Type keyword(s) to search

Martha: Who Knew?

I am hoping that Martha "doesn't" get found out since I do feel sorry for her.  I think the kindest thing would be for Clark just to stop showing up or break up with her (especially since she would be reluctant to give him any info now).  But of course something is going to happen since no loose ends can exist.  The character has always been doomed. 

• Love 2

I fear for Martha as well.  I just can't imagine the show without her character.  Would Philip just let her go to prison if the Feds discover what she's been doing or would they kill her while she's in the fed's custody.  It would be risky to keep her alive, since she could identify Philip and Elizabeth.  She even knows about Granny.  But, if they kept her in protective custody........I just wonder if there is any way she can survive.  

• Love 2

The writers have painted her into a corner, however, if they used their creative skills they could figure a way for her to survive and stay on the show.  It might come down to getting rid of Stan, but so be it.  She's much more entertaining to me.  I can't imagine how she and Stan can continue on with the FBI office, though.  Even if they find the source of the pen planter.  Stan doesn't trust her.

I don;t think they painted themselves into a corner at all.  This is just my opinion mind you and my hope for the series.   I have said this a couple of times that I think the show is closer to the end then it is to the beginning which means Martha may very well survive an encounter on her life.  I really don't think Philip will try to kill her. I think he had gone out of his way to avoid it.  I think it will be Elizabeth who will force the issue and Martha's gun will finally come into play and the person she sends will get killed in the process which puts the FBI back on the Jennings trail which they haven't been in awhile and Poor Martha right in the middle of the game.  There is far far more drama in her learning the cold hard truth (that Philip has been using her from the beginning and never loved her) then in her death.  But like I said that is just how I would write it or hope it goes.  I happen to think Alison Wright is brilliant and I hope Martha survives to the bitter bitter end.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

The writers have painted her into a corner, however, if they used their creative skills they could figure a way for her to survive and stay on the show.  It might come down to getting rid of Stan, but so be it.  She's much more entertaining to me.  I can't imagine how she and Stan can continue on with the FBI office, though.  Even if they find the source of the pen planter.  Stan doesn't trust her.

You'd kill Stan to save Martha?

Blubbering Martha, who thinks that she is a hottie in her pink fat-sweater?

Ugh!

While I agree that Martha is entertaining, she doesn't outrank Stan as a pivotal character.

• Love 1

Poor Martha - not even the show runners respect her character.

After last week's ending - her horror as Philip takes off his disguise - I thought for sure Philip was going to have to kill her.  She was devestated even before he did that.  I thought for sure we would hear what Philip would say to her.

NOPE.

It is the season finale - the show has no time to make it a Martha centric episode - bigger fish to fry.

Martha gets no respect anywhere.  

• Love 1

I dont think it's a lack of disrespect.  More an intentional cliffhanger.  We're left wondering whether Clarke killed her, if she's at her parents house, taking a few days off work to sleep, turned herself in, or locked up somewhere with Hanz.  She was very deliberately not where one would expect her to be, not even in the background.  Something is fishy and we are meant to notice it.  

I took it that when Martha saw that Clarke revealed more to her and trusted her, she got what she wanted from him. She was getting ready to go to her parents, because she said she couldn't live as they were living. Plus, she just knew that she would be caught.  Well, both of those problems were addressed.  Clarke came clean with her about some pretty serious stuff, (his unveiling) and someone else confessed to the pen plant.  All Clarke has to do is pretend that he did not kill the guy and how would Martha know the difference. She knows that Clarke has never hurt her and has actually protected her, so I can see her believing in him and moving on as a couple.  At least I have full faith that we will see Martha at the start of the next season.  Yay!

I took it that when Martha saw that Clarke revealed more to her and trusted her, she got what she wanted from him. She was getting ready to go to her parents, because she said she couldn't live as they were living. Plus, she just knew that she would be caught.  Well, both of those problems were addressed.  Clarke came clean with her about some pretty serious stuff, (his unveiling) and someone else confessed to the pen plant.  All Clarke has to do is pretend that he did not kill the guy and how would Martha know the difference. She knows that Clarke has never hurt her and has actually protected her, so I can see her believing in him and moving on as a couple.  At least I have full faith that we will see Martha at the start of the next season.  Yay!

But Philip planted evidence related to the pen bug in Gene's apartment. Martha knows Gene didn't plant the bug -- because she did -- and so how could Martha believe Philip had nothing to do with Gene?

