Type keyword(s) to search

Future Co-Hosts Talk and Speculation: Musical Chairs

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Well, if The view has to continue:

Laila Ali has always done well as a guest co-host, and I'd like to see her get a seat at the table.  She's intelligent, well-informed, appropriate, and she has stage presence.

Diane Sawyer is leaving World News, and she's already in ABC's stable...

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just can't see someone like Diane Sawyer answering to or even working near Sweaty Bill Geddie.   In a fairytale it would be like the smart and classy princess working for the gross misogynistic troll.  But as long as we are dreaming/wishing/speculating I'd like to see and actual young person (under 30) at the table rather than two 40 somethings pretending to be 25.

Edited by Cosmocrush

I don't see anyone making truly big money on the show. ABC probably would like salaries under 1mil.  I still haven't counted out Allie Wentworth. She's said no before but that was still with Babs hanging around.

I think she's be a good moderator. I thought Brooke was a definite but she's had a year to look at this mess and maybe not?

(edited)

After all these years and all these co-hosts, it's beyond time to hire a Latina. They've auditioned some repeatedly but never hired one.

But please, not that Rachel Campos-Duffy!

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 6

I just can't see someone like Diane Sawyer answering to or even working near Sweaty Bill Geddie.   In a fairytale it would be like the smart and classy princess working for the gross misogynistic troll.  But as long as we are dreaming/wishing/speculating I'd like to see and actual young person (under 30) at the table rather than two 40 somethings pretending to be 25.

There are rumors that Bill Geddie is being fired also

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Sherri-Shepherd-Leaving-View-1083678.aspx

"Executive producer Bill Geddie is also allegedly on the chopping block."

If they have a choice between Diane & Bill, they may go for Diane, she would replace Barbara.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hee.  So I wonder if part of Babs unretiring again is to have a stopgap so Whoopster isn't sitting there all by her lonesome.

After all these years and all these co-hosts, it's beyond time to hire a Latina. They've auditioned some repeatedly but never hired one.

If they continue their trend of actresses in their midlife stage, but still young looking, and without current major TV commitments, I wonder if they've considered Eva Longoria.  The big barrier with her is "no kids and no plans to have them".  That's against the rules for a View co-host, I think.

Outside of the Hispanic fold, I find myself thinking about the kind of person they seem to hire and wonder why Maria Menounos hasn't been approached yet.  I'm personally not a fan, but she seems the kind of hire the show likes.  Also no kids though, although unlike with Longoria I don't know if that's by design.

Now those two are to fill Jenny's seat.  To fill Sherry's I am hoping and praying they don't go anywhere near Nene Leakes.  Please no.  I don't even watch the show that often and the possibility STILL terrifies me.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

Longoria would be a huge get but I don't think there's a chance in hell she'd take it.

I don't think she's ever lived in the NE.

Maneounos --who is Greek-- might but she might be making more $$$ elsewhere?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/06/22/is-maria-menounos-gunning-for-guiliana-rancic-job/

This is a great job for some people but I don't think it's for everybody by any means.

Edited by Brownstone.Muir
(edited)

I also think it's time to hire a Latina, but for the life of me nobody springs to mind (and I've been married to a Puerto Rican for 44 years.)

I guess my point is,the women who my husband watches on TV (on Spanish stations),

are not well known to a lot of "white" Americans. (I realize there Hispanics of all colors,btw.)

This reminds me, that when some say Latina, others say Hispanic, which I think is a regional thing.

Although surely there are people who can find someone who would do well in the job no matter what we call them, or what they like to call themselves.

I  agree that Maria Menounos is Greek. She seems nice, but her laugh would get on my nerves, quickly!

Edited by ChiCricket

Put a fork in it-  the show is done

The concept has never worked-  There has always been too much talking over each other.

(and this year proved that there is no improvement with smaller groupings)

• Love 2

"The View" was dropped from my DVR when Joy was replaced by the vaccine-denier.  I'd been with them from the beginning, when it was a genuinely entertaining and informative talk show.  I even happened to attend a show taping the day the "young one" was dismissed.  Looking back, she was David Frost compared to the latest bunch.  

Sherri became even more immature, loud, and stupid with Jenny on her "team."  Sal must be crying into his beer at the prospect of losing his golden goose.  Whoopi the all-knowing sage has been tolerating her job for the $ for years.  

I don't know why Diane Sawyer or any respectable journalist would want this gig.  It could only sully their professional reputation.  "The View" deteriorated into a crass, silly, insulting-to-the-intelligence hackfest.  And boring too -- from reading the boards/blogs.  Despite how cheap it is to produce, maybe the show is finally done.

