Type keyword(s) to search

2019 Auditions, Finals, and Training Camp Spoilers

Drogo
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, pizzaandcatsrlife said:

K&J seem like great people in their normal lives(mom and grandma) but maybe it’s time to get some fresh meat in as directors.  From what Ive read on this board, they seem disconnected from their team and sounds like everyone is intimidated.  That’s a terrible work environment.  

I'm sad to say it, but I agree with this. I like Kelli as a person. I'd love to have a lunch with her. She'd be an interesting and fun friend, and I think she has a good heart. However, the running the DCC as a big business means she has far more responsibilities than a traditional dance team director, and she is stretched way too thin. It's like Kelli got promoted from a regional manager position to a global director. She can't do both jobs, but won't hire a manager to replace her for the day-to-day operations. She still wants to be the face of the group when it comes to the high visibility stuff like CMT, auditions, invitations to special events, etc. Judy also seems too busy being the artistic director to be very engaged with the dancers .

I think what they need is an assistant director. Someone who is hands-on, who runs every rehearsal, who sees what's going on with the team and the captains, who has an open line of communication with every member of the team, who provides the day-to-day leadership, and isn't a peer/bestie to the girls on the team. It seems like what they have instead is a set of group leaders, who change from year to year, along with coaches who step in here and there. It seems like the lack of consistent, dialed-in leadership is what leads to some girls getting an inflated idea of their own power and cliques running the show.

I believe this will change when Kelli eventually starts thinking about retiring. Won't happen anytime soon, but I think she will bring on an assistant director at that time.

• Love 17

I’m team Gina forever because she was completely wonderful to my kids and our family at DCC camp, and she remembered by daughter’s name 4 months later. None of the others did... well Jinelle did but she’s amazing so not surprised! Ha! Anyway, Gina danced like a star during the performances we saw in person and Kelli and Judy love her, sooooo 🤷‍♀️

I will say she could gain a few pounds but still #teamgina 

• Love 24
(edited)
15 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

II'm sad to say it, but I agree with this. I like Kelli as a person. I'd love to have a lunch with her. She'd be an interesting and fun friend, and I think she has a good heart. However, the running the DCC as a big business means she has far more responsibilities than a traditional dance team director, and she is stretched way too thin. It's like Kelli got promoted from a regional manager position to a global director. She can't do both jobs, but won't hire a manager to replace her for the day-to-day operations. She still wants to be the face of the group when it comes to the high visibility stuff like CMT, auditions, invitations to special events, etc. Judy also seems too busy being the artistic director to be very engaged with the dancers .

I think what they need is an assistant director. Someone who is hands-on, who runs every rehearsal, who sees what's going on with the team and the captains, who has an open line of communication with every member of the team, who provides the day-to-day leadership, and isn't a peer/bestie to the girls on the team. It seems like what they have instead is a set of group leaders, who change from year to year, along with coaches who step in here and there. It seems like the lack of consistent, dialed-in leadership is what leads to some girls getting an inflated idea of their own power and cliques running the show.

I believe this will change when Kelli eventually starts thinking about retiring. Won't happen anytime soon, but I think she will bring on an assistant director at that time.

1000 likes for this!!  I have never understood why there was never an AD after Kelli was promoted.  With the popularity of the show, the camps, social media, etc there needs to be a qualified, consistent staff.

Edited by scorpio1031
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, scorpio1031 said:

1000 likes for this!!  I have never understood why there was never an AD after Kelli was promoted.  With the popularity of the show, the camps, social media, etc there needs to be a qualified, consistent staff.

Charlotte is cheap.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

I think this pic of her is much better.  She is stunning!

Either way, she's absolutely stunning. Hopefully her dancing backs her up and she makes the squad and VK doesn't ☺️

• Love 4
(edited)

Kelli probably have staff helping her out. There is no excuse for her to not want to engage with the girls. I personally think the success of the show has went to her head, and she is too driven to prove the DCCs are the best ever in the entertainment field.