• Love 3

Philip's cracking up.  There is no way Martha will be happy that Gene killed himself and was caught with her tape equipment.  She will absolutely know that Philip killed an innocent man.  He's so far off the reservation now that he didn't even see that he needed to prepare Martha for that.  Elizabeth had to tell him that he should warn/prepare her.

• Love 3

Philip's cracking up.  There is no way Martha will be happy that Gene killed himself and was caught with her tape equipment.  She will absolutely know that Philip killed an innocent man.  He's so far off the reservation now that he didn't even see that he needed to prepare Martha for that.  Elizabeth had to tell him that he should warn/prepare her.

It's funny that he's trying to do with her what he does with Paige--she'll find out the truth and then she'll tell him how much she needs to know. It's not completely crazy since Martha has done that before, but he's just nuts for not seeing that this situation is very very different. The idea that he thought Martha would react to this news as if she was just learning they were dropping the investigation was crazy--but when he said "Maybe you're right" I assumed he was listening to that.

I think he can probably tell Martha that the people he works for came up with framing Gene and did it without his knowledge. Martha doesn't have to know it was her Clark that strung up Gene with his own two hands.

• Love 3

Right.  Clarke can say that he was just taking orders on what he asked her to do and that when he reported what happened, THEY took over and he was totally not on board with anyone getting hurt.  She may doubt it, but it also may bring her some relief that she is no longer under suspicion..  Plus, she is not positive that the IT guy wasn't also working on something similar to her.  

• Love 1

Poor Martha - not even the show runners respect her character.

After last week's ending - her horror as Philip takes off his disguise - I thought for sure Philip was going to have to kill her. She was devestated even before he did that. I thought for sure we would hear what Philip would say to her.

NOPE.

It is the season finale - the show has no time to make it a Martha centric episode - bigger fish to fry.

Martha gets no respect anywhere.

I'm hoping the reason they moved Martha's character to the back burner is to let the plot thicken and simmer.

No strike that, to intentionally let it boil over and explode.

I'm hoping for some real Martha drama when the season opens next year.

That pink fat-sweater better be gone too; maybe they can have her blubbering and wearing a pair of those footie pajamas?

Empty boxes of Kleenex all over her house, the Kama Sutra book in the trash can with her silk work blouses.

I know they didn't have them back in 1983, but I want to see Martha wearing a Snuggie and using a Sham-Wow as a tissue.

I want epic Martha drama that includes a total meltdown, binging on ice cream, eating Ring Dings, absent from work and under extreme suspicion.

Agent Gaad and Walter Taffet knocking on her door, that South African, dude Hans in cuffs.

Then there is her pistol, for personal protection.

Yes, I want to see it used, but not as she intended.

Click-Bang!

Good bye cruel world... Martha was never respected.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 2

Mine, too! And I believe that she is, as Philip said, "Good, and honest, and true." I have always liked her and loved the Clark storyline. Now it's become fascinating to watch them interact.

I think Philip really does love her, too. I think he's starting to realize it, now that he's terrified he might have to actually kill her.

I think Philip really does love her, too. I think he's starting to realize it, now that he's terrified he might have to actually kill her.

You mean like romantic love?

I get the feel that the Phillip character doesn't mind killing certain types of people, but has a very hard time killing people that he thinks don't deserve it.

While I think that the Phillip character would try to avoid killing Martha, I don't see him being attached in the romantic sense.

Interesting perspective.

• Love 4

You mean like romantic love?

I get the feel that the Phillip character doesn't mind killing certain types of people, but has a very hard time killing people that he thinks don't deserve it.

While I think that the Phillip character would try to avoid killing Martha, I don't see him being attached in the romantic sense.

Interesting perspective.

There was something about the way he said, "everything I'm about to say is true," and the surprised look in his eyes as he said it. He loves her differently from the way he loves Elizabeth, but he does love her. We become what we pretend to be, and Clark let out a part of Philip that never gets out anyplace else. Meanwhile he's been up close and personal with this earnest, geeky, trusting woman. He may not want to spend all his time with her, but I think he really does love her. If he has to kill her it will be devastating for him. He isn't romantically infatuated with her, but he loves her I think the way people who really, really love their dogs, love their dogs. He might not survive having to eliminate her, if the order comes down. He's trying to brace himself for it, but he's racking his brains to think of a way around it.

