Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Thunder Away

chitowngirl

Complicated???  You got a fired lawyer using a former lawyer of her firm to sue the boss of her former firm, while she's being defended by the attorneys of her former firm, and one of the attorneys of the firm is actually working for the plaintiff because she wants to help the firm.  Can we go ER and just have someone have some illicit sex in a closet or something?

If Faye is successful in dismantling the firm, would it be possible for Spector Litt to start up as another firm?

I liked Louis and Harvey actually having real conversations, and still throwing movie references in there.  "Who the hell is Goose?"

You know, somewhere along the line, I would have thought that Fave would report back to the NY State Bar on what was going on, and they would be sending other investigators to check up on some of the things that she has alleged.  So far, she's been the Lone Ranger here. 

Not one reference to Rachel, even when Samantha met with Robert Zane.  Maybe they got a telegram from Buckingham Palace - "We are not amused."

I thought a subpoena had to be delivered by a process server.

Harvey was a pissbucket as a kid.

• LOL 1

Harvey and Louis did a good job of using Faye's prior bad history in court.  I liked the moot court where they basically told her that all the bad shit was coming out at the trial.  That was hilarious. Denise Crosby was excellent portraying Faye's anger as she lost control over her attorneys and the case.

I really liked the Mike and Harvey interaction in the bar.  

No sh*t! If you think this week is complicated, wait until next Weds when the trial, Louis' wedding and the whole f*cking series has to be wrapped up!

Profanity lovingly applied as an homage to the writers. Lol

• Love 1

Mike again, Robert again, probably Marcus' last appearance.  You'd think this show was winding down and wrapping things up.

Actually, I liked this one.  Two in a row, go figure.  I cheered out loud when Mike used his eidetic memory in exactly the way he should. "Yes, your honor, but six paragraphs down is a clause which they conveniently didn't mention..." and he goes on to quote the entire thing, blasting a hole in Harvey and Louis' argument.  Nice.

I still can't figure out the deal with the devil.  If Samantha beats Faye, Faye is gone.  So Faye hires Harvey and Lous, because if she wins, she'll leave.  Or something.  It sounds to me like either way, Faye is gone.  Also, so much angst because Harvey and Louis can't tell anyone, and apparently they're even barred from saying that they can't tell anyone.  That's the only part I didn't like.

Oh, and Katrina getting sacked.  That was a bummer.  I wonder if they'll fight as hard for her job as they're fighting for Samantha's.

Mike did mention Rachel at least once.  In passing, he mentioned something she'd said, I think.

Yeah, Harvey was a little shit.  His greatest game, but Mom ruined the entire thing by telling him that Dad would be there, and then Dad wasn't.  Right, this is all Mom's fault.  Totally ruined everything.

16 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Not one reference to Rachel, even when Samantha met with Robert Zane.  Maybe they got a telegram from Buckingham Palace - "We are not amused."

13 minutes ago, Orbert said:

Mike did mention Rachel at least once.  In passing, he mentioned something she'd said, I think.

Yeah, something about Rachel's only regret being not seeing Donna and Harvey together. It made Rachel look really lame.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Orbert said:

I still can't figure out the deal with the devil.

I think Faye is hellbent on tearing the firm apart even if it means destroying relationships instead of disbanding it. So she can't break it up but she can't stand to lose so she'll tear it apart from the inside, out.

13 minutes ago, Orbert said:

She was bummed about not being able to see Harvey and Donna as a couple. Which makes no sense since she is still around in the Suits universe and they could have just as easily said she is looking forward to seeing them soon when they come to visit (or H & D go to visit).

14 minutes ago, Orbert said:

Yeah, Harvey was a little shit.  His greatest game, but Mom ruined the entire thing by telling him that Dad would be there, and then Dad wasn't.  Right, this is all Mom's fault.  Totally ruined everything.

Teenagers are a lot of things, logical and rational is not one of them.

Ah, that's right.  Rachel was sad because she'll never see Harvey and Donna as a couple.  I remember thinking that that's dumb because she or they could always visit.  But in the writers' heads, it will never happen because she married a foreign prince and retired from acting.  So it's even dumber.  It's both dumb and dumber.

19 hours ago, edhopper said:

My only question, do we see Jessica next week?

