Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Camp Redwood

• Start Topic

I maybe one of the few who thinks that AHS improves with every new season. "Cult" was amazing and is very underestimated and the last season was  extremely enjoyable too. AHS 1984  has nailed the style of 1980s slashers perfectly. At one point (the mental hospital part) I even though I was watching "Alone in the Dark" from the 1982, it was almost frame to frame copy. But I also loved "Dead of Summer", especially towards the end when they went into Lovecraft's territory full speed.  

With all this said, I'm really looking forward to next episodes, although 

Spoiler

If you really carefully watch the promo for the season, you'll see many spoilers. They really do give away a lot this time.

Edited by skotnikov
  • Love 6

I don't know why, but I have zero nostalgia for the 80's teen slasher movies or this fascination with real life serial killers. They used to say Star Wars/Blazing Saddles killed off all the westerns and I think Scream and the Scream parodies did it for me for horror.

My lovely city spawned John Wayne Gacy who supposedly inspired Stephen King to write IT.  Clowns are now very uncool. Then we had the Tylenol murders (which may or may not be solved depending on how much tin is in your hat). Top that with a job in the 90's on the south side of Chicago during a wave of violence that rivals today's and I'm burnt.  I truly want to love this. The commercials on TV, the makeup, the godawful styles are great. They really nailed the feeling of that era. And, for full disclosure, I actually worked in a mall in the late 80's and had a semi mullet. Yep.

I'm going to hang in there and hope that the story will surprise me.

• Love 4

I absolutely loved this. The 80s' hair, clothes, aerobic craze, and music made me nostalgic. I couldn't stop cracking up at the frosted tips, the baggy pants, etc. I can't wait to see what happens next.

I think that Emma Roberts' character (can't remember her name) totally hallucinated the attack in her bedroom.  I also think that there are likely multiple killers with different agendas at work. Emma Roberts' character might just be one of the killers.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11

Brooke must have come to the big city from waaaaaaaaay out of town because she left the window of her car down when she got home. Maybe she has a thing about windows.

I'm sure there is more than one killer or there's at least a killer and a killer groupie. The nameless hit & not run victim was missing an ear. If camp nurse really worked in an ER you'd think she would have checked the guy over for injuries. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Anela said:

Was that the Summer show in 2016, set at a Summer camp? I was busy with real-life worries, but watched that a few times (and it was bad). 

I'm also reading that book, finally, after buying it during the Spring of last year. I started in August, but am taking it slowly, because I made the mistake of taking it to the beach, and reading about a murder, when I was supposed to be relaxing, didn't work at all. 

I have this episode recorded, but haven't watched it yet. 

Yes, very similar plotline. Bad Things happened many years ago but the camp was reopened anyway (hey, what could possibly go wrong?) and of course the same Bad Things started happening again.

At least you were reading I'll Be Gone in the Dark in broad daylight! It's a very creepy book  (which I mean as high praise). It kind of left me unimpressed with the Night Stalker; in fact its focus is on what the book calls the Original Night Stalker b/c he did some of his crimes before the Night Stalker of the 80s.

Forgot to mention it was a hoot to see Matthew Morrison in such an un-Mr. Schue-like role 🙃

• Love 3
2 hours ago, skotnikov said:

Still Nr 1 cable show on We, and the highest ranked FX show. 

Yup. Well for now some Wrestling shows will be on Weds now and they could become the top cable show. 

4 hours ago, skotnikov said:

I maybe one of the few who thinks that AHS improves with every new season. "Cult" was amazing and is very underestimated.

I liked Cult when it involved Evan Peters and all that he did. Sarah Paulson was way too annoying though.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, sashayshante said:

There's no way they're going to be able to sustain the slasher movie trope theme for 10 episodes. There has to be a twist, right? Because that was painful, and i;m not just talking about Gus Kentworthy's acting.

I was just coming here to say the same. I grew up in the height of the slasher film era. I loved them. This was just boring. Retread of old tropes and adding nothing new or particularly entertaining. 

