Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

SA and EBR are both voting options (one vote per person per poll)...

2017 Reader's Choice Performer of the Year - Most Outstanding Actor & Actress Voting
Posted by Aimee Hicks at January 16, 2018
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/01/2017-readers-choice-performer-of-year.html

This first stage will end at 6 pm ET on Wednesday, January 17th. The final round will begin on Thursday, January 18th at 6 pm ET and last through until Saturday, January 20th at 6 pm. 

Edited by tv echo

Throy (Rop Harper / Thea Queen, Arrow) – Let’s face it – this was never a ‘ship name that quite rolled off the tongue; it also hasn’t existed on Arrow in a while, but with Colton Haynes returning later this season it seems as though there’s a very good chance this ‘ship could soon emerge once again.

Since when was their ship name Throy?  Isn't it Theroy as in Thea plus Roy equals thee-roy?  That one does roll off the tongue quite nicely.  Throy is just weird. 

• Love 4

GB received the Brandon Tartikoff Legacy Award last night during the NATPE Miami Marketplace & Conference...

Jane Fonda, Tom Selleck, Greg Berlanti Get Emotional at Tartikoff Awards
By Cynthia Littleton   JANUARY 17, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/jane-fonda-tom-selleck-greg-berlanti-1202667669/

MIAMI — Tom Selleck quoted Edna St. Vincent Millay. Jane Fonda thanked Ted Sarandos for giving her a new chapter of her storied career. Greg Berlanti thanked Tom Selleck for making short-shorts cool for men.

The 15th annual Brandon Tartikoff Legacy Awards ceremony, held Wednesday night at the Fontainebleau Hotel as part of the NATPE conference, was an emotional affair for the five honorees. In addition to Fonda, Selleck, and Berlanti, the recipients included Cesar Conde, chairman of NBCUniversal International and NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises, and Kevin Reilly, president of TNT and TBS and chief creative officer of Turner.

The awards recognize executives and personalities who have made significant contributions to the industry.
Warner Bros. TV Group president Peter Roth made the trek from Los Angeles to present the award to Berlanti. He noted the similarities between Tartikoff and the uber-producer behind CW’s “The Flash,” “Arrow,” “Supergirl,” NBC’s “Blindspot” and other TV shows and director of films including the upcoming “Love, Simon.” Berlanti and Tartikoff both qualify as “visionaries, ferocious competitors and passionate advocates for the best television has to offer,” Roth said.

Berlanti choked up as he pointed to his father in the audience and spoke of the loss of his mother last year to cancer. He said Tartikoff was the first network executive’s name he ever learned as a kid. Berlanti began his career as a TV writer in 1997, the same year Tartikoff died. On a lighter note, he also had a thank-you for Selleck and his “Magnum P.I.” legacy.

“As a closeted gay kid growing up in the ’80s I’d like to thank you for popularizing men wearing short shorts,” he said.

tartikoff.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1 

Edited by tv echo

Tom Selleck quoted Edna St. Vincent Millay.

Getting flashbacks to the year I was on the speech team and every Saturday went to all day meets at other schools where up to 3 times, I could be randomly assigned 2-3 of her poems at a time out her collective works an hour before it was time to extemporaneously deliver the speech.  Here was her shortest and therefore my favorite poem.

First Fig

My candle burns at both ends;

It will not last the night;

But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends— It gives a lovely light!

• Love 3

The 6 Best Fan-Made Ships of this Decade
Carlos Rivera  January 19, 2018
http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/best-fan-made-ships

Character A meets with Character B, something happens, and they are so close they could kiss (or more). The situation repeats over and over but nothing ever happens and you want to bang your head against a wall. Has this ever happened to you? Welcome to the world of shippers. While there are as many ships as there are characters in TV shows, some pairings are more well-known than others. So, let’s take a look at some of the most famous fan-made pairings in TV.
OLIVER + FELICITY = OLICITY (ARROW)
The Arrowverse have LOTS of ships that combine almost every character from that universe. The superhero Oliver Queen and the genius Felicity Smoak form one of the first and most popular pairings.

