montagus cleaning out the freezer of last year's meat.  That's 'gyspy' behavior. 3. came from the meat shop or from off estate where Scottish meat would be in season.  None of these is "acceptable" or true to what the doddering befuddled 'Gu's were trying to sell to the cameras.  And again there are two women who try to pretend they know shit and are only pretenders.  Annabelle is more successful because she has been at it longer and managed to glom onto a set thanks to middle class money and a continental title that no one knows or cares about but gets you past the doorman enough until you can get in with someone else you met and cultivated.  In any case even if it was early August, it would be shooting season and the estate wouldn't waste deer on a tv show meant only to send more tourists Mapperton's way.

By the way at Chatsworth if you are staying, you get a request to list any dietary preferences and if you are just dining you still get a menu enclosed with the invitation and can choose what ends up on your plate -- I suspect close friends they know what kind of menu they can serve.  And venison is a complete producer driven element simply because game is more common but also more controversial (plus there is an unconscious back the mind awareness in terms of red meat that the US doesn't have what with not having to massacre almost the entire population of cattle due to mad cow disease).  I doubt anyone offering true hospitality would offer up game to guests who might have dietary issues or just not want to eat red meat or game.  Caprice is so full of shit that the reason her nose looks so horrible isn't due to plastic surgery but the fact that it is a huge mushroom growing out her nasal cavity.  It is not proper to send dietary preferences.  Rather she should have discussed it with Julie as hostess when the invite was made and let Julie do the rest.

Julie by the way sucks as a hostess.  As rude as Juliet was determined to be, Julie played little production driven games that wouldn't have passed at Martha Stewart's farm let alone the great country houses of England. 

I suspect the producers encouraged the smoking break and Noelle's vapid wander into the kitchen.  In general or even specific.  The bemused and bewildered wide eyed shots of the old 'Gu's were so edited in for the most part.

Loved the fact the kids in the room next door wandering through to the loo.  Wonder if they were in-laws the show didn't want or part of the two other groups that seemed to be renting out Mapperton for the day or an event of some sorts.  Though even "private" houses supplement by renting out to friends or corporations on a case by case basis.

Julie really doesn't feel very secure.  I wonder if she kisses up to Annabelle because Annabelle has her own lips firmly but gently pressed against the Countess' ass?  She really is nothing but a yes girl to Annabelle.

I did love the fact that Annabelle who shows no charm or even a great wit was so confused as to whether she was suppose to be outraged or so burdened with ennui at the classless Juliet.  Bitch you wrote this script you keep it straight.  As dumb as Noelle is, watching the three bobble heads Julie, Annabelle and Caprice confused whether their heads should collectively shoved up their ass or busy in another orifice was almost amusing.

I wonder how many weeks it will take before Caprice completely rewrites the silly 4th incident to where she witnessed everything and it was all about her.

I didn't realize that there was a season for deer hunting.  I understood a season for bear hunting because bears hibernate, but I didn't think deer did.  I don't hunt anything, but I thought deer were out at all times.  The only way I would understand a season for deer would be if you also hunt duck, and ducks are only available one time of the year, so you usually serve them instead of the deer, even though the deer are available year round.  But I don't know, maybe they don't hunt ducks?  Or maybe they didn't want to hear someone crying over eating "donald duck"

Deer and other animals are out all year, but saying it's deer season means that it is legal to hunt them from this date to that date. It's a way for wildlife management to manage the various animal populations. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The only way I would understand a season for deer would be if you also hunt duck, and ducks are only available one time of the year, so you usually serve them instead of the deer, even though the deer are available year round.

All wild game in the US also has a season.  Deer season, pheasant season, fishing season, etc.  It really isn't tied to when animals are available.  A lot of it has to do with avoiding the animals mating/birthing seasons.  It's also artificially limited to ensure only a certain number of animals are taken.  Otherwise, you end up with the plight of the American Buffalo, almost hunted to extinction.

• Love 4

Deer and other animals are out all year, but saying it's deer season means that it is legal to hunt them from this date to that date. It's a way for wildlife management to manage the various animal populations. 

All wild game in the US also has a season.  Deer season, pheasant season, fishing season, etc.  It really isn't tied to when animals are available.  A lot of it has to do with avoiding the animals mating/birthing seasons.  It's also artificially limited to ensure only a certain number of animals are taken.  Otherwise, you end up with the plight of the American Buffalo, almost hunted to extinction.