I have loved every season so far, so I’ll give it a few episodes, but this is the worst start of all of them. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:
  On 9/18/2019 at 11:30 PM, sashayshante said:

The scene where Kenworthy took off his shirt to show off his bod was such blatant pandering to the gay male viewership. The question is whether that was to parody an 80's movie or a direction by Murphy.

All of I know is that seeing all his tats covered up made me miss the days when jock boys weren't covering themselves in tats like they are now. One of my favorite things about watching cheesy 1980's horror movies- the guys are often pretty hot and usually tat-free, although you usually have to deal with a mullet.

I generally love 1980's cheesy slasher movies so I'm having fun, for now. I hope they don't go with Brooke being the killer- I'm already thinking it because of Scream 4.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I think that Emma Roberts' character (can't remember her name) totally hallucinated the attack in her bedroom.  I also think that there are likely multiple killers with different agendas at work. Emma Roberts' character might just be one of the killers.

We're sharing the same brain (so far). I definitely felt like she hallucinated being chased by murderers. I do think it's highly possible she's one of the killers. Her outward appearance suggests one of innocence, but that's why I'm leaning in the opposite direction. 

• Love 5

Silly question -- but one of my favorites of AHS was/is "Hotel".  Did they bring back the same actor to play NightStalker?  Because the cast of Hotel was brilliant (I mean everyone including the serial killers).

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I don't know why, but I have zero nostalgia for the 80's teen slasher movies or this fascination with real life serial killers. They used to say Star Wars/Blazing Saddles killed off all the westerns and I think Scream and the Scream parodies did it for me for horror.

My lovely city spawned John Wayne Gacy who supposedly inspired Stephen King to write IT.  Clowns are now very uncool. Then we had the Tylenol murders (which may or may not be solved depending on how much tin is in your hat). Top that with a job in the 90's on the south side of Chicago during a wave of violence that rivals today's and I'm burnt.  I truly want to love this. The commercials on TV, the makeup, the godawful styles are great. They really nailed the feeling of that era. And, for full disclosure, I actually worked in a mall in the late 80's and had a semi mullet. Yep.

I'm going to hang in there and hope that the story will surprise me.

I was put off true crime, in my twenties, because of nightmares and things I'd experienced myself (not murder, but other things). I still like movies like "Scream", though. Friday the 13th was one that I was never a fan of, but I'm giving this a shot. I prefer ghost stories. 

12 hours ago, FoundTime said:

At least you were reading I'll Be Gone in the Dark in broad daylight! It's a very creepy book  (which I mean as high praise). It kind of left me unimpressed with the Night Stalker; in fact its focus is on what the book calls the Original Night Stalker b/c he did some of his crimes before the Night Stalker of the 80s.

I keep picking it up, and putting it back down, because true crime books/shows freak me out now. I used to watch the TV movies, when I was younger, but after I read Ann Rule's book about Bundy, I started to have nightmares, and stopped paying attention to it all. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Captanne said:

Silly question -- but one of my favorites of AHS was/is "Hotel".  Did they bring back the same actor to play NightStalker?  Because the cast of Hotel was brilliant (I mean everyone including the serial killers).

No its a different actor ..... so it can either mean they are pulling a Roanoke or that in the 84 he would have looked a lot younger then what he looked like when he died in 2014 so they cast a younger actor to play him or that she was Imagining what the night stalker would look like and she was never attacked at all and it was in her head...... only time will tell 🙂

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 2
On 9/19/2019 at 10:11 AM, Avaleigh said:

I don't think I've ever seen John Carroll Lynch not play a psycho whether it's movies or TV. He's always fun to watch.

He was great in very different roles in The Drew Carey Show and that movie Anything opposite Matt Bomer.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:05 AM, kokapetl said:

Cody Fern is remarkably untoned for an aerobics instructor. 

Not if the aerobics instructor is Olivia Newton John, whom I think his look is patterned after.

I have to admit, I think Emma Roberts is doing the best job so far. Who knew she could play anything besides a rich Mean Girl? I'm seeing a bit of improvement in Leslie Grossman's and Billie Lourd's performances, but those are more than offset by Matthew Morrison and Cody Fern falling far short of their usual level. Gus is hot and skimpily dressed, which is all I expected from him.

