Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Disaster

Trini
  • Start Topic

Following what he believes was a disastrous first date with Carly, Dr. Shaun Murphy proposes a radical surgery to save a newlywed woman's life. Meanwhile, after the new chief of surgery, Dr. Audrey Lim, announces that the residents can lead surgeries, Dr. Morgan Reznick and Dr. Alex Park compete for the chance to operate on an elderly patient who has been diagnosed with cancer on the season premiere of "The Good Doctor".

"Disaster" was written by David Shore and directed by Mike Listo.

152615_0359-900x0_595.jpg

And we're back! And with some really sad, tough cases to boot! That elderly couple was heartbreaking :(. And the poor newlyweds as well-talk about your difficult decisions. I like how they handled it all, though. 

(Also, is it just me or did the groom look kinda like he could be related to Matt Smith?)

As for Shaun, aw, poor guy. I get where he's coming from, though-he may have handled all the stuff that happened well enough, but yeah, it would've been nice to just focus on having a good time and not have to deal with all those issues and awkwardness. Carly seemed pretty understanding about it all, though, so hopefully she and Shaun can talk about it at some point, and perhaps try again :). 

I did like seeing Shaun open up to his coworkers about the date. I'm glad he feels comfortable enough around them now to where he can discuss this stuff with them, Claire especially. They had some really lovely scenes together this episode (Claire acknowledging he's a role model for her was very sweet 🙂), and I liked seeing them work together, too. They're such good sounding boards for each other. 

Really interested to see how Lim handles her new job. I like her take charge attitude, and I think this job will fit her nicely as she continues to settle into it and all that good stuff. 

Nice start. So good to have this show back. Setting up some good things for these people this season, I think. both personally and professionally. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Sarah Heart said:

Freddie Highmore is really wonderful as Shaun. His describing his date, was hilarious, 

I also loved the bit where Lea was telling him to wear different pants for his date and he started trying to change out of them right there :p. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

The thing is, if he didn't think of it as a date, he does enjoy hanging out with people he likes. We've seen him have fun before.

Maybe he could think about what he would enjoy, and propose that instead of trying to conform to some external norm for how a date is supposed to be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

The Good Doctor is back!  And, of course, they kick things off with two cases that have both patients having cancer.  And one of them even also has dementia to boot.  David Shore really like to just go straight at the heartstrings, huh?

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that Shaun's foray into the dating world ends up being a bumpy one.  Of course, it ends up not being anywhere close to the disaster he was claiming, but I can see why all of the awkwardness and unpredictability would be too much for him and he'd think it was, even though it seemed like Carly actually had a pleasant enough time and enjoyed his company.  Now, granted, it is certainly a possibility that Carly will still not end up being the one for him (I still suspect that they're going to try something with him and Claire), but I do hope they have another go at it, once Shaun reassess everything.  Glad Jasika Nicole is a regular now and I hope we more of the forensic aspects of everything, and see Carly interact with the rest of the cast as well.

Shaun/Claire being paired off again is always great, and I continue to enjoy how Park/Reznick play off one another: especially the almost sibling-like rivalry that brings in some solid laughs.  And, of course, I loved that everyone (even Melendez!) wanted to hear about Shaun's date!

Looks like some pieces are moving around concerning the business side of things.  Lim is still the Chief of Surgery, but she's now convinced Andrews to take her old job, in order to save face for any future job offers.  Meanwhile, it looks like Allegra has convinced Glassman to come back as the president, but it sounds like he's going to be mainly focused on re-opening the clinic at the hospital?

The third-year residents being allowed to perform surgery on "simple" procedures is so going to play a big part in this season.  And you just know that one of them is going to end horribly for at least one of the gang.

Glad that the show is back and I can't wait to see how this season plays out!

• Love 12

I am glad that we will see more Astro this season, and her date with Shaun was enjoyable.

I wonder why they didn't tell the newlywed with the cancer "hey even after the surgery you're gonna need chemo" - since, uh, it spread (at least regionally, they didn't do any scans on her, so no idea if it spread through the whole body). They didn't even bring in an oncologist or an oncological surgeon.

• Love 10

I am somewhat glad to see the outcome of Shaun/Carly's date and how Shaun felt. Of course, we also need to know how Carly herself felt because her opinion is just as important. But with Shaun, it makes sense as to why he felt like the date was a disaster. I mean, one of the many things Shaun does need to learn is how to let go of some of that control as well as also learn how to communicate effectively. But, even as we saw with his patient this week, he has come quite far in his progress. He's learned empathy! The way he talked to the newlyweds showed how much he's grown as a doctor.

