Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S04.E16: Sweet White Glove o' Mine

Recommended Posts

After reading more about what white glove service is, I realize I have had that experience. Norwegian Cruise Line used to serve meals in their French restaurant, Le Bistro, in a "white glove service" manner. They didn't wear white gloves but the meals were served all at the same time and each patron had their own server. After the plates were placed on the table, all the servers counted one to three (in French) then picked up the cloches to reveal the food. It was lovely and I felt so special when we dined in that restaurant on board NCL's ships. Unfortunately, that service was nixed a few years ago.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

First, why is Sandy in every scene?  I expect her to come of the bathroom in Jack and Aesha's room next.

Haha, totally would not put it past her to tell them why their performance wasn't up to par in her professional opinion.

21 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

After reading more about what white glove service is, I realize I have had that experience. Norwegian Cruise Line used to serve meals in their French restaurant, Le Bistro, in a "white glove service" manner. They didn't wear white gloves but the meals were served all at the same time and each patron had their own server. After the plates were placed on the table, all the servers counted one to three (in French) then picked up the cloches to reveal the food. It was lovely and I felt so special when we dined in that restaurant on board NCL's ships. Unfortunately, that service was nixed a few years ago.

We didn't wear gloves either. I mean, it's not really about the gloves. Regardless, the gloves they had looked really silly and they did look like Mickey Mouse.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not buying the "tiff" between Sandy & Joao. Both could hardly keep a straight face through the scene and some of the "reprimand" from Sandy seemed like it was added in post production bc we never see her mouth/face during some of that. It's there likely to show that Joao is not a "teacher's pet." 

The relationship-posal by Jack was sweet. Aesha was cute there. But it's sad reading the commentary here about Jack not really seeming to mean it bc he had a GF on standby at home and he and Aesha didn't last. I wouldn't put it past a guy to do that just to get sex "FINALLY" but idk...he seemed genuine at the time. And too stupid and simple to be crafty enough to put on a show like that without meaning it. 

Sandy is annoying and honestly- she *IS* in EVERY scene. I'm over her. Go back to the wheelhouse and away from ...everywhere else on the yacht. 

Ben is right. Hannah is a great dictator when she doesn't get along with the other stews. Ben's been doing this job and been on yachts long enough that he is (like him or not) a sage when it comes to dynamics on a ship. Hannah and the balloons 😬 Kind of embarrassing how they were the center of the decor for a white party. Just NOW they decide to buckle down and look around the ship for decor?!?!

Anastasia is still a snot. The way she mouthed off to Ben about how he is allowed to dress vs the way she was allowed? And him having a legit reason and her answering "it doesn't annoy me any less." GTFO. Where is Shep Rose from "Southern Charm" here?- "I'm not gonna die on the cross for you." What does Anastasia want from Ben? She is so salty that he came in and kicked the galley's ass.

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Lamima said:

Hannah seems to be phoning it in. Maybe it's time to move on to another job. 

Um, why did Aesha get to go to dinner and not have to stay on the boat, sorting table decor, like the other 2 gals? I'd have been irked if I was Anastasia.

I bet this is editing, and Hannah already knew that Jack wanted to take her out on a date that night.

7 hours ago, Special K said:

I just think Hannah is lazy and phoning it in at this point.  If she really had objections to how white-glove service seemed ("tacky") she could have redirected Aesha's contribution to something that gave the same luxe effect.  Instead, I think the truth was when she said "I don't want to" or more to the point, "I can't be bothered exerting myself."

I've never been a Hannah sympathizer - she seems to be mediocre at her job at best. But perhaps fatigue is setting in for the whole crew.

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I think she was covering her *not* knowing what it is by instantly agreeing to it. Did she think it just meant "wearing white gloves"? Because that's exactly how Aesha was presenting it.

I think so too, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hannah didn't know either, although she certainly should. It probably is a cheesy thing to attempt in this milieu, especially since they don't have the manpower to execute it properly.