Thank you both for clearing that up.  I've actually had that question for a long time, because I had heard about seasons for things, and it didn't seem to make sense, except for bears because of the hibernation.  I didn't realize that deer and other animals had a specific season for mating/birthing, but if they all mate in a certain timeframe, than it certainly makes sense to have a season of hunting so as to not totally deplete the numbers.  But do you think a private estate, like the one the Sandwichs live on has a state enforced hunting season?

• Love 1
(edited)

Did anyone else think Julie's dress at the formal meal looked more like a nightgown?

And does Caprice honestly expect us to believe her lips are natural? They look ridiculous.

• Love 1

None of the women looked particularly good at the dinner.  Plus I think they all over dressed for dinner.  I've always been told unless it is said to be formal, dressing for dinner for a woman is Business Cocktail attire.   It's clear by the musician schlub the Montagus did not expect formal attire. 

I think there are pretty strict shooting guidelines unlike in the US that has Amish eating venison all year round to "protect their crops".  I recall some non-royal Duke getting flak for shooting out of season.  Somerset? Maybe Norfolk?  And the Montagus run commercial shooting so even if you have a 'protect your land rights to pull the trigger; that you have here in the US and I believe Canada (somewhat, the Game Commission in some areas will look real close if you make even the slightest hint of habitually filling your freezer in the middle of the summer), they would have to be very very careful what they did.  I don't think they would serve up venison for cameras, even US cameras since hunting is a decent money maker.  And that estate is a huge sucking pretty property money pit.

• Love 1
(edited)

Did anyone else think Julie's dress at the formal meal looked more like a nightgown?

And does Caprice honestly expect us to believe her lips are natural? They look ridiculous.

How about Noelle? She's constantly pursing her lips, or making them pout. She's the one I can't stand.

And, also, Caroline's eyebrows scare me. And she has a professional do them! They're arched incorrectly--too close to the middle of the brow-- and the color isn't right. It's too brown.

Edited by jennylauren123

And, also, Caroline's eyebrows scare me. And she has a professional do them! They're arched incorrectly--too close to the middle of the brow-- and the color isn't right. It's too brown.

Yeah, I'm not in love with her makeup. It would be one thing if she did it herself but... no.

I thought the dinner party was interesting.  

Most people don't go to dinner parties frequently.  You might go to a friend's home for dinner, but they probably know your dietary preferences; if you go to a restaurant, you can order a vegan or vegetarian meal.  I went to a dinner recently and you were asked to give dietary restrictions on the RSVP; still there was a woman at my table who announced that she could not eat the beef.  

I did think it was rude to get up to have a cigarette during dinner; usually people will smoke after dinner; but it doesn't bother me because you can't smoke at the table, so go outside.

I think Caprice is a big, old phony.  To me, she's an average looking American woman who went to London and for some reason people went gaga over her; now she needs to keep her face in the papers to remain relevant.  I think she's below Kim Kardashian because at least Kim Kardashian had a sex tape that made her famous, what did Caprice do, just smile?  I'd also take Juliet over Annabelle any day; the women in the hotel looked to be having a better time than Julie, Caprice and Annabelle.   

Manners are interesting; I have been on quite a few cruises on the Queen Mary 2, which is a very strict ship when it comes to things like dress codes.  Every time I've been on that ship, there is always an issue when someone wants to come to the dining room wearing shorts and a tee shirt and is turned away and told that type of attire isn't appropriate for the dining room.  I laugh when that person wants to argue about it, especially since on a ship, there are many dining options.  If one doesn't work, you can try another.  

• Love 1

Manners are interesting; I have been on quite a few cruises on the Queen Mary 2, which is a very strict ship when it comes to things like dress codes.

Hah!  Yet another reason to think it is all a crock of shite - because, really, "dress codes" - like it is some fucking honor to be included in the rarified stratosphere of pretention that passes for integrity???  Get real, folks - real class and money does not behave this way; at least, not in any really classy monied people I've ever known.

• Love 1

Hah!  Yet another reason to think it is all a crock of shite - because, really, "dress codes" - like it is some fucking honor to be included in the rarified stratosphere of pretention that passes for integrity???  Get real, folks - real class and money does not behave this way; at least, not in any really classy monied people I've ever known.

