Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

Expecting a death is one thing, seeing it play out so suddenly is another. Obviously everyone was expecting a death..doesn't make the scene less shocking. Did anyone expect a rehash of the choice? Thea being there?

To answer your questions, yes, I was 100% certain there would be a rehash of the Sophie's Choice thing (it was so unsurprising I frankly found it a tediously boring writing choice).  That it involved his family members was also unsurprising, since the only options were Sara, Laurel, Moira, Thea and Felicity, so I knew it would be some combination of those 5, and they really covered all their bases with that, since Slade managed to kidnap all 5 women at one point or another (Sara and Thea twice each IIRC, though Sara's were in the flash-backs).

Death scenes are unpleasant, I agree.  But we see so many of them on TV that they're not nearly as shocking as one might hope they'd be.  Or maybe I'm just getting old.

• Love 4

Shocking deaths on tv shows have become so common that they are no longer shocking. It's pretty much you expect a character to die around a finale more than anything else happening.

I was expecting Moria or Sara to die, so it being either of those two I would not have been shocked in the slightest. Upset, yes, but not shocked. The only death that would've really shocked me would've been Laurel's.

The ILY scene shocked me because first I wasn't expecting it so soon, second because they made it a fake out and third finding out it wasn't really a fake out.  

I had read spoilers relating to both scenes. 

I was more surprised by the Moira death scene from the standpoint of wow they actually did it the way it was spoiled. The spoiler was pretty detailed.  I am used to reading spoilers and them playing out differently than most people surmise.

The spoilers I had read mentioned an ILY and a kiss along with Slade's death reminiscent of the count.  Everyone was of course speculating Oliver & Felicity.  I still couldn't imagine it happening so was relieved when there was a kiss and ILY between Thea and Roy.  (I had no idea everybody and his brother was going to tell someone they loved them.)   I was truly shocked when Oliver said ILY to Felicity in the mansion.

Edited by Sunshine
I guess we'll agree to disagree.

No. I disagree to agree! ;)

And...not to be rude or condescending etc but the fact that it was Oliver and Felicity had a lot to do with it I think.

I mean was Diggle being a father spoiled? That was unexpected, out of left field etc...and just like Oliver and Felicity it certainly advances Diggle and Lyla's relationship. 

"USD POLL : Which Arrow storyline are you most excited to see?"

Can't quote properly on my phone but I see all kinds of opinions on there. I voted for Thea. John Barrowman's comments have me hyped up.

Edited by JayKay

The deaths that shock me on tv are the ones where there is no fanfare leading up to it. The character doesn't go out in a blaze of glory and it wasn't made to be a big deal with sweeping dramatic lighting and music and people screaming over the dead body. Like Derek Reese's death in the Sarah Connor Chronicles, he ran through a door got shot in the head and that was it, the scene just kept going and people kept fighting. That was shocking to me.

• Love 3

I actually think SA deserves more credit than he gets. I wouldn't say he's the best actor on the show but he has some really understated nuances in the way he plays flashback 'Ollie' and present day Oliver. I particularly like how he alters the timbre of his voice in flashback that really makes him sound younger and immature. And I think he's really great at really emotional scenes too. Overall I've definitely noticed an improvement since early s1.

Completely agree with you here. SA is very underrated as an actor on this show. He has a tremendous amount of nuance in both how he speaks and his facial expressions. I think he tends to get overlooked in his acting abilities because he gets compared to the actors playing the flashier characters/villains. He ends up playing the straight man to them 90% of the time and that even includes EBR as Felicity. It's not an easy job but I think he pulls it off beautifully.

All the Olicity haters have come out to play in those comments. It's pretty sad when something becomes popular that hate automatically follows. I don't understand some people.

Meh, from what I could see, it was mainly 2 people fighting over shipping vs. non-shipping rather than Olicity specifically. Kind of looks like it all stems from a fear that the romance will overtake the action scenes, which is a ridiculous worry IMO. I'm learning more and more that tuning out comments by people with agendas significantly increases my enjoyment of the show.

• Love 2

No. I disagree to agree! ;)

And...not to be rude or condescending etc but the fact that it was Oliver and Felicity had a lot to do with it I think.

I mean was Diggle being a father spoiled? That was unexpected, out of left field etc...and just like Oliver and Felicity it certainly advances Diggle and Lyla's relationship. 

