Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Shattered Dreams

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

On a scale of 1 to smashing an entire apology cake into someone’s face, how furious do you think Mother Sumit was that Jenny still hadn’t left?

I'm sure she keeps wondering why this dusty ass woman with her Droopy Dog face refuses to leave her son alone and won't leave India. And if Jenny weren't such an immature self-absorbed twit, she would recognize how pissed she'd be if one of her friends decided to roll in and begin an affair with Jenny's daughter. But let's be honest, Jenny doesn't have friends her own age because her friends in their 50s and 60s would have told her she was acting like a lovelorn teenager. Her financial planner thought she was being stupid.

• Love 22
On 9/17/2019 at 8:29 AM, hisbunkie said:

There is nothing the US embassy can do for Jenny. Travelers make the mistake of thinking the Embassy will somehow rescue citizens from their foolish decisions. 

Lets see: Jenny has a six year relationship with a man child .  She follows him to India.  Turns out he is married.  Man child family intervenes.  Jenny is left stranded in India.  What is the expectation of the US Embassy?  Get her home? Get her crisis counseling? Get man child back into her loving arms?  

I was hoping that since she was reported to the local police she could get advice or some sort of help or representation like a lawyer or something from the embassy. We all know there’s no way they’d provide marriage counseling. 😂

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, Gobi said:

He was in the previews for this week's episode.

I’ve been dealt a terrible blow because my cutting cable to basic kicked in today so I won’t see the end on these fools. I’m upset about MSNBC  Comedy Central ,BBC and HGTV too. Those are tragic . but I’ll be back here reading the live feed banter. 

Edited by athousandclowns
Words
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

That public hospital in South Africa looked relatively clean overall. Tiffany is so worried about giving birth at the public hospital, but she never brings up the fact that if Daniel were to become seriously ill, he has to go to the public hospital because they have no money. She says Daniel is her top priority, but she has brought him to a country she describes as dangerous and third world, and has him living with a guy who got out of rehab 5 minutes ago and who she doesn't even trust with a credit card. Not exactly mother of the year. 

Since Summit is already married, won't Jenny get kicked out of India when her Visa expires in a month or whatever? If she stays, she is there illegally, and God only know what the punishment in India is for that if they are willing to lock her up for living with a married man. 

Edited by Kellyee
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18
6 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I’ve been dealt a terrible blow because my cutting cable to basic kicked in today so I won’t see the end on these fools. I’m upset about MSNBC  Comedy Central ,BBC and HGTV too. Those are tragic . but I’ll be back here reading the live feed banter. 

I think you can find this show on YT if you're okay with that.  I think I had to resort to that once because I had bought a season pass on Amazon but couldn't get an episode for some reason and it was on YT.  

I watch apprenticeUK which is a BBC show and I could not find it anywhere to buy a season pass but the program was always on a site called Dailymotion, which is kind of like a classier version of YouTube

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I cut cable totally and subscribed to Hulu Plus.  All the trashy shows at my fingertips and I saved lots of money as well. Best thing I've ever done.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

TLC.com carries the episodes after the original broadcast.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I cut cable totally and subscribed to Hulu Plus.  All the trashy shows at my fingertips and I saved lots of money as well. Best thing I've ever done.

Yep, I cut the cord and switched to Philo which has a ton of networks, both live feed and a pretty cool DVR setup.  The only thing it doesn't have is Bravo, so I just buy RHONYC seasons from Amazon.  It has no sports or news channels, but I wouldn't watch any of that shit anyway.  I also have basic Hulu to watch other crap like MasterChef and they have a pretty decent lineup of movies.    I spent about $30 a month for my TV entertainment, a fraction of what cable was costing for about 300 channels I never watched.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I think PrimeTimer needs to do a 90 Day Fiance tshirt on Cafepress with the words "What a blow we've been dealt."  I would totally buy it and I would burst out in laughter if I saw someone else watching it knowing they are a Primetimer viewer!

