Type keyword(s) to search

Future Co-Hosts Talk and Speculation: Musical Chairs

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I would love to have Rosie back.  I miss her when she's not on the air regularly even though she sometimes makes me cringe.  If she doesn't return, I would love to have Paula Poundstone:  so funny, single mom, up to date on current events, smart.  As for a new young'un, I won't put forth a name because I think they'd need to discover an unknown.  After all, who here had ever heard of Lisa Ling before she was on The View?  Or Jessica Williams pre-Daily Show?  As for journalists, I would love to see Callie Crossley.  She's active on NPR and PBS both in front of and behind the camera but also has a soft spot for pop culture.  She has moderated numerous news shows very well.

In any case, I would like to get away from the sitcom/reality star model:  while many performers are smart, I don't think this is the best source of well-informed panel members.   More journalists/lawyers/business leaders, please.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 6

I LOVE Bonnie Hunt!  Samantha Bee has an irreverent humor that might work well. Love Rosie Perez, but her voice might need subtitles sometimes (for me and I have trouble understanding British accents too),  Katie Couric smiles tooooo much---like Sherri.   Rosie? Like her, but no.  Too bossy. Same as Whoopi. 

I doubt any serous journalist/anchor would consider this job.  I agree that the View needs different points of view--a woman with no kids and no plans to have them would be refreshing, cuz I have heard WAY too much about the "I'm a Mom, so I know everything," spiel. 

Plus it would be amazing to NOT have 40+ year olds acting like teens/20;s.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'd take Rosie over Whoopi any day.  Rosie is engaging and entertaining.  I like Whoopi, who can also be entertaining if she wants to be, but it looks to me like all she is, is there.  For purposes of roll-call.  Whoopi?  "Present".  And that's about it.  Viewers deserve much, much more from her and all the hosts.

They had a real opportunity last year to make things so much better, finally having gotten rid of that stupid twit.  So what did they do?  Let Joy, a beloved favorite, go too.  Expand loudmouth Sherri's role (so Whoopi could have even less to do), so all she did was talk more when she has nothing to say.  Bring on Jenny McCarthy.  Big mistakes.  They have a chance now to greatly improve things. 

Rosie fits because she comes with proven talk show experience/success.  I think it's possible she'd do better alone than being part of a panel.  That would be okay with me if they scrapped the View and just brought Rosie on for her own show.  But at this point in her life and her career, maybe being the lead moderator of the panel and not having an entire show resting on her is better suited to her now.  I'd also like to see as part of the panel a smart and talented journalist, a smart and talented comedian (I miss Joy, and also love Bonnie Hunt).  For the "young one", I can't believe there's a shortage of intelligent young women out there in such a competitive market.  I thought having a smart and charismatic lawyer (back then it was Star) on the panel was a good idea and worked well.  Sherri and Jenny never worked for me because I just don't think they brought enough to the table.  Maybe that's why discussing current events and hot topics resulted in such a mess.  Whatever they do, I'd like to see an end to the discussions of any and all reality show nonsense.

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 5

I think we can cross Rosie off the list unless it's true that Geddie is gone.   Not that I know if she would even be interested in sharing a platform with anyone again, but I feel safe in saying she wouldn't work with him again. 

She did leave a lasting impression on the show however: Rosie was the one that relegated him to the back after years of sitting in the front row.  She is also the one that had the four day work week, and the audience giveaways.  Unfortunately, her attempts at gearing an entire show towards a particular topic (adoption for example) fell by the wayside as did  anyone that knew how to interview guests. 

• Love 2

Lordy, I miss Bonnie Hunt.:(  I loved her old show.  I'd love to see her again, and like was said earlier, granny's head might explode - lol.  I really like Paula Poundstone, too, and would like to see her.

I mentioned Rosie Perez before.  Everything those of y'all are saying who wouldn't want her is exactly what I would have been saying before this year.  I'm sure she could do her character, but a few times this past year, I guess, I've seen her being herself.  She wasn't silly and the accent was waaay toned down.  Poor girl had a truly rough life.

