Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

(edited)

EW.com is doing their 5th annual Season Finale Awards, and Arrow is nominated in five categories:

• Most Unforgettable Line (“Slade took Laurel because he wants to kill the woman I love…. So he took the wrong woman…. I love you.” — Oliver convincingly professing feelings for Felicity to lure Slade, );
  • Dumbest Move by a Character Who Should be Smart (Slade didn't frisk Felicity);
  • Best Fight (Team Arrow vs. Slade’s soldiers);
  • Most Rewound Moment (Oliver saying he loves Felicity); and
  • Most Likely to Earn Someone an Emmy Nomination (Outstanding Stunt Coordination is a category)

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/22/season-finale-awards-vote-now-2/

Voting through Memorial Day.

ETA:  I'd like it if Arrow won the Best Fight and Stunt Coordination categories because hopefully the Emmy committee will take a look at that.  

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

The EW finale awards are in and Arrow won for Most Likely to Earn an Emmy for stunt co-ordination.  Here's an interview with stunt coordinator J.J. Makaro and fight coordinator James Bamford, The logistics of the fights really make me appreciate the work that went into it.  http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/28/arrow-stunts-finale/

Nothing else, although 'Oliver telling Felicity he loves her' lost Most Rewound Moment by 245 votes to Damon saying goodbye to Elena on Vampire Diaries, and Arrow came close in Best Fight (for sheer retributions, I'm glad May beating up Ward on S.H.I.E.L.D. won).  http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20593459_20820828,00.html

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
(edited)

Arrow submitted the following actors for consideration at the Emmys:

Lead Actor Drama - Stephen Amell

Supporting Actor Drama - Manu Bennett

Supporting Actress Drama - Emily Bett Rickards and Susanna Thompson

They also submitted in stunt coordination and sound editing.

Source

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think it is submitted by the individual actor or craftsperson but I would imagine that it has to be approved by the show's producers, if only to avoid embarrassment.  Pretty much everyone who fits a category submits.

Fingers crossed on the stunt coordiation (40 submissions) and sound editing (70 submissions). I'd like to think that they might get some of the acting nominations, esp Manu Bennett and Susanna Thompson but fringe shows don't do well in the Emmys. If Tatiana Maslany/Orphan Black didn't get a nomination, what hope does Arrow have?

Thanks for the link, it's really interesting to see who is where. Stephen Amell is up against 84 others, including Kevin Bacon, Kevin Spacey, James Spader and Steve Buscemi (also Dylan Neal aka Dr. Ivo for his work on Cedar Cove).  Manu Bennett is up against 253 others, and there are 170 submissions in the supporting actress category (including Gillian Anderson, Lana Parilla, Snadra Oh and Monica Potter)..

Edited by statsgirl

So how does that work? Does the studio or network do the submitting or do the actors put their names in the ring?

I think it differs from show to show. With The Walking Dead, you can kind of tell that the submissions must have been made by the network/studio because they used the same pictures (season 4 promo shots) for the whole cast, but most of the time, it's on the actors (or their agents) to submit themselves.

The fact that Katie Cassidy didn't submit anything for Emmy consideration, not even Supporting Actress, kind of says it all.

(I hate that Felicity is wearing those shoes on that poster.  Laurel has ones as high but at least they don't have a stiletto heel and are more walkable.)

The bad news is that if EBR was submitted in the supporting actress category, then that must mean that the show producers still consider KC to be the leading actress on the show.

I'm pretty sure they are just following SAG guidelines and Cassidy's contract there. Cassidy had second billing throughout the second season, including episodes that she didn't appear in, so she's still technically the lead actress. I'm not reading much into that.

I'm mostly surprised that Arrow didn't put in for a cinematography award.  I thought they had some really lovely shots and camera work. 

• Love 1

Fair enough. It's also probably an academic point, since I don't think anyone on Arrow, with the very arguable exception of Susanna Thompson, has a strong shot at a Emmy nod - Game of Thrones and Lost aside, the Emmy nominations have tended not to reward genre work, although Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny picked up a few nominations during X-Files. If Arrow continues to get critical acclaim, then maybe next season. Maybe.

I do hope Arrow gets a stunt coordination nomination, though.

Forget genre, can you imagine any CW show getting a nod? I'd bet the voters don't even both to look at the CW submissions simply because of the networks reputation.

Word. CW shows have no chance in the acting categories. That has always been the case - even when critically acclaimed shows like Gilmore Girls or Buffy were on the air (I know those were on the WB, but you get the drift).

