Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Spoilers (and Spoiler Discussion)

GMW writers tweeted that Eric will be back in another Season 2 episode called "Girl Meets Mr. Squirrels Goes to Washington"

The plot centers on Newly selected Senatorial candidate, Eric Matthews, entering the political arena.

Any predictions on what's going happen in this episode? Thoughts?

• Love 1

I imagine Eric's delving into politics will be a secondary plot point or catalyst for the A-story, but who knows?

And apparently Angela and undead Chet will be showing up next season as well.  That makes me wonder if our general speculation about Shawn and Katy Hart is closer to the mark than we guessed...

My problem with Angela is she was a downer, she seemed like she had no energy or was mature beyond her age on the show.  She was in a word boring.  Shawn needed some one with more personality in my opinion.  He had a difficult life and essentially he needed a female Cory, not a female Shawn.

• Love 4

I liked Angela just fine, but I don't need to see her come back. Not everyone is Cory & Topanga, who have only one true love/soulmate and have never been with anyone else (and both shows have light-heartedly mocked them as "freaks" about this). Shawn and Angela were in love in high school and college. They broke up and moved on to separate lives - and, no doubt, subsequent relationships - well over a decade ago. The idea that they've been pining for one another all this time or are "meant to be" is silly. But maybe that's not how it will play out. I hope not.

• Love 2
My problem with Angela is she was a downer, she seemed like she had no energy or was mature beyond her age on the show.

Well, the actress was about 10 years older than everyone else (she's 45 now; Rider Strong is 35). 

Shawn needed some one with more personality in my opinion.  He had a difficult life and essentially he needed a female Cory, not a female Shawn.

Yes, as I recall, didn't she have angst of her own? 

I love Angela and I am glad she is coming back. I always thought she fit in with the group just fine. So, I can't wait to see her on my screen.

Amen!!! I feel like she's a little piece of my childhood/adolescence. I really liked Angela and never had a problem with her within the group - she fit in wonderfully. Plus she brought some modicum of much-needed diversity to the show.

Heck I have to admit Shawn/Angela remain one of my all-time favorite TV couples to this day. One of my very first ships before I even knew what shipping really was. I adored those two together so I'm incredibly biased.

While Cory is undoubtedly the true love of Shawn's life, Angela was an integral part of his growth and development. It was a bit deeper than adolescent love.

With all that said, I sort of suspect she'll show up to provide some closure (I believe she's sporting a possible wedding ring in the reunion pic) and allow Shawn to completely move on ...and likely be paired with Katy. Blech and ugh ugh ugh. Not remotely thrilled with that cliched scenario (and bland pairing).

Clearly I'm an insane fangirl who would prefer a lovey-dovey reunion and happy ending...but I'll try to be objective and open-minded if the writing is good. I just want Shawn to be happy damnit.

Can't wait for more familiar faces to return!

Edited by CurbUrEnthusiasm
  • Love 4

Popping in from another board. :)

My only issue with how Angela is being handled is the revisionist history. Kinda seems like the writers are vilifying Angela to prop Katy. Since its a new generation and Maya is a main character, its clear they are moving forward with S&K which is fine but dont change cannon or have your character act ooc to prop another relationship.

• Love 3

I was struck by the comments about Angela in Maya birthday episode.  It seemed like Riley had no idea who Angela was which implies that Topanga has not stayed in touch much.  Or at least Angela has not meet the kids but maybe they are emailing though

Edited by Aliconehead

In Master Plan, it was made to appear that Angela went to Europe and never talked to anyone again. Like, she never even called to say "Hey, the plane didn't crash and I made it safely." The friendship with Topanga seemed like a dropped plot line as well...which is even more crazy because how does she know they all live in NY now?

@CurbUrEnthusiasm I love everything about your post.

I also agree with everyone who think Angela is being brought back just for closer which sucks. However, I hope we still get some awesome scenes between her and Topanga. I think just like Cory needed someone from his age to hang with (Shawn) so does Topanga(Angela). 

• Love 4

The problem is, as was said in Episode 1 rather awkwardly, that it's no longer "Corey's world", it's Riley's.

So the adults we see have to relate back to Riley (and to an extent Maya), and if Corey and Topanga get further plots and interactions out of it, it's just gravy.  But not essential.