Didn't we see a glimpse of Ramirez being all stalkery when Brooke wasn't aware of him? That would mean he's actually present at the camp, right? Though he'd have to be clairvoyant to follow an intended victim there.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I have to admit, I think Emma Roberts is doing the best job so far. Who knew she could play anything besides a rich Mean Girl? I'm seeing a bit of improvement in Leslie Grossman's and Billie Lourd's performances, but those are more than offset by Matthew Morrison and Cody Fern falling far short of their usual level. Gus is hot and skimpily dressed, which is all I expected from him.

Leslie Grossman doesn't do a thing for me, but I agree with the rest, especially Billie Lourd, who is finally showing a bit of range. And while I understand what some people might see in Cody Fern, he was awful in Apocalypse and he's awful here. 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Leslie Grossman doesn't do a thing for me, but I agree with the rest, especially Billie Lourd, who is finally showing a bit of range. And while I understand what some people might see in Cody Fern, he was awful in Apocalypse and he's awful here. 

Cody Fern is incredibly bad.

• Love 3

I am actually liking the show. I have some theories. 1- Emma Roberts is definitely a bad guy because NO ONE named Brooke would have had hair that was THAT flat in 1984. My mind is decided.

2- I think that maybe Booth is Mr Jiggles' daughter. 

3- It has Grampy Winchester in it so I'm here for the season. Love Mitch Pileggi even if I can't spell his last name.

4- I preferred this episode to episode 1 of Cult, Roanoke AND Apocalypse. I really hated Cult though, so there is that.

5- I should have had wine with the cheese and will hopefully remember that next week.

6- The hiker dude looked like he just stepped out of 1970. I'm wondering if the twist will be that there are alien abductions again. 

17 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

If Ms. Camp Owner is missing her ear, how do her glasses stay up? 

She stapled them on. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Bali said:

have some theories. 1- Emma Roberts is definitely a bad guy because NO ONE named Brooke would have had hair that was THAT flat in 1984. My mind is decided.

See, it's this kind of brilliant reasoning that I come here for. You are totally correct.

• Love 11
On 9/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, Avaleigh said:

I don't think I've ever seen John Carroll Lynch not play a psycho whether it's movies or TV. He's always fun to watch.

I first saw him in Fargo as Norm Gunderson, where the craziest thing he did was submitting artwork to the Postal stamp contest. Ever since then he's played some real sickos.  Love him!

Edited by Razzberry
  • Love 4

Love Mitch Pileggi even if I can't spell his last name.

YES. My user name is a tribute to both Walter Skinner and Walter White. I've had the good fortune to meet both and they are amazing.  I never really liked MP's Supernatural character, but a relative of the boys is always a good thing.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Not if the aerobics instructor is Olivia Newton John, whom I think his look is patterned after.

I think it was a riff on Jamie Lee Curtis in Perfect. They actually make a reference to it in the episode. It's when Dakota says she was inspired to do aerobics after reading an article in Rolling Stone.  The movie Perfect is about a Rolling Stone reporter who does an expose on the aerobics craze. The gym Xavier teaches at is even calls The Perfect Bod or something like that.

I thought Cody Fern was the best thing about ACS Versace after Darren Criss. I also enjoyed him in Apocalypse, at least before they turned the anti-christ into a man-child. I think he's quite talented, but he needs to get his head out of Ryan Murphy's ass. Xavier is looking to be yet another androgynous sexually ambiguous character. That seems to be the only role Murphy will give him.

All in all, what has me most "meh" about this season is the cast. Other than Anjelica Ross (Rita), it doesn't seem like anyone there was cast based on their talent. It's all nepotism. That wouldn't be so bad if any of them could act beyond the one-note character they play every season.   I'm very salty that Emma Roberts is the lead when she was charged with domestic abuse. I just do not get why  Ryan Murphy keeps rewarding her with roles in his projects.

