Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Shattered Dreams

• Start Topic

So.... ultimately I think that Liam may have a very skewed view of Laura's past relationships and boyfriend's because....like any kid....he believes his mother...... and Laura, I'm sure is always playing the role of victim.

Liam also seems very dependent on Laura though. He doesn't appear to have much of his own life. Compare him with Jenny's daughter. Jenny is also doing stupid shit, and her daughter is sad and tries to point it out, but she isn't all ridiculous and dramatic about it. She's letting her mother make her own bad choices. Liam and Laura almost seem to be in their own bonded relationship, and it is almost like a love triangle. Which is disturbing. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

Liam also seems very dependent on Laura though. He doesn't appear to have much of his own life. Compare him with Jenny's daughter. Jenny is also doing stupid shit, and her daughter is sad and tries to point it out, but she isn't all ridiculous and dramatic about it. She's letting her mother make her own bad choices. Liam and Laura almost seem to be in their own bonded relationship, and it is almost like a love triangle. Which is disturbing. 

Too bad Ludwing couldn’t make the wedding.

• LOL 5
  • Love 13
30 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I thought Laura's retelling to Aladin of her argument with Liam was very interesting. Laura said that Liam wants Laura to never have love in her life and that Laura is too old. That is not what Liam said at all, but of course that's how Laura would interpret it. Laura is self-absorbed, immature, and has a fatally broken picker.

I agree with all of this -- that was not what he said, and she's supremely selfish and immature, and most likely picks men and acts in ways that will guarantee she'll be dumped.  I think that that is part of her love addiction. 

She's terrible and she needs to deal with that love addiction (sometimes called sex and love addiction, maybe that's her too -- I haven't watched long enough).  But none of that takes away from the fact that Aladin is also terrible.  I do not for one second believe he's in love with her, at all, to ANY degree; if he's in love with anything it's the opportunity she represents, and I reckon he'd be willing to use her to get what he wants and then will toss her aside when he has (she knows how to pick 'em!).  That makes him a straight up scammer to me. I think that's even worse than whatsherface who has a layer of sympathy-evoking psychological delusion and dysfunction to protect her from my harsh judgment. (As sappy and pity prone as I am, that layer is gossamer thin.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, Jel said:

supremely selfish and immature, and most likely picks men and acts in ways that will guarantee she'll be dumped.  I think that that is part of her love addiction

If that sentence alone is not a prescription for some mental health I don't know what is.

Gee, maybe Liam is right about her, she has tried relationships quite a few times and each one was a fail, maybe she should take a step back and look inward and really examine herself, maybe seek professional help.  Seems Awkward Liam hit the nail on the head.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Jenny is 60 going on 16 year old. Both times she told the story it became super obvious how freaking weird and screwed up her reactions were. The group comes in and they're screaming at Sumit and Jenny. Jenny runs to the bedroom and locks herself in (normal reaction). She leaves the bedroom to try to break up the fighting (normalish reaction). She tries to pull Sumit into the bedroom so they could "figure this out. (What is there to figure? He's married. Dumb reaction)" Jenny starts caterwauling because they ripped Sumit from her arms...her arrrrrrrms (Girl really? So dumb and silly). The family threatens to call the police and have Jenny arrested. Jenny doesn't call her family or the US embassy; she calls production (So dumb). She waits many days to Skype with her family. When asked she's still there, Jenny responds with a baleful "he said he loves me" (Shut up you silly geriatric thot).

A normal person would have noped out of India as soon as these people walked out of the apartment.

Oy, Jenny is an absolute dolt.  

I thought maybe she was postponing contacting her daughter because she was embarrassed to let them know they were absolutely right and something was "off" with Sumbitch (and it was even worse than they had imagined).

I worked with a woman (whom I dearly love and is one of my best friends) who hooked up with assorted dudes off of Match.Com.  She had left her husband and moved in with her adult daughter, son-in-law, and grandbaby.  

