Type keyword(s) to search

Future Co-Hosts Talk and Speculation: Musical Chairs

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

Abby is great, I'd actually hate to see her leave the Cycle.  She is so much better that Meghan McCain, I know some here thought that she was bad, but really, I appreciate her.  And she wouldn't have such a screwed up father to defend.  "Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran" or presenting this nation with the heinous presence of Sarah Palin.

• Love 2

Since reading here I have changed my view on Whoopi and Rosie at the same table at the same time.  They are both professionals and would of course get along fine.  I have a question in that case though, is who would be the lead moderator?  Two lead moderators there together for a panel of four or even more would be a ridiculous concept, a chaotic mess. 

A giant CHEER for no reality show "emergers", no cheap non talented famewhores.  I applaud this so much.  I am so over all "reality" crap.  I assume this also means no stupid, non talented loser rejects from Survivor either ;) 

• Love 3

Since reading here I have changed my view on Whoopi and Rosie at the same table at the same time.  They are both professionals and would of course get along fine.  I have a question in that case though, is who would be the lead moderator?  Two lead moderators there together for a panel of four or even more would be a ridiculous concept, a chaotic mess. 

The wisest course (and thus probably NOT what the show will do) would be to hire a news-anchor type to be moderator and stop pretending a comedian is right for the job anyway.  Let them be The Peanut Gallery, where they'll be most effective anyway.

• Love 2
(edited)

I loved Rosie's first talk show but I never saw the one on OWN. There seemed to be a few years after her show finished that she appeared to have a personality change. She didn't seem as friendly as she did on her talk show (wasn't she dubbed the Queen of Nice).

I'm one of the few people who actually did watch Rosie's show on OWN. I think there were a lot of reasons it didn't work. For one thing, this seems to be a pattern lately. There are a lot of talk shows on the market and they are all kind of the same or trying to still make the old formula work when their is lots of competition out there already. Networks have tried bringing back old stables like Ricki Lake and Arsenio Hall too and those talk shows just didn't work in this current climate either.

When Oprah brought Rosie on she gave her  her old studio and IMO tried to make her new show similarly to what she was doing. Because it was on the old stage it literally looked and felt like the Oprah show just with Rosie as the host. Rosie was interviewing celebrities and having musical performances like she always did and yes she was very nice but there are also plenty of other talk shows on the air that already do this. Not to mention this was a brand new network that had yet to produce a hit or high ratings for a show that didn't have Oprah as the host. So Rosie and Oprah attempted to retool the show into something that looked like the Larry King show with her interviewing celebs at a table with no studio audience but that didn't work either so they finally put the show out to pasture. For what it's worth, I liked both versions and didn't find Rosie's personality to be the problem per se. 

I would welcome Rosie back to the View and I think she will get along fine with Whoopi. I'm more concerned about who else they would pair them with though. I have no interest in Sarah Palin or any conservative joining the panel. I don't agree that they necessarily need one of those voices in order to be fair. The conservatives certainly aren't concerned about accommodating liberals on Fox news so why should The View? That said, if they want both a younger panelist and a conservative they could kill two birds with one stone by just hiring Meaghan Mccain. One of the few Republicans I can actually stand. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Love 3

Anyone know what Bonnie Hunt is up to these days?

Though they possibly have two middle age comediennes, I always found her delightful in her interactions with guests on her talk show.

(And please no Mario. He makes my ears bleed.)

I love Bonnie Hunt the most of all who are suggested. I don't want there to be a man. I want four women from different life circumstances, darn it all. 

• Love 5

Dont most OWN shows fail because that network isnt on most cable packages?? I know our cable doesnt carry it... unless they have it on some pay package

Yes, I've said this from the very beginning. I thought it was one of the dumbest things Oprah ever did was buying a station that NO ONE had on their cable. What was she thinking.
  • Love 7
Didn't Rosie say a lot of nice things about NeNe Leakes during one point, and even toss out the idea of doing a show with her?

Ohhhhhh, Morbs.  Would I love to see this!   Two controlling LOUD alpha-females who have to be No. 1.  I don't know how long those two could last together, but the "sparks" might just be worth it.  And think of the comments on Previously.TV !!

(edited)

I think if Rosie is returning it is time for me to move over to the Talk. I don't think she will allow opposing views. I wish The View had gotten a few conservative hosts, just so they could present another view, but with Rosie returning that will not happen.

