Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Welcome To The Re-Rack

• Start Topic

“Welcome to the Re-Rack” – One year after the Johnsons moved next door to the Butlers, Dave is eager to take on a bigger role in Calvin’s annual Yardecue and prove how much a part of the community he’s become. But Calvin’s reaction makes it clear that, while the relationship between the two families has grown, the friendship between Calvin and Dave still has a way to go, on the second season premiere of THE NEIGHBORHOOD, Monday, Sept. 23(8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Did no one else catch this earlier this evening?

I had only seen one episode but now that The Big Bang Theory is over I needed another sitcom to take its place, heh. I enjoyed it. I liked the blonde wearing the earrings and how uncomfortable she was and laughed when the neighbour explained why she couldn't wear the peasant blouse. It's cute and I will definitely be tuning in next week. 

Now I just need to learn all the characters' names, lol. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Did no one else catch this earlier this evening?

I had only seen one episode but now that The Big Bang Theory is over I needed another sitcom to take its place, heh. I enjoyed it. I liked the blonde wearing the earrings and how uncomfortable she was and laughed when the neighbour explained why she couldn't wear the peasant blouse. It's cute and I will definitely be tuning in next week. 

Now I just need to learn all the characters' names, lol. 

The blonde is Beth Behrs, formally of "2 Broke Girls". For me, she's the only good thing on this show. I watched it last season because it was in a block of shows that I watched, but even though this was only the 1st episode of the 2nd season, it's already wearing thin for me. Cedric the Entertainer,  Calvin the neighbor, is ok but the gruff act is the same every time. Dave annoys him, Calvin gets mad at him, and then by the the end of the ep, they are friends again. I like Beth, but the rest of the show is just kind of there for me. It doesn't help that I watched "Bob" ( The new show after this one) and, again, while I like Billy Gardell, I just wasn't feeling the show. So I don't know if I'll last the season with the 2 shows. If sitcoms aren't really well written and funny, it seems kind of a waste of time.

• Love 1

Who brings what to a Black potluck or cookout is a huge deal - you can’t just announce that you’re bringing a main dish or a key side (like potato salad). And if you bring a main dish or key side & it’s not good, you’ll hear about it for the rest of your life. “Don’t let Dave bring the potato salad, he put raisins in it last year.” I felt like that wasn’t explained that well. There’s totally a hierarchy to that. 

Grover annoyed me less this episode - he was cute with his little love interest.

I like this show. It’s one of those shows that makes you feel good to watch.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, willco said:

The blonde is Beth Behrs, formally of "2 Broke Girls". For me, she's the only good thing on this show. I watched it last season because it was in a block of shows that I watched, but even though this was only the 1st episode of the 2nd season, it's already wearing thin for me. Cedric the Entertainer,  Calvin the neighbor, is ok but the gruff act is the same every time. Dave annoys him, Calvin gets mad at him, and then by the the end of the ep, they are friends again. I like Beth, but the rest of the show is just kind of there for me. It doesn't help that I watched "Bob" ( The new show after this one) and, again, while I like Billy Gardell, I just wasn't feeling the show. So I don't know if I'll last the season with the 2 shows. If sitcoms aren't really well written and funny, it seems kind of a waste of time.

I pretty much said the same thing to the DH last night.  Move on show....you've already established they're friends and actually like each other.  

53 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Who brings what to a Black potluck or cookout is a huge deal - you can’t just announce that you’re bringing a main dish or a key side (like potato salad). And if you bring a main dish or key side & it’s not good, you’ll hear about it for the rest of your life. “Don’t let Dave bring the potato salad, he put raisins in it last year.” I felt like that wasn’t explained that well. There’s totally a hierarchy to that. 

Grover annoyed me less this episode - he was cute with his little love interest.

I like this show. It’s one of those shows that makes you feel good to watch.

Black Jeopardy on SNL with the Black Panther guy.   

Dave is always way overstepping, and I think wanting to bring the main course was ludicrous, even without any further explanation. They need to fine tune the dynamic, because it's not only getting cringy, but it's also getting boring.

Meanwhile, even the long time locals think Curtis is too harsh.

I don't know how the reset it, but I also don't know why they haven't done so already. There's tons of material to mine here, Dave and Curtis could be an odd couple extraordinaire, and they already have the sons as the peanut gallery and/or Greek chorus.

I think the show just LIKES seeing the two guys re-enact the same conflict every episode.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I don't know thing one about Black potlucks specifically, but I definitely got the hierarchy thing from the show.  "Maybe next year you can bring ice"... 🙂

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don't know thing one about Black potlucks specifically, but I definitely got the hierarchy thing from the show.  "Maybe next year you can bring ice"... 🙂

Yeah, they kind of touched on it - Malcolm and Marty talked about how they weren't yet past bringing chairs.

The hierarchy is particularly important if the event is long-standing, as this is. On the flip side, if you are promoted to a key side or a main dish, it is a HUGE deal (hence Calvin saying he waited 20 years). In some families you might not get that honor until somebody dies. 

Nice to see that Malcolm has a job!

16 hours ago, willco said:

The blonde is Beth Behrs, formally of "2 Broke Girls". For me, she's the only good thing on this show.

I like her but there is no difference between the way she plays Gemma and the way she played Caroline on 2 Broke Girls (which I liked, though it declined the last few seasons). I suspect she's one of those actresses who kind of plays herself.

Happy this corny little show is back. I agree with @Empress1, it just makes you feel good.

I think I said this before, but Cedric and Tichina Arnold are pros and can make any material work. They are always a pleasure to watch. The friendship between the wives is great, and I have a soft spot for Max Greenfield as I'm a HUGE fan of New Girl and Schmidt is one of my favorite characters. Dave is a bit too smiley and clingy but it's fine, lol. It makes it even funnier when he does get angry or frustrated, because it's so not like him. Beth Behrs is more relaxed and likable here than in Two Broke Girls.

Malcolm and Marty are hilarious, and even Grover's awkwardness has a certain charm. Welcome back Butlers and Johnsons!

• Love 5