Type keyword(s) to search

Season 10 Spoilers, Speculation, and Stabs in the Dark!

• Start Topic

I don't see how this 'changes the direction of the show' as they tried to sell it. Good thing I didn't get all that worked up about it, or I'll be sorely disappointed!

Well, small thing, but they said it would "Change the face of the show." Which it definitely has. :)

• Love 1
(edited)

I have been watching cable shows like "The Bridge" and "Tyrant". The writing on these shows make CM seemed like amateurs.

They can be graphic but at least they have characters that are realistic. Tyrant has a gay character, the son. Even "Major Crimes" has a gay character.

Edited by IndependentMind

Well, that's the thing. We don't compare CM to cable shows like Sherlock or Breaking Bad or Orphan Black or even Dexter. Certainly not masterworks like Deadwood. Its got its own spot, doesn't it, in our hearts? It isn't Shakespeare, but it is what we love... for whatever reason. You might like the profiling, I might like the 'team as family' angle, someone may only want to hatewatch, and someone else may love it only for Shemar Moore. But there is something in that little CBS show that makes us all come back year after year and endlessly discuss it. 

I long ago stopped trying to figure out why I love it so. I just know I do.

I don't know how to feel about this. I have nothing against JLH as an actress as I have never really seen extensive works that she has done. But from the perspective of a Criminal Minds fan, I am not pleased.

I think Criminal Minds has its own battles to overcome first before we go throwing in yet, another character to the show. The writers and Erica had enough trouble last season with equal screen time by having WAY too much JJ and Morgan with a ide of "the others". They have  had trouble with this since around season 7, and I think they should try balancing out all the characters before they add anyone else. I am still on board with the idea of just having six team members and maybe the occasional guest star. No need to make up a whole other storyline for another character this late in a series, in my opinion.

Does anybody else not like when Criminal Minds has a more well known person on the show? Whether it be guest stars or regulars? I don't like it because then the episode becomes about them. When they have someone who is maybe starting out a career or maybe hasn't made their big break yet, it is better, for me anyway. Usually the quality of acting is better too. I also think that the entire cast and production crew of the show being on social media has lead to this too. They (mostly the writers) hype about the "famous guest star", etc. and it ends up being about them instead of anything that goes on in the show, and it basically just distracts people from some of the terrible stuff they might have written.

It is basically the same tactics that happen with the music industry today as well, but I digress. I guess I will just have to wait and see how this turns out. I don't want to judge this thing before it gets going, but it can be difficult to keep high hopes after some of the nonsense Erica and her minions have cranked out to us. Let's just hope it doesn't end up being a complete gong show.

• Love 3

Willowy - I am definitely checking out this time. I will check in when Paget comes to visit but its the last straw for me.

Maybe if they added someonw like Sarah Shahi or Amy Acker and have such interesting backstories I would stick around. But I am done with the show. Good luck to you guys and enjoy season 10.

And yes, after comparing these shows to CM it is why I have realized I am wasting an hour of my time every wednesday night.

At first, I thought the hiring of Jennifer Love Hewitt was a strange one. I love Hewitt as an actress but she's the last person that I'd think would fit in with CM. Then I thought about how wonderful an actress she is and realized her performance could be like Paget Brewster's, rising above shoddy writing to give her character depth. I also thought about how young she is (35) and realized this is a move to continue on with the show into S11 and S12 and beyond. Furthermore, Hewitt's quirky and adorable enough that she'd work wonderfully with Reid, meaning this could be a sign that our favourite encyclopedic Doctor will finally get his chance to shine. Not just that, but Hewitt's persona reminds me of Zoe Hawkes (Amy Davidson), killed too quickly and eagerly on the show, so the thought of being able to enjoy a character that I had missed excites me.

Personally, as long as the show doesn't try to make her an expert that “knows all the right moves” right away, isn't too over the top with her vulnerabilities and tries to “ship” her too early with Reid (i.e., let the working relationship evolve organically), then I'll have nothing but praise for Agent Kate Callahan.

• Love 3

Hi all, former TWOP-er, first time poster on this thread here. I came specifically to check if the JLH thing was true. gahhhh.

