Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Kids Today

SimoneS
  • Start Topic

Great premiere! Good to have you back, show!

Poor Buck. I love him spending the day with the adorable Christopher. Christopher's "you're going to be okay, kid." was absolutely precious. I am sure that he will end being a firefighter again or maybe become a medic.

As usual, I enjoyed all the rescues and was glad that they had happy endings. The kid driving the runaway car with his father played by Christopher Cousins was a funny rescue. I was glad that the mother and baby survived. 

I love Chimney and Maddie as a couple. They are so sweet. I hope they get married by the end of the season.

Bobby was looking at the baby longingly. I wonder if a child is in Bobby and Athena's future.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 16

Good start to the season. A lot of solid cases, and some character stuff!

I feel so bad for Buck. Five months of hard work and almost at the finish line, only to backslide due to blood clots. I'd be depressed if I were him as well. Luckily, it's Christopher to the rescue! Gavin McHugh has clearly gotten better as an actor, or maybe he's getting more lines this season. The Christopher/Buck scenes were delightful and I laughed at Christopher trying to cheer Buck up. That kid is going places. 

So, the cases were really good and I'm glad they all got happy endings. 

Chimney and Maddie are very cute. I wonder if the kids talk here will be foreshadowing a Maddie pregnancy at some point this season.

As for Athena and Bobby, we haven't gotten to see a whole lot of them as a married couple, but I grinned when he called her his wife.

• Love 13
34 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Jesus Christ, Buck can't catch a fucking break, can he?

Dont forget before he had a firetruck land on him, his sister was kidnapped and almost murdered by her evil ex, and AFTER that, he was dumped by his girlfriend for getting injured in the line of duty! I hope that he can get back to his job or find something else to do that makes him feel as full filled (and keep him on the show) but I also think he really is due for a nice vacation. With his luck though, his cruise liner will sink in the middle of shark infested waters while getting attacked by pirates AND sea monsters. 

• LOL 16
  • Love 8

The beginning of this episode showed the trouble with moving ahead as if it were "real time" during the hiatus.  For some things, like Buck almost being ready to come back to work, it worked.  But that left us with awkward jokes about not being invited to Athena and Bobby's wedding which everyone should have been past considering it was months ago.

I was very happy that Maddie and Chimney are so far proving to live up to the delightfulness they promised last season.

• Love 7

Great episode, nice mix of offbeat rescues, drama and character. Buck really got to me when he got the news, but he had to have known it was coming. He vomited up blood and didn't even remember? Blood clots are not a thing to mess around with. Very easily can kill you.

Bobby had the best line of the episode with the simple but telling "my wife". Perfection.

Could Christopher be any more adorable?

Maddie and Chim are better this season so far. I was pretty meh on them before, but they make a really cute couple.

That woman who kidnapped Jill was 50 shades of cray. Screw George. You don't go cutting a PREGNANT WOMAN UP AND PULLING OUT HER BABY.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, rhys said:

Wouldn't that yellow sports car be crumpled to bits after hitting the fire truck at 60 mph? Plus I thought the kid said the brakes didn't work. How did he get from 105 to 80 to 60?

The breaks worked just fine, but since the engine was still running the car will still being powered so it would just slow it down a bit till the break pads were worn down. I knew a guy who had the emergency breaks engaged and still went for a drive (car moved fine but the breaks were wrecked). You seen that after the firetruck stopped the Ferrari was still spinning its tires not being able to move the massive truck.

Hitting a stationary object at 80mph will kill you. Hitting a moving object is like hitting a stationary object at the difference in speed (assuming you are hitting it directly from the rear). So if you are going 80mph and you hit something that is going 60mph you basically hit a wall doing 20mph which is survivable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Bobby was looking at the baby longingly. I wonder if a child is in Bobby and Athena's future.

I don't know how old Athena is suppose to be, but Angela Basset is 61.  Unless they adopt, I don't see a new kid in their future.

31 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

Why did they have all the firemen in the truck if they were going to wreck it?

This.  All they really needed was the driver.  The others could have easily come in the second rescue truck which arrived just seconds later.

• Love 7

Good premier, I am really happy to have this show back! I liked all of the rescues, good mix of humor, drama, and heart, and that one with the baby was seriously messed up. That lady was next level scary!