• Love 5

There was something about the way he said, "everything I'm about to say is true," and the surprised look in his eyes as he said it. He loves her differently from the way he loves Elizabeth, but he does love her. We become what we pretend to be, and Clark let out a part of Philip that never gets out anyplace else. Meanwhile he's been up close and personal with this earnest, geeky, trusting woman. He may not want to spend all his time with her, but I think he really does love her. If he has to kill her it will be devastating for him. He isn't romantically infatuated with her, but he loves her I think the way people who really, really love their dogs, love their dogs. He might not survive having to eliminate her, if the order comes down. He's trying to brace himself for it, but he's racking his brains to think of a way around it.

LOL

You explained it perfectly until you used the "dog love" analogy. In my experience, people love their dogs more intensely than other humans.

• Love 2

LOL

You explained it perfectly until you used the "dog love" analogy. In my experience, people love their dogs more intensely than other humans.

Yes. That's my point. On a certain level he loves her more intensely than Elizabeth, because in his mind Elizabeth can take care of herself, but Martha is his responsibility. Martha is trusting and innocent and loyal and emotional, and so surprisingly intelligent at times. Having to get rid of her is going to completely destroy him if he ends up having to do it. And since that's the case, he'll probably end up having to do it.

• Love 2
Yes. That's my point. On a certain level he loves her more intensely than Elizabeth, because in his mind Elizabeth can take care of herself, but Martha is his responsibility. Martha is trusting and innocent and loyal and emotional, and so surprisingly intelligent at times. Having to get rid of her is going to completely destroy him if he ends up having to do it. And since that's the case, he'll probably end up having to do it.

I think it would upset him, but not because he loves her, exactly. He knows he might have to kill her one day and I think he is ready to do it, even though it would kill part of himself too. I feel like it's more that he just loves things about her. Him saying "everything I'm going to say is true" is irrelevant to me because the whole point is that he's lying always on some level to her, but what I took as the "truth" part in that scene was everything he said about her as a person. He does think she's a good person, that she's kind and sweet and considerate, and he loves those things in her. I don't have a problem using the word "love" to describe what he feels for Martha in a non-romantic sense. "Cares about her" is more the way I think of it, though, because the relationship feels less two-way to me. I don't think he gets much for himself out of her besides guilt and his own caring.

• Love 2

During the S4 premiere ("Glanders") I realized that those sketches of Philip and Elizabeth as the suspected "illegals" are posted on the wall inside the vault. Does Martha ever go in there? Now that she's seen Philip out of disguise, will she spot the sketch at some point?

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

Martha is devoted to denial. All the red flags in her marriage, and she refused to see them until it was impossible for her to ignore them any longer. Even now, she won't let herself go all the way toward admitting who her husband is working for and what it means.

I'm betting she could look right at that sketch of "Clark" and not recognize it at all. She simply will not let herself do that. 

• Love 2

Wow, I think Martha has grown a spine of steel in this last episode! When Philip woke her up, her hair was tousled and she looked so vulnerable in her nightgown. 

I loved when she told Philip, "We'll decide that together" and clearly they decided she would keep spying.

Compare her nightgown look with the scene at the copier talking to Gaad. She's copying paperwork she has no business looking at but she keeps her composure in a steely manner.

And her hair and blouse looked like armor. She was dressed to go to battle! 

I loved the use of hair, makeup, and costumes to convey the change in her. She is now working to support her husband with full knowledge she's not working for her own country, and nice people might die to keep their mission moving forward.

Like she says, I guess you really never know people.

Edited by lcarolynl
  • Love 5

The more I think about it, the worse the lie is. At first he was just a guy who was going against his office etiquette and could lose his job. She was already back then putting herself at risk with the bug. But as she's become more aware of the danger she's upped the drama of her love affair. Now she thinks she's in some fatal attraction scenario where he's doing desperate things for her and vice versa. She went from being in a secret relationship with a little thrill involved to Bonnie and Clyde.

Only we know it's a completely one-sided Bonnie and Clyde. Clark does truly care about her, but he has none of the passion and romantic love that's central to the whole thing in her mind. It's kind of the ultimate humiliation that in the end she never got the love she was craving either. The passionate, rough sex was just him doing what she liked physically and when he bared his soul it was to somebody else.

• Love 4

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but what acting from Alison Wright in her "what have you done, what have I done" scene. I have never been a Martha fan - way too easily led and, well, stupid, for my tastes - but she made me feel for her in that scene. Knocked it out the park, IMO. That scene was Emmy-worthy.

• Love 1

Some more about Martha.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/q-and-a/a44588/alison-wright-the-americans-interview/

The actress has taken a role that started as a source of pity and cringe-inducing comedy—the hapless, lovestruck woman who couldn't see through her boyfriend's shady excuses or shoddy toupee—and, slowly, proven her to be the closest thing The Americans has to a moral compass. Martha is who she says she is. She loves whom she says she loves. And so she handles completely life-destroying information with an almost super-human dignity.