Edited by Rockybeach

I think if Rosie is returning it is time for me to move over to the Talk. I don't think she will allow opposing views. I wish The View had gotten a few conservative hosts, just so they could present another view, but with Rosie returning that will not happen.

All we get are conservative views..... not only on The View but in our media in general.... look at all our corporate owned media.... all we hear are Right wing talking points with different spin..... Did anyone hear about how they got all the chemical weapons out of Syria?? no... because the Right hated that story.... did you hear the story about how a Canadian oil company had to shut down because the keystone pipeline wasnt built??

There is no voice for the Left in our media today

• Love 13

Sorry but I disagree. Who is currently the conservative on the View? No one. Most media is democratic. At least the 3 major networks are. And most cable channels. Look what the view has become: 3 people from the left discussing their views. How diverse. I would much rather see the view as it was originally intended.  5 women of different age groups with different views discussing current events. It won't happen but it would have been nice. All we will have now is Rosie telling everyone her view. How......... repetitive.

Sorry but I disagree. Who is currently the conservative on the View? No one. Most media is democratic. At least the 3 major networks are. And most cable channels. Look what the view has become: 3 people from the left discussing their views. How diverse. I would much rather see the view as it was originally intended.  5 women of different age groups with different views discussing current events. It won't happen but it would have been nice. All we will have now is Rosie telling everyone her view. How......... repetitive.

I think Bill Geddie and Barbara Walters both tend conservative. 

• Love 5

Where it may be true that many of the reporters lean to the Left.... the people in charge, the owners, the editors lean to the Right and they are the ones who make decisions on what stories get broadcast and which ones get silenced. I would really be interested if you gave us your opinion on what Left wing stories you have heard about..... and I dont mean Right wing stories with a Left spin..... but true Left wing stories..... there must be loads of them since you believe that our news is mostly Left wing...... just as a point...... the idea that our media is Left leaning is Right wing talking point.

• Love 10
(edited)

Geddie and Walters definitely lean conservative. And Geddie books more conservative pundits as guests on this show than liberal(case in point the frequent visits by O' Reilly and most recently Palin) so I'm not getting this criticism that the View is liberal. It really isn't. There isn't anything particularly liberal about Sherri Shepard either. She often comes off quite conservative whenever she expresses her views. And it's not as if the last conservative panelist, Elisabeth, was particularly respectful of anyone else's opposing views when she was on the show either. And look at her now on Fox news ranting about how Rosie, the mother of a son who is going to be going to the Citadel, is anti-military and unpatriotic. I don't see Rosie stopping anyone from expressing themselves about anything. That's not her style. What she does do is offer up her own opinions to counter the opposing view just as she did with Bitsy but Bitsy often liked to play the role(and yes it is a role because their is nothing authentic about Hasselback) of meek little girl being picked on by the big bad Angry Lesbian whenever Rosie said anything really.

If they are going to have a conservative on the panel, which IMO isn't necessary, at least let it be someone with an ounce of intelligence and her own opinions  that aren't being fed to her through an earpiece unlike Hasselback.

By the way, Rockybeach is if you think The View is too left-leaning then you really aren't going like The Talk any better to be honest. I don't think their is one conservative on that panel unless you count Sheryl which I don't and their views on most stories lean liberal, at least socially liberal anyway. Just saying. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Love 9

Rockybeach - the original premise of the View was women from different backgrounds, different ages -  but NOT a balance between "left and right"  or conservative  and liberal.  Because  the original panel said what they truly felt.  they didn't repeat talking points from a particular political leaning.  That's what made it interesting, at least to me.   Their views didn't have to line up with one "side"  or the other of some political divide.

The show needs interesting, intelligent  women who can think on their feet and have real opinions that they can articulate.   The "Left-right"  balance doesn't matter as much.    

• Love 11

TMZ is reporting that Rosie's deal to return bars any of the other Co-hosts from being reality TV "stars". HALLELIUIA!!!

From TMZ:

"Rosie O’Donnell has been offered a “one-year, seven-figure deal” to rejoin “The View,” sources said — and she’s demanding a say on her co-hosts and absolutely no reality stars. Just days after we reported that ABC was reaching out to her, insiders tell us the deal is not confirmed but is “absolutely in progress.”

We hear terms of her deal would include her appearing full-time on the show alongside Whoopi Goldberg, and O’Donnell will also get “approval over offers to other co-hosts.”