Even last season Shaun wouldn't have been able to carry as much empathy when explaining the dangers. So we know that Shaun is quite capable of learning and growing as a person, and I suspect we'll also be seeing Carly's perspective and maybe also adjusting HER expectations to meet Shaun's. Either way, super excited to see where Shaun and Carly go, and I'd love to see Carly interacting with the rest of the main cast more.

Also, the use of Lea this episode was just about perfect. As long as they keep Lea and Shaun as friends and roommates, I might be able to tolerate her. But since Lea is also not part of the hospital scenes, that does limit her screen time (unless they do what they did last season and force characters to have a lot of time outside of the hospital; that's the one thing they really ruined with Shaun and Glassman for much of last season).

Park and Morgan's rivalry always works well with me. I really like their dynamic, especially seeing them learn from each other. Morgan has certainly grown from the extremely selfish and ruthless doctor she was back in the first season. 

Not enough Melendez. That's all. I did love that he was super interested in hearing about Shaun's date, much like everyone else.

So, Lim and Andrews help each other out. I mean, I shouldn't be surprised about this outcome, since they needed to keep Andrews around somehow. And now Allegra has rehired Glassman, so he's back in the hospital! Finally, we're getting back to the show's roots.

• Love 9

The ability to get Andrews and Dr. Toby back was tied up a little too easily and a little too neatly. That should have taken a little more struggle, especially since, after seeing Andrews' house, you knew he needed to get back to making some money!

Is Melendez supposed to be that unemotional or is that just all the actor could do with him. He had an absolute deadpan look on his face listening to the disaster date story line, whereas each of the other characters should something on their faces. It didn't seem like he could work up any real anger when he was pissed at Shaun

Carly came off as almost too good to be true, but she must of prepared herself for how uncomfortable Sean would be and the overall awkwardness, altho she could not have anticipated the flying wine bottle and  knocking the poor lady down.

Thirty seconds of Lea....just about right.

• Love 5

Glad to be back! Its always great to see this show back, and that we got to see Shaun's date, even if he didnt think it went well. Poor Shaun, it seems like it actually was a nice date (that bottle catch was smooth as butter) but I can get why he was not having fun. I hope that maybe he can learn to think of his time with Carly as just time spent with a person he likes a lot, it seems like its the whole big deal surrounding a DATE thats shaking him up,  he can hang out and be social with his friends pretty easily. 

Love that everyone was just sitting around listening to how Shaun's date went. Even if Reznick was just really excited about a possible disaster! Carly is really sweet, I hope that she and Shaun can talk and be honest and they can have a second date, maybe with less distractions.

I always enjoy Park and Reznicks competitive rivalry, even though their story with the couple was quite sad. I figured that Reznick would have some personal connection to someone with dementia, the poor husband and wife. 

It was an interesting story to tell alongside the newlyweds where the bride almost died, and will now need help with basic bodily functions for the rest of her life, and her husband wants to help her along the way. So we get a couple just starting their life together, and an older couple who have been together for years, both dealing with medical problems. 

I always love when Shaun and Claire get plots together, they play off of each other so well. It was so sweet when Claire said Shaun was her role model in some ways, and you could tell that she really meant it and wasnt just trying to be nice. 

Lim as the chief and Andrews as a surgeon should be an interesting change in the shows dynamic. 

• Love 9

This episode was blessedly light on both Lea and Dr. Eeyore. A rare treat!

Kind of a cop out Shaun got out of his first death notification with as ridiculous a Hail Mary as "what if we just put all your organs on a table and vacuum the cancer out of you???" and it worked!!

The elderly couple was heartbreaking, but I already don't care about Reznick's grandpa, sorry. Stop trying to make her sympathetic with these sob stories and just write her as a nicer person! Are Reznick and Park going to hook up? They seem to have taken the "coworkers with sexual tension" baton from Claire and Melendez, who the writers seem to have all but forgotten about lately. Fine by me - imo they have better respective chemistry with Shaun and Lim.

Maybe it's because I missed most of the back half of last season due to travel, but I can't get invested in Shaun/Emily's relationship because I know nothing about Emily. She just feels like a placeholder girlfriend to prime him for more serious romance down the line.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Kind of a cop out Shaun got out of his first death notification with as ridiculous a Hail Mary as "what if we just put all your organs on a table and vacuum the cancer out of you???" and it worked!!