Edited by bigskygirl
2 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

I’m team Gina forever because she was completely wonderful to my kids and our family at DCC camp, and she remembered by daughter’s name 4 months later. None of the others did... well Jinelle did but she’s amazing so not surprised! Ha! Anyway, Gina danced like a star during the performances we saw in person and Kelli and Judy love her, sooooo 🤷‍♀️

I will say she could gain a few pounds but still #teamgina 

Thanks for sharing this personal story. Gina has just earned extra points in my book for her kindness to your children, particularly for remembering your daughter's name. That shows a conscientious effort and interest on her part. I've been championing Heather over Gina for Point, but I don't dislike Gina. I don't know anything about her as a person, although now I know something positive from your post. 🙂

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Pau84 said:

It is really bizar to see that only 3 girls are left on the team of this rookie class. 

The years of having a few 5-year girls on the team are gone I think. It's too much of a full-time commitment to give up the rest of your life for 5 years. I know it works well for those that are dance/barre teachers but for anyone with a career, it must be hard to juggle two full time jobs. I think I'd also give it a go for a couple of years and then be done. Unless you're a star dancer and kiss K&J's backside, your position on the team rarely changes.

• Love 6

I don't know how I'd really feel about Gina as point, but I'd just like to say that I'm happy people have for the most part moved on from the S12 "awkward interview" debacle she had. I didn't like it either and remember cringing pretty hard when it happened. But all of that is in the past as far as I'm concerned, and I like that we are now talking about her dancing ability for the most part in regards to the point position, not a scene from a reality TV show.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Lona said:

I don't know how I'd really feel about Gina as point

I am with you.  In fact, I am quite excited by the fact there is no clear front runner.  The discussion on this matter is interesting.

Gina is a special dancer, but her facials are subpar.

Maddie is a great dancer, but looks like a cute little girl with no sizzle.

Heather is sweet and gorgeous and a competent show woman, but is this KaShara 2.0?

Amy is talented and pleasant, but milquetoast.

Triangle positioning will say a lot about K&J’s priorities for the year as the trade offs are substantial this time.

• Love 11
(edited)
13 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

My dislike has nothing to do with her earlier behaviour. She turns me off because of her facials/looks (sorry, she reminds me of Paris Hilton lookswise and that is just a turnoff for me).  But more than that, she is often out of sync with the rest of the team, whether it's because of her "extra" dancing or because everyone else is off, she needs to learn to keep in sync with everyone else.

I agree with this 110%.  I think her head will explode if she gets point and I still think her "supportiveness" is an act.  She is as fake as the day is long. 

Edited by Kayce
  • Love 5

One thing I think about K & J relates to what I learned in my Masters program. As nurses we were bemoaning that when we were short staffed, why didn’t administration whether at the unit level or the hospital level jump in to help us. The professor said do we want them to do all jobs less than well or do we want our leaders to know & do their specific leadership job well? I think K &J are behind the scenes people like a theater director but are not necessarily hands on nor are bosses ever friends with their employees.  It can be a lonely job as they say if you are in a leadership job & want a friend....get a job!

• Love 2

I love that there's no clear point girl frontrunner. There are even a few second-year girls who could be contenders. This should be interesting! With all of the VK-drama and the handfull of open spots this would be a great storyline.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Tulip86 said:

I love that there's no clear point girl frontrunner. There are even a few second-year girls who could be contenders. This should be interesting! With all of the VK-drama and the handfull of open spots this would be a great storyline.

What would be exciting would be if they pick someone out of left field. I love Kash but she came out of nowhere.

• Love 6
(edited)
15 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Mia had the same "extra" style of dance that Gina has, as did Jenna, and both were put at  point (Jenna only temporarily, but her removal wasn't dance related). If they were ok with it then, I would be surprised if they have an issue with Gina's pop. 

I could see Heather as point potentially (I can't really see Maddie), but if I had to guess, I would say that it's Gina's to lose. 