(edited)

The Emmys have always been more about being 'in with the in crowd'.  James Spader won 3 Emmys in a row, beating out Hugh Laurie each time who never won an Emmy for House.  It's not just CW shows that get locked out.  Tatiana Maslany won the Televison Critics Association Award for Individual Achievement in Drama in 2013, beating out Bryan Cranston (a multi Emmy winner), Vera Fermiga, Monica Potter and Matthew Rhys, and didn't even get nominated for an Emmy, probably because she's on a sci fi show.. 

The bad news is that if EBR was submitted in the supporting actress category, then that must mean that the show producers still consider KC to be the leading actress on the show.

Lana Parilla, who plays Regina on Once Upon A Time and at times takes over the show, also submitted in Supporting Actress category. It's often about where you have a better chance at winning.

With the Emmys, it seems like anyone who has done a decent body of work submits their name.  It's more telling when someone doesn't.... which makes me wonder why Paul Blackthorne didn't submit in the Supporting category.

Edited by statsgirl

I watched for the first time (and maybe the last since it just had its finale) "Sing Your Face Off" which our lovely John Barrowman acted as host.  I wish now I had watched the show from the beginning (B list celebrities do imitations of famous singers going the whole nine yards with facial prosthetics and chorography and dancers while trying to act and sound like their randomly assigned singers be them male or female - a 14 year old girl dressed up as James Brown).

The premise is soo cheesy (fascinating to watch though) but Barrowman was great.  At one point he was laughing so hard he was almost crying.  And do normal human being's eyes sparkle that much?

I don't know how much weight it holds, but Alan Sepinwall wrote an article about if he had an Emmy ballot he would cast a vote for Emily Bett Rickards. There's really not a chance that anyone from the CW would ever get a nomination, but maybe things will change in the future? 

That's quite something coming from Alan Sepinwall.  It's too bad the Emmys are so hidebound in who gets nominated and who wins.

He would also nominate Bex Taylor-Kraus, who plays Sin.  (BT-K is also guesting on The Librarians next season ) http://tvline.com/2014/06/16/the-librarians-cast-bex-taylor-klaus-the-killing-bullet/  

Dan Fienburg, who does the other half of Sepinwall's Emmy ballots which are the actors who may actually be put on the ballot, also put in EBR but in 21st slot 

Emily Bett Rickards, 'Arrow'
Nomination Status: Tee-hee. Emmy nomination? For an actor on a CW superhero show? Ummm... No.

In Her Favor: Emily Bett Rickards is easily the MVP of the "Arrow" cast. Yes, Stephen Amell is the star and he does his job well, but without Felicity Smoak, "Arrow" is a dark, proficient, grungy, miserable show. Rickards is responsible for the periodic laughs and emotional beats that are completely essential to providing any sort of tonal variation at all. I'm not an Olicity shipper, but I anticipate Felicity scenes with Oliver because she lets Amell unclench just a little. The character does that for everybody, but so much of why the character works relates to the writers smartly seeing why Rickards works. Oh and the Felicity Interrogation was probably the best scene of the entire second season.

Working Against Her: I wonder what it would take for somebody to get a major acting Emmy nomination for a CW show. I'm just gonna have to keep wondering, I suspect.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/emmy-nomination-preview-2014-outstanding-supporting-actress-in-a-drama#rBqswAWvjeSv1c8Y.99

Bex Taylor Kraus is at #18 but for her work on The Killing.

Arrow got pretty much shut out of the Teen Choice Awards, except for Best Sci Fi show, in which it's up against Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, Sleepy Hollow and Once Upon a Time  http://tvline.com/2014/06/17/teen-choice-award-nominees-2014-full-list-pretty-little-liars-teen-wolf/

• Love 2
(edited)

No way the CW is getting an Emmy nom, but I'm so happy for EBR [and Bex!] for getting recognition like this. Especially from Alan Sepinwall, who's definitely one of the most high regarded TV critics out there.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 2

I think it's cool that he likes Felicity, as many do, but I imagine for an Emmy you have to not just display a wide range of believable emotion, but have good material to work with. Perhaps s3 will hold more of that for Felicity (I hope) and then an Emmy nomination seems more plausible.

(edited)

I don't put much stock in the Emmys.  They tend to vote for the same shows and actors year after year. 

I'm generally sick of all of the Hollywood and entertainment awards shows.  What other profession or industry gives itself so many awards? Emmy Awards, Oscar Awards, Tony Awards, Golden Globe Awards, Critics Choice Awards, SAG Awards, Producers Guild Awards, Writers Guild Awards, People's Choice Awards, MTV Movie Awards, Teen Choice Awards, Grammy Awards, American Music Awards, etc.

Edited by tv echo

I'm generally sick of all of the Hollywood and entertainment awards shows.  