My mom got a real kick out of how Shaun was like, "We'll have to take out your organs, but we can put them all back!" :D. Just something about how unfazed he seemed by the idea :p. 

Are Reznick and Park going to hook up? They seem to have taken the "coworkers with sexual tension" baton from Claire and Melendez, who the writers seem to have all but forgotten about lately. Fine by me - imo they have better respective chemistry with Shaun and Lim.

I actually briefly wondered about that, too.  I agree with everyone about their interactions this episode-they have seemed to hit it off really well with each other. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, bros402 said:

I wonder why they didn't tell the newlywed with the cancer "hey even after the surgery you're gonna need chemo" - since, uh, it spread (at least regionally, they didn't do any scans on her, so no idea if it spread through the whole body). They didn't even bring in an oncologist or an oncological surgeon.

Yeah, as soon as they came up with the diagnosis I was saying, Oh, she needs HIPEC!  

Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, aka "hot chemo bath."  Heated chemo drug directly into the abdominal cavity, and they "swish it around" the organs for about an hour and a half to 2 hours to kill any remaining cancer cells.  

And yeah, it would probably be done by an oncological surgeon, NOT Shaun, et al.

• Useful 8
  • Love 1

Happy to see this show back. It was hard to see Shaun so upset during his date. I wish the show would make him a little more socially aware sometimes. I know his autism is the main part of the story but he could still be autistic and not be quite so socially awkward. As it is, I can't really imagine him having a regular romantic relationship because it would be too hard on him. I know he has had fun on a few occasions but it always occurred as sort of an anomaly and not something he can really seek out.

I never like medical shows where doctors are gleeful someone has cancer so they can do a procedure or operation. I know all about gallows humor but it is still wrong and I still don't like Reznick. Good episode overall. 

• Love 4

I was a little annoyed that everybody had so much free time to waste, Park and Reznick looking at security footage and everybody spending hours listening to Shaun recount his date. But that is what happens on TV vs reality. Shaun just do something a little more intimate and personal, nobody is comfortable on a date in a fancy restaurant. I am surprised none of his friends mentioned that. Really, a foot filled with maggots, how neglectful would you have to be?

• Love 2

Why was that patient trying to hide the maggoty foot from the doctors? Why was he there, if not to get treated?

Also: if they can't afford to hire enough nurses, and they had to close the clinic before because it was losing money, where are they getting the money to re-open the clinic?

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 6

Welcome back show! 

I cracked up at the scene with Shaun and Dr. Glassman in the clinic.  Glassman always acts so exasperated with Shaun (and probably often is), but you know he really cares about him.  I had to laugh at Shaun talking about Glassman’s boring patient with boring symptoms right in front of the patient.  Oh Shaun, never change.  I could have done without the maggots though!!

• Love 7
1 minute ago, TimetoShine said:

I think you'll all know to what I'm referring when I say I want to throw my entire stomache up.

Good episode except 🤢

LOL, yeah, when that came up I was like, "Well, that was unnecessary...". 

• LOL 1
23 hours ago, possibilities said:

The thing is, if he didn't think of it as a date, he does enjoy hanging out with people he likes. We've seen him have fun before.

Maybe he could think about what he would enjoy, and propose that instead of trying to conform to some external norm for how a date is supposed to be.

Hate to blame Lea, but I think she put too much in his head and too much pressure with her list of topics and critiquing his clothes.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, JenMcSnark said:

Hate to blame Lea, but I think she put too much in his head and too much pressure with her list of topics and critiquing his clothes.  

This! I couldn't put words to what bothered me but that's it. I know that Shaun asked for advice and is eager to "fit in" but obviously that's way to much pressure and denying of who he is, so he shouldn't have to put himself through this. Carly seems like a nice and understanding person and I'm sure that they could come up with their own dating routine instead of trying to fit to that very socially-coded procedure, which Shaun cannot handle (or at least cannot handle all at once).

Also, Carly got to know first the real Shaun, the intelligent but socially awkward doctor Shaun and I'm sure she would not expect him to be somebody else than who he is.

• Love 11
17 hours ago, AriAu said:

The ability to get Andrews and Dr. Toby back was tied up a little too easily and a little too neatly. That should have taken a little more struggle, especially since, after seeing Andrews' house, you knew he needed to get back to making some money!

