Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: American Merchandise

• Start Topic

I hate that Ernie has crossed over to the dark side. He was such a positive, sunny person before FAM.

And even Cody, who appeared to be successful at FAM, was financing his "sales" by having his mom pay for products. FAM is just a giant black hole of money (not surprising since it's MLM but nice to hear it confirmed and know that it's not just lazy people who need more downlines who are struggling).

• Love 3

Yeah, this will not end well for Ernie. 

I do love the friendship that has developed between Krystal and the repo lady. 

As for Krystal's epiphany that the MLM pyramid scheme is a scam and the only one getting rich is Hot Pockets Mustachio Man, did she really not see that she wasn't making money from FAM?  She knew her big bucks were coming from Splashercize, so I'm not sure why she was surprised that Hot Pockets Mustachio Man is ripping off all of them.

• Love 5

Ok, I have been thinking about what I would do if I was in Krystal's situation. I would take all the inventory from Mimi, the Disabled Senior Citizen, since Krystal owns it, and donate it to Pastor Steve's church for the maximum Charitable Tax Contributions for everyone that was in my downstream. I would figure out what was salvageable with the help of the people in the church. With the food, I would use to feed the homeless and start a restaurant business using the church parishioners as my pseudo employees, they wanted jobs and they will work for cheap. Maybe use the the church kitchen to prepare and distrubute the food. With the cleaning supplies, I would start a home cleaning business using the church parishioners as my pseudo employees. I would then go to my downstream and figure out what FAM Products they haven't been able to get rid of and buy them back at a reduced rate to keep my businesses supplied in the short term. Adding extra value to the products might make them profitable.

Here's where I thought the show was going, but somehow I don't think the show will get there. Judd Waltrip, the FAM Book Writing Doctor, is a loyal FAM member until he discovers there is something wrong (poisonous) about one or more FAM products. Judd tells Obie and Obie kidnaps Judd's family to keep him quiet. I am guessing it is the laundry detergent. All the bathing suits of FAM members in the Splashercize class caused the water to become poisonous, killing the flamingos we see Stan removing from the pool. The poisonous FAM product might cause people to hallucinate things like giant Mooses, and make babies and adults sick. This might be why that guy in the hazmat suit really wanted to talk to Krystal about her selling FAM Products. Roger Penland, the Barefoot Security Guy, allows Judd to spend time with his family as long as he promises never to leave the compound and not tell people about the dangerous product. There is also that lawsuit in Indiana, that might have something to do with the dangerous product.  

• Love 6

I think Krystal realized before that FAM is a ripoff i.e. there's no way for 1000 people to get rich selling window sparkler to the same 10000 people, so only the top tier were making money, but I can buy that the idea that no one at all is making money except Obie was new to her. As much as she always hated the concept of FAM, everything she's seen from the true believers and chief acolytes projected wealth and success, and as far as she knew, all those people were hustling products and/or recruiting dupes the same as she was.  Understanding the extent of all the lying, the manipulation, and the cult-like reverence is new.

I loved this episode. For all the fawning over Succession that people are doing, this show is the one actually holding our economy and the idea of dreams and entitlement accountable. All of the FAM tapes are in English, indeed.

I enjoyed seeing Obie and Sharon Lawrence taken down several pegs with the fundraiser, putting their whole scam in perspective and dropping tidbits about these legal troubles. Can't wait 'til he's murdered.

Meeting Cody's mother was a revelation. Shout out, Mary Steenburgen; I can never hate you, but the condescension that oozed out of you made me want to try. I really, really want to know why Cody's father is in jail now, but it's still just prurient curiosity. I don't think it'll be important for plot or character reasons. Cody warning Krystal away from his mom, however, was portentous.

Is Ernie in fact going to start a cult? His final scene with Krystal was grim; I'd like to see him with his wife again soon. His whole journey in this episode was tragic. Designing Women has a fantastic episode featuring a MLM scheme like Mary Kay, and there's a funny exchange about this unceasingly perky woman who talked herself out of a burglary. I couldn't help but think of that watching the robbery scene. It ended differently here though.