Yes, they are all comedians, but Bonnie and Paula are smart.  Haven't seen enough of regular Rosie to know.

• Love 1
(edited)

I would love to have Rosie back.  I miss her when she's not on the air regularly even though she sometimes makes me cringe.  If she doesn't return, I would love to have Paula Poundstone:  so funny, single mom, up to date on current events, smart.  

I was going to ask "Is Paula Poundstone even still in the business? I have to confess it's a name I haven't heard mentioned in like... a decade", but just looked up the details on her current career. So apparently I need to listen to more NPR, because that's her career these days it seems.  It's the kind of situation, I guess, where habitual NPR listeners will know her, and the rest of the world may have forgotten about her.

Being out of current pop culture awareness for the most part could be a good thing for anyone taking on The View, actually.  She'd be a pro who'd know how to do the job, but with a lot less expectations laid on her than a bigger name.  I suppose they'd wind up trying to counterbalance her on the other new hire with a conservative, but "girly", hire though (especially if Paula still threatens like status quo by going around in those ugly suits she used to wear). 

Judge Judy or Bonnie Hunt would be really good mods while different at least there would be some intelligence which is sorely lacking.

Bonnie Hunt may be one of the better (and frankly more realistic) suggestions being made.  Judge Judy?  It'll never happen.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

This show has become such a debacle that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, so I'm glad that neither of these well-qualified women has any chance of being hired:  Sara Moulton & Erica Hill.  Both are smart, interesting, accomplished, & funny (not unlike Meredith Vieira, who's also too good for this travesty).  I'd watch a show with either/both of them, but that's not going to happen here.  

Lordy, I miss Bonnie Hunt.:(  I loved her old show.  I'd love to see her again, and like was said earlier, granny's head might explode - lol.  I really like Paula Poundstone, too, and would like to see her.

I mentioned Rosie Perez before.  Everything those of y'all are saying who wouldn't want her is exactly what I would have been saying before this year.  I'm sure she could do her character, but a few times this past year, I guess, I've seen her being herself.  She wasn't silly and the accent was waaay toned down.  Poor girl had a truly rough life.

Yes, they are all comedians, but Bonnie and Paula are smart.  Haven't seen enough of regular Rosie to know.

So many good ideas. I want Bonnie (if only because I love her), Laila Ali (because she's smart and interesting), and possibly Rosie. I know Whoopi talented, and I know the panel has been challenging for her, but there's just something off-putting about her attitude sometimes. I used to love this show. I want to love it again. 

• Love 3

I don't think anyone with "star power" (current or future) should be subjected to working on this project until GEDDIE IS GONE!

If Rosie has any sense--or if she'll at least listen to her closest advisors, she won't come within a block of this show.  Rosie HAS to be the boss...HAS to be in charge.  No matter how much she'll convince herself that she'd be a good fit and have a good time, eventually she'll become a...a...tyrant.  There's no better way to say it.   She played "nice" for quite awhile and America fell in love with that on-screen persona.  I wouldn't want to work for her.

• Love 4

I just hope they fill the co-host spots quickly. Guest co-hosts, people supposedly trying out for the parts, will make this show suck even more. Besides the obvious, I think guest co-hosts did nothing for the show all along.

• Love 3

I agree ginger90 - in the past they seemed to me to spend too much time chatting with and bringing us up to date on WHO the guest co-host was. Now they ignore them for the most part.

I think they should just get a table full of regular co-hosts and move on for the first time in years.

Bonnie Hunt? YES! But she doesn't fit with the shows new direction of dumbing down the topics and content for their audience. I no longer tape the show and watch sporadically for its' snark value . . . I think many if us have stopped expecting anything interesting or valuable from the show....

• Love 1

Babsy's head would spin into space if Bonnie became a co-host.  But since she's ExecProd, that will never happen.

Does Barbara not like Bonnie? Why wouldn't Barbara want a really down to earth, likable, intelligent and funny person to be on the show?

