Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Episode 4

LoveLeigh
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Yes, Noah is an asshole but still

There's another who is now a caricature. He's not just a asshole, he's a Super Asshole (the sex toy thing took the cake in its stupidity), but he's also a total bumbling idiot who gets shat upon by everyone, wherever he goes. He's a universal Whipping Boy, a clown who can do nothing right, ever, and who skulks around the edges of everyone elses' lives, trying to dodge the kicks and blows aimed at him. Enough already! We get it!

The only character on this show who doesn't treat him with total contempt and scorn is his daughter.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I still have not seen what is so compelling about him that would motivate her to live that way. From what we've glimpsed of him, he's boring, lazy, superior, sarcastic and seems to care only about himself. But maybe it's a "trip" to play at poverty when you know you can quit whenever you like. 

I don't think it's that. I think the entire attraction lies in the fact that she wants to feel needed and enjoys rebelling against the status quo. She met him at some party, he told her his sob story that he was going to be deported, she manufactured some outrage in herself about our "stupid immigration system," and resolved to be his savior.

• Love 3

Anyone remember what happened to his book money?

He had to defend himself for the trial but didn't Helen pay for a big time lawyer?

With this movie, he should be getting some money right?

At least he's not in that squalid place where he got stabbed while washing dishes.  Or whatever that turned out to be.

But he's driving a Hyundai in LA so ...

Did he ever had to pay child support?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I don't think it's that. I think the entire attraction lies in the fact that she wants to feel needed and enjoys rebelling against the status quo. She met him at some party, he told her his sob story that he was going to be deported, she manufactured some outrage in herself about our "stupid immigration system," and resolved to be his savior.

Maybe that's it. I have no idea what it's like to be a spoiled, entitled child who feels the need, at 24 years of age, to "rebel" against anything. 

6 hours ago, scrb said:

Whatever happened to that high-end apartment in which he was living with Alison and the baby? Did he own that, or were they just renting? It's so long between seasons I honestly can't remember much.

One of the things I liked best about the split perspective was seeing the same thing through two people's eyes.  So I was sooo curious as to what Helen was really wearing when Noah first saw her in the house.  When we used to see Helen and Noah's perspectives, she always looked way more glamorous in his than in hers.   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Whatever happened to that high-end apartment in which he was living with Alison and the baby? Did he own that, or were they just renting? It's so long between seasons I honestly can't remember much.

As I recall, there was a robust discussion in this forum about whether or not he could have really bought that apartment, because it was suggested in the show that he did.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/17/2019 at 9:53 AM, TexasGal said:

Other than echoing the thoughts above about Whitney's POV - was it necessary?  was she wearing a slip? - my other random thoughts were:

• They are so broke they can't pay the rent but she just THROWS WINE DOWN THE SINK because she thinks he doesn't want her to drink?

Either I'm a nitpicker or a lush (most likely both) bc that scene is STILL enraging me three days later. Why waste wine then be all 'oh I know you hate it when I drink which is why I totally have an open bottle of A to Z Pinot Gris in the refrigerator even though we can't afford coffee.' So stupid. Also, Whitney's methods to "wake up" for no apparent reason: booze, then coffee, then shower?

9 hours ago, GussieK said:

Possible unpopular opinion here but Helen has a lot of chutzpah treating Noah so badly given that he went to prison for her crime.  Yes, Noah is an asshole but still . . .   They act like they even forgot this plot point. It's like traditional soap operas where they can't keep the stories going for thirty years so they just throw arrows at a dartboard.   People who once hated each other end up married to each other and so on. 

ETA. This show is a mixed up mess but I keep watching. 

THIS. I have actively hated Noah for the most part (and frankly Dominic West must be exhausted at this point trying to sell this guy) but after season 3 the whole We Hate Dad shtick became too much. Noah actually did time AND pulled Whitney out of her mess with Furcat after he got out. Helen got with a rich dude she didn't really love and is now crying poverty in her house over that attention whore the Pacific ocean so maybe slow your roll, lady.

7 hours ago, scrb said:

Anyone remember what happened to his book money?

He had to defend himself for the trial but didn't Helen pay for a big time lawyer?

With this movie, he should be getting some money right?

At least he's not in that squalid place where he got stabbed while washing dishes.  Or whatever that turned out to be.

This show has similar money math to the Gilmore Girls reboot: Rory's broke even though she's got three separate trust funds. Noah plays poor so we can see what the Affair cost him, but he's actually a success. Helen lives in a million dollar home that she hated but she won't move and she's strapped. Margaret lost all her money, has to sell her house, her husband has dementia so he's spending whatever's left, but she doesn't feel that she should maybe go home immediately to manage those actual finances. 

Extra random thought: do any of the Solloways actually know Alison is dead? I mean, I'm sure they do but I miss Wilson and I'd rather hear the characters talk about her than watch Furcat.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
49 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

Helen got with a rich dude she didn't really love and is now crying poverty in her house over that attention whore the Pacific ocean so maybe slow your roll, lady.

OMG I totally forgot about that...absolutely loved it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

You know, I think I'm so annoyed (and angry) at the writing of this ep, & this season in general, because I expect much more of this show.  The prob is NOT with the actors.  Treem has mostly done a great job with casting (er, maybe except for Sasha & Furball).

I must admit, I thought the stuff with Margaret was a hoot.  Keep in mind, we're getting Helen's & Noah's POV's.  And in both of their POV's, Margaret is pretty much the most horrible & the biggest PITA mom ever.  But she's kinda hilarious.  If Joel is also supposed to be around for levity, it's flopping badly.  He's annoying, without being funny in the least.