I'm just going to ignore the proposal business for now, and wait for a combo of the court system and Mirta Herrera's upcoming expose to deprogram Cody and Ernie, enrich Krystal, and unshackle all the downlines in the wake of Obie Garbeau's murder.

All this animal stuff has to mean something, I continue to believe?

• Love 6

The acting on this show is great.  Kristen Dunst wonderful as always. Mel Rodriguez was heartbreaking.  Theodore Pellerin I see good things for him in the future. 

That being said I am not sure if I like the direction the show is going. I feel like all the characters are messed up but the show wants me to see some of them as better then others. Obie is the worst but still if I am suppose to hate Cody I don't. Maybe it's because of the actor but I still feel a little bad for him. Yes Cody played a factor in what happened to Travis but still I feel Travis would have fallen in with anyone. 

Everyone on the show is brainwashed and it is sad but interesting. I want to see all the characters get out of this Fam pyramid Cult they are in. Krystal would not be in this mess if not for Fam but still I feel she is going dark. I still think she could take over or start something. I understand why but it is crazy to see.

Ernie has gone dark. That ending was heartbreaking. I understand why he is becoming brainwashed still it is sad to see. 

I am not sure if Cody's mom would have really helped. Telling him he smells of booze and filth. You don't buy a woman like that you rent one wow. Why is his dad in jail in him? I can see why he become brainwashed as well still it is sad to see. 

I do care about the show and characters but it is a dark comedy so I guess it could get worse. 

Krystal slapped Cody again while he was sitting at the kitchen table I think that is enough slaps now.  

• Love 3

Poor Ernie, he is so deeply committed to FAM now and he means so well and he really does think that he is helping people with FAM, all the while he is getting brainwashed and scammed and is falling apart, all the while dragging vulnerable people down with him, thinking he is helping them and finding meaning in his life, its so tragic. I think its one of the big issues that this show is looking at, how people look so hard to find something to make them happy or to have a "better" life (which we`re so often told me more moneys, bigger things, etc) or just want something to believe in, that when someone comes along with easy answers, they give that thing their heart and soul, even if its a terrible thing, which they could see with just a bit of effort. Its one of the reasons why FAM looks like so much a cult, its all about filling people up with false promises of finding meaning in life, a sense of belonging, and easy answers to complex questions. 

I think that Krystal knew it was a scam, but I think she thought that it was at least possible to get rich on FAM, being as she has been surrounded by these true believers and seemingly wealthy and successful people constantly bragging about their wealth and success (she has no clue that the couple from last week bragging about their houses and boats have mountains of debt) through FAM so she could have thought that a few select people were getting money, but now she knows that its ALL garbage and totally rigged. At least she tried to warn Ernie, and is maybe going public, now that she knows how bad this really is. Cody really is a weak willed broken little person, and even though he is spreading the horrible world of FAM, he is a true believer and has apparently latched onto the idea of Obie as a loving parental figure to deal with his dad in jail and his cold rich mother, and even in the clear face of FAMS massive corruption, he is still clutching onto it and looking for explanations and insisting that it will work for them. I dont blame Krystal for being furious with him (him throwing Travis at her was a low blow) but I also feel sorry for him. He must have some serious holes in him to fill it with so much bullshit. 

Is all of this animal death going somewhere? Could we just take a break from it for a second or two?

I love that Krystal has become friends with the repo lady. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I need a break from animal murder and that little weirdo getting off on being dominated.

I hope Obie rots in hell.

Well based on the ending we are probably done with Krystal and Cody. I had no issue actually with sex in the closet.  It is her slapping him that needs to stop. When he proposed you could see on her face she didnt want to then you could see the lightbulb go off and she used it to her advantage.  

Yes Obie sucks.  This is a show where you either hate a character or root for the weird ones. Crazy. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ShadowHunter said:

Well based on the ending we are probably done with Krystal and Cody. I had no issue actually with sex in the closet.  It is her slapping him that needs to stop. When he proposed you could see on her face she didnt want to then you could see the lightbulb go off and she used it to her advantage.  

Yes Obie sucks.  This is a show where you either hate a character or root for the weird ones. Crazy. 