• Love 4

I agree with Tunia and others who question whether or not this show should continue at all.  A major overhaul is needed in terms of content and hosts.  If so........

Whoopi can serve out her contract and then they need someone else with less bombastic omnipotence and more intelligence and grace--who doesn't talk about her vajayjay. I don't see any credible journalist or A/B list star taking this task on.  Love the multi-cultural suggestions above.

Men?  Meh.  Kind of takes away from the women only, supporting women's views, etc.  Does that even matter at this point?  Mario Cantone doesn't have enough material and would get tiresome--I, too, am tired of Liza/Judy impressions.  Update your material, dude. Ross, I like, but his voice might grate.  He's sweet, LOVES stars, and has a sense of humor about himself and other things.

• Love 2

Honestly, what the show needs is a few no name people actually share their OWN thoughts on the topics at hand. Get rid of the scripts.... have interviews with actual follow up questions based on the answers provided.... and stop being a ABC show commercial....

• Love 5
(edited)

Maneounos --who is Greek-- might but she might be making more $$$ elsewhere?

When I said "out of the Hispanic fold" I meant "outside" (meaning "not part of").  I guess that wasn't clear.  I've edited the post and changed "out" to "outside" to make that clearer. (I knew she was Greek)

Edited by Kromm

The main problem with the View is the moderator. When Barbara took over on Fridays the show immediately improved. Meredith was the best. Whoopi and Rosie can't moderate.

I'd like to see a journalist in the moderator chair. If they need star power- how about Katie Couric? If not even a local news anchor will do. Anyone would be an improvement.

In term of panelists. Please, please, please add someone in their 20s. And it shouldn't be nepotism case Abby Huntsman. There has to be an intelligent college grad in the NYC area.

I'd also like to see a latino on the panel. Am I the only one who doesn't want to see famous names? They can be nobodies and the show would be just as good. It's about what they say not who they are. The View made household names out of Elizabeth and Joy. They weren't that famous before.

And please don't add a guy. This is a woman's show.

• Love 2

I think Whoopie and Rosie were terrific moderators.  Shows with BW in the main chair were weren't worth watching.  I do hope WG will stay where she is, because she's unique and I love her "eff you" attitude.  I think a panel with Whoopie, Joy, Margaret, Rosie, and a strong and intelligent conservative or two would be terrific, but that's in my world.

• Love 1

Meredith Vieira was on the Today Show this morning and she said she heard rumors of Rosie coming back plus Laila Ali, and that they may be adding guys! Either she's reading this forum, or she knows something :-)

• Love 1
(edited)

Rosie and Whoopi on the same panel would, IMO, be a disaster.  Both are too strongly opinioned.   Should they agree on an issue, they'll loudly overrun any other panel members and their agreement with each other will be boring.  Yet, if they don't agree on an issue, we're right back to the shouting matches/lectures of the past.  Neither situation will make for a better show.

Frankly, I don't care much for Rosie and didn't like her tenure on The View.  She's just so damn loud, and her accent drives me nuts.  I can't imagine Whoopi agreeing to sit beside her as it once again becomes The Rosie Show.   Both need to be RIGHT all the time, and I don't see it meshing.  Whoopi isn't one to acquiesce to another...

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

Ideally, I'd like to see a panel with a news veteran as moderator, one comedian, someone in their twenties, and someone in their thirties.  Norah O'Donnell, Whoopi, and Margaret Hoover come to mind.  I can't think of anyone in their twenties.  

And my suggestion is to replace one panelist a year starting with the twenty year old.

I would like to see Rosie Perez on the show, she's got a sense of humor, is from NY, and is always a good guest when I see her on talk shows. How about Amy Sedaris? Someone mentioned Soledad O'Brien, she'd be great! What about Anna Devere Smith? All I'm saying is if they got rid of everyone except Whoopi then at least they've identified the problem. Whoopi is an opinionated, articulate, intelligent woman, those two-just no. They brought the level of conversation lower, but I confess haven't watched the show at all since Jenny McCarthy was hired-giving her a job on this show elevated her profile, along with her dangerous, uninformed views regarding immunizations. Don't want Rosie back either, I hope the show goes forward and not backwards-you really can't go home again.

I don't have anyone in particular in mind to replace Sherri or Jenny. Even if someone has been a guest and did well, that doesn't mean they will do well as a regular.

Although I don't care for Sherri, Whoopi has become quite annoying to me. She just knows it all in a very pompous way.

I think The View should be done. If ABC wants to fill the slot, it should be with a whole new show.

• Love 2

Dream casting would have an unannounced Bonnie Hunt step out on the stage first show post summer break as new moderator.  And technology would be such I could capture the sound of Walters' head exploding as my ring tone.