• Love 1

Mr. Turner is alive! Maybe he can explain to Riley that you can be a father figure in a child's life without marrying their mother? Of course, Shawn would then have to become Maya's foster parent, so the analogy doesn't quite work. Regardless, Mr. Turner's fate has always been my biggest unanswered question with BMW.

http://tvline.com/2015/04/07/girl-meets-world-mr-turner-returns-season-2-spoilers/

Wahoo!!! *fangirls all over the thread* So happy! :D

It's kind of weird seeing him with short hair though XD.

• Love 1

Mr. Turner is alive! Maybe he can explain to Riley that you can be a father figure in a child's life without marrying their mother? Of course, Shawn would then have to become Maya's foster parent, so the analogy doesn't quite work. Regardless, Mr. Turner's fate has always been my biggest unanswered question with BMW.

Some folks think he died in the accident. However, in the graduation episode, Minkus said Mr. Turner was "over there" on the other side of the school. It was a brief mention - easily missed - but once Shawn was back with Chet and Virna, I didnt see where Turner fit in. He apparently ended up in NYC like Harley and Minkus... lol

Do not click unless you want to be spoiled.

Good in theory but Mr. Turner's appearance would happen after Hurricane, meaning Shawn and Katy would already be in a relationship and Shawn would already be acting as a father figure to Maya.

The spoilers are in my head.... I was at the taping in Feb. I can post more but folks don't seem too interested. *shrug*

I tagged them because they are true spoilers, the other stuff in this thread is news and speculation. :)

The spoilers are in my head.... I was at the taping in Feb. I can post more but folks don't seem too interested. *shrug*

I tagged them because they are true spoilers, the other stuff in this thread is news and speculation. :)

I'm interested, I love taping reports.

I started to write detailed spoilers but it turned into a SUPER long episode recap. And aint nobody got time for dat! I'll post a few below and if you have specific questions... quote me and I will answer.

Side note: Kyle Richards from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills was there with her daughters. She didn't sit in the audience - she and her family were on the floor watching the show.

After sitting, I immediately notice the attention is to the far left, not the main sets. I noticed Trina squeak past in a pink and black running suit. No one else in my area sees as the audience wranglers are still getting things situated... and I get excited thinking maybe Shawn will run into her while she is at the park running?! Fast forward, the EP comes out and gives a spiel about not every couple being Cory and Topanga. Welp. Ok. We watch Girl Meets Master Plan which is "part one" of the arc. We also find out that NONE of the main sets are going to be used tonight, only swing (temporary) sets. So much for the "good" seat smack dab in the middle. The swing sets are so far off to the side, we all had to watch the monitors above us to see anything. I think well, whatever, at least I get to see Trina and Blake. NOT. They tape 4 (3?) scenes. ALL of Blake and Trina's scenes were pre-taped! So... no main sets, no BMW guest stars, and we had to watch everything on monitors. What?! Basically, Trina was just wandering around with her daughter similar to the aforementioned Kyle Richards. Blake went missing after cast intros most likely because of his foot injury  Total letdown.

I'm going to continue to use tags for the plot spoilers! LOL

- Cloris Leachmann's bakery is now owned by Topanga and is named, Topanga's Bakery and is Katy's new place of employment

- Maya cries because Shawn makes a comment about the way she dresses and Maya feels loved as no one had care enough to express concern in the past. She parlays this into Shawn buying her new clothes

- The shopping  and subsequent scenes is important b/c Shawn hugs Katy a little too tight and he gets fatherly feelings for Maya after she tries on clothes for him

- Katy calls Shawn out on the hugging and possibly having feelings for her by reciprocating the tight hug, complete with sitting on his lap.

- Angela is literally in TWO scenes, one of which she does not even speak! She shows up at Topanga's bakery with NO exposition saying she needs to talk to Shawn. Riley, Cory, Katy, and Maya sit outside while this "hurricane" unfolds. PS. Its not clear if Angela even knows who Riley is as no acknowledgement of her at all.