Wright spoke with Esquire by phone about the historic Secretary Offensive that inspired Martha's story, how she prepares for all of this season's heart-wrenching scenes, and if she believes Martha and Clark's love is real.

I was about to ask about what you learned about these real-life victims, but I'm not sure if I should call them victims. These real secret wives?

"Victims" is fair, really, because they were targeted. There was something called the Secretary Offensive, and that was the plan: to go out and get these secretaries who were in their 30s, who were lonely and emotionally vulnerable, who would be easy targets for emotional manipulation. I read as much as I could. A lot of it is still secret, of course, but I was scavenging for everything I could get.

Have you talked to Matthew Rhys about how real, or not real, the relationship between Clark and Martha is? Do you figure out together how genuine that relationship and that connection is?

It's not something that we've talked about, ever. I do think there are things Clark/Phillip gets out of that relationship with Martha that he can't get out of Elizabeth, just because they are such different people. Martha is a complete font of empathy, she's warm, maternal, forgiving, accepting. She's everything Elizabeth is not. We can be different people with people who think different things.

Has playing Martha changed how you think about relationships in real life?

I think people delude themselves every day. I'm surrounded by people that are in complete denial about the state of their relationships.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/arts/television/alison-wright-on-the-americans-marthas-frantic-arc-and-meeting-a-famous-fan.html

So Poor Martha is a lot stronger than she sometimes seems?

I think people perhaps underestimated her as a character and as a woman. She’s a sweet idealistic soul, but she’s not a doormat. She can be a loving, devoted wife but still have demands and stand up for herself. She can go to church every Sunday and steal classified documents once a week, too. I’m very proud of the fact that the women on “The Americans” are written to be equally complex as the men.

You’re quite glamorous in person but Martha is not. Is there a trick to playing such a subdued character?

Oh, I thought you were going to ask if it’s hard being in a role where you’re so depressed for that long. Because that takes its toll. But we tried to keep it light [while working]. Matthew is Welsh and as soon as the camera stops, we’re gossiping away in stupid, slang British accents all day long. The guys on the set say it’s like being on a British porn.

• Love 5

I miss Martha. I truly do. Now that she is no longer part of this show, I realize just how  much I enjoyed her particiapation and just how much I enjoyed her part in the action. I want to say that I sure do wish she was back in the thick of things.

Even if she can never come back again, I would very much like to be able to see the actress again - even if it's in another show. I wonder if anyone here might have any info or opinions as to where or when I might be able to see her again? I like her a lot.

• Love 3

I'm surprised by how much I miss Martha too. I think what I really miss is how propulsive her entire storyline turned out to be by mid-season 3, and it's probably the highlight of season 4 (and definitely a series high) for me. Plus Alison Wright's performance was devastatingly good. I'm still a little impartial about whether or not I would ever like to see Martha again, but if the story could somehow organically manage it, I would be curious enough about the context and why.

• Love 4
(edited)
On June 2, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Anela said:

I wish that she had a nicer title for her thread. 

I miss her, too. 

I agree!

How about: Martha: We Never Knew How Much We'd Miss Her

or

Martha: The Chump We Grew to Respect

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 3
(edited)
On June 2, 2016 at 3:00 PM, scartact said:

I'm surprised by how much I miss Martha too. I think what I really miss is how propulsive her entire storyline turned out to be by mid-season 3, and it's probably the highlight of season 4 (and definitely a series high) for me. Plus Alison Wright's performance was devastatingly good. I'm still a little impartial about whether or not I would ever like to see Martha again, but if the story could somehow organically manage it, I would be curious enough about the context and why.

Its fun watching the show over again from season 1.  I got bored one weekend and pretty much watched just the Martha stuff.  It was a fun exercise.   People complained about Martha's storyline in season 1 and I think a lot of people missed some of the subtleties.  Watching it again know the entire story....so far was fascinating.    

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
(edited)

Martha was my first favorite character.  Later, I started liking Elizabeth. I have lost hope that we will ever see her again though.  Oh well.......maybe in the SERIES finale we'll get a glimpse or update. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/emmys-americans-martha-alison-wright-133057152.html?sf28683789=1

Emmy Talk: ‘The Americans’ Star Alison Wright on Her Favorite Scenes in Season 4, Martha’s Future

You have some famous fans, too. Dax Shepard tweeted to you that he and his wife Kristen Bell are big fans. I understand that you got a very warm welcome from Ben Affleck on the set of the upcoming movie The Accountant.
Yeah, the show is very popular among people in the business, so who knows what other Americans fans are out there. I know that David Bowie was a fan. I mean, that’s just bonkers, right?