Lmao WHY MUST YOU DO THAT :P

Also, you're not being rude. I was certain you're going to bring it up :p I'm just going to say this, I don't think it has anything to do with it considering just how close Moira's scene was in the polling. Also because to a lot of people it was shocking! I MEAN IT TRIGGERED SOMEONE'S CATAPLEXY :p Think I'm exaggerating? 

That scene where he told Felicity he loved her caught me so off guard, it set off my cataplexy (symptom of narcolepsy where body falls asleep but I stay awake; brought on by emotional stimuli) and I was paralyzed for a solid minute. That's a long time for me. Well done, TV show. -- Ack_Ack from X

That's not a small feat :p Just because it wasn't shocking for you doesn't mean it wasn't shocking for a hell of a lot of people. I don't think it has anything to do with Oliver/Felicity. I think it had to do with that moment. 

• Love 1

Meh, from what I could see, it was mainly 2 people fighting over shipping vs. non-shipping rather than Olicity specifically. Kind of looks like it all stems from a fear that the romance will overtake the action scenes, which is a ridiculous worry IMO. I'm learning more and more that tuning out comments by people with agendas significantly increases my enjoyment of the show.

Yep that board is a real shit storm right now. 

Yeah, it pretty much is only a couple of people repeating the same thing over and over. I just think it's ridiculous how people are assuming that Olicity will take over the show

when spoilers have CLEARLY stated that they last one episode. I'm pretty sure there will hardly be any Olicity scenes until November sweeps.

I admit promotion has been ship heavy but I wish people would read between the lines. Seriously. It's so frustrating.

I guess I just don't understand this severe dislike of romance. Romance is a part of life. Oliver is the hero of the story so of course there will be some romance. Duh.

Anyway, this post was pretty off topic so I'll be quiet now! 

Edited by SilverStormm
Tagged spoiler talk

Lmao WHY MUST YOU DO THAT :P

Also, you're not being rude. I was certain you're going to bring it up :p I'm just going to say this, I don't think it has anything to do with it considering just how close Moira's scene was in the polling. Also because to a lot of people it was shocking! I MEAN IT TRIGGERED SOMEONE'S CATAPLEXY :p Think I'm exaggerating? 

That's not a small feat :p Just because it wasn't shocking for you doesn't mean it wasn't shocking for a hell of a lot of people. I don't think it has anything to do with Oliver/Felicity. I think it had to do with that moment. 

Wow...and sure people may have a different reaction then me...but, again how is it in essence different than the Daddy Diggle reveal? 

I may be asking a different question altogether now (and may need to move this to a different thread)

I think it's very hard to define what someone finds shocking and trying to prove or disprove it seems a little fruitless. But for me,  the most shocking moment was Moira revealing she knew Oliver's secret followed by her death.

In hindsight, it's easy to say it was telegraphed or maybe I'm just not as savvy at picking up the clues but I sure as fuck didn't expect it.  And certainly not the way it happened.  Oliver's "I love you' was a happy surprise more than a shock because I thought there had been signs since State vs Queen of his affection towards Felicity.

I think Susanna Thompson and Blackthorne were/are the best actors in the show but Amell is really underrated for playing a fairly complex character. He plays wooden on purpose, he plays the nuance of pre-Island!,Island!, post-Island!Oliver, the Vigilante, the Hood, and now the Arrow and yet he still keeps the thread of 'Oliver Queen'.  It's pretty damn great IMO. 

Arrow edged out Supernatural in the Ultimate Fan Favorite poll. I must say the comments by SPN fans are hilarious. 

http://www.etonline.com/tv/150990_fall_tv_showdown_which_show_is_the_ultimate_fan_favorite_vote_now/index.html?viewFull=true

As a SPN fan, I admit I voted for SPN only because I knew Arrow would win anyway.  I was heartened that it was a close vote.  I just want my dang SPN-Arrow crossover especially since Jarpad and Jensen are buddies with Stephen.

I wouldn't say he's the best actor on the show but he has some really understated nuances in the way he plays flashback 'Ollie' and present day Oliver. I particularly like how he alters the timbre of his voice in flashback that really makes him sound younger and immature.