They were concerned enough about her hooking up with these randos off of the site, but then when she started staying gone for a day or two without them knowing where she was or if she was okay, and then when they learned she was giving out their home address, they lovingly but firmly told her she had to move.  They said it caused them way too much stress worrying about who she was with, if she was okay, when/if they should start looking for her, and whether one of these dudes would show up at their door.  It made them feel unsafe, for her and for them and the baby.  

If Sad Sack Dolt Jenny does end up coming back to America and living with her daughter, I wonder if she'll start perusing local dating sites...and if so, how that will go over with her daughter after this astoundingly stupid decision with Sumbitch.  If I were her daughter, I'd never trust her (obviously impaired) judgment again.  

• Love 12

What kind of irks me too about these people is that it seems important that they date someone "hotter" than what they'd ordinarily attract at home. Like the 60 year old wrinkly, chubby, regular American man isn't good enough for Jenny or Laura!

It adds an element of shallowness to their delusion, and that bugs me.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 21
4 minutes ago, Jel said:

What kind of irks me too about these people is that it seems important that they date someone "hotter" than what they'd ordinarily attract at home. Like the 60 year old wrinkly, chubby, regular American man isn't good enough for Jenny or Laura!

Look on the bright side - If it wasn’t for people like that, this show wouldn’t exist.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I have to defend Liam a little bit: I don’t think we have seen any enough of Liam to know whether he has a life of his own or not.  Liam‘s life isn’t part of the storyline so they’re not gonna be showing Liam‘s friends or him at work or anything.  He may not have much of a life of his own, but we haven’t been shown anything that would demonstrate that. 

It’s a little bit easier to see some of Jenny’s daughter’s life because Jenny was living with her and Jenny brought her wife to come visit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
59 minutes ago, OrchidThief said:

Our friend MamaDrama (whom I know in real life) has been taken to the hospital in an ambulance...possible young-person stroke. Let’s all send her good thoughts.

OMG, please send my thoughts and prayers with everyone else's.  Can you update when you get a minute?  TYIA

• Love 16
2 hours ago, RealReality said:
3 hours ago, OrchidThief said:

Our friend MamaDrama (whom I know in real life) has been taken to the hospital in an ambulance...possible young-person stroke. Let’s all send her good thoughts.

OMG, please send my thoughts and prayers with everyone else's.  Can you update when you get a minute?  TYIA

I only know this because she posted from the ambulance and her very extraordinary and brave son Sam (age 6 or eight) posted on FB that someone needed to take his dad to the hospital, which is quite far away. His grandmother is with him and his sister. So far that is all I know. I unfortunately live 2000 miles away but we have become good online friends. I’ll post the second I hear anything. She already had one stroke and was scheduled for some sort of head surgery — this happened when she was driving her son to a med appt of his own and he called 911 when she was stricken. This is one smart little boy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

My gosh. Darcy's insecurity/competition with her sister really hit a new, aggravating low for me when she had to change into heels so she wouldn't be shorter than her sister.  It must be so exhausting to feel you have to compete like that all the time.  It's like Darcy is compelled and cannot turn it off.

I think the reason why Darcy cried at the honeymoon bridge in Albania (or whatever it was called) had ZERO to with Darcy being concerned and wanting the British guy (whatever his name is/Tom?) to have a good time on the trip- and 100 million percent with dude saying he didn't think about marriage often.  Darcy is jealous that her sister has a fiance and she doesn't.  Darcy just exhausts me.  Hate her perpetual desperate energy.  And apparently Tom does too. He looked like he wanted to jump off the bridge.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, beesknees said:

My gosh. Darcy's insecurity/competition with her sister really hit a new, aggravating low for me when she had to change into heels so she wouldn't be shorter than her sister.  It must be so exhausting to feel you have to compete like that all the time.  It's like Darcy is compelled and cannot turn it off.

