Type keyword(s) to search

2019 Auditions, Finals, and Training Camp Spoilers

Drogo
  • Start Topic

35 minutes ago, Donna S said:

No. You are not way off.  I didn't watch Friday's episode (and honestly don't know if I want to!) but I have watch her dance in different videos.  It appears that she doesn't have any core strength.  She falls out  and when she kicks, it appears as though she arches her back to get her kicks higher.  To me, this shows a lack of core strength.  

Question for the whole class:

How does a dancer build up that core strength - is it from repetition from performing the dances/kick line?  Or does it mean doing a supplemental workout?  Cause if VK has been dancing since she was in the womb, how does she not have the strength or control to perform these moves?  And is she at risk for injury?  Is it possible she can injure someone else in the kick line?  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, scorpio1031 said:

How does a dancer build up that core strength - is it from repetition from performing the dances/kick line?  Or does it mean doing a supplemental workout?  Cause if VK has been dancing since she was in the womb, how does she not have the strength or control to perform these moves?  And is she at risk for injury?  Is it possible she can injure someone else in the kick line?  

Jay worked with someone to "strengthen the core" one year but for the life of me I can't remember who or the circumstances.

Cause if VK has been dancing since she was in the womb, how does she not have the strength or control to perform these moves? 

"dancing" since birth in a competition type studio that doesn't teach technique.

Kelli talks badly, I feel,  about classically trained ballet dancers - IMHO but that's how you build up your core strength.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, DCCFan2019 said:

Jay worked with someone to "strengthen the core" one year but for the life of me I can't remember who or the circumstances.

I can picture him saying it, but I can't think of who he has said it to, cause I thought it was to more than one TCC.

6 minutes ago, chabelisaywow said:

"dancing" since birth in a competition type studio that doesn't teach technique.

Kelli talks badly, I feel,  about classically trained ballet dancers - IMHO but that's how you build up your core strength.

So, if she had stayed with one studio that focused on technique over tricks, she would have gained a better foundation with which to perform moves?  I know Shelly said she had taken ballet, but I get the feeling it wasn't for long.

Of course, then she would have had to listen to "feedback" as how to develop her technique, right?

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, MelissaB326 said:

Ahh the Facebook casuals. They exist in this weird in between land of caring enough about a show to write about it on Facebook but not enough to actually seek out enough background knowledge for any of their comments to make sense. 

Recent Facebook/Instagram highlights: They love Victoria, think Maddie is the only choice for point and I also see the occasional person complain about game pictures being “spoilers”.  

I was shocked to see some people on Instagram see through the bad edit they tried to give Jalyn and call Kelli out. 

Another highlight: When they called Kitty "a queen" in S13 and asked CMT to feature her EVEN MORE than they were already doing so.

• LOL 7

So, if she had stayed with one studio that focused on technique over tricks, she would have gained a better foundation with which to perform moves?  I know Shelly said she had taken ballet, but I get the feeling it wasn't for long.

I used to think Dayton had no technique - but I think (this is just my opinion), her heart just wasn't in it. I've see Dayton's IG videos - she has had classical training, en pointe.  She can pirouette cleanly, without falling out.  Maybe the DCC "style" just wasn't her thing.  MTT did not highlight her strengths.

From what I've read, VK did the competition school rounds.  Those schools do recitals, compete at like NYCDA, etc. Most ballet schools do not do this.  Another thing - I read VK was a hopper.  CORRECTIONS ARE HOW YOU LEARN.  If you cannot process corrections, then well - you have Victoria.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, chabelisaywow said:

Another thing - I read VK was a hopper.  CORRECTIONS ARE HOW YOU LEARN.  If you cannot process corrections, then well - you have Victoria.

Yeah, wasn't it you that said a hopper was a dancer who sucks and a mommy who doesn't want to hear her dancer sucks:)

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

Yeah, wasn't it you that said a hopper was a dancer who sucks and a mommy who doesn't want to hear her dancer sucks:)

lol probably - tbh,

When I think of what a dancer who has a strong core - I think of Mahalaya.  Tell me if you can tell the difference.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, DanceChick said:

Please no more KaShara. Gah, she's annoying as hell. But agree with her on Caroline!