I have to agree with this.  It's his scenes on the island that have made me appreciate that his stoicness (Spell-check doesn't like that and suggests "stockiness" or "stoniness" as options. Nope.) off Island. He even runs differently on the island - much looser - and there was a scene where Slade tosses him a backpack and he kind of bobbles it where I thought, "Nicely done, Mr. Amell" because current Oliver would never have done that. Plus he does little stuff with his eyes and expression that are so speaking - the look on his face in the background when Felicity laughs at Barry's comment about not carrying a gun, only gloves, was perfect.

• Love 3

Go, Thea, go!

If Diggle and his interaction/history with Suicide Squad were his listing, he'd be up higher. Babies are hard to write in a dynamic way. I'd have voted Sara but I can't see her getting much screen time this season.

Oliver's past and son? "Doof Oliver - Y or N?" should have its own poll and all of the options are yes and hell yes.

Re: Green Arrow TV awards. For once, I voted for a poll online (not everything, but some of them were linked here). Interesting results!

I'm firmly in the "Stephen Amell is underrated" camp. The show wouldn't be the same for me without Team Arrow but still, he pretty much carries the whole of it on his shoulders. He's the center. If Oliver didn't work, if S.Amell wasn't believable in every incarnation of Oliver Queen and if he wasn't so involved in his character and his work, we'd have a mash of a show, with excellent performances and one-liners here and there, emerging from a magma of disjointed nonsense...and I don't think there would have been a second season. I love D.Ramsey and P.Blackthorne to bits and I think they're wonderful actors, but they don't have the same load to carry imo.

I hesitated to no end between S.Thompson and E.B.Rickards. Both of them were flawless in their respective role, imo. But EBR single-handedly raised a one-episode character to the status of de facto (should I say imo?) female lead, simply by her ability to hit the right note all the time and make Felicity unique and very likeable (to most).  With a less skilled actress, Felicity could have been a one-note cliché that no one would have cared about. Moreover, if a respected TV critic like Alan Spinewall, who is no EP mouthpiece nor "Olicity fangirl" (and neither a CW shows fan, considering those he recaps) consider EBR's performance worthy of an Emmy nomination...well, I think her win is well deserved.

I couldn't in all intellectual honesty vote for BoP, since I refused to sit through it...so I'm kind of vindicated that it won. I don't know for others, but Helena was for me the only incentive to watch it...not enough to counterbalance my allergy to the Lance sisters at the time. I was surprised that ToD -I voted for it as the worst- wasn't a runner up.

I completely agree with upthread re: what's wrong with the show according to those polls.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 7

Here's a new poll at SpoilerTV...

USD POLL : Which Arrow storyline are you most excited to see?

Posted by DarkUFO at Friday, September 26, 2014

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/09/usd-poll-which-arrow-storyline-are-you.html

Thanks for the link. I voted for Thea and Sara coming back. I'm also curious about the Laurel/Ted dynamic, but I'm keeping my expectations low because none of Arrow's romantic relationships have managed to convince me so far.

Edited by shadow2008

I knew a rehash of Oliver's Choice was coming with Slade. They practically wrote it in skywriting.  Could they have had Oliver say "I killed Shado" and reference that scene any more?

I notice no-one is debating whether or not Stephen Amell is really the best actor on the show, or whether he was unreasonably voted for by fans simply because he has so much screen-time or whatever. 

I think Paul Blackthorne and Colin Salmon are better actors, and Manu Bennett and David Ramsey are both very good in their roles.  But I would give the award to Stephen Amell because he does a very good job of what he does, and he carries the show on his shoulders.  

Like a function where Merit = A * E where 'A' is the ability of the actor and 'E' is the effect his role has on the show.

The same for Susanna Thompson and EBR.  Thompson is the better actress, but EBR did a stellar job carrying many of her scenes.

I was just catching up on Orphan Black and at the episode where

Aldous Leakey dies

.    I was spoiled so I knew it was coming but the way they did it, I was shocked and then I started laughing because i

t's so typical of Donnie

.  So I think you can be shocked both at what happens on screen, and also how they do it.

^ I missed the part where you could vote for two options in the poll...just now noticed that.

I've made that mistake too many times so now I always check. But if I really want to emphasize just one choice, I only vote for that one.