This couple became so popular that writers decided to make it canon in Seasons 3 and 4, although briefly. Yet fans reacted poorly to the toxic, self-sabotaging way it played out in those seasons, and the pair broke up.

After the Season 5 finale, a lot of speculation regarding Olicity surfaced online. Reaching its peak with the mega-crossover event Crisis on Earth X where Oliver and Felicity finally said: “I do”.

STILES + DEREK = STEREK (TEEN WOLF)
DEAN + CASTIEL = DESTIEL (SUPERNATURAL)
JON + DAENERYS = JONERYS (GAME OF THRONES)
ARCHIE + VERONICA = VARCHIE / ARCHIE + BETTY = BARCHIE (RIVERDALE)
KORRA + ASAMI = KORRASAMI (THE LEGEND OF KORRA)

Edited by tv echo
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

The 6 Best Fan-Made Ships of this Decade
Carlos Rivera  January 19, 2018
http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/best-fan-made-ships

STILES + DEREK = STEREK (TEEN WOLF)
DEAN + CASTIEL = DESTIEL (SUPERNATURAL)
JON + DAENERYS = JONERYS (GAME OF THRONES)
ARCHIE + VERONICA = VARCHIE / ARCHIE + BETTY = BARCHIE (RIVERDALE)
KORRA + ASAMI = KORRASAMI (THE LEGEND OF KORRA)

Whatever Carlos. They just love to keep pushing their universally hated and toxic narrative. Confirmation bias, if I say it enough times maybe people will believe it's true. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, tv echo said:

This couple became so popular that writers decided to make it canon in Seasons 3 and 4, although briefly. Yet fans reacted poorly to the toxic, self-sabotaging way it played out in those seasons, and the pair broke up.

After the Season 5 finale, a lot of speculation regarding Olicity surfaced online. Reaching its peak with the mega-crossover event Crisis on Earth X where Oliver and Felicity finally said: “I do”.

So first off, they claim it's strickly a fan-made pairing instead of the show runners running with what they saw, ignoring all the moves to get them closer deliberately written in season two (not to mention the obvious teases added in season one) then they claim they were only canon briefly and that fans found them toxic those two years, implying they were happy to see a break up (nay, demanded one, lol) and apparently just had some random desire to see them back together after season five?  And they try to bury the lead where they get married, not even mentioning them reunited before that.  Reading this you'd think exactly what the Reddit stans think, including that the marriage came totally out of the blue. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

So first off, they claim it's strickly a fan-made pairing instead of the show runners running with what they saw, ignoring all the moves to get them closer deliberately written in season two (not to mention the obvious teases added in season one) then they claim they were only canon briefly and that fans found them toxic those two years, implying they were happy to see a break up (nay, demanded one, lol) and apparently just had some random desire to see them back together after season five?  And they try to bury the lead where they get married, not even mentioning them reunited before that.  Reading this you'd think exactly what the Reddit stans think, including that the marriage came totally out of the blue. 

You broke it down perfectly. Carlos dude probably doesn't even watch Arrow but has formed his opinion about the couple from others very limited opinions of the couple- plus he linked to a comic book.com article so says it all really. 

• Love 1

I thought the article was weird because its titled "The 6 Best Fan-Made Ships of this Decade," but then the content of the article itself is so anti-Olicity. 

Edited by tv echo

Me thinks he's a bit confused about what "fanmade" means.

Even if you want to argue Olicity got together because of fan popularity, which we know isn't true, isn't Veronica/Archie/Betty a "comic canon" love triangle? And for GOT the book hasn't even come out yet and the Jon/Dany scenes were filmed long before any fans saw them together. The thing is, "fanmade" isn't an insult, it implies so popular demand for a couple forced producers to change their plans and if other couples had worked better they wouldn't have had to. 