I don't hate JLH; but I don't think she's cut out for this show. At all. There's something about her perpetual elf-like looks and average acting that just doesn't give me much hope I'll appreciate her character here. I think the problem is, I don't find her a good enough actor to ever shake her "hey, the Party of Five chick who went on to see ghosts" image. Plus, she ruined her own damn show (GW) insisting her real life boyfriend take a central role. meh. 

If they insisted on having another female character I would prefer seeing a strong relatively unknown or as someone mentioned, Annie Parisse. 

We'll see.

• Love 2

Hey! Annie Parisse was born in Anchorage, my home town!

I'm sure she's a good actor, but I definitely didn't want to see anyone from another L&O, CSI, or anything of that nature coming over to our team. Some people wanted Eva LaRue - nope. Nor would have I wanted to see Kira, Marg, Melina, Gillian (okay Gillian would have been cool but she's on Hannibal now) or any of a dozen or so well-known procedural women. I thought for a while they might get Beth Riesgraf, and it would've been a bittersweet thing seeing Reid stare at her all the time thinking of Maeve, but I'm glad they didn't. Too distracting. 

As I've said, I think JLH was a good choice. I like the softness she embodies, though I do expect a certain toughness to be had if she's gonna keep up with our team. Maybe she'll give us some of the empathy we've missed since JJ filed off all her rounded edges and became all angles. I guess we'll soon see. Wheels UP! ;)

• Love 1

If the character were going to be a new media liaison, I'd have agreed she's a good choice, but I'm not convinced. Time will tell. I hate waiting until October for shows to start....when I was a kid I remember early-mid Sept as the new season kick offs. sigh! lol. 

I actually wish they didn't hire anyone and focused more on the actual cast/characters they have now. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know how to feel about this. I have nothing against JLH as an actress as I have never really seen extensive works that she has done. But from the perspective of a Criminal Minds fan, I am not pleased.

I think Criminal Minds has its own battles to overcome first before we go throwing in yet, another character to the show. The writers and Erica had enough trouble last season with equal screen time by having WAY too much JJ and Morgan with a ide of "the others". They have  had trouble with this since around season 7, and I think they should try balancing out all the characters before they add anyone else. I am still on board with the idea of just having six team members and maybe the occasional guest star. No need to make up a whole other storyline for another character this late in a series, in my opinion.

Does anybody else not like when Criminal Minds has a more well known person on the show? Whether it be guest stars or regulars? I don't like it because then the episode becomes about them. When they have someone who is maybe starting out a career or maybe hasn't made their big break yet, it is better, for me anyway. Usually the quality of acting is better too. I also think that the entire cast and production crew of the show being on social media has lead to this too. They (mostly the writers) hype about the "famous guest star", etc. and it ends up being about them instead of anything that goes on in the show, and it basically just distracts people from some of the terrible stuff they might have written.

It is basically the same tactics that happen with the music industry today as well, but I digress. I guess I will just have to wait and see how this turns out. I don't want to judge this thing before it gets going, but it can be difficult to keep high hopes after some of the nonsense Erica and her minions have cranked out to us. Let's just hope it doesn't end up being a complete gong show.

I can definitely agree with much of what you said.However adding a new character was something totally out of Erica's hands.It was a decision made by CBS. Now how Erica and these writers choose to develop her character is mostly on them.

Edited by missmycat

I think the problem is, I don't find her a good enough actor to ever shake her "hey, the Party of Five chick who went on to see ghosts" image. Plus, she ruined her own damn show (GW) insisting her real life boyfriend take a central role. meh.

JLH did the same thing on The Client List.  It was a nice little fluff show that I enjoyed, until her r/l boyfriend became front and center, and he really turned me off.

I hope she does well here though.

• Love 1

I didn't know that Erica ever said they wouldn't add a gay character because of problems. I vaguely recall one of the writers at a chat explaining why they would not take one of the existing characters and make them gay. I do think part of the problem is that these writers do NOT have the talent to be able to write for a character that happens to be gay. On another show with better writers, I think it could have been pulled off. But I am not a fan of adding a gay character just to have a gay character.