First let me say I've grown to like Kash for reasons I won't go into here.  What exactly do you find "annoying"?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, scorpio1031 said:

Effortless, controlled, can have limbs moving in different direction and it "looks pretty", doesn't feel rushed

I want to rephrase what I said about hopping - I think Tina didn't want to hear that Victoria was anything less than perfect. (and in most semi serious studios - there are "Dance moms.")

That's why I get mildly irritated when Kelli says "world class" dancers. I've seen some "pretty good" dancing - and what we are seeing, is not.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, chabelisaywow said:

I want to rephrase what I said about hopping - I think Tina didn't want to hear that Victoria was anything less than perfect. (and in most semi serious studios - there are "Dance moms.")

Oh good lord...can you imagine what Dance Moms would have been like if Victoria was a student @ ALDC?? 

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, chabelisaywow said:

jojo siwa and her mom.

Pls continue this in PM so we won't get in trouble for derailing.  Remind me who Jojo is? I don't really remember her.  I kinda stopped watching Dance Moms when the girls were rather young.

7 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Marching band/drum majorette/baton

Oh really?? Nice! Usually with marching band before you're a DM/baton you have to have played an instrument (at least that's the way it was when I was in HS).  Any idea what Kelli might've played?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Reveala said:

I don't think the women stand close enough to each other to worry about swinging hair of any type hitting them. The "problem" with locs/braids is with corporate white folks who feel it's also a political statement. My white, male bosses hated my braids when I wore them, but used euphemisms to say so: "You look so much more beautiful with your hair 'the other way'"

In the earliest years of DCC, Black women danced in short naturals (Afro), but there was a different DCC director, and different team owner. Somehow they recognized then that Black female representation was very important. Recently, some white DCC have danced with curls as tight as Cersten' s and Jenna. 

Weaves and especially wigs are a convenient, safer hair alternative for 4 months of dancing. 

Braids IMO are still not the best alternative, those braids IMO would still whip and hit the one wearing it in the face and health wise and convenience wise I just don't see it as the best move. But I'm glad you mentioned the spacing, yesterday I looked at them doing the kickline and you are right, they don't stand close enough in the kick line to hit someone with their braids. 

In the earlier days of DCC, they had Farrah Fawcett hair and girls wore pigtails and straight bangs. I think the afros in those 1970s and 1980s pictures were no different, just more the fashion of the time. 

'I think some non-black people may see braids as more trendy and less reserved in appearance.  But do they see it as a political statement? Maybe, I don't know...a political statement saying what? Have you seen them react the same way when someone has worn a braid out or twist out? When I think about it I just don't think some non-black people are huge fans of really curly hair, even their own (think Napolean Dynamite curly hair), I am not trying to be racist here and maybe I'm just misinformed but it seems that they often flat iron their hair when it's really curly. There are exceptions, one example would have been someone like Hilarie Burton back on her One Tree Hill days. I know curly perms used to be a thing, do lots of people still get them...i dont know.

Edited by kerrieway
2 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

VK has good the technique - she has beautiful extension and good placement.   Some people just are not good at turning no matter how much they train, and some people are just really good natural turners off the bat.   And even “good” turners fall out or drop their relieve on turns occasionally, so just cause she fell out of a few turns on the show doesn’t mean she can’t turn.  

Regardless, she’s is not at risk for injuring herself or others in the kick-line as her kicks appear to be great and she seems to remember choreography fine.

IMO VK is a far better dancer than is required to be a DCC - and is better than a large portion of the current squad when it comes to technique.  That’s why the majority of her critiques last year were not dance related, it’s why she wins Barbies and gets good scores at auditions, it’s why a lot of the guest choreographers like her and why she made show group.

• LOL 14
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Lona said:

From time to time I journey forth from the safe forum haven and go to the Facebook page for a good laugh. I'll never forget the time they started talking about us.

