Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

It's still an amazing achievement that EBR made it to the Final 4 round of the Girl on Top competition (out of the original 64 actors). She's the only DC TV actor to make it this far (Melissa Benoist, Candice Patton, Danielle Panabaker, Caity Lotz, Katie Cassidy, etc., were all eliminated in earlier rounds).  Even past strong contenders like Outlander's Caitriona Balfe and OUaT's Lana Parrilla & Jennifer Morrison were eliminated in earlier rounds. So give yourself credit for that accomplishment.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

LOL this isn't even a surprise. Riverdale is the darling of the CW right now, which baffles me but there it is.

Didn't' someone call it right at the start of the "contest"?

It gets acclaim for the cinematography and its noir feel and I admit, that's what's sucked me in even while I laugh at the turned up to 11 reactions to DRAMA! even when it's only teen age angst stuff.  But very prettily filmed.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Final poll category in GATV Awards (I voted for the 520 stunt with Diggle helping Oliver & Felicity escape in the elevator shaft)...

2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick The Best Stunt/Action/Fight Sequence of Arrow Season 5
September 15, 2017 
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/2017-greenarrowtv-awards-pick-the-best-stuntactionfight-sequence-of-arrow-season-5/

Voting in the annual GreenArrowTV Awards – honoring the best and not-so-best of the most recent Arrow season — is just about finished, with this being the final category in this year’s voting.
Also be aware we are closing voting in past categories this week as we prepare to reveal all of the “winners” next week. Thanks as always for participating!

Edited by tv echo

Yeah, the OTA ladder stunt was an easy choice for me.  I think it was the only stunt in the entire year that I was actually worried about the outcome while watching it.  And it was such a refreshing change from what we normally get.  They really need to mix it up more.  Just fighting is really dull. 

• Love 8

GreenArrowTV has posted the results of its awards:

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/2017-greenarrowtv-awards-the-results-are-in/

Best Episode: "Underneath"

Worst Episode: "Underneath"

Best Actor (Male): Stephen Amell

Best Actor (Female): Emily Bett Rickards

Best Guest Star With 3 Or More Episodes: Katie Cassidy

Best Guest Star With 1 or 2 Episodes: Manu Bennett

Favorite Writer: Wendy Mericle

Favorite Director: Wendey Stanzler

Best Villain: Adrian Chase/Prometheus

Favorite Character: Felicity Smoak/Overwatch

Least Favorite Character: Susan Williams

Biggest Shocker: Oliver and Felicity totally had flashback sex AND Explosions rock Lian Yu (tie)

Best Action Sequence: Diggle Helps Oliver & Felicity Escape In The Elevator Shaft

Best Interaction: Oliver and Felicity (Olicity)

I found even the mention of Olicity in the blurb about Susan completely unnecessary. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I found even the mention of Olicity in the blurb about Susan completely unnecessary. 

LMAO. Does he not realize how bitter he sounds by saying stuff like that? Maybe Susan won because she was genuinely a waste of time? Geez.  ?

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

LMAO. Does he realize how bitter he sounds by saying stuff like that? Maybe Susan won because she was genuinely a waste of time? Geez.  ?

He's not bitter it's all those mean Olicity Shippers claiming he's BIASED! If it wasn't for those big meanies slandering him at every turn.... ???

• Love 2

I'm amused by Craig's salty writeups, so I thought I'd repost some here:

Worst Episode: “Underneath”

Remember how it was mentioned that people had drastically different reactions to Arrow Season 5? This is a perfect example, as folks who were not on board for an hour of “Olicity interaction” made their opinions known by voting against the episode. While not nearly as high of a percentage as the people who liked “Underneath,” 29% still picked it as Worst Episode of Season 5.

Likewise, though “Invasion!” came in as #4 on the favorites list, 20% picked Arrow’s 100th as the Worst Episode. Whether it’s because of aliens, or dislike of a particular character, it just wasn’t happening for those people.

The gun control-related “Spectre of the Gun” was #3 in this category with 16%.