Also meant to add that they made a point to show a close-up of the van's license plate - VANTACY or something like that. Between that and the fact that the initial cast announcement trailer was set to I Can Dream About You, I'm wondering if maybe the first couple episodes are a dream or a movie within a movie.

Edited by sashayshante
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

If Ms. Camp Owner is missing her ear, how do her glasses stay up? 

1980s hairspray. If Mr. Jingles tries to collect ears this time around he'll dull his knife sawing through all the Aqua Netted feathers.

• LOL 17
14 hours ago, Captanne said:

11 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

No its a different actor ..... so it can either mean they are pulling a Roanoke or that in the 84 he would have looked a lot younger then what he looked like when he died in 2014 so they cast a younger actor to play him or that she was Imagining what the night stalker would look like and she was never attacked at all and it was in her head...... only time will tell 🙂

It’s possible the actor they got for Hotel wasn’t available and that the roll might be a larger one so is needed more then a days work.   

• Love 1

I have the feeling this season will be compared a lot to Stranger Things for which show does the 80s retro thing better.

Nice opening kill in the 1970 flashback.  Of course Mr. Jingles ruins a perfectly good threesome, a call-back to countless potentially great teenage sex scenes sadly cut short by a hatchet or a machete.  Gotta hate those serial killers.

When the boss counselor guy was bragging about being in the Jane Fonda workout video and all that, and mentioned Coca Cola commercials, I wish he had said Pepsi.  It's just a small thing, Coke did ads in the 80s too.  But whenever I think 80s I think Pepsi because they were doing a huge add push in the middle of that decade with Michael Jackson and the Pepsi challenge.  The 80s was the Pepsi decade.

The scene at the insane asylum was totally ripped out of Halloween.

I guess there is going to be a WWE-style battle of the serial killers with the Night Stalker showing up.  I wonder if the Zodiac killer will make an appearance later.

• Love 2

Finally saw the episode.  Coming at it from an AHS newbie perspective I have no previous seasons or this actor was better as so and so perspective.  I don't know if that skews me to like it more or less.

I did like it though, not loved it, somewhere in the middle.  Somewhere around the level of "Not fascinated and enthralled but not bored or finding that time was dragging".   If it keeps up like this I'd probably call it an escapist show good enough to watch for the one season it will be on but probably happy it isn't a multi-season show..........although even then I don't know how they're going to maintain for 10 episodes, that seems long.

The clothes and styles were spot on and I liked the music which, so far, they're tying nicely using songs with lyrics that really fit each scene.  I have a feeling some of that music may also be trying to give us a clue but that might be reading too much into it.   My first thought on the "villain", besides Mr Jingles is that it's Margaret.  Again newbie here so whether AHS screws around with time and doesn't show things as a linear story I don't know but.......If linear than obviously Mr Jingles didn't cut the kids ear off (the one they hit with the van) and he's not the person in the car that turned the headlights on and scared Montana.  Because (again if linear) he hadn't escaped when all that happened.   I think Margaret is the obvious choice.....survivor of massacre grows up crazy and twisted and becomes the killer she escaped.... but that's almost to obvious and easy so it's probably a red herring.

• Love 3

I went down a wiki rat hole with a theory that the Night Stalker actor was different because Brooke imagined it based on a police sketch. 

They are being really sloppy with the Night Stalker references.  The show referenced the only 1984 murder* as "a couple days ago" but the way they are talking about the Night Stalker this show would be set in late 1985 (but Olympics in 1984).  The Night Stalker's dialogue when he was in Brooke's apartment was basically lifted from the wiki entries about the last crime that led to his arrest.

I don't think there is anything about the realism of the Night Stalker attacking Brooke or being at the camp that points to whether or not she's a reliable narrator or sane or crazy.  There is too much license being taken to make the the height of the fear around the Night Stalker happen in the same summer as Friday 13th the Final Chapter and A Nightmare on Elm Street came out.

I do think they may have lifted Mr. Jingles backstory from the same wiki page.