I am done with Sandy and her mixed messages to the crew. Her meddling and interference has become very tiring. It has not resulted in any bigger tips for them than under Lee's captainship, so she is nothing more than a camera whore.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Hannah was far more enthusiastic with her ideas for that ridiculous girlfriend proposal than for any dinner or party we’ve seen this season. How on earth was this the first time they took inventory of all the decorative crap they have on the boat? If I were chief stew I’d be looking for all that stuff on day 1, making notes on what kind of themes I could pull off with what I had and heading out to a shop in port to supplement if I needed to. The guests don’t always have specific themes in mind on their preference sheets so a good chief stew would have a couple ready to pull out of a hat even if the theme was just quiet elegance. 

Having said all that, the tablescapes on this show always make me laugh because it’s a bunch of crap from the $1 aisle at Target. I always wonder if a person forking over $10-$15,000 for a tip ever finds any of it to be at all classy or elegant. Surely they could come up with something better?

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

But it's sad reading the commentary here about Jack not really seeming to mean it bc he had a GF on standby at home and he and Aesha didn't last. I wouldn't put it past a guy to do that just to get sex "FINALLY" but idk...he seemed genuine at the time. And too stupid and simple to be crafty enough to put on a show like that without meaning it. 

I mean Jack mentioned the gf and the break on the show and Aesha seems fine with Jack and this fling on IG, he’s deleted his so who knows what’s up with him currently, so I think she knew what was up and wasn’t deceived by him.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

15 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I liked it!  I get it!  It is the end of the season and the crew is DONE.  This little escape is just that, an escape from the usual work.

I just saw the commercial for his season and I can't believe he did it.  He has gone Hollywood.

Exactly right.  I follow him on Insta and he and his wife are always flying around the country making appearances, attending book signings for the "Stud of the Sea" book he/someone wrote, etc.  It makes me sad, because like you, I think the OG Lee would have had mostly none of it.  I get striking while the iron is hot, but he should be very selective and insist on some editing power with his image.  Maybe that's not doable as a Bravo ho.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated · Reason: Tried to fix a goofy sentence
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, PaperTree said:

did a little digging and it seems they use 1.5 liter 4 cylinder, 4 stroke engines, probably with electronic ignition - no spark plugs.  Priced from $10K to $20K.

Before Sandy went off about the spark plugs she specifically asked if it had a spark plug and Joao said yes and he was seen unscrewing the spark plug while insisting it wasn’t the spark plug so it definitely has spark plugs. 

  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think the reason they started the “Sandy in every scene trying to cause trouble” was because there was nothing else going on. The guests were nice, the food was good and getting out hot and the crew was getting along.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't recall any complaints about the interior other than June not listening to the radio before this episode.

What there was other friction between Hanna and Sandy and Hanna and Ben but Bravo didn't bother to air it in the previous episodes?

Don't recall any complaint about the girls getting too much sleep.

The gf proposal was cheesy but everyone else was all "Awwww ..."  They seem to be popular with the rest of the crew, even if they come across as gross at times on the show.

Not sure the white gloves was a thing.  But Sandy got to chew out Hanna in front of the whole crew so Bravo is happy.

Sandy hovering may also be a TV thing.  She has nothing to do with the bookings so what does she care if these fake charter guests really think they've had a "5-star experience."

Bravo might as well just be honest with its intentions and have a season where all the charter guests are D-list celebrities or social media stars like The Amazing Race has done a couple of times.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, scrb said:

What there was other friction between Hanna and Sandy and Hanna and Ben but Bravo didn't bother to air it in the previous episodes?

Ben has yelled at Hannah a few times since he joined the show. One thing I thought was funny about Sandy and Ben bitching about Hannah serving breakfast alone is that Anastasia delivered part of the breakfast when it was literally right outside the galley where Ben just kept calling for Hannah. Also, for Sandy’s bitching that Hannah couldn’t have delivered four plates initially was that Ben didn’t plate the eggs Benedict on individual plates but two platters and Hannah easily served it.

