Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: Making Woo-Hoo-Py!

• Start Topic

They had their own bathroom attached to the "tiny" room - they didn't have to share. They were rude. Accept what is given graciously and shut up. And if you know you have high end tastes then don't accept the offer in the first place. But to show up, see the room and try to leave is the height of tacky. 

• Love 5

It is really easy for Shannon to say in her blog that the room deal had to do with the noise vs. the size.  What else is she going to say? She had to know when she saw that scene that she would get hammered for her behavior. She has no doubt read the blogs this season (before Bravo disabled the comments) and she knew that folks where hammering away at Heather all season long for being pretentious.  She surely knew that a lot of people who might have been on the fence about her would take another look after seeing what an entitled bitch she is, and say "no thanks" to her in general.  Aviva on NY couldn't say she didn't want to go to Montana because it sounded boring, so she said she had Asthma.  Shannon couldn't very well own the fact that she found her free, clean bedroom in Mexico to be too small, so she said the noise would keep her from resting.  Whatever. 

In Vicki's blog she actually does a nice job of explaining it without making Shannon look bad.  She said she was there first (she was going to be there for a couple of weeks) and so of course she took the master bedroom. Her brother Billy arrived next so he took the next bedroom. That left the smaller one for the guests who would be arriving last and staying the least amount of time. This makes perfect sense to me and is exactly the way I would have arranged things.  She said that she is the one who went to Billy and told him that Shannon and David were unhappy with their room and he offered to exchange rooms with them. Everyone  handles thing differently, but in no way would I make the brother of my hostess change rooms after he had already unpacked and moved into a bedroom, just so that I would be more comfortable. If I don't like the room, or it is unacceptable to me in some manner, what would make me think that anyone else would like it any better? Why do I deserve better than someone else? It is just beyond rude to me.

I like one of the things that Carole from the NY show said in her blog. Similar bad manners were shown by the most horrendous guest of all time, Ramona, on their recent trip to Montana.  Carole said that she had been accused of being a bad hostess before and it might be true, but that she had always been called a wonderful guest. She said "I would rather be a shitty host than a shitty guest".  Amen to that. 

• Love 1

I thought their reaction to the room was funny. Of course when Vicki is showing it to them, they ohh and ahh. Then once she leaves the reality sets in. Hahaha. I love how David came up with the plan to move because they were concerned about poor Michael. When David and Shannon laughed after Vicki refused to let them leave, it was a genuine moment between them.

Maybe I've been jaded by Ramona on NY but I didn't think they were rude to Vicki.

• Love 1

So agree with this, I think what bothers me the most about shows like this is having the kids filmed....whatever the adults want to share because they are being filmed, fine, you are an 'adult' (in age at least!)...but can kids really understand the difference between this 'reality' and their real life without cameras?? I think not...and Lizzie (who I am now hating with a passion) said a couple episodes back that everyone in her family had 3 kids, so of course, in her pageant mind, that is a perfectly good reason to have a third kid, when the 2 she has don't seem to be thriving emotionally, good job, Lizzie! And she seems to want a girl, again, in her pageant mind, that will make all the difference....

Lizzie, so ready to get comfortably miserable, little sheepling, go ahead and slap on that lipstick and those Stepford heels and knock yourself out, up, watch the world pass by without noticing you at all. Her kids aren't thriving, her choice to consider a third some weird unhealthy magical thinking that is unrealistic at best, sounding like she thinks it'll just work without work, pfft. What has she to teach them to boost their confidence- Intellectual curiosity? Self empowerment through hobbies and passions? Nope. Not that I've seen. She will teach them her skewed world perception. How to wave at the judges on stage? How-to basics on kowtowing in fear to the judgements of authorities? How to mold yourself to another bogus societal standard or tradition? Conformity? Sure.

If she gets a girl, I hope that little gem wakes her up. I hope she's a wild tomboy, or takes dips in the lady pond, I hope she's creative and a spitfire rebel. I hope she mocks pageants and wants to take karate and swim. I hope she makes her dum-dum mother's head spin right off it's upcoming neck-lift.

Hmm, don't care much for her either I guess.

• Love 1

I was a raging tomboy that had a little princess. From the earliest moments she wanted to be a girly girl. She loved dresses and makeup as I was trying to get her to love softball and basketball, all she wanted to do is play dress up play with makeup. She is now 17 and regrets that we refused to allow her to do pageants. It's very possible that Lizzie would end up with a girl who wants no part of that life but, there is nothing wrong with girls and women who enjoy feminine beauty and pretty things. We are all different.

• Love 5
What has she to teach them to boost their confidence- Intellectual curiosity? Self empowerment through hobbies and passions? Nope. Not that I've seen. She will teach them her skewed world perception. How to wave at the judges on stage? How-to basics on kowtowing in fear to the judgements of authorities? How to mold yourself to another bogus societal standard or tradition? Conformity? Sure

The two thing Lizzie bragged about to prove her intellectual prowess was that she was the valedictorian of her high school class and that her father went to an ivy league school.  I understand the first, as being valedictorian is a high honor, but do not understand the latter.

My father went to an ivy league school... eventually got a masters in engineering and has had an amazing career, but I am a total dumb ass in comparison.   I would never use my father's achievements to prove that somehow I am gifted or special.  So far she has not shown the intellectual side of herself (though it could be the editing), which is a shame.

I also do not get the logic of having a third child becaue everybody in her family has three children.  My mother lives 600 miles away and I would never burden her with child care.  I understood when I had children that I would have to figure something out, as I had no family  nearby.  Many people struggle with this daily and they do not have Lizzie's comparitive finacial freedom.