Previous winners: (Season 1) “The Huntress Returns” – (Season 2) “Birds of Prey” – (Season 3) “Canaries”  – (Season 4) “Canary Cry”

The worst episode blurb included a picture of Oliver and Laurel in her wedding dress from the 100th episode. I'm guessing that's who he's referring to when he says "dislike of a particular character".

Best Guest Star With 3 Or More Episodes: Katie Cassidy

If ever there was a chance to let Katie Cassidy know she’s been missed (and, she will be back for Season 6 as a series regular!)… Arrow’s original leading lady returned to the show several times in Season 5, including as Laurel in the series’ 100th episode alien dream state and, of course, as the villainous Black Siren of Earth-2. 25% of voters picked her as their favorite.

Joe Dinicol (Rory Regan/Ragman) came in second place with 18% showing himself as the favorite of the new recruits. Juliana Harkavy came in third (14%) with David Nykl (Anatoly) not far behind. Previous winner in this category John Barrowman came in fifth place with 9%.

Previous winners: (Season 1) John Barrowman – (Season 2) Caity Lotz – (Season 3) Charlotte Ross – (Season 4) Echo Kellum

Favorite Character: Felicity Smoak/Overwatch

Felicity Smoak takes the #1 spot for the fourth year in a row! Nearly 50% of those who voted picked Emily Bett Rickards’ character as their favorite… always interesting, considering she was a character that might have only ended up with only one appearance back in the day, before it was realized that she was a vital ingredient in what makes Arrow, Arrow.

Oliver Queen came in second with 19% and at #3 was Adrian Chase with 12%.

Previous winners: (Season 1) Malcolm Merlyn – (Season 2) Felicity Smoak – (Season 3) Felicity Smoak – (Season 4) Felicity Smoak

Least Favorite Character: Susan Williams

There was once a TV show called Stop Susan Williams! Apparently that was a rallying call predicting reactions to Arrow Season 5, because despite nothing wrong with Carly Pope’s performance, 32% of the vote went against the character, showing you probably shouldn’t get in the way of “Olicity,” most likely.

(Billy Malone fared better, but the poor guy died, so he still got the worse deal.)

Coming in second place for Least Favorite Character was Felicity Smoak (25%) and third place went to Laurel Lance/Black Siren with 12%.

Previous winners: (Season 1) Helena Bertinelli – (Season 2) Laurel Lance – (Season 3) Laurel Lance – (Season 4) Felicity Smoak

No one ever votes for worst character because of the actor's performance, Craig. They get voted worst because people don't like the character. 

• Love 3

IDK why the guy doesn't just post the results, keep it simple. Because whatever he says he always sounds either bitter or biased in some way. Every single time. Get over it, Craig.

(Also, I actually think there was a problem with CP's performance tbh but maybe that's just me.)

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I'm amused by Craig's salty writeups, so I thought I'd repost some here:

The worst episode blurb included a picture of Oliver and Laurel in her wedding dress from the 100th episode. I'm guessing that's who he's referring to when he says "dislike of a particular character".

No one ever votes for worst character because of the actor's performance, Craig. They get voted worst because people don't like the character. 

Yeah, of course it was aliens or "dislike of a particular character," not that the 100th episode wasn't a love letter to the previous 99 episodes but a love letter to what the show stopped being in season 1 and characters from another show were showcased over the series regulars.

And I didn't like Susan from her first episode. Before she even met Oliver. 

4 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

(Also, I actually think there was a problem with CP's performance tbh but maybe that's just me.)

I don't think CP's performance was the best (and I haven't seen her in much else to judge her as an actress), but for all we know, we can blame that on her being as confused as everyone else on the stark difference between what we saw on screen (SO SHADY) and what they kept telling us about her character (good person/reporter). 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

IDK why the guy doesn't just post the results, keep it simple. Because whatever he says he always sounds either bitter or biased in some way. Every single time. Get over it, Craig.

That's kind of what he did for the Best Interaction category. "Olicity wins, OTA in second." He didn't even bother, lol.