I've seen it go very badly. It was interesting the way they did it on NYPD Blue where they initially had Sipowitz as somewhat of a bigot, but he grew to appreciate and trust the token gay character. I actually liked how they developed that with the characters not being perfect and coming to learn and accept. Nowadays its not PC for protagonists to be biased so any character who doesn't immediately accept a gay character would be totally slammed. I think it would cause a rift in audiences somewhat.

When I first read the news about JLH, I was not happy. I was hoping it was a joke. Then I started to think about it. She's a good actress and I've seen her do a good job with drama. The actress herself is bubbly and very cute/sweet. She's quite emotional and appreciates her fans. The main problem now is how the writers will handle it. The fact that Erica did NOT want to add her does not bode well. Erica will seem to fight tooth and nail to get screentime for a character she likes (making arrangements to get Bellamy Young on, making an elaborate plot for Strauss) but will not put forth much effort at all when she's not really into it (as in not really trying to get Jane Lynch to guest star and not giving Reid jack shit to do). If Erica had been on board with the new character, I would think there is a chance. But knowing that she didn't want it means that the character is doomed.

• Love 2

I'm no fan of JLH, but I don't dislike her either. I wish CBS would put more money into hiring good writers, but I'm adopting a wait and see attitude on this development. However, because Erica is still in charge I am not optimistic. I'm just biding my time until we see what they do with this character.

AlecNewbary, I totally agree with what you said about CM and name actors. I prefer the unknown or lesser known actors. I don't want to watch CM and think about the previous roles the unsub has played, and it's kind of hard for me not to.

• Love 3

Right, as much as I love Scott Grimes, I kept calling him "Malarkey" all through Carbon Copy. Jim Beaver will always be Ellsworth to me, Bobby to Supernatural fans, and not that he's a HUGE name, but Jason Alexander will forever be George Costanza whether he likes it or not. 

Some stars can transcend that though, if they're good enough. I didn't, and still don't, see one bit of Sue Sylvester in Diana Reid. 

• Love 4

Right, as much as I love Scott Grimes, I kept calling him "Malarkey" all through Carbon Copy. Jim Beaver will always be Ellsworth to me, Bobby to Supernatural fans, and not that he's a HUGE name, but Jason Alexander will forever be George Costanza whether he likes it or not. 

Some stars can transcend that though, if they're good enough. I didn't, and still don't, see one bit of Sue Sylvester in Diana Reid. 

But, do you think it's possible that might be partly due to the fact that Jane Lynch was Diana Reid before she was Sue Sylvester.

• Love 1

That could have something to do with it, but she's been Sue a LOT longer and is way more "in your face". When I rewatch The Fisher Kings and The Instincts/Memoriam, to this day all I see is Diana. 

• Love 2

Yes, Jane Lynch is wonderful as Reid's mom. But you're right about Jason Alexander. He will never escape being George Costanza. And since that role ensured that he'd never have to work again, that's not such a bad thing. He was awful as Professor Rothschild, but I still loved Masterpiece.

• Love 2

Yes, Jane Lynch is wonderful as Reid's mom. But you're right about Jason Alexander. He will never escape being George Costanza. And since that role ensured that he'd never have to work again, that's not such a bad thing. He was awful as Professor Rothschild, but I still loved Masterpiece.

To be fair that role came across, due to hair and makeup, as George Constanza plays and aged Fabio playing a serial killer.  Jason Alexander wasn't the only one with a hand in that mess.

• Love 2

Bringing it back around to season 10, there's stuff starting to dribble in about the premiere. Looks like a name change to the Roman Numeral ten. Makes sense.

ryBnlKg.jpg

• Love 1

Here's a Spanish language interview with Matthew about the season and JLH: http://entretenimiento.terra.com.mx/television/gray-gubler-celebra-que-love-hewitt-se-una-a-criminal-minds,f966a5beefcf6410VgnVCM3000009af154d0RCRD.html

And the google translation:

Welcomes Gray Gubler Love Hewitt joins Criminal Minds

The actor anticipates some of what is coming in the new season of the television series
Mario Cabrera
Mexico City, Mexico

Matthew Gray Gubler anticipated that will direct two episodes of the series, as it has done in other seasons.
Photo: Reform
For Matthew Gray Gubler, including Jennifer Love Hewitt on the new season of 'Criminal Minds' will satisfy fans of the series.