I just hated that he made fun of Krystal’s  business idea, which was legitimate, when he is nothing more than an asshole con artist. I noticed how sexist FAM seems to be.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I just hated that he made fun of Krystal’s  business idea, which was legitimate, when he is nothing more than an asshole con artist. I noticed how sexist FAM seems to be.

Obie yea he is the worst hopefully he gets taken down at the end of the Season. He was also jealous that her idea was working. 

I see why Krystal wants her idea to work cause she needs the money but she is almost becoming obsessed. Much like the brainwashed Fam people she will do what it takes. As I said above this show took a turn. 

Speaking of this show I see no real promotion for it. They did it before it started but a few more interviews or something could not hurt. Showtime seems to support the show but I can tell not many people are watching it. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, izabella said:

I do love the friendship that has developed between Krystal and the repo lady. 

I do too but the way Krystal treated her in the last episode I wouldn't blame her for being mad at her. First Krystal wanted info from her about dead people then she used her as a babysitter and just dismissed her when she got home.

• Love 5

The character I felt sorriest for in this episode was little Krystal's dog.

I agree that Obie was unnecessarily dismissive of Krystal's idea. Compared to relying on people to sell crap every month, franchising her Splashercise class is a smart way to make money. First you charge people to take the training course to become an instructor. Then you charge them an annual fee to be an official licensed teacher. Then you charge them a monthly fee for using the course material to teach classes. Meanwhile, the instructors pay for renting the space on their own. In other words, FAM would make money for doing essentially nothing.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The character I felt sorriest for in this episode was little Krystal's dog.

I agree that Obie was unnecessarily dismissive of Krystal's idea. Compared to relying on people to sell crap every month, franchising her Splashercise class is a smart way to make money. First you charge people to take the training course to become an instructor. Then you charge them an annual fee to be an official licensed teacher. Then you charge them a monthly fee for using the course material to teach classes. Meanwhile, the instructors pay for renting the space on their own. In other words, FAM would make money for doing essentially nothing.

I think his ego could not take a woman coming up with a better idea than the stupid bullshit he peddles.

• Love 4

I don't know if it was because she was a woman, or that there's no real way for him to profit out of it. She's using his company and his process and his brainwashing, and he's not getting any of the money. And if he's not getting the money, then there's no point to it. 

4 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

It is her slapping him that needs to stop

They both got off on it, so I don't see any harm, but YMMV. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, whiporee said:

Yes they do and you are right, as I said earlier I had ho problem with the sex scene and nothing wrong with a woman being in more control when it comes to the loving lol. 

At the kitchen table towards the end of the episode she slapped  him on the head out of annoyance. That had nothing to do with getting off is what I meant. 

Now onto the funny moments of the episode.  I laughed when Obie's lunch went flying.  When Cody said 14 lol.  He really is naive when it comes to alcohol. 

• Love 3

Krystal: "Splashercise is what I call it."

Cody's mom: "You put a lot of thought into that now didnt you?"

Cody's mom is certainly something. Also, I guess now we know what all those people that rushed Area 51 a few day's ago were up to in the 90s!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, whiporee said:

I don't know if it was because she was a woman, or that there's no real way for him to profit out of it. She's using his company and his process and his brainwashing, and he's not getting any of the money. And if he's not getting the money, then there's no point to it.

Krystal was asking Obie to franchise Splashercize using the Garbeau/FAM name so the potential revenue I described above in my previous post could be going to Obie. In addition, she pointed out that she had her local pool fully stocked with FAM products which would provide additional income and could create more downlines. Even though the profit margins on FAM products is low, Obie and FAM would still be making money from selling the required tapes and the other conferences that they charge FAM people to attend to all the new downlines. Krystal specifically told Obie that he would make more money from Splashercize franchises than the existing FAM stuff and that he wouldn't have to lift a finger.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, whiporee said:

8 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Yes they do and you are right, as I said earlier I had ho problem with the sex scene and nothing wrong with a woman being in more control when it comes to the loving lol. 

At the kitchen table towards the end of the episode she slapped  him on the head out of annoyance. That had nothing to do with getting off is what I meant. 

Now onto the funny moments of the episode.  I laughed when Obie's lunch went flying.  When Cody said 14 lol.  He really is naive when it comes to alcohol. 