What the has lacked is good comedic and improvisational skills.  They need someone with sharp biting stand-up skills like Nikki Glasser.  As well as someone with a more thoughtful ability to improvise off others.  Like Rachel Harris.

If the truly wants to survive and Disney isn't just killing the show softly by winnowing the cast ad contracts expire, they need to see what works at night and modify it.  Smart move would be to poach Samantha Bee from the Daily Show.  She is in NYC already and has a recognizable factor and has a hipper image without being seen as too young and inexperienced.

• Love 4

Dream casting would have an unannounced Bonnie Hunt step out on the stage first show post summer break as new moderator.  And technology would be such I could capture the sound of Walters' head exploding as my ring tone.

What the has lacked is good comedic and improvisational skills.  They need someone with sharp biting stand-up skills like Nikki Glasser.  As well as someone with a more thoughtful ability to improvise off others.  Like Rachel Harris.

If the truly wants to survive and Disney isn't just killing the show softly by winnowing the cast ad contracts expire, they need to see what works at night and modify it.  Smart move would be to poach Samantha Bee from the Daily Show.  She is in NYC already and has a recognizable factor and has a hipper image without being seen as too young and inexperienced.

While Nikki is a comic genius, and certainly would never turn down a gig as big as this, I can't see the stuffed shirts at ABC actually hiring her for this.

(edited)

I would like to see Rosie Perez on the show, she's got a sense of humor, is from NY, and is always a good guest when I see her on talk shows.

So now you have me wondering if I have a problem with grating accents or just don't like women named Rosie, as RP is another that I can't get behind.  Geez...I didn't even like listening to her when she was a call-in on Frasier.

Speaking of accents, don't even get me started on Fran Drescher...OY!!!

ETA:

Wouldn't going to The View be stepping down (MANY steps) for either Eva Longoria or Diane Sawyer?  I think both of them can buy and sell this show.

Can't really see Longoria going for this as she seems to be firmly planted in the left coast lifestyle.  Diane Sawyer has stated she just wants to pursue independent investigative pieces, et al, after her tenure on The World News.  It doesn't sound as though she has any firm plans, commitments or contracts lined up at the moment.  It's always all about the money or the power.  If ABC were to give her carte blanche to be in charge and run the show, backing it up with an interesting enough salary, maybe she would consider stepping back.  It seems like that was one of her reasons for leaving TWN anyway.  She may be at a point where she doesn't want to be as busy as she was as a news anchor, and just wants to "chill" a bit while making good enough bucks.  After all, it worked with Whoopi!

--------------------------------------------

Coming back in to throw out the name of Ann Curry.  (Apparently I have a preference for intelligent newscaster-level women.)  Any thoughts?

Edited by Tunia

Realistically I could see Whoopi, and the new and improved Rosie, and Star and bring back Joy as well. Or a smart conservative or 2, or a younger bright woman.

Anyone that didn't talk about sex and dance all the time as well as consider reality shows culture. (confess I watch a couple but not as much as I do the news for sure.)

Seems to me that women such as Diane Sawyer, Nora Roberts, Ann Curry would never, ever consider a move like this.

Honestly.... The View was at it's best when Rosie was on the panel..... It would be interesting to see both Rosie at Whoopi on the same table..... I think Whoopi would become less blah...... the one thing I really hope is who ever is the next executive producer, they leave the political views to the hosts and not the ear piece.

• Love 4

Wouldn't going to The View be stepping down (MANY steps) for either Eva Longoria or Diane Sawyer?  I think both of them can buy and sell this show.

One could have argued the same of Rosie and then Whoopie. 

• Love 1

I was running through the potential Latina list in my head, figuring they want late 30s to late 40s, still good looking, reasonably famous already but not TOO famous, reasonably well spoken, and came to the conclusion there are a few dozen candidates I'd be alright with... as long as none of them are Daisy Fuentes!

• Love 1

It's crazy that The View never had a millennial.

Millennials -- those born after 1981 -- are getting older.

Yet Barbara never tapped one of them.

They replaced Elisabeth, who was 36 when she left, with somebody 5 years older.

I thought that was the point of The View, to have one young person.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's crazy that The View never had a millennial.

Millennials -- those born after 1981 -- are getting older.

Yet Barbara never tapped one of them.

They replaced Elisabeth, who was 36 when she left, with somebody 5 years older.

I thought that was the point of The View, to have one young person.

At some point Babs redefined the show, I suppose, so that it didn't include the Debbie Matenopoulos/Lisa Ling 20-something POV, I guess.  Maybe Elisabeth (the third of that trio, since she was also in her twenties when she started) is what killed it dead.  Then again, the show has had lots of stupid older people on it too.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

It is funny that everyone's talking about types rather than the best three people they can find. Not that I disagree because this is what it's about in the year 2014. Who can get you numbers (that will watch)?