But according to a source, Rosie wants a stipulation that no other reality stars can be slotted as co-hosts, (so Bethenny Frankel’s agent should stop pitching). The deal would bring O’Donnell back after a rocky exit in 2007 after just one season."

No reality "star" GUESTS should also be a part of the negotiations!

• Love 2

Speaking of Abby Huntsman, who is far from conservative, oh please oh please oh please gawd no, S.E. Cupp.  Also a former "Cyclist".  The woman can never shut up!  She and Rosie would literally come to fist to cuffs, methinks.  She has Crossfire so hopefully she wouldn't even be considered.

• Love 1

Speaking of Abby Huntsman, who is far from conservative, oh please oh please oh please gawd no, S.E. Cupp.  Also a former "Cyclist".  The woman can never shut up!  She and Rosie would literally come to fist to cuffs, methinks.  She has Crossfire so hopefully she wouldn't even be considered.

I can't take anyone seriously who's name can be mangled with very little effort to "Sippy Cup".

• Love 4

But according to a source, Rosie wants a stipulation that no other reality stars can be slotted as co-hosts, (so Bethenny Frankel’s agent should stop pitching).

Thank God for this.  No Nene.

• Love 3

Comcast is saying that Meghan McCain is the new conservation voice on the View.  Wait for confirmation, speculation, and counter-reports.  I like her and I am not conservative.

• Love 4

So I was out of town for a couple days and now I'm not sure I understand what is happening with hosts.   I guess you have to keep up this situation is changing so many times.

Last time I looked, Sheri and Jenny were out--they came back and acted like it was them deciding--and then this week, my DVR says the shows are "new" and Jenny and Sheri seem to be on acting like things are normal.   So are they still leaving?    

I don't mind Rosie returning but I am not sure how that will work out with Whoopi staying, and I also don't think letting Rosie have some input on the other hosts is the worst idea.   We've seen several years of poor picking from Barbara and Gedde.  I think Gedde not being the producer is the key to change--the show reeks of his desperate, dated style and I think they need something new.

The last months of Rosie's OWN show when she did a complete overhaul and did a small studio with one on one interviews were some of the best things she's ever done--it showed a side of her that I had never seen, and it makes me think if she had an opportunity to do more in-depth interviewing (not that The View has done that recently) she really might have something to offer.   

I figure it can't get worse--either they need to do a complete change or they need to let The View go.

• Love 5

So I was out of town for a couple days and now I'm not sure I understand what is happening with hosts.   I guess you have to keep up this situation is changing so many times.

Last time I looked, Sheri and Jenny were out--they came back and acted like it was them deciding--and then this week, my DVR says the shows are "new" and Jenny and Sheri seem to be on acting like things are normal.   So are they still leaving?    

Yes, they are leaving at the end of the season when their contracts expire. Jenny seems to have gotten more vocal since finding out that nothing she can do can get her re-fired (although it happened with Star, so she still might want to be a bit careful). And by that I mean - she is louder now and has no problem arguing, and she kept making snide remarks the day they announced she was leaving.

• Love 1

Re Jenny:  

And by that I mean - she is louder now and has no problem arguing, and she kept making snide remarks the day they announced she was leaving.

Anyone would be loud/louder having to sit at the table with Sherri.  I hope she gets her hearing checked while she still has Disney/ABC health insurance.

TMZ is reporting that Rosie's deal to return bars any of the other Co-hosts from being reality TV "stars".

CathinAZ, I so hope this is true.  I hope Ms. Elisabeth gets the message.  Lizzie, this bit's for YOU!

• Love 3

Comcast is saying that Meghan McCain is the new conservation voice on the View.  Wait for confirmation, speculation, and counter-reports.  I like her and I am not conservative.

Meghan McCain is dim. She makes Elizabeth seem smart. The only reason she has a career in media is that she's related to McCain. On a positive note, she seems to hate Palin, so there is that good news.

• Love 3

I agree, I can't stand children hangers-on like Megan McCain. Kelly Osbourne and Bristol Palin are other "celebrities" that come to mind. Huntsman and Hoover also fall in that category, but if I had to pick one, I'd definitely take Huntsman.

• Love 1

Saying "it could be worse" is not the best possible way to head into this, is it?

Meghan McCain is dim. She makes Elizabeth seem smart. The only reason she has a career in media is that she's related to McCain. On a positive note, she seems to hate Palin, so there is that good news.