Poor Buck, its always something. Him spitting out blood at the party was creepy, I hope that he can get back to work at some point, but its not looking great. He was so close and worked so hard, and is now back in the hospital. You dont want to mess with blood clots. At least sweet Christopher was there to help raise his spirits, Buck is so good with him and Christopher is such a cute kid. Of course their fun is ruined when even the freaking ocean itself decides that Buck hasn't had enough crap to deal with lately. 

I love hearing Bobby call Athena his wife and that things seem to be going well with them. I did wish that we could more of their early marriage, thats what you get with time jumps though. 

Chimney and Maddie are still cute, with all of the baby talk I wonder if they will end the season with a marriage or pregnancy?

Next week: The 9-1-1/Sharknado crossover we all demanded!

• LOL 9
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Next week: The 9-1-1/Sharknado crossover we all demanded!

I'm so happy I'm not the only one whose mind went there.  I felt like I was watching the first movie when we saw everyone on the pier looking out over the water.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SimoneS said:

A teenager speeds out of control on the freeway;

I’m old enough (Gen X’er here) to remember the Phil Collins score when it was the OG revenge scene on Miami Vice - one of the most iconic 80’s tv moments of all time! 

Yes, I welled up a tad @ the nostalgia. Just me? (Ok I’m also going through menopause. 🥴)

Welcome back to our 9-1-1 crew! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, rhys said:

Wouldn't that yellow sports car be crumpled to bits after hitting the fire truck at 60 mph? Plus I thought the kid said the brakes didn't work. How did he get from 105 to 80 to 60?

He said that the car started shaking when he hit the brakes. That happened again, but Maddie told him to keep braking anyway.

The kid's speech reminded me of Cameron's Ferrari speech in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

In the pier scene, I also thought of other tsunami scenes and would have started running. 

What was the bit at the beginning with Bobby and Athena's daughter and him telling her to look in a shed (did I get that right?) for platters?

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Mystery said:

What was the bit at the beginning with Bobby and Athena's daughter and him telling her to look in a shed (did I get that right?) for platters?

Yeah, that was a weird beat that wasn't followed up with anything.  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, meatball77 said:

I don't know if things are that bad for Buck.  Compare him to Chimney who had a bar through his head.

Chimney was also almost murdered by Maddy's ex. But who's keeping score? Not me 😉

8 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

After watching all the Phuket footage, I would have been going 100mph away from the pier the minute I saw the ocean disappear. 

Fun episode all around.

I know, right? I was yelling RUN YOU FOOLS! Or at least hoping that Buck, being a trained emergency responder, would wake up and yell it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Mystery said:

It makes me think that there may be a storyline with Bobby and Athena's daughter (whose name I can't remember at the moment). This show is usually fairly good at following up with storylines, so I assume that was an intentional moment.

11 hours ago, meatball77 said:

I don't know if things are that bad for Buck.  Compare him to Chimney who had a bar through his head.

Yeah, I was going to say that Buck has it bad, but Chimney's definitely had his fair share of bad things happening to him.

And I do remember that Buck basically had nothing to do for most of last season, up until the finale. He was kind of relegated to a background character after the earthquake stuff so it feels like he's getting everything thrown at him all at once.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I don't know how old Athena is suppose to be, but Angela Basset is 61.  Unless they adopt, I don't see a new kid in their future.

I think she's supposed to be in her early 50s. I remember when her ex-husband came out to her, he said something like "you married me at 37 because you were desperate to have kids," and the elder kid is like 14. She said straight out that she wasn't interested in starting over with another infant (and I don't blame her), but maybe they'll rescue an older kid and adopt him or something. (Angela Bassett's own children are young for her age - I think they are young teenagers.)

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I know, right? I was yelling RUN YOU FOOLS! Or at least hoping that Buck, being a trained emergency responder, would wake up and yell it.

It appears he does that next episode, but yeah. When I saw that wave, I was like "why are y'all standing there?" I assume they were in shock.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

It makes me think that there may be a storyline with Bobby and Athena's daughter (whose name I can't remember at the moment). This show is usually fairly good at following up with storylines, so I assume that was an intentional moment.

Me too. There was a moment after Bobby said that where she kind of had A Look on her face.

It's good to see Maddie and Chim happy. They deserve it.

• Love 4

Nice premiere but I was a tad disappointed that the tsunami didn't kick things off.  Now I have to wait a whole week.