I love this. Anyone a veteran of TWOP, the Showbiz Moms and Dads forum? Someone had t shirts made that said "Big in Belgium" in honor of one of the kids on that show, a kid who was singularly unblessed with talent, except in the eyes of his doting mama.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
On 9/18/2019 at 12:51 PM, HunterHunted said:

I thought Laura's retelling to Aladin of her argument with Liam was very interesting. Laura said that Liam wants Laura to never have love in her life and that Laura is too old. That is not what Liam said at all, but of course that's how Laura would interpret it. Laura is self-absorbed, immature, and has a fatally broken picker.

Exactly. I see people saying bad things about Liam and that it's not his choice who his mom sees and he's being selfish, etc. Even though he's an adult, he can recognize a bad relationship when he sees one and should tell his mom how he feels... maybe not on the wedding night, so maybe the timing was off... but he should definitely share how he feels. I don't know what's up Aladin's sleeve, but it's something unless he truly has a fetish for women that are like Laura. And Laura left her son and moved to a foreign country for some 20 something year old who she hardly knew.. so I understand why he'd be annoyed at her.. plus we have no idea what went on beforehand in her dating life and if this relationship is any indication, then i'm sure his feelings are valid. He shouldn't be able to dictate who she dates, but he certainly should share his opinion.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Did they break into the apartment? I remember being shocked by Jenny’s description of Father-in-Law Sumit sitting on her couch and telling her that the family was on their way over. I would have expected him to be too busy introducing Sumit’s feet to his esophagus for such niceties.

Actually, her account of things was weird in that IF Sum it's FIL speaks perfect English, then he is of a certain class/caste that has enough education to speak fluent English. The way Sumit has always spoken about his own family, I got the impression they were villagers with little formal education. But a fluent English-speaking FIL, and thus highly likely a fluent English-speaking wife means Sumit can't hide as much as he would have been able to if they'd only been Hindi or local dialect speakers. If the latter, it would be impossible for them to read social media in English, let's say. So his hiding this is all the more suspect to me now, as in the whole story is a made up story so Jenny could be on TV and add some spice into her and her daughters lives, because guess who got to be on TV too..?!? 

Edited by gingerella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Exactly. I see people saying bad things about Liam and that it's not his choice who his mom sees and he's being selfish, etc. Even though he's an adult, he can recognize a bad relationship when he sees one and should tell his mom how he feels... maybe not on the wedding night, so maybe the timing was off... but he should definitely share how he feels. I don't know what's up Aladin's sleeve, but it's something unless he truly has a fetish for women that are like Laura. And Laura left her son and moved to a foreign country for some 20 something year old who she hardly knew.. so I understand why he'd be annoyed at her.. plus we have no idea what went on beforehand in her dating life and if this relationship is any indication, then i'm sure his feelings are valid. He shouldn't be able to dictate who she dates, but he certainly should share his opinion.

Lauras way of manipulatively lying relating a story or event let's me know that over the years Liam has only ever heard Laura's side of the story when every relationship broke down.

I love my mom to death, but every once in a while she does this sort of thing and you have to really go to the other person my mom has been "wronged" by to get the other side of the story.  But Liam has only ever heard his mother's side of the story....one in which Laura was ALWAYS horribly treated and did nothing wrong.  

It's like that saying "if you meet an asshole you met an asshole, if you only meet assholes....you're the asshole"

And now, a lifetime of telling Liam that she is a poorly treated victim in every relationship is coming back to haunt her.  

Laura likes drama and being the victim.  She will LOVE it if aladin and Liam hate each other but love her.  

• Love 5

Sounds like optimistic news for  mamadrama . 

Thanks  for suggestions on cable solutions I’ve written them down.  I dropped landline today ( yeah I know ,but I’m old) and as soon as contract is up will eliminate it all. 

On topic it’s one thing to be so embarrassingly desperate but to drag family in and put it on public display is beyond my comprehension. That’s a lot of miles to travel to be a booty call.  Or a sidekick.    