I work on the outskirts of the industry, and I have worked at one of those award shows listed for the past 9 years, and I am sick of it all as well. Same nominees, same winners, even when there are clearly other worthy contenders. The Emmys rarely acknowledge genre shows which is a shame. But it's great that EBR was recognized by Alan Sepinwall. I hope the CW realizes what a rare gift they got when she was cast as the random IT girl.

• Love 1

I also voted that Felicity/Ollie/Laurel was my" Love Triangle You Are Most Over", especially since there never was a triangle to be had, imo.   Hopefully, if enough folks vote for it, maybe TPTB might start to take the hint.

Any "awards" that have Nina Dobrev and Adelaide Kane above Tatiana Maslany in Best Drama Actress are a joke at best. No point in voting, too - I'm sure fans of TVD and other such fare have long since perfected algorythms for auto-voting.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Arrow/Deathstroke final fight scene in "Unthinkable" made Entertainment Weekly's list of "The Fifty Best Scenes" (June 20, 2014 issue). EW viewed every episode of every show on TV over the past year to come up with this list of what they considered the 50 most award-worthy performances.

This scene was #40 on the list. Reason:

This long-awaited throwdown gave fans two fights - one past and one present -combined with a sinking ship, creating an unforgettable (and highly physical) conclusion to their rivalry. Arrow did not fail his city, and the show's stunt team did not fail its fans.

It's pretty impressive that Arrow got any recognition at all, considering the competition.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I thought the Oliver/Slade fight sequence in the finale was well done on the stunt side, but at that point in the season I couldn't really muster up any care for either character, so the scene as a whole, while well done, fell flat for me. I don't think it was the best thing Arrow did last year by a long shot. Nice that the show and the stunt team is getting recognition, though.

Perhaps s3 will hold more of that for Felicity (I hope) and then an Emmy nomination seems more plausible.

I don't think anyone on Arrow is getting Emmy attention. I love the show, but I don't think it deserves awards recognition. EBR is giving a good performance, but this season at least I personally thought Thompson and Holland were more consistent, even though they were given less to do. If it was my nomination list I'd probably even put Lotz above EBR. Then again, the Emmys nominated Emilia Clarke last year for Game of Thrones even though I'd make the argument that basically any other woman on the show was more deserving, particularly Headey or Dormer or Fairley. Sandra Oh from Grey's Anatomy has almost no chance of a nomination despite five previous nominations in the category and a departing arc full of great acting moments. There's too much competition for any of the actors on Arrow to get recognised, and while in previous years I would at least be annoyed by certain actors on the WB/CW getting passed over for awards attention, I don't think that applies to Arrow in the slightest, even though a lot of the time it's the show I most look forward to watching every week.

(edited)

For me Holland/Thompson were given the best material. Lotz is great as Sara but sometimes she put on such an performances i needed to laugh hysterically, because it was cringe-worthy. EBR had her usual funny one liners in the first part of season 2 with some serious material, some great performances in the last 3 episodes but thats nothing if you compare what kind of powerful material Lotz/Holland and Thompson were given throughout the season. Thompson is for me the most likely that would get some kind of nod. But i think its great that Emily and Bex were mentioned in that interview and especially by that critic. And i don't think Emmy's go for best performance anyway. When i see some people get nominated i want to laugh and roll my eyes. 

And i think it would depend which episode the actress would put for her best performance, they dont judge the whole season, because i think they always submit an episode to be nominated. And I guess they would all need to be submitted by the studios. I am wondering in which category Lotz would be nominated, since she was billed as guest star. 

Edited by Velocity23
(edited)

I think the last scene in "Birds of Prey"  where Thea admits to Oliver that he is the only one that she can trust and asks him why does every body lie was the best emotional scene of the season for me and Holland's performance was exceptional. It also showed how much potential Holland has and the things she can do if given good material. She is one of the few reasons that I am looking forward for Season 3. I think she's the best actress on the show by a mile (leaving Thompson) and Holland would be my top choice to forward for any Award from Arrow.

Edited by abhi
  • Love 1

Any "awards" that have Nina Dobrev and Adelaide Kane above Tatiana Maslany in Best Drama Actress are a joke at best. No point in voting, too - I'm sure fans of TVD and other such fare have long since perfected algorythms for auto-voting.

Harder to perfect an algorithm when you have to type in a captcha word every time you vote. Unless they figured a way around that.

I agree that Willa is the best actress remaining on the show. I don't think it's just that she was give more to work with. A lot of her stuff was very weak but she sure made the best of it. I love Emily but I don't think she is as strong as Willa, but she also has less experience.  Oddly, the actress with the most experience is now Katie Cassidy.....heh. 

