Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Dairy Week

• Start Topic

On 9/18/2019 at 9:41 AM, Aulty said:

I'm sure Henry is a Hufflepuff has experience with full puff pastry though.

Funny you should say that, every time they mention that Alice's parents are dentists, I think of Hermione.

23 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I don't know about robbed, but Phil going did surprise me

Surprised me too, especially because of this below...

9 hours ago, Adiba said:

I realize that the judges critiques are edited, but I didn't hear anything that sounded like Phil was going to go home. Not that I expected Phil to go all the way to the final--just not to go home this week.

this is what I thought when they announced Phil, nothing they had said made me think it could be him.

1 hour ago, lovinbob said:

On the flip side, I thought it was rude that they didn't taste Priya's Maid of Honours. How many times have we heard, Don't bin it; it may look bad but it could taste good. I was curious to know if the time spent on her curd was worth it.

It may have been rude but even if it was the best tasting thing in the universe she was always going to be last. She didn't even have half of what she needed to have on that plate, and what was there looked horrendous.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lovinbob said:

I am with those (including Phil) who was shocked by the ending. I felt like the judges/show were out to get Phil. I didn't think his signature was overly messy (and in fact, Pru was not shown when she made her comment about how his decorations were disappointing, which triggered by conspiracy theory radar--like, was that added after the fact so to better cue up his ouster?

I'm not saying he was the greatest baker ever but he was a refreshing personality. And Michael and Priya had disastrous bakes.

On the flip side, I thought it was rude that they didn't taste Priya's Maid of Honours. How many times have we heard, Don't bin it; it may look bad but it could taste good. I was curious to know if the time spent on her curd was worth it.

I didn't think it was in voiceover when Pru called Phil's boring. I'm assuming you're referring to a different comment but she said plenty of negative things about Phil's showstopper. I think she also didn't like his Signature either.

1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I thought that was odd because I don't recall them saying it was inedible, as in so raw it would make them ill, and they very rarely just refuse something and that is only ever been when it is so uncooked it would lead to possible illness. 

They didn't explicitly say they were raw, but to me they looked completely raw. Plus the assignment was to make 10 and she had sort of three and a half...so I don't think the not tasting them really mattered. She failed to complete it at all, they looked totally raw, even if technically edible, it wasn't just about them looking bad.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

It didn't surprise me. They usually let a good showstopper override earlier mistakes, and Phil's showstopper simply wasn't very good, while Michael and Priya's were.

If Phil had done better, then I think they probably would have opted to send both of the other two home. But he didn't. It was a bunch of stamped, multicoloured sweets and a plastic garden gnome.

Yes, Phil was surprised, but he really shouldn't have been.

I agree with this. Phil didn't do GREAT at anything. Sort of okay at everything, and poor in the showstopper. (Deservedly so.) The others made big mistakes but also had big successes. It averaged out with all of them in the same range, and boring went home. DON'T BORE NINA! Oops, sorry, wrong show!

10 hours ago, Adiba said:

The whole "dairy week" theme was perplexing to me. The Gbbo contestants use dairy often in the form of cream, whipped cream, creme pat, etc. I've been making a sour cream coffee cake and lemon sour cream pound cake since the '70s--so it's not something that I thought was new or unexpected at all.

They do use dairy, but this was specifically "cultured dairy" -- buttermilk, kefir, yogurt, etc. That is a little different. I didn't think it was successful, though.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, snarktini said:

They do use dairy, but this was specifically "cultured dairy" -- buttermilk, kefir, yogurt, etc. That is a little different. I didn't think it was successful, though.

I'm not an expert. Would sour cream count here? I didn't see anyone use it. And do the cultures really affect the rise they way they mentioned? I didn't think buttermilk or yogurt makes things rise (in a yeasty way anyway) but I'm not a biochemist 🙂

36 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I didn't think buttermilk or yogurt makes things rise (in a yeasty way anyway) but I'm not a biochemist

From this article on buttermilk in baking:

Although you probably don’t think of it in this way, buttermilk contributes to the leavening of many baked goods.  In conjunction with baking soda, buttermilk produces carbon dioxide gas, which is why a stack of pancakes made with buttermilk can tower over those made with milk.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I'm not an expert. Would sour cream count here? I didn't see anyone use it. And do the cultures really affect the rise they way they mentioned? I didn't think buttermilk or yogurt makes things rise (in a yeasty way anyway) but I'm not a biochemist 🙂

If the brief said "cultured" dairy, then yes, sour cream should count-- unless they they specifically said only "yogurt, buttermilk, " or other dairy. It wasn't clear on the show.

