Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Walter Goggins will always be Shane from The Shield and Boyd from Justified which means I spent most of the episode waiting for him to pull a gun on someone.

Whoever cast the two daughters did a good job because they look similar enough to be sisters (and related to Wade).

While I understood his friends' concern, (1) I don't think that dating is the answer to any of the issues we saw at the house like the dogs on the counter and (2) everyone grieves on their own timetable so leave the man alone! We saw that he was still going to work, attending soccer games and even serving as a referee, etc. so he wasn't just lying in bed with the blankets pulled over his head all day.

I would be fine with the show either showing him dating a lot of different women or letting the show evolve into something beyond the title and initial premise. Like some others here, Cougar Town was an example that came to mind. The show started with one premise and shifted pretty quickly to another and it was totally fine.

The other somewhat recent show I remember that dealt with a man dealing with the loss of his wife as the main premise was Go On (which was underrated and canceled after one season).

Anyway, I liked the relationship that Wade has with his daughters. His friends are fine from the little that we saw of them aside from the meddling. It seems like a good number of people in the cast to provide some variety in the friendships/interactions among them without having too many people.

Bonus points: no laugh track!

• Love 3
On 9/27/2019 at 9:45 PM, tennisgurl said:

Walton Goggins as a nice normal suburban dad is really strange to see. He is pulling it off pretty well, but every time he opened up that freezer I half expected to see a dead body in it.

Thanks, that line made me truly LOL!

On 9/30/2019 at 4:09 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Bonus points: no laugh track!

Which it sounds like Goggins had a hand in.

when Walton Goggins signed onto The Unicorn, a new CBS comedy about dating after the death of a spouse, he immediately recommended a key change: the removal of a studio audience.

I enjoyed the pilot.  I only heard about it a few hours before it premiered on CBS.  The only other things I'm watching on network TV these days are Brooklyn Nine-Nine and SNL.  I'll definitely give this a few more tries.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Thanks, that line made me truly LOL!

Which it sounds like Goggins had a hand in.

I enjoyed the pilot.  I only heard about it a few hours before it premiered on CBS.  The only other things I'm watching on network TV these days are Brooklyn Nine-Nine and SNL.  I'll definitely give this a few more tries.

Go watch The Good Place

Don't google anything about it, don't look it up, go load up netflix and start watching.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, bros402 said:

Go watch The Good Place

Don't google anything about it, don't look it up, go load up netflix and start watching.

Several people have suggested it to me and I've tried it once.  I had a hard time with the afterlife setting, but I did like Defending Your Life so I might give it another try. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

Several people have suggested it to me and I've tried it once.  I had a hard time with the afterlife setting, but I did like Defending Your Life so I might give it another try. Thanks!

I gave up on it at the literal end of the pilot and didn't watch the second episode which was airing the same night.  BUT, I was spoiled on the end of the first season, which makes it interesting enough that I will watch the full series.  Someday.  When it's all on Netflix.

1 hour ago, ccphilly said:

Haddish isn't in this.  The actress is Maya Lynne Robinson, last seen in The Conners

Well, that's embarrassing. Never, ever post when you have taken a hard blow to the head and have a concussion. It does things. Haddish is in something I have scheduled to record, I swear. And I love Maya Lynne Robinson. I could swear....gah. Thank for being nice in the correction. I knew that character and whomever was playing her was why I tuned in to this. Ohhhh, I had bookmarked Haddish's book, which has unicorn in the title. Never hit your head  on a hard metal stairlift track. It's not pretty. (Though, based on my TV watching since it happened, it's made me a very easy audience as I am liking every show I watch). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Give it through episode 4 - the first 4 episodes of The Good Place aired in 10 days, so there was a *lot* of Good Place in that time period, which was a good thing imo

18 hours ago, Darian said:

Thank for being nice in the correction. I knew that character and whomever was playing her was why I tuned in to this. Ohhhh, I had bookmarked Haddish's book, which has unicorn in the title.

If it helps, I initially thought it was Xosha Roquemore from The Mindy Project and had to look it up, so I feel you!

• Love 2
On 10/3/2019 at 3:24 PM, ccphilly said:

Haddish isn't in this.  The actress is Maya Lynne Robinson, last seen in The Conners

Wow. I love her in this. Did not like her in The Conners. Loved (paraphrasing) having only one kid vs. having four kids is like having no kids. 

• Love 1
On 10/4/2019 at 11:55 AM, ccphilly said:

If it helps, I initially thought it was Xosha Roquemore from The Mindy Project and had to look it up, so I feel you!

Yes, it does, thank you. Not even going to tell you who I thought the bald man was (I have a little facial blindness. If two people have similar coloring and body type, I have no chance. Have bailed on shows because too many characters had similar coloring. There was some family drama shows years ago where I think five characters with pale, slender white men with short dark hair. I gave up during the pilot. Reality competition shows are fine, because they put up the names a lot. I should just have IMBD up every time I post here). 

• Love 2
On 10/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, ccphilly said:

She really reminds me of Tamra, I’ve done a double take a few times.  You are not alone!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Darian said:

Yes, it does, thank you. Not even going to tell you who I thought the bald man was (I have a little facial blindness. If two people have similar coloring and body type, I have no chance. Have bailed on shows because too many characters had similar coloring. There was some family drama shows years ago where I think five characters with pale, slender white men with short dark hair. I gave up during the pilot. Reality competition shows are fine, because they put up the names a lot. I should just have IMBD up every time I post here). 

I have that same issue! 

I used to watch The Mindy Project though, so I never confused that actress with the one on this show.  I like Xosha a lot more, and thought she was hilarious on TMP.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2019 at 7:49 PM, AnnaRose said:

I have that same issue! 

I used to watch The Mindy Project though, so I never confused that actress with the one on this show.  I like Xosha a lot more, and thought she was hilarious on TMP.

They both (Xosha Roquemore, and then Maya Lynne Robinson) have played DJ's wife Geena on Rosanne/The Conners.

• Useful 3

I had no interest in this but Mr. Jillybean recorded it, so we watched it and...still no interest. Actually, I gave it one more episode but it was essentially laugh-free, so I'm out. I've never seen this Goggins person before, but I think they needed someone at least moderately attractive to pull off the "unicorn" premise. His hairline and teeth both freak me out.  Michaela Watkins gave me a faint glimmer of hope, but she doesn't have enough to work with here. She was one of the best things about Trophy Wife.

• Love 1