(edited)

Does Barbara not like Bonnie? Why wouldn't Barbara want a really down to earth, likable, intelligent and funny person to be on the show?

Not sure I get it either, unless Bonnie was outright competition for The View timeslot in some markets when she had her show and Babs commented on it at the time.

Edited by Kromm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_3cmU2P7As

A link to Bonnie hunt on The View.  Hard to tell if BW was just trying to be funny, but she did not seem to appreciate Bonnie.

Thanks, for the link. Wow, Barbara was a real jerk. She needs to truly retire. She just seems so embittered and mean-spirited. I never felt like Barbara rose to the top of her career because of journalistic integrity or talent. I always felt she slept her way to where she is and also backstabbed along the way. All she ever did were puff pieces and let's be brutally honest, since when do women with extreme speech impediments get hired to be a lead anchor, especially back in those days?

I've heard/read about rumors of Barbara being downright vicious to other women in the industry. It makes me wonder if she truly resents seeing intelligent women who have accomplished things on their own merit and not from laying on their backs or staying on their knees.

• Love 3

"project until GEDDIE IS GONE!"

---------------------------------------------

I have a feeling the reason ABC doesn't get rid of him --and Barbara-- are the nitwit specials that apparently make money. I would ask the network to please ignore both when putting together the new show. Or better still, buy them out!

“I’ve hosted it, I’ve had so much fun ... but they haven’t asked,” Shields told “Extra” last year when asked about the possibility of replacing Joy Behar — who left the show in 2013.

Some of these suggestions are offbeat to say the least. Keep in mind that you have to live in the greater-NYC area and work --to start anyway-- for less than a $$$ million. It's a great job for some but not others.

“They’ve been talking to Angie (Martinez) for a while,” a source told The News

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/view-peers-future-article-1.1847055

Hand up!  I watch Judge Judy...and she proclaims a few times a week that she has ten million viewers...all over the world.   She's rich-rich-rich and has taken Baba Wawa on a trip on her yacht.  I'm sure she can buy and sell Barbara...and The View.

• Love 3

"project until GEDDIE IS GONE!"

---------------------------------------------

I have a feeling the reason ABC doesn't get rid of him --and Barbara-- are the nitwit specials that apparently make money. I would ask the network to please ignore both when putting together the new show. Or better still, buy them out!

Some of these suggestions are offbeat to say the least. Keep in mind that you have to live in the greater-NYC area and work --to start anyway-- for less than a $$$ million. It's a great job for some but not others.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/view-peers-future-article-1.1847055

Angie Martinez is a totally insane suggestion for another reason that the obvious "who the fuck is she" quotient with most of America.  Or rather it's odd because of who she ALMOST was.  She's the one signed for Season 2 of American Idol as a judge who quit after 2 weeks (and who I think was totally edited out).  I can't imagine any network show wanting to hire her with that black spot on her record.

It really sounds like they are going to add a man to the panel, which will be the final blow to the concept.  That being the case they should rename the show, redo the format, and create a new stage setting.  It won't be the View anymore.

• Love 4

My son read on some online sports website that Jesse Palmer will be The New Man on The View.

Are they on the same drugs as the Biggest Loser producers? (who just cast the cousin of a Bachelor and an American Gladiator)

• Love 1

My son read on some online sports website that Jesse Palmer will be The New Man on The View.

Well, he already works for ABC/ESPN so that's easier.   I just looked him up and found out he kicked off his TV career on The Bachelor.    Of course he did.  This show sucks. 

• Love 2
(edited)

It really sounds like they are going to add a man to the panel, which will be the final blow to the concept.  That being the case they should rename the show, redo the format, and create a new stage setting.  It won't be the View anymore.

No.. it will be every other show on television.

According to the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, 83% of TV and movie narrators are men.  In crowd scenes, only 17% are female.  Men outnumber women 3 to 1 in family films.  Diane Sawyer is stepping down at ABC returning the three major network evening news anchor chairs to white men.