But I don't remember it making them look out of sync or like they were dancing to their own little tune inside their head instead of with the group.

I'm not saying they won't put her at point, she's just not someone I want to see there.

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

But I don't remember it making them look out of sync or like they were dancing to their own little tune inside their head instead of with the group.

I'm not saying they won't put her at point, she's just not someone I want to see there.

My thoughts too....and at least Jenna and Mia had the look for point...Gina does not. 

• Love 6

When Kashara was made point because Jenna was in trouble, was this board surprised by that choice? Just curious if the girls K/J pick are typically no brainers or out of left field?

On 5/21/2019 at 1:30 PM, KatieC said:
20 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

When Kashara was made point because Jenna was in trouble, was this board surprised by that choice? Just curious if the girls K/J pick are typically no brainers or out of left field?

When the board was speculating that summer, Kashara never came up but we also thought Holly or Erica could get it as they were both on the team at the time. 

• Love 2

Team Gina as well! Yes, I hope she tones down her hair this year, but not her dancing -- as so many have said, with a lot of the dances becoming stale and most of us on here being able to perform Thunderstruck from memory I'm hoping she's point and that her example forces the others to become a little extra and lively.

Her original office visit edit of not having made any friends in TC seems as relevant to me as Brennan's office visit regarding why she wanted to be a DCC.  Just manufactured drama.  In Gina's defense, if she really hadn't made any friends, I'd rather face a camera and say that than have to admit to Tina Kalina being my bestie. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Spunkyyy said:

When the board was speculating that summer, Kashara never came up but we also thought Holly or Erica could get it as they were both on the team at the time. 

I thought Lacey. BUT I love and miss KASH as point.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, hannahbanana said:

Understood. I’m certainly not arguing that everyone should like Gina’s style by any means. I like Gina’s dancing, but opinions can vary.  I was just pointing out that, based on the past, the style of dancing doesn’t seem to be a detriment in K&J’s eyes, and given that Gina had the best triangle position of anyone in her class last year, it’s not here either. Its possible that they could prefer someone else’s “looks” in the point position or go for seniority. 

• Love 1

Ladies and gentlemen we are two days away from finals interviews, and three days to finals solos and field routine. I hope we not in for a long drawn out TC like we were last year. I think we need to start stocking up on alcohol (no I do not drink myself,) chocolate, ice cream, popcorn, soft drinks, and a soft pillow in case we get the sudden feeling to beat our heads against the wall or our computer keyboard.

Just now, bigskygirl said:

Ladies and gentlemen we are two days away from finals interviews, and three days to finals solos and field routine. I hope we not in for a long drawn out TC like we were last year. I think we need to start stocking up on alcohol (no I do not drink myself,) chocolate, ice cream, popcorn, soft drinks, and a soft pillow in case we get the sudden feeling to beat our heads against the wall or our computer keyboard.

I'm gonna need something stronger for the VK & Malena shit show 😉

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Understood. I’m certainly not arguing that everyone should like Gina’s style by any means. I like Gina’s dancing, but opinions can vary.  I was just pointing out that, based on the past, the style of dancing doesn’t seem to be a detriment in K&J’s eyes, and given that Gina had the best triangle position of anyone in her class last year, it’s not here either. Its possible that they could prefer someone else’s “looks” in the point position or go for seniority. 

In Season 5, three year vet Crystal Trevino was made point girl. I think she did okay as point girl, but some people felt point girl should have went to a girl who was on the squad longer than three years.

2 minutes ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

You said it more eloquently than I could, I was going to say Gina has a face for Radio, they didn’t 😂.

Gina doesn't look like the girl next door. She looks like the blow up doll that's hidden in the closet.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Kayce said:

I still think her "supportiveness" is an act.  She is as fake as the day is long. 

This is how I feel about VK, and she's never even made the squad!

1 hour ago, PattiD4DCC said:

Her original office visit edit of not having made any friends in TC seems as relevant to me as Brennan's office visit regarding why she wanted to be a DCC.  Just manufactured drama. 