- As the publicity still shows, Angela is married and wants to talk to Shawn about having kids. Shawn asks why she left and she replies she wasn't ready but used what they had to prepare her for her husband. She mentions her dad's death (the actor died IRL) and Shawn encourages her to have kids because she isn't her mom. Angela notices Maya & Katy's spying and encourages Shawn to be with Katy. She then leaves but not before showing Katy et al (non verbally) her approval and that she isn't going to be a threat to their relationship. [sorry but for ALL the hype, two scenes with no exposition of where she's been the last 15 yrs is lame]

- Chet shows up at Demolition (publicity still #2) in a vision to Shawn and furthers encourages Shawn to man up with Katy. Shawn accepts a date with Katy thus officially beginning their relationship, Maya freaks out in happiness and all is well until part 3 of the arc when Maya's dad comes back into the picture.

So that ended up being wayyyyy longer than I planned. But yeah, that's Girl Meets Hurricane in a nutshell. Excuse any typos!

Only the last part of the last point brings me any hope. otherwise, my worst fear has been realized and the Ship is inevitable. Ugh That very last bit, however, sounds promising. Sabrina can handle all that angst that's gonna come with that storyline.

• Love 1

Only the last part of the last point brings me any hope. otherwise, my worst fear has been realized and the Ship is inevitable. Ugh That very last bit, however, sounds promising. Sabrina can handle all that angst that's gonna come with that storyline.

That's how I feel as well.

There's a new episode with Debby Ryan airing this Friday that is already available on demand.   If that is what S2 is going to be like, I'm out.  I think they might have actually made Riley and Cory regress in S2.  It's a wonder that Riley can get herself dressed in the morning without assistance.

There's a new episode with Debby Ryan airing this Friday that is already available on demand.   If that is what S2 is going to be like, I'm out.  I think they might have actually made Riley and Cory regress in S2.  It's a wonder that Riley can get herself dressed in the morning without assistance.

It was a forced special/themed episode from Disney, I wouldn't think much of it.

What an unbelievable waste of Angela. She's being used to prop Shawn and Katy? WHAT THE HECK? Why does she need to tell Shawn she's thinking of having children with her husband? Her entire motivation for going to NYC is bizarre.

I think what makes me the most upset is how grossly overhyped this episode is. The writers are misleading the Boy Meets World audience cause they need them to tune in still for this show to stay afloat. I'm calling it now that once the show gains its legs the claim that Girl will maintain the integrity of the original show will be forgotten. Boy characters will be forgotten and Cory and Topanga will be as significant as Sabrina's aunts in the later seasons of Sabrina The Teenaged Witch.

• Love 5

What an unbelievable waste of Angela. She's being used to prop Shawn and Katy? WHAT THE HECK? Why does she need to tell Shawn she's thinking of having children with her husband? Her entire motivation for going to NYC is bizarre.

I think what makes me the most upset is how grossly overhyped this episode is. The writers are misleading the Boy Meets World audience cause they need them to tune in still for this show to stay afloat. I'm calling it now that once the show gains its legs the claim that Girl will maintain the integrity of the original show will be forgotten. Boy characters will be forgotten and Cory and Topanga will be as significant as Sabrina's aunts in the later seasons of Sabrina The Teenaged Witch.

Definitely. It doesn't make sense. It seems as if they're trying to shoehorn Shawn with that woman. 

I hope that it doesn't happen :(. That would be a shame.

• Love 2

The episode should be called "Girl Meets Mild Breeze" as there was no hurricane at all. I was highly annoyed as a BMW fan. I get that the show is supposed to revolve around Riley's world (although that initial idea is slowly fading away) and Maya by extension -meaning S&K would take preference over S&A because S&K relate back to Riley's world - but why do that at the expense of the BMW core characters? They could have broken S&A up during the 15 gap without vilifying Angela for 'leaving' Shawn for no reason. I'll wait to see how Eric is handled before putting the series on the back burner but part of me feels like GMW isn't cannon to BMW and shouldn't be considered part of the Meets World universe.

• Love 5

I mean, I really didn't see the point in even needing to do that- Shawn and Angela dated in high school and college. They're in their 30's now. Why does there even need to be a reason as to why they're not together?

• Love 2

Here's a thought I can't shake about Shawn and Katy. It's probably darker than Disney wants to go, but it does reconcile the "Shawn is never truly happy" thing and would let Maya's story continue to mirror Shawn's, and it would give some kind of meaning to this S&K rush-to-relationship, IMO. What if Shawn and Katy do become involved, maybe even getting married, and then Katy dies or is killed in an accident? If would give Maya a ton of story/angst to play out and it would give Shawn a reason to stay around.