I don't know about that.  I think most people wouldn't wear jeans and cut offs if they were invited to a nice restaurant.  

• Love 2

I don't know about that.  I think most people wouldn't wear jeans and cut offs if they were invited to a nice restaurant

I cut my eye teeth on nice restaurants and rich people, who are much more accepting of contrarians than you'd ever imagine.  One of my proudest moments (decades later) was when my niece was dating a rich entitled and beautiful scion of La Jolla.  We met at a nice restaurant and she was in cutoffs, no makeup, pigtails and confidence - and I couldn't have loved or admired young girl more if I tried..  Because all that other stuff - is just fluff.   And she saw through it at a much younger age than I did; rich people ain't nothin' special.

I cut my eye teeth on nice restaurants and rich people, who are much more accepting of contrarians than you'd ever imagine.  One of my proudest moments (decades later) was when my niece was dating a rich entitled and beautiful scion of La Jolla.  We met at a nice restaurant and she was in cutoffs, no makeup, pigtails and confidence - and I couldn't have loved or admired young girl more if I tried..  Because all that other stuff - is just fluff.   And she saw through it at a much younger age than I did; rich people ain't nothin' special.

I don't get the point.  No, rich people aren't special, but there is such a thing as dressing appropriately and by appropriately, I don't mean wearing name brand expensive clothes.  Some of the nicest outfits I have purchased have come from thrift shops or K-Mart.

• Love 6

I don't get the point.  No, rich people aren't special, but there is such a thing as dressing appropriately and by appropriately, I don't mean wearing name brand expensive clothes.

That's OK by me, because "appropriate" is in the eye of the beholder no more ... appropriate is any damned thing I deem; just like those who deem it so.  You live in the world you choose; I am quite comfortable breaking barriers without the subsequent militancy associated with such a choice - I reserve my indignation for stuff that really matters to me - dress code is at the bottom of that list (nude beach philosophy 101).  :-) 

I guaranfuckingtee-you that people of wealth AND substance care less about one's appropriate dress and behavior as they do about one's character and integrity - at least, in my limited experience.  If not, they're not worth knowing, eh!?!

• Love 1

That's OK by me, because "appropriate" is in the eye of the beholder no more ... appropriate is any damned thing I deem; just like those who deem it so.  You live in the world you choose; I am quite comfortable breaking barriers without the subsequent militancy associated with such a choice - I reserve my indignation for stuff that really matters to me - dress code is at the bottom of that list (nude beach philosophy 101).  :-) 

I guaranfuckingtee-you that people of wealth AND substance care less about one's appropriate dress and behavior as they do about one's character and integrity - at least, in my limited experience.  If not, they're not worth knowing, eh!?!

I don't necessarily think that people of wealth and substance don't care about dress and behavior, I think they care about those things as well as character and integrity.  I think wealthy people, especially those that have pushed and struggled to obtain their wealth have done so because they cared about appearances to some degree.  Life is hard when you're poor, and part of that hardship is that people look at you differently because you can't afford the right clothes.  No one wants to feel judged or left out.  So when these people DO get money, its important for them that they not be in a position where someone is laughing at them so they do want to wear the right clothes and behave correctly.  Its not to say that they don't care about character and integrity, I think its possible to care about dress, behavior, character and integrity.

And of course thats just what I've seen.  Most new money has something to prove, so they care about dressing well and fitting in.  Sure, there are those silicone valley geniuses for whom money was mostly  a by product of their passion for technology, and for those guys, dressing up is the hoodie that doesn't have the stain on it.  Even old money cares about dress and behavior, although they consider it tacky to be flashy, so they normally wouldn't be caught dead in Louboutain shoes,

But I also think its wildly inappropriate to show up to a formal cruise ship dinner in cut off shorts.

• Love 2

I think dressing appropriately for the occasion is merely good manners.  Even the Walmart People on the internet are called out on how they dress-- and I'm sure most of them feel they're 'above' worrying how they look ;)  Wealth has nothing to do with it.  Truly wealthy people may show up somewhere with shorts and tees on but you can bet your bottom dollar they aren't Old Navy.  And the jewelry won't be left at home.

