Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Preemies, Weed & Infidelity

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Finally watched. And like everyone else Harris  is still highly annoying. I don't know if it's the acting choices, the character in general, or just the way they are writing her, but dear lord please just get her off the screen. Can they deport her in exchange for Daddy Dishwasher? I liked him. 

I don't mind the love triangle. I do feel bad for Ben as he seems like a nice guy, but I think Darlene and David are endgame, especially with Galecki seemingly free now that Big Bang is over.

And I'm with Jackie. Don't name that baby after the evil that is Beverly!! 

• Love 10

Now with antibiotics they can let you go a little longer if your water breaks.  2 months premature is 32 weeks.  32 weeks is moderately premature.  This isn't a micro premie.  This isn't a very premature baby.   This baby has an uncomfortable road ahead but should catch up with no real long term issues.  It is scary to have a premature baby but I felt like they were't reassuring Becky that while this wasn't ideal it wasn't as bad as it could be.  So at 32 weeks they'd pump her full of antibiotics and steroids and try to keep the pregnancy going long enough for the steroids to do their thing.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Yup-  I feel like maybe they should base some of Harris off of Emma Kenney’s real life personality.  I saw an interview where she was talking about astrology and she was just so cute.  Also she tends to really look at characters (introvert vs extrovert, the quote I posted about David above), just a very curious and analyzing girl.   Let’s see some of that versus just this gruff “gotta do all the bad things for reasons” character. 

• Love 6

My problem with Harris is that she has no discernible sense of humor. Becky was bratty but she was hilarious. Darlene was sarcastic but she got in the best zingers. This show is supposed to be funny but as long as the writers don't write funny scripts they have no hope of being the kind of leviathan the original show was.

• Love 11

Becky was bratty at times and annoyed me, but she helped around the house, cared for DJ, and even gossip and schemed with Darlene at times. When she went too far, she was hurt by Dan snubbing her. She really wanted her parents approval despite everything.

I see none of that with Harris. So they need to go back to the drawing board or give her minimal screen time.

• Love 15

Harris doesn't bother me, but she can't hold a candle to her mother or aunt when they were her age, and how could she, since the writing now can't hold a candle to the writing then.  Teenage Becky and Darlene were central characters of the show, while Harris is a secondary character.  They don't have much time to work with in developing her, but they're also not making very good use of the time they do have. 

• Love 10

Having been to a couple of tapings, I can say they film a LOT for the Conners.  To me it seems almost like half of what they film doesn’t end up in the show.   They definitely film a lot more DJ but his scenes are the first to go.  The same thing might be happening with Harris.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

Plus Harris might as well be one of those undercover cops from "21 Jump Street" soon... I never realized how quickly people age until I compared 18 year old Alyson Hannigan (still looked like a kid/teen) in The Torkelsons/Almost Home with how she looked at 23 in Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1 (definitely looked like an adult)

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Glendenning said:

Plus Harris might as well be one of those undercover cops from "21 Jump Street" soon... I never realized how quickly people age until I compared 18 year old Alyson Hannigan (still looked like a kid/teen) in The Torkelsons/Almost Home with how she looked at 23 in Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1 (definitely looked like an adult)

Whats bizarre is they could have easily made her older-  she was actually supposed to be in her 20s anyway.  But I guess they wanted someone who still had to answer to their parents.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BeachDays said:

Having been to a couple of tapings, I can say they film a LOT for the Conners.  To me it seems almost like half of what they film doesn’t end up in the show.  

That's not a particularly good sign; it's one thing with an hour-long drama that is plot heavy and inevitably has fat to trim in making air time, but on a sitcom, with a much easier schedule and thus more time to fine-tune the script so there isn't much "we'll shoot it all and see what plays" excess come taping day, it's not common (and isn't how the show worked back in the day).  To an extent, it's nice to have options in editing, but it's a short trip to the line where there's so much overage because they're not confident in what they're doing after writing and rehearsal.  This show is somewhat awkward - I would never watch it as a new show with unknown-to-me characters; I don't only like it because of the strong nostalgia factor, but that definitely papers over some issues - and that atypical filming process fits in with that overall lack of firing on all cylinders.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

Whats bizarre is they could have easily made her older-  she was actually supposed to be in her 20s anyway.  But I guess they wanted someone who still had to answer to their parents.  

Could have been worse... They could have retconned her to Mary Sue Torkelson's age - Harris as a five year old carrying around a doll that she says makes funny comments....