"We really are very good and one of them is Jennifer. Admittedly have left some characters, but she comes to the series, no doubt, will attract the eyes of the people," he said in an interview the actor, who plays Dr. Spencer Reid in the issue.

Love Hewitt (star of 'Ghost Whisperer') will play Kate Callahan, a secret agent, for his great performance in the FBI, is assigned to the Behavioral Analysis Unit.

"We do not know what kind of interaction we will have, but a lot of calisthenics glimpse (muscular exercise) in our interests together," he joked.

MORE
  Photo: Getty Images
Jennifer Love Hewitt joins the cast of 'Criminal Minds'
Over the course will take the series, Gray Gubler anticipated that the criminological profile will remain, but this time the suspense is latent in every moment. The 10th season of Criminal Minds will premiere on October 1 in the U.S. on CBS.

• Love 2
(edited)

I know! Maybe he just meant that he spied some sit ups in their future. Or push ups, maybe? Jumping jacks? But I seriously doubt it. Bad boy.

YES to going to London (from the comments on your list). It would be a great excuse to bring back Emily. As long as they didn't hit too many UK clichés, that could be so much fun.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 3

I'd love it if about halfway through the season, we see Kate on a BAU phone call in her house, then just as she hangs up, Spencer walks out of her bathroom in a towel, obviously freshly showered and still a little damp. 

"Was that Hotch?"

She stands up and puts her arms around him. 

"Yep. We gotta go."

Record scratch and hard cut to a music store where the UnSub works. 

HAHA!!! Just kidding!

• Love 1
(edited)

Here's a Spanish language interview with Matthew about the season and JLH: http://entretenimiento.terra.com.mx/television/gray-gubler-celebra-que-love-hewitt-se-una-a-criminal-minds,f966a5beefcf6410VgnVCM3000009af154d0RCRD.html

And the google translation:

Welcomes Gray Gubler Love Hewitt joins Criminal Minds

The actor anticipates some of what is coming in the new season of the television series

Mario Cabrera

Mexico City, Mexico

Matthew Gray Gubler anticipated that will direct two episodes of the series, as it has done in other seasons.

Photo: Reform

For Matthew Gray Gubler, including Jennifer Love Hewitt on the new season of 'Criminal Minds' will satisfy fans of the series.

"We really are very good and one of them is Jennifer. Admittedly have left some characters, but she comes to the series, no doubt, will attract the eyes of the people," he said in an interview the actor, who plays Dr. Spencer Reid in the issue.

Love Hewitt (star of 'Ghost Whisperer') will play Kate Callahan, a secret agent, for his great performance in the FBI, is assigned to the Behavioral Analysis Unit.

"We do not know what kind of interaction we will have, but a lot of calisthenics glimpse (muscular exercise) in our interests together," he joked.

MORE

Photo: Getty Images

Jennifer Love Hewitt joins the cast of 'Criminal Minds'

Over the course will take the series, Gray Gubler anticipated that the criminological profile will remain, but this time the suspense is latent in every moment. The 10th season of Criminal Minds will premiere on October 1 in the U.S. on CBS.

I am having a bit of trouble with this translation. it seems somewhat choppy to me. however I do understand the jest of it at least somewhat.

It sounds like Matthew is saying the show is going to be even more suspenseful than it was last season. that would be fantastic.However I am going to take a wait in see attitude before getting too excited, not because I don't trust MGG, but we've been told things before by a cast member that didn't come to pass.

KV told us shortly before season 9 started that all the characters would get some sort of story of origin.And we know that certainly didn't come to pass.So what happen? Did KV just assume that the other cast members were getting such an episode just because her and AJ were slated to get one. Or was the actress merely spouting talking points that had been given to her.  

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 1

Yeah, google translate can really make things confusing.

Thanks for the info on the director, writer, and title of the premiere.

MMC, where did you read that Janine wrote the premiere? (not doubting you, just need to show it as reference for "proof" when I edit the wiki on it).