What percentage of those fans who react so strongly to Martha react to her from the “poor Martha” point of view? There’s a sizable fan base who don’t see her as a victim, right?
Whether they see her as a victim or not, I’m not sure, but they do seem to all agree she’s been badly done, that she got a really bad hand, and, not that she’s a victim or that she’s responsible, but there just seems to be a real sadness about her situation and what she’s had to go through. Her being duped in this romantic sense seems to strike a chord with a lot of people. They really seem to have a lot of empathy for her.

• Love 3

I hope we get to see Martha in Russia or anywhere. I didn't know what a loss that character would be to me. Somehow I feel an empty gap without her. I'm not even sure if I was a fan until that little ponytail ribboned bow she added as she dressed for her exit. 

The writers really developed this layered character with such an inner capacity for duality. There's her inner strength meshed with  stealthy deceptive abilities, her ability to work against her own country while having core moral values that she cherishes, and her final heartbroken self acceptance without once blaming anyone else. 

Does anyone think we will see this actress reappear in season 5 or 6? 

• Love 4

This is not a spoiler, as it was said about the previous season, but the actress playing Martha was clear in interviews that we would not be seeing her again in that season.  I did not want to mention it here (because of spoiler constraints), and I did not want to post in the spoiler thread, because I did not want to see *any* spoilers!  A lot of us kept hoping she would turn up again late last season, and the showrunners definitely were toying with us when they had an extended montage of images from Russia that got some of us excited at the prospect that we were about to see Martha!  (And maybe a little Philski?)  But that was the family of Phillip's unknown son.  Maybe there will be a return of Martha -- I'd like that! 

• Love 4
On 10/7/2016 at 4:45 PM, jjj said:

This is not a spoiler, as it was said about the previous season, but the actress playing Martha was clear in interviews that we would not be seeing her again in that season.  I did not want to mention it here (because of spoiler constraints), and I did not want to post in the spoiler thread, because I did not want to see *any* spoilers!  A lot of us kept hoping she would turn up again late last season, and the showrunners definitely were toying with us when they had an extended montage of images from Russia that got some of us excited at the prospect that we were about to see Martha!  (And maybe a little Philski?)  But that was the family of Phillip's unknown son.  Maybe there will be a return of Martha -- I'd like that! 

NOT a spoiler:  I thought that I read on here that we would see in Russia from I think something that J and J said.  

• Love 1

I really, really want to see Martha in Russia. She has such fortitude I think she will just be getting on with life there and making the best of it. But I think the loss of contact with her parents she would be having to endure would be really hurting her. More than the loss of Clark because she seemed to draw a line under their relationship when she told him to not be alone. I think she is making herself be content with the story Philip has told her about being a spy who fell in love with her but can't be with her. And she will tell herself that 'great love' was worth the life she is living in Russia, which while better than being a traitor in a US prison, will still be essentially a prison for her.

I am doing a rewatch and am on S1E8 or as it is better know the episode where Martha has sex and commits her first treason.   There is no season thread for the first season so I wil post here how much fun it is to watch Alison Wright during the first season. I know people disliked her but in retrospect Martha is fascinating.   

• Love 3

Ok I am finished with Season 1 and I am really disappointed there isn't a season 1 board.  Even if it is a general discussion so I will put my thoughts here since most of them involve Martha anyway.   Honestly I think season 1 could be called "Little Acts of Treason" I mean hell which character didn't commit a little act of treason in season 1?  Stan nearly committed Treason to save Nina.  Nina committed treason to save her own buttiniski.  You could say Philip committed treason against his marriage when he slept with his old flame in New York.  Elizabeth committed treason when she fell in love with her husband.  And then there is poor poor Martha who committed so many little acts of treason all for the love of a man who she didn't know was using her.  Stealing files,  planting bug,  hell even marrying him was treason.     Its been a long while since I watched the first season and I have no idea what my opinion of Martha was way back then.  I know she annoyed alot of people.  Hell she probably annoyed me too.  

Who knew?  Right?  Right?  

On to season 2.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Razzberry said:

Huge fan of Martha here, and of the actress Alison Wright.  Sorry to see her go, but the good news is she will be in the new series "Feud" also on FX, about Betty Davis and Joan Crawford.

am1f.jpg

She can make cameos like Claudia does, though!! 

I hope so!!!!   

• Love 1