I think the reason why Darcy cried at the honeymoon bridge in Albania (or whatever it was called) had ZERO to with Darcy being concerned and wanting the British guy (whatever his name is/Tom?) to have a good time on the trip- and 100 million percent with dude saying he didn't think about marriage often.  Darcy is jealous that her sister has a fiance and she doesn't.  Darcy just exhausts me.  Hate her perpetual desperate energy.  And apparently Tom does too. He looked like he wanted to jump off the bridge.

100 gazillion percent!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, HunterHunted said:

Someone on Reddit suggested that the reason Darcey keeps saying her relationship with Tom has been going on for 4 years is because it's longer than the three and a half years Stacey and Florian have been together.

WHY does this not surprise me?  What the heck is with the constant one-upping?  The look on Tom's face of pure exhaustion when Darcy was opening the suitcases in the dark in the middle of the street just said it all.  He was already over it at that point.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, beesknees said:

WHY does this not surprise me?  What the heck is with the constant one-upping?  The look on Tom's face of pure exhaustion when Darcy was opening the suitcases in the dark in the middle of the street just said it all.  He was already over it at that point.

Tom knows he will not be taking her to the airport when it is time for her to go hom, he will call a cab and Darcey will equate that to how Tom did not want a messy airport goodbye, it would be you know so, you know, emotional for him, you know.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Someone on Reddit suggested that the reason Darcey keeps saying her relationship with Tom has been going on for 4 years

I guess the Jesse years don’t count.  Or was she emotionally cheating on Jesse?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

My guess is.....she recently met Tom online, and she is lying about knowing him for 4 years. Because all this talk about "we have been talking and flirting for 4 years" is exhausting bullshit. WE SAW YOU WITH JESSE, dimwit. I really wish Darcy wasn't so high maintenance (to us, the viewers, that is). She wears me out so much that it drains the energy out of me and I am slacking off with my exercise regime because I need a nap after watching her hysterics. Watching a grown ass woman, a mom to boot, cry over every little thing or not even anything at all, embarrasses the entire female population. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Spike said:

3 hours ago, Hannah94 said:

My guess is.....she recently met Tom online, and she is lying about knowing him for 4 years. Because all this talk about "we have been talking and flirting for 4 years" is exhausting bullshit. WE SAW YOU WITH JESSE, dimwit. I really wish Darcy wasn't so high maintenance (to us, the viewers, that is). She wears me out so much that it drains the energy out of me and I am slacking off with my exercise regime because I need a nap after watching her hysterics. Watching a grown ass woman, a mom to boot, cry over every little thing or not even anything at all, embarrasses the entire female population. 

I think Darcey has known Tom for 4 years, but she didn't give him the time of day until recently once she and Jesse were done. Darcey is a lot like the KGB or many scripted TV shows--meaning she's willing to revise history or retcon the facts to suit her current narrative. Unfortunately, Darcey is so insecure and bonkers that I think she can't keep track of her shifting narratives and facts. She really only started paying attention to Tom as a potential romantic partner during the past year. I don't know how serious any of it was until right before filming began

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 9
25 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I think Darcey has known Tom for 4 years, but she didn't give him the time of day until recently once she and Jesse were done. Darcey is a lot like the KGB or many scripted TV shows--meaning she's willing to revise history or retcon the facts to suit her current narrative. Unfortunately, Darcey is so insecure and bonkers that I think she can't keep track of her shifting narratives and the fact. She really only started paying attention to Tom as a potential romantic partner during the past year. I don't know how serious any of it was until right before filming began

Exactly.  Shifting narrative.  Her basically telling tom to shove it 4 years ago but talking to him peripherally while pursuing Jesse and then whining to him about Jesse can definately be explained into a four year relationship if you're Darcy 🙄

• Love 10
5 hours ago, beesknees said:

The look on Tom's face of pure exhaustion when Darcy was opening the suitcases in the dark in the middle of the street just said it all.  He was already over it at that point.

