Type keyword(s) to search

The Posh Frock Shop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"This new series follows designer Ian Stuart and his team at his opulent London boutique."

Is anyone watching this?  Hulu suggested it to me when I started my account.  Looks like a British "say yes to the dress", but not just for wedding gowns.

The formula seems to be - one obnoxious client, one heartwarming client, and a little comic relief.  Just about right for when I want to watch something but not expend too many brain cells.  I have some opinions about one episode in particular, but I'll wait to see if anyone else is even watching.

ETA - I've flagged to ask a mod to correct the title - should be "The Posh Frock Shop"

On 9/25/2019 at 6:19 PM, Travellin said:

Hi!  I'm watching!  Last night I saw the first one that gave me the creeps - Ian hired an 'actress' to play a Bridezilla (which she did to perfection) to 'test' his staff.  

I'm enjoying it for the most part...

Oh I know, right?  She played the part a little too well.  I think if I was on his staff, I would have said, you got me this time, but if you pull something like this again, I'm out of here!  Even if it means I have to sell pinecones on the street with the lederhosen guy.

I do admire their restraint and tact, but the one that did bug me was the one with the two brides.  They came in with a specific budget, which is itself kind of unusual for the show.  They each found a gown that I thought looked great on them, and also coordinated with the other, without being matchey-matchey. 

Spoiler

But, of course, the two gowns were like twice their budget.  And instead of saying, now we know what you like, let's find those elements in  something at a lower price point, they basically said, y'all work it out (I may be exaggerating a little, but that's the gist), and one of them ended up giving up her dream gown for so her fiancee could have hers.

Okay, got that off my chest 🙂

Edited by SoMuchTV
Edited to add a spoiler tag for the "reveal", in case anyone wants to be surprised.
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh I know, right?  She played the part a little too well.  I think if I was on his staff, I would have said, you got me this time, but if you pull something like this again, I'm out of here!  Even if it means I have to sell pinecones on the street with the lederhosen guy.

I do admire their restraint and tact, but the one that did bug me was the one with the two brides.  They came in with a specific budget, which is itself kind of unusual for the show.  They each found a gown that I thought looked great on them, and also coordinated with the other, without being matchey-matchey.  But, of course, the two gowns were like twice their budget.  And instead of saying, now we know what you like, let's find those elements in  something at a lower price point, they basically said, y'all work it out (I may be exaggerating a little, but that's the gist), and one of them ended up giving up her dream gown for so her fiancee could have hers.  Okay, got that off my chest 🙂

Absolutely, I'd go and dye flowers black for the Polish-lederhosen-wearing-florist.

Oooooh, I haven't seen that one yet!  The times it veers very close to "Say Yes to the Dress" is when the brides bring in 90 people.  There was one lovely bride who's mother was such a bagface, kept saying "I WILL know when it's the right dress" and "it's my day too!" 

On 9/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, Travellin said:

Absolutely, I'd go and dye flowers black for the Polish-lederhosen-wearing-florist.

Oooooh, I haven't seen that one yet!  The times it veers very close to "Say Yes to the Dress" is when the brides bring in 90 people.  There was one lovely bride who's mother was such a bagface, kept saying "I WILL know when it's the right dress" and "it's my day too!" 

Whoops, I shouldn't have spoiled it for you!  I hadn't really thought about spoiler etiquette for this kind of show, but I should probably try to make the references a little more vague.