Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Now the Sons of Eli Were Worthless Men

• Start Topic

"I still like you as a son" 😂🤣😂 That whole scene between Jesse and Gideon killed me. 

I do wonder why Eli doesn't let Judy participate more in the church. Before I thought it was because she's a woman, but in last week's episode we saw that he and Aimee-Leigh were really a partnership, so I don't think that's it anymore. (Not that I feel bad for Judy. She, like all of them, is terrible, but still, unfair is unfair.)

• Love 7

I really didn't need to see that much of Keefe. I was waiting for Judy to fall off the stage or do something wrong during her performance so it was a nice surprised that didn't happen. Gideon seems like he is getting along with his family but I guess he is in too deep with the other guy now to quit. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Scummy as he is, Baby Billy probably has the right idea with appealing to Judy's sense of (rightfully) feeling overlooked and unappreciated by Eli compared to his sons, and possibly turning her against the rest of the Gemstones.  Of course, I doubt it will work since Judy is just so awesomely unpredictable, but his logic is sound.

I just get a kick out of whenever the Gemstone siblings just act like completely immature kids, like when Judy yanked out Kelvin's hair or the whole golf cart bit with Jesse and Judy.

Looks like Gideon is having second thoughts about his grand plan and his feeling towards the family, but is it too late, now?

Curious to see what they're setting up for Seasons/Dermot Mulroney's character.  It looks like he's lost the majority of his congregation now, but I don't see him just lying down and accepting his fate.

Edi Patterson was on fire as always.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Looks like Gideon is kind of getting used to being with his family, and is even reconnecting with them, even his asshole dad, intheir own way "I still like you as a son" even laughing at him telling his partner off over the phone. But his partner isnt ready to be done, and the guy might be a small time loser, but he is dangerous. 

It was actually kind of sweet when Judy did well on stage with Baby Billy and Eli looked proud of her while he was watching, she isnt a bad performer! I do wonder why Eli is keeping her out of the business, I previously thought (and she seems to think) that it was because she was a woman, but Eli and Aimee-Leigh seemed to be equal partners in their show and ministry, but I assume its some other reason. Judy is certainly a wild card, but she seems to be more or less as competent as her brothers, so maybe something else happened that made him want to back off of letting her take center stage?

Baby Billy really is a silver tongued bastard, isnt he? It seems like he is playing Judy just like he played Jesse when he was a kid and got him drunk at Judy's wedding. He plays the cool, understanding uncle against mean old dad Eli and gets the kids to do whatever he wants that will piss Eli off and makes Eli look like the bad guy while he comes off smelling like daises. Of course, maybe he does think that he and Judy could become a new act and get him back in the spotlight, or maybe its both? It sure isnt any kind of act of pure love towards his niece, the guy knows what buttons to push to get what he wants. The kids calling him "Uncle Baby Billy" is so weird, it never stops cracking me up. 

Great performances from everyone as always, I especially love the interactions between the Gemstone kids, they're so hilariously immature together. "No no dont tell daddy"

• Love 10
On 9/23/2019 at 12:24 AM, MerBearStare said:

I do wonder why Eli doesn't let Judy participate more in the church.

My first thought was that he doesn't want the competition. His sons might be dunces but easy for him to control. He might think she is too competent and therefore a direct threat to his power. But I'm pretty sure the show Succession is coloring my view so...

My second thought is just that she reminds him too much of his beloved Amy-Leigh. You know, "with the hair and the face" as her Uncle Baby Billy would say. I'm sure there is a heart-warming father-daughter reconciliation in the future.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I continue to be impressed with this show's characterizations, this week giving Judy a real chance to shine. Consider the pathos she has in the scene where she gets a chance to feel like a star: the viewer feels great for her, even if she's not perfect at what she's doing. The look of happiness and satisfaction on her face is genuine, and you get to feel something on her behalf, something genuine. BUT...not three minutes prior to the scene, she's threatening to let someone from the audience finger her if she can't get her milksop man BJ to go "up and down" on her with his "lily white dick" which she then slaps, and he leaves the room so she can masturbate. Moments before THIS scene, she's threatening to shave her pussy TO HER BROTHER, who then says "Don't be shaving things!" and she replies "Already did it!"

That's quite a difficult turn to make as a writer and as an actor! 

• Love 8