45 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's not a particularly good sign; it's one thing with an hour-long drama that is plot heavy and inevitably has fat to trim in making air time, but on a sitcom, with a much easier schedule and thus more time to fine-tune the script so there isn't much "we'll shoot it all and see what plays" excess come taping day, it's not common (and isn't how the show worked back in the day).  To an extent, it's nice to have options in editing, but it's a short trip to the line where there's so much overage because they're not confident in what they're doing after writing and rehearsal.  This show is somewhat awkward - I would never watch it as a new show with unknown-to-me characters; I don't only like it because of the strong nostalgia factor, but that definitely papers over some issues - and that atypical filming process fits in with that overall lack of firing on all cylinders.

Oh I agree.   I’m actually pretty surprised this is the case.  I will say the episode I watched (which is next weeks episode) seemed to be a lot tighter than the one that I saw last year.  But it really feels like they are writing the episodes more like an hour long dramedy then a sitcom. And actually that reminds me of something else I wanted to mention.   Attending these tapings doesn’t feel like watching another sitcoms being filmed- bc the audience loves this show and these characters.  We want to know what is happening next and we care about their lives.   The warm up guy had to remind us to audibly react bc he said we are so intensely watching what is going on that we get immersed versus providing an adequate laugh track.  And that was exactly my experience.   Strangely too invested.   And I’m wondering if the writing is falling the same way.

For example-  Harris’s “burn” towards Darlene about never being around.   If Becky or Darlene has said that to Roseanne back in the day, the audience would have “ooooh”d it.  But in this?  Complete silence.  At home watching it feels like it fell flat.  But I’m betting the audience didn’t react bc they wanted to know what happened next and not miss anything.  (Well that, or this was the 3rd or 4th take lol).  

Hopefully as the season goes on, the writing gets tighter and tighter.  I feel like the cast has way more confidence this time around too.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
On 9/25/2019 at 8:37 AM, jewel21 said:

So the one thing that made me pause was seeing Becky in labour sitting in a wheelchair in the waiting room. Now, I only know from TV, but usually when someone is in labour they rush them off quickly. Is it normal to keep a geriatric mother in premature labour sitting around a waiting room? Also, Becky's water broke at the house so would they even be able to stop her contractions/labour?

If this were real life, Becky would not have ever been in the emergency room. She would have been admitted directly to labor and delivery. I worked in an ER for 10 years and the very last thing anyone there wants is a woman giving birth. I think it happened once in the years I worked there and that was a patient who didn't know she was pregnant.

And the scenes in the NICU were beyond ridiculous. No staff at all? People just wandering in and opening incubators? That doesn't happen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

"Rose is MRS. Kennedy!" (IIRC)

Glad it's back but some things felt a little rushed. They could have left out the David drama since we never did see him. OR have him show up to the hospital because Harris called him. He always liked Becky.

Harris....First of all she would never ever get away with the baking without SOMEONE catching on in her house. I've made plenty of cookies and candy. Anyway I've done it smells up my entire house. But she was right....start with a half. I told my husband the same thing a few weeks ago. He didn't listen either.

It's weird I liked the actress on Shameless but she falls flat here for me and I don't know why. (OMG...The Torkelsons,AlmostHome..I was looking for those recently)

I wish they would have reshot the beginning. I liked fresh openings through the seasons.

That scene with Dan and the afghan square made up for everything though. I may have cried a lil when Becky finally saw Beverly. (GAH! That's going to take a minute to get used to.) Speaking of Grandma Bev. WHY is everyone calling her BEV? I would have been slapped into Thursday for even uttering my Grandparents given name.

All things considered, I'm glad it's back, even if I have some minor bitches and moans. 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

@FairyDusted:  I too wish they'd re-shot the intro for the new season because (1) the last season Roseanne was a lot better (and I'm not referring to it just because Roseanne was in it); and (2) I don't really like the Dan sausage in and out of his mouth thing.

I HATE that sausage thing John does! Ugh! 

Totally agree on all fronts.

Edited by FairyDusted
Cuz I was high the first time...Caught my misread on the next buzz. Yummm! Cookies
  • Love 8

I'm watching the old Rosanne episode where Jackie gives birth and we learn her real name is either Marjorie or Mary Jane. Yet Jackie refers to herself as Jacqueline at least twice in the reboot. Once in this episode regarding naming Becky's baby.

With so much reruns, you'd think the writers get it right because *we* never forget. But what do we expect from a show that forgot Jackie gave birth in the first place? LOL

Edited by Snow Apple
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm watching the old Rosanne episode where Jackie gives birth and we learn her real name is either Marjorie or Mary Jane. Yet Jackie refers to herself as Jacqueline at least twice in the reboot. Once in this episode regarding naming Becky's baby.