Is Melendez supposed to be that unemotional or is that just all the actor could do with him. He had an absolute deadpan look on his face listening to the disaster date story line, whereas each of the other characters should something on their faces. It didn't seem like he could work up any real anger when he was pissed at Shaun

Carly came off as almost too good to be true, but she must of prepared herself for how uncomfortable Sean would be and the overall awkwardness, altho she could not have anticipated the flying wine bottle and  knocking the poor lady down.

Thirty seconds of Lea....just about right.

I think Melendex might've been there more as a "okay, this could be interesting and there's nothing else to do, sooo" thing

8 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Yeah, as soon as they came up with the diagnosis I was saying, Oh, she needs HIPEC!  

Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, aka "hot chemo bath."  Heated chemo drug directly into the abdominal cavity, and they "swish it around" the organs for about an hour and a half to 2 hours to kill any remaining cancer cells.  

And yeah, it would probably be done by an oncological surgeon, NOT Shaun, et al.

YUP. I was also thinking "wait why aren't they doing shake and bake too?"

They should've at least had someone who could've been a body double for Cuddy from House be seen talking to the patient from afar, so it would seem like they were seeing an oncologist.

• Love 5

It really looks like Reznick is back to her Season 1 form, of seeing competition as the most important thing. Too bad her friend/possible love interest died last season during that outbreak; I think he would have helped her to be able to see her value and self-worth.

im glad to see that the date actually went well for Shaun, but unfortunately his anxiety was at a high during the date. I do give kudos to him for not freaking out and keeping it together despite that (the pickle incident aside). He has also improved with his communication, and knowing when to just provide the information the patients need (in previous seasons, he would tell them his personal opinion and scare the patients).

Dr. Andrews having to step down from President isn't too big of a surprise. Him pushing so hard for Dr. Han to be hired, and then firing him was going to result in a fallout, no matter how many times Dr. Andrews had to mention that Han let go one of the most talented doctors there.

• Love 4

Shaun at the restaurant: "I said NO PICKLES!!!!!"   Don't you hate it when the kitchen messes up your order? 😄

Why was that patient trying to hide the maggoty foot from the doctors? Why was he there, if not to get treated?

This. And why wasn't a full history taken? (I was only paying 1/2 attention for this particular scene.)

• Love 4

And why in the world would Carly want to go on a date with Shaun? I could see doing an activity with him like going fishing or playing golf or something. But a date? There is no conversation. The guy isn't interesting unless you're studying odd human behavior. All his responses are wooden. What's in it for Carly?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Sarnia said:

This! I couldn't put words to what bothered me but that's it. I know that Shaun asked for advice and is eager to "fit in" but obviously that's way to much pressure and denying of who he is, so he shouldn't have to put himself through this. Carly seems like a nice and understanding person and I'm sure that they could come up with their own dating routine instead of trying to fit to that very socially-coded procedure, which Shaun cannot handle (or at least cannot handle all at once).

Also, Carly got to know first the real Shaun, the intelligent but socially awkward doctor Shaun and I'm sure she would not expect him to be somebody else than who he is.

Exactly!  I hope Carly gets the chance to tell Shaun this.  She really looked bemused for lack of a better word when he broke in with one of the things he thought he was supposed to do on a date.  

• Love 4

So that boring patient guy was complaining about stomach pain while failing to mention the maggots that are currently eating his foot?! Way to bury the lead, guy! Are his boots so heavy and he wears them so much that he never noticed the maggot colony munching on his freaking flash?? Or did they all just get there? I think my response to that would be something like "HOLY CRAP BUGS BUGS IN MY SKIN GET THEM OUT CUT THAT SHIT OFF IF YOU GOTTA HEEEELLLPPPP!"

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mojito said:

And why in the world would Carly want to go on a date with Shaun? I could see doing an activity with him like going fishing or playing golf or something. But a date? There is no conversation. The guy isn't interesting unless you're studying odd human behavior. All his responses are wooden. What's in it for Carly?

He's a nice, sweet person, which is always appealing in and of itself. And when he does feel comfortable around somebody or in a particular situation, he can become a little more talkative, and will open up a little more. She may not know him quite as well as Claire and Lea do, but with time I think he could feel more comfortable talking with her, too.