I think they made the point that they have a sexual relationship in which the guy likes to be dominated and humiliated. I frankly don’t care because it’s boring and repetitive.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Krystal was asking Obie to franchise Splashercize using the Garbeau/FAM name so the potential revenue I described above in my previous post could be going to Obie. In addition, she pointed out that she had her local pool fully stocked with FAM products which would provide additional income and could create more downlines. Even though the profit margins on FAM products is low, Obie and FAM would still be making money from selling the required tapes and the other conferences that they charge FAM people to attend to all the new downlines. Krystal specifically told Obie that he would make more money from Splashercize franchises than the existing FAM stuff and that he wouldn't have to lift a finger.

Bravo. Most good business people are always innovative no matter how much money they make. Obie is a conman that sells snake oil. He hates that she came up with a good idea and dismisses her as a dumb blonde. He would probably be an asshole with a man as well.

Cody pretending his rich family’s money is fam money pisses me off. He is almost as bad as Obie. Many poor people have lost everything because of these types of MLM scams and he is upholding the lie.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

When Cody said 14 lol. 

That was great! Mrs. Garbeau: "7 and 7, quick!" 

Cody (steps forward): "14"

1 hour ago, Snewtsie said:

This episode begins with a flashback of A young Krystal having to kill her beloved childhood dog. Any theories on the meaning & how it relates to FAM? 

I'm thinking that she is going to end up hurting a lot of people by taking down FAM but it's necessary, much like putting down a sick animal. It might even end up being a specific person, like Ernie, that she'll need to screw over in order to take down FAM. I think you can extend the metaphor even further by pointing out that in the flashback she first asked for help from the vet but ended up having to do it herself. So maybe reaching out to the journalist woman is a first step but it will finally really be up to her to step in and end it all? 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

That was great! Mrs. Garbeau: "7 and 7, quick!" 

Cody (steps forward): "14"

That exchange was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.  I laughed for several minutes and then watched it again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

When Dan Quayle smoothly brushed off Obie, I felt a little admiration for the real one, even though this was a totally fictional situation, and I'm a Democrat through and through.

Lol, they could of done better casting on Quayle but it was a satisfying moment. It showed me that Obie might be worshipped by the vulnerable but in real life he gets little respect even though he is rich.

• Love 4

This show is really great character study but I feel like the story is taking a long time to get off the ground. Part of the problem is that the promotion for this series pretty much gave away the ending - or at least the direction it was going to take - and they aren't anywhere near that point yet. But Mary Steenburgen is always a welcome addition to any show and she was great here. Kirsten Dunst and Theodore Pellerin are just so damn watchable. 

• Love 3

Renewed for S2.  Will Ernie being running a church cult? 

On 9/25/2019 at 3:17 PM, iMonrey said:

This show is really great character study but I feel like the story is taking a long time to get off the ground. Part of the problem is that the promotion for this series pretty much gave away the ending - or at least the direction it was going to take - and they aren't anywhere near that point yet. But Mary Steenburgen is always a welcome addition to any show and she was great here. Kirsten Dunst and Theodore Pellerin are just so damn watchable. 

Agree. Plus the episode description are out for the next 4 episodes lol.  

On 9/24/2019 at 6:21 AM, qtpye said:

Bravo. Most good business people are always innovative no matter how much money they make. Obie is a conman that sells snake oil. He hates that she came up with a good idea and dismisses her as a dumb blonde. He would probably be an asshole with a man as well.

In one of my many sales jobs, one of the requirements was that I have a car that was no older than four years old. They said it was because they needed us to project success or whatever, but the real reason was they wanted us to keep accumulating debt -- one of the higher ups let it slip once that he loved seeing his sales force driving expensive cars, because it made the desperate to pay the bills. 