With so much reruns, you'd think the writers get it right because *we* never forget. But what do we expect from a show that forgot Jackie gave birth in the first place? LOL

I just watched that one too. I don't mind pulling all nighters on Fridays. Though I have the box set....I've had the same disk on standby forever. I can't sleep to just anything;) LOL! 

ETA: The writing much like the soap world rewrites history and expects us to forget all the time. Drives me INSANE! The writing teams on the Original changed how many story lines?! The Dad, Jackie, how Dan and Roseanne met...

Edited by FairyDusted
  • Love 4

I work in an ER and it drove me crazy that they had Becky sitting in a wheelchair after her water broke. No! As stated above, no one wants to deliver a baby in the ER, least of all the staff. It would have been an immediate call to labor and delivery and that wheelchair being pushed up to the floor while the call was being made. Especially for a geriatric (any woman over 35 years of age), premature delivery.

I used to love Darlene but I wanted to smack her during this episode. Your social life comes after your kids and she should know better. It is one thing to go out on Friday night, it's another to be home late every night because you are making out with one of your two boyfriends. Harris is acting out, last year with the drinking and now with the pot cookies, and instead of putting her own wants aside for her kid, she is just throwing out meaningless punishments and still getting together with the men. 

I used to tell my kids that their being grounded was as much a punishment for me as them as I had to make sure they were staying home which meant giving up things I wanted to do but that it was worth it to teach them the lesson. It's part of being a parent.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 10
On 9/25/2019 at 11:37 AM, jewel21 said:

So the one thing that made me pause was seeing Becky in labour sitting in a wheelchair in the waiting room. Now, I only know from TV, but usually when someone is in labour they rush them off quickly. Is it normal to keep a geriatric mother in premature labour sitting around a waiting room? Also, Becky's water broke at the house so would they even be able to stop her contractions/labour?

So, quick story.  When I was in labor with my 2nd baby (my first came pretty fast) I asked for a wheelchair upon arrival because I was already so far along.  They parked me in a wheelchair and I sat in the lobby for about 45 minutes!  I said to the receptionist (because they were not medical professionals) that my first baby came really fast and I needed to get up to the delivery wing.  They told me I HAD to wait for transport because I had already asked for it and it was against hospital policy for me to change my mind and walk up.  I waited another fifteen minutes!  Then, they took their sweet time rolling me up, saying hi to all their friends, etc.  By the time I got up to the delivery wing and they finally inspected me to see how far along I was I was crowning and they had to rush me into the delivery room.  Less than 30 minutes later I had a baby.  So, that didn't surprise me at all. 

• Love 4
On 9/25/2019 at 11:56 AM, BeachDays said:

Yeah I was scratching my head too.  Now I’m trying to remember what happened with Darlene-  did her water break too?  She ultimately had a c-section didn’t she?  I felt like things were more dire with her than with Becky.  

Darlene's water broke after she was already admitted into the hospital and had been receiving IV drugs to stop labor. Jackie's broke at the Lunchbox. And they blamed Leon. LMAO. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

Yup-  I feel like maybe they should base some of Harris off of Emma Kenney’s real life personality.  

Or, if nothing else, crib off of her Debbie Gallagher character on Shameless.

Debbie has always bugged the shit out of me too. I'm starting to think it's the actress. 

• Love 1

It was great, loved it..although I didn't really like Darlene/David/Ben triangle and that's mainly because I can't stand love triangles of any kind.

Becky's name for her baby was nice, loved how they did a throw back to Harris being a preemie. Loved when Dan put the iconic blanket on the baby's incubator..so sweet!

Can't wait for next week's episode.

Edited by ESS
  • Love 3

I don’t know who is writing the show these days, but they would be hard pressed to find plots I like less than a premie baby and whiney guilt, a snarky teen selling pot cookies and not caring it is illegal, and a love triangle with a decent guy and a proven loser from the past. I’ve posted before that these characters make stupid decisions. Fine. But if you make them, own them. Try to be a baby machine at what, 37? 40? Yep, there are risks. Complain about men but then don’t be honest to two who love you? You get what you deserve. Refuse to follow basic laws? Go to jail and get suspended. And Darlene blames her dad? Good grief. Next. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, Ottis said:

I don’t know who is writing the show these days, but they would be hard pressed to find plots I like less than a premie baby and whiney guilt, a snarky teen selling pot cookies and not caring it is illegal, and a love triangle with a decent guy and a proven loser from the past. I’ve posted before that these characters make stupid decisions. Fine. But if you make them, own them. Try to be a baby machine at what, 37? 40? Yep, there are risks. Complain about men but then don’t be honest to two who love you? You get what you deserve. Refuse to follow basic laws? Go to jail and get suspended. And Darlene blames her dad? Good grief. Next. 

