Type keyword(s) to search

Fire Force - General Discussion

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

We've gotten eight episodes aired on Toonami so far going into tonight, so I reckon Fire Force deserves its own thread.

Here's the entry from Wikipedia . . . I felt the need to clip out some backstory.

. . . special fire brigades called the Fire Force fight increasing incidents of spontaneous human combustion where humans beings are turned into living infernos called "Infernals" (焰ビト Homura Bito). While the Infernals are first generation cases of spontaneous human combustion, later generations possess pyrokinesis while retaining human form. The Fire Force was formed by combining people with these powers from the Holy Sol Temple, The Tokyo Armed Forces and the Fire Defense Agency, and is composed by eight independent companies.

Our protagonist is Shinra Kusakabe, a third generation pyrokinetic who can ignite his feet for all sorts of purposes. Also, his resting face is smirky and pained, which some people take the wrong way. His mother was killed by an Infernal, and he winds up joining Special Fire Force Company 8 . . . a group that fights Infernals and covertly investigates the other seven companies.

Did I miss anything? Going into tonight's episode, looks like somebody from Company 1 is trying to create Infernals.

Edited by Lantern7

As far as I’m concerned, they could’ve made the whole series about Squad Company Seven.  

Although picturesque, building your neighborhood from wood in a Fortean future of potential Human Torches seems problematic.  (Flame On!)

Is anyone watching? It's good, but I reckon it's not as epic as the other shonen anime on the Toonami block. I did see Company 8 cosplay at Anime NYC a few weeks ago.

IMG_1029

And here are the second set of opening credits. I think they fit well here.

It still feels a bit light but I’m enjoying the cinematography more in recent episodes.  Here’s hoping it keeps going in the right direction.

It took me a while to realize who the captain they fought at the junkyard looked like, but then I realized:  Fools!

• Love 1

In addition to being a pyrokinetic, Tamaki seemingly has the ability to warp probabilities which results in her being separated from her clothing in a highly unlikely fashion and falling into the hands of an inadvertent lecher. Then she brings a beat-down on the lech with an assist from Sister Iris.

Bumping up because Toonami has put this series back in the lineup, starting with “The Blacksmith’s Dream.” I think it’ll run through the end of the first season, followed by the upcoming second season.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:32 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Gee, I wish I had expository biceps. 😁

Gotta love the breezy first episode of a new season. These people apparently live in a world with spontaneous human combustion AND popular beefcake calendars. Damn, the guys go all out for those.

Realization: Shinra & Arthur are more or less Shinji and Zoro from One Piece.

”Turn this Python . . . into a Cobra!” Now I got that image in my head. 🙄😜

Edited by Lantern7

Things are warming up, as Shinra deals with possession via Endola Burst. For comedy fans, you have a choice: the dude from Station 4 that was way too into Shinra’s abilities, or Arthur having to create a scenario to enable his knight fetish.

Edited by Lantern7

I’m still watching.

The squad finishes a mission to China, with a bunch of exposition about the history of the Evangelist - who looks like the Myojin of Cleansing Fire to me.  I like that Shinra is willing to take on God if he has to.

Random theory:  the Edola Burst twilight world is actually the world of the past at the time of the Great Cataclysm - this explains the smoke and the skeletons. 

1 hour ago, lathspel said:

The squad finishes a mission to China . . .

. . . and they have talking animals. Lots of world-building, new characters, and talking animals.

I hope I’m not coming off as dismissive. I tend to forget bits and pieces of the bigger pieces, so my brain is all, “Wait, so China is all rural now? Is that why the bumpkin accent is turned up to 12 for Juggernaut?”

(edited)

Anyone else watching? Right now on Toonami, they got Companies 2 & 8 exploring The Nether, and a lot of the Company 2 guys are getting killed. The framing makes it funnier than it should, with the troops flashing back and making promises to loved ones that they’ll never keep. And then the one guy gets shot, his body gets puppeteered by the bitch from the Purple Haze. Scared Licht is Best Licht.

I don’t get Juggernaut’s powers. He can refill his massive uniform quickly? I can’t connect that to pyrokinesis.

Edited by Lantern7

So the manga just concluded in Japan. I'm pretty neutral on Fire Force, don't really love it or hate it. Read an article revealing the ending and boy, it ended with one hell of a kicker.

Spoiler

Shinra wins and sets up a new society that ends up becoming the Soul Eater world. Had completely forgotten the mangaka wrote both.

I have to admit, this does make it more interesting.