I was very impressed with the way Shannon treated people (with the exception of her husband).  I liked the way she welcomed everyone into her home and did not seem very judgemental that most of the ladies did not have her type of money (except for Heather).  However, this episode hammered home that Vicki's financials are upper middle class at best (nothing wrong with that) and her vacation style is 1988 spring break.  Shannon totally seemed disgusted with her and Brooks and it was obvious the seedy time share really was not up to snuff, compared to the luxury she is accustomed to. I have to say that I thought Vicki handled it graciously and it was nice of the brother to switch rooms with her.

• Love 3
I love how David came up with the plan to move because they were concerned about poor Michael.

While I'm fairly low maintenance and would have been okay with the room, I thought that was a polite way of trying to get out of it. If Vicky was astute enough to pick up what David was laying down, she should have let them take that out. 

• Love 3

I thought their reaction to the room was funny. Of course when Vicki is showing it to them, they ohh and ahh. Then once she leaves the reality sets in. Hahaha. I love how David came up with the plan to move because they were concerned about poor Michael. When David and Shannon laughed after Vicki refused to let them leave, it was a genuine moment between them.

Maybe I've been jaded by Ramona on NY but I didn't think they were rude to Vicki.

I didn't think they were rude to Vicki either.....If it had been I who was hosting this trip, I would have definitely given the guests my room.  Bottom line in my world....the guests get the most desirable of accommodations.  IMO, Vicki just doesn't know any better.

• Love 1

Vicki is stupid. If you put your guests in the guest room and they start making noises about getting a hotel room, you politely say please stay, but you also let them know that it's ok to go. Vicki was having none of it. She wanted David and Shannon in her condo doing the deed right next door. Not only would have been freaked to Vicki and Brooks on the other side of the wall, that bed looked really small. As someone who sleeps in a king bed, everyone knows that once you sleep in a king, you can't go to something smaller and be comfortable. My assumption is that their bed at home is a king. I can totally see how the prospect of sleeping in a full or queen would cause Shannon stress. 

• Love 1

The only reason I would give up my master bedroom would be because someone needed it more than me for physical reasons. Like the elderly or disabled.

Shannon acted exactly the way the producers predicted.......like the princess and the pea. When she was bitching about the room, the noise factor didn't come up. I get the impression she made that aspect well known over breakfast the next morning. As I posted before, Shannon just couldn't deal with slumming it, even for a few days.

• Love 3

What has she to teach them to boost their confidence- Intellectual curiosity? Self empowerment through hobbies and passions? Nope. Not that I've seen. She will teach them her skewed world perception. How to wave at the judges on stage? How-to basics on kowtowing in fear to the judgements of authorities? How to mold yourself to another bogus societal standard or tradition? Conformity? Sure.

Preach. I had hoped that the addition of an educated woman would further amplify the meaninglessness of these silly, vapid caricatures that I foolishly watch each week; on the contrary, Lizzie is the poster child for these morons.

• Love 1

Lizzie is no more educated than Gretchen, Lauri, and Alexis.   All three have degrees, and Lauri aside,  they are dumbasses.  

I predict Shannon and Vicki will fall out.   It's well known that Vicki stays in downscale West Palm instead of Palm Beach,  and goes on Billie Swamp Safari excursions.   She has a cozy timeshare condo  in Mexico instead of some 5 star luxury suite on standby, and parties at Andale's, which is sort of a dump.   The Havasu place was a barebones pre fab.    That's how Vicki rolls.  Shannon appears to be inflexible and impossible to please.    Anyway,  I noticed that Vicki and David have chemistry.   If Shannon has any brains, she'll figure it out, too.    These two will cross swords eventually.

Shannon's life is one big vacation.  Surely she could have sucked it up for 3 days.   How I wished she had gotten hit in the head with a football on the beach. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I was a raging tomboy that had a little princess. From the earliest moments she wanted to be a girly girl. She loved dresses and makeup as I was trying to get her to love softball and basketball, all she wanted to do is play dress up play with makeup. She is now 17 and regrets that we refused to allow her to do pageants. It's very possible that Lizzie would end up with a girl who wants no part of that life but, there is nothing wrong with girls and women who enjoy feminine beauty and pretty things. We are all different.

I so agree, and I also consider myself quite girlish. My point I think (which I think I misrepresented and didn't clarify enough)was the same or similar to yours, that in regards to Lizzie, perhaps she may want or even expect a princess daughter to mold (and I believe she does) and instead could end up with surprises and life lessons. The statements weren't meant to be mutually inclusive to pageants other than the shade about waving. I'm not going to pretend I think highly of beauty pageants, but if my little girl had fun doing dress up and playing on stage, I'd support her growing independence. Of course, I didn't put it so neat and nicely, but it was to Lizzie, who I don't much care for and I'm a grump today.

Edited by Souvlaki
Vicki is the honorary Mayor of PV because she is somehow different from the thousands of other Americans with timeshares who vacation there every year?

For all Vicki's talk about how much time she spends vacationing in Mexico, I expected that she would know some basic Spanish by now. It's not hard. My husband didn't know any before traveling to Latin America for work, and he picked up enough to make himself understood to cab drivers, waiters, etc. He was able to do this in his 40s, so I don't buy the "if you didn't learn it as a child you'll never get the hang of it" stuff. Watching her trying to talk to the cook/chef before realizing he didn't speak any English was painful. I know these places are overrun with American tourists, but why would you ever go to a foreign country and expect that the people who live there are all fluent in English? 

But I agree with other posters that I'm liking Vicki this season. I know things have pretty much hit rock bottom when Vicki Gunvalson is the voice of reason, though.