*Ignoring the actual first that they didn't tie to him until the 2000s.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, sashayshante said:

I think it was a riff on Jamie Lee Curtis in Perfect. They actually make a reference to it in the episode. It's when Dakota says she was inspired to do aerobics after reading an article in Rolling Stone.  The movie Perfect is about a Rolling Stone reporter who does an expose on the aerobics craze. The gym Xavier teaches at is even calls The Perfect Bod or something like that.

This was who I thought of, too.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I went down a wiki rat hole with a theory that the Night Stalker actor was different because Brooke imagined it based on a police sketch. 

They are being really sloppy with the Night Stalker references.  The show referenced the only 1984 murder* as "a couple days ago" but the way they are talking about the Night Stalker this show would be set in late 1985 (but Olympics in 1984).  The Night Stalker's dialogue when he was in Brooke's apartment was basically lifted from the wiki entries about the last crime that led to his arrest.

I don't think there is anything about the realism of the Night Stalker attacking Brooke or being at the camp that points to whether or not she's a reliable narrator or sane or crazy.  

AHS hasn't been accurate on many historical facts. They slip and slide around the feeling of the era instead of this happened, then this.

Cody Fern usually promotes his projects on his Insta. The only time he didn't was for House of Cards, and he was very public about how disappointed he was with that experience. Aside from the cast trailer back in July, he hasn't said a peep. Someone posted a video of them all together watching the premiere and he looked less than enthused. Emma Roberts wasn't with them.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Catgyrl said:

Did anyone else recognize the gas station attendant? It was Don Swayze, Patrick's extremely-unfortunate-looking brother.

Thank you for this! I didn't know Patrick Swayze had a brother and the entire time I kept looking at him and remarking how much he looked like Patrick Swayze and how eerie it was. But no one here brought up the resemblance and I thought I was going nuts, lol.

I love cheesy horror flicks so I'm happy with this season. This is probably the most excited I've been for an AHS season in years. 

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, TexasGal said:

I miss the credits too.  I think I can hear a variation on that creepy, record scratchy sound that's been in all the songs but it's just not the same. 

I am glad they switched that out. I always ff'd through because it creeped the hell out of me.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, ClareWalks said:

I will say this, Matthew Morrison plays a (literally) cocky bastard extremely well.

So cheesy 80's porn with the mustache and short shorts guys used to wear back then.

I never know where AHS is gonna go so I just sit back and enjoy the ride. I will Evan Peters though.

• Love 2
On 9/21/2019 at 1:23 PM, jewel21 said:

Thank you for this! I didn't know Patrick Swayze had a brother and the entire time I kept looking at him and remarking how much he looked like Patrick Swayze and how eerie it was. But no one here brought up the resemblance and I thought I was going nuts, lol.

I knew him from an episode of Cold Case he did. I wouldn't call him extremely unfortunate-looking, just as average looking guy with similar features to his brother that didn't quite come together as well as Patrick's did. He just has a skeevier look.

• Love 4

My view of the different seasons is that I found s1 good, also s2, I dropped out of s3 towards the end. My favorite is s4. I didn´t like Hotel (sometimes it was great but overall it wasn´t) or Roanoke (dropped out of Roanoke after 2 or 3 episodes and basically hate it) and I forgot to watch the latter half of last season. I don´t know if I´m forgetting something, seems like it since the numbers aren´t adding up, but that just means I didn´t like that season and have forgotten it completely. Having said all this, I found the start of this season to be really enjoyable and fun, if it keeps on being like this (with more twists and stuff for the storyline) it will become a definite favorite of mine. Not being too hopeful though, since I´ll probably have to drop out at some point.

p.s Patrick Swayze´s brother is hot, not unfortunate looking in the least!

Edited by halkatla
  • Love 1
On 9/19/2019 at 2:46 PM, luna1122 said:

I like this so far, but I liked Roanoke, so many would tell me I have no standards. I don't expect a lot from it, anymore, but I think it's fun. I'm also surprised by so many saying Billie Lourd only plays one note, as this season's character isn't remotely, to me, like previous ones. She does often play a monotone, disaffected, dead eyed sort (kind of hilariously) but Montana is vivacious and gossipy and fun loving.