Edited by Adiba
spelling
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

Someone did use sour cream in their cake - I just don’t remember who.

• Love 2

I also wasn't surprised at Phil's elimination. I'm guessing that when the producers saw how surprised he was, they decided to edit Paul and Pru's discussion so the elimination would be a surprise to us, too.

His garden mishti presentation was not a showstopper at all. Plus from what Phil & Pru said, the flavors were not good.

I love Henry's sense of humor. In the bread ep, I cracked up at the way he said, "Bread can take a hike." And then his comment about his ice cream thing maybe being eaten in prison was funny and self-deprecating. 

• Love 8

The thing with Henry's ice cream (or his plan for it) that bugged me is that, at least as shown in the show, it seemed that he was *constantly* opening the freezer door to check on it. All that's going to do is raise the temperature in the freezer and make it even harder for the ice cream to freeze and set properly. If he really had his heart set on ice cream, he should have prepped it first thing, thrown it in the freezer, and then left it there in the closed freezer for the remaining hours, until the last minute when it would need to be plated. But overall, I would say the decision to make ice cream was itself bad considering how many times we've seen that it gets hot in the tent and cold things and chocolate melt very easily. Just a bad call, even though the flavors looked like they would have been good.

• Love 13
41 minutes ago, ombelico said:

The thing with Henry's ice cream (or his plan for it) that bugged me is that, at least as shown in the show, it seemed that he was *constantly* opening the freezer door to check on it. All that's going to do is raise the temperature in the freezer and make it even harder for the ice cream to freeze and set properly.

Right? I kept yelling at him to get his head out of there and shut the door! 

I've watched enough of this show (and other cooking competitions) to know that if ice cream is not specified as part of the challenge, don't do it! It just isn't worth the risk. I've never seen it win anyone that much praise and more often than not it fails spectacularly. It's just not a good idea. But Henry is young. He'll learn. lol I do appreciate his self deprecating humor during judging. 

• Love 8

I don't think I'll watch this again on rerun.  Terrible episode.  If I was Phil, I would have been pissed also.  Three other people had total failures on one aspect of the competition - it should have been a choice between the three of them.  Or, one of them and Phil.

I make a lot of recipes from David Leibowitz - he was pastry chef at Chez Panisse in its early glory days and now works out of Paris.  I've noticed how often I need to nip down to the shops to pick up some buttermilk.  It's definitely a staple in his recipes.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

Would sour cream count here? I didn't see anyone use it. And do the cultures really affect the rise they way they mentioned? I didn't think buttermilk or yogurt makes things rise (in a yeasty way anyway) but I'm not a biochemist 🙂

In addition to @Adiba's excellent link, here's Louisa May Alcott, in the "kids learn to cook" chapter of Little Men (which I've already mentioned, apologies, but I find it cool that these chemical reactions were suitable for children's books in 1871):

“Ask [the cook] for a cup of sour cream, then your cakes will be light without much soda, which I don’t like,” was the first order. Demi tore downstairs, and returned with the cream, also a puckered-up face, for he had tasted it on his way, and found it so sour that he predicted the cakes would be uneatable. Mrs. Jo took this occasion to deliver a short lecture from the step-ladder on the chemical properties of soda, to which Daisy did not listen, but Demi did, and understood it, as he proved by the brief but comprehensive reply:

“Yes, I see, soda turns sour things sweet, and the fizzling up makes them light. Let’s see you do it, Daisy.”

“Fill that bowl nearly full of flour and add a little salt to it,” continued Mrs. Jo... Put the soda into the cream, and when it ‘fizzles,’ as Demi says, stir it into the flour, and beat it up as hard as ever you can. Have your griddle hot, butter it well, and then fry away till I come back,” and Aunt Jo vanished also.

Such a clatter as the little spoon made, and such a beating as the batter got, it quite foamed, I assure you; and when Daisy poured some on to the griddle, it rose like magic into a puffy flapjack that made Demi’s mouth water.

("Flapjack" is of course used here to mean "pancake," as it still does in the US; the UK definition as an oat bar didn't happen until 1935.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 9/18/2019 at 6:02 PM, Lois Sandborne said:

I lol'd at Noel starting to go up and comfort Michael in his time of distress but thinking better of it and ducking out of there unseen.

This moment highlighted the difference between the Sue and Mel era and now. Mel and/or Sue would have been right there with encouragement and maybe their cursing up a storm strategy to build Michael up instead of letting him flounder on his own. I love Noel and Sandi, but they are definitely less nurturing and cheerleading than Mel and Sue. 

