Type keyword(s) to search

Future Co-Hosts Talk and Speculation: Musical Chairs

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

Well, it's not the first time Sherri has spilled the beans early before.

Yeah, what are they gonna do?  Fire her?

Whoopi sure had a cob up her butt today over something.  I guess she doesn't approve of Sippy.

Can you blame her?  Sippy Cupp is like a worst possible case.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3
Yeah, what are they gonna do?  Fire her?

Remember this from high school (or later)?   That's what SHE said.

I've noticed...you have too, that Sherri can't contain herself.  Everything shows on her face.  She was grinning and glowing on Monday even before Whoopi announced that Sherri had a message.  She was probably quivering in her chair...hardly able to bring those "glass slippers" to the table for her Big Announcement.

• Love 3

If it's true that Bill Wolff (MSNBC VP & TRMS EP) is coming in as the new EP of The View, I wonder if that increases the odds of a Nicole Wallace joining the panel and not a Sippy Cupp? If he is in fact coming onboard, I hope they bring him in soon enough to be involved in casting.

• Love 2

You've clearly never seen her on Morning Joe. She is a screeching lunatic on that show. Everything is Obama's fault and he's the worst president ever. Iraq is Obama's fault. Not her boss's for invading the country for no reason, etc. Considering she worked for W that's a bit rich. Not to mention she tried to get Palin elected as VP. She should be ridiculued every time she tries to offer a political opinion on anything.

• Love 9

"Oh no! If Palin is hired that would be the end of my watching this show. I don't care how many sparks she makes. I don't know if I even would want to read about the show anymore."

Agreed! I would watch a panel of five Sherri Shepherds before I would watch this woman heehawing for an hour.

• Love 4

Oh no! If Palin is hired that would be the end of my watching this show. I don't care how many sparks she makes. I don't know if I even would want to read about the show anymore.

If Palin was hired she would quit mid year..... she has history of doing that dontchaknow

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 7

If Sunny is the frontrunner, any hope for a better show is gone. I could take a resident eyeroll-worthy conservative, but not this woman.

I don't know who Lauren Sanchez is, but one of those articles said she lost to Lisa Ling. I hope they cast her rather than Sunny; I'm assuming she's better because the casting was much better back when Lisa, Star, etc. were on.

I think it will be Hostin/Wallace. I don't know what Wallace's marital status is or if she has a child or even if she's willing to live in NYC but she certainly looked like she wanted the job.

She would have to already be in NYC since she is a guest host on Morning Joe..... I did like her as a host on The View.... I can see he being reigned in if she starts ranting without facts to back her up

Did she ever practice Law?

She worked for the DOJ as a trial attorney in the Antitrust and Child Sex Crimes divisions. IMO, as a TH dissecting trials, she too often relates issues to race; maybe she'll tone that down now. But it seems to be a large part of her persona, so we shall see.

If Palin was hired she would quit mid year..... she has history of doing that dontchaknow

You're right Roger, the half governor would be the half co-host! It occurred to me that she is putting this out there herself, even though they aren't considering her. When the real co-hosts are hired, she will go around bashing the lame stream media for being afraid to hire her.

• Love 5

Will Barbara still be involved with the show? Was she bought out? Did I read this here?

Barbara sold her 51% of the show.... but she will always be considered creative producer..... or something like that.... but as far as I know she has no more input on the show

• Love 2
I think what's missing from the equation is how much power Rosie will have.

...and it will be interesting to see how the equation changes: the power that Rosie's given vs. the power she will demand...or just run with.

• Love 1

Or Geddie, Lol.

I happen to think Palin will never be hired - and the rest of the conservatives, perhaps some - but Whoopi will need to step it up - and Rosie tone it down.

OTOH - looks like this will be somewhat political next season.

Can't see Rosie talking about gossip, reality shows, and sex. Or any of them really - whoever is at the table. Not even Whoopi that seems quite natural about it; as in you don't need to portray yourself as gorgeous or sexy to indulge in it.

Rosie will watch a reality show and Tweet about it, but then she moves on, and sticks to more scripted stuff or documentaries. I used to love on her old show when she would just talk about what she had watched on TV the night before and that's why I like her on The View: her ability to talk about serious issues but then also the lighter stuff. I much prefer that to Whoopi, who says she can't watch reality TV because she is busy reading Madame Bovary or something. And Rosie will tweet about stuff like Lohan, so I think she will be willing to play ball with some celeb gossip.

• Love 5

I don't see why any of those tryout harpies have to be hired.  Why not go with some unknowns?  Unknown to the audience, anyway.  I had never heard of Lisa Ling before she tried out, albeit she did try out.  But I maintain that I don't think the audience knew her very well at all by the time she was hired.  We already know Whoopi and Rosie, and because they are on, I am willing to try to get to know new panelists, provided they have the right chemistry.  I don't care about their political leanings unless of course the screeching gives me a headache in which case I will leave just like I did before.