I am really looking forward to Willa and JB's scenes. 

Maybe the fans of TVD and Reign have more time to vote than other people, or maybe it's important enough for them to keep voting over and over.

I don't think Arrow is going to win any acting awards unless it's in sci fi specific awards.  I'm glad it's getting attention though, and that its actors who work really hard are getting recognized. SA doesn't have a hope of winning an Emmy for Arrow but Dan Fienburg still put him on the "other notable candidates" list along with Kevin Bacon, Jason Beghe, Clark Gregg, Jonny Lee Miller and Timothy Olyphant. That's not bad company. 

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/if-i-had-an-emmy-ballot-2014-outstanding-lead-actor-in-a-drama-series

Ironically the actor with the least experience is EBR. Her imdb resume starts in 2012.

I also voted that Felicity/Ollie/Laurel was my" Love Triangle You Are Most Over", especially since there never was a triangle to be had, imo.   Hopefully, if enough folks vote for it, maybe TPTB might start to take the hint.

Do you still have the link? I'd love to add my vote to that.

Never underestimate the Supernatural fanbase too. Jensen Ackles is leading right now,  and of SPN, TVD and Reign actors, I think Ackles would actually deserve to win. I don't think Stephen Amell stands a chance there.

In my opinion, Willa Holland and Emily Bett Rickards are about the same in terms of acting ability.  WH has had more "dramatic" scenes in the past two seasons, but EBR has had more "comic" scenes.  Sometimes comedy - having the right comic timing - is more difficult to do than drama.  (I'm not talking about sitcom comedy but understated humor.)  Both WH and EBR are much better actors than Katie Cassidy - again my opinion.

• Love 3

The old line "Dying is easy, comedy is hard"?

Both Susanna Thompson and Willa Holland did a lot of good stuff with often questionable material.  I think EBR gets noticed more by the media writers because she has a larger role on the show but even more, she provides a lightness and fun that the show really needs.

I don't agree, Nina Dobrev should be a winner many times over, she does a lot of lifting on that show, last check 3 characters at once. It pisses me off that CW doesn't get the acknowledgment it deserves. Susanna Thompson should get everything, what grace, what skill. Bah! Boring and prejudiced academy meh!

I don't agree, Nina Dobrev should be a winner many times over, she does a lot of lifting on that show, last check 3 characters at once. It pisses me off that CW doesn't get the acknowledgment it deserves. Susanna Thompson should get everything, what grace, what skill. Bah! Boring and prejudiced academy meh!

Tatiana Maslany played at least 4 different characters in every episode this season. Each character was so distinct, that I often found myself forgeting that they were all the same actress. The fact that she wasn't nominated last year, completely invalidates the emmys as an awards show that I should take seriously.

To bring this back on topic, Arrow isn't good enough to get nominated for anything besides it's stunts. There is some good acting, Susannah Thompson particularly, but no one gets the kind of material that will catch the attention of the emmys. The writers let the actors down.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't agree that the show doesn't warrant it beyond stunts, I think Susanna Thompson is phenomenal and Stephen Amell has had some great moments. This show has done so much for fitness and superhero(dom) in the media that it's irritating to me that awards shows can't look past the CW and get to the good stuff. Even the way SA plays pre- and post-island Oliver is worthy of something IMO. Gah! Bitter.

Edited by slayer2

Any tv awards show that doesn't nominate Tatiana Maslany is a joke to me now. I used to think that actors playing multiple roles were decent like Anna Torv on Fringe or Nina Dobrov on TVD, until I saw TM. She's on a whole different level than most actors. I found myself thinking when Helena and Sarah were on a road trip that, it looks like fun and the actresses should be friends, then I remembered they are the same person. That's how good she is. 

Susannah Thompson rises above the terrible writing and is great on this show, but she isn't given enough to do to warrant an Emmy nom IMO. I wish they would look at other shows but the actors/shows they choose do have a lot of characterization and growth and their shows really give those actors something to sink their teeth into. Arrow does not do that with any of its characters. Its not a character driven show and until is I don't think it deserves an Emmy beyond the stunt work. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Any awards show that ignores Tatiana Maslany and Jensen Ackles (especially Jensen after 9 seasons of amazing work on SPN) leaves me just shaking my head.  They don't have to win but to not even be nominated? Boggles my mind.  I think Maslany will get a nom this season. I mean she HAS to right? Right? Probably not because science fiction/genre show. It's bigotry I tell you!

But Arrow being a genre show even with the backing of WB/DC probably won't get a second look beyond stunt coordination. I really hope they do at least get a nomination for that because it would be well deserved. 

Edited by catrox14