With that in mind I do think they will try to get a glam-type, educated-type, youth-type. If they can find a Jewish, Latina, Conservative, within those types --great-- they will likely go for them.

It is ironic too that Whoopi's disheveled look will almost require them to get at least one really good looking gal. I don't know what kind of political profile Brooke S. has but she's probably not an ideologue whatever she is? Of all the names mentioned I think if she wants the job, it's hers. Maybe Allie Wentworth too because of her ABC connection.  Everybody else has to fight for those open 2/3 spots.

Well, if The view has to continue:

Laila Ali has always done well as a guest co-host, and I'd like to see her get a seat at the table.  She's intelligent, well-informed, appropriate, and she has stage presence.

Diane Sawyer is leaving World News, and she's already in ABC's stable...

I don't really think Sawyer would take the job, but I would love to see Laila Ali. 

If they had fired Whoopi, my happiness would be complete.  She is a know-it-all bully; she is not articulate when she does have a good point, and she is not a good moderator.  So, I would like to see Whoopi replaced by someone like Debra Roberts or Lisa Ling's sister (Laura).  Laura is very intelligent and articulate and has opinions, but is not pushy.  She is a good listener.  My choices for a young co-host (who would also be Latina), would be Heather Mennens (21) from Hellcats, Aubrey Plaza (25) from Parks and Recs, or Sabrina Bryan (26) who was a Cheeta Girl.

I would love to see them give Margaret Cho a chance.  My favorite is Kathy Griffin, but with the bigger names, come the big egos.  The candidates should be mostly underknowns (not entirely unknown) but not big enough that they want to be the star of the show.  That is why I think Whoopi and Rosie wouldn't work.  They've each been the "star" too long.

My choice for the older lady would be Jeanne Moos.  I think she would be amusing and she's smart.  

I want to hear their opinions, but I don't want them to cast based on political affiliaton.  I also would like to see them come out and discuss the topics "cold."  I think they should give them the topics in the make-up room so they can gather their thoughts, but I don't want to hear rehashed opinions regurgitated at the table. 

• Love 1
(edited)

If Rosie were to sign on, I'm wondering who would become the moderator?  Rosie has too strong a personality and wants to be in charge, so I can't see her agreeing to be second banana to Whoopi.  Whoopi may not be the best moderator, but I can't see her taking a demotion and taking a back seat to Rosie.  Classic power struggle.  Would their shared interests (Broadway, movies, stand-up) be too much of the same thing?  Ultimately, under these circumstances, I'd bet Whoopi would pack up her tent(s) and leave.

They really need someone with a different background and someone with real intelligence who can discuss true "hot topics" other than DWTS and The Bachelor - that's why I'd like to see a Diane Sawyer/Ann Curry type on board to get rid of some of the "fluff".  Agreed that DS and AC may not be interested, but I throw those names out as more of a type, rather than specific names. 

The show has pandered to the lowest common denominator for too long.  ABC doesn't seem to understand that if I wanted to know about DWTS, etc., I'd actually watch those shows...and if I were to watch them, I wouldn't need to have them poorly discussed ad nauseam on The View.  If they're going to make changes, let it be real change and upgrade.

The idea of men permanently on the panel leaves me cold.

ETA:  Morgalisa and I were posting about the same time, so I apologize for my repetition of some of her points.

Debra Roberts is another good suggestion, Morgalisa.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

Bringing this from the Media Thread:

If The View must continue [/shudder the thought], here's my dream team pick for The View:

1.  Judge Judy (moderator maybe?). Judge Judy doesn't play. She's smart and quick witted. I know her current show displays a more exaggerated version of herself; but I think Judy would bring a lot to the table.

2.  If they hire a man or two, it should be Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson and Jeff Goldblum. Dr. Tyson is serious about creating scientifically literate people! The world benefits tremendously from that. He is also funny.

Jeff Goldblum is highly intelligent and delightfully quirky and funny.

3.  I can't think of anyone else right now.

Bottom line, I would like to see intelligence, wisdom, and quirk reflected on the show. There would be serious discussions about topics that actually matter!

I know NONE of these people would work for the show; I'm just dreaming.

Who is everyone else's dream team pick?

I wonder how much money Rosie could really demand after her unbelievably awful variety show and destined to fail OWN show.  I hope she says yes though.  None of the Latin women really stood out to me.  But I do like Beverly Johnson from Fashion Queens, but I didn't watch when she guest hosted.

I can't imagine Whoopi really caring about the moderator chair.  It's really a pointless title anyways. And you really can't expect a revamp to retool a dying show by keeping the same executive producer. 

• Love 2