Darlene blamed Dan for not noticing what Harris was doing since he was the responsible adult she left her kids with. Not unreasonable. She didn't blame him for what Harris did, only for not noticing.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Darlene blamed Dan for not noticing what Harris was doing since he was the responsible adult she left her kids with. Not unreasonable. She didn't blame him for what Harris did, only for not noticing.

I’m not sure we know when Harris made the cookies and who was home and charged with watching her. Given Harris’ age (she should be able to stay home alone at this point), I don’t know that there was any clear expectation that Dan should notice anything or even be home. In addition, do pot cookies smell different than regular cookies or are they mostly regular cookies with some pot in them? Maybe there wasn’t much to notice. Darlene’s kid buys weed, says it isn’t a big deal and then, among other things perhaps, makes cookies with it. That’s a parenting issue, though admittedly this family sort of co-parents (badly). 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, bobalina said:

True, but what was the reason Darlene wasn't at home with Harris after work most of the time?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Darlene works.

Yes she does. Harris is old enough not to need her mommy home with her every minute. Darlene wasn't blaming Dan, she just wondered why he didn't notice the pot cookies. Didn't Harris use more pot than was needed? I would think you'd smell that shit.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes she does. Harris is old enough not to need her mommy home with her every minute. Darlene wasn't blaming Dan, she just wondered why he didn't notice the pot cookies. Didn't Harris use more pot than was needed? I would think you'd smell that shit.

Agreed-  I think Darlene had a valid point.   And Dan had an even more valid point.  I actually loved this moment between them.  It felt messy and real.  

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

Agreed-  I think Darlene had a valid point.   And Dan had an even more valid point.  I actually loved this moment between them.  It felt messy and real.  

I loved that argument in the kitchen, too, especially that she was right about the past and he was right about the present; that's very realistic as to what each would see accurately vs. have blinders on about.  (And, of course, that he'd turn it into a joke, that actually the TV raised them, heh.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, bobalina said:

Darlene works.

I know that.  Why wasn't she home after work instead of pretending to be working late at Ben's office and lying about being stuck on the expressway?  Because she was screwing around with David and not watching her own kid, or spending "quality time" together with the troubled teenager.  She wanted to blame her father for shit happening and not herself.

ETA: I don't mean to snark on any of the posters here!  I guess it wasn't clear that I was asking a rhetorical question.  :)

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 2
On 9/30/2019 at 10:08 PM, Ottis said:

Watching this episode made me realize how white trash these people are. They're losers and they know it, but they seem fine with just making jokes about it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Watching this episode made me realize how white trash these people are. They're losers and they know it, but they seem fine with just making jokes about it.

The lower class segment of society has been the entire point of Roseanne from the original beginning. The Conners have never been able to rise to even lower middle class status because they sabotage themselves. As Darlene is doing right now.  She will lose not only her relationship with Ben, and possibly David,  but her job too. It’s played for laughs, but sometimes the best way to point something out is with laughter. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 11

Was anyone else bothered by the fact that immediately after Becky had the baby they wheeled the baby out of the room, without cutting the umbilical cord?  I understand that they had to get the baby to NICU stat, but they didn't cut the umbilical cord.  Seemed quite unrealistic.

• Love 2

I can answer about the cookie situation. Let's say Harris did it old school and just added weed to the batter. Yup, that's gonna stink while baking and well after.

The better way to do it is reducing it down to butter or oil for baked goods. That requires a longer process and the whole house would smell for a good 24 hours.

Baked goods=creeper buzz. Newbies expect that immediate buzz so they keep eating, which is why she said half a cookie.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 10/2/2019 at 11:22 AM, mythoughtis said:

The lower class segment of society has been the entire point of Roseanne from the original beginning. The Conners have never been able to rise to even lower middle class status because they sabotage themselves. As Darlene is doing right now.  She will lose not only her relationship with Ben, and possibly David,  but her job too. It’s played for laughs, but sometimes the best way to point something out is with laughter. 