3 hours ago, tv echo said:

I thought the article was weird because its titled "The 6 Best Fan-Made Ships of this Decade," but then the content of the article itself is so anti-Olicity. 

That is such a weird article. Like the only ship there that is canon is Olicity but the writer acts like it was just fan service for them to be married.

Meanwhile, I'm just over here, waiting for my canon  Destiel :( . I am jealous of the other ones LOLtenor.gif

Quotes of the Week for Jan. 14, 2018
By Team TVLine / January 21 2018
http://tvline.com/gallery/riverdale-fascist-barbie-best-tv-quotes/#!14/arrow-bed-with-bertinellis-quote/

ARROW
“We’re getting in bed with the Bertinellis now?”

“I remember the last time you got in bed with one of the Bertinellis. It did not work out well. [Off Oliver’s look] I have a long memory for these sorts of things, call me crazy.”

Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) can’t forget her hubby’s past couplings

Edited by tv echo

While searching for other stuff, I stumbled across this old 2013 article by Maureen Ryan, which I had never seen before, so I'm posting it here...

Best Overlooked TV Actors 2013
By Maureen Ryan   DEC. 31, 2013
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/tv_club/features/2013/the_year_in_tv/best_overlooked_tv_actors_2013_julie_white_emily_bett_rickards_rick_hoffman.html

Best dame in a comic-book chronicle: The wonderfully versatile Emily Bett Rickards as Felicity Smoak in Arrow. She's not just the token girl in the superhero story, and though she's funny and endearingly awkward, she's not just the comic relief either. Felicity is a multidimensional woman who's equally good at tech-genius stuff and accessorizing (her clothes and earrings are to die for, seriously). And though she has crackling chemistry with the show's lead, Felicity's own well-developed sense of morality keeps her at arm's length from the guy with the bow and arrow, even though she's got his back in every important way. Rickards' character both humanizes the show and keeps alive the idea that the Arrow's definition of justice is by no means a settled thing.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 6:28 PM, LeighAn said:

Whatever Carlos. They just love to keep pushing their universally hated and toxic narrative. Confirmation bias, if I say it enough times maybe people will believe it's true. 

And unrelated how is Barchie and Varchie on this list when the likely more popular Bughead isn't?

6 hours ago, tv echo said:

While searching for other stuff, I stumbled across this old 2013 article by Maureen Ryan, which I had never seen before, so I'm posting it here...

Best Overlooked TV Actors 2013
By Maureen Ryan   DEC. 31, 2013
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/tv_club/features/2013/the_year_in_tv/best_overlooked_tv_actors_2013_julie_white_emily_bett_rickards_rick_hoffman.html

I remember back in S2 Mo Ryan and Alan Sepinwall were talking about/hoping for a Golden Globe nomination for Emily, though they both admitted it was almost impossible for genre shows.

Performer of the Week: Darren Criss
By Team TVLine / January 27 2018, 7:10 AM PST
http://tvline.com/2018/01/27/darren-criss-performance-versace-american-crime-story-andrew/

HONORABLE MENTION | Since her and Oliver’s impromptu wedding, Arrow hadn’t really given us Felicity as supportive wife/new stepmom, but Emily Bett Rickards made the wait very well worth it this week, as a crestfallen William needed parental guidance. As Felicity counseled Oliver, by pointing out that all she ever wanted from her (evil hacktivist) father was “the truth,” Rickards — with warm looks and her physicality — communicated the deepest connection ever between the newlyweds. And then there was her wonderful (and convincing) monologue, as Felicity and William eavesdropped on a Team Arrow op. “This is what [Oliver] does best — and nobody does it better,” Felicity explained. “So you can worry about your dad, but you have to believe that he’s going to be OK. Because that’s the only way this works.” And Felicity would know.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 13

I found some more 'Best of 2017' lists - this time from Tell-Tale TV...