Best Interaction: Oliver and Felicity (Olicity)

Because there were a few selections that involved more than one character, we retired the term “Best Pairing” this year in favor of “Best Interaction,” but it ultimately didn’t matter as a pairing still won, and that would be “Olicity” (Oliver and Felicity) with 66% of the vote.

The “Original Team Arrow” interaction of Oliver/Diggle/Felicity came in second place with 9%, and the interaction between Oliver & Adrian Chase came in #3 with 7%.

Previous winners: (Season 1) “Olicity” – (Season 2) “Olicity” — (Season 3) “Olicity” — (Season 4) “Olicity”

• Love 1
1 hour ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Susan would still have been a terrible character if Felicity had been a one episode bit player. She was so bad that I didn't even want Olicity back because of how stupid she made Oliver look and thought Felicity was better off without him. As for CP, the writing was doing her no favors but I think Susan was a very one note performance. 

30 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I don't think CP's performance was the best (and I haven't seen her in much else to judge her as an actress), but for all we know, we can blame that on her being as confused as everyone else on the stark difference between what we saw on screen (SO SHADY) and what they kept telling us about her character (good person/reporter). 

This is true, to be fair to CP, we don't know what the writers were telling her about her character or whether it even changed through the course of the season. It's sort of like the flip flopping with Isabel Rochev. Ultimately, I think the best way to judge a character is their effect on the storyline and she could have lifted right out of the season with no impact. That is why she failed. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 2

Yeah, Susan made Oliver awful (aside from his weird issue with Thea regarding discrediting Susan, he trusted her to not expose him as GA even though she flat-out told him she would), but even outside of that she was a reporter and the most we ever saw of her "doing her job" consisted of flirting with Oliver and trying to get him to ask her out. She wasn't around when any big things happened (like Chase getting outed, or the mass shooting or any other thing). Useless. 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Oh, wow, I missed that blurb about "Best Interaction" when I skimmed through the results. At first glance, it basically sounds like, "I tried to get something else to win by changing up the category, but..." 

That's how I read it too. And that's what I suspected he tried to do by including OTA as an option, hoping to siphon off some of the Olicity vote. He tried his best!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I'm must amused by the fact that I really don't think Olicity/Felicity fans were trying this year.

I didn't see any sort of push this year - but I also have been paying less attention to the show than in years past and am committed to not giving his site any traffic, so its possible I just missed it. 

It would be interesting to know the base size for the categories - both compared to each other and to previous years.  Without knowing the base, a percentage can be misleading.

1 hour ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

There's a whole year to think of a way to make sure there's no category Olicity can win in..I believe in you Craig, LOL

Something like after winning five years in a row a couple is retired from consideration?  Or interaction has to be three or more people?  I think it will depend on how hopeful he is about the possibility of them losing.

• Love 2

One of Arrow’s showrunners, Executive Producer Wendy Mericle was involved with all of Arrow Season 5, and she was also one of the writers on the Best Episode winner “Underneath” which surely contributed to her win with 27% of the vote.

Her “Underneath” co-writer Beth Schwartz came in at #2 with 22%, and Arrow’s other showrunner Marc Guggenheim took #3 honors with 18%.

I'm surprised Wendy Mericle got best writer.  Was it based on Underneath?  LOL, since she and Beth Schwartz also wrote the infamous Time of Death.

How many voted:

Craig Byrne:  It depends on the category. Some categories had a few thousand.

Other portions of that GATV article (so you don't have to bother going to that site)...

Season 5 of Arrow might have inspired many of the most mixed responses — many considered the season to be a “return to form” for the series; others were waiting for certain characters to start interacting again. Our summer roundtable is a good example of those varied opinions; the results in this year’s Awards also reflect that.

Best Episode: “Underneath”

Arrow fans had to wait a while for Oliver and Felicity to talk about what’s up with them, and those same fans were rewarded by having Oliver and Felicity stuck in the bunker in “Underneath.” The episode featured some long-needed dialogue and high-stakes emotion as the characters felt in legitimate danger down there. 54% of those who voted picked “Underneath” as their favorite of Season 5.