Next week Sandy is going to bitch that three deck hands are out doesn’t acknowledge that one of that crew is sleeping because they have one more person. Ben might not have the same regimented breaks but that is on him and how he manages his schedule, he slept before any of the people who stayed up.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/16/2019 at 9:52 PM, snarts said:

So Captain Sandy decided there wasn't enough drama so she decided to create some?  Imagine Captain Lee focusing on table decor.

Eh, Captain Lee has Kate and Kate makes beautiful tables. Hannah makes crappy tables when she can just go on Pinterest or Martha Stewart’s IG for inspiration. It’s lazy. It is ridiculous that Hannah doesn’t care about creating an excellent experience for her guests, and yes, effort in table decor can impact guest experience. It’s the attention to detail that matters at that level. The least they can do is get fresh floral arrangements. If I went to a fancy yacht and they just had beads or feather boas on the table, I’d find it tacky. I just think this speaks to a bigger issue that I have with Hannah in that she half-asses everything, but she’s extremely critical of others and is amused when they make mistakes. 

Also, if Hannah was not a fan of the white glove service idea, instead of saying “no”, she could have brainstormed other ideas that were just as fancy. Aesha has been the best and most consistent stew she’s had in a while - indulge in her ideas for a bit.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

Hannah was far more enthusiastic with her ideas for that ridiculous girlfriend proposal than for any dinner or party we’ve seen this season.

Very true. From the moment Hannah found out what Jack was going to do, she got so excited. That spurred her to run around on her own time to get champagne, make a decorative fruit plate and suggest ideas for the surprise. Granted, it was all things the boys had already thought of, but still. I can't remember ever seeing Hannah be so sincerely excited and happy about something. It was such a sharp contrast from the typical bored, sarcastic Hannah we've seen for several seasons now who pretty much just does the minimum to keep Sandy off her back.

Maybe Colin really should have had a heart-to-heart talk with Hannah about not continuing to stay at a job where you no longer feel any sense of fulfillment or passion. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

 Ben has had several hours of downtime to fix the burners and he hasn’t, as I said he was talking out of his ass that the burners could easily be fixed. 

It’s also not rocket science to get whites on a poached egg not be mucus like  and since he he has been doing it for twenty years it shouldn’t take three times to get a tight white on a poached egg.

i mean last week he declared both that the galley was way too small and also he didn’t notice that they didn’t have 200 eggs!!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Otherkate said:

 Anyway, all that to say that no way in hell is this crew set up to deliver that kind of experience. It's a joke and totally unfair to expect if of them. 

The clients tend to be fairly wasted by dinner time.  "White glove" service could be really watered down.  Wear gloves.  Have a server for each guest.  Come into the dining area in a line, place the plates down at roughly the same time.  That'd be enough to dazzle the clients on this boat.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Again did the clients really ask for white dinner party or something the producers came up with?

These guests looked like regular people, who’d have no reason to want quaint old traditions on a boat which has gone through some rough seas.

Fine dining is still a niche which is around but the restaurants which require people to dress formally, like men putting on jackets and ties, are fairly rare these days.

But we’ve seen on both BD shows that they have much less formal themes for dinners, like togas and such.

So the crews on both BD shows are not unlike maybe the wait staff at places like Hooters or TGI Friday’s which may sing happy birthday for guests.

This call for elegant table settings and dressed-up servers seems inconsistent.  If the next charter guests call for them to be dressed like amusement park characters in hot, stuffy costumes, won’t they do it for “good TV?”

So much for “5 star service” then.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, scrb said:

Again did the clients really ask for white dinner party or something the producers came up with?

I suspect that the producers have a list of themes/outings/activities they offer to guests and have the guests pick them in advance.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

First, why is Sandy in every scene?  I expect her to come of the bathroom in Jack and Aesha's room next.

SNORT!!!  Perhaps she can ask Aesha if Jack was hot enough and if she was pleased overall?