I can see a difference between the original post and yours, without either being wrong. Yes, Roseanne, and then The Connors, have always been about blue collar, lower socioeconomic people. But my recollection of the original show, and some of the beginning of this reincarnation, is that the family dealt with things that happened to them more than dumbass decisions by them.

One of the most pointed and impactful (and brief) statements from the return of Roseanne was when Roseanne matter-of-factly noted how all the neighbors had to share and trade medications because they were so expensive. That's a real thing, and it's cause isn't the Connors being dolts. Sure, they might have gone to college and had careers that allowed them to pay for meds, but also they are just people who didn't and that's OK.

But having babies while single at a late (for babies) age and with no real career to support them, and being dishonest to two men you ostensibly love, and leaving your kids alone to do whatever while you are two-timing, are all boneheaded choices. And this show seems to skew that way now, and it's more annoying than anything else. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Ottis said:

I can see a difference between the original post and yours, without either being wrong. Yes, Roseanne, and then The Connors, have always been about blue collar, lower socioeconomic people. But my recollection of the original show, and some of the beginning of this reincarnation, is that the family dealt with things that happened to them more than dumbass decisions by them.

One of the most pointed and impactful (and brief) statements from the return of Roseanne was when Roseanne matter-of-factly noted how all the neighbors had to share and trade medications because they were so expensive. That's a real thing, and it's cause isn't the Connors being dolts. Sure, they might have gone to college and had careers that allowed them to pay for meds, but also they are just people who didn't and that's OK.

But having babies while single at a late (for babies) age and with no real career to support them, and being dishonest to two men you ostensibly love, and leaving your kids alone to do whatever while you are two-timing, are all boneheaded choices. And this show seems to skew that way now, and it's more annoying than anything else. 

It’s all true.  The Connors(then and now)  made bad choices and they also had bad things happen to them that they didn’t cause:.factories closing, spouses dying etc.     People who have little reserves( energy, health, money, education, support, etc)  can’t get thru either the bad choices or the bad events as well as people who have more reserves. That’s the Conners.  

Becky is an example of what losing your spouse can do to a young adult. I’ve seen it happen in my extended family more than once.  None of the survivors really ever recovered to this day. Even the ones who spouses died  over 20 years ago. 

Darlene just makes bad choices.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 6

I rather like Harris. I'm not so sure that she looks unusually old for a 16-17 yo, she's just the tall one-- taking after her grandfather rather than her mum and dad. 
A young friend - well, come to think of it she's now 43- when she was a tee was 6' tall at 14, and it was difficult for her because she was often though of as being an adult. Contrariwise, my DD is 4'11" and is constantly taken for a child, although she too is 43 and has grey hair.

If I was working out the backstory to the cookies, Harris played hookey in the morning when Dan and Darlene were at work, baked her cookies, aired out the house and no adult is the wiser by the time they got home at  six or seven o'clock. Who feeds Mark who would be home around four or five? Is Harris responsible for that or does he make himself a light supper?

It will be interesting to see how they deal with the hospital bills. None of the family could afford what I understand are US health insurance costs. 

Are they eligilble for Medicare being so low income? Or can they even afford Obamacare?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

I rather like Harris. I'm not so sure that she looks unusually old for a 16-17 yo, she's just the tall one-- taking after her grandfather rather than her mum and dad. 
A young friend - well, come to think of it she's now 43- when she was a tee was 6' tall at 14, and it was difficult for her because she was often though of as being an adult. Contrariwise, my DD is 4'11" and is constantly taken for a child, although she too is 43 and has grey hair.

If I was working out the backstory to the cookies, Harris played hookey in the morning when Dan and Darlene were at work, baked her cookies, aired out the house and no adult is the wiser by the time they got home at  six or seven o'clock. Who feeds Mark who would be home around four or five? Is Harris responsible for that or does he make himself a light supper?

It will be interesting to see how they deal with the hospital bills. None of the family could afford what I understand are US health insurance costs. 

Are they eligilble for Medicare being so low income? Or can they even afford Obamacare?

They would be eligible fir Medicaid. A similar program for low income. Most super premies ( don't remember how early Becky was) are automatically put on it as are long term dialysis patients. Rhey also said they were at a county hospital, another indication they won't be paying much if at all

• Useful 3
On 9/25/2019 at 12:20 AM, BeachDays said:

I remember the two things that made me laugh the hardest-  Darlene and Jackie “looking for Harris’s earring” with the couch cushions, and “you are confusing having a baby with stealing muffins”.  

And the follow-up when Jackie said she better get to the hospital fast before Beverly wrapped the baby in a napkin and put her in her purse.

• LOL 4