One more appearance from Jessica would be very cool!  Truly take things back to the beginning.  Wait... maybe not, if that also means seeing Daniel Hardman again.  Tough call.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Orbert said:

I cheered out loud when Mike used his eidetic memory in exactly the way he should. "Yes, your honor, but six paragraphs down is a clause which they conveniently didn't mention..." and he goes on to quote the entire thing, blasting a hole in Harvey and Louis' argument.  Nice.

Yeah, it was - but.....wouldn't a competent judge checked to see if he was indeed right?  She just took him at his word. 

These magic brown file folders filled with nefarious dealings get pulled out, tossed on a table and, with barely a glance inside, the receiver has read, understood and deciphered all the information.

21 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I still can't figure out the deal with the devil.

This is how I understood it:

If Havey and Louis win by defending Faye on the up and up (translation:  nothing unethical or illegal) then Faye will determine that the firm has learned their lesson, has redeemed themselves and will leave.  The only caveat is that they can't tell Samantha/Mike because then they'll obviously not give it their all in court and will WANT to lose if only to get rid of Faye.  Basically - Harvey and Louis have to pull out all stops legally to win no matter what Sam/Mike throw at them.  That will prove to Faye that they can operate/defend people without having to resort to questionable tactics

22 hours ago, Orbert said:

Oh, and Katrina getting sacked.  That was a bummer. 

But much deserved - especially her tushy-ripping from Harvey.  Faye obviously isn't an idiot and figured out that someone leaked info from the closed moot court.  Katrina really overstepped her bounds, not to mention she's been a stickler for doing things ethically, so conspiring against the firm was a pretty idiot move on her part.  If not for the fact that she went to Faye and confessed in order to get Louis and Havey our from under suspicion, her interference could've sunk the entire deal

Harvey's temper problem apparently started when he was a kid. If only that had been nipped in the bud back then.

An odd mention of Rachel. Guess that heads off any possibility that the Duchess of Sussex filmed a secret scene for the finale when she visited NYC a little while ago. Guess we'll have to settle for Jessica maybe.

So it all comes down to hatred. I dunno, something about Harvey's attack on Faye in the mock court seemed kind of misogynistic to me. And I'm not sure it would've been any better if a woman had delivered that diatribe. Faye may be repugnant but it's not necessarily because she's a bitter old woman.

Katrina is not so smart. Why would she confess knowing what Faye has already done? Faye has proven she cannot be trusted and makes life-altering  snap decisions in the heat of the moment.

Yeesh, it might be easier just to put a hit out on Faye. I'm sure Louis knows a guy who knows a guy who can, uh, get certain things done for a price.

I know Suits doesn't take the legal system seriously but this trial must have set a record for mistakes in the series. The opening statements were argumentative, several objections were neither sustained or overruled, the opposing counsels had long open conversations between each other in front of the jury, and Mike introduced privileged information from an unidentified source as evidence. The bailiff should have checked to see if the judge was still alive because he or she was not doing their job. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am happy to say that I have not seen one episode this year and possibly only one last season. I am sad that Pearson might not get another season when they let this one limp along and should have been cancelled 4 seasons ago.  Harvey and Donna ..ugh 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:54 PM, Dowel Jones said:

I thought a subpoena had to be delivered by a process server.

Technically, in California at least, it cannot be served by hand by a PARTY to the action.  Attorneys are not parties and have been known to serve documents on opposing counsel in open court.  That being said - who the hell thinks a judge is going to let a subpoena to the attorney for the defendant stand?  

On 9/21/2019 at 4:19 PM, scowl said:

I know Suits doesn't take the legal system seriously but this trial must have set a record for mistakes in the series. The opening statements were argumentative, several objections were neither sustained or overruled, the opposing counsels had long open conversations between each other in front of the jury, and Mike introduced privileged information from an unidentified source as evidence. The bailiff should have checked to see if the judge was still alive because he or she was not doing their job. 

Oh, and not to mention the DEFENSE was starting the proceedings - they went right from openings to her asking HARVEY to "call his first witness."  

• Useful 1

1. Can't they just dissolve the firm and start up a new one? Or call Faith's bluff, let her dissolve it and start a new firm?

2.  Why did they have a moot court with the members of the firm? What possible information could have come from it that would help the case? All they were doing was risking the information getting out.

3.  Katrina was wrong to tell Mike about the moot court. But why did Mike use the information? There was no way Faye wasn't going to hold someone accountable.  Also, it's a terrible legal argument.