• Love 4

I admit that I was surprised how clueless the contestants seemed to be when they were given the task of making Maids of Honor.  They are traditional British baked goods and I have recipes for them in at least 3 cookbooks, including one of Paul's.  Considering how much the show likes to have contestants make traditional British items, if I had heard it was going to be dairy week, I would have become familiar with typical items with dairy like Maids of Honor, custard tarts, etc.  As for them all messing up the technical challenge, I just rewatched the season with Ruby (sorry I can't remember the exact season number) and they were given the task of making custard tartlets as a technical challenge and they all performed as badly as this crew and in pretty much the same way. 

While the Signature challenge was interesting, it would have stood for a bit more clarity on what the expectations were besides just three different kinds of mishti.  Such as specifying that you needed to use three different techniques.  I think that is what did Phil in.  All he did was mold the dough, while others fried balls, put items in syrup, etc.  Also, the judges have shown in past seasons that they aren't fans of using molds as shown in the Season with Ruby when Dorrit got counted down for using molds to make her frog cookies.

31 minutes ago, eat said:

This moment highlighted the difference between the Sue and Mel era and now. Mel and/or Sue would have been right there with encouragement and maybe their cursing up a storm strategy to build Michael up instead of letting him flounder on his own. I love Noel and Sandi, but they are definitely less nurturing and cheerleading than Mel and Sue. 

Maybe they've been told not to be as nurturing or cheerleading?  Or they want to make their own path and not be seen to be just like Mel and Sue?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Michael used sour cream in his cake.

I knew someone had because I was waiting for it and when they finally said Michael was using it, I turned to my daughter and said that sour cream was the only one I had ever used.

1 hour ago, ombelico said:

The thing with Henry's ice cream (or his plan for it) that bugged me is that, at least as shown in the show, it seemed that he was *constantly* opening the freezer door to check on it.

I'll have to watch again to be sure but I thought things were strange about the freezer. When Henry first put his ice cream in the freezer he put it on the top shelf and there was something on the left side of the bottom shelf. When he next opened the door it seemed that his ice cream was on the bottom shelf. And then again it looked like it was in a completely different freezer (though that may have been just a different angle) No one else had things in the freezer did they? It just seemed his ice cream was being moved around a lot. Maybe he was doing it trying to find a colder spot?

16 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

While the Signature challenge was interesting, it would have stood for a bit more clarity on what the expectations were besides just three different kinds of mishti.  Such as specifying that you needed to use three different techniques. 

We don't see/hear the entire "brief," do we? the specifications of each week's signature & showstopper, sent out to each baker before the competition begins? Because I'm not certain the use of three different techniques wasn't specified. Even if it wasn't, that's how a truly competitive baker plans to stand out, by doing the maximum within the specs. It can lead to over-ambitiousness, certainly (as we saw with Henry's ice cream, and many another time over the years too), but comfort and artistry with a variety of techniques are what the judges are looking for.

• Love 5

While I felt badly for Phil's surprise (and was stuck trying to come up with another one where the baker was so shocked to be the one leaving), I really didn't have a problem with it. His ambition and execution with the show stopper was really lacking in comparison to the others. Priya and Henry had higher highs and lower lows, as someone else said above, and that's what got him.

I also, personally, was a bit put off by his orientation to the show stopper. I don't love when people brush off a challenge that's inspired by a different culture with phrases along the line of "it's just not my thing."

• Love 9
8 hours ago, ombelico said:

The thing with Henry's ice cream (or his plan for it) that bugged me is that, at least as shown in the show, it seemed that he was *constantly* opening the freezer door to check on it. All that's going to do is raise the temperature in the freezer and make it even harder for the ice cream to freeze and set properly. If he really had his heart set on ice cream, he should have prepped it first thing, thrown it in the freezer, and then left it there in the closed freezer for the remaining hours, until the last minute when it would need to be plated. 

I don't disagree but I'm pretty sure they don't get dedicated freezers per contestant so even if he hadn't been opening the door, someone else could've been using it and opening it and well within their rights to do so. I thought he was nuts to do ice cream given the time limit. I would expect it to take the whole time to even be barely just set, and that's leaving no time to made the base or do any plating with it. The whole thing was bad math.

6 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I'll have to watch again to be sure but I thought things were strange about the freezer. When Henry first put his ice cream in the freezer he put it on the top shelf and there was something on the left side of the bottom shelf. When he next opened the door it seemed that his ice cream was on the bottom shelf. 