They practically compared us to a cult led by Shelly and she was somehow leading us against Victoria while Dayton was in training camp. Ah, yes. Good times ... good times. I so wish I could screenshot the comment but that was made last season and I don't even know it exists anymore.

😂🤣😂.

#@ShellyBforpresident

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, chabelisaywow said:

I used to think Dayton had no technique - but I think (this is just my opinion), her heart just wasn't in it. I've see Dayton's IG videos - she has had classical training, en pointe.  She can pirouette cleanly, without falling out.  Maybe the DCC "style" just wasn't her thing.  MTT did not highlight her strengths.

From what I've read, VK did the competition school rounds.  Those schools do recitals, compete at like NYCDA, etc. Most ballet schools do not do this.  Another thing - I read VK was a hopper.  CORRECTIONS ARE HOW YOU LEARN.  If you cannot process corrections, then well - you have Victoria.

The vast majority of those dancers on DCC MTT did exactly what you describe - the competition school rounds.   That’s what Holly, Jaylen, Melissa, dark haired Megan w/ the weight issues, even Erica did.  They were competition dancers who went to studios that did recitals, competed, went to conventions.   I’m not sure why it’s seen as such a negative for VK when it isn’t for the others.  And it wouldn’t  surprise me at all if a lot of them hopped between studios - it’s pretty common for dancers to switch at least once, that is unless your mom is the studio owner.

9 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:
Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, NMDD43 said:

Kinda gross too that this was clearly a thought out, premeditated storyline. Why else would the camera guys conveniently be focused on Jalyn for her reaction and her leaving the studio?

After deliberations Kelli also says there will be some disappointments and also some surprises. It was like they were setting Jalyn up and I agree it was a premeditated storyline. 

Also a correction to what someone said earlier—it was Jacie not Cheryl that asked about Jalyn being on SG last year. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Isolabella said:

I hate to say it, but after watching this week's episode, I think Rachel W. will be the point next year. 😱 She has improved so much from last season (watch her in the hip hop halftime when she's in the second row of the pyramid behind Maddie). There are so many talented 2nd years who would absolutely kill it at point (Caroline and Bridget come to mind) but you know how Kelli loves the pretty girls and she's always had a giant girl crush on Rachel W.

Don't get me wrong! I'm not saying I want her at point. But after watching the montage of pictures they took of Rachel during show group auditions, I was like ohhhh shit it's gonna be her next year.

Rachel W is at the top of my list for point next year, along with Heather (if she comes back), Bridget, or Caroline.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, DCCFan2019 said:

Oh really?? Nice! Usually with marching band before you're a DM/baton you have to have played an instrument (at least that's the way it was when I was in HS).  Any idea what Kelli might've played?

They USED to enforce that rule back in the 80s when I was a majorette (and, later, Drum Major).  Nowadays you hardly seem to see any real twirlers, at least with many urban bands (and I live in ATL). 

Instead of an actual skill, schools and "competition teams" dress these girls up in sequined booty-shorts, have them "dance" (gyrate their hips) to popular hip-hop music, and then call them Majorettes.  None of them have to take band as a class for credit anymore, which would require they...y'know...LEARN something. 

Think about it:  if they were at all disciplined, they'd be willing to put in the effort to learn to twirl.  These gals won't even do that, so they sure as hell won't bother to pick up an instrument.

Kelli was probably just Color Guard or something.  If she DID play an instrument, I see her as clarinet.  Maybe flute.

(Sorry, but she's just not cool enough to have been a percussionist.  We drummers have a different vibe, even all these years later.  😎)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, ATLGirl said:

I know you're hoping Brennan will be holding it down someday, am I right? 😉

#BrennanforTheSacredSpot 😄 

5 hours ago, NMDD43 said:

KaShara picked Caroline for point

@NMDD43, just quoting you because you are the most recent person who said this.  Did she really choose Caroline for point?  That was some of the choppiest editing ever. "Caroline" sounded spliced in, like her name was brought up but I'm not necessarily sure she was the ultimate choice.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I was watching a much earlier season where they laid all the photos on the table as each girl was talked about ranking them into groups like we see posted on the computer.  Then at the end, all the judges saw who was being taken to finals or TC.  Kelli would announce to the judges these are the girls...  I liked jay transparency & wish we could go back to it.  I remember in the first 2 hour movie, there was a girl who had done a lot of community service who didn’t seem to be in shape.  It was clear that Kelli had tried to argue about that but had lost to majority vote.  That is something i’d like to see return also.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Did she really choose Caroline for point?  That was some of the choppiest editing ever. "Caroline" sounded spliced in, like her name was brought up but I'm not necessarily sure she was the ultimate choice.