The explosive Season 5 finale “Lian Yu” came in second place at 29% as Season 5 went out with a bang, and third place honors went to “Kapiushon” with 8%. The 100th episode of Arrow, “Invasion!” was in 4th place with 4%.

Best Actor (Female): Emily Bett Rickards

There were only two female series regulars on Arrow for Season 5, and of those two, Emily Bett Rickards took the top spot with 73% of the vote. Emily has won in this category in every year that she’s been a series regular! Emily had some good material to work with this year, perhaps none better than the previously-mentioned “Underneath” where the bulk of the episode fell on her and Stephen’s shoulders.

Previous winners: (Season 1) Katie Cassidy – (Season 2) Emily Bett Rickards – (Season 3) Emily Bett Rickards – (Season 4) Emily Bett Rickards

Favorite Writer: Wendy Mericle

One of Arrow’s showrunners, Executive Producer Wendy Mericle was involved with all of Arrow Season 5, and she was also one of the writers on the Best Episode winner “Underneath” which surely contributed to her win with 27% of the vote.

Her “Underneath” co-writer Beth Schwartz came in at #2 with 22%, and Arrow’s other showrunner Marc Guggenheim took #3 honors with 18%.
Favorite Director: Wendey Stanzler

Chalk up another win for the “Underneath” crew as the director of that episode, Wendey Stanzler, came in #1 for the category with 40% of the vote.

Second place honors go to James Bamford (25%) who helmed the first two installments of Season 5 in addition to the 100th episode. Jesse Warn (“Lian Yu”) ranked at #3.

Biggest Shocker: A Tie!

In what might be a first for the GATV Awards, we ended up with a tie in this category!

Both scoring nearly 22% of the vote apiece were “Oliver and Felicity totally had flashback sex” and “Explosions rock Lian Yu.”

“Oliver kills ‘Prometheus’ but it’s actually Billy Malone” from “What We Leave Behind” was #3 with 12%.
Best Action Sequence: Diggle Helps Oliver & Felicity Escape In The Elevator Shaft

Again, an elevator sequence takes the win!

Oliver and Felicity escaping the lair through the elevator shaft with Diggle’s help came in #1 with 59% of those who voted. In a show where you have alien invasions, the real physical challenges provided within the sequence really amped up the drama and featured some great stunt work. Yet another win for “Underneath!”

The monastery battle between the good guys and the bad guys in “Lian Yu” came in second with 16%.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

EBR won this Telfie Buzz poll - it's not a major poll, but still, it's a nice win (poll closed already, so these are the final results)...

So Many Badass Women! Who's Your Favorite CW Actress? Vote In The Poll!
Ma3v3  September 25, 2017
https://telfie.com/buzz/which-actress-from-the-cw-is-your-favorite?

Which Actress From The CW Is Your Favorite?

Emily Bett Rickards - Arrow                32%
Katie Cassidy - Arrow                           2%
Eliza Taylor - The 100                         28%
Lindsey Morgan - The 100                   2%
Marie Avgeropoulos - The 100            2%
Paige Turco - The 100                          2%
Candice Patton - The Flash                17%
Danielle Panabaker - The Flash            8%
Melissa Benoist - Supergirl                   1%
Calista Flockhart - Supergirl                  0%
Chyler Leigh - Supergirl                        1%
Phoebe Tonkin - The Originals             1%
Danielle Campbell - The Originals        0%
Claire Holt - The Originals                    0%
Leah Pipes - The Originals                    0%
Riley Voelkel - The Originals                 0%
Camila Mendes - Riverdale                   0%
Lili Reinhart - Riverdale                         1%
Mädchen Amick - Riverdale                  0%
Marisol Nichols - Riverdale                   0%
Madelaine Petsch - Riverdale                0%
Gina Rodriguez - Jane the Virgin          0%
Yael Grobglas - Jane the Virgin             0%
Andrea Navedo - Jane the Virgin          0%
Ivonne Coll - Jane the Virgin                 0%
Caity Lotz - Legends of Tomorrow         1%
Maisie Richardson-Sellers - Legends of Tomorrow          0%
Amy Pemberton - Legends of Tomorrow                         0%
Rose McIver - iZombie                          0%
Aly Michalka - iZombie                          0%
Rachel Bloom - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend       0%
Donna Lynne Champlin - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend                  0%
Other - Please leave a comment           0%

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Isn't the whole reason Olicity fans vote in the GATV polls is so they can read Craig's deeply bitter passive aggressive write ups, I mean I know that's why I vote in them haha. He never disappoints. 

