Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Hurricane

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

TRIAL BY FIRE - Ralen (Ben Radcliffe) is on trial for his life after being accused of having sabotaged the Tereshkova. But even Jax (Priscilla Quintana) has her doubts about Ralen's veracity when his wife arrives from Zatar to defend him. Brett Simmons directed the episode with teleplay by Thomas P. Vitale & Brett Simmons (

6 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Hey, Jeffrey Coombs! I haven't seen him since Deep Space Nine. I'd forgotten how much scenery he chews.

And from Star Trek: Enterprise, where he played General Shran.

Jax is all butt-hurt that Ralen has a wife.   Blah, blah, blah, whatever, Jax doesn't even care about Mrs. Ralen by the end of the episode.

Thomas' sub-plot is just so boring.

Ralen is exonerated, Harlan Fried is in custody for destroying the Tereshkova, Regan and Cordelia are running Parallax, and the Earth Confederation has the alien body.

One part I'm confused about -- who was in the coffin that was exchanged for Ralen ?  Because they never opened it to show who was in it.

Apparently Zatarians don't need bathrooms -- as Ralen's transparent jail cell had no facilities in it.

35 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

One part I'm confused about -- who was in the coffin that was exchanged for Ralen ?  Because they never opened it to show who was in it.

We don't know what was in the box. All we know is that it is called Pandora's box.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Jax is all butt-hurt that Ralen has a wife.   Blah, blah, blah, whatever, Jax doesn't even care about Mrs. Ralen by the end of the episode.

She might finally get interested in Ralen now that he's forbidden fruit. Especially since Atria wants him too...although Atria seems to actually like him for himself.

So Ralen knows who/what "Pandora" is all about. I wish the writers would tell us, since this show isn't written so well that I'm willing to wait 8 years for an answer.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, paulvdb said:

We don't know what was in the box. All we know is that it is called Pandora's box.

It might be the body of the original Jax from 150 years ago, and the current version of Jax is a clone, who has been genetically manipulated to control the portals.

It's not cool that Ralen is married and pursuing a romantic relationship with Jax. I realize that Zatarian culture is different from Earth culture, but it's still not cool. That said, I still like Ralen better than Jax. And that's the crux of my problem with Pandora.

I can forgive bad special effects, low quality sets, and even poor storytelling at times, if I like the hero of the story. I've watched entire seasons of B-quality fantasy TV shows in the past, just because I liked the main character and was interested enough to follow his or her journey.

I have tried and tried to like Jax, who's the central character and the hero of Pandora, but I just can't. And I'm not even completely sure why.

In the first few episodes, I found her to be self-absorbed, entitled, and a bit of a user, who was willing to say or do anything to get what she wants. More recently, she's shown some admirable loyalty to her friends and she's always courageous, but there's still something about her that I find off-putting. It doesn't help that the actress who plays Jax is nothing to write home about in terms of acting.

Then there's this inexplicable attraction that everyone seems to have toward her. Everybody falls in love with her, and it makes no sense. Maybe we'll find out later that she emits a special pheromone that's part of her unique genetic makeup, but I doubt it.

I also couldn't care less about Xander, who's obviously going to end up being Jax's OTP love. This character is such a generic type that you might as well stamp "Four" on his forehead.

I like the supporting characters much more than Jax and Xander - like the late, quickly forgotten Greg, and now the more intriguing Ralen, Atria and Pilar, who are each different in their own way. Even Thomas has potential for a good storyline with his emerging powers, if the writers do a good job of writing for him. However, I'm not sure that any of them can fill the role of the main hero. 

So we're stuck with special snowflake Jax. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, paulvdb said:

All we know is that it is called Pandora's box.

I lol'd and backed up to make sure I'd heard that right. Yes EVERYONE on this show is very interested in Pandora's "box".

Edited to add, I still adore this terrible, terrible show.

Edited by AuntTora
Not that there's anything wrong with that!
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

In the first few episodes, I found her to be self-absorbed, entitled, and a bit of a user, who was willing to say or do anything to get what she wants.

Don't forget very YELLY !!!  She shouted nearly everything in the first few episodes.

• Love 1