All of the cast and the writers have said stuff about what they expected to see in a season and a lot of the stuff never came to pass. Now, I don't think there was any dishonesty on the part of the cast. Maybe the writers had intended to do stuff and it didn't work out, but I do suspect that sometimes there was a bit of BSing from some of them in order to appease fans. When the cast says stuff, I think its because the writers pitched the season a certain way and they are repeating what they heard.

• Love 1

MMC, where did you read that Janine wrote the premiere? (not doubting you, just need to show it as reference for "proof" when I edit the wiki on it).

Su, I'm sorry I don't remember where I read it and I haven't  been able to find it again,but I know for a fact that I did see where she had written it.

• Love 1

WG7WOZ4.jpg

Also Glenn is now directing.

So I wonder if this means we will get another Lily Kershaw song.And while I don't particularly have a problem with her singing, I do have a huge problem with this blatant nepotism.

• Love 3

Aww, I don't have a problem with it. Seriously if you were in a position to help your daughter, wouldn't you? That's how it works, right? I mean, she is talented, she's obviously wanting to make a go of it, and her dad's a triple-threat on a hit show. I think that she'd be dumb not to take advantage of that. 

It would be something else all together if she was a dud and he was still pushing her, but the girl's got pipes, and can obviously write too, so it isn't like she's a no-talent hack stealing a break from someone more deserving. 

• Love 1

A friend of mine who is still a CM fanatic said to me "CM used to have great songs but now, not anymore." When I mentioned about Lily Kershaw songs being played during those big episodes, and that she is Glenn Kershaws daughter, she said "Oh, no wonder."

She is an alright singer. She is not that good. Her voice is very common as well as her songs. She isn't someone that grabs your attenrion, only when her songs are played on CM. I don't think I have heard her songs played anywhere else but on Criminal Minds.

• Love 1

Aww, I don't have a problem with it. Seriously if you were in a position to help your daughter, wouldn't you? That's how it works, right? I mean, she is talented, she's obviously wanting to make a go of it, and her dad's a triple-threat on a hit show. I think that she'd be dumb not to take advantage of that. 

It would be something else all together if she was a dud and he was still pushing her, but the girl's got pipes, and can obviously write too, so it isn't like she's a no-talent hack stealing a break from someone more deserving.

She can act too- Lily was one of my favourite victims in the series, Kelly Shane. I'd love to see her again.

Don't get my hopes up! ;)Here's the Season Ten Wish List that some of you contributed to:

http://criminalmindsfans.com/criminal-minds-fans-season-10-list/

I like the list, but I must ask- why didn't I make the list? I'm positive I must have contributed to it, unless I'm thinking of a different one.

Whoops, nothing personal @Danielg342, I think I bled yours and @zannej's responses together as I was going through them all. Next time I ask for contributions I'll be sure to include yours! :)

Also feel free to add yours in the comments! Several others have, already. 

How things change...

KF9ycSA.jpg

So I wonder what in the world is going on.Janine had tweeted a copy of the script that had her listed as the writer. But now this has Erica listed as the writer.

Ok, if you look at Janine's script you can see "viola" for the director. The director is Karen Gaviola (according to the casting call). So, Janine appears to be doing the second episode while Erica is doing the first.

And look: 

BsOURkvCEAEcVsD.jpg

On the little screen, Hotch is talking to JLH's character. At least I think... That was from criminalmindsfeed.tumblr.

Wow. That picture of Kerr Smith looks odd to me. I wonder if that was his natural hair or if he frosted it for a role. I know he's older than he looks (he's in his 40s) but he's always played younger characters. I remember him as an FBI agent from Charmed.

(edited)

Nice, thanks for sharing that! Here's some spoilery news from the premiere:

Seems like we're continuing the trend of "show the UnSub early"...so much for mystery, I guess.

Also, while I think the concept isn't a bad idea, I feel like this is a bit of retread...I mean, John Nelson from "God Complex" was very, very similar.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 2

Daniel, Don't forget we also had a similar thing in the ridiculous episode with tornadoes.. What was that one called? There's No Place Like Home? I don't really remember. I just remember some dude walking in to a tornado. Probably the 2nd or 3rd most cheesy moment on the show EVER. The writer obviously never experienced anything close to tornado or hurricane weather.

• Love 2