Well apparently, at the very least she likes Michael Ian Black (she wrote a book with him), and in that book reveals that she hates Karl Rove (for personal reasons apparently--not political ones--she holds Rove responsible for attack tactics using her sister in the 2000 elections), and has said not bad things about Hillary Clinton.

I don't think Meghan McCain is a real Republican, but branded herself as one to launch her career.  True, she has a victim's mentality like most Republicans and likes to cry about how mean people on Twitter are about her weight, but she admittedly knows nothing about the economy or Reagan and then just blames her ignorance on her age.  Whoopi and Rosie could prove she stands for nothing conservative or is an idiot with just a few leading questions.

• Love 2

I don't think Meghan McCain is a real Republican, but branded herself as one to launch her career.  True, she has a victim's mentality like most Republicans and likes to cry about how mean people on Twitter are about her weight, but she admittedly knows nothing about the economy or Reagan and then just blames her ignorance on her age.  Whoopi and Rosie could prove she stands for nothing conservative or is an idiot with just a few leading questions.

If I remember correctly..... Meghan McCain said she declared herself a Republican as a Father's Day present for John McCain

(edited)

Rockybeach - the original premise of the View was women from different backgrounds, different ages -  but NOT a balance between "left and right"  or conservative  and liberal.  Because  the original panel said what they truly felt.  they didn't repeat talking points from a particular political leaning.  That's what made it interesting, at least to me.   Their views didn't have to line up with one "side"  or the other of some political divide.

The show needs interesting, intelligent  women who can think on their feet and have real opinions that they can articulate.   The "Left-right"  balance doesn't matter as much.    

I didn't say balanced views, I said different views. And when you have 4 hosts, 3 picked and controlled by one woman, I don't see and diversity or divergent views. Sad but I guess if you want to watch Rosie and 3 people she helped pick agree with her, you will love the new view.

Where it may be true that many of the reporters lean to the Left.... the people in charge, the owners, the editors lean to the Right and they are the ones who make decisions on what stories get broadcast and which ones get silenced. I would really be interested if you gave us your opinion on what Left wing stories you have heard about..... and I dont mean Right wing stories with a Left spin..... but true Left wing stories..... there must be loads of them since you believe that our news is mostly Left wing...... just as a point...... the idea that our media is Left leaning is Right wing talking point.

My post about the View is valid. There are no conservative voices on the view and it diminishes their appeal. Whether you agree with them or not, different opinion's and points of view improve the show and the topics they cover.

Edited by Rockybeach

My post about the View is valid. There are no conservative voices on the view and it diminishes their appeal. Whether you agree with them or not, different opinion's and points of view improve the show and the topics they cover.

The voices may not be conservative but the topics and the guests sure seem to be. So often if they have a Conservative guest on they talk politics, but a Liberal guest has their political views muted. Geddie is completely Right wing and bends the show that way too.

I hope they have a conservative host, but one who has real opinions instead of parroting taking points. I would much rather see an honest back and forth than scripted blue cards. When it comes to the guests, Id rather see follow up questions from their previous answer than just waiting to read the next question on the card

Just like our media..... I would like to see real Left wing information instead of just a Left spin on Right wing talking points. Im sure I ask for too much though

• Love 5

I didn't say balanced views, I said different views. And when you have 4 hosts, 3 picked and controlled by one woman, I don't see and diversity or divergent views. Sad but I guess if you want to watch Rosie and 3 people she helped pick agree with her, you will love the new view.

I think a voice like Meghan McCain (argh at the spelling) could work, I'd prefer Abby  to leave the Cycle because she doesn't have the baggage.  The reason why?  Neither of them currently dance to the tune of the daily "faxblast" of Ailes and company.  They aren't tuned into the daily talking points that are absorbed across right wing hate talk radio.  I'd just rather Abby in this case, because Senator McCain proves daily that he is a batshit crazy militarist, and completely tied into the neocon military industrial complex.  Which is NOT the answer to anything in this mess that he, Bush, Cheney and the neocons created with their lies to get us into Iraq in the first place.

• Love 3

Like Former Nun I took this as a direct hit towards Bitsy more than anything else.  Even if Rosie didn't say it, I like it.

My post with regards to Nene goes way back to when Rosie and Nene co-hosted Anderson Cooper's show. They were very chummy and the next day there were articles saying that Rosie and Nene were planning to co-host their own talk show. I don't care which one it is about, I don't like either of them.