The nut job who cut the baby out of the pregnant lady...that whole thing was just disturbing.  

• Love 5

So it looks like we're going to have a big, multiple-episode event again like the earthquake last year. I like that, but I think enough people know about tsunamis that if they saw that coming at them they'd be running the other way and screaming, not just standing there dumbfounded looking at it. 

I think it's a stretch that the teenager managed to keep the car going long enough for the fire truck to intercept it but this show does tend to border on the absurd just for effect. In all likelihood he would have wiped out way before anyone could have gotten to him.

It also kills me that they all end up working the same cases day in and day out even though they are all working at different departments.

What happened to Buck last season? He was the one pinned under the fire truck, right? But how did that happen? I remember the rescue scenes but not how he wound up under there.

• Love 3

I was beyond ready for this to come back on! I missed the 9-1-1 gang! I think this was a nice premiere episode.

I felt sorry for Buck. I know he was ready to go back to work, and then to hear that he hasn't been cleared yet, and even when he is, he'll be on light duty? I would've been pissed too. Yet I understand the department's reasons.

I hated the storyline with the pregnant lady whose baby was cut out. I hate to see, hear, read, etc. anything negative involving babies/children.

I hate Maddie/Chim together. I don't feel like they're the right fit. I so wish Hen's sexuality were different because I'd LOVE for Hen/Chim to be a couple!

Still not totally feeling Bobby/Athena yet. Hopefully they'll grow on me. And did anyone else get weird vibes when Athena's ex walked past the pic of Bobby/Athena? He was intently staring. Idk if it was longing for the past, jealousy, something else... just my imagination?

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

What happened to Buck last season? He was the one pinned under the fire truck, right? But how did that happen? I remember the rescue scenes but not how he wound up under there.

If I remember right, a kid that blamed Bobby for his father going to jail set a bomb on the truck, causing it to go over and pinned Buck.

10 minutes ago, Jennabelle88 said:

And did anyone else get weird vibes when Athena's ex walked past the pic of Bobby/Athena? He was intently staring. Idk if it was longing for the past, jealousy, something else... just my imagination?

Think this will be an ongoing plot, think feeling insecure about his place in the family, which did seem a plot point last season too, but must have unresolved feelings. He seems the most upset about being left out of wedding, while the others were more joking.

This was good, I do like the high drama/absurdity of the situations! If I have one nitpick it is that previous seasons seem to emphasis, that the teams job stops at the hospital doors and they don't always find out what happens after that, so it was weird that everyone was hanging around with the mother and baby in the hospital.

Buck and Christopher are supercute. Love Buck maybe how he deals with the tsunami will lead to him getting his job back, or a new career path if that's not possible?

I like Chim and Maddie together. Think Eddie and Buck will have to get together and then everyone will be paired off into happy couples, I do like their bromance and that Eddie was the one to kick Buck out of bed.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's a stretch that the teenager managed to keep the car going long enough for the fire truck to intercept it but this show does tend to border on the absurd just for effect. In all likelihood he would have wiped out way before anyone could have gotten to him.

You do remember the episode with the shark on the highway right?  The car on the highway was super realistic compared to other things on this show.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, peace355 said:

Think this will be an ongoing plot, think feeling insecure about his place in the family, which did seem a plot point last season too, but must have unresolved feelings. He seems the most upset about being left out of wedding, while the others were more joking.

He also broke up with his boyfriend last season, so I'm guessing he feels a little unmoored. I don't think he wants Athena back - he IS gay, after all - but he probably feels a little sad that Athena is in a happy relationship and he's not.

• Love 11

Well I just got around to seeing this episode tonight (fun fact - I was at the Phil Collins concert last night which was why I missed watching and my favorite P.C. song is In the Air Tonight, so I got to hear it two days in a row). 

The episode was fun - I have been rewatching the first two seasons, and it’s drama but campy drama so I don’t feel exhausted watching it. I love the Buck/Eddie/Christopher stuff so much. Christopher should be on all tv shows. People would be less mopey I think. Chim and Maddie were cute but not grating, which was nice. 

I was ready to see the tsunami this week but the episode format followed last seasons opener with the earthquake at the end, I believe. Looking forward to seeing next episode!