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

18 minutes ago, Maccagirl said:

SNORT!!!  Perhaps she can ask Aesha if Jack was hot enough and if she was pleased overall?

Or perhaps she could interrupt to tell them: "Don't run away from love."  Or whatever cheesy, inappropriate thing it was she said to Hannah during her Conrad meltdown.  😛

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Special K said:

Or perhaps she could interrupt to tell them: "Don't run away from love."  Or whatever cheesy, inappropriate thing it was she said to Hannah during her Conrad meltdown.  😛

Yes, the possibilities of Sandy's interactions with this scenario are endless!  We need a mock-up on YouTube of this!!

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of themes, is this really a thing on a private yacht?  If so, wouldn't the crew receive preference sheets far enough in advance that they could go out and buy the appropriate accessories?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, NannyBails said:

Speaking of themes, is this really a thing on a private yacht?  If so, wouldn't the crew receive preference sheets far enough in advance that they could go out and buy the appropriate accessories?

excellent point. They are always looking at those sheets 12 or 24 hours before the guests arrive. Doesn't make sense.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, dleighg said:

excellent point. They are always looking at those sheets 12 or 24 hours before the guests arrive. Doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure that's just for (the) show. They have to have already ordered provisions and the appropriate type and amount of food at that point.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, NannyBails said:

Speaking of themes, is this really a thing on a private yacht?  If so, wouldn't the crew receive preference sheets far enough in advance that they could go out and buy the appropriate accessories?

My guess is that it's strictly a TV thing, just to have the cast dress up in costumes, sometimes inappropriately.

Of course for what they pay for charters, a crew might be wiling to do anything for tips.

But is the crew out to run the yacht or to entertain?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

 Ben has had several hours of downtime to fix the burners and he hasn’t, as I said he was talking out of his ass that the burners could easily be fixed. 

The burners are for the engineer to fix as is the wave runner.  All for show.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, scrb said:

My guess is that it's strictly a TV thing, just to have the cast dress up in costumes, sometimes inappropriately.

Of course for what they pay for charters, a crew might be wiling to do anything for tips.

But is the crew out to run the yacht or to entertain?

Theme dinner would mean you would have to pack a costume, who wants to pack crap you really don't need but once?  I don't even like to go to a costume party on dry land.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Theme dinner would mean you would have to pack a costume, who wants to pack crap you really don't need but once?  I don't even like to go to a costume party on dry land.

I absolutely agree but then remembered a Nile cruise we took earlier this year. Seven days, and one of them was "galabeya party" which apparently is a "thing." All the shops you see that day know that you have to buy one (fortunately they are not expensive). Something I never would have done if not "forced to" in good fun. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

One thing that bugs me about how they decorate the tables is that sometimes they sit on the table and sometimes their feet (and shoes) are on the table, too. 

So true! I always assumed they wipe down the tables after they get off it, but still.

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, jumper sage said:

The burners are for the engineer to fix as is the wave runner.  All for show.

The engineer can’t fix them and apparently they have had the repair people in at least twice but my point was that Ben was talking out of his ass to Anastasia when he said they should get them replaced immediately  and bill the owner later. Several people said of course Ben would get it done because he is a “professional”.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, terrymct said:

Have a server for each guest.

There were 8 guests, they don’t have enough people for that shit and Sandy was certainly not going to be helping out.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, jumper sage said:

The burners are for the engineer to fix as is the wave runner.  All for show.

Very true. Since when does the chef do the repairs? I thought Ben was going to call the proper people to have the burners fixed or replaced.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, luvthepros said:

Very true. Since when does the chef do the repairs? I thought Ben was going to call the proper people to have the burners fixed or replaced.

I wasn’t asking for Ben to repair them himself, he just talked down to Anastasia about how easily they could be fixed and acted like they hadn’t attempted to do that before he arrived. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I absolutely agree but then remembered a Nile cruise we took earlier this year. Seven days, and one of them was "galabeya party" which apparently is a "thing." All the shops you see that day know that you have to buy one (fortunately they are not expensive). Something I never would have done if not "forced to" in good fun. 