How sad that a show ostensibly devoted to advancing underrepresented women's views is now looking to hand the microphone back over to the guys who are hardly in short supply already.  

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 8

Have you guys seen the article in The New York Post Cindy Adams column? I pasted it below. Cindy is one of Barbara's best friends and I think there is a lot of truth in the article! Looks like major changes come September! And even though Whoppie's still under contract, ABC might not have her be a part of the new relaunch...and she'd still be paid under her contract...good for her!

"ABC means Always Be Changing. To review “The View,” the view looks cloudy: Joy Behar, axed. Meredith Vieira, whose career it revitalized, left. Hasselbeck, the blond right winger sports star’s wife, gone. Show’s creator Barbara retired. Minus notice, new addition Jenny McCarthy’s now a subtraction. Sherri Shepherd, fired.

Also let go — its senior producer. Walters’ producing partner for 25 years, “View” co-creator Bill Geddie — iffy. On hiatus, the show’s due back September. With who? They need new staff. New cast. With ratings sliding, also new viewers. Couldn’t fire everybody so remaining only — Whoopi, who had a two-year pay-or-play contract.

No stars, second stringers, are penciled in for the cast. You shouldn’t think Angelina Jolie. They’ve even burbled about refloating Rosie O’Donnell.

And there’s Diane Sawyer, whose David Muir replacement’s p.d.q. Sept. 2. No last-minute decision. I heard of this months ago. Maybe they want everyone 12 years old. Maybe they feared losing Muir, who’d have other options. Their morning show lost its weatherman and second anchor. To stay happy, Stephanopoulos got big promises, big money and big assurances he’ll get the big interviews.

Diane, not one to bolt the big picture anymore than Hillary, said she wants to do great stories, in-depth documentaries. What she’ll say, what they’ll say, what anyone will say down the line is a crapshoot."

• Love 1

I hope when they replace Sherri they choose a lesbian. And that they are very specific in saying who she replaced. There, I said it.

Although Rachel Maddow would never be hired as a host, she would be great. This show is in desperate need of intelligent people.

• Love 2

He was another no talent Quarterback for the Giants.... just like Elisabeth's husband Tim.... I would not be surprised if they rallied for him to get the job.... I bet his intelligent level isnt very high.

• Love 1

Qoass, thank you for supplying those statistics and I totally agree with what you said. Personally, after yesterday's SCOTUS rulings and the one prior about the "35 feet buffer zone", I am in no mood to see a former bachelor "mansplaining" the issues of the day on a declining chat fest. Now is the time to get a smart, engaged panel of WOMEN-(there are enough damn men telling me their view on all the other shows) to discuss issues that women care about. This is what the women I know want.

• Love 4
(edited)

It's hilarious that this show hasn't been live with all the news, the SCOTUS decisions, ISIL in Iraq, Obama heading out on his own with immigration... the list goes on and on.

Laughs at the suggestion of Rachel Maddow - she's so far above this show!  She'll visit and say Hi, but she'd never stoop to this.  I love her Block A segments.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 5

I'm sorry but men should not be on this show! And I won't be watching if Jesse Palmer is the new co-host.

There are tons of women who have yet to be represented on the View. How about a millennial? How about a Latina? How about a conservative who can actually argue a point.

If they add guys to the show it becomes like every other show on TV. And it makes a larger statement about how ABC views women.

• Love 5
(edited)

Going off the article in the media thread: I would definitely be here for a Whoopi, Rosie, Mario, and Bernadette/Idina panel. I think Mario would be calmer if he was on everyday, and it would be nice to get the point of view of someone who has no children and does not want them every now and then. I was wondering the other day with the new co-host speculation why they've never got a singer co-host before, because then they could perform on the show occasionally. I would definitely enjoy performances by either one of Idina or Bernadette occasionally as part of the show (similarly to how the comedians would occasionally have comedy segments).