• Love 1

Since reading here I have changed my view on Whoopi and Rosie at the same table at the same time.  They are both professionals and would of course get along fine.  I have a question in that case though, is who would be the lead moderator?

I'll be Whoppi stays the moderator and Rosie gets BW's chair. One on each side of the table.

If they hire a guy, I won't be watching and I do want to see Ro and Whoppi.

(edited)

I think a voice like Meghan McCain (argh at the spelling) could work, I'd prefer Abby  to leave the Cycle because she doesn't have the baggage.  The reason why?  Neither of them currently dance to the tune of the daily "faxblast" of Ailes and company.  They aren't tuned into the daily talking points that are absorbed across right wing hate talk radio.  I'd just rather Abby in this case, because Senator McCain proves daily that he is a batshit crazy militarist, and completely tied into the neocon military industrial complex.  Which is NOT the answer to anything in this mess that he, Bush, Cheney and the neocons created with their lies to get us into Iraq in the first place.

I agree. I hope they really look and find some women of different backgrounds and different age groups. I think Abby or Meghan would be good. I would be curious if she shares her father's views or if she has a different take on some of the events. I think Rosie and Whoopi are about the same age, so I would love to see someone younger added as co-host.

I just worry that they handed over too much control to Rosie. She should have been just another panelist. By giving her power in deciding the other panelist, it makes them indebted to her.

Edited by Rockybeach

I've been enjoying Sunny Hostin on the View.  I'd like to have someone with a legal background.  I don't agree with her on pot legalization (I'm from Seattle), but she can present cogent arguments.  I like spirited debates, but not regurgitation of talking points from either side.

• Love 2

Wish I could agree Persiaa, but Mrs. Hostin is too uptight and judgmental for me.  I think she's another person who sees "gateways" here, there, and everywhere.  She's pretty, smart, and articulate (and I love a legal eagle)...but she's not my cuppa.

• Love 4
(edited)

I doubt Meghan McCain is a serious option. She already has a five day a week show on Pivot, and she just renegotiated her contract with them a couple of months ago. I don't dislike Meghan, but frankly she's just not the sharpest tool in the shed, if you know what I mean. Abby Huntsman would be a much better choice IMO if they can get her out of her MSNBC contract. She seems to be a smart, thoughtful, moderate young conservative with knowledge of current events and her own opinions. She holds her own pretty well in her current gig with three strong personalities at the table, and she doesn't strike me as the type that would be complacent and just read right wing talking points given to her on a blue card. I still think the show would benefit greatly if they could bring in someone with a legal or journalism background again to help keep some of the conversations a bit more grounded in fact. No more reality show rejects! Period.

I actually think Rosie and Whoopi could have some pretty good chemistry together, as long as they can both keep their egos in check. If Geddie is indeed still with the show, I have to imagine he must be in a much diminished role. I can't imagine Rosie agreeing to come back any other way. She always blamed him and Dusty for setting her up on the day of the infamous split screen. Yes, they are professionals, but there were an awful lot of hurt feelings there. Seems hard to believe that hatchet could've been buried completely. I guess we'll find out soon enough. For now, the simple fact that Rosie's return irritates Elisabeth so much puts a smile on my face.

Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 3

If I were in Whoopi's position and someone new came in and practically took over the show and was allowed to call the shots in regards to salary, co-hosts, firing the showrunner ?, and whatever else that she is rumored to be getting, I would be a little pissed.  So Whoopi is a better woman than I.

Persiaa, not to veer completely off-topic but what's Sunny's view on pot? (Just as an aside, I live in the Denver area and we got news footage of someone offering President Obama a joint while he was in a restaurant or bar here in town yesterday. It was kinda cute). Anyway, I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with a palatable young conservative voice and...I'm stumped. I know they exist, but FOX tends to ignore them in favor of Palin, Coulter, Bachmann and lunatics of that ilk.

• Love 1
I just worry that they handed over too much control to Rosie. She should have been just another panelist. By giving her power in deciding the other panelist, it makes them indebted to her.

I think there needs to be an ironclad contract that spells out everything Rosie is NOT allowed to do, Rockybeach.   Rosie seems like the type that will run roughshod over almost anyone because she must be in control.  She thinks she knows what an audience* wants and she will fight to the death to provide it.  I think people are remembering the Queen of Nice, the innocent who had such a crush on Tom Cruise.  That ship has sailed.

*She does know what her audience wants; ABC/Disney just hopes that audience is large enough.

• Love 2