Also I agree with being curious to see what he pulls next year to try and have Olicity be discounted. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Isn't the whole reason Olicity fans vote in the GATV polls is so they can read Craig's deeply bitter passive aggressive write ups, I mean I know that's why I vote in them haha. He never disappoints. 

Also I agree with being curious to see what he pulls next year to try and have Olicity be discounted. 

For me it's not just the write ups but also the rationalizations and meltdowns in the comments section. The haters can't seem to make up their minds, either the Olicity fans are cheating or have way too much time on their hands, too invested in fictional characters, etc. or all of the above ? I'm also still laughing over Craig's pathetic "best interaction" bid. So, so transparent. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 4

Paley Center Adds Greg Berlanti, FX's John Landgraf, Apple's Zack Van Amburg to L.A. Board of Governors
9:28 AM PDT 10/11/2017 by THR staff
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paley-center-adds-greg-berlanti-fxs-john-landgraf-apples-zack-van-amburg-la-board-governors-1047697

Prolific TV producer Greg Berlanti, FX CEO John Landgraf and Apple chief content officer Zack Van Amburg are among the list of additions to the Paley Center for Media's Los Angeles Board of Governors.
The goal of the Los Angeles-based Board of Governors is to lead the conversation around today's rapidly evolving media landscape and also provide key input on L.A.-based strategy and operations, including public programs and exhibits, educational classes, workshops, and industry events hosted by the Media Council. The board is comprised of leading executives in media, entertainment and technology.

Blake Neely has been nominated for a 2017 HMMA Award for Original Score-Documentary for his work on Netflix's The Keepers, Episode 7...

Hollywood Music in Media Awards Announces Nominees in Film, TV, & Video Game Music
October 24, 2017
https://www.shootonline.com/spw/hollywood-music-media-awards-announces-nominees-film-tv-video-game-music

The Hollywood Music in Media Awards (HMMA) announced today the nominees for music in film, TV, videogames, commercials and trailers. The HMMA nominations have historically been representative of the nominees of key awards shows that occur months later.  HMMA nominees are chosen in specific genres for film, TV and videogame including dramatic feature, sci-fi/ fantasy, documentary and animation. HMMA nominees represent visual music from around the world including Spain, UK, Argentina, France, Norway and Australia.... The 2017 HMMA event will be held at The Avalon Hollywood 1735 Vine Street on Thursday, November 16, 2017. A portion of the proceeds will benefit Education Through Music - Los Angeles (ETMLA). For tickets and additional information and a complete list of nominees, visit http://www.hmmawards.com  
ORIGINAL SCORE - DOCUMENTARY

• Blake Neely - The Keepers, Episode 7 (Netflix)
  • Dan Romer & Saul Simon MacWilliams - Chasing Coral (Netflix)
  • Duncan Thum, Silas Hite, Matt Abeysekera & Sarah Schachner - Chef’s Table (Netflix)
  • Danny Bensi & Saunder Jurriaans - LA 92 (NatGeo)
  • Jeff Beal - Boston (Kennedy/Marshall Co/LA Roma Films)
  • Philip Glass - Jane (NatGeo/Abramorama)

List of All 2017 HMMA nominees:
https://www.hmmawards.com/2017-music-visual-media-nominees/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I debated whether or not to post this new contest, but decided that more info is better than less - fyi, his article lists the actors/characters/shows already nominated (Arrow, SA, EBR, Oliver, Felicity and Olicity are already nominated)...