It is funny I enjoyed Roanoke as well, but nobody seemed to like it.  I also hated Hotel with a passion (it was the only season I did not watch until the end) and nearly everyone who watches the show loves that season.  In fact, I get a ton of hate for saying I hate Hotel on another forum I post on.

On 9/20/2019 at 7:55 PM, WaltersHair said:

YES. My user name is a tribute to both Walter Skinner and Walter White. I've had the good fortune to meet both and they are amazing.  I never really liked MP's Supernatural character, but a relative of the boys is always a good thing.

I have watched Supernatural from the very first episode and for some reason I completely forgot that Mitch was on there and played Sam and Dean's grandfather.  To me Mitch will always be Skinner.  In fact, the moment he showed up on screen during this episode I said to myself, "Oh cool Skinner is on here!"

I love 80's Slasher movies so I do have sort of high hopes for this season.  I did not find anything egregiously bad about the first episode.  Then again I did not think it was great either.  As someone said before, I am getting a Slasher (Canadian show) vibe from this and those shows were always entertaining to me.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, BK1978 said:

It is funny I enjoyed Roanoke as well, but nobody seemed to like it.  I also hated Hotel with a passion (it was the only season I did not watch until the end) and nearly everyone who watches the show loves that season.  In fact, I get a ton of hate for saying I hate Hotel on another forum I post on.

Right there with you. Loved Roanoke, didn't finish Hotel. That was also the only season I didn't finish. 

• Love 4

I watched this over the weekend and enjoyed the setting and pastiche of 1980's slasher movies.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:35 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Anyway my early guess for the season is  that Mr Jingles isn’t the actual killer.  He escapes from the mental institution to protect the camp not actually kill anyone. (besides the poor gas station guy). It’s Margaret Booth who is the killer who kills campers who have sex because she is obsessed with morality.

Yes, those occurring before Mr Jingle's clever escape did not slip past my notice.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:39 AM, TVFan17 said:

So, really, I was convincing myself that everyone who seemed suspicious to me must not really be guilty, because they could be too obvious... which sent me back to the drawing board to wonder who else is sort of flying under the radar, but still has a big enough role to warrant screen time.

Why can't it be like Clue and everyone ends up killing someone?

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Brooke must have come to the big city from waaaaaaaaay out of town because she left the window of her car down when she got home. Maybe she has a thing about windows. 

I noticed she didn't lock her car door when she parked at her apartment in the bad neighborhood and then left her window open after telling someone that's how people gain access to homes.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2019 at 7:22 PM, Catgyrl said:

Did anyone else recognize the gas station attendant? It was Don Swayze, Patrick's extremely-unfortunate-looking brother.

He actually used to look exactly like Patrick. I remember about a year or two after Dirty Dancing, my mom and I saw Don doing a guest stint on some TV show and couldn't stop marveling over the resemblance. We had had no idea Patrick had a brother until then.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:59 PM, Dobian said:

When the boss counselor guy was bragging about being in the Jane Fonda workout video and all that, and mentioned Coca Cola commercials, I wish he had said Pepsi.  It's just a small thing, Coke did ads in the 80s too.  But whenever I think 80s I think Pepsi because they were doing a huge add push in the middle of that decade with Michael Jackson and the Pepsi challenge.  The 80s was the Pepsi decade.

That may have been the point, he wasn't in the more famous ad campaign, for the hotter soda. (Though I personally was always a Coke drinker!)

I didn't know and am quite pleased to see that Orla Brady is in this season. I hope her character lasts a while. It took me a moment to place DeRon Horton without the glasses he wears as Lionel for Dear White People. He and Brooke seemed to be flirting when she was tending to his hand, so maybe despite being a black guy in a '80s slasher flick parody/homage he'll survive longer than the first act.

I am thinking there'll only be a few episodes at the sleeper camp and then the action moves back to LA. There isn't enough at the camp to sustain a season of episodes, especially given how quickly the action's going, and the season is titled 1984, not Sleepaway Camp or some such. I think the Night Stalker thing is an indication the season will be about various horrors of the era. If so, I expect AIDS will make an appearance.

• Love 2