18 Inspiring TV Heroes of 2017
December 16, 2017  Charles E Henning
https://www.telltaletv.com/2017/12/top-tv-heroes-of-2017/3/

13. Oliver Queen/Green Arrow (Arrow)
Over the past several seasons of Arrow, Oliver Queen has proven himself to be the best vigilante on the block. Saving his city and the world from the likes of space aliens, a magic-wielding business man, and even blood thirsty Nazis is just scratching the surface.

When the mother of his child dies in an explosion, Oliver does the unexpected. He hands over the mantle of Green Arrow to his best friend and confidant, John Diggle.

He understands that being a hero starts at home, with the ones who need you most.

24 Favorite TV Couples from 2017
December 17, 2017  Samantha Coley
https://www.telltaletv.com/2017/12/24-favorite-tv-couples-from-2017/4/

18. Oliver and Felicity (Arrow)
2017 was the year of reunion and growth for Oliver and Felicity.

From rebuilding trust to being more open with each other when it comes to dealing with everything from Helix and Prometheus to William and their relationship, it made their reunion, wedding, and celebration that much sweeter to see as they head into 2018 stronger than ever.

21 Memorable TV Moments from 2017
December 28, 2017  Tell-Tale TV
https://www.telltaletv.com/2017/12/21-memorable-tv-moments-from-2017/

2. Prometheus Admits Defeat (Arrow)
My most memorable TV moment of 2017 comes from the Arrow Season 5 finale. Prometheus has Team Arrow trapped on an island laced with explosives. Better yet, the detonator is connected to his lifeline, so if he dies they all die. Oliver Queen, in full costume, swoops in and corners Prometheus on a boat setting sail. He quickly admits defeat and hands Oliver’s son back over to him.

There is but a moment to rejoice when we see Prometheus pull out a gun. He gives the typical villian speech before he points the gun to his own head. There is nothing Oliver can do but watch as he pulls the trigger, killing himself and setting the island up in flames. This is truly the best cliffhanger I have seen in years.

– Charles Henning

28 Unforgettable TV Lines of 2017
December 29, 2017  Brianna Martinez
https://www.telltaletv.com/2017/12/28-unforgettable-tv-lines-of-2017/

6. Arrow
“You, me, Felicity. We make each other better.” – John Diggle (to Oliver Queen)
13. Arrow
“Hey, pumpkin…” – Felicity Smoak
Arrow-Hey-Pumpkin-Tumblr.gif?resize=500,

21. Legends of Tomorrow
“Nothing matters except that I love you. Okay? ” – Oliver Queen (to Felicity)
Legends-of-Tomorrow-Oliver-to-Felicity-C

25. Arrow
“Takes one to know one, sweetheart.” – Dinah Drake

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8

Arrow-Felicity's scene is currently in 1st place...

Scene Of The Week - January 28, 2018 + POLL
Posted by Justyna Kubica at January 28, 2018 
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/01/scene-of-week-january-28-2018-poll.html

ARROW, "We Fall", January 25, 2018, Actors: Emily Bett Rickards, Jack Moore, Stephen Amell and more, The Scene: Felicity's speech
Justyna:
I haven't been a regular viewer of the show for a while now but I was very happy to watch this episode yesterday. I thought it might be one of the best of the season and the big part of it was William's interactions with Oliver and Felicity. Though it's clear he wasn't okay with his dad being the Green Arrow before, during this hour he learned a great deal about Oliver's other life and just how important it is. The most significant and memorable scene of the episode for me has to be Felicity's speech when she tells William her story about Oliver and Green Arrow while they (and the viewers) watch the fight between Team Arrow and Cayden James' men. The simple truth is that heroes don't always survive but what they're doing, protecting those who can't protect themselves, means the world to so many that it is worth being worried and supportive of them in their mission. I loved that while it was emotional, the scene was never too much. The speech perfectly matched the fight and the words only highlighted what the heroes were trying to achieve. Wonderful work by Emily Bett Rickards and the crew. In the end, William truly understands his father's choice and while it's a bittersweet realization, it signifies an important change for the characters. Kudos to cast & crew for great work on the episode.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Felicity Smoak is #3 on this WatchMojo list...