It looked to me like empty molds on the bottom shelf the first time, and nothing but his tray on the bottom later. I agree he may have moved it to what he thought might be a colder spot.

7 hours ago, eat said:

Sandi wrapped Michael in a motherly hug that lasted quite a while. She also gets choked up nearly every time she has to "have the terrible job" of announcing who goes home. I think she is wonderfully nurturing. 

I did wonder about the opening, when they joked about not doing puns. Was that a reference to Sue and Mel? (I loved their puns!)

• Love 9
6 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I don't disagree but I'm pretty sure they don't get dedicated freezers per contestant so even if he hadn't been opening the door, someone else could've been using it and opening it and well within their rights to do so. I thought he was nuts to do ice cream given the time limit. I would expect it to take the whole time to even be barely just set, and that's leaving no time to made the base or do any plating with it. The whole thing was bad math.

It looked to me like empty molds on the bottom shelf the first time, and nothing but his tray on the bottom later. I agree he may have moved it to what he thought might be a colder spot.

I think that after the baked Alaska incident that they started giving separate fridge/freezers to each baker. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Right? I kept yelling at him to get his head out of there and shut the door! 

I do that EVERY week when they keep opening the oven doors to check on their bakes.  There's a reason there's a window in the door.  Don't open it unless you absolutely HAVE to.

• Love 8
On 9/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, Rinaldo said:

That's my memory too. They have cutters of several sizes, and they seldom seem to realize that they need to choose one big enough to come up to the top of the muffin tins. (Without needing to push them up, which destroys whatever layers they've achieved, and usually shrinks back anyway.) I suspect that there's some domino effect going on with the choice of cutters too -- the size the first baker chooses is likely to be copied by others, on the "If I don't know what I'm doing, at least I won't do worse" principle. Knowing how big a round is needed to fill a certain size muffin cup can legitimately be considered a basic bit of know-how. 

They go back a long way, too. There's one made with sour cream in Alcott's Little Men, when one of the little girls is taught how to cook.

How hard is it to measure...the bottom of the muffin tin across, add the distance from bottom to top x 2. If the tin is 2 inches across the bottom and 1 inch deep, use a 4" cutter.

5cm x 2½ cm, use a 10cm cutter.

• Love 6

Part of me wants to blame editing for a lot of the Paul elimination controversy.  They concentrated so much on the BIG goof ups by Priya and Michael (or was it Henry?  or both? crap, can't remember now), that it really made the negative comments about Paul's creations pale in comparison.  But, everyone in the room seemed genuinely surprised, so maybe it was a really weird call in the end. 

Although Priya's horrendous Maids of Honor were, at least in my memory, the worst end result of any bake of any season, I think it was probably the easiest to forgive.   Yes, it would have ranked about a .5 on a 10 scale.  But I don't think anyone was above a 3 on that technical. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, chaifan said:

But, everyone in the room seemed genuinely surprised, so maybe it was a really weird call in the end. 

I think everyone was focused on the BIG screw ups. I think only the judges were really looking at more taste and creativity and potential to wow them in the next round. 

Phil was good but he wasn't a risk taker, and this show has a history of forgiving risk takers over those who play it safe or do predictable, especially if the risk takers food tasted better. 

I rewatched with the ending in mind. Michael wasn't going to be out. They were impressed with his idea of putting the cheesecake in the cake, even if it didn't actually work out, and the flavors were amazing. I think Priya's flavors in the show stopper saved her because up till then I think her critiques had her just lower than Phil. I think Phil was always going to be gone but they struggled with if Priya should be the second one out they keep threatening. In the end her flavors saved her. 

I'll miss Phil, but I'm not gutted about his leaving nor do I think it was the wrong choice. He didn't make any huge mistakes but he didn't do anything very well either.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, theatremouse said:

They got four hours - plenty of time to have an ice cream set up.  If he made it first and put it in, and left it alone, it should have been fine.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2019 at 11:14 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I will caution that before you buy anything directly from the Nordicware site, check Amazon or Williams-Sonoma first, they may have it cheaper. 

The King Arthur Flour website runs sales on those pans from time to time, too.

Sur la Table has way better prices and more selection on them than williams-sonoma.

• Love 2
On 9/21/2019 at 6:41 PM, dgpolo said:
On 9/21/2019 at 4:43 PM, lovinbob said:

It may have been rude but even if it was the best tasting thing in the universe she was always going to be last. She didn't even have half of what she needed to have on that plate, and what was there looked horrendous.