The 2017 Best Of TV Awards will open soon with the 1st round of voting in late early November.
VOTING CHANGE THIS YEAR! Please be aware, at this time, the rounds of voting might be reduced from 3 to 2. So make considerations carefully based on this possible change.

Edited by tv echo

^^^ FYI, here are all of the Arrow-related nominations in the CG Awards (so far) - you can still request nominations:

• Arrow - nominated for Best Action or Drama Program, Best Writing, Best Stunts, and Favorite TV Show. (4 noms)
  • SA, Arrow, Flash - nominated for Best Actor in an Action or Drama Program, Sexiest Actor, and Best Guest Star. (3 noms)
  • Oliver Queen/Green Arrow - nominated for Favorite TV Character. 
  • EBR, Arrow - nominated for Best Actress in an Action or Drama Program and Sexiest Actress. (2 noms)
  • Felicity Smoak - nominated for Favorite TV Character.
  • Oliver Queen and Felicity Smoak, Arrow - nominated for Best Couple.
  • KC,  Arrow - nominated for Best Recurring Actress.
  • Laurel Lance/Black Siren - nominated for Favorite TV Character.
  • Katrina Law, Arrow - nominated for Best Guest Star and Sexiest Actress. (2 noms)
  • Colton Haynes - nominated for Sexiest Actor.
  • Arrow Cave, Arrow - nominated for Best Non-Human Character or Prop.

However, I noticed the following omissions from the existing nominations:

1.  No nomination for EBR for Best Guest Star. (She guest-starred on LoT, Ep. 216-Doomworld, aired Mar. 28, 2017.) 
2.  No nominations at all for Josh Segarra.
3.  No nominations listed in the Best Episode category yet.

Edited by tv echo

I voted for Arrow, SA, EBR, DR, the Arrowcave, and Oliver/Felicity...

https://canadagraphs.weebly.com/best-of-tv-awards-2017.html

Round 1- Like every year, UNLIMITED MANUAL VOTING is permitted. Any use of a bot votoing system will have the votes  deleted.
Round 2 & 3 - Will be a ONE BALLOT PER "PERSON (peron = IP address)

Round 1 - each round will last 36-72 hours each. As with every year, the first round you can add write in votes if you do not see your candidate in the category y you think they are in. Please be sure to place them in the proper categories, as votes in the wrong category will NOT be counted.

CURRENT CATEGORIES BEING VOTED ON - Sexiest Actress, Sexiest Actor, Best Talk Show Host, Best Writing, Best Director, Best Stunts, Best Non-Human Character or Prop, Best Couple

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

New categories now open for Round 1 voting (you can still vote in other categories-see post above)...

Canadagraphs' Best Of TV Awards
Nov. 17, 2017
https://canadagraphs.weebly.com/best-of-tv-awards-2017.html

Round 1- Like every year, UNLIMITED MANUAL VOTING is permitted. Any use of a bot votoing system will have the votes  deleted.
Round 2 & 3 - Will be a ONE BALLOT PER "PERSON (peron = IP address)

Round 1 - each round will last 36-72 hours each. As with every year, the first round you can add write in votes if you do not see your candidate in the category y you think they are in. Please be sure to place them in the proper categories, as votes in the wrong category will NOT be counted.

CURRENT CATEGORIES BEING VOTED ON - Best Writing, Best Director, Best Stunts, Best Non-Human Character or Prop, Best Couple, Favorite TV Program, Favorite TV Character, Best Episode

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

My print issue of the new TV Guide (Dec. 11-24, 2017 Double Issue) has an article titled "The Year in Cheers & Jeers 2017," which includes the following: 

Cheers to "Crisis on Earth-X" for doing justice to the superhero mashup. Packed with action and all sorts of awesome team-ups, The CW's monumental two-night crossover event featuring Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash and DC's Legends of Tomorrow was truly in a league of its own.

ETA: It's also posted online - 
Cheers & Jeers: The Best and Worst of Television in 2017 (PHOTOS)
Damian Holbrook December 06, 2017 
https://www.tvinsider.com/gallery/cheers-jeers-best-worst-television-2017/#32

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2