Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

2019 Auditions, Finals, and Training Camp Spoilers

3 hours ago, SmpIsimon said:

Kat "made it" because they needed more diversity.  I's a growing concern that the team is too white.

Why am I not surprised? They could have addressed this growing concern by:

1. Keeping Gabby, who is a far more talented dancer than Kat.

2. Allowing women with real curves and natural ethnic hairstyles on the team.

3. Diversifying their coaching staff (oh yes, I went there!).

But I guess Kelli was too busy trying to rewrite history and create a narrative favoring VK that she didn't have time to appropriately address the glaring lack of diversity.

• Like 19

27 minutes ago, Opine said:

It would be awesome of Kat came back next year natural!!!  Honestly, with her skin being so light and the blond hair, I get her mixed up with the pack of blondes in a lot of pics.  Her look doesn't scream diversity to me.

I completely agree. She just blends in with the sea of blonde white girls. It’s almost like she tried to make herself appear as a white girl in order to make the team. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I usually don't go for spoilers, but the TV broadcasts of the football games already spoiled the 2 most controversial decisions, Kat and Meredith, so I figured I'd dive into the discussion.  From day 1, those two were the most obvious cuts to my untrained eye. I can at least see the improvement that Kat made throughout TC, so I can understand her inclusion.  Especially considering the beauty and diversity factors that others have mentioned.  Kat is very sexy.  It sounds like I'm in the minority, but I love her personality.  

Meredith is a completely different ball of wax.  I loved, loved, loved her at first glance.  Count me among the guys who find her incredibly beautiful, although I agree she doesn't have the shapeliest body compared to others.  I know most on the forum are here for the dancing, and that is ultimately what the squad is about, but part of the squad is still being eye candy, no matter how outdated that attitude may be.  I think most of the 80k butts in the seats are more concerned with the latter.  That's probably a big part of why she made it.  If that is the case, I actually think that is a mistake.  If a DCC is a questionable dancer, which is being kind in her case, I think it's better if they're one of the "blenders". Meredith always catches my eye when dancing, but she makes so many glaringly obvious mistakes, I don't think you want her being noticed.  Some dancers make a mistake, transition out of it, and probably 95% of the crowd never even notices.  Meredith literally stops mid-dance and tries to figure out what she did wrong.  She doesn't have the ability to smoothly cover up her mistakes.  Does anyone know how she has done so far this season? Has she continued her mental mistakes or have they improved? 

Random thoughts:

• Did Gina really not make the calendar? She definitely has the calendar look, so that is shocking.
  • No matter how Kelli acted in Julia's office visit, Julia had to go.  She didn't even realize what mistake she made after watching the interview.  If that's how she really feels, then she was going to be a one and done anyway.
  • This show can be weird sometimes, but it has had a positive effect, at least for someone like me.  Without this show, when they show a DCC on TV during a football game, I'd probably think to myself, "What a babe!" or some other chauvinistic remark.  Now, I think, "Hey, it's Heather!".  
  • Like 18

18 minutes ago, DCCobsessed said:

I completely agree. She just blends in with the sea of blonde white girls. It’s almost like she tried to make herself appear as a white girl in order to make the team. 

Diversity. Let’s investigate what that word really means: that there are more realities of color!

Kat is just right, not too white or not too much color. Just Kat.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SanDiegoGal said:

and natural ethnic hairstyles on the team.

I wanted to say that but was afraid it would be against forum rules.   It would be miserable for me but they aren't me.  If it is what she wants so be it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Opine said:

It would be awesome of Kat came back next year natural!!!  Honestly, with her skin being so light and the blond hair, I get her mixed up with the pack of blondes in a lot of pics.  Her look doesn't scream diversity to me.

The DCC discourages ethnic girls from having "natural" hairstyles.  Just look at Jacie's hair when she was on the team and now.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 4

FWIW, Kat may just like the straight, long hair look. While I certainly think there’s an effort to push all women into looking like barbies, which leads to all of the weaves and wigs on the team, it shouldn’t be assumed that all of the black women want to wear their natural curls or wear braids, etc. Some do, some don’t. It’s possible Kat would still opt for the same wig she has now no matter what DCC encouraged. That may just be what she likes - doesn’t mean she’s trying to “look white.” 

Edited by Jess14
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, SmpIsimon said:

I's a growing concern that the team is too white.

And yet they got rid of Gabby ...

• Like 4

This years squad has Latina girls on the squad and they already had 2 black vets before adding Kat. The squad also would have had Gabby had they not dismissed her at finals.

Last year when Keyra was booted off at finals weren't there like 5 or 6 (including over the top Malena) black women in contention for TCC. 

Has DCC really been so lacking in diversity over the years that they feel panicked about this now? I don't have a problem with DCC choosing girls based on looks, arguably they already do that because traditionally one is supposed to be "DCC pretty" to make the squad but DCC has had black women on the squad since the late 60s /early 70s so I don't think anyone could reasonably accuse them of bias. 

• Like 1

It's obvious why Kat and Meredith were excited Charlotte was at that almost last rehearsal.  If you see in recent seasons, when Charlotte shows up at end of training camp, she usually announces that they made the team.  So Katand Meredith were thinking she was announcing the team that night!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I'm going to assume that some of these comments are coming from a lack of familiarity with Black Americans and not from callousness. Black Americans are just as, if not in some instances, more genetically diverse than our fellow White Americans. While White Americans might have sets of grandparents who are from various European countries (Irish, Dutch, German etc) the average Black American is 75 % - 85% of African Descent, our skin tone and hair textures therefore vary. 

Kat is no different than Beyonce or Vanessa Williams or any number of Black Americans. There are redheaded and dark blond Black Americans who have those hair colors because of white ancestors. 