I'm not fussed about Phil going home because I don't think he was long for the tent anyway, but I do have to wonder about keeping someone whose food you thought was so bad you didn't even want to try it. I know they usually give the bakers a bit of latitude during the technicals but it still seems an odd choice to make.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:21 AM, ombelico said:

The thing with Henry's ice cream (or his plan for it) that bugged me is that, at least as shown in the show, it seemed that he was *constantly* opening the freezer door to check on it. All that's going to do is raise the temperature in the freezer and make it even harder for the ice cream to freeze and set properly. If he really had his heart set on ice cream, he should have prepped it first thing, thrown it in the freezer, and then left it there in the closed freezer for the remaining hours, until the last minute when it would need to be plated.

Oh my god, me, too!!! Every time he opened the freezer, I shrieked at him to keep the door closed. It still might not have fully set but the constant checking couldn't have helped.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

My despondency, and distress, and disillusionment was due to the fact that 10 British adults had no clue what a Tudor Rose looks like!

I was seriously shocked that not one of them knew what a Tudor Rose was. The Tudors were kind of a big deal in their country, no? lol

• Love 2

I was perfectly fine with Phil going home. All of his bakes were unmemorable, and his decorating was amateurish. He was not long for this show. I was surprised, however, that Priya was not eliminated as well. If they have to do a double elimination, this was the time to do it. The judges said it was a very close call, so why not both of them. I am behind in my viewing, so I don't know what happens next, but Priya gives me the impression of being a middle-of-the-pack contestant. I'd rather see the double elimination now than later in the game, when the bakers left are more talented and I will be sorrier to see them go.

Wow that was the worst technical ever.  You could have stuck Pillsubury dough in the cupcake molds and filled it with Jello pudding and beaten out everyone except Stef.  I’ll never try and make those things lol.

I wasn’t surprised Phil was eliminated at all.  He had the most mediocre showstopper, and showstopper has more weight than technical.  He wasn’t anything special in the other two rounds either.  Who else would they have let go, Priya?  She is clearly a superior baker to Phil and did well in the showstopper.

Edited by Dobian
On 9/18/2019 at 8:23 PM, TVbitch said:

I had no idea what Mishtis are, and I still don't. This is where I REALLY miss how the old show would do a short piece on the origin and history of the bake.  

These are small, balls/ovals/different shapes made from sweet cottage cheese or sweetened condensed milk, as shown. They are Bengali desserts. These are usually supposed to be small enough to be mouthfuls, or 2 mouthfuls at most, so I was surprised at how large some of them were. 

On 9/18/2019 at 9:44 PM, Danny Franks said:

Those milk sweets didn't appeal to me at all, and as a whole, I thought the choice of dairy as a theme was underwhelming. I don't think I'd be queuing up to eat anything that they made this week.

The recipe they showed made it seem almost like they are making one particular type of mishti called Kalakand / milk cake. It really is delicious without need any additional flavoring. It was interesting that none of the contestants chose to make a traditional one. 

On 9/20/2019 at 11:03 PM, illdoc said:

Mishi doi is sweet yoghurt so technically it isn't a 'mishti'.

On 9/21/2019 at 4:26 PM, Danny Franks said:

If Phil had done better, then I think they probably would have opted to send both of the other two home. But he didn't. It was a bunch of stamped, multicoloured sweets and a plastic garden gnome.

I was surprised no one dinged him for the gnome. Usually they don't like non edible elements in the presentation (except cocktail umbrellas). 

On 9/22/2019 at 7:55 PM, peeayebee said:

I love Henry's sense of humor. In the bread ep, I cracked up at the way he said, "Bread can take a hike." And then his comment about his ice cream thing maybe being eaten in prison was funny and self-deprecating. 

The thing is, he was making kulfi, not ice-cream. Don't know why he kept calling it ice-cream. (One of the things kulfi doesn't have is that freezing thing that ice-cream has, for example - is that gelatin?). They are different beasts. I think he'd have done better if he's made them smaller / put lesser amount in the molds (moulds). He was also using the wrong molds, it felt like. When my mum makes them she puts them in aluminum cases. Plastic would hold the heat in, I'd have thought. 

On 9/24/2019 at 3:11 AM, meep.meep said:

They got four hours - plenty of time to have an ice cream set up.  If he made it first and put it in, and left it alone, it should have been fine.

Well to make kulfi one has to first boil the milk to make sweetened condensed milk which then has to be frozen, therefore I can understand it taking some time. I also wonder if maybe the mixture wasn't thick enough - if it is too runny it takes some time to freeze as well. 

All this from my childhood spent watching my mom slave over the stove making her famous kulfi. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2