I'd love it if Felicity, Thea and Sara scoring 4 of the top 5, okay Felicity, Thea, Sara and Laura scoring 5 of the top 6 means that adventure shows are finally accepting that women viewers count too.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/09/usd-poll-which-arrow-storyline-are-you.html

http://goo.gl/7oSg0m

Poll of which arrow storyline fans are most interested in! Interesting results

Edit: wow oops I'm a dunce It's already been posted lol. The results are only a little bit different. Now after Oliver and his son is Roy as a sidekick, then Sara return and then Laurel (although the three are very close together) 

Edited by ban1o

TV Guide Magazine is holding its 2014 Fan Favorites Awards voting now on its Facebook page.  Voting ends November 3rd at noon ET, and the winners will be revealed in an upcoming issue.  You can vote as many times as you want.

*  Arrow is up for favorite Sci-fi/Fantasy.

*  Oliver&Felicity is up for favorite Duo.

https://www.facebook.com/TVGuideMagazine/app_489874481074750

Edited by tv echo

TV Guide Magazine is holding its 2014 Fan Favorites Awards voting now on its Facebook page.  Voting ends November 3rd at noon ET, and the winners will be revealed in an upcoming issue.  You can vote as many times as you want.

*  Arrow is up for favorite Sci-fi/Fantasy.

*  Oliver&Felicity is up for favorite Duo.

https://www.facebook.com/TVGuideMagazine/app_489874481074750

Are Laurel and the jacket nominated for favourite duo as well?

• Love 3

Vote here...

Who Has the Hottest Sexual Tension of 2014?

by Shannon Vestal 11/20/14

http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/TV-Couples-Sexual-Tension-2014-36147890?stream_view=1#photo-36148153

Currently, the top three vote-getters are:

34% Claire and Jamie, Outlander

26% Felicity and Oliver, Arrow

24% Robin Hood and Regina, Once Upon a Time

I thought sexual tension was for couples who have not consummated their relationship. Claire & Jamie are at it like rabbits all the time. Heck, they spent one whole episode on their wedding night. as far as I am concerned, nothing beats Olicity as far as sexual tension is concerned - their sexual tension was top notch even before there existed a possibility that they would be a couple, I mean in episodes 1x22 or 2x01. They win every time for me. I am off to vote for them

• Love 1

Because nothing says sexual tension like doing it in the crypt close to the heart of your not-dead-wife.  Robin and Regina really don't do it for me.

I think sexual tension is when you want to say to the couple 'just do it!' whether they've done it already or not.  Definitely not Robin and Regina. Wonder why they didn't take Emma and Hook from that show instead.

• Love 3

Because nothing says sexual tension like doing it in the crypt close to the heart of your not-dead-wife.  Robin and Regina really don't do it for me.

I think sexual tension is when you want to say to the couple 'just do it!' whether they've done it already or not.  Definitely not Robin and Regina. Wonder why they didn't take Emma and Hook from that show instead.

Replying in Small Talk thread...

• Love 1

....it seriously says something that Oliver/Laurel are currently at the top of a "never be together list" that includes Cersei and Jaime Lannister.

Yeah, I was waiting to see if Oliver/Laurel win so that I could make a comment about how bad their relationship must be if they beat out incest.  Pretty damn bad, that's for sure.

• Love 1

It's not even just the incest. Their relationship

helped start a civil war. And that's before the "let's have sex right next to our son's dead body" which, ok, yes, everyone has their own kinks, but I'd like to draw the line somewhere, you know? And that seems like a good place. 

(Major spoiler for the last season of Game of Thrones beneath the cut.)

I'm not sure that any couple should be perceived as more dysfunctional than that, even Olivia/Fitz. And yet, Oliver/Laurel.  Unless none of the voters watched the last season of Game of Thrones?

• Love 2

^I don't watch Game of Thrones, so only know that Jaime and Cersei are siblings.  But a major "eww" to the stuff under the spoiler tag.  Of the couples that I'm familiar with on that poll, Oliver/Laurel are the only ones that had major major anti-chemistry.

There is a difference between anti-chemistry (Laurel and Oliver) who really just seem to never be in sync and the actors just don't do well when performing together and great chemistry but horrid character storyline (GoT Cersei and Jamie who are amazing actors together yet their storyline is just, well, ugh).

Amell and Cassidy just never look natural around each other.  Ever.

• Love 11

It's not even just the incest. Their relationship

helped start a civil war. And that's before the "let's have sex right next to our son's dead body" which, ok, yes, everyone has their own kinks, but I'd like to draw the line somewhere, you know? And that seems like a good place. 

(Major spoiler for the last season of Game of Thrones beneath the cut.)