But the stuff with Trevor is just bugging the shit outta me in particular cuz I was a gay teen & it was not so easy to navigate 30 years ago.  But now, I'd be curious how gay teens survive with social media & bullying & whatever else they face.  So did Treem even try to tackle any of that?  NO!  Her lazy-as-shit writers just copied a Glee ep from 5 years ago.  Blech!  OK, Treem, make Trevor gay, but make it interesting, otherwise, why bother?

My point is, the writing has become so damn predictable.  When Stacy was throwing a hissy fit, I knew it had to be she was having her period because that's all Treem's lazy-as-shit writers can come up with for a 12 year old girl to be upset about.  Well, at least Margaret provided some laughs in that situation.

The bit with Noah's prank baffled me.  I mean, that Margaret suggested it was funny.  But Noah actually doing it & that so much time was spent following Noah going thru with it was odd & a big waste of time.  Sure, we know Noah's a thoughtless asshole.  Him leaving that woman topless was so Noah.  But going thru with this prank seemed out of character for him.  And it was dumb to watch -- not to mention pitiful & pathetic, to see a 50 year old doing something so idiotic.

• Love 6

If they are just going to do little dribbles of this Joanie storyline then I would rather they didn't even bother. I find every character annoying, you know it's bad when Helen's mother was the bright spot for me this episode. I know that nobody is forcing me to watch this but I am going to finish the series out since I got this far. I kind of figured it would end up with Helen and Noah back together again but who knows what they will do?

• Love 8
7 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

When Stacy was throwing a hissy fit, I knew it had to be she was having her period because that's all Treem's lazy-as-shit writers can come up with for a 12 year old girl to be upset about.

I also saw that coming from a mile away, I was surprised they used that old trope.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Well, at least Margaret provided some laughs in that situation.

Yes.

Noah: "Do you have pads or tampons?" (tampons for a little girl for her first period? Whatever...I guess Noah wasn't thinking straight since it seems he never does anymore.)

Margaret: "Noah, I'm 73!"

14 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Either I'm a nitpicker or a lush (most likely both) bc that scene is STILL enraging me three days later. Why waste wine then be all 'oh I know you hate it when I drink which is why I totally have an open bottle of A to Z Pinot Gris in the refrigerator even though we can't afford coffee.'

That bugged the hell out of me too. She dumps the wine like a guilty school girl. Is she "not allowed" to have a glass of wine lest she bring down the disapproval of the great Colin? Even he said he didn't care. Did she think he was going to beat her? SO annoying.

And doesn't Whitney have a dress in her closet? Did she have to go to the party braless and in her slip? If anything I would imagine that would bother Colin a lot more than a glass of white wine.

• Love 3

I’m kind of embarrassed to admit I had a scarlet-colored slip dress similar to Whitney’s back in the 90’s and we did wear them out to clubs and parties.

I enjoyed her POV. Now that Vic’s gone, she’s the only attractive cast member left, and I’m shallow like that.

I can’t believe Noah stole that poor woman’s bra and left her topless. He had no intention of returning it either. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, LydiaE said:

I can’t believe Noah stole that poor woman’s bra and left her topless.

If she was dumb or drunk or desperate enough to agree to screw Noah "Chick Magnet" Solloway, of all people, in a parking lot, she deserves whatever she got. She was the aggressor and she's certainly old enough to have more sense. I wish I could understand what Noah has that is so utterly irresistible. Maybe I just don't see it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

All I could think of when Whitney crawled into bed with he boyfriend at the end is that you would think she would shower first because he would be able to smell another man on her.

That's a Butler (Helen's maiden name) women thing, they don't clean up after sex and before interacting with other people.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 9/15/2019 at 7:17 PM, texassunflower said:

RIP Cole. I thought it was possible that Joshua Jackson might make an appearance or two this season. I guess not unless it's a flashback. I could care less about Whitney and her point of view. She was half the show this week. I am surprised that Anna Paquin took this role. She's an established actress and she has had less than 30 minutes of screen time so far. I am not sure why I am watching at this point. I am not invested in any of the current storylines. I am waiting for Joanie's storyline to advance. I am interested in whether or not she discovers that Alison was murdered. 

It’s pretty hard to be invested at this point ~ the script is pure trash and the acting is horrific.  I too am only interested in finding out what happened to Cole and Joanie trashing all of her parents personal belongings I almost doubt if she really cares how her mother died.  

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

If they are just going to do little dribbles of this Joanie storyline then I would rather they didn't even bother. I find every character annoying, you know it's bad when Helen's mother was the bright spot for me this episode. I know that nobody is forcing me to watch this but I am going to finish the series out since I got this far. I kind of figured it would end up with Helen and Noah back together again but who knows what they will do?

But do we know this is the final season?  I agree we are getting closer to a Noah and Helen rematch 🙄

• Love 1
18 hours ago, endure said:

I agree we are getting closer to a Noah and Helen rematch

Oh, I hope not, and why, after all these years? I mean, Noah can have any woman he wants, so it seems, and Helen (with no effort of any kind) can attract a well-off, handsome, kind doctor and a big-name movie star. If she runs out of incredibly successful, talented, wealthy men, there's always good ol' successful, well-off Max, who has spent his whole life pining for her. You have to wonder how Noah and Helen stayed together as long as they did, when it seems there is a plethora of desirable partners who would just love to hook up with them.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4