• Love 1
(edited)

Even the Walmart People on the internet are called out on how they dress-- and I'm sure most of them feel they're 'above' worrying how they look ;)

I put on a clean t-shirt when I go to Walmart, but I'd probably still rather have tea with one of "those Walmart people" than any of the posers showing their proverbial asses on this show. 

Yes, I am one of those Walmart people - cats aren't cheap to feed.  :-)

ETA - the really rich people I've know would be giving the side-eye to someone appearing on a reality show quicker than they'd raise an eyebrow at my wardrobe choices.  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1
(edited)

Most off-putting to me about Juliet's venison remark was her repeating "Bambi" as if awaiting applause for some novel bon mot. And the posts regarding the nomenclature of edible animals made me alexandermuse on whether it is deer or venison I'm not eating, and realize that it's like how a cow/steer outstanding in its field becomes beef when reclining on a dinnerplate. Like chicken/poultry; shrimp/seafood. Or fish and… uh, will okay I guess fish but youknowwhatImean.

BTW, I DO think Noelle's dress was something that would pass muster in Cruella's wardrobe - but that is not such a terrible thing. Really, though... if anyone resembles DeVil it is Caprise. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RD7DH7Ix0Bg/TEeoWp79SpI/AAAAAAAAAEc/kOv8UbBsr90/s1600/Sexy-Cruella-cruella-devil-3271320-1717-1995.jpg

It does seem tacky, if nothing else, to use the term 'muse' in reference to oneself even once. With six you get an eye-roll  But after reading her remembrance of McQueen in Harpers Bazaar I feel there was enough actual closeness there for her to have suffered a real loss - of identity as well as companionship - with his death.  http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-designers/annabelle-neilson-remembers-alexander-mcqueen

Like other posters, I've had many a chance to dine with and/or squire about some household names and also well-off people of accomplishment but not fame. In thinking back, it seems that with statism whether it be money or recognition, comes confidence. So I believe the people who have impressed me most with their acceptance of eccentricity are those with solid enough self-possession and wisdom to see the character over the accoutrement. If a host is worth their perceived status, the intelligence and kindness of their guest will trump any ignorance or flaunting of custom. If any of that makes any sense. If someone achieved their station by being an asshole, they will have all kinds of rules about what they want at their dinner table that makes me give a fuck about sitting at it.

Finally, don't these Brits know that the only titles that mean anything are TWOPs? I mean come on - Countess or Fanatic? Queen or Stalker? "heebiejeebie's dead! Long live heebiejeebie"! 

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 2
(edited)

Like other posters, I've had many a chance to dine with and/or squire about some household names and also well-off people of accomplishment but not fame. In thinking back, it seems that with statism whether it be money or recognition, comes confidence. So I believe the people who have impressed me most with their acceptance of eccentricity are those with solid enough self-possession and wisdom to see the character over the accoutrement. If a host is worth their perceived status, the intelligence and kindness of their guest will trump any ignorance or flaunting of custom. If any of that makes any sense. If someone achieved their station by being an asshole, they will have all kinds of rules about what they want at their dinner table that makes me give a fuck about sitting at it.

Finally, don't these Brits know that the only titles that mean anything are TWOPs? I mean come on - Countess or Fanatic? Queen or Stalker? "heebiejeebie's dead! Long live heebiejeebie"! 

I think its incorrect to  assume that people of wealth or status are automatically confident.  I think that those forces that drive a person to become a success or to obtain status last a lifetime, and are imprinted on a person to such a degree that they aren't easily erased with money or status.  Look at Oprah, even after she became a rousing success, for years and years, she lacked confidence about her appearance.

But I also don't think that wisdom or self possession are mutually exclusive of expecting people to dress appropriately.  If anything, I think quite often, people with status who welcome those who don't dress appropriately can be patronizing and condescending towards their guests. Those people will always accept someone who is dressed crazy, because it will always make them feel somewhat better about themselves.  Its much easier for them to be friends with someone that they don't see as a threat and someone who can make them feel better about themselves. If they are at a formal dinner with someone who is wearing cutoff jean shorts and a "dont mess with Texas" tee shirt, how much better to they look by comparison?  

I respect people who are straight forward, because if they expect me to dress appropriately it means they expect the same of me as they expect of themselves, which means that they believe we are on the same level and aren't going to patronize me.  And dressing appropriate may not mean that I need to buy the latest Christian Dior bag, or the newest Gucci dress, but it means that if I'm at a formal dinner, I need to wear something appropriate, even if its from WalMart, KMart, or a thrift store.