• Love 4

The story about the women going to buy baby clothes was taken from the true story here in Chicago which happened this summer. My husband is a police officer and was involved in the case. Sadly, the mother and baby died but I'm glad they had a happy ending here. I couldnt remember at first what happened with Buck-I remember Maddie and her Ex, and Bobby and Athena's wedding though. 

I also thought something was going to happen with Athena's daughter when they said the thing about going to get something from the shed. I was sad to see Buck couldn't go back to work but it is realistic that these kind of things can happen after an accident. Christopher is adorable.

• Love 5
On 9/23/2019 at 11:13 PM, tvgoddess said:

Great episode, nice mix of offbeat rescues, drama and character. Buck really got to me when he got the news, but he had to have known it was coming. He vomited up blood and didn't even remember? Blood clots are not a thing to mess around with. Very easily can kill you.

Bobby had the best line of the episode with the simple but telling "my wife". Perfection.

Could Christopher be any more adorable?

Maddie and Chim are better this season so far. I was pretty meh on them before, but they make a really cute couple.

That woman who kidnapped Jill was 50 shades of cray. Screw George. You don't go cutting a PREGNANT WOMAN UP AND PULLING OUT HER BABY.

So this happened in real life. There was a Lifetime movie about it and it came out during my first pregnancy. Or that's when my sister watched it. She lived in fear that this would happen to me! I was very careful with strangers. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Court said:

So this happened in real life. There was a Lifetime movie about it and it came out during my first pregnancy. Or that's when my sister watched it. She lived in fear that this would happen to me! I was very careful with strangers. 

I think there was also an SVU episode that used the same plot.  What's kind of scary is that it may have been prior to the woman attempting it in real life.

I'm fairly realistic about the actual chances of Buck and Eddie getting together--ie, nil--so I almost wish the show would stop teasing it.  I don't think I've ever actually wanted two characters who aren't gay or aren't shown as at least being conflicted about their orientation before to do that.  I know it's easy to misread a close male friendship has having a sexual dimension, but I honestly get more romantic chemistry from them.  Even more impressive since both are straight,AFAIK.

• Love 7

You know i was thinking I really didn’t like Buck during the pilot episode.  My exact post about him was:  

“That young firefighter guy who got fired and then rehired is going to annoy me though,”

Funny how a character can go from least favorite to someone you genuinely like and start shipping with another dude who he will never end up with (probably -this is Ryan Murphy so who knows) because the actor has chemistry with the guy and his onscreen kid.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

The story about the women going to buy baby clothes was taken from the true story here in Chicago which happened this summer. My husband is a police officer and was involved in the case. 

Sadly there are more than one real-life cases of this happening. Scary.

Have they ever said exactly what the situation is with Christopher? Does he have cerebral palsy? 

• Love 3
On 9/24/2019 at 2:02 PM, iMonrey said:

think it's a stretch that the teenager managed to keep the car going long enough for the fire truck to intercept it but this show does tend to border on the absurd just for effect. In all likelihood he would have wiped out way before anyone could have gotten to him.

Well if this show were real he could have just turned off the ignition and stopped the engine that way. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/25/2019 at 5:22 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Well if this show were real he could have just turned off the ignition and stopped the engine that way. 

The runaway car reminded me of this story from Rescue 911.  The driver couldn't turn off the car for some unknown reason. 

I know we can't expect realism with this show, but ...

Wouldn't the pregnant lady have bled out? I know Maddie told her to find a cloth and apply pressure, but she would have lost a lot of blood by the time she made the phone call.

I like the idea of  Bobby and Athena together, but I don't feel it. Oh well. I do always love the scenes at their house.

How about the old guy with the STD?  Ewww. 

3 hours ago, Josette said:

The runaway car reminded me of this story from Rescue 911.  The driver couldn't turn off the car for some unknown reason. 

Probably because the steering would lock up and even though the car would slow down, he wouldn't be able to steer it around traffic or even off to the side of the road.

3 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

For sure.  I know seniors have and enjoy sex (yay for them!), and they may spread STDs. His just seemed extra yukky from the reaction of the firefighters looking at it. 🤢

True enough. I probably tuned out because of it. 😉

I think they are leading us to a Maddie gets pregnant storyline because they spent so much time talking about having children. I think she looks like she might be pregnant and they building it into the script.

Which is a lot better then the way they usually handle it by hiding the belly.