I do agree, though, that it might've been easier for both of them if they'd had their date be more of a fun outing than a typical fancy dinner setting. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I do agree, though, that it might've been easier for both of them if they'd had their date be more of a fun outing than a typical fancy dinner setting. 

I love Shaun, but that would have been a nightmare date for me, and I also think something casual probably would have worked better.  

It's funny though because Freddie was on Kimmel this week talking about how dating was completely different from here than across the pond, and didn't really get going kayaking, attending sporting events, etc. equated as a date because he thought dinner or whatever was more suited to dating.  

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, Fable said:

I love Shaun, but that would have been a nightmare date for me, and I also think something casual probably would have worked better.  

Heh, and for me, I would've been fine with a dinner date. If I were going to do an activity thing, it'd depend on what it was. I'm not much of an outdoorsy person :p.

It's funny though because Freddie was on Kimmel this week talking about how dating was completely different from here than across the pond, and didn't really get going kayaking, attending sporting events, etc. equated as a date because he thought dinner or whatever was more suited to dating.  

LOL, yeah, I saw that interview! I'm with him, though I get where some might think doing fun casual stuff like what he listed here can ease some of that pressure. 

12 hours ago, mojito said:

People with autism are people too. People go on dates.

Now if you are saying "Why did they go out to a fancy dinner for a first date?" That is a better question - maybe she let Shaun decide what to do, and he chose dinner because that is seen as a traditional date.

5 hours ago, rhys said:

Did Shaun really catch that wine bottle or was that just part of the weird flashback?

From what they said, he actually caught it

• Love 8
On 9/24/2019 at 9:43 PM, Annber03 said:
On 9/24/2019 at 9:41 PM, TimetoShine said:

I think you'll all know to what I'm referring when I say I want to throw my entire stomache up.

Good episode except 🤢

LOL, yeah, when that came up I was like, "Well, that was unnecessary...". 

All I thought was, "Thank god I'm not eating dinner right now." 🤮

21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think my response to that would be something like "HOLY CRAP BUGS BUGS IN MY SKIN GET THEM OUT CUT THAT SHIT OFF IF YOU GOTTA HEEEELLLPPPP!"

Seriously. Stomach pain would've been the least of my issues. They would've had to tie me down to keep me from cutting my foot off and gag me to stop me from screaming. 😂

• Love 7
On 9/24/2019 at 10:41 PM, TimetoShine said:

Good episode except 🤢

Glad I have a strong stomach because I was eating. Blood and guts don't bother me. Hence, the eating during this show. But living things in or on a body that aren't supposed to be there? Yuck. And were those CGI maggots because those suckers were really moving around.

I think the man wasn't supposed to be able to feel them crawling on him because of his diabetic neuropathy, which caused numbness in his foot. But wouldn't he be able to see them when he took off his boots? 

22 hours ago, mojito said:

16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Heh, and for me, I would've been fine with a dinner date. If I were going to do an activity thing, it'd depend on what it was. I'm not much of an outdoorsy person :p.

They became good friends when Shaun worked in the lab. He was funny, smart, and they had good conversation. Carly didn't look exactly happy during the date, but she knows Shaun and likes him. I'm not sure if there's a love connection there, but who knows?

And I'm the opposite of you, Annber03. First dates (when I was single) were always awkward and uncomfortable for me unless we were doing something relatively physical like playing mini-golf or going to a sporting event. Anything to distract me from the fact that I was supposed to be talking. And that made talking easier, ironically. 

• Love 5

Can someone please remind me why Andrews was gone? I remember him firing the person he had hired to be Chief of Surgery, but I don't remember him leaving. 

I'm okay with everything being tied up quickly to get Glassman back - even if it was a bit contrived, I wanted him back in the hospital.

7 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

He's sweet, smart, kind and good-looking. That checks most of my boxes.

Seriously, he looked awfully handsome in that suit. 

He's also very hard-working and values his job. Carly's very dedicated to and cares about the work she does, and so it makes sense she'd be interested in somebody who's the same way about their job. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

He should have been able to SEE the maggots, even if he couldn't feel them. A necrotic foot is not something you can't see, even before the maggots take over.

Also, why were his boots on during an exam? And why didn't he have socks on under his boots?

I didn’t see the start of the scene but I assumed the guy was homeless. 

• Useful 1

Carly always looks at Shawn like she's his Kindergarten teacher.  Like she would go on a date with him because she thought it would be good for him, not because she actually liked him.