This. I think Kashara would’ve(and did) give multiple recommendations for point, rather than just one. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Monique said:

This. I think Kashara would’ve(and did) give multiple recommendations for point, rather than just one. 

What was the point in showing this scene with Kashara? They chopped the scene up so it looks like she picked someone else, and the person she picked is not the person (people) that Kelli picked. I don't  get what is going on with the show. What exactly are they trying to accomplish with the team this year? What is the direction, or worse yet, who is Kelli trying to make look like a fool?

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

They brought on 3 rookies to show group plus new veterans ..... its funny that the reference is Victoria specifically replaced Jayln ..... Victoria is a stronger dancer this year whether others see or not.  If that is the reference ... then maybe Rachel A out danced Jayln for her spot ...veteran to veteran... just another way to look at it 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, JerseyGirl said:

To me, ever since Victoria step foot on the DCC dance floor s*it has hit the fan and the entire team and management has been one big clusterf*ck.

Seriously, if they just get rid of Victoria and Kelli, that team (and the show) will go back to normal and those who actually have some dance technique will make the team.

I think since another legacy trying out there has been jaded feelings. Cassie left over anger and what looks like a repeat of nepotism .  I happen to be in the minority ... its interesting to see children of former cheerleaders try to keep a tradition going ...

• Love 1
On 9/14/2019 at 11:59 AM, Jazzhands said:

There was an episode (and between On Demand and Pluto TV, they’re all blurring together in my mind, so I don’t know which one) when one of the rookie candidates was cut, and Maddie immediately went to the girl, put herself between the girl and the camera, shielded her while she was getting the goodbye hugs, and shuttled her into an elevator, all the while blocking the girl from the camera.  I was really impressed by that.  I never saw her look at the camera, but she obviously knew where it was the entire time and protected that girl from being made into a spectacle for the viewing audience. I don’t think she’s the best dancer or necessarily has the traditional DCC look, but she displayed the compassion and decency that’s often sadly lacking from this show.  

I think you are thinking of Lindsay B (TCU Grad) from last season. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Erinbridget said:

Rachel W is at the top of my list for point next year, along with Heather (if she comes back), Bridget, or Caroline.

Is Rachel W the former miss usa runner-up or whatever? I hope they DON'T put her at point -- she's pretty and photographs well but OMG, NO personality in her face or dance. Like her or not, Maddie has some sparkle to her face and engages with her eyes. Amy varies her facial expressions and does the dreaded open mouth smile. I know some people aren't fans of Kashara's wink but it at least conveyed some fun and personality! 

Part of why Rachel always takes such good pictures is because every move is a pose. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot there beyond good pictures. Not that I ever would try to have a conversation with her because, well, let's just say her views and mine do NOT align, but I picture a conversation with her being akin to talking to a 2x4. Vapid is the word that comes to mind when I think about her. 

IMO, the person at point needs to convey a sense of fun and enjoyment. I thought Kashara was rock star at this as point. With Rachel W., there just doesn't seem to be a lot of "there" there. Yes she's pretty but no personality shines through and you need that at point. Heather, Bridget, and Caroline deliver on that. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 17
3 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

Vapid is the word that comes to mind when I think about her. 

I don't think vapid, I think "blank."  She may be nothing like that, but I agree that she comes across as not having much personality.

• Love 14
39 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I don't think vapid, I think "blank."  She may be nothing like that, but I agree that she comes across as not having much personality.

Yes, she always has a blank stare with her mouth partially open. It makes her look dumb. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10