• Love 1
On 9/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, Mu Shu said:

Im not buying Jihoon as a criminal. He made a mistake and paid for it. Speaking of criminals, Ronald was very weird. Like this anger just under the surface he was only just containing. 

Ronald was so mad when they went to the public hospital.

Like it was beneath him to enter the establishment and check it out.

"I will get the funds to pay for a private hospital!"

How Ronald? By pawning off your mom's fridge again?!?! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
On 9/17/2019 at 8:39 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

It may be editing and I can't explain it but Ronald scares me, he just seems so angry and resentful and about to snap at any moment. I am afraid for Daniel and the new baby.

Ronald looks so angry in all of his scenes. I think it's because his masculinity is being threatened/undermined with every scene they film.

They're showing the worst of SA in this series.  Ronald has no funds right now and I'm sure Tiffany's extended stay is probably very different to the fun vacation time they had together when she visited before. They were doing safe, tourist stuff (without a kid) and Tiffany was probably spending money and not worrying about it. Now, the tables have turned and it looks like she is expecting him to fund everything... while he is probably seething inside thinking the 90 Day Fiance check should cover their costs.

If I was Tiffany, I would go back to the States because I don't think a life with Ronald is sustainable. He appears to think the world owes him something and he doesn't seem to be doing anything to rectify his issues. 

• Love 12
On 9/19/2019 at 1:17 PM, Rt66vintage said:

I'm curious too, and about the timeline. How old was Liam when his parents divorced, and how old was he when they lived with a certain man for a couple of years? I hope we get to see some pictures of Laura's past boyfriends; are they younger good looking, bad boy types? A poster on Auntie's Advice said Laura must have imbibed in a lot of wine when she was pregnant with Liam. It would explain a lot. 

Yes.  And....who was this “you know who” that Liam referenced when talking with his mom?  Editing made it sound like it was his father (they cut right to Laura talking about his father)...but then wouldn’t Liam have called him “my father” instead?

• Love 1

I can only imagine Tiffany in the US and Ronald in SA. She’ll have him on face time 24/7 watching his every move. She will have to give him access to money. He’s going to be free to do whatever he wants to and she’s unable to control him. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/20/2019 at 10:02 AM, OrchidThief said:

MamaDrama just posted her condition. It sounds like the doctors have located the problem and they will probably treat her there until it’s resolved. But she is better, safe, and in good spirits!

Oh no. Just seeing about MamaDrama. Please send her my love too. I told her previously that I fantasized she was Ann Rule (even after I knew she died).

5 hours ago, iwasish said:

I can only imagine Tiffany in the US and Ronald in SA. She’ll have him on face time 24/7 watching his every move. She will have to give him access to money. He’s going to be free to do whatever he wants to and she’s unable to control him. 

The look on that doctors face who had to do that tour said everything. This is not the tour a bunch of expectant mothers and dads take in the states. 

Her son needs to get back to the states STAT. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Meowwww said:

And....who was this “you know who” that Liam referenced when talking with his mom?

I don't think it was his father since Liam is in his 20s and it sounded like Laura was in a few LTRs after they got divorced. Was Liam's father the guy that Laura shaved his head when she caught him cheating or could that have been "You know who"? 

• Useful 1
On 9/16/2019 at 11:13 PM, nutella fitzgerald said:

If Sumit’s been married for two years, then this really puts a new spin on the scene where he told his friends about his plan to marry “that Jenny?!” - was the entire conversation scripted?

Speaking of That Jenny, she can miss me with her wailing and rending of garments over Father-in-Law Sumit’s brilliant disguise of a motorcycle helmet making it possible for him to carry out the dastardly plan of, well, following Sumit to his love nest. I hope Wife Sumit had friends to cocoon her with takeout and wine while her husband’s mom beat his ass with a flip-flop.