Top 10 Hottest Female Nerds in TV
Published on Jan 27, 2018, by WatchMojo.com

-- WatchMojo: "Number 3. Felicity Smoak. Arrow. Only in TV land could an actress as beautiful as Emily Bett Rickards play a nerd. Since 2012, the talented Canadian has played Felicity Smoak, an IT expert and love interest to the show's protagonist, Oliver Queen... Smoak's resume reads like a 'What's What' of things only the smartest people in the world have accomplished, as she holds a master's degree in cyber security and computer sciences from M.I.T., and at the age of 19, came second in a national competition that tested participants' information technology skills... So yeah, she's pretty smart. While she might think she's hiding her insanely good looks behind those glasses, it's easy to see that Felicity is an absolute knockout."

10 - Jemma Simmons, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD
9 - Charlie Bradbury, Supernatural
8 - Abby Sciuto, NCIS
7 - Dana Scully, The X-Files
6 - Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black
5 - Bernadette Rostenkowski, The Big Bang Theory
4 - Liz Lemon, 30 Rock
3 - Felicity Smoak, Arrow
2 - Annie Edison, Community
1 - Jessica 'Jess' Day, New Girl

Honorable Mentions: 
Dr. Camille Saroyan, Bones
Chloe Sullivan, Smallville
Kaylee Frye, Firefly

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Here we go again - Oliver & Felicity are up against Wynonna & Doc in Round 2...

TV's Top Couple 2018: Vote in Round 2 Now!
by TV SCOOP TEAM | Fri., Feb. 2, 2018 
http://www.eonline.com/news/911112/tv-s-top-couple-2018-vote-in-round-2-now

Today's round features the 32 competitors who got the most votes in the first round, but now they're each going head to head with another couple. Only one couple can come out of each fight alive, so make those votes happen, people! Don't let your ship sink! Don't let them lose out on that winner's post at the end of this! Go for that gold!
Once again, this poll closes Sunday, February 4 at 5 p.m. PT. 

Edited by tv echo
29 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Wasn't E! Online the first site to write about how Oliver & Felicity were the rudest wedding guests ever? They're not getting any clicks from me.

I think that this motivates me to make it as far as possible with Olicity :) Show them who really is boss ;)

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

C'mon, let's be realistic, WA win a tournament? :P

They got pretty far last year. If there's anything I know about fandom and polls, it's that outrage, justified or not, fuels voting. And the WA fans are still rehashing how much the crossover disrespected them. 

1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

They got pretty far last year. If there's anything I know about fandom and polls, it's that outrage, justified or not, fuels voting. And the WA fans are still rehashing how much the crossover disrespected them. 

Too true. 

4 hours ago, WindofChange said:

I think that this motivates me to make it as far as possible with Olicity :) Show them who really is boss ;)

They are up against Wynnona Erp though.  EVERYTIME they've been in a poll with them in the last year Olicity starts out WAAAAAY ahead and then magically that fandom starts moving ahead at rates of like a tenth of a point every few minutes until some goal seems to be reached. Am I claiming hacking or bots?  Hell yes.  

So right now it's 73% for Olicity but just you wait.  I hope I'm wrong.  

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Good for them, but I honestly remember those episodes as boring. I haven't rewatched them since the original airing, so there may be nuances I've forgotten.

On my rewatch of the Slade episodes I actually found Dinah more compelling than Slade so make what you will of that, lol.  

22 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

They are up against Wynnona Erp though.  EVERYTIME they've been in a poll with them in the last year Olicity starts out WAAAAAY ahead and then magically that fandom starts moving ahead at rates of like a tenth of a point every few minutes until some goal seems to be reached. Am I claiming hacking or bots?  Hell yes.  