I certainly can't agree with the proposition that someone who expects me to dress appropriately is someone who has achieved their status by being an asshole.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 2

How about Noelle? She's constantly pursing her lips, or making them pout. She's the one I can't stand.

I can't figure out how she was ever a model. I mean, I guess she has nice bone structure, but it doesn't seem all that spectacular.  I have yet to even find a runway modeling photo of her.  She has more of a "glamour" model look like Caprice.  

l sincerely hope that she gets married to this asshole thinking someday she'll access his billion and ends up leading a pauper life b/c this guy is so cheap he'd rather go to jail and hide his billions than pay a small amount to his ex.  

SNN1729A--620_1656014a.jpg

Nemo found!

• Love 1
(edited)
l sincerely hope that she gets married to this asshole thinking someday she'll access his billion and ends up leading a pauper life b/c this guy is so cheap he'd rather go to jail and hide his billions than pay a small amount to his ex.

I don't understand Noelle.  If the man she's with is hiding money from his ex-wife; what makes her think that if they get married, he won't meet someone else and do the same thing to her?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6

I believe if you're gonna be a gold-digger, be a smart one. Noelle is a dumb one. How are you gonna go after a man who is literally hiding hundreds of millions, if not billions, from his ex-wife and think he wouldn't do the same to you? How are you gonna date a man with all this money and be sleeping on your friend's couch for months on end? She is a pretty girl and she's dated at least one other man, that we know about, who had money and wasn't shady so what the hell possessed her to move onto someone like Scot? She's too greedy. Greedy and stupid.

• Love 4

I believe if you're gonna be a gold-digger, be a smart one. Noelle is a dumb one. How are you gonna go after a man who is literally hiding hundreds of millions, if not billions, from his ex-wife and think he wouldn't do the same to you? How are you gonna date a man with all this money and be sleeping on your friend's couch for months on end? She is a pretty girl and she's dated at least one other man, that we know about, who had money and wasn't shady so what the hell possessed her to move onto someone like Scot? She's too greedy. Greedy and stupid.

I've seen Deadly Women - she is probably planning on killing him with arsenic.....just as soon as she finds those billions....

I believe if you're gonna be a gold-digger, be a smart one. Noelle is a dumb one.

I don't think he'll ever marry her, or if he does, he'll spend all his newfound money on a younger hotter honey.  :-)

• Love 2

I don't think he'll ever marry her, or if he does, he'll spend all his newfound money on a younger hotter honey.  :-)

He probably shouldn't marry her.  According to my extensive research watching ID shows, arsenic is tasteless, hard to trace, and a horrible way to die

• Love 2

He probably shouldn't marry her.  According to my extensive research watching ID shows, arsenic is tasteless, hard to trace, and a horrible way to die

I associate arsenic with Flowers in the Attic. Thanks for the image in my head now. 

• Love 1
(edited)

According to my extensive research watching ID shows, arsenic is tasteless, hard to trace, and a horrible way to die

Fellow ID watcher, so I must add the ubiquitous death by antifreeze.  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

I associate arsenic with Flowers in the Attic. Thanks for the image in my head now. 

Muahahaha...you're welcome.  What a blast from the past though, I read that book literally like 25 years ago, before anyone even thought about a Kindle or an IPAD.  I remember having to hide the paperback from my parents.  :)  VC Andrews has issues....

Fellow ID watcher, so I must add the ubiquitous death by antifreeze.  :-)

Yes walnutqueen, how soon I forget the sweet, silent killer.  Tastes like koolaid, but kills like rat poison.  Can be easily obtained and slipped into a cocktail or a milkshake.  If Scot has any friends they will invite Candace DeLong to his bachelor party :)

• Love 1

Muahahaha...you're welcome.  What a blast from the past though, I read that book literally like 25 years ago, before anyone even thought about a Kindle or an IPAD.  I remember having to hide the paperback from my parents.  :)  VC Andrews has issues....

I watched part of the original movie on HBO or something, skimmed a bit of the book and found it boring (I think I mostly read the ending), and watched the Lifetime adaptation (but couldn't make myself sit through Petals). Still, that was enough to make me think FITA when I hear arsenic.