I guffawed loudly (as opposed to demurely) when Jenny dramatically described how Father-in-Law Sumit disguised himself. The woman really does think she’s in a Harlequin romance novel.  And what in the actual shit is she still doing in India?? The silly cow should have taken the first flight out to anywhere. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

I'm so late to post this!  Damn going out on a Sunday causing me to be late to watching the show.  

Let's cut directly to the good good:  OMG.   As a Desi, that story about the whole hubbub with Sumit's family and IN-LAWS was SO freaking Indian.  15-20 ppl deep in the apartment b/c err'ybody call err'ybody?  Check!  Mother Sumit knocking down Sumit's murti in dramatic Bolly fashion?  Check!  Mother Sumit about to beat her son for obviously shaming the entire family?  Check!  15-20 ppl dragging away a grown ass man from his 61 yr old and their love nest?  Check!  Sumit's WIFE being a part of the whole thang?  Check!  Sumit's declaration of love for Jenny in front of 15-20 family members including his WIFE?  Check!

This was DELICIOUS.  I, however, genuinely feel bad for Jenny.  It's fucked up that he just let her be the homewrecker in this situation.  You can tell he has feelings for her and wants to be with who he wants, but he made choices when he married his wife.  Also, such traditional adherence requires some things other than just a few trips 'round the mandap, you know?  If he's been married for more than 2 years, I truly wonder if there are kids in this situation too.

Jenny.  Go home.  

• Useful 3
  • LOL 7
  • Love 9

K, Just now watching this........I'm always behind!

Jennnnni and Suuuuumeat- I can't believe TLC / Sharp was not there for the showdown!  Jenny is an idiot for not getting a plane ticket back home or at least going to the American embassy and explaining what a dumbass she is and how she might be facing Indian prison or a family smackdown for upsetting an Indian marriage under law b/c her lying boyfriend lied again to her.

Laura and Aladin- Why did Liam come?  It was a free trip?  Laura is full of bad decision making and is going to do what Laura is going to do; Liam should know that he can't make her change her mind by now.  Otherwise Aladin and his friends and family seem completely accepting and loving of Laura and her bad choices .

Corey's poor mom 😞  Corey should just stay there and not go back to the evil one.

Karine looked beautiful and it was nice watching Pol's mom interact with her and the baby.  I'll bet Pol suckered her into sponsoring Karine during this trip.

I'm calling bull on the SA hospital.  I'm sure sharp/TLC  wrangled up the poorest most depressing one they could find for Tiff tiff to tour.  I have more faith in the SA healthsystem and just just chose to film at the jankiest one they could find.  Also the doctor (nurse? receptionist?) looked like a cruise ship director or a member of the seaorg.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, doyouevengohere said:

K, Just now watching this........I'm always behind!

Jennnnni and Suuuuumeat- I can't believe TLC / Sharp was not there for the showdown!  Jenny is an idiot for not getting a plane ticket back home or at least going to the American embassy and explaining what a dumbass she is and how she might be facing Indian prison or a family smackdown for upsetting an Indian marriage under law change her mind by now. 😞

Can you imagine someone seriously trying to put Jenny in an Indian jail? The international outrage would be epic! It'll never happen, but would be great television, and you know TLC would love it! I'd watch.

talk about a blow......

Edited by blubld43
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 9/20/2019 at 1:00 PM, gingerella said:

Actually, her account of things was weird in that IF Sum it's FIL speaks perfect English, then he is of a certain class/caste that has enough education to speak fluent English. The way Sumit has always spoken about his own family, I got the impression they were villagers with little formal education. But a fluent English-speaking FIL, and thus highly likely a fluent English-speaking wife means Sumit can't hide as much as he would have been able to if they'd only been Hindi or local dialect speakers. If the latter, it would be impossible for them to read social media in English, let's say. So his hiding this is all the more suspect to me now, as in the whole story is a made up story so Jenny could be on TV and add some spice into her and her daughters lives, because guess who got to be on TV too..?!? 