Obie's business model requires people to fail. He gets them deeper in debt and the only way they see to get out is to work harder, recruit more downline, whatever. Since he makes his money selling the tapes and the seminars, it's crucial to his business that his overall downline fail, but still think they can succeed. But if they actually start to succeed to any real level, they wouldn't need his tapes or his seminars, and they wouldn't need to keep recruiting people to buy his tapes and seminars. 

it didn't have anything to do with her being a dumb blonde or a woman. it had to do with the fact that she was making money doing it, and that's not what the Garbeaux system is. They system is about recruiting people and getting them so deep in debt that they have to work 20 hour days just to stay above water recruiting more people to buy Obie's tapes. That's why they pressure people to quit their jobs -- really, what difference would having regular employment make in this kind fo distribution system, unless it's to make the downline even more desperate to recruit more, and therefore sell more Obie tapes and rallies. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, whiporee said:

In one of my many sales jobs, one of the requirements was that I have a car that was no older than four years old. They said it was because they needed us to project success or whatever, but the real reason was they wanted us to keep accumulating debt -- one of the higher ups let it slip once that he loved seeing his sales force driving expensive cars, because it made the desperate to pay the bills. 

Obie's business model requires people to fail. He gets them deeper in debt and the only way they see to get out is to work harder, recruit more downline, whatever. Since he makes his money selling the tapes and the seminars, it's crucial to his business that his overall downline fail, but still think they can succeed. But if they actually start to succeed to any real level, they wouldn't need his tapes or his seminars, and they wouldn't need to keep recruiting people to buy his tapes and seminars. 

it didn't have anything to do with her being a dumb blonde or a woman. it had to do with the fact that she was making money doing it, and that's not what the Garbeaux system is. They system is about recruiting people and getting them so deep in debt that they have to work 20 hour days just to stay above water recruiting more people to buy Obie's tapes. That's why they pressure people to quit their jobs -- really, what difference would having regular employment make in this kind fo distribution system, unless it's to make the downline even more desperate to recruit more, and therefore sell more Obie tapes and rallies. 

Thanks for sharing.  Really, really insightful ...and unsettling. 

I am hoping they expand the character of Obie's wife. I know that actress is talented.  Her character's facial expressions hint to her having a moral compass, yet she stays with a man who is utterly vile.  There's a story there, but I'm not sure if the writers will give it to us since we already have a lot going on with other characters who have been introduced yet still not fully explored.

• Love 1

My heart breaks for Ernie and Cody. Mel Rodriguez plays a completely different character in HBO's underappreciated Getting On - see it for him and for Niecy Nash. Both brilliant.

Ditto is doing a lot with limited camera time. And Pellerin is the man with a thousand faces. He packs a lot of expression into his every move. Levine's Obie is a bit too much of a cartoon to be taken seriously (and ominously). The real MLM monsters are the regular Joes who will cut your throat to make a buck.

Krystal will be just fine. She's a shark.

I'm watching the series for the acting and for the awesome portrayal of the early 90s. Krystal's denim outfits with the fabric inserts are perfect. As are her matching hair accessories.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4
On 9/28/2019 at 12:09 PM, Snewtsie said:

Thanks for sharing.  Really, really insightful ...and unsettling. 

I am hoping they expand the character of Obie's wife. I know that actress is talented.  Her character's facial expressions hint to her having a moral compass, yet she stays with a man who is utterly vile.  There's a story there, but I'm not sure if the writers will give it to us since we already have a lot going on with other characters who have been introduced yet still not fully explored.

Maybe it's for the money and the luxe lifestyle? If she is a traditional person she might believe that a wife should never question her husband's business practices. She actually does come off as very sweet but who knows...she might be as big of a con artist as her husband.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:10 AM, pasdetrois said:

My heart breaks for Ernie and Cody. Mel Rodriguez plays a completely different character in HBO's underappreciated Getting On - see it for him and for Niecy Nash. Both brilliant.

Ditto is doing a lot with limited camera time. And Pellerin is the man with a thousand faces. He packs a lot of expression into his every move. Levine's Obie is a bit too much of a cartoon to be taken seriously (and ominously). The real MLM monsters are the regular Joes who will cut your throat to make a buck.

Krystal will be just fine. She's a shark.

I'm watching the series for the acting and for the awesome portrayal of the early 90s. Krystal's denim outfits with the fabric inserts are perfect. As are her matching hair accessories.

Krystal's outfits are perfection. You can tell the stylist know who her character is.

• Love 1