So right now it's 73% for Olicity but just you wait.  I hope I'm wrong.  

I've sometimes wondered whether these sites have a winner "pre-chosen", and whether there's some behind the scenes help to make the winner be whoever they want to spotlight.

But that might be the cynic in me talking.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I've sometimes wondered whether these sites have a winner "pre-chosen", and whether there's some behind the scenes help to make the winner be whoever they want to spotlight.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. 

Isnt this the same site that didn’t put Olicity for sexiest moment but put hand holding or a face touch from another show for one of its polls? 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Only down to a 67% lead so maybe this time the fix isn't in?  Well, at least not yet.  It's early days in the tournament.  The really crazy voting stuff didn't happen last time on this site until the final four if I remember.  

5 hours ago, tv echo said:

In case you're wondering, CG put Arrow (and its actors) in the Action or Drama categories, but put Flash, LoT and Supergirl (and their actors) in the Sci-Fi or Fantasy categories...

? Can't let Arrow even have a chance at beating The Flash, lol.  

• Love 2

Oliver & Felicity made it to Round 3 (which will begin this Friday), but FYI...

TV's Top Couple 2018: Vote in Round 2.5 Now
by TV SCOOP TEAM | Mon., Feb. 5, 2018 12:00 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/911580/tv-s-top-couple-2018-vote-in-round-2-5-now

Dear friends, we have made a mistake. 

You all just finished voting in what was supposed to be the top 32 of TV's Top Couple 2018, but in reality it was only the top 30. Two couples were unfairly missing from the poll. One is a groundbreaking romance between a Muslim artist and a social media manager. The other is a questionable coupling of an aunt and her secret nephew. Both are incredibly important and not to be forgotten when considering TV's most important romances. 

Sorry, we're humans and sometimes we mess up a little bit, but here we are to try and make amends. 

To make sure things are fair for Kat, Adena, Jon, and Daenerys, we've opened what we are referring to as round 2.5. You will have until Wednesday to vote in this poll, and then the actual third round (Sweet 16!) begins on Friday at noon PT. That means if you're not into Game of Thrones or The Bold Type (which you should be), you get a few days off! Use them wisely! 

The couples competing in Round 3 will include the winner of this poll along with Arrow's Oliver and Felicity, Shadowhunters' Magnus and Alec, Riverdale's Betty and Jughead and Veronica and Archie, Supergirl's Alex and Maggie and Kara and Mon-El, The X-Files' Mulder and Scully, Wynonna Earp's Waverly and Nicole, Outlander's Jamie and Claire and Roger and Brianna, The Flash's Barry and Iris, The Originals' Hayley and Elijah, Sense8's Kala and Wolfgang and Lito and Hernando, and Hilal and Leon from the Turkish series Wounded Love. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Grrr I hate all the effort that goes into voting! 

Wasn't there some society where you can pay a fee and they give your favourite actor an award?

The captcha is not asking me for street signs and the like! Does this mean my votes are not counting?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

The captcha is not asking me for street signs and the like! Does this mean my votes are not counting?

The captcha won't ask with street signs the first couple times you vote, but they should start after 10-15 votes.

Re: antivoting-- guess which ship that holds a grudge against Olicity got a little known opponent this round and has a big lead that frees them up to antivote?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, lemotomato said:

The captcha won't ask with street signs the first couple times you vote, but they should start after 10-15 votes.

Re: antivoting-- guess which ship that holds a grudge against Olicity got a little known opponent this round and has a big lead that frees them up to antivote?

Yep that's who I pick being behind it. And they are generally the bitter fandom who would waste time in doing so. 

25 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

When is this poll ending???

Instead of editing fanfic I am stuck voting for Olicity because if there is one thing that'll motivate me to vote, it's knowing that others are anti voting! 

Olicity is at 57.5 right now. I think it's a good enough lead to hold for the 2 hours left, so it's safe for you to go edit your fic!