I'm not sure that any couple should be perceived as more dysfunctional than that, even Olivia/Fitz. And yet, Oliver/Laurel.  Unless none of the voters watched the last season of Game of Thrones?

Despite being super dysfunctional, Jamie & Cersei are extremely popular so I never thought they would top the poll. Same goes for Ezra and Aria who are basically a male teacher and an under age female student (major eww) but they too are very popular (disclosure: I have only watched the first season of Pretty Little Liars so if the girl is an adult now, it is probably a lot less icky).

I seriously thought that Olivia and Fitz would top the poll but I guess nothing beats the power of Green Arrow and Black Canary. I just hope that the show does not revisit them as a couple. It would be too much.

• Love 1

Congrats to Arrow!

TV Guide Magazine's Fan Favorites Awards: The Walking Dead, Outlander, Arrow and More!
Rob Moynihan  Dec 1, 2014 12:01 PM ET
http://www.tvguide.com/news/tv-guide-magazine-fan-favorites-awards-walking-dead-1089980.aspx

10422450_992003324147796_869247527400393

TV Guide Magazine @TVGuideMagazine  ·  22h 22 hours ago
Congrats to @amellywood and everyone at #Arrow, winner of Favorite Sci-fi/Fantasy Show in our Fan Favorite Awards.

https://twitter.com/TVGuideMagazine

TV Guide Magazine  21 hours ago
Congratulations to Stephen Amell and everyone at Arrow, winner of Favorite Sci-fi/Fantasy Show in our Fan Favorites Awards.

https://www.facebook.com/TVGuideMagazine/timeline

Other winners of TV Guide Magazine Fan Favorites 2014:

P.S.  The Flash won Favorite New Show.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

MTV's Best TV Characters of 2014

#26 Felicity Smoak

“Felicity Smoak can get it. The IT girl turned VP is more than the object of the hero’s reluctant affection, she’s become a hero herself on her own terms. From saving herself from her psycho ex, to inspiring a beaten down Arrow, it’s no surprise everyone from Starling to Central City has a crush on Felicity Smoak. But sorry, everyone: she has a type, and it’s salmon-laddering six-packed (former) CEOs.”

Their #10 is Barry Allen.

Buddy TV's Best Feminist Characters of 2014 (includes Stephen Colbert for gamergate)

Felicity Smoak, Arrow
Her superpower is clearly “hacking" and she is in fact the frontrunner for being the lead’s “love interest," but Felicity Smoak is powerful in her own right and stands up to the men in her life. This bitch with WiFi can crack the government database in under five and just so happens to wear fabulous outfits and heels.
  • Love 5

Also from BuddyTV...

TV's 17 Sexiest Scenes of 2014
By Chrissa Hardy on Thursday, December 11, 2014
http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/arrow/17-sexiest-scenes-on-tv-in-2014-31429.aspx

9 of 17
Olicity’s First Kiss, Arrow

Olicity shippers everywhere were finally rewarded with a kiss! It was sweet and also sad because at the end of it, the two of them decided not to be together... for now. You know it’s coming though, right? This separation is only temporary. Oliver knows he loves Felicity and even though Felicity has Ray, it won’t last. These two will be smooching once again and it’ll surely top the first kiss. Right? Fingers crossed, you guys.

tv-s-17-sexiest-scen.jpg

• Love 1

From Entertainment Weekly...

21 Sweetest Shipper Moments of 2014
By Lanford Beard, Mandi Bierly, Samantha Highfill on Dec 12, 2014
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20326356_20882846,00.html#30264161

6 of 21
Olicity Kiss, Arrow

First, the season 2 finale gave Olicity fans the ''I love you'' they'd been waiting for, only to rip it away as part of Oliver's (Stephen Amell) plan to defeat Slade (Manu Bennett). But then, the season 3 premiere quickly got things back on track. Not only did Oliver finally ask Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) out on a date, but the pair also shared their first kiss. Yes, Oliver technically said they still couldn't be together, but at least he followed it with, ''Don't ask me to say that I don't love you.'' Of course, all of that led to Oliver's big confession in season 3's mid-season finale. Before leaving to fight Ra's al Ghul (Matt Nable) to the death, he told Felicity that there were only two things he knew about himself: First, he'll do whatever it takes to protect his sister. And the second thing? ''I love you.'' —Samantha Highfill
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2