I think the cab was still there? He should have jumped in and went right back to Nottingham. Leave Darcy's desperate and dumbass sitting on the sidewalk.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mr. Minor said:

I think the cab was still there? He should have jumped in and went right back to Nottingham. Leave Darcy's desperate and dumbass sitting on the sidewalk.

Imma have to run over to the spoiler thread cause I wanna know if Darcey and Tom are still together now.  I don't know what Tom does for a living but if they're still together I'd be surprised.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Known fact: Nothing locks down a reluctant man faster than cloying desperation!

Make him feel like he's your consolation prize because you couldn't work it out with someone else and that engagement ring is a sure thing. Add an element of "This isn't very real, but sheesh, I have to beat my twin sister" and just sit back while he makes all the wedding plans.

(When's sarcastifont being installed?)

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
27 minutes ago, Mr. Minor said:

It's a long cab ride from Albania to Nottingham.

• LOL 4
13 hours ago, OrchidThief said:

Please let her know we're all hoping for her fast recovery.

8 hours ago, beesknees said:

While these are great comments, you're all in the wrong thread.  Darcy is on Before the 90 Days.  This is The Other Way.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Jel said:

Exactly!  However, in Jenny's case I'm not seeing the "hotter" in Sumit.  However, he lured her in with the six pack catfishing photo.

• Love 3

My impressions:

(1) Karinne won me over this episode.  She was incredibly gracious and looked lovely when greeting Paul's mom.  Paul's mom, as odd as she is, was also lovely with Karinne.  Pierre is beautiful.

(2) Couple with ZERO money and a "former" gambling addict may need to "somehow scrape up the money," for a private hospital for the birth of the baby?  Unless Ronald is about to sell his kidney, it's the perfect storm for him to place a few bets and get wayyyyy back in the hole/jailed.  And wow, this show is not exactly a flattering portrayal of South Africa.  I suppose it's accurate.

(3) Jenny and Sumit.  I don't think she's acting.  I think this 60 something woman has the emotional maturity of a 15 year old.  Guarantee you her daughter has always been the parent in this family.

(4) Darcy seems handicapped by her own looks.  I suspect when she was much younger, her and her twin got tons of male attention.  Now that she's older and gets less attention, she has to be much more in their faces to get the attention she used to get easily.  Now it requires (she thinks it requires) hair extensions, falsies, thigh high boots, short dresses, boobs all out.  But all that is attracting the wrong men for the most part and once they get beyond the easy fuck, she's not good looking enough at her age and she's too much of an empty shell to keep them interested  She's struggling with understanding why her face and body aren't enough anymore.  Plus she's so desperate that the men that do stick around are ultimately turned off by the desperation.

(5) Liam. I feel for him b/c he's probably witnessed his idiot mother used up by multiple men. He knows Aladin isn't in love with his mom, just like we all do.  It has to be 10000 times worse to be the child of one of these idiots watching it all go down fully knowing that at some point Laura is going to be sobbing about how she was blindsided by what every else could see.  And he'll have to pick up the pieces like he's done before.  

Edited by sasha206
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

I think PrimeTimer needs to do a 90 Day Fiance tshirt on Cafepress with the words "What a blow we've been dealt."  I would totally buy it and I would burst out in laughter if I saw someone else watching it knowing they are a Primetimer viewer!

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

I think PrimeTimer needs to do a 90 Day Fiance tshirt on Cafepress with the words "What a blow we've been dealt."  I would totally buy it and I would burst out in laughter if I saw someone else watching it knowing they are a Primetimer viewer!

One with Jenny’s picture and one with Mykuhl’s?

• LOL 1
On 9/18/2019 at 9:59 AM, Persnickety1 said:

Did we ever get an explanation of who "you know who" was during this episode?  Liam said it a couple of times and it appeared to be maybe Laura's most recent partner before Aladin, but it was all sorts of confusing since that person was never named or further details given.  