Instead of wearing extensions like several other black and white DCCs, Kat is wearing a wig which has ash brown highlights that Kelli and the staff picked out for her look. 

I'd encourage anyone who wants to know more about this topic to do an internet search.

Edited by kerrieway
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, SmpIsimon said:

Kat "made it" because they needed more diversity.  I's a growing concern that the team is too white.

However, Kat has a beautiful face, a gorgeous figure that looks great in the uniform, is photogenic, has a high energy, and is personable.  She has improved over training camp and looks powerful on the field.  By contrast, Meredith has a beautiful face but a boxy figure that does NOT look good in the uniform, was surprisingly stiff and unphotogenic during her cameo shoot, and does not have a powerful presence on the field.  I can understand keeping Kat, but not Meredith.  So the whole speculation about Meredith having some prior connection to the Jones family, or the Bush family, or comes from money or whatever makes more and more sense because I don't get how they'd keep her.  The whole understudy thing is bogus because that's what the All Starts are for--last year Jinelle danced several times, particularly when Yuko was in her car accident at the beginning of the season.  

• Like 2

Is Meredith an alternate? If so, that’s going to be a disaster. How is she going to fill in for anyone when she can’t pick up new choreography, can’t adapt choreography for any position in the formation, and panics/screws up when she has to make yard line changes on the fly... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kerrieway said:

I'm going to assume that some of these comments are coming from a lack of familiarity with Black Americans and not from callousness. Black Americans are just as, if not in some instances more, genetically diverse than our fellow White Americans. While White Americans might have sets of grandparents who are from various European countries (Irish, Dutch, German etc) the average Black American is 75 % - 85% of African Descent, our skin tone and hair textures therefore vary. 

Kat is no different then Beyonce or Vanessa Williams or any number of Black Americans. There are redheaded and dark blond Black Americans who have those hair colors because of white ancestors. 

Instead of wearing extensions like several other black and white DCCs, Kat is wearing a wig which has ash brown highlights that Kelli and the staff picked out for her look. 

I'd encourage anyone who wants to know more about this topic to do an internet search.

Thank you and this is why I don’t say much on DCC and lack of natural hair. Yes, they could use more WOC, definitely. However I think if DCC hair as part of their costume and that is part of a brand that likes the fake Barbie look. All of these girls have way enhanced hair, nails, makeup, half of them have implants/botox/fillers etc. maybe more lately with the botox and fillers to ‘tighten and lift’ jaws and eyes. But with the hair I personally see it as part of the costume, which is to make them all look the same with very little diversity. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, veronicamers said:

As it should be (a growing concern, that is). I just read this article about the diversity of the new crop of Rockettes (multiple women of color and a dancer born without a left hand). It is really striking when you compare a group like this to the homogenous DCC. I have to imagine representation is on their minds (again, as it should be).

https://nypost.com/2019/10/19/meet-the-new-diverse-faces-of-the-rockettes/?fbclid=IwAR2YB5rjNrD6Sx5A9qTT2wSRwX-2XthlNeiiqPck_o8b0yCdoA8ENYcgZ_A

Thank you for posting that article! Of note, it mentions that a few of the Rockettes are into their 40’s, and seven are moms. That’s so awesome IMO. Was it this year that a former TCC in her 40’s tried out? I wish her dancing was stronger, bc she looked incredible. The squad has gotten so slim I don’t know many 30++ that would make it on the HD screen. As Kelli and my grandma always said, five pounds on the waist takes five years off the face. 

As for the Rockettes, good on them for expanding their casting calls and having a more diverse team. Jacie was only one of two (visibly) black women on the team last year when I saw their performance live. (Can highly recommend btw!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kerrieway said:

This years squad has Latina girls on the squad and they already had 2 black vets before adding Kat. The squad also would have had Gabby had they not dismissed her at finals.

Last year when Keyra was booted off at finals weren't there like 5 or 6 (including over the top Malena) black women in contention for TCC. 

Has DCC really been so lacking in diversity over the years that they feel panicked about this now? I don't have a problem with DCC choosing girls based on looks, arguably they already do that because traditionally one is supposed to be "DCC pretty" to make the squad but DCC has had black women on the squad since the late 60s /early 70s so I don't think anyone could reasonably accuse them of bias. 

Is this an argument saying that DCC IS diverse because of a couple of Latinas and 3 black women and a history of a few other black women?? Because I don’t think it’s making the point you think it is. It’s showing how woefully behind they are in diversity. There are TONS of WOC with the DCC look/style out there, no reason more shouldn’t be on the team. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ATLGirl said:

I find it interesting that up until now, they’ve had All Stars fill in when they get injuries. Why have they now invented this alternate set up? So they could keep Meredith when they know she’s a train wreck? As Kitty would say, did her uncle buy the studio floor?

I've wondered about that as well. The only reason that's come to my mind is that maybe they didn't want to have to pay an All-Star extra for appearing in a game in addition to what they pay her for All-Star duties? I don't think I've ever heard what All-Stars get paid for their appearances. Or maybe TPTB just want to keep the All-Stars as a separate thing.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:14 AM, MelissaB326 said:

One of my Instagram friends was at the game last night and her view showed a very crooked line during the kick line, all I could think of was Judy yelling “Lines!”

22DE00A3-12EB-4CA3-A67D-A60A987D8F79.jpeg

K&J must have been inwardly screaming when they saw this on the big screen. What is going on with the middle section that is causing such a snafu? Are all the Rookies in the middle? Is VK so off balance that she's pulling everyone out of alignment with her? We need answers!

• Laugh 1

Drogo

Discussion of the episodes should happen in the episode threads.  Discussion of past seasons should happen in the Past Seasons thread. THIS TOPIC IS FOR SPOILERS.  Click here to read the rules before posting.