• Love 2

I see that argument a lot, go with some unknowns, and I pretty much have no idea who any of the people trying out are except Wallace. It's not like it's an all star lineup like an American Idol or AGT panel. I knew Lisa though, because she was on Channel One and I was in school during that period. Star was on Inside Edition and had her own show before The View. Debbie was a true unknown, and that lasted like a week. Plus, television is just so much more competitive now and this is a last ditch effort to save the brand, they aren't going to cast people without experience.

I wonder if they will announce another big name, or if they will go with two smaller names though.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 2

Wouldn't it be fun if the meeting with Rosie and Whoopi were taped for later broadcast?  I bet there's a lot of maneuvering there...and a lot of laughter and cynicism about the various "potentials."   If S.E. Cupp is selected after her little dust-up with Whoopi, I'll be surprised (but not pleasantly).

• Love 2

I don't believe everything I read. I would bet Hostin gets the job. Even if you don't like her lawyer-like approach to things sh'e got several things going for her.  To select Gonzalez over her doesn't seem correct. Wallace is too much a political pro.

I have to say this isn't what I expected. I thought it would be lighter?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2719605/Shake-The-View-Tw o-relative-unknowns-chosen-seats-vacated-Jenny-McCarthy-Sherri-Shepherd.html

Thanks for that link @Brownstone.Muir .

Here it is:

Shake-up at The View: Two relative unknowns chosen to fill seats vacated by Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd

By TOPPER TOUSSAINT FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 22:51 EST, 7 August 2014 | UPDATED: 23:41 EST, 7 August 2014

It is one of the hottest gigs in daytime television.

And MailOnline can reveal that producers of The View will surprise audiences next season, when they replace axed hosts Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd with two relative unknowns.

Political commentator Nicolle Wallace and October Gonzalez (wife of NFL star Tony) are expected to join Whoopi Goldberg in September.

A show insider reveals that October 'didn't audition. She was herself. She was the real deal'.

Producers are said to have tested around a dozen female hosts to find replacements, including political anlyst Ana Navarro, Bloomberg TV managing editor Stephanie Ruhle and ESPN anchor Sage Steele.

The show insider added that ABC was close to bringing CNN legal eagle Sunny Hostin to the show, but CNN boss Jeff Zucker put a stop to it.

Commentator S.E. Cupp was also considered but is said to have clashed with Whoopi.

'Whoopi told her that her approach was just like Elisabeth Hasselbeck, which did not sit well,' according to the show insider.

Today, Jenny McCarthy said a tearful goodbye to viewers on the chat show, as she bid the audience farewell after just a year on the panel.

Interesting. I have no idea who October Gonzalez is and I wonder why they would choose her if she's never guest-hosted or appeared on the show before. That certainly is a different move for The View. If they did some private auditions today with Whoopi and Rosie, they obviously wanted to keep the hiring of Gonzalez a secret, or a surprise, but first wanted to test her out a bit to see how she worked with Whoopi and Rosie. She must have done a great job if they made the decision so quickly today.

One of our regular posters, sorry I can't remember who, has said at least once that she thought the co-hosts would be people who were not openly auditioning as guest co-hosts. So, that appears to be the case with at least one of the new co-hosts.

After I read here that the new producer is from MSNBC, I figured Nicole Wallace would be hired.

Edited by LuckyBitch

Bill Wolff has worked with Wallace, as she has appeared on The Rachel Maddow Show a few times. She may be unbearable on Morning Joe but she's very different on TRMS. While she worked at MSNBC, the only prime time show to include Sippy Cupp was The Last Word (which seems to feature a lot of the daytime MSNBC hosts).

I'd like to think that gives an advantage to the reasonable Wallace and cuts off Cupp's chances.

• Love 2

Whoopi Takes Shot at Barbara During Heated Test Show

Rosie O'Donnell got into a heated showdown over abortion with CNN's S.E. Cupp during a 'View' test show taping with Whoopi Goldberg ... who ended up taking a thinly-veiled shot at Barbara Walters.

Production sources at "The View" tell us Cupp -- who's vying for the conservative role on the show -- had a "nasty" debate yesterday over the Australian couple making headlines for asking their surrogate to abort a Down syndrome baby. 

We're told things escalated when Whoopi jumped in and asked Cupp if she ever had to make a decision about abortion. That shut everyone up momentarily ... until Rosie chastised Cupp, saying she didn't want another Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

Here's where Babs comes in.  After the taping ... Whoopi -- in front of producers and several potential replacement hosts -- said she'd been "working with a cranky 85-year-old woman who's mad about everything for 2 years, and I need a break."