I'm curious too, and about the timeline. How old was Liam when his parents divorced, and how old was he when they lived with a certain man for a couple of years? I hope we get to see some pictures of Laura's past boyfriends; are they younger good looking, bad boy types? A poster on Auntie's Advice said Laura must have imbibed in a lot of wine when she was pregnant with Liam. It would explain a lot. 

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:17 PM, Mothra said:

From Wikipedia:

The US has the "highest rate of maternal mortality in the industrialized world."

Giving birth in Libya or Estonia is safer than giving birth in the US, as is giving birth in Cyprus, Montenegro, or Croatia.  Safer than Lebanon (but just barely), more dangerous than Kazakhstan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_maternal_mortality_ratio

These figures are from 2015, so there may be some changes, but I posted this to remind us Americans that we are not the end-all and be-all, especially not in medical care.  Although we do spend the most money per capita than any other country in the world.  Tiffany would do well to see if she can get into Finland for the birth of her baby.

Mothra,  your post made me think about the issue of both maternal and infant mortality and how surprising the high number is--even higher now than the 2015 data provided in your link.

I found an interesting article in Smithsonian Magazine with a truly horrifying statement that 60% of those deaths are preventable with better medical care.  

Posting the link here:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/cdc-says-more-half-us-pregnancy-related-deaths-are-preventable-180972140/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, OrchidThief said:

Oh, no!!  Prayers ascending for MamaDrama.   I have vague recollections that she wasn't in great health.

1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

(5) Liam. I feel for him b/c he's probably witnessed his idiot mother used up by multiple men. He knows Aladin isn't in love with his mom, just like we all do.  It has to be 10000 times worse to be the child of one of these idiots watching it all go down fully knowing that at some point Laura is going to be sobbing about how she was blindsided by what every else could see.  And he'll have to pick up the pieces like he's done before.  

He mentioned once that his mom has a temper and I think it is easier for him to focus on Aladin's possible motives than on his mother's.  And his mother showed her manipulative streak by misrepresenting what she said.  I still think Aladin wants to use her to come to American;  he can marry her and not worry about having children that would link them forever.   She manages to look better in her talking heads than when she is being filmed with him.   I do think it is rude of Liam to not be at the wedding at all;  it does sound like an exhausting experience after a flight.

As to a comparison between Liam and Jenny's daughter that people have mentioned--- Liam is a very young man and Tina is probably pushing 40.  Tina has more experience in the world.   Tina and Jen need to sit down with both Laura and Jenny and have a little chat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, LookABird said:

Mothra,  your post made me think about the issue of both maternal and infant mortality and how surprising the high number is--even higher now than the 2015 data provided in your link.

I found an interesting article in Smithsonian Magazine with a truly horrifying statement that 60% of those deaths are preventable with better medical care.  

Posting the link here:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/cdc-says-more-half-us-pregnancy-related-deaths-are-preventable-180972140/

Edited to add:  Just read about Mamadrama--please get better fast!  I think this is the second such attack that has occurred, and I want our beautiful, smart and funny Mamadrama back here right now!

Please know your friends here are pulling for you and sending you love.

--------------------------------------------

And even the rich and famous are not immune from poor medical care that can and does lead to death.  Serena Williams knew something was wrong after she gave birth and became short of breath, and no one paid attention to her complaints.  Fortunately, she persisted and was able to receive the test and treatment she needed, overruling the doctors who were treating her, thus saving her own life. https://fortune.com/2018/01/12/serena-williams-birth-story-black-women/

I'm telling you--head for Finland.

Edited by Mothra
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Edited to add:  Just read about Mamadrama--please get better fast!  I think this is the second such attack that has occurred, and I want our beautiful, smart and funny Mamadrama back here right now!

Please know your friends here are pulling for you and sending you love.