Thanks for the warning!  We cruise with Viking and so far, no need for costumes!  I really would love to cruise the Nile, must have been fabulous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, Snickerdoodle said:

One thing that bugs me about how they decorate the tables is that sometimes they sit on the table and sometimes their feet (and shoes) are on the table, too. 

EXACTLY!  They make a big deal about making guests take their shoes off to walk around the yacht and then Aesha gets up on the table crawling around in her sneakers?  Gross.  I would have put a towel down or something if I was forced to get up on a table with my shoes on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, beesknees said:

They make a big deal about making guests take their shoes off to walk around the yacht and then Aesha gets up on the table crawling around in her sneakers

The reason for that is not about cleanliness but that dirt, heals and dark soles shoed can damage the teak.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The reason for that is not about cleanliness but that dirt, heals and dark soles shoes can damage the teak.

Agreed.  But aren't they ruining the beautifully lacquered wooden table by scuffing and walking around the table top in shoes?  I'm sure that dining room table cost several thousand dollars.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, beesknees said:

Agreed.  But aren't they ruining the beautifully lacquered wooden table by scuffing and walking around the table top in shoes?  I'm sure that dining room table cost several thousand dollars.

I think the shoes the crew wears on deck are soft-soled shoes, like slippers.  Or Sandy wears white-soled boat shoes, no?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I can't stand seeing those scenes where the stewardess crawls up on the table to make the arrangements. I think that table is really dumb. How are. you supposed have elegant over the top table setting settings and a decor on a table with a giant lazy susan in the middle? 

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

How are. you supposed have elegant over the top table setting settings and a decor on a table with a giant lazy susan in the middle? 

Good point. There's no way to even do a standard, elegant, table cloth. I realized when you wrote that that this is why we get those weird, crumpled, and stuffed wrappings around the susan.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

There were 8 guests, they don’t have enough people for that shit and Sandy was certainly not going to be helping out.

She may have, if it involved more time in front of a camera!  

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post

Well the shoes on the table is nasty but what about Aesha?

She uses those same fingers that she pleasures herself with to carry in food! She might even have touched her poo! 

That’s gross as......well poo!

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/18/2019 at 11:26 AM, scrb said:

My guess is that it's strictly a TV thing, just to have the cast dress up in costumes, sometimes inappropriately.

Of course for what they pay for charters, a crew might be wiling to do anything for tips.

But is the crew out to run the yacht or to entertain?

This got me thinking, has anyone had to dress up in a demeaning, inappropriate, or otherwise embarrassing costume this season?

On 9/17/2019 at 7:55 AM, HunterHunted said:

Hannah has never loved to do tablescapes or centerpieces. The tablescapes were certainly more enthusiastic when Bugsy and Brooke did them, but they were always really tacky. I've never understood why they can't just do flowers. Is it because it's October in the Mediterranean? The Mothership tends to use flowers in addition to the dollar store crap. I'm sure it's easier to find flowers in the spring in tropical locations.

I'm pretty sure you can easily get flowers in the Med, even in October.  It might be hard to get specific flowers, but does anyone think that Hannah really cares if they are Sweet Akito Roses vs Titanic Light Pink Roses?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe not this season or BDM but Ashton had to come out in a diaper.

I doubt something like that happens on yacht charters outside of reality TV.

I suppose some sleazy rich guy could aggressively come on to young female crew, sexually harass them, offer them a lot of money or threaten to get them fired.

So these situations requiring cast to do something goofy are made for TV, kind of ridiculous but not as disgusting as it could be since it has to be sanitized for TV too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, scrb said:

Maybe not this season or BDM but Ashton had to come out in a diaper.

They all had to dress in pretty distasteful, even offensive, "Tahitian" dress that season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

This got me thinking, has anyone had to dress up in a demeaning, inappropriate, or otherwise embarrassing costume this season?

Well they did make Jack wear a dirty mop on his head all season. That sucks.

  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size