• Love 4

I can see Zucker blocking the Cupp move especially if she's now seen as more "valuable." But the Rosie/Whoopi gang up seems to filter out those who can stand up to them or shrink away. If October is a non entity but managed to stand her ground, it's a good sign for her.

• Love 1

As terrible as it sounds, I actually want S.E. Cupp to be hired now - if only because it sounds like it will make the show entertaining. ABC knows that viewers are coming in for drama.**

I kind of love that Whoopi said that about Barbara - we've all long suspected that she's been going through the motions for years. Guess now we have the confirmation. She does seem more 'energized' now that Barbara is gone.

** = That being said, how about hiring a pro-choice, pro-LGBT rights, non-Tea Party conservative? They certainly exist, especially in New York/New York City (I know several personally.) But I guess having more 'moderate' people on the show wouldn't make for high ratings.

Edited by vanillamountain
  • Love 2
Debbie was a true unknown, and that lasted like a week. Plus, television is just so much more competitive now and this is a last ditch effort to save the brand, they aren't going to cast people without experience.

I was not suggesting they cast people without experience, ever.  There is a big difference between "unknown to us" and "inexperienced".  Our not knowing someone does not make them inexperienced.  There are highly qualified, talented people out there.  They are just not known to the general public, but they are well known in certain circles whether it be journalistic, literary or broader. 

Some people had already known of Lisa, but at the time I had not.  And I think Debbie lasted two years.  I had thought she was a bit of a flake, but as television became more competitive, The View decided in some co-host cases to go even more flaky, ie. in the direction of outright silly/dumb/stupid.  They have a real chance here and I am hoping they don't blow it (yet again).

Edited by Dreamboat Annie

It goes without saying, that for me, I don't believe a shit of what "anonymous" sources, or "insiders" have to say about who will be next or chosen. As much as I hate ABC, I will believe what the show, or actual people who do the hiring, have to say about who will be joining.

And with the new executive producer, I'm hoping for more going back to the roots of this show, than the swill that Geddie was producing.

• Love 3

In the article included in the Celebitchy link, I love how Rosie called out Cupp for reciting GOP talking points and basically saying, I'm not going to do another Hasselbeck situation. It's so gratifying to her Hasselbeck (and Cupp) being called out for just being parakeets of canned prepared bullet points.

I really dislike Nicolle Wallace for working to get a dangerous ignoramus one heartbeat away from the most powerful political position in the world (while KNOWING she was so stupid). That said, at least when I hear her say something these days, it's something she at least understands, and believes. Plus she has real experience in politics (Bitsy had none and Cupp wrote some smartass books/columns but I don't think she's ever had a job in politics.)

I really hope Ana Navarro doesn't get the job. Glib and superficial.

• Love 2

Go Whoopi!  Go Rosie!  Damn, I'd love to have seen that new host hot topic testing.  Hope that somehow it gets leaked.

Wow, that is what they need to air instead of boring reruns!

• Love 4

In the article included in the Celebitchy link, I love how Rosie called out Cupp for reciting GOP talking points and basically saying, I'm not going to do another Hasselbeck situation. It's so gratifying to her Hasselbeck (and Cupp) being called out for just being parakeets of canned prepared bullet points.

I really dislike Nicolle Wallace for working to get a dangerous ignoramus one heartbeat away from the most powerful political position in the world (while KNOWING she was so stupid). That said, at least when I hear her say something these days, it's something she at least understands, and believes. Plus she has real experience in politics (Bitsy had none and Cupp wrote some smartass books/columns but I don't think she's ever had a job in politics.)

I really hope Ana Navarro doesn't get the job. Glib and superficial.

I like that Rosie is working to nip Cupp joining the show in the bud, but Wallace is just as dumb as Elizabeth Hassleback. Only difference is that she has years of experience spinning her GOP talking points. I think it is more than a little unfair that they are looking to hire a professional GOP operative for the show. She has no interest in talking about issues, just pushing whatever will help the GOP. Rosie and Whoopi aren't just going to push Dem talking points. They are liberals who will argue issues with their beliefs. Big difference between the two. I hate that ABC feels the need to turn this show into another show that spins for the GOP. They already have all of Fox News, 90% of CNN and the morning show on MSNBC. Isn't that enough?

• Love 9

I would think that two heavyweights like Rosie and Whoopi would want others on the panel to have some credentials to merit their selection and maybe even not be total unknowns. I would love to see the panel have cohosts with expertise in law and in journalism. That balance seemed to work best in the past and gave discussions some interest. Cohosts shrilly spouting talking points and unsubstantiated "facts" don't make for good discussions and is a waste of the viewers time.

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 7