It is hard to tell what the girls are really like by one office visit.  And it might have been hard for Gina since she was from out of state and didn't know anyone.  What with her scene, Brennan's and Ashley Pro's, I can see why girls are hesitant to try out.  You run the risk of being presented in a whole different way and the audience seeing that.  Audience meaning friends, family and possible future employers.

• Love 3
(edited)
35 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

This is how I feel about VK, and she's never even made the squad!

It is hard to tell what the girls are really like by one office visit.  And it might have been hard for Gina since she was from out of state and didn't know anyone.  What with her scene, Brennan's and Ashley Pro's, I can see why girls are hesitant to try out.  You run the risk of being presented in a whole different way and the audience seeing that.  Audience meaning friends, family and possible future employers.

I see your point of view, but I have watched a few podcasts with Gina talking, and the way she talks gets on my nerves a little. She is not the first and only DCC who acts and talks a certain way in a podcast leading me to roll my eyes and slap my forehead while I am thinking why am I am listening to this. I do think she is better than Shannon and Courtney and could do the podcast with her and another DCC leading the discussion.

Edited by bigskygirl
3 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I see your point of view, but I have watched a few podcasts with Gina talking, and the way she talks gets on my nerves a little. She is not the first and only DCC who acts and talks a certain way in a podcast leading me to roll my eyes and slap my forehead while I am thinking why am I am listening to this. I do think she is better than Shannon and Courtney and could do the podcast with her and another DCC leading the discussion.

I think Gina is a smart woman who acts dumb and cutesy to appeal to the male audience, or what Kelli and Charlotte thinks is appealing. If she looked and acted more natural, I would cut her some slack.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, BringItOn said:

I think Gina is a smart woman who acts dumb and cutesy to appeal to the male audience, or what Kelli and Charlotte thinks is appealing. If she looked and acted more natural, I would cut her some slack.

If Kelli and Charlotte think it is appealing than they both are more stupid than a big bag of stupid.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

Couple of days ago I watched an episode from last season.  If CMT editing had not so profoundly featured Victoria on EVERY episode, I believe most would have a different opinion of her.  She really is quite attractive with a very outgoing personality that would fit DCC.

Please don't burn me at the stake now!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
Just now, parrotfeathers said:

Couple of days ago I watched an episode from last season.  If CMT editing had not so profoundly featured Victoria on EVERY episode, I believe most would have a different opinion of her.  She really is quite attractive with a very outgoing personality that would fit DCC.

NEIGGHHH!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I wasn’t impressed with Jenna at point precisely because she was out of sync with the rest. And it was pointed out to her on the show as well, I think it was the same choreo where we saw her at point for the first time and she did finish some moved earlier than the rest etc. And she was much cuter,so no I don’t want Paris Hilton at point. I won’t comment on her personality because while she does seem fake to me, we have no way of knowing. But I’ve never held against her the fact that she had no friends on the squad. You can’t edit her saying something she hasn’t said though, so she absolutely felt she was the best and correcting others while pointing out mistakes that weren’t actually mistakes... And that tells me more than the lack of friendships.

Also, I know we felt Kashara was a random choice, but I think she was part of the original triangle? At least out of the returning vets, I think it was Jenna at point, Kashara and Lacey next to her and Holly behind point. They definitely tested her for a good position. I think Holly A. was completely surprising?

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I think the truth of what was going on behind closed doors made us what to grab the pitchforks and storm DCC Land when it came to VK, but the way CMT focus too much on her did play a factor.

2 hours ago, PattiD4DCC said:

In Gina's defense, if she really hadn't made any friends, I'd rather face a camera and say that than have to admit to Tina Kalina being my bestie. 

Now THIS made me laugh!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

or towels to cover our keyboards for all of the times we snort or spit our drinks all over the keyboards 😉 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

I think Holly A. was completely surprising

Yes, cause it was Emma in the triangle with Mia and Jackie the previous year, right?  I thought both Holly and Emma were great dancers.

• Love 3