Idk, Ive seen a lot of Hindi movies, and all the people are constantly switching from Hindi to English, randomly, when they speak. I would guess that this has to do with the history of India's Britiah colonization or their education system, not sure. So it might be a lot more common to be an English speaker in India (depending which region) than previously thought

• Love 1
3 hours ago, doyouevengohere said:

I'm calling bull on the SA hospital.  I'm sure sharp/TLC  wrangled up the poorest most depressing one they could find for Tiff tiff to tour.  I have more faith in the SA healthsystem and just just chose to film at the jankiest one they could find.  Also the doctor (nurse? receptionist?) looked like a cruise ship director or a member of the seaorg.

I didnt think the SA hospital was THAT horrible. From what I gathered, they are short on space, and do not allow partners to be there for thei births. I would have thought that wherever Karine gave birth was MUCH worse. I had my first baby in a different country in a hospital kind of similar to the SA one, partners were not allowed inside, and we had several beds in one room with partitions between us. Not much privacy, but access to meds/epidural/doctor. Had my 2nd baby in the US, and was pleasantly surprised by having a private, spacious room to give birth in, not that any of it mattered during my labor. Tiffany is an utter idiot and I dont care for her, thinking with her hormones instead of her head. I wish she would stop complaining, she chose all of this, it wasnt chosen for her. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, Lily247 said:

Idk, Ive seen a lot of Hindi movies, and all the people are constantly switching from Hindi to English, randomly, when they speak. I would guess that this has to do with the history of India's Britiah colonization or their education system, not sure. So it might be a lot more common to be an English speaker in India (depending which region) than previously thought

I have spent alot of time in India working there, and movies do not represent the language abilities of the vast majority of people on the sub-continent. If you are of a certain class and have a modicum of education, or if you work in a tourist industry, then yes, you would likely speak English. But for example, the vast majority of rickshaw drivers in Delhi, which is a fairly cosmopolitan city as far as Indian cities go, do not speak a lick of English, to the point where they don't stop for foreigners because they know they cannot understand where they will want to go. The way Sumit has portrayed his family, I've gotten a village bumpkin vibe from him, perhaps they are more educated and higher caste than he makes them out to be?

Also, if that photo is indeed his actual wife, she's quite light skinned compared to Sumit who is darker skinned. In India, the lighter the skin, the more beautiful and desirable a person is. It's sad but it's true. My friend, a French woman who worked there, was adopting a baby, and she had to go through counseling sessions with a psychologist as part of the foreigners adoption process. During the counseling, the counselor advised her to 'please choose a light skinned baby' so that it would 'fit in better' in her world. She was appalled and instead, chose the darkest skinned baby in the orphanage because she knew that dark skinned girl would be shunned her entire life for being dark skinned, for being a girl, and for being an orphan. Turns out that little girl has blossomed into a beautiful young woman thanks to her mom!

That maternity hospital was quite nice for SA standards, to be honest. I've seen waaaay worse than that there Not that it makes it up to par for an American giving birth because we're used to a private rooms and a much lower ratio of nurses to patients. I have used private clinics there before when I've been ill and while they're not fancy, they were fine and I felt they were clean and of good standard. I'm sure the private hospital options would look more like what we think of here, but no idea the cost. I don't think it'd be anywhere near what it might cost for someone uninsured here though. I wonder if this idiot had medical insurance coverage in the US and if so, why doesn't she come the fuck home to have this kid? People this dumb shouldn't be allowed to procreate. Daniel seems like a nice kid, but I'm guessing that's the dad's gene pool and not hers.

*steps off soapbox*

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

During the counseling, the counselor advised her to 'please choose a light skinned baby' so that it would 'fit in better' in her world. She was appalled and instead, chose the darkest skinned baby in the orphanage because she knew that dark skinned girl would be shunned her entire life for being dark skinned, for being a girl, and for being an orphan. Turns out that little girl has blossomed into a beautiful young woman thanks to her mom!

Love this. 

I cannot wait for this shitshow tonight - it's the only good thing about Mondays! 