For younger singers who were big at one time but could use another job now, there's Jordin Sparks or Kellie Pickler, both who have worked with Disney/ABC before. I've seen them on other talkshows and they're capable of giving opinions without being argumentative. There's also older stars like Shania Twain, Bette Midler, etc. who don't really have anything going on (although they might have enough money that they'd have no interest in this show). I even think Queen Latifah would work; she's a nice personality that can't carry a solo show by herself, but would work well in a group. There's also Vanessa Williams, who's worked for ABC before, too.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1
(edited)

If the goal is a younger audience (which isn't it always?) then I don't think Mario Cantone is going to cut it.  Outside of Broadway does anyone under 40 even know who that is?  He's probably best known for his role on SATC and even that show has been over for 10 years.   Mario is the kind of thinking that would keep The View dusty and out of step.  So maybe  Sweaty Geddie will hire him. 

Have you guys seen the article in The New York Post Cindy Adams column? I pasted it below. Cindy is one of Barbara's best friends and I think there is a lot of truth in the article! Looks like major changes come September! And even though Whoppie's still under contract, ABC might not have her be a part of the new relaunch...and she'd still be paid under her contract...good for her!

That story really doesn't say anything we don't already know.  As far as Adams friendship with Babs,  ABC didn't even bother to tell Babs about the shake up.  She is on record as saying Sherri and Jenny weren't going anywhere just two months ago.  Hell, even the day before the firings Babs was on the show thanking those two idiots.  Plus, as others have pointed out here, Babs lies about this kind of thing all the time.

Edited to fix double negatives

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think many (all?) of the performers mentioned above would be surprised to learn that they'd need any type of career boost.  

I didn't say they needed a career boost, but it's a paycheck they probably couldn't make as easily in music anymore. When's the last time Shania had an album or Bette Midler did anything but give drive-by performances of "Wind Beneath My Wings"? Kellie Pickler, like all girls in country that aren't Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, or Miranda Lambert, is struggling to get new music heard or sold. Jordin Sparks has been inexplicably trapped in a vault by her record label. And Vanessa Williams had ABC give her a job on Desperate Housewives after the end of Ugly Betty, but then DH was also cancelled (if she was cast, maybe that could also predict the end of The View... lol ).

These are just ideals for me though. I know not all of them would want to be on this show, but I would enjoy them.

Edited by TheGreenKnight

And Vanessa Williams had ABC give her a job on Desperate Housewives after the end of Ugly Betty, but then DH was also cancelled (if she was cast, maybe that could also predict the end of The View... lol ).

I don't think they "gave her a job" as opposed to "we need to keep her on our talent roster for as long as we can."  She did have 666 Park Ave after DH, that was one that got canned early.  But after her divorce to Rick Fox, she did move back to NYC, still active on Broadway and is also the voice of the brown M+M.  (Hey, someone needs to keep the red one in line.)  I wouldn't mind this choice.   But once you add men, you may as well just rename the show.  The show was "for women, by women" or whatever the tagline was.  It's not that anymore so why keep the name?

• Love 2

How about "A Man's View, a show about women, for women...presented by a real man who knows practically everything about women, "  Steeeeeeeve Harvey!

(Disclaimer: I do not enjoy the man.)

• Love 3

How about "A Man's View, a show about women, for women...presented by a real man who knows practically everything about women, "  Steeeeeeeve Harvey!

(Disclaimer: I do not enjoy the man.)

He makes men look bad

• Love 3

Rather than focusing on different age ranges or political beliefs of panelists, I'd like to see a show with four or five women from different professions and backgrounds discussing important issues. A journalist, a lawyer, a doctor, a financial person, maybe an entertainer. 

I don't have these specific people in mind but I'm thinking of types like Meredith Vieira (journalism), Star Jones (legal), Nancy Snyderman (medical), Suze Orman (financial). Again, not those specific people, but I'm using them as examples of people from these particular fields that also have been in television and could participate in interesting panel discussions.

A show consisting of a panel like that could actually be informative, relevant, and entertaining for their target audience. What a novel concept.

• Love 10