He should have taken her to a diner for pancakes.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, mojito said:

Hmm....So why in the world would Carly want to go out with Shaun?

I would date Shaun, or another man like him, in a second.  Yes, it might require a bit more compromise, but he is funny, smart, cute, etc.  He also does converse quite well when comfortable with the person, like with Claire.  

In fact, as I'm an introvert, Shaun would be well suited for me as "normal" people are exhausting and often annoying. 

• Love 11

And we're off with a bang!

I had an interesting conversation with my 20 year old son recently about dating. My son is higher functioning than Shaun, probably because we were lucky enough to get him diagnosed young and he's benefited from therapy and workshops.

He has also said to me that "dating is not worth it."  Relationships of all kinds are somewhat exhausting to him and he's definitely an introvert. Romantic relationships are another level of complicated - you basically need a map to maneuver through them. It's too bad, because he's very, very smart and a good and caring person, and I do think that he will eventually be lonely if he spends his whole life alone.  Maybe one day he will change his mind.

So I can totally see how Shaun feels this way, because I've heard the story. Dating is complicated enough for neuro-typical people, it's a nightmare for people on the autism spectrum. 

I really liked this episode and they've set up a few interesting story lines.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, aemom said:

And we're off with a bang!

I had an interesting conversation with my 20 year old son recently about dating. My son is higher functioning than Shaun, probably because we were lucky enough to get him diagnosed young and he's benefited from therapy and workshops.

He has also said to me that "dating is not worth it."  Relationships of all kinds are somewhat exhausting to him and he's definitely an introvert. Romantic relationships are another level of complicated - you basically need a map to maneuver through them. It's too bad, because he's very, very smart and a good and caring person, and I do think that he will eventually be lonely if he spends his whole life alone.  Maybe one day he will change his mind.

So I can totally see how Shaun feels this way, because I've heard the story. Dating is complicated enough for neuro-typical people, it's a nightmare for people on the autism spectrum. 

I really liked this episode and they've set up a few interesting story lines.

I am also higher functioning with autism (I'm 29). Never been on a date, but they seem like they would be very exhausting.

I hope the endgame isn't Shaun-Claire, because I like Shaun & uhhh whatever Aspirin from Fringe's character's name is.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

The dementia storyline also resonated with me.

I watched my father in law wither away from it only to realize as we were making the funeral arrangements for him that my mother in law was heading down that same path. About five years later, she has no idea who anybody is, wears diapers, and is just a shell of her former self.  She is just... existing. There is no real quality of life for her at all.

The wife totally made the right decision for her husband, as painful as it was.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, aemom said:

The dementia storyline also resonated with me.

I watched my father in law wither away from it only to realize as we were making the funeral arrangements for him that my mother in law was heading down that same path. About five years later, she has no idea who anybody is, wears diapers, and is just a shell of her former self.  She is just... existing. There is no real quality of life for her at all.

The wife totally made the right decision for her husband, as painful as it was.

I agree.  My mom passed from dementia and alzheimer's last year in exactly this same situation.  She had it for 15 years and the last 5 were brutal.  For me anyway.  I've told my daughter that I don't want to be like that and when we were watching the show together, I said this is a great illustration of how I would rather go out.  She, of course, said her usual "I don't want to talk about it".  It's so hard for the ones left behind, but sometimes a quicker end is much kinder to everyone involved. 

• Love 9
On 9/24/2019 at 8:30 PM, rhys said:

I didn't even notice the maggots on the guy's foot.

An ex-boyfriend of mine was in a full legcast for months and there was some decay in there. His doctor had served in Vietnam and suggested inserting maggots under the cast. They only eat dead flesh, They did exactly that and left.  So in the case of the diabetic, they were "cleaning up the site", and the doctors could then bandage or treat.

Added: The patient in this case had diabetes and was at a stage where he had no feeling in his feet, so the maggots wouldn't have bothered him.

Edited by morakot
And another thing....
  • Useful 3
40 minutes ago, morakot said:

Added: The patient in this case had diabetes and was at a stage where he had no feeling in his feet, so the maggots wouldn't have bothered him.

Physically maybe, but mentally I would be traumatized. And they grow up to be flies which are always annoying.

• Love 1

I agree that dinner-only first dates are high on the awkward end of the scale. Some kind of activity being involved lets you get in the rhythm of interacting with somebody first without having to think too hard about it. Might be less applicable here because Shaun and Astrid already know each other at least a bit, but still.

• Love 1