• Love 1

Disney does have a history of killing moms. lol (I'm talking more the movies than Disney Channel, but it is a bit of a running joke).

I just really want Shawn to stay for Maya, so maybe, the girls push it soo hard that Shawn and Katy give it a try, it doesn't work out, Maya is freaked out, bit of a fall out between her and Riley who she blames for pushing it/getting her hopes up, only to find that Shawn isn't going anywhere. He gives a great speech about how he will always be there for her no matter what, and that what happened between him and her mom does not affect his feelings for Maya.

Since they are determined to give Shawn/Katy a try, this is how I would like to see it played. I just can't get past my feeling that hooking up Shawn with Maya's mom cheapens his relationship with Maya by making it about having a family rather than being there for Maya,

Maybe it can even give Shawn perspective on his definition of family. Family doesn't have to be mother, father, children. Family is the people who are there for you no matter what, like Corey is Shawn's family, so can Maya be.

I will twist myself like a pretzel trying to get out of the Shawn/Katy inevitable pairing. I'm pulling a Riley. If I don't believe it, it won't happen. lol

• Love 2

If they do this, I would absolutely love it if Katy decides that she's not into Shawn, and Maya realizes that all the Parent Trap-maneuvering isn't going to make her Mom marry Shawn.

I still really think it's pointless to have brought back Angela if it's only for her to give her blessing to Shawn. I'm sorry, but really- they stopped dating in their early 20's. They're in their mid-30's now. Why should Angela be needed to "give" permission to Shawn?

• Love 1
(edited)

In Master Plan, Shawn could have said he and Angela broke up some time after he moved to NYC and he hasn't been in love since. No need to have this convoluted story, sort of rewrite history by saying she left him (when the viewers know she went to Europe for year), have her come back to ask his advice on having kids with her husband and then give her blessing for him to date Katy. But I guess this adds a dramatic element?

I'm interested to see the reaction of BMW fans after it airs. I did feel that M. Jacobs over-hyped the whole thing and was pretty let down at the end of the taping.

Edited by pink317
(edited)

Pink, you said that they pre-shot all of Angela's scenes...is it possible you didn't get shown the entire episode? Did you see anything shot live?

This whole plot seems nonsensical. It's hard to believe Michael Jacobs would dissapoint Shawngela fans THIS much.

I would also enjoy the twist of Katy dying (it's a good story), but I don't think Disney would do that.

Edited by CanadianChick
  • Love 2

It looks like Matthew Lawrence is headed to the show as well! And based on the picture in the article, he'll be at some sort of school dance episode. Eric appears to be in the episode, too. I love that they're getting all the old gang to show up.

http://www.eonline.com/news/663461/boy-meets-world-s-matthew-lawrence-heading-to-girl-meets-world-eric-and-jack-s-bromance-is-still-alive

Oh heck yes! Can't wait to see Jack again :)!

• Love 1
(edited)

Pink, you said that they pre-shot all of Angela's scenes...is it possible you didn't get shown the entire episode? Did you see anything shot live?

I believe I saw the whole episode. Pre-taped scenes (including Chet and Angela's) were shown to us on the monitor in between what was being taped live. So, we watched the opening at (shot live), then the scene at demolition (pre-taped), we picked up after that (live), and so on until the end of the episode.

I think they shot 4 (give or take 1 or 2) scenes live. Most of the Topanga's bakery (exterior and interior - minus Angela's scenes) stuff was filmed live.

ETA: Michael Jacobs is already expecting a full scale backlash. See here: http://www.ibtimes.com/girl-meets-world-angela-shawn-episode-will-cause-full-scale-audience-rebellion-1954576

Edited by pink317
  • Love 1

We're going to find out who Farkle's mom is later this season and it's someone from BMW. 

“You have seen her a number of times [on BMW],” Jacobs told TVLine on Thursday at the ATX Television Festival. “She’s the last person you would believe is married to Minkus. She will be radically different and evolved, and I believe you will love the reappearance of this character.”

Later, he says that she did "a couple" of episodes of BMW. For me, all signs are pointing to Lauren as Farkle's mom.

http://tvline.com/2015/06/05/girl-meets-world-farkle-mom-minkus-wife-clues/