• Love 4
On 9/20/2019 at 1:37 AM, spacenutty said:

I was hoping that since she was reported to the local police she could get advice or some sort of help or representation like a lawyer or something from the embassy. We all know there’s no way they’d provide marriage counseling

Jenny does not need marriage counseling...she needs single counseling. More specifically, Single Woman Over Sixty Counseling. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Unless there is another photo floating around of Sumit's wife, the one being referred to isn't real. They were photoshopped photos of a Bollywood actress with Sumit in formal attire from a different occasion, not his wedding. I think she was a backup dancer and not a headliner, but it was discovered almost immediately.

I don't think any actual photos of Sumit's wife have been found.

• Useful 7
19 hours ago, doyouevengohere said:

Sharp loves to portray any foreign country as poor, backward, primitive and filthy. 

LOL, on live chat, I was plaintively asking why the hospital representative was dressed like a rear admiral! 

16 hours ago, Lily247 said:

I think any middle/upper class Indian with an education speaks at least some English. It is one of the most spoken languages in India. Pretty obvious that Sumit and family aren't laborers from the village. They are middle class folk who have office jobs--at least till they quit so they can canoodle full time with their geriatric sweeties. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 9/20/2019 at 9:50 AM, Persnickety1 said:

Yep, I cut the cord and switched to Philo which has a ton of networks, both live feed and a pretty cool DVR setup.  The only thing it doesn't have is Bravo, so I just buy RHONYC seasons from Amazon.  It has no sports or news channels, but I wouldn't watch any of that shit anyway.  I also have basic Hulu to watch other crap like MasterChef and they have a pretty decent lineup of movies.    I spent about $30 a month for my TV entertainment, a fraction of what cable was costing for about 300 channels I never watched.

Does philo have love after lockup? Asking for a friend. 

• LOL 6
On 9/19/2019 at 9:44 PM, nutella fitzgerald said:

Did they break into the apartment? I remember being shocked by Jenny’s description of Father-in-Law Sumit sitting on her couch and telling her that the family was on their way over. I would have expected him to be too busy introducing Sumit’s feet to his esophagus for such niceties.

Yea, I dont think they broke in, they just all insisted on going inside and Sumit felt cornered and didnt have a choice. If this storyline in true (it seems fishy) then I feel awfully bad for his wife. I believe in India there remains a stigma towards divorced women. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Oh yes, indeed it does!  It has all the WeTV and TLC travesties (and ID Discovery, too).  😄 

How exactly does this Philo work? I just googled them and it seems like they have all the channels I watch. But can I watch them on my Smart tv or only on phones/tablets? And does it have an on demand type of option like cable? Their website doesn't have a lot of information. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lily247 said:

Yea, I dont think they broke in, they just all insisted on going inside and Sumit felt cornered and didnt have a choice. If this storyline in true (it seems fishy) then I feel awfully bad for his wife. I believe in India there remains a stigma towards divorced women. 

Exactly.  It's why, no matter what Sumit sucks and so does Jenny if she refuses to leave.  

No matter what Sumits wife agrees feels forced into in order to avoid the stigma of divorce she has been publicly humiliated through no fault of her own.  So if Jenny and sumit try to justify continuing this nonsense because sumits wife "agreed to it" it's baloney.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

How exactly does this Philo work? I just googled them and it seems like they have all the channels I watch. But can I watch them on my Smart tv or only on phones/tablets? And does it have an on demand type of option like cable? Their website doesn't have a lot of information. 

@Hannah94, I watch it on my Smart TV.  I've never tried their mobile app.  My vision is horrific and I'd never be able to really see anything clearly on such a small screen.  Philo is about $18 a month and it has tons of channels (no sports and no news, which is fine by me).  It doesn't have network stations or Bravo, though, so I usually buy seasons of Bravo shows from Amazon Prime (which is now down to only RHONYC).  I think they usually have a 30-day free trial going on, so you could probably give it a try and see if it's what you're looking for.  😄