• Love 1

I watched part of the original movie on HBO or something, skimmed a bit of the book and found it boring (I think I mostly read the ending), and watched the Lifetime adaptation (but couldn't make myself sit through Petals). Still, that was enough to make me think FITA when I hear arsenic.

I think I read the book at the right time.  It was an exciting, guilty pleasure for a teenager, but I think it might be a little much for the average adult.  I think everyone should be conscious of arsenic.  If my future boyfriend or husband tries to kill me he better not do it with arsenic or antifreeze, because the second something tastes funny or if I get sick after eating something I'm calling the police.  I've watched enough ID shows to know whats what!

• Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if Noelle thinks that if she hangs around in his circles through this period of uncertainty and people believe she's not a real gold digger, she'll get her hooks into one of his billionaire friends and find someone who will actually spend it on her.

Whatever the case, this is the girl that really grates on me.  It's painfully obvious she's a gold digger and unless they aren't showing other things she's got going on, her main job seems to be convincing everyone she's not a gold digger and finding some way to latch onto British society and become someone the paps chase.

Caprice, as phony and annoying as she seems, at least seems to have more going for her than latching onto someone else.  Somehow this barely average looking person managed to get people in the UK interested in her and now has some sort of legit business.

• Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if Noelle thinks that if she hangs around in his circles through this period of uncertainty and people believe she's not a real gold digger, she'll get her hooks into one of his billionaire friends and find someone who will actually spend it on her.

Whatever the case, this is the girl that really grates on me.  It's painfully obvious she's a gold digger and unless they aren't showing other things she's got going on, her main job seems to be convincing everyone she's not a gold digger and finding some way to latch onto British society and become someone the paps chase.

Caprice, as phony and annoying as she seems, at least seems to have more going for her than latching onto someone else.  Somehow this barely average looking person managed to get people in the UK interested in her and now has some sort of legit business.

Thats actually not a bad plan.  She just needs to stop a) loudly declaring that she doesn't want him for his money and b) behaving like she is put out by the fact that he doesn't have any money.  In other words, if it weren't for her, the plan would work out well!

• Love 3

Thats actually not a bad plan.  She just needs to stop a) loudly declaring that she doesn't want him for his money and b) behaving like she is put out by the fact that he doesn't have any money.  In other words, if it weren't for her, the plan would work out well!

Absolutely!  I think she's smart enough to convince these guys (she also dated one of the Mellon's) but dumb enough not to see that these guys probably look at her as though she's a gold digger and just use her for the sex.  I can totally see this guy getting his money and then moving onto a different piece -- and likely someone who makes her own money and doesn't need his.

• Love 1

Well Noelle basically bragged about coming to London chasing cash and then met Scott thinking she was going from millions to billions.  Thing is Scott seems like a huge attention trollope on the show so I suspect Noelle has a giant expiration date needled in botox right beside the cheek implants and lip injections and she is too stupid to realize it.  She doesn't seem to have figured out Scott is typical aging lowlife piggish insecure sagging scrotum of a man and as her age increases his "her" age likely stays the same.  She keeps spraying that air freshner and refuses to realize he knows the difference between febreeze and that genuine new car smell.

i think Scott wanting someone who makes her own money is a bit too generous though.  I think he wants someone more famous than poor Noelle.  Someone who brings the spotlight on him in what he thinks is a "dontchawishyouwerehim" kind of way.  For now as he dodges the tax man and the alimony attorneys Noelle and her little show that airs in the States right now fits that bill. 

Caprice, as phony and annoying as she seems, at least seems to have more going for her than latching onto someone else.  Somehow this barely average looking person managed to get people in the UK interested in her and now has some sort of legit business.

I never realized just how virulent the reality show business is in the UK.  the US likely has as many but we don't recycle the same people in every single thing.  That tawdry piece of plastic has done every reality show she could wrangle her way onto over there.  And a few over here now.  Those shows offer rather paltry pay and even with a few tabloid pocket change for pics arrangements, I don't care how big an empire she claims, I bet she has a list of creditors she will have to dodge in the not too near future unless the UK television market suddenly explodes with older reality show fare.  Can you imagine the dark pit of insecurity that is this poseur?  Ironic huh?  What with Noelle actually wanting to be more like her?

• Like 1
  • Love 3