--------------------------------------------

And even the rich and famous are not immune from poor medical care that can and does lead to death.  Serena Williams knew something was wrong after she gave birth and became short of breath, and no one paid attention to her complaints.  Fortunately, she persisted and was able to receive the test and treatment she needed, overruling the doctors who were treating her, thus saving her own life. https://fortune.com/2018/01/12/serena-williams-birth-story-black-women/

I'm telling you--head for Finland.

Yes, much love to @mamadrama.  

I believe John Ritter's death was also caused by medical error.  I'm working and don't have time to verify right now, but I believe he made a couple of trips to the ER the day he died and was (IIRC) told he was having anxiety but ultimately was discovered to have aortic aneurysm.  You're right, wealth does not always equate to top-notch medical care even in America.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Jenny is 60 going on 16 year old. Both times she told the story it became super obvious how freaking weird and screwed up her reactions were. The group comes in and they're screaming at Sumit and Jenny. Jenny runs to the bedroom and locks herself in (normal reaction). She leaves the bedroom to try to break up the fighting (normalish reaction). She tries to pull Sumit into the bedroom so they could "figure this out. (What is there to figure? He's married. Dumb reaction)" Jenny starts caterwauling because they ripped Sumit from her arms...her arrrrrrrms (Girl really? So dumb and silly). The family threatens to call the police and have Jenny arrested. Jenny doesn't call her family or the US embassy; she calls production (So dumb). She waits many days to Skype with her family. When asked she's still there, Jenny responds with a baleful "he said he loves me" (Shut up you silly geriatric thot).

A normal person would have noped out of India as soon as these people walked out of the apartment.

On a scale of 1 to smashing an entire apology cake into someone’s face, how furious do you think Mother Sumit was that Jenny still hadn’t left?

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

It will be interesting - or perhaps not - if we see Sumit again on this shit show... I cannot imagine a scenario where he would be allowed to go back on camera by his family with Jenny. It will be so fucked up if all we have to go on now is what Granwife says about what happened...I want Mother Sumit's account of how the blows were dealt!

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, gingerella said:

It will be interesting - or perhaps not - if we see Sumit again on this shit show... I cannot imagine a scenario where he would be allowed to go back on camera by his family with Jenny. It will be so fucked up if all we have to go on now is what Granwife says about what happened...I want Mother Sumit's account of how the blows were dealt!

He was in the previews for this week's episode.

2 hours ago, OrchidThief said:

Hello All! Our pal MamaDrama just sent out a FB post from her phone. She didn’t share details of her condition, but she is operational as a human! Still in the hospital. Will share when she says more.

Wishing all the best for MamaDrama, I will be waiting with virtual snacks, flowers and wine and snark. Please keep us posted!

• Love 6
On 9/18/2019 at 3:45 PM, HunterHunted said:

Jenny is 60 going on 16 year old. Both times she told the story it became super obvious how freaking weird and screwed up her reactions were.

Jenny's relationship with Sumit was doomed from the moment he catfished her, he lied about who he was, using a photograph of a white British man, I believe.  Then when he "came clean" to Jenny she thought he was cute.  

Jenny never wondered, "if he lied to be about who he was, what else can he lie about?"  No, Jenny went about it like a teenager, believing this was the greatest romance ever.  When Sumit's family went all gangster and broke into the apartment (which is all kinds of fucked up if you ask me), Jenny probably wanted to pull Sumit into the bedroom, grab some things and then run off together, because that's her mentality.  She doesn't care that he's married, that he lied to her, the only thing that matters is that he loves her.  

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

When Sumit's family went all gangster and broke into the apartment (which is all kinds of fucked up if you ask me), Jenny probably wanted to pull Sumit into the bedroom, grab some things and then run off together, because that's her mentality.

Did they break into the apartment? I remember being shocked by Jenny’s description of Father-in-Law Sumit sitting on her couch and telling her that the family was on their way over. I would have expected him to be too busy